"There will be some changes. Mohammad Abbas will be one of them, I will bat at #3" : Azhar Ali

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"There will be some changes. Mohammad Abbas will be one of them, I will bat at #3" : Azhar Ali

Azhar Ali at a presser today:

"We'll announce the team tomorrow. Everyone is available for selection. There will be some changes. Mohammad Abbas will be one of them"

"Mohammad Abbas is a seasoned FC campaigner, he's done well in Tests and he can bring a lot of control. He's worked a lot during the last Test on his rhythm and he's feeling better. A bowler of his class, you always feel he has something to offer. I'm confident after the amount of work he's done over the last week and we're feeling confident"

"If we have to win in Australia, we have to change that (bowling struggles). On the last few tours, we've struggled to pick up wickets in Aus. We have to control the rate and bowl in good areas for a long time"

"A lot of people say that wickets in Australia have pace and bounce but they are equally good for batting. If you can't bowl well for long periods, you can't put other teams under pressure. Teams don't get rolled over here, specially Australia as they're used to these conditions. Their techniques are built for these conditions so they won't give you easy wickets. To pick up 20 wickets, we have to control the rate and execute the plans perfectly"

"I'll bat at #3 in this Test match"

"The good thing about Naseem Shah is that whenever he bowled, he bowled well. The last couple of weeks haven't been easy for him but we backed him because of his skills. His pace was up whenever he bowled, his lines and lengths were good and he troubled the batsmen. But we have to see what all he's been through, he's just 16, very young body. We have to be careful and we don't want to put too much (pressure) on him. Talent wise and skill wise, we know he belongs here but we'll think hard about how we want to manage him"

"Musa has potential also, he's short but he's rapid. He's another talented guy, he's very fit and hopefully whenever he gets a chance, he'll perform. He bowls a lot in the nets but it's a different thing in Test matches, hopefully if he plays, he's gonna transfer that into the game. Starting well is important and if he can start well, he can hopefully give us a lot of good overs"

"David Warner is a class player, you talk about weaknesses of all the batsmen, but they are great because they can counter it and manage to play well. We did discuss it (bowling around the wicket) but we weren't able to execute it properly"

"With the pink ball, it's more about the timings of the day. It's a bit different, I enjoyed the two pink ball Tests I played. You have to apply differently during different times of the day, there's 1 hour or 1 hour 20 minutes where the lights are impacting play, that's important for the batsmen to know where to attack, where to see through. I'll look to stick to my basics, it's a new Test and hopefully I can perform as I did in previous ones"

"We always love to play more Test matches, the Pakistan team doesn't play much Test matches which isn't good for any team. If we play more Tests, we have better chances to adjust in different conditions. Last time we played 3 Tests and in all, our batsmen were scoring hundreds so in Australia you can score big runs. More Test matches will be better"

"It's been 5-7 years since we've been struggling with proper fast-bowlers not coming through. I think a major reason for that was FC cricket and the balls being used, along with the type of wickets. Medium pacers were taking wickets and teams would be bowled out in 40 overs, openers were almost out of the game and losing 3 early wickets was almost guaranteed. Conditions were such that I think bowlers generating pace weren't encouraged. This season, fast-bowlers aren't taking so many wickets because in the last 5-7 years, they haven't had to bowl fast or put in effort. Now all this is changing and I think with flatter wickets, or conditions that don't just assist swing bowling, you will have to put effort and more bowlers will show up"

"The positive thing in the previous Test were our performances on Day 3-4. We fought back with the bowling from 300/1 with bowling and fielding, then with batting we made 300+ after losing 3 wickets. Spirits are still high and the 2nd Test is an opportunity for us. There's positive vibes in the dressing room and we'll try to start this Test in the way we finished the previous one"

"You have to play the new ball as a new ball but there are phases, like when your players are set and it's a new day you may want to score faster as batting is easy, or if you're bowling you try to contain until the bowling conditions become easier. You have to adapt"

"Last time we batted at the Gabba at night, when we played that night session well then we were in a good position the next day because you have 4 hours to move your batting forward before the last 2 hours. By then, you can also tire the bowlers and it can become easier"

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Seems like Imam, Abbas, & Musa will replace Haris, Imran, & Naseem.

I would've played Naseem. What's the point of selecting him if you're gonna protect him.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I understand this is a day night test match but its bit extreme to be sending in a night watchmen in early to bat number 3.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Innings only last a maximum of 65 overs with the Pink Ball here at Adelaide.

They could afford to ply Naseem knowing that hed only need to bowl 12 overs per innings.

I think they overbowled him at Brisbane and hes now got the precursor to stress fractures which is why he only bowled 4 overs on Day 3. I hope Im wrong suspecting that the management is hiding injuries.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    naseem only bowled 20 odd overs , does he really needs rest after that? Given that he may only be bowling once in the next test match , why not play him.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowl naseem 6 overs every session , 4 at the start two at the end. Before he falls victim to t20 leagues around the world , lets make him bowl in test cricket.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

They could afford to ply Naseem knowing that he’d only need to bowl 12 overs per innings.

I think they overbowled him at Brisbane and he’s now got the precursor to stress fractures which is why he only bowled 4 overs on Day 3. I hope I’m wrong suspecting that the management is hiding injuries.
    I feel the same lol

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    I feel the same lol
    Completely agree with you and Junaids. If you hear Yasir Shahs press conference during the 1st test the media manager stops Yasir from answering a question regarding a possible injury to Naseem.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

They could afford to ply Naseem knowing that he’d only need to bowl 12 overs per innings.

I think they overbowled him at Brisbane and he’s now got the precursor to stress fractures which is why he only bowled 4 overs on Day 3. I hope I’m wrong suspecting that the management is hiding injuries.
    Most pakistan batting efforts tend to last 2 sessions (60 overs). The main worry is the snail like batting and lack of urgency sometimes which means come the under lights session we could be going into a session with not many runs.

In regards to Naseem, i wouldnt be shocked if our coaches etc.. have pushed a bowler past his limit where they shouldnt have.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    such a joke
    Waqar comes aand says Abbas is not in rhythm currently and now he is back
    what a circus

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Looking at our batting we have two mediocre openers, a walking wicket for a captain. Asad has scored his "allocation of runs" for this tour.

Ifti hasnt shown much in either of 2 tests hes played.

So on a more lively surface/conditions than 1st test where runs will be at a premium we will be dependant on Babar and Rizwan again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    A lot of pressure on Abbas to perform - hope he can deliver.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO, Pakistan should rest Naseem if we have an injury concern.

More probably it'll be another innings phainta, so why break the rookie?

Azhar and Shafiq must be axed for this teams' future ASAP, they have become useless (even in UAE)

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Naseem needs rest fine. But we should go with 4 pacers and drop Yasir

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't feel Musa is a test match bowler.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping Naseem Shah will not make sense. This is an important match, he should play. You can protect him afterwards. I would give Haris another go, you just can't drop a batsman with a good FC record, it will be a blunder to replace him with mediocre batsman like Imam or Abid. And I will select Musa instead of Abbas.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last couple of weeks have been tough on Naseem from emotional point of view and its not easy to deliver by forgetting everything at such a young age. It makes sense if they are resting him.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could afford to ply Naseem knowing that hed only need to bowl 12 overs per innings.

I think they overbowled him at Brisbane and hes now got the precursor to stress fractures which is why he only bowled 4 overs on Day 3. I hope Im wrong suspecting that the management is hiding injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    I feel the same lol
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Completely agree with you and Junaids. If you hear Yasir Shahs press conference during the 1st test the media manager stops Yasir from answering a question regarding a possible injury to Naseem.
    If that was the case why was he even in the field and wasnt replaced by a sub fielder?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no point playing Iftikhar ahead of Haris, later was more effective in bowling and is 3 times the batsman Ifti is. I'm afraid all the bowlers will be ineffective,no matter whoyou select, bar Saheen Shah.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    such a joke
    what a circus
    Rythm doesn’t require months to come back. Just some good hard sessions in the nets with proper guidance can do the job.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw one the practice session video on social media and Musa produced a clear edge from Babars bat and Babar was angry with himself.

A lot goes into selection of the playing xi and rythm and consistency in nets also play a role.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    If that was the case why was he even in the field and wasnt replaced by a sub fielder?
    He bowled at the net session today.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    He bowled at the net session today.

Thanks. Its good to see and makes sense as well because no team fields a pacer throughout the day if he is injured.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    I understand this is a day night test match but its bit extreme to be sending in a night watchmen in early to bat number 3.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abid
    Imam
    Azhar
    Babar
    Asad
    Rizwan
    Iftikhar
    Bhatti
    Naseem
    Musa
    Abbas

We gonna lose anyway might as try out all the new guys

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Naseem injured?

What's the latest on him any updates?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    , good one, brilliant.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Naseem is still so injury-prone despite bowling short spells in the last match—Pakistan should evaluate the wisdom of playing such a young player who hasn’t played much FC.

He’s only just recovered from other injuries which kept him out of PSL 4 and stress from his earlier bowling action. If he’s to be an important asset for the future, might be worth it to make sure he’s fully fit and can stay fit. Can’t afford to waste so many bowlers to injuries.

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2098 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You would rather he will come in even earlier and open the innings?

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    IMO, Pakistan should rest Naseem if we have an injury concern.

More probably it'll be another innings phainta, so why break the rookie?

Azhar and Shafiq must be axed for this teams' future ASAP, they have become useless (even in UAE)
    How is Shafiq useless? He has literally had only one inning where he didn’t score. He had two centuries in the practice matches. A 70-odd in the first innings of the Test. Sure he’s not the best we’ve seen, but kick him out of this line-up? That would make no sense.

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 161 View Post
    Abid
    Imam
    Azhar
    Babar
    Asad
    Rizwan
    Iftikhar
    Bhatti
    Naseem
    Musa
    Abbas

We gonna lose anyway might as try out all the new guys
    You want to omit the batsman who showed lots of fight in both innings, it's not always about amount of runs, his bunting the bowlers was the platform for others to take advantage.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right this is getting absurd.. i am hundred percent sure he ISNT injured. The guy just lost his mother yet he played the first test and to be honest did very well. He has to play tomorrow how can you rest in a 2 match series. Azhar just under pressure and saying we have to manage work load blah blah...the place you manage that is UAE and even at home i want him to play as he is the X factor..because he is young and was injured last year they are just being extra careful i think.. I will be very upset if he doesnt play tomorrow

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    such a joke
    what a circus

It was just because Imran took a 5 wicket haul (which now seems like a fluke ). So they are back to Abbas after everyone criticize the non selection.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all due respect to Azhar Ali, nothing coming out of his mouth makes sense. Logic seems a foreign concept to him. The captain with no power should not be doing these,press conferences

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boiz Played Well View Post
    How is Shafiq useless? He has literally had only one inning where he didn’t score. He had two centuries in the practice matches. A 70-odd in the first innings of the Test. Sure he’s not the best we’ve seen, but kick him out of this line-up? That would make no sense.
    I guess people want someone he can score nothing..then they will be happy.
    Last time when asad score 100+ we lost but people said he is useless 100 but now Babar score 100 now no one said anything. Why this hypocrisy?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Personally would bring in Abbas in for Imran Khan but that's probably it for me. Maybe Imam but for Ifti rather than Haris. I think Haris would be better suited to come in No.5 with Imam maybe at No.6.

The reason I would have Imam at No.6 is that I don't think he would be good against the new bowl or good enough to open in tests yet. So I would move him to No.6 and replace Iftikhar.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abbas would be handy in D/N test. Barring Smith, Ozzie batsmen might find it tough to negotiate movement

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Abbas would be handy in D/N test. Barring Smith, Ozzie batsmen might find it tough to negotiate movement
    Labuschagne as well.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If naseem shah isnt playing musa khan should play I hope they dont go with abbas and imran

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Musa is not a Test match bowler. Has no control, can't bowl line and length consistently, no bounce. He'll be cannon fodder.

Also there's no business Yasir Shah playing a pink ball Test match in Australia. He'll go for over 200 this match also.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This shows the continuous incompetence of Misbah-ul-Haq. They're now going to being back Abbas and boot either Naseem or IK, likely to be Naseem. Just a long line of blunders he's making since his appointment. One of the biggest blunders is making Azhar captain as he now needs to play no matter what his performance.

Guy's a walking wicket and now has to shift around to accommodate his own place which is without any merit. Another wasted opportunity to do something abroad in order to accommodate Misbah-ul-Haq's friends and TTF's,

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    This is arguably the most brutal post I have ever read on PP

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Misbah and Waqar both also play themselves they cannot change the fate. The issues are far deeper than one or two changes.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali needs to man up and bat long. No point giving long interviews when you cannot hold your ground. At least do your own work properly.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baigel View Post
    Apparently Shan Masood is out of tomorrow's game following a blow to the head in training. Is this credible information? @MenInG
    If thats case either Abid opens or risk sohail at 6

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy View Post
    Azhar Ali needs to man up and bat long. No point giving long interviews when you cannot hold your ground. At least do your own work properly.
    His interviews are longer then actual time he spends in middle

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    A lot of pressure on Abbas to perform - hope he can deliver.
    Instead of playing down Abbass inclusion, the team management have made such a big deal of his selection. Put a lot of pressure off his

No PR savvy whatsoever

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except Sohail they can continue same team.
    Considered pink ball movement IK is preferable, even abbas also fine.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar Should come in at 4 and in my opinion if Ifti is playing he should bat at no 7 giving the no 6 spot to Rizwan.

Shan/ Abid
    Imam
    Azhar
    Babar
    Asad
    Rizwan
    Iftikhar

Or if Haris is playing

Imam/ Abid/ Shan
    Azhar
    Asad
    Babar
    Haris
    Rizwan
    Iftikhar
    Last edited by Titan24; 29th November 2019 at 00:26.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Naseem is dropped based on anything other than an injury concern, I won't be watching this test. He was your best pacer and the only one who troubled the Aussies.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It’s a shame they are not playing Abid Ali

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanisgreat View Post
    I guess people want someone he can score nothing..then they will be happy.
    Last time when asad score 100+ we lost but people said he is useless 100 but now Babar score 100 now no one said anything. Why this hypocrisy?
    Babar is a proven player in one format. Which has made the world talk about him. Which format is Asad proven in? If you wanna compare the two than analyze exactly why people are not upset about his 100. Babar has consistently been our best batsmens in ODIs. He needed this to be good in Tests.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pretty confident he's gonna flop as usual at 3.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would be stupid to drop Haris who is the second best batsman in the team. Babar should bat at 3. I would drop Iftikhar and play a fifth bowler.

My line up:

Azhar
    Shan
    Babar
    Asad
    Haris
    Rizwan
    Yasir
    Shaheen
    Musa
    Naseem
    Abbass

I know the tail starts at 7 buts its not like we are going to score 500 with an extra batsman anyway. Lets go for the kill.

PS: hoping for one of the tailenders to play a little cameo.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    Babar is a proven player in one format. Which has made the world talk about him. Which format is Asad proven in? If you wanna compare the two than analyze exactly why people are not upset about his 100. Babar has consistently been our best batsmens in ODI’s. He needed this to be good in Tests.
    Asad's 100 did not win you that game..same thing with babar's 100.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    naseem only bowled 20 odd overs , does he really needs rest after that? Given that he may only be bowling once in the next test match , why not play him.
    Happens when u have not played enough FC

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Harris Sohail gonna bat lower down the order?

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.