"Unfortunately the pressure got to Imran Khan, he's a very fine bowler" : Waqar Younis

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Unfortunately the pressure got to Imran Khan, he's a very fine bowler" : Waqar Younis

Waqar Younis on the PCB podcast:

"We couldn't get the results or perform according to the expectations"

"In bowling, we had some teenagers. At this age, they don't have good understanding sometimes and their line and length and control isn't that good at times so maybe people felt that they aren't that good.

But we need to see that they have pace, they have good actions, it's a matter of time"

"Shaheen was coming back from some fitness problems.

Imran Khan was bowling so well previously, unfortunately the pressure got to him, he's a very fine bowler.

The bowlers are all good, I have full faith in them and that they will perform well in the near future"

"I said before coming here, and I won't change my statement: I have been involved in cricket for 35 years and according to my understanding, these boys will serve us well in future.

They need some time, maybe 6 months or a year. To groom any player who is 18/19 or 17 - you can't judge them on 1-2 Tests. That's injustice with the player, with the coaches and overall. They should be given some time"

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "unknowingly incompetent " defines Waqar Younis

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Doha, Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan Sr is not a very fine bowler at all !!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can only laugh at the person who has appointed this proven failure

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep recycling coahes like Waqar and we will go nowhere. I am sick and tired of hearing this "need experience" " learning curve" "rough patch" excuses

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Big thanks to Wasim Khan to appoint this useless person in coaching position.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    "Imran Khan was bowling so well previously, unfortunately the pressure got to him, he's a very fine bowler."

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    774 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol. Rubbish from Waqar.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran khan was averaging 49 in the current first class season taking grand 4 wickets in 3 games so where was he bowling well in waqars dream?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Waqar must have mistaken Imran Khan for the current Prime Minister because the Imran Khan he took to Australia doesn't meet that description.

Instead of the usual platitudes of "giving youngsters time" - can Waqar explain why he thought taking short, skiddy Musa Khan to Australia, with an avg of 68 in the ongoing QEA Trophy, was a good idea ?

Can he explain who's to be held accountable for Pakistan producing its worst bowling performance in its Test history in terms of bowling average ?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Waqar must have mistaken Imran Khan for the current Prime Minister because the Imran Khan he took to Australia doesn't meet that description.

Instead of the usual platitudes of "giving youngsters time" - can Waqar explain why he thought taking short, skiddy Musa Khan to Australia, with an avg of 68 in the ongoing QEA Trophy, was a good idea ?

Can he explain who's to be held accountable for Pakistan producing its worst bowling performance in its Test history in terms of bowling average ?
    I couldn't believe how so many posters were vouching for him to be appointed as the Bowling Coach.

Waqar and Misbah are both accountable for the bowling selections, but in regard to the bowling performance the accountability should lie with the former.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    How does this guy keep becoming our coach?

He failed twice before.

Will fail again.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I still think Imran Khan would have performed really well in the pink ball test. A case of playing the player in the wrong test match!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you cant handle pressure on your second tour of Aus and your 10th test match at 32 years of age while 18-19 year olds in the same match were managing their self much better than him then its high time Waqar realizes it probably isnt meant to be irrespective of how he rates him. Pak cant afford to develop 32 year old pacer for test cricket at this point of time, 32+ pacers shouldnt be in the team if they cant start delivering straight away.

There are countless players in domestic circuits all around the world who might look good in nets and have decent FC stats but they are unable to step up to the next level. Temperament and pressure handling are one of the keys at international level.
    Last edited by Titan24; 3rd December 2019 at 17:34.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPers are going so impatient. It's Waqar's first tour (Test Match) He's not a magician who can make teenagers a complete bowler within few months. He needs time, a couple of years to give Pakistan 5-6 young fast bowlers who can be our future in coming years.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar might have a point - according to Google, he has a test bowling average of 22 and a newspaper article quotes even legends Viv Richards and Sunil Gavaskar saying he was one of the best fast bowlers - so must be pressure which got to him to perform so poorly on this tour.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imran khan was bowling well in 1987

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Waqar Younis on the PCB podcast:

"We couldn't get the results or perform according to the expectations"

"In bowling, we had some teenagers. At this age, they don't have good understanding sometimes and their line and length and control isn't that good at times so maybe people felt that they aren't that good.

But we need to see that they have pace, they have good actions, it's a matter of time"

"Shaheen was coming back from some fitness problems.

Imran Khan was bowling so well previously, unfortunately the pressure got to him, he's a very fine bowler.

The bowlers are all good, I have full faith in them and that they will perform well in the near future"

"I said before coming here, and I won't change my statement: I have been involved in cricket for 35 years and according to my understanding, these boys will serve us well in future.

They need some time, maybe 6 months or a year. To groom any player who is 18/19 or 17 - you can't judge them on 1-2 Tests. That's injustice with the player, with the coaches and overall. They should be given some time"
    face it he got picked in the playing xi just for that one tour match game which we shouldn't have read into too much.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB should have given chance to Shoib Akhtar , he deserves one chance to prove him self as a coach . this guy got failed 2-3 times , whenever he ( Waqar ) becomes coach starts singing about youngsters seems he doesn’t know how to manage experience or senior players / bowlers .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are in trouble if he thinks Imran Khan is a fine bowler.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would trust Waqar over posters here who don't have as much knowledge in fast bowling or cricket in general.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Some bowlers look great in the nets but are pretty useless in the middle.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    I would trust Waqar over posters here who don't have as much knowledge in fast bowling or cricket in general.
    Really? So you believe a senior bowler whose late in his 30s succumbed to pressure? What is he a child.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    If you cant handle pressure on your second tour of Aus and your 10th test match at 32 years of age while 18-19 year olds in the same match were managing their self much better than him then its high time Waqar realizes it probably isnt meant to be irrespective of how he rates him. Pak cant afford to develop 32 year old pacer for test cricket at this point of time, 32+ pacers shouldnt be in the team if they cant start delivering straight away.

There are countless players in domestic circuits all around the world who might look good in nets and have decent FC stats but they are unable to step up to the next level. Temperament and pressure handling are one of the keys at international level.
    I hope you understand why I referred to his bowling as "vomit on a cricket pitch" because that's exactly what it was during this series.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    I hope you understand why I referred to his bowling as "vomit on a cricket pitch" because that's exactly what it was during this series.
    No doubt that in the first test it was club level stuff or even worse from Imran Khan snr. You expect a veteran of 98 FC matches to atleast consistently bowl in one area.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Easy excuse to fall back on Pick the kids then when they fail say they need time

Misbah you pick the best bowlers available to win you games The fans dont want to hear excuses on age injury luck etc

If they arent good enough or too young dont pick them Its not back street cricket The pakistan cap should be earnt on merit not distributed like sweets on eid

Its farcical some of the excuses these guys are coming out with for such a pathetic showing

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    Really? So you believe a senior bowler whose late in his 30s succumbed to pressure? What is he a child.
    Even though he is of 30 years, it's still his first tour to Australia. He is a domestic performer. Give him time he will come good. Even far better bowlers had nightmarish tours to Australia.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    PPers are going so impatient. It's Waqar's first tour (Test Match) He's not a magician who can make teenagers a complete bowler within few months. He needs time, a couple of years to give Pakistan 5-6 young fast bowlers who can be our future in coming years.
    These are truly pathetic excuses by Waqar.

If the teens were too raw then why didn’t they take the much more experienced Ehsan Adil and Sameen Gul?

And Imran is a proven failure outside the UAE whereas Rahat Ali has a 6-for in South Africa.

It’s not like anyone forced Pakistan to select 3 teenagers in a 5 quick attack. Misbah and Waqar CHOSE to do it.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The sentence itself makes absolutely no sense. What sort of a fine bowler crumbles under pressure?

Waqar himself has proven that being able to bowl fast once upon a time does not make you coach material.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    The sentence itself makes absolutely no sense. What sort of a fine bowler crumbles under pressure?

Waqar himself has proven that being able to bowl fast once upon a time does not make you coach material.
    As I wrote in the match thread, I was in the hotel lift with Waqar last Sunday and he couldn’t even remember his own career.

I’m not sure that he has the powers of analysis to judge other bowlers. Anyone who chooses to go on a tour of Australia with 3 teenagers in a 5 paceman squad shouldn’t really be left in charge of a box of crayons, let alone an international bowling attack.
    Last edited by Junaids; 4th December 2019 at 17:42.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    As I wrote in the match thread, I was in the hotel lift with Waqar last Sunday and he couldn’t even remember his own career.

I’m not sure that he has the powers of analysis to judge other bowlers. Anyone who chooses to go on a tour of Australia with 3 teenagers in a 5 paceman squad shouldn’t really be left in charge of a box of crayons, let alone an international bowling attack.
    You see this in football as well, in the English premier league it used to be jobs for the boys a couple of generations ago, a former pro could walk straight into a managerial role. Nowadