Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 54 of 54
  1. #1
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    36,449
    Mentioned
    1611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    "I wouldn't pick a Pakistan Test team without Asad Shafiq" : Mickey Arthur

    Mickey Arthur reviewing the Pakistan-Australia series on Straight Drive:

    "The only names I can think of in terms of bowlers who could have been here: Hasan Ali, who is out injured.

    Then the 3 I can think of who might have made a difference: Rahat Ali has some experience and toured Australia, not sure about his form. Then Faheem Ashraf, I've been an advocate of the balance he brings to the team and then a wildcard in possible Usman Shinwari.

    With Tabish Khan, Aizaz Cheema, Sohail Khan, they're on the wrong side in terms of age. I'm all for blooding young fast bowlers.

    With Shaheen in the best attack, maybe one of Naseem/Musa should have come on this tour and one other experienced pacer. But it's easy to say this in hindsight. In terms of guys knocking the door down, there isn't a hell of a lot at the moment"

    "This is not new to this group of players, I can't sit here and throw stones because I was a part of the last tour of Australia and we lost 3-0, so I've been part of that"

    "Shan Masood probably gets a pass mark, he's shown enough to keep going. He's an innings away from kickstarting his Test career.

    Babar, Rizwan pass. Asad Shafiq would probably get a pass mark. But you need these guys to go on"

    "Azhar Ali in terms of his form, he would worry, he started well but needed to kick on. Not sure about Iftikhar. Imam had one Test only. Abid Ali is in the squad and he's a good player.

    The core of the team is there but they need to take ownership, somebody needs to stamp their mark. A lot of guys have flattered to deceive a bit and will go home pretty pleased but no one has made that significant contribution that was going to change a Test match in the form of big runs in the first innings"

    "I have watched Shan closely and he's improving, I'd love to see him kick on and get a big score. He's got starts, he got some in SA on tough pitches and he got some here. He's going to have to convert one of these into a big score, I've got a feeling once he does it, he'll repeat it often"

    "Azhar's the nicest guy. He brings stability and good values to the dressing room, he's calm all the time and the one thing he'll do is he'll lead by example when he scores runs. It's been tough for him with the bowling attack not being able to control the game, and also him not getting a big score which will change soon"

    "Asad Shafiq gets a lot of stick in Pakistan, it's unfair on him. He went through a lull after the Younis/Misbah retirements where there was pressure on him to step up. He's got a great technique, he can play in all conditions. #5 is the right position for him, he's a nuggety player. I wouldn't pick a Pakistan Test team without Asad Shafiq, he's also a very good slip catcher"

    "Babar Azam will bat at #4 for Pakistan for the rest of his career, he'll have that for another 10 years. He has been averaging 50 over the last year or so. His first 6 matches were tough, then he got some noughts against WI.

    Bit like Jacques Kallis, his average was deflated. He was persisted with because he was that good and ended with an average above 50. Babar will do the same thing, he just started from a low base because he didn't start off too well in tough conditions. He'll go from strength to strength"


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  2. #2
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    10,515
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There are better batsmen in domestic currently performing. So, yes, they are knocking the door down. I don't blame him for not knowing because he's not the coach anymore.

    If you continue to settle for mediocrity that does just enough to retain its spot every series, the team will go nowhere.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Kuwait
    Runs
    1,095
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    There are better batsmen in domestic currently performing. So, yes, they are knocking the door down. I don't blame him for not knowing because he's not the coach anymore.

    If you continue to settle for mediocrity that does just enough to retain its spot every series, the team will go nowhere.
    He is talking about bowlers

  4. #4
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    12,409
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Exactly the reason why Pak is no. 8 in the rankings now.

    Averages 38 in FC and 38 in Tests, but Pak can't drop him because in some alternative universe he is averaging 50 and Pak are a top 3 Test team.

    Ifthikhar with a 40 FC average also scored hundreds on this Aus tour, just goes to show FC stats are useless.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    "I wouldn't pick a Pakistan Test team without Asad Shafiq" - Mickey Arthur

    Mickey Arthur speaking on TV earlier:

    "He's got a great technique, he can play in all conditions. #5 is the right position for him, he's a nuggety player. I wouldn't pick a Pakistan Test team without Asad Shafiq, he's also a very good slip catcher".

    First, "bring back Shoaib Malik and Sarfraz".

    ...and now this?

    Looks like Shafiq is everyone's favorite.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    24,543
    Mentioned
    1308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Lol Mickey lovers will have hard time now

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    2,234
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably why they fired him, the test team was going nowhere

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Lol Mickey lovers will have hard time now
    Challenge for @Markhor brother here is to continue praising Mickey Arthur but at the same time defend his Shafiq backing.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,846
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he said Asad is doing well. He needs to do more


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  10. #10
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    912
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad Shafiq is the player I hate the most in all or pakistan cricket. (Close second is Hasan Ali)

    This guy is a spineless choker who somehow played 70 tests. Please drop him NOW

  11. #11
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Asad Shafiq is the player I hate the most in all or pakistan cricket. (Close second is Hasan Ali)

    This guy is a spineless choker who somehow played 70 tests. Please drop him NOW
    Very unceremonious. He played some really good knocks in the past. I remember him taking us to the brink at Brisbane in 2017. Probably the only chance we had in Australia since 1995 apart from 2010 Sydney.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When no batsman other than Azhar averages 40 plus who is also in his last legs and no bowler averages less than 25 except Abbas who isnt all conditions bowler then you dont have luxury of playing players who average 38 after 72 matches.

    If Pak needs to improve as a test side they need to bring in batsmen who can have a test average of over 40 and bowlers who can atleast have an average of under 28.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,762
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Asad Shafiq is the player I hate the most in all or pakistan cricket. (Close second is Hasan Ali)

    This guy is a spineless choker who somehow played 70 tests. Please drop him NOW
    You cannot have the avatar you have and hate shafiq. Hasan Ali should be bowling in this test attack

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    10,688
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Him and yasir are really affected by not playing odis and t20is
    This didn’t affect younis Khan or Mohammed Asif but it’s not been a good year for shafiq as Babar has dominated the limited formats , helped by sohail and wasim
    Shafiq’s career has been dwarfed by the lack of test matches played by Pakistan
    This is only his 4th test match this year and his 13th in two years

    Excellent average in the uae


    Remember that ramiz raja, aamer malik and asif iqbal contributed just as much as shafiq did as they played a role around miandad
    Which is what asad has done around Mohammed yousif, younis khan and currently babar


    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post

    Remember that ramiz raja, aamer malik and asif iqbal contributed just as much as shafiq did as they played a role around miandad
    Which is what asad has done around Mohammed yousif, younis khan and currently babar
    You can afford Shafiq kind of players when you have Miandad, Yousuf or Younis kind of players to take the team forward. At the moment Babar is still developing and there is no one with the average of 45 plus. Its high the time to find those 40-45 plus batsmen than to play supporting batsmen who dont have any batsmen to support.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    4,281
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faheem, Rahat, Oh, FGS, I thought you were sincere with Pakistan cricket Mickey !!!

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,801
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mickeys blind faith in TTFs is reason we shamefully lost in UAE to both SL and NZ.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Faheem, Rahat, Oh, FGS, I thought you were sincere with Pakistan cricket Mickey !!!
    Lol. Is that why we started losing Tests even at home? Been telling this to his fans, but they think Mickey was a savior. Our darkest era where we started losing home Tests.
    @Shazzam @Snowflake @Khan12 @Shafi should also see the light now.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    3,881
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Lol. Is that why we started losing Tests even at home? Been telling this to his fans, but they think Mickey was a savior. Our darkest era where we started losing home Tests.
    @Shazzam @Snowflake @Khan12 @Shafi should also see the light now.
    Them mentioned players are still miles better then Imran, Musa etc i will happily take them over this rubbish which misbah selected.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    2,251
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asad Shafiq the timid mouse who loses his wicket at the first sign of pressure. Now put him in to bat in the 4th innings when you are chasing 500 and are 20/5 and his real talent comes out because he can play without any expectations.


    Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    537
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Lol. Is that why we started losing Tests even at home? Been telling this to his fans, but they think Mickey was a savior. Our darkest era where we started losing home Tests.
    @Shazzam @Snowflake @Khan12 @Shafi should also see the light now.
    What Mickey said here was rubbish. But lets not kid ourselves Misbah too agrees. Misbah was supposed to be a successor of Mickey. He clearly is showing he is a downgrade.

  22. #22
    Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    10,688
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    You can afford Shafiq kind of players when you have Miandad, Yousuf or Younis kind of players to take the team forward. At the moment Babar is still developing and there is no one with the average of 45 plus. Its high the time to find those 40-45 plus batsmen than to play supporting batsmen who dont have any batsmen to support.
    Our problem as Pakistani fans is we have extremely high standards based on the talents of byegone years
    Asad shafiq has always average in the mid 40s in the uae and will always average in his 30s away

    He’s not going to suddenly become the leader of the team after never being even a vice captain
    It’s a bit late in his career to suddenly expect him to become mike hussey

    And we have no one in domestic usman salhudeen, said shakeel, omair yousuf or otherwise


    The only two players we have that are on a par are umar Akmal and fawad alam
    Umar akmal would look better but average less and fawad alam would have a better average but look ugly


    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,659
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Mickey Arthur speaking on TV earlier:

    "He's got a great technique, he can play in all conditions. #5 is the right position for him, he's a nuggety player. I wouldn't pick a Pakistan Test team without Asad Shafiq, he's also a very good slip catcher".

    First, "bring back Shoaib Malik and Sarfraz".

    ...and now this?

    Looks like Shafiq is everyone's favorite.
    Mickey fans be like: Mickey ne bola hai toh sach hi hoga lol

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,659
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    You can afford Shafiq kind of players when you have Miandad, Yousuf or Younis kind of players to take the team forward. At the moment Babar is still developing and there is no one with the average of 45 plus. Its high the time to find those 40-45 plus batsmen than to play supporting batsmen who dont have any batsmen to support.
    Great post. So much investment and so little returns!!

    Umar Akmal who was averaging 37 after a away season and was more impressive than Babar didn't get a quarter of the backing and support as this guy.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Our problem as Pakistani fans is we have extremely high standards based on the talents of byegone years
    Asad shafiq has always average in the mid 40s in the uae and will always average in his 30s away

    Heís not going to suddenly become the leader of the team after never being even a vice captain
    Itís a bit late in his career to suddenly expect him to become mike hussey

    And we have no one in domestic usman salhudeen, said shakeel, omair yousuf or otherwise


    The only two players we have that are on a par are umar Akmal and fawad alam
    Umar akmal would look better but average less and fawad alam would have a better average but look ugly
    If we want to improve as a team we need to rise above mediocrity. Saud Shakeel, Imran Butt, Umer Akmal, Fawad Alam or Usman Salahuddin etc should be given a decent run and if they fail as well and its proved that Asad Shafiq is the best we can do at test level than we can go back to him and we wont be losing anything as it isnt like he is setting the world on fire.

    That is how other teams do it as well, take Aus for example, they have dropped Burns multiple times to try Bancroft, Harris and Renshaw so that they can find someone who has it in him to be a top test player however none of them really put their hand up and now they are back with Burns and might rotate him again if he doesnt click in couple of series. Even if the resources are limited one should be trying different players and giving them enough chances to rise upto the occasion which I think Pak as a team has been lacking in for far too long and has accepted mediocrity in wrapped in stats in one condition and technique looking good.

    Omair Yousuf is one of the guy for the future and I think he will turn out to be good for Pakistan in tests along with openers like Haider Ali and Zeeshan Malik so I want them to play bit more cricket at domestic level before giving them a long run at international level.

  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    10,688
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    If we want to improve as a team we need to rise above mediocrity. Saud Shakeel, Imran Butt, Umer Akmal, Fawad Alam or Usman Salahuddin etc should be given a decent run and if they fail as well and its proved that Asad Shafiq is the best we can do at test level than we can go back to him and we wont be losing anything as it isnt like he is setting the world on fire.

    That is how other teams do it as well, take Aus for example, they have dropped Burns multiple times to try Bancroft, Harris and Renshaw so that they can find someone who has it in him to be a top test player however none of them really put their hand up and now they are back with Burns and might rotate him again if he doesnt click in couple of series. Even if the resources are limited one should be trying different players and giving them enough chances to rise upto the occasion which I think Pak as a team has been lacking in for far too long and has accepted mediocrity in wrapped in stats in one condition and technique looking good.

    Omair Yousuf is one of the guy for the future and I think he will turn out to be good for Pakistan in tests along with openers like Haider Ali and Zeeshan Malik so I want them to play bit more cricket at domestic level before giving them a long run at international level.
    Saud shakeel didn’t see the world on fire in the emerging trophy and like zafar he’s found opportunities hard to come across since his u19 days
    Salahudeen would be an ayub dogar type selection and would bring us back to the days of Asim kamal, I wouldn’t mind him given a chance a few years ago

    Umar Akmal is his own worst enemy and fawad alam is another like usman saluhudeen who should have been given a chance years ago

    I do agree with you but we have two spots available already in the team without dropping our second best batsman


    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Great post. So much investment and so little returns!!

    Umar Akmal who was averaging 37 after a away season and was more impressive than Babar didn't get a quarter of the backing and support as this guy.
    Umer's issues aside but the way he has been treated in test cricket by management is something rarely seen in any other cricket playing country. He played his last test at 21 years of age and he was considered the so called next big thing however, just after 16 matches at avg of 35 he was discarded from tests.

    He has an avg of 44 in FC cricket with 16 100s and shows he was much more consistent in longer formats than list A and T20s however he was expected to be the finisher in ODIs an ability he never showed even at U 19 level and was assumed to be the six hitter at no 6.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,659
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Umer's issues aside but the way he has been treated in test cricket by management is something rarely seen in any other cricket playing country. He played his last test at 21 years of age and he was considered the so called next big thing however, just after 16 matches at avg of 35 he was discarded from tests.

    He has an avg of 44 in FC cricket with 16 100s and shows he was much more consistent in longer formats than list A and T20s however he was expected to be the finisher in ODIs an ability he never showed even at U 19 level and was assumed to be the six hitter at no 6.
    Completely agree, he was treated real harsh.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Saud shakeel didnít see the world on fire in the emerging trophy and like zafar heís found opportunities hard to come across since his u19 days
    Salahudeen would be an ayub dogar type selection and would bring us back to the days of Asim kamal, I wouldnít mind him given a chance a few years ago

    Umar Akmal is his own worst enemy and fawad alam is another like usman saluhudeen who should have been given a chance years ago

    I do agree with you but we have two spots available already in the team without dropping our second best batsman
    I agree that others arent setting the world on fire either however most of those names still average more in FC cricket than Asad Shafiq did when he was given the test cap for Pakistan.

    I also agree that Asad Shafiq isnt the only problem and I am all up for trying Sami Aslam and Abid Ali in the opening slot while Azhar is the captain and Babar and Haris on their good days have done much better than Asad in last couple of years.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    4,833
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mickey doesn't get spared for holding Shafiq as the golden boy of the side either.

    I've never seen a more timid cricketer than him, that is for sure!
    Last edited by topspin; 4th December 2019 at 02:37.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    10,688
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I agree that others arent setting the world on fire either however most of those names still average more in FC cricket than Asad Shafiq did when he was given the test cap for Pakistan.

    I also agree that Asad Shafiq isnt the only problem and I am all up for trying Sami Aslam and Abid Ali in the opening slot while Azhar is the captain and Babar and Haris on their good days have done much better than Asad in last couple of years.
    Shan masood should be preserved with, like asad shafiq
    Azhar Ali should partner him while captain

    Which leaves two slots , the number 3 and the number 6 slot
    Haris sohail plays too many shots to be persisted with
    Which means two out of akmal,fawad,usman,amin for those slots


    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

  32. #32
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    12,409
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Now we know why he said this because he is going to coach SL and he wants to win the series, so obviously he is going to advocate for this dud - smart move!

