"PM Imran Khan told me Babar Azam should come in at #4 eventually" : Wasim Akram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"PM Imran Khan told me Babar Azam should come in at #4 eventually" : Wasim Akram

Wasim Akram talking to Australian media after the first Test match of Pakistan tour to Australia 2019.

On Pat Cummins’ no-ball wicket of Rizwan

“I think after that incident they called Misbah and the captain—and they went into the [match] referee’s room. They showed them exactly it was inconclusive.”

“[Misbah] just straightaway said it was very conclusive—it’s a no-ball.”

“All of us saw in the replays: the foot was on the line, there was nothing behind the line. It was a no-ball. It has happened now but I hope the umpires just have to be more careful with these decisions. I mean it was a crucial stage for Pakistan in Test cricket. Asad Shafiq was well set, so was Rizwan. He was on 37—a partnership was building up. They could’ve got to 300. When you get 270-280 in Test cricket in first innings—there’s different pressure on the opposition.”

“It was unfortunate it happened but it is happening a bit too much now. I was watching on social media — they missed about 20-21 no-balls. I can understand one or two you miss because it’s a long game: a five-day Test match. But you can’t just miss 21 no-balls in one innings—that’s not good enough.

“So much money in cricket, so much money every channel puts in...and whoever runs the cricket in any country puts into technology — why not for no-balls? It has to be foolproof. If they have to get an extra umpire, I’m all for it—as long as everybody gets a fair chance.”

On PM Imran Khan’s opinion of Babar Azam

“[Imran Khan] messaged me: please wish all the best to Babar Azam—the way he batted.

“And also he mentioned, in his cricketing opinion that [Babar] is such a good batsman, great technique—he should come at number four eventually.”

“I haven’t mentioned this to Pakistan team as yet. It will be a bit too much. But that was his cricketing opinion—he loves his cricket, once a cricketer always a cricketer.”

------------------------------------

“All the top batsman of the world in any era, the top players either batted at number three or number four. So Babar Azam is a quality, quality player. He showed his class the way he batted when he came in—Pakistan were three down for nothing on the third evening. And then him and Rizwan made this brilliant partnership. So at least Pakistan is taking something out of this Test match.”

On Naseem Shah being fit to play in Adelaide

“I reckon he’s going to get three, four days’ rest—he should be okay.

“I am not sure he’s going to play. But if I was in their place—Misbah or Azhar Ali—I would definitely give chance to Naseem. If you played him in Test cricket, you might as well play him in both the Test matches. There’s no point in playing him in one game and have him rest for the next month or two.”

Source: https://player.whooshkaa.com/player/...episode=488432
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 25th November 2019 at 11:54.

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good.

Now watch people get triggered over this.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when has wasim started talking like this? Everyone a pundit these days...

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I know #4 is a safe spot. Personally, I would put Babar at 3. He's at his best when engaged early in the match and takes control of the situation. The later he comes the more he's gonna have to recover for the mental midgets above him.

If he takes control early, the mental midgets around him will also bat with a lot more confidence.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Doha, Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar should be at three, although 4 is good also. But if Babar will bat at 4, who will bat at 3? Haris Sohail was meant to be the number 3 player, but he should bat at 5 after these poor performances in number 3 position

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is correct, Babar should eventually move to number 4.

But these things should not be said. Wasim Khan should refrain from making these things public and Imran should be more careful. When Babar does move to number 4, which he should, and happens to fail in a couple of innings our pathetic politics will take this matter up in the senate and we will have guys like Mushahidullah and the rest debating Babar Azam's batting position and team selections in the upper house of the National Assembly (again). Plus the ruling party will also probably get suckered into it like idiots.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    4 isn't good either.

He should bat at 3.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Should be batting at #3 because he's excellent against fast bowling. Even an early wicket won't faze him due to his experience as an opener.

if not, #4 is the bare minimum.

Can't have your best batsman sitting at #5.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 is perfect for Babar in tests. He should be batting at that number

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Wasim Akram not Wasim Khan.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan traditionally have always had their best batsmen at 5. Babar should also play there.

Any batsman can get a jaffa and at 3 he won't be protected enough. The best player should be around to make the most of the ball once the shine has come off.

You don't want timid players like Asad Shafiq in the easiest batting conditions - you want Babar to stamp his authority.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Pakistan traditionally have always had their best batsmen at 5. Babar should also play there.

Any batsman can get a jaffa and at 3 he won't be protected enough. The best player should be around to make the most of the ball once the shine has come off.

You don't want timid players like Asad Shafiq in the easiest batting conditions - you want Babar to stamp his authority.
    Yousuf and Younus have more than 3000 runs and 4000 runs respectively at no 4 at an avg of 50 plus. So there is no reason Babar cant bat at no 4. Even if we look at other teams their best batsmen in Kohli, Smith, Root bat at no 4 too.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal Ahmad15 View Post
    Babar should be at three, although 4 is good also. But if Babar will bat at 4, who will bat at 3? Haris Sohail was meant to be the number 3 player, but he should bat at 5 after these poor performances in number 3 position

Harris sohail is currently out of Form, so give that Position to Imam Ul Haq (or even Abid Ali can be considerd). Historically in test matches the Best Batsman always played at #4 but Australia changed with Ricky Ponting playing at #3. But Australia then had the worlds best batting line up with top six all averaging well over 40 runs. Pakistan has a very weak batting line up, so Keep Babar at 5 or 4.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    I know #4 is a safe spot. Personally, I would put Babar at 3. He's at his best when engaged early in the match and takes control of the situation. The later he comes the more he's gonna have to recover for the mental midgets above him.

If he takes control early, the mental midgets around him will also bat with a lot more confidence.
    Historically in test matches the Best Batsman always played at #4 (unless your opener becomes your best batsman)even now teams are playing their best batsman at #4 for example Steve Smith for Australia, Kohli for India. Australia changed this rule with Ricky Ponting playing at #3. But Australia then had the worlds best batting line up with top six all averaging well over 40 runs. Pakistan has a very weak batting line up, so Keep Babar at 5 or 4. The reason behind this is to protect the key batsmen from the first new ball. Facing first new ball is the most dangerous session of play because the pacers are fresh and anything can happen.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketAXEpert View Post
    Historically in test matches the Best Batsman always played at #4 (unless your opener becomes your best batsman)even now teams are playing their best batsman at #4 for example Steve Smith for Australia, Kohli for India. Australia changed this rule with Ricky Ponting playing at #3. But Australia then had the worlds best batting line up with top six all averaging well over 40 runs. Pakistan has a very weak batting line up, so Keep Babar at 5 or 4. The reason behind this is to protect the key batsmen from the first new ball. Facing first new ball is the most dangerous session of play because the pacers are fresh and anything can happen.
    For Smith, it doesn't matter. He's scored heavily in both positions. Ponting, Viv and Lara(arguable more successful at 3 than 4) also batted at 3. Batting at 4 to "protect" your best batsman is a cowardly approach.

Facing the new ball is not an issue for Babar. It doesn't change how he approaches the game. He's been doing it since his U19 days, it's second nature to him now.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Babar must bat at 3 or 4 for sure.

I donít think it should make much of a difference.

He failed at 3 before, but that was the start of his career.

He has evolved as a player since then.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    For Smith, it doesn't matter. He's scored heavily in both positions. Ponting, Viv and Lara(arguable more successful at 3 than 4) also batted at 3. Batting at 4 to "protect" your best batsman is a cowardly approach.

Facing the new ball is not an issue for Babar. It doesn't change how he approaches the game. He's been doing it since his U19 days, it's second nature to him now.
    Viv Richards started #3 but later batted at 4. Clive Lloyd batted at 4 because he was their main batsman.
    once Clive retired Vivian Richards took #4 spot and #3 was given to Richie Richardson.
    You can play your best Batsman at #3 only when you have a strong middle order, We don't.

It is not about whether he can play new ball or not. it is about giving the best chance to your best batsman. Also not to give your opposition an opportunity to attack him when they are fresh.

same logic as your favorite line ...A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to see a few more hundreds before be starts batting 3.
    I'm fine with 4 from next series

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Viv Richards started #3 but later batted at 4. Clive Lloyd batted at 4 because he was their main batsman.
    once Clive retired Vivian Richards took #4 spot and #3 was given to Richie Richardson.
    You can play your best Batsman at #3 only when you have a strong middle order, We don't.

It is not about whether he can play new ball or not. it is about giving the best chance to your best batsman. Also not to give your opposition an opportunity to attack him when they are fresh.

Clive was not their main batsman. I know Lara and Viv didn't bat their whole careers at 3 but they were at their best when they did.

Best chance in this fragile team would be for Babar to take control early before the opposition gains confidence having Pakistan down two quickly. This gives him more batsmen to form partnerships with and settles down the rest.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the question marks over Naseem's place? Wasn't he just given rest just to not over exert him? There weren't any reports of an injury, were there?

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “I haven’t mentioned this to Pakistan team as yet. It will be a bit too much. But that was his cricketing opinion—he loves his cricket, once a cricketer always a cricketer.”
    Well now you have.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That is not how you decide a batting lineup.

It is about who is best suited to each position.

Players best suited for Pakistan to open are Imam ul-Haq, Shan Masood and Sami Aslam.

Haris Sohail is a middle-order batsman. Best off at #s 4-6.

Babar Azam and Asad Shafiq are Pakistanís two best bats, so they should be at 3-4. Babar is the better player of pace so he bats at 3. While Asad is better vs spin so he slots in at #4.

You do not cater the batting positions based off of one batsman.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    That is not how you decide a batting lineup.

It is about who is best suited to each position.

Players best suited for Pakistan to open are Imam ul-Haq, Shan Masood and Sami Aslam.

Haris Sohail is a middle-order batsman. Best off at #s 4-6.

Babar Azam and Asad Shafiq are Pakistan’s two best bats, so they should be at 3-4. Babar is the better player of pace so he bats at 3. While Asad is better vs spin so he slots in at #4.

You do not cater the batting positions based off of one batsman.
    The distinction of being better against pace for number 3 and better against spin for number 4 is not good enough for Pakistan. For one, we are often 3-4 down so early that real spin hasn’t really come into play at all. Also, the chances of number 4 seeing spin right away are better in Asian conditions but not necessarily so in SENA.

For SENA conditions it might be better to play three openers for 1, 2 and 3. Then Babar at 4 and Asad at 5. People are assuming Babar has the same level of new ball skill versus the red ball as he does against the white ball. His record doesn’t suggest so at all. And while I fully believe he’s getting better by the day, a promotion to 3 from 5 is putting your best batsman at an unreasonable risk.

Even if he ends up eventually dominating the new red ball and makes a solid number 3, it’s better to wean him into it.

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boiz Played Well View Post
    The distinction of being better against pace for number 3 and better against spin for number 4 is not good enough for Pakistan. For one, we are often 3-4 down so early that real spin hasnít really come into play at all. Also, the chances of number 4 seeing spin right away are better in Asian conditions but not necessarily so in SENA.

For SENA conditions it might be better to play three openers for 1, 2 and 3. Then Babar at 4 and Asad at 5. People are assuming Babar has the same level of new ball skill versus the red ball as he does against the white ball. His record doesnít suggest so at all. And while I fully believe heís getting better by the day, a promotion to 3 from 5 is putting your best batsman at an unreasonable risk.

Even if he ends up eventually dominating the new red ball and makes a solid number 3, itís better to wean him into it.
    I definitely understand what you saying, but the only problem is that you cannot play a different Top 4 depending on conditions.

I do advocate playing 3 openers, but only in ENG/NZ and maybe SA.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    I definitely understand what you saying, but the only problem is that you cannot play a different Top 4 depending on conditions.

I do advocate playing 3 openers, but only in ENG/NZ and maybe SA.
    That’s true. Will be interesting to see what happens once Azhar is out of the equation in terms of the top-order line-up.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boiz Played Well View Post
    Thatís true. Will be interesting to see what happens once Azhar is out of the equation in terms of the top-order line-up.
    Yea he is ruining the balance.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is Pakistan' "Kohli/Smith" should bat at 4.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Babar developing nicely, few more centuries and he will be a world class test batter. If only we could find 2 more Babars.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as the late Tony G would have said 'BABAR - Wottaplayah'.....Babar is sheer class, a star for the future...all the best for adelaide d.n test...