Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will Jose Mourinho succeed as Tottenham Hotspur Head Coach?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1986 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Jose Mourinho appointed Tottenham Hotspur Head Coach

Mourinho being lined-up as the new manager?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Mourinho being lined-up as the new manager?
    No chance

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    No chance

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mourinho losing a home game against a team he has formerly managed....

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho says he "accepts my actions were not in line with government protocol" after being pictured flouting coronavirus social-distancing guidelines.

Mourinho was pictured leading a training session with record signing Tanguy Ndombele on Hadley Common.

Davinson Sanchez and Ryan Sessegnon were filmed running together through the same London park.

Serge Aurier posted a video of himself on Instagram jogging alongside another.

Spurs said they have spoken to the players to "remind them to respect" the government's coronavirus guidelines, while the Metropolitan Police said it was "aware" of the social media footage but "no complaints had been received in relation to this incident".

Mourinho said: "I accept that my actions were not in line with government protocol and we must only have contact with members of our own household."

"It is vital we all play our part and follow government advice in order to support our heroes in the NHS and save lives."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the players and Mourinho should be leading by example.

The Premier League has been suspended since March because of the pandemic.

A spokesperson for Tottenham said: "All of our players have been reminded to respect social distancing when exercising outdoors.

"We shall continue to reinforce this message."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52208509

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Goodbye football.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Goodbye football.
    Football died a decade ago, only barca and real madrid were keeping football going. Once messi and ronaldo retire, football will be officially DEAD!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain caveman View Post
    Football died a decade ago, only barca and real madrid were keeping football going. Once messi and ronaldo retire, football will be officially DEAD!
    Nonsense. Messi & Ronaldo are not bigger than football. Football will never die.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be an inspired choice especially if Mourinho goes back to basics and concentrates on what he already has rather then what he doesn’t...

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a masterstroke! Reminds me of when Klinsman was snapped up by Spurs!

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like a very bad fit to me.
    Mourinho apart from porto, has achieved success at big clubs that were willing to fund mourinho's big money transfers, daniel levy, the spurs chairman is alot more frugal with his money !
    Looks like a disaster in the making.

All the people saying mourinho would get offers from the big clubs like madrid etc may have woken up to the fact that mourinho wasnt getting any big offers and had to settle with spurs.
    The fact is mourinho is on his way down and managers like klopp are the new sort after managers.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Nonsense. Messi & Ronaldo are not bigger than football. Football will never die.
    I never said messi or ronny were bigger than football!
    They are just the two last greats of the game left, the rest are just tripe.
    By the way maradonna was the greatest and between 1970 til 2010, footbal was at its peak, skill wise.
    Now you have £100million pounds players like pogba and bale lol!
    Football is dead, indians and pakistanis are always 20/30 years late with trends.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I never said messi or ronny were bigger than football!
    They are just the two last greats of the game left, the rest are just tripe.
    By the way maradonna was the greatest and between 1970 til 2010, footbal was at its peak, skill wise.
    Now you have £100million pounds players like pogba and bale lol!
    Football is dead, indians and pakistanis are always 20/30 years late with trends.
    Did football die after Pele retired? Did football die after Maradona retired? No.

What has being Pakistani or Indian have to do with anything? Get off your high horse.

Btw, the greats from yesteryear are greater. Messi/Ronaldo have hardly achieved anything for their respective countries.

Regarding player value..the market is now vastly different to what it used to be.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did football die after Pele retired? Did football die after Maradona retired? No.

What has being Pakistani or Indian have to do with anything? Get off your high horse.

Btw, the greats from yesteryear are greater. Messi/Ronaldo have hardly achieved anything for their respective countries.

Regarding player value..the market is now vastly different to what it used to be.
    I said maradonna was the greatest footballer of all time.
    After pele came maradonna.
    After maradonna came ronaldo(original brazilian) and zadan.
    Then came messi and ronny.
    Messi and ronny are much lesser players than the playes above, but still world class.
    Unfortunately, the decline of football from this century continues, with no new emerging player comparable to the players mentioned above.
    Football is dying.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said maradonna was the greatest footballer of all time.
    After pele came maradonna.
    After maradonna came ronaldo(original brazilian) and zadan.
    Then came messi and ronny.
    Messi and ronny are much lesser players than the playes above, but still world class.
    Unfortunately, the decline of football from this century continues, with no new emerging player comparable to the players mentioned above.
    Football is dying.
    wow you're delusional. First of all who are Zadan and Ronny? Secondly, only person who would say such a thing is someone who follows the world cup once every 4 years and only knows about 2-3 players that he hears about from his friends.

There's more money and more following in football right now than there has ever been. There's a load of young exciting players coming through and in fact more competition than ever. Football is not dying you just don't know anything about it

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    East Midlands, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should be interesting as Jose likes to spend big money and wants ready made powerhouse players at the expense of promoting youth players.
    Not sure the big money will be made available, and Spurs have historically, even more so under Pochettino, promoted players from youth teams.
    I wonder how this will play out.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you are thinking, but football isn’t going to die any soon.

The World is going to witness some great players:

Frenkie de Jong
    Joao Felix
    Barella
    Mbappe
    De Ligt
    Halånd
    Militaò

And these are just a few of the next gen.

The quality is there and so is the potential.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Not sure what you are thinking, but football isn’t going to die any soon.

The World is going to witness some great players:

Frenkie de Jong
    Joao Felix
    Barella
    Mbappe
    De Ligt
    Halånd
    Militaò

And these are just a few of the next gen.

The quality is there and so is the potential.
    Youngsters these days think it’s all about Messi & Ronaldo

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mueez compare your overhyped list, to my all time greats

Maradonna
    Pele
    Ruud gullit
    Marco van basten
    Romario
    Ronaldo(brazillian)
    Zidane
    Ronaldhino
    Messi
    Ronaldo

Now just accept football is dying!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Spurs is bigger than Arsenal now. They have more ambition and they will win the league before Arsenal.

2007-2008 was the last time Arsenal looked like proper contenders. The decline of the club over the last 11 years is not forgivable.

Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke, Raul and Emery have all contributed to turning Arsenal into a joke. Raul had the power to make things right but he blew it.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Spurs is bigger than Arsenal now. They have more ambition and they will win the league before Arsenal.

2007-2008 was the last time Arsenal looked like proper contenders. The decline of the club over the last 11 years is not forgivable.

Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke, Raul and Emery have all contributed to turning Arsenal into a joke. Raul had the power to make things right but he blew it.
    Add to that some of the fans.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I also feel dejected that we have missed the chance to rope in Mourinho.

Having said that, I would be happy if we can get Pochettino instead - but when will our board act?

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mueez compare your overhyped list, to my all time greats

Maradonna
    Pele
    Ruud gullit
    Marco van basten
    Romario
    Ronaldo(brazillian)
    Zidane
    Ronaldhino
    Messi
    Ronaldo

Now just accept football is dying!

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iqbal'sh View Post
    This should be interesting as Jose likes to spend big money and wants ready made powerhouse players at the expense of promoting youth players.
    Not sure the big money will be made available, and Spurs have historically, even more so under Pochettino, promoted players from youth teams.
    I wonder how this will play out.
    Very badly.
    But mourinho will get a nice fat cheque to go with his P45 in about 18 - 24 months time.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    wow you're delusional. First of all who are Zadan and Ronny? Secondly, only person who would say such a thing is someone who follows the world cup once every 4 years and only knows about 2-3 players that he hears about from his friends.

There's more money and more following in football right now than there has ever been. There's a load of young exciting players coming through and in fact more competition than ever. Football is not dying you just don't know anything about it
    Right, the first WC I watched was in 1978.
    I followed football from then on watching teams like liverpool, forest and villa win the european cup (thats the real champions of europe cup, not this champion league rubbish, were a team can finish fourth in their domestic league and still be crowned champions of europe). I continue to enjoy football weekly through to the last great WC in '98, but from 2000 the standard of football and footballers has declined drastically, with the exception of barca and madrid. But these last 10 years have just been plain awful.
    Zadan is zidine zadan aka zuzu
    Ronny is cristian ronaldo aka CR7
    Now, go away with your mbappe and pogba and bales .

Oh yeah i forgot, you are right theres more money in football than theres ever been, but thats one of the reasons that football is dying, when average players like pogba, mbappe and bale are going for £100million, i guess a peak maradonna today would be worth £10 Billion.
    How long will football survive with these inflated prices and over rated players.
    Just like the economic crash of 2008, everything looked rosey before the crash.

Never judge quality by price, thats a poor mans metric!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, the first WC I watched was in 1978.
    I followed football from then on watching teams like liverpool, forest and villa win the european cup (thats the real champions of europe cup, not this champion league rubbish, were a team can finish fourth in their domestic league and still be crowned champions of europe). I continue to enjoy football weekly through to the last great WC in '98, but from 2000 the standard of football and footballers has declined drastically, with the exception of barca and madrid. But these last 10 years have just been plain awful.
    Zadan is zidine zadan aka zuzu
    Ronny is cristian ronaldo aka CR7
    Now, go away with your mbappe and pogba and bales .

Oh yeah i forgot, you are right theres more money in football than theres ever been, but thats one of the reasons that football is dying, when average players like pogba, mbappe and bale are going for £100million, i guess a peak maradonna today would be worth £10 Billion.
    How long will football survive with these inflated prices and over rated players.
    Just like the economic crash of 2008, everything looked rosey before the crash.

Never judge quality by price, thats a poor mans metric!
    Spot on!

I grew up in the late 70s/80 and it was Liverpool, Forrest (previous generation), with a hint of Chelsea! Got, Got, Need! Remember those Panani albums like it was yesterday!

Your point is simple, back then the quality was better because players played for the love of the game, and not some commercial advert!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Add to that some of the fans.
    Why?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why?
    Probably referring to Arsenal Fan TV.

Just out of curiosity do you follow that Fan Channel?

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    No chance
    What was that?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was that?
    Closest theyll get to winning a trophy.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Having said that, I would be happy if we can get Pochettino instead - but when will our board act?
    Lucky escape!
    Mourinho is one of the reasons football is dying, such a negative tactical coach.
    Get Pochettino, if you guys are alright with a former spurs coach as your coach?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucky escape!
    Mourinho is one of the reasons football is dying, such a negative tactical coach.
    Get Pochettino, if you guys are alright with a former spurs coach as your coach?
    Whilst I agree the style of football he adopts for his teams do not exactly fill viewers with joy, we need a proven manager who can fix our defence and is tactically proficient.

I hope we get Pochettino but I think he'll end up in Europe.
    Last edited by topspin; 20th November 2019 at 18:46.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Probably referring to Arsenal Fan TV.

Just out of curiosity do you follow that Fan Channel?
    AFTV was refreshing initially but now it is pure business. The usual suspects have made themselves celebrities by criticizing the club and are making money out of it. They have all quit their day jobs.

They get angry when they are told that when Arsenal loses they win. Unfortunately it is the truth.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AFTV was refreshing initially but now it is pure business. The usual suspects have made themselves celebrities by criticizing the club and are making money out of it. They have all quit their day jobs.

They get angry when they are told that when Arsenal loses they win. Unfortunately it is the truth.
    I understand and I agree they get more ratings whenever Arsenal but all football fan/analyst entities have commercial interests. I do think the platform has been useful in raising awareness with the issues of the club from top-down (Kroenke to Coach).

I personally enjoy listening to Claude (bald chap) because I find his blunt reading of the game refreshing whilst holding an accurate portrayal of the issues with the manager, team and the board. I also like Moh because he analyses the game really well. I know for a fact that he hasn't quit his day job because I've met him and he's a Chartered Accountant.

The two most prominent faces are DT and Troopz. The reason why they get the most views is because their presence on the channel is merely for drama, so I don't take them seriously but they are entertaining.

The one I really detest is Ty. I can't tell if he's deluded or just a very good actor.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

Pochettino has bigger options. Madrid, Bayern, United, possibly PSG and Juventus in the future as well. Unless he has an axe to grind against Spurs, there is no reason why he would agree to settle for Arsenal.

Arteta is the only realistic option at the moment who would generate excitement among the fans.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pochettino has bigger options. Madrid, Bayern, United, possibly PSG and Juventus in the future as well. Unless he has an axe to grind against Spurs, there is no reason why he would agree to settle for Arsenal.

Arteta is the only realistic option at the moment who would generate excitement among the fans.
    Agreed, I don't see him coming to Arsenal. Will most likely end up at Bayern or end up holding for Man u/Real Madrid.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    East Midlands, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way, the most that can be expected from Jose is a couple of trophies in a couple of seasons (which probably is Spurs aim) before the roof caves in - leaving the club in a worse place than when he arrived.
    Arsenal need to stick with Emery until the end of this season and then make a decision.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good manager for arsenal would be diego simone

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good manager for arsenal would be diego simone
    Or maybe brendan rodgers

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Or maybe brendan rodgers
    You must be a ManU fan😜, otherwise soccer wasn’t more exciting than this in last 30 years you know; though I must say when I started watching this game it was a mens business, a contact sports.

Best two British managers now are BRogers and Eddi Howe, both young and encourage quality soccer. I think, eventually BRogers will end up at MU (he has an unfinished business to settle at Anfield) and Howe at Arsenal May be. Chelsea has their manager for two decades while MCity will always try to bring a shiny name - Ronald Koeman may be next after his Dutch show. Two young German managers are struggling now at bottom, but both are brilliant managers.

Next list topper in sack race are Unai, Marco Silva, Pellegrini, Hassen’l and of course MU’s own Ole. .... while I believe Rafa will return from China and not a bad choice for Arsenal (he won’t join MU). Gradually, it’ll become a race to finish in top half of EPL.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe brendan rodgers
    If you want to think out of the box and try a young manager, how about patrick viera, your former captain.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to think out of the box and try a young manager, how about patrick viera, your former captain.
    Worse come to worse, just give wenger a call(doesn't look that bad now does he).

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Mou is back!!!! Guy must have the best Manager looking his account. He has opted for the toughest assignment of his career - Manager of Dan Levy’s team!!! This deal wasn’t cracked overnight, therefore I have to say Poch was betrayed by Spurs leadership.

I think, the mood at Spurs is such that, JoMou will feel the heat from game one - they are at 13th (?) on the table after making the CL final less than six months back and still the manager got sacked. Come January, Mou can instantly win lots of hearts if he can convince Levy to pay for Bale - may be Spurs might some bucks from Real as well in case of an exchange deal swapping Eriksen. We’ll definitely see a more compact Spurs team now as Mou’s organization is unquestionable, and this one might not be as boring as the MU one, because Spurs do have lot more quality.

Won’t last long though - this guy will end up at Real, Bayern or Juve for one last time. Still, good luck, as long as it stays - Spurs finally will settle some scores in North London now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's recent managerial performance has been rancid and his strategy doesn't appear it can challenge the likes of Liverpool and Man City. But let's see as he is a proven serial winner.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    He will do something special at Spurs. That is why I badly wanted him at Arsenal - he is too sharp not to learn from his mistakes at Chelsea and Man United.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    East Midlands, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I agree the style of football he adopts for his teams do not exactly fill viewers with joy, we need a proven manager who can fix our defence and is tactically proficient.

Arsenal need to sort their midfield, apart from Guendouzi showing glimpses of promise they have an abject midfield who cannot protect the back four, win the ball back or supply the forward line with precision or accuracy.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No way, the most that can be expected from Jose is a couple of trophies in a couple of seasons (which probably is Spurs aim) before the roof caves in - leaving the club in a worse place than when he arrived.
    Arsenal need to stick with Emery until the end of this season and then make a decision.
    Arsenal need to sort their midfield, apart from Guendouzi showing glimpses of promise they have an abject midfield who cannot protect the back four, win the ball back or supply the forward line with precision or accuracy.
    Well I'm not even thinking about trophies because we're reeling so much, we can't even think that far ahead.

For now I just want to be in the top 4, so we can play in the Europe's most prestigious competition (UCL), which will allow the club to attract top talent. The way to do that is to improve our defence, but I'm not associating this primarily with the personnel, I want a manager who will reinforce our defensive capabilities with the existing team (in the short-term), so we can defend smarter.

I agree that the base of our midfield is the major concern in relation to the make-up of the players in the middle of the park. The problem is Emery has persisted with Xhaka (until that substitution incident 2-3 weeks ago) at the expense of Torreira, who I think is a quality midfielder. He was a shining presence for Uruguay (couple of days ago) against an Argentina side that had Messi.

Torreira's impact at Arsenal has also been compounded by the fact that Emery continues to play him out of position, as an attacking midfielder.

But somehow you believe Emery should remain till the end of the season

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Response on the rumour:

If Mourinho ends up at Spurs, I might as well quit football. I firmly believe that Arsenal is his preferred destination at the moment.
    Conformation of Jose as Manager at Spurs:

Goodbye football.
    Quick scour of Google on the facts:

He will do something special at Spurs.
    2 U-turns in this thread alone. The Johan Cruyff of trolling. Why oh why do people give this poster the time and space of day.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Response on the rumour:

Conformation of Jose as Manager at Spurs:

Quick scour of Google on the facts:

2 U-turns in this thread alone. The Johan Cruyff of trolling. Why oh why do people give this poster the time and space of day.
    Here we go again. How does it feel to play dumb over and over again? I actually fear that you don’t play dumb. You are... never mind.

I said “goodbye football” because as an Arsenal supporter, I cannot bear to see Mourinho take Spurs to greater heights, especially when Arsenal had the opportunity to appoint him.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    East Midlands, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm not even thinking about trophies because we're reeling so much, we can't even think that far ahead.

For now I just want to be in the top 4, so we can play in the Europe's most prestigious competition (UCL), which will allow the club to attract top talent. The way to do that is to improve our defence, but I'm not associating this primarily with the personnel, I want a manager who will reinforce our defensive capabilities with the existing team (in the short-term), so we can defend smarter.

I agree that the base of our midfield is the major concern in relation to the make-up of the players in the middle of the park. The problem is Emery has persisted with Xhaka (until that substitution incident 2-3 weeks ago) at the expense of Torreira, who I think is a quality midfielder. He was a shining presence for Uruguay (couple of days ago) against an Argentina side that had Messi.

Torreira's impact at Arsenal has also been compounded by the fact that Emery continues to play him out of position, as an attacking midfielder.

But somehow you believe Emery should remain till the end of the season
    I wouldn’t have Jose, not because I don’t think he will win trophies, but the state that he will leave the club after his 2/3 year tenure ends. Anyway Arsenal have moved away from the Manager to a Head Coach set up and Mourinho wouldn’t fit into this.

I don’t know how old you are but I remember when it was widely speculated that Fergie was one defeat away from getting the sack, this after he had been Man Utd boss for over three years without anything noteworthy to report despite spending heavily in the transfer market. The rest is history.
    Before you start comparing Emery with Fergie, I’m simply trying to make a point about how fans today are after immediate results and will endorse sacking managers after less than two years in post. That is less than two years in which to change the mentality and direction of the club post Wenger who was there for more than two decades. In the last 18 months Arsenal are already on their second set of Directors after Sanlehi and Mislantat departed. I think you need to cut Emery a bit more slack since someone with his record doesn’t become a bad manager overnight.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t have Jose, not because I don’t think he will win trophies, but the state that he will leave the club after his 2/3 year tenure ends. Anyway Arsenal have moved away from the Manager to a Head Coach set up and Mourinho wouldn’t fit into this.

I don’t know how old you are but I remember when it was widely speculated that Fergie was one defeat away from getting the sack, this after he had been Man Utd boss for over three years without anything noteworthy to report despite spending heavily in the transfer market. The rest is history.
    Before you start comparing Emery with Fergie, I’m simply trying to make a point about how fans today are after immediate results and will endorse sacking managers after less than two years in post. That is less than two years in which to change the mentality and direction of the club post Wenger who was there for more than two decades. In the last 18 months Arsenal are already on their second set of Directors after Sanlehi and Mislantat departed. I think you need to cut Emery a bit more slack since someone with his record doesn’t become a bad manager overnight.
    I wouldn't expect Mourinho to last for long at Arsenal, but we need are in desperate need for a short-term fix.

If we do not get top 4 for a fourth season now in a row, we will lose our best players such as Aubameyang. According to a report I read yesterday, he has refused to extend his contract and has his eyes on a move to Barca.

I'm in my late 20s, but I remember every season since 2000 like it was yesterday.

My dad told me about Fergie's struggles in the first few years at Man U and how at one point he was on the brink of getting sacked.

But football has changed and these days clubs will demand you to hit the ground running because of the commercial implications involved with underperformance.

If we keep Emery, we will almost certainly finish outside the top 4 and subsequently lose our best players. As a result the next manager will have a colossal task on his hands. Emery isn't good enough to coach a mid-table Premier league side let alone a top six English team.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams who play attacking football like arsenal, man u and liverpool, should never hire defensive coaches like mourinho.
    Arsenal, like man u, need to do something, as the PL is boring without these two powerhouses competing for the title.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I understand and I agree they get more ratings whenever Arsenal but all football fan/analyst entities have commercial interests. I do think the platform has been useful in raising awareness with the issues of the club from top-down (Kroenke to Coach).

I personally enjoy listening to Claude (bald chap) because I find his blunt reading of the game refreshing whilst holding an accurate portrayal of the issues with the manager, team and the board. I also like Moh because he analyses the game really well. I know for a fact that he hasn't quit his day job because I've met him and he's a Chartered Accountant.

The two most prominent faces are DT and Troopz. The reason why they get the most views is because their presence on the channel is merely for drama, so I don't take them seriously but they are entertaining.

The one I really detest is Ty. I can't tell if he's deluded or just a very good actor.
    They all feel like playing characters now and it doesn’t come across as genuine. DT has to rant like an idiot, Claude is always bitter etc.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They all feel like playing characters now and it doesn’t come across as genuine. DT has to rant like an idiot, Claude is always bitter etc.
    No way! Claude is anything but bitter lol.

I say this in a good way, he reminds me of a less sophisticated version of you. The way he feels about Arsenal is exactly how you feel about Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I wonder if he can bring Bale back to Spurs in January. A swap deal for Eriksen would work for all parties.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Spurs to win champions league

Spurs 1-0 Real Madrid

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the return of Maureen, it's going to be pure theatre once again in the Premier League (not always for pure football reasons).

The big three are reunited and will slug it out once again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has promised to bring "passion" and "happiness" to the club.

The Portuguese, 56, was appointed on Wednesday morning, following the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino on Tuesday night.

Former Chelsea and Manchester United boss Mourinho praised the quality of Spurs's squad and their "world class" stadium and training ground.

"I couldn't be happier and look forward to the challenge," he said.

In his interview with Spurs TV - his first since being appointed - Mourinho said: "What can I promise? Passion, real passion. Passion for my job, but also passion for my club, that's the way I have been all my career and I want to try, obviously, everything to bring happiness to everyone who loves the club."

Mourinho has signed a contract until the end of the 2022-23 season with a basic salary of £8m a year.

It is his first job since being sacked by United in December 2018.

He takes over a Spurs side that are without a win in their past five games and have slipped to 14th in the Premier League, 20 points behind leaders Liverpool after just 12 matches.

"Even as an opponent, there was always huge respect between me and the club," added Mourinho. "I met you in cup finals, in semi-finals, in big matches and to keep that respect was probably in the back of my mind that one day I could be one of you."

Speaking about the squad he has inherited, Mourinho praised the club for keeping their best players and said he was looking forward to working with the academy players.

"It's a privilege when a manager goes to a club and feels that happiness in relation to the squad he is going to have," he said.

"It didn't happen many times. To be honest, the majority of the times we go to clubs and we always think 'we like some, I don't like enough' and you think immediately about what to do to change, what to do to make an approach between your ideas and the profile of the players.

"This is a completely different case. I really like this squad."

There was also praise for Spurs' £1bn stadium that opened in March.

"I think you are too humble when you say, 'beautiful stadium', too humble," added the former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Porto boss. "You have to say the best stadium in the world. That's the reality.

"The training ground is second to none. It probably can only be compared with some American Football training grounds. You cannot compare it with European football at any level, and I've been in the majority of the best places."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50495686

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Poch had to go because he played Levi into getting a settlement. Poch took a new contract but realised he wont get funding , so began to not do his job properly knowing he will be fired with a good payout.

Jose and Spurs is a marriage destined for divorce. Either Spurs or Jose will need to change or this will be a disaster.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @topspin didn't know you were an Arsenal fan

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    @topspin didn't know you were an Arsenal fan
    Who do you support?

Misbah FC right?

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you support?

Misbah FC right?
    FC Barcelona. Barcelona are in shambles right now these days though.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I wish there was a Misbah FC! Would love to see it.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FC Barcelona. Barcelona are in shambles right now these days though.
    Though I wish there was a Misbah FC! Would love to see it.
    Barca are due a Champions League win. They could do it this year.

I would also love to see Misbah FC because then he might leave our cricket alone, but having said that he would probably want to be the Head Coach of both teams

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way mourinho's reputation and career is nosediving and his love for the premier league and in particular, the london clubs, i can see mourinho in charge at crystal palace in a few years time!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a good appointment. Let the fighting and snarling start!

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A joke of a decision from Tottenham. Poch is their most successful coach to date and the driving force behind the club's transformation to a top club despite consistently losing top players and not having much of a budget to work with relative to other clubs. One bad start to a season and this is how you repay him? Furthermore, I would argue that it's the board's inability to offer improved contracts to key players and not selling Eriksen who has made it clear that he wants to leave (and is struggling this season) that is the root cause of the poor form. I have no doubt that Spurs would have eventually recovered to at least secure a Europa League place under Poch.

Pochettino should sit out the rest of the season and he could have his pick of the United, Madrid, Bayern and PSG jobs at the end of the season and possibly even City or Barcelona. He will be more than fine but Spurs have shot themselves in the foot by letting a top top coach go.
    Last edited by Dios; 21st November 2019 at 05:00.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason to laugh at Spurs and dislike Jose

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho says he will not make the same mistakes at Spurs that he did in previous managerial roles.

The Portuguese replaced Mauricio Pochettino on Wednesday, ending an 11-month spell out of management following his sacking by Manchester United.

"I realised I made mistakes and I'm not going to make the same mistakes," he said.

"I'll make new mistakes - but not the same."

Mourinho, 56, would not be drawn on what mistakes he was referring to.

His time at Manchester United came to an end last December with the club 19 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool.

Mourinho had also reportedly fallen out with £89m signing Paul Pogba and was criticised by fans towards the end of his tenure for playing dull, defensive football.

The former Porto, Chelsea and Real Madrid manager's departure from Old Trafford continued his run of having never completed four consecutive seasons in charge of a club.

"When I don't win I cannot be happy and I cannot change that," Mourinho added. "That is my DNA.

"I hope I can influence my players, because if you are happy losing football matches it is very hard to be a winner.

"Sometimes you have to work with people you don't love and work well. I have principles that I cannot change and one of those is that I don't think I can change."

'I don't need new players'
    Mourinho spent nearly £400m on 11 players during his two years at Manchester United, but believes he has already inherited a quality squad at Spurs.

"The best gift for me, I don't need players," he added. "I am happy with the ones I have.

"I just need more time with them. I know them well from playing against them, but you never know them well enough."

The 56-year-old takes charge of a Spurs side that are 14th in the Premier League with just three league wins all season.

However, he is confident the club's fortunes will soon turn around and they will be back challenging at the top of the table in the near future.

He said: "We cannot win the Premier League this season, but we can win it next season. Not will, but can."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50507469

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Barca are due a Champions League win. They could do it this year.
    Not with the Emery clone in charge.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who has a punt on the EPL, worth putting some money on Spurs winning the EPL 20/21 season. Honeymoon period may be over by xmas, by then cash out on a 50 to 1!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure about how this will go. Mourinho was awful towards the end of his United spell and Chelsea spell. Spurs have players who want to leave or at the end of their peak. Mourinho is not known for rebuilding teams. This is what he is going to have to do at Spurs.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when he became manger of MU i though he would have learnt his mistakes from chelsea and RM and kept his ego in check, but he didnt, so i dont think he ever can, however spurs have got a proven manager who will bring them success for 2/3 years, after that you know what happens.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs are a really good team and a better choice than United. Players like Kane, Eriksen, Son are top notch.

Mourinho will have to go back to his Porto zone in terms of budget but can punch strong.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    West Ham 0-3 Tottenham

Excellent start to his reign (so far)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1986 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The Special One is back with a 3-2 win.

I'm not sure he's the right man for Spurs but time will tell.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mourinho gets Spurs first away win in 10 months.

Statement.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Harry Kane believes new manager Jose Mourinho can end Tottenham's 11-year wait for a trophy.

Mourinho succeeded the sacked Mauricio Pochettino on Wednesday and won 3-2 at West Ham on Saturday in his first game.

The Portuguese has 20 major trophies to his name, but Tottenham are without one since winning the League Cup in 2008.

"The gaffer's won at every club he's gone to - there's no hiding away from that," said Kane, who went to see Pochettino at home after his sacking.

"He [Mourinho] wants to win. He's a proven winner. I've made it clear that I'm at the stage of my career where I want to win trophies.

"I've made it clear I want to win them here and it's a big year for us.

"Realistically we look at the Champions League and the FA Cup this season to try to do that, so we'll see how that goes and then from my point of view I'll keep doing what I'm doing, keep fighting for this club on the pitch.

"We all want to win. We wanted to win when Mauricio was here; we want to win the same now the gaffer's here.

"But of course when someone's got a reputation like he has, it gives you confidence, it gives you that belief in the team.

"It's almost a fresh slate for everyone now to show the manager what they can do and hopefully the players can thrive on that."

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  25.2 KB

Tottenham and England captain Kane has scored 175 goals in 269 games for his club but has no winners' medals to show for it.

Under Pochettino, they finished second in the Premier League in 2016-17, runners-up in the 2014-15 League Cup and lost last season's Champions League final to Liverpool.

A poor start to this season, with just three wins from their opening 12 games, cost the Argentine his job - with Kane paying a visit to his house after the decision had been made.

"I wanted to go and see him, and we had a chat for a couple of hours. It was nice to do that before the new manager came in," added Kane.

"It was a big shock on Tuesday night for everyone, the players included, and then it was a quick turnaround.

"All of a sudden we've got a new manager, one of the best managers there's been in the game, so automatically you have to turn your head towards that and focus on the game."

"His record is unbelievable and he transmits that confidence," said the England international. "The way he speaks, you believe it, you feel it from him. I hope we can win a lot of games and do as well as possible.

"I think he's the perfect person to have followed on from Pochettino.

"That's the feeling I have. We're really happy that if someone was to replace Pochettino it was him, with that winning mentality.

"Before we were trying to win trophies and nothing will change.

"Personally, I think for everyone, we're very lucky to have played under Pochettino and now Mourinho. We couldn't be luckier."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50538931
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th November 2019 at 09:25.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho says signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic for Tottenham "doesn't make sense" because he has the "best striker in England" in Harry Kane.

Ibrahimovic, who played for Mourinho at Inter Milan and Manchester United, is available after his two-year spell at LA Galaxy ended.

The new Tottenham manager said he has "more than a connection" with the former Sweden forward.

But he said: "Amazing player, amazing guy, but I would say no chance."

Mourinho, appointed Tottenham manager last Wednesday after the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino, added: "We have the best striker in England. It doesn't make sense to sign him when we have Harry Kane."

England captain Kane scored last Saturday as Tottenham won 3-2 at West Ham in the Premier League.

He now has 175 goals in 269 games for Spurs, overtaking Martin Chivers to move third on the club's all-time top scorer list.

But while Kane is central to his new manager's plans, Mourinho said that the selection of Christian Eriksen - a substitute at West Ham - will be based on a "perspective of the future".

The Denmark midfielder, 27, is out of contract next summer and has been the subject of intense transfer speculation since the club's Champions League final defeat by Liverpool in June.

While dealing with Eriksen's future, Mourinho also has to concentrate on the perceived hangover from that loss to Liverpool in Madrid.

"If Mauricio says that [losing the final affected the players] then he's been here and he's sharing his feelings. It's like landing on the moon but you don't do it," he said.

"Look at Liverpool; they had the frustration of not winning and then the next season they reached the final and won it."
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50549364.

Bangladeshi Fan