    Babar started his Test career yesterday, but he is considered the main batsman, whilst this guy has been playing for a decade and is nowhere near Babar - tells you everything you need to know about this guy.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    243
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care about Asad Shafiq. Gutless defensive player just like Shan Masood, Rizwan etc. If i am not wrong, in a ODI match both Abid Ali and Rizwan scored century, Pakistan still lost the match. Mentally timid players. Even Babar Azam lacks that aggressive streak in him. He hasn't scored any daddy hundred so far in his career. Virat was scoring 180s (Asia cup 2012 vs Pak) at his age. If i was PCB official i would have fired Waqar Younis for life. He takes up Pakistan coaching job just to get easy paycheck. 4 times coach but 0 performance. Whenever he becomes coach, he sidelines experienced players and drafts his chele- chapate, yes man types in the team. I don't think he genuinely cares about Pakistan cricket. Infact, most of Pakistan ex cricketers just give gyaan on youtube channels. No one actually wants to work on grassroot level. Azhar Mahmood worked so hard with likes of Wahab, Hasan etc as a bowling coach but he got fired.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    73,638
    Mentioned
    1644 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Mediocrity is ruling Pakistan cricket at the moment.

    Mediocre batsmen being relied on time and again, but keep on producing mediocre results.

    It's a vicious circle.



  35. #35
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    2,077
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Mediocrity is ruling Pakistan cricket at the moment.

    Mediocre batsmen being relied on time and again, but keep on producing mediocre results.

    It's a vicious circle.
    This is the most worrying thing.

    It doesn’t matter too much if the current players the country is producing are mediocre, but when the officials and the management begin to accept mediocrity then that’s a serious issue.

    These players need to pushed to accept nothing less then excellence. Even if they don’t achieve positive results then at least that will create a culture of excellence that the next generation will benefit from.

    The current culture of mediocrity is not helping the current lot and could ultimately destroy future generations of Pakistan cricket.
    Last edited by j_kazmi; 4th December 2019 at 23:58.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    12,557
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Mediocrity is ruling Pakistan cricket at the moment.

    Mediocre batsmen being relied on time and again, but keep on producing mediocre results.

    It's a vicious circle.
    Totally. When 33 year old batsman averaging 38 after 72 matches is being considered a must by even a former coach and 30 year old opener averaging 27 in 17 matches and with a FC average of 34 is being considered the savior at the top then thats a clear manifestation of why we are ranked no 8 at the moment.

    Batsman who are averaging 40 or less than that in FC cricket have been given a lots of opportunities in recent times while batsmen averaging close to mid 40s and 50s are event being considered. If the selections would have been working out than one could have accepted that however, loosing matches and failures from most of the batsmen time and time again atleast warrant for some rotation to find players who can do better otherwise there is no point of domestic cricket if same batsmen are gonna be selected to fail again and again.

    Whats more surprising is that even fans have lowered their standards seeing Pak team in recent times.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    7,094
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really belieive that a popular vote for a test 11 on Pak Passion would produce a better team than these coaches and selectors.

    That is pretty crazy.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,409
    Mentioned
    1127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Okay, well I would.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,409
    Mentioned
    1127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Challenge for @Markhor brother here is to continue praising Mickey Arthur but at the same time defend his Shafiq backing.
    There's a difference between support and blind support.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    There's a difference between support and blind support.
    Yep. Just teasing! You definitely are a balanced poster.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    1,412
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sub 40 test average after 70 matches. Insanity.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,762
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Of course he wants shafiq in the team if he is coaching Sri Lanka

  43. #43
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    2,664
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mickey's views are mostly logical, but this does not make sense.

    Asads runs are mostly cheap. Yes he scored a 70 odd in the first innings in Brisbane, but that doesn't change the fact that throughout his career he has failed to step up when required.

    The Adelaide fifty was cheap runs.

    A player that has played so many games should be realistically averaging mid 40's.
    Last edited by The Viper; 5th December 2019 at 05:43.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    4,796
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Despite Shafiq's really mediocre career, he is arguably the second best batsmen playing for Pakistan right now.
    There are much bigger problems with the batting order than Shafiq

    That said, Shafiq's career has still been a major disappointment, he has clearly not lived up to expectations, and the faith his coaches (first Mickey, now Misbah) have in him is mind-boggling

  45. #45
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    602
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O man, he is not good enough to retain but if still without him we don't want to play the game, put him on the spot where he scored regularly.

    The two oldish Azhar and Asad both are doing good for the others.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Mickey's views are mostly logical
    Can you point out any? :confused:

    Another bizarre is.. playing hardly any specialist spinners in the UAE. Starting losing Tests at home.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    2,174
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Can you point out any? :confused:

    Another bizarre is.. playing hardly any specialist spinners in the UAE. Starting losing Tests at home.
    Under Mickey we only played 4 series at home we lost 2 and won 2 so I dont have a clue what you keep harping about

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    17,172
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emranabbas View Post
    Under Mickey we only played 4 series at home we lost 2 and won 2 so I dont have a clue what you keep harping about


    So you're at least accepting the defeats. You're such an extreme fan of his. Blinded.

    Losing 50% of your Tests at home is a disgrace.

    Are you even aware of the fact that nobody was able to beat us in the UAE for.. like a decade? We lost 0 series under Misbah. We were unbeatable.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    4,833
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post


    So you're at least accepting the defeats. You're such an extreme fan of his. Blinded.

    Losing 50% of your Tests at home is a disgrace.

    Are you even aware of the fact that nobody was able to beat us in the UAE for.. like a decade? We lost 0 series under Misbah. We were unbeatable.
    Give Sarfraz/Mickey combo an ATG player of spin in Younis Khan and the chucking services of Ajmal + Hafeez, you will find their records would have been very much the same.

    Younis Khan in particular carried Misbah's team.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    428
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Give Sarfraz/Mickey combo an ATG player of spin in Younis Khan and the chucking services of Ajmal + Hafeez, you will find their records would have been very much the same.

    Younis Khan in particular carried Misbah's team.
    Such a stupid argument that the only reason you win was because of your star players! Of course your star player make you more likely to win... Thats why they are there!

    You could flip that argument around that if Misbah had the services of the two W's and Shoaib, then he would have been more successful in SEN conditions (left out the A as we've never consistently bowled well in those conditions). All conjecture!

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    4,833
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Khan View Post
    Such a stupid argument that the only reason you win was because of your star players! Of course your star player make you more likely to win... Thats why they are there!

    You could flip that argument around that if Misbah had the services of the two W's and Shoaib, then he would have been more successful in SEN conditions (left out the A as we've never consistently bowled well in those conditions). All conjecture!
    Lol cites "stupid argument", but agrees on the premise of my post.

    Well done for contradicting yourself

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    428
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Lol cites "stupid argument", but agrees on the premise of my post.

    Well done for contradicting yourself
    Sorry you couldn't get the point, but to infer that Younis would have improved every team because of who he is is not true as previous Pak teams have had him and didn't have the same effect. Just Conjecture.

    You work with whomever you have and if they are doing well you build around them. You can't belittle a captain for calling him lucky or what ever unappreciative reasoning you give for their success. He still has to utilise them correctly, which he did. Also, the support act have to pull their weight too.

    With a team with Yasir Shah, Abbas, Amir, Babar - they should have done better.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    4,833
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Khan View Post
    Sorry you couldn't get the point, but to infer that Younis would have improved every team because of who he is is not true as previous Pak teams have had him and didn't have the same effect. Just Conjecture.

    You work with whomever you have and if they are doing well you build around them. You can't belittle a captain for calling him lucky or what ever unappreciative reasoning you give for their success. He still has to utilise them correctly, which he did. Also, the support act have to pull their weight too.

    With a team with Yasir Shah, Abbas, Amir, Babar - they should have done better.
    It seems you have an inability to follow the conversation trail and understand the context of the claim.

    Am I right to say you're a Misbah fan boy? Reason I ask is because this cult usually have to defy logic and spread misinformation to defend their master and since you're not making any sense, I suspect you're one of those.
    Last edited by topspin; 6th December 2019 at 18:08.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,409
    Mentioned
    1127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Can you point out any? :confused:

    Another bizarre is.. playing hardly any specialist spinners in the UAE. Starting losing Tests at home.
    Yasir Shah and Bilal Asif were specialist spinners weren't they ? We can argue that they weren't the best choice and that Gohar or Asghar should've been picked, but you should direct your anger towards Tauseef the dinosaur Ahmed for that.

    There was a muckup vs SRL where they naively thought the pink ball would swing under lights for the day night Test in Dubai, but we lost UAE Tests due to Sarfraz's nonexistent leadership with the bat and his tactics.

    Also there was always going to be a tricky transition for ANY coach post-MisYou, especially given the tough overseas cycle we faced.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •