Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[PICS/VID] Indian taxi driver in Aus refuses to take fare, treated to dinner by Pakistan cricketers

Pakistan cricketers Shaheen Shah Afridi, Yasir Shah and Naseem Shah treated an Indian taxi driver to dinner after he refused to take money from the players for a ride he gave them in Brisbane.

ABC radio presenter Alison Mitchell narrated a story about the Indian taxi driver to former Australia pacer Mitchell Johnson and told him how excited the taxi driver was after he got the chance to have dinner with the 5 Pakistani cricketers.

Alison Mitchell got to know about the story from the same cabbie, who drove her to the Gabba stadium in Brisbane for the first Test between Australia and Pakistan. During the ride she got to know about how the taxi driver got invited to dinner by the Pakistani players.

The cabbie had picked up the 5 players from Pakistan's team hotel in Brisbane and took them to an Indian restaurant for dinner but then he refused to take the cab fare from them out of respect. The players returned the favour by inviting him for dinner with them

The video of Alison telling the story to Johnson went viral on social media and has been viewed by thousands of fans.

Australia defeated Pakistan by an innings and 5 runs in Brisbane on Sunday to take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series at the Gabba.

The Aussies bowled out Pakistan for 335 on day four after taking a 340-run first-innings lead.

Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan tried their best to keep Pakistan in the match with their 132-run partnership for the sixth wicket but the deficit proved just too big for the visitors. Babar scored 104 and Rizwan made 95 but were still unable to make Australia bat again in the Test match.

As a result of this win, the hosts maintained their unbeaten record at the Gabba since 1988.

Josh Hazlewood ended up getting 4 wickets while Mitchell Starc bagged 3 and Pat Cummins got two. Nathan Lyon got the prized wicket of Babar in the second session on day 4.

Earlier, Marnus Labuschagne (185) and David Warner (154) helped Australia accumulate a first-innings tally of 580 in reply to Pakistan's 240.

The second Test, a day-night affair, starts at the Adelaide Oval on Friday.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...357-2019-11-25

Last edited by MenInG; 26th November 2019 at 00:29.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely! Generally news like this is not kept under wraps and you know it from twitter, insta etc and not as low key as this. Thats where the cricketing world is missing Umar Akmal

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just so heartwarming. Very nice gesture from driver sahab and beautifully reciprocated by Shaheen and co.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    indians and Pakistanis always love each other. It's just the government that is corrupt. Nothing knew here. Pakistanis are as much punjabi as the indian punjabis.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humanity is always there.... a good gesture ... well done boys ... u were better than most men

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great gesture. On a tangent though, nice to see our players eating nice and healthy Indian restaurant food

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story ofcourse very nice brotherhood...
    but come one going out for very healthy food to curry house!!!
    Apne bande never learn lol
    Kaerhai and biryani lol

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if the Indian restaurant they went to,
    Refused to take money too

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Dude, I know many Indians in the Gulf who are friendly to Pakistanis on their face but bad mouth them in the company of other Indians. Being friendly does not mean they think good of them.
    Agree with this completely. I lived in the Gulf for a large portion of my childhood and I found myself friendly with Indians but we would always try to one up each other and there was alot of bad mouthing/ bad blood behind each others backs. Vice versa for Pakistani behaviour towards Indians...

Aanay do!

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani and Indians who live within their country will always have their mindset skewed by the propaganda nationalist media, outside of the countries Pakistanis and Indians have always got along and lived in harmony even though we may share banter here and there.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I have many Pakistani friends. We are all of punjabi origin. No difference except in the name. Pakistani and Indians get along very well.

There is only a bit of friendly banter when it comes to cricket. That's about it

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I was driving taxi for them!

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naseem Shah is a very good looking guy. If he performs he can be the next heartthrob of Pakistan

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

stuffing your face with biryani. Where is the nutritionist.

With Inzi in the management, it would have been hypocrisy had he tried to get a nutritionist. But surely Misbah....he used to be super fit!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this proves one thing - Pakistani players are still uninformed about proper diets while on tour

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why ? why biryani? wth. You are a professional world class team. You don't eat biryani before a big game. lol wth.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peace starts from within oneself. If we are peaceful with ourselves, creating a peaceful community, and nation becomes effortless. Without peace, there is no happiness. After all, the whole endeavor of life is to be happy. I hope everyone seeks peace internally, within our country, and with our neighbors. However it may sound idealistic, we need to understand it is essential for mere survival of human kind. Even though we are intelligent, we are one of the most feeble species on the planet. If we fight over territories, differences in beliefs, religion, etc., before we realize, we will be extinct.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Continuing with a good diet...cool cool

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pathan boys enjoying their time. Good to see

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very bful gesture by Shahin Afridi and co. Most importantly, they didn't do it for media as this story didn't come out from them. Wish all of them have good careers.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Continuing with a good diet...cool cool
    What makes you think they didn't have a healthy food at the restaurant!

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    What makes you think they didn't have a healthy food at the restaurant!
    He was clearly being sarcastic.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't see what's the big deal in it.

the driver refused to take the money, the clients returned with another good gesture.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good gesture. Lovely pic of Naseem and Musa with food on one side of the mouth, innocence of the youth at its finest.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    don't see what's the big deal in it.

the driver refused to take the money, the clients returned with another good gesture.
    Did anyone say it's a "big deal"?
    They're just appreciating the gesture.

Why's that making you salty?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This guy did a nice thing. To bring real peace between both countries, people from both side of the border need to interact. I truly hope one day there will be open border between both countries and people are able to travel between the countries. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness...”-MARK Twain.
    Yes,there are going to be whackadoos on either side, but vast majority are decent people who are busy taking care of their lives. This is what people are learning from youtubers who travel to Iran and Pakistan etc, they are breaking down the narratjve created by the media.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The restaurant is called Indian but it doesn't mean it is run by Indians.I know in UK a lot restaurants are run by Bangldeshis and Pakistanis but they are called Indian for business reasons.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. Very professional boys. Go out for creamy, buttery, Indian curries in Australia.

Nice!

edit: I might add delicious

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does Rizwan not get along with all the other pathans?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing about this story surprises me. When in England for the World Cup, Shaheen invited me and my friends with open arms to have dinner with him and the other players. When I thanked him afterwards, he laughed and said I shouldn't be thanking him because he did nothing for me to be thankful for. He even invited me back to join him and the lads for dinner after the following game in Taunton, but I said I couldn't as I was heading back to London the next day.

Whatever you think of their on field performances, a lot of these boys are good, kind human beings which is great to see.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a kind gesture by them all. My main question about this though is: Aren't they supposed to be on a strict diet and training regimen as professional sportsmen? Was the team management, particularly Misbah, ok with them going out to eat that stuff?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Iftikhar and Imran are from KPK.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good gesture

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacattakk View Post
    It was a kind gesture by them all. My main question about this though is: Aren't they supposed to be on a strict diet and training regimen as professional sportsmen? Was the team management, particularly Misbah, ok with them going out to eat that stuff?
    You can eat heath food everywhere if you know your limits. Meat, daal, vegetable and some carb are part of healthy food.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Iftikhar and Imran are from KPK.
    Rizwan too. He is from Peshawar.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Rizwan too. He is from Peshawar.
    Surprised to see kpk producing so many international quality players .
    Rizwan ,Nasim shah, shaheen shah afridi,sameen gul,akif javed,iftikhar,fakhar zaman .There performance in quaid azam have alos drastically improved

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Surprised to see kpk producing so many international quality players .
    Rizwan ,Nasim shah, shaheen shah afridi,sameen gul,akif javed,iftikhar,fakhar zaman .There performance in quaid azam have alos drastically improved
    The infrastructure has improved in the last 10-15 years, but the main credit goes to the Peshawar coach Abdul Rehman. He is a real gem and would actually be a better coach and selector for Pakistan than Misbah.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing no soft drinks on the table apart from sardar jee

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are the guys seated next to the Sardarji? One is comprehend is Musa, other is?

Having been born and bred in Sharjah/Dubai for a few years and then after having gone back for a holiday, I would enjoy meeting Pakistanis there. Unless we mingle with each other in person, we dont really know how similar we are. I would talk to Pakistani drivers and tour guides about cities in Pakistan ( my geography/history is pretty good) and they would just have a stunned smile on their face. Similarily I met a 6 year old Salman Khan who could mouth off Hanuman Chalisa he learnt from some Salman Khan movie..

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Nothing about this story surprises me. When in England for the World Cup, Shaheen invited me and my friends with open arms to have dinner with him and the other players. When I thanked him afterwards, he laughed and said I shouldn't be thanking him because he did nothing for me to be thankful for. He even invited me back to join him and the lads for dinner after the following game in Taunton, but I said I couldn't as I was heading back to London the next day.

Whatever you think of their on field performances, a lot of these boys are good, kind human beings which is great to see.
    Ma sha Allah. Hospitality of a pathan. I am sure the others are same too.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Rather, he is probably strict with his diet

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never bought into the restricted diet rubbish. Eat what you like, but dont over eat and get fat.
    The main thing is to train hard!
    Lots and lots of running. At least 3 - 5 miles a day.
    Also weight training is important, 1 hour of intensive weight training a day.
    Along with 2 hours of cricket skills pracice a day - batting, bowling, fielding and catching.
    A few laps in a swimming pool, 2/3 times a week would also help.
    Approx. 5/6 hours of training and practice a day,.with one rest day a week in the 6 weeks leading up to a test series.
    And eat what you like, but dont go overboard and eat the whole handi of briyani or 4 /5 naans(lol)!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain caveman View Post
    Funny how a taxi driver, doesnt accept money from rich sportstars, but would not even think about not charging your average joe on a limited income.
    Should have charged them extra, they can afford it!
    Strange world, or should i say strange asian customs!
    The irony is the richer a person gets the more freebies they get!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah describing the meeting with the Indian taxi driver [Video courtesy of the PCB]
    Last edited by MenInG; 27th November 2019 at 00:02.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the cabbie was a bookie in disguise? has he been vetted by the ACU? What is the ICC and ACU policy behind cricketers going out on their own volition, how can they ensure they aren't getting connected with bookies especially when these guys are riding in random vehicles?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    What is the cabbie was a bookie in disguise? has he been vetted by the ACU? What is the ICC and ACU policy behind cricketers going out on their own volition, how can they ensure they aren't getting connected with bookies especially when these guys are riding in random vehicles?
    We'll never know

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    The restaurant is called Indian but it doesn't mean it is run by Indians.I know in UK a lot restaurants are run by Bangldeshis and Pakistanis but they are called Indian for business reasons.
    and your point being? howz it relevant to the ongoing discussion in this thread?

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice gesture. While I understand that there are real world issues that both sides passionately disagree on, how much I wish that we could get along well and not fight all the time. Do you guys think that India and Pakistan can become normal (decent neighbours) in our lifetime (net 40-50 years)?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question one should ask is if indian players would have done the same as the Pakistan players.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    The question one should ask is if indian players would have done the same as the Pakistan players.
    Hopefully they wouldn’t have been heading out to have biryani in the first place.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brings back memories! I recall meeting 6-7 Pakistani players back in 99' Aus tour. Fun experience for sure.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Hopefully they wouldn’t have been heading out to have biryani in the first place.
    Contray to popular belief Pakistani/Indian food isn't just carb heavy or fried. They could have have BBQ meats with salad, boiled rice with a curry etc. Gotta love the self loathing of our own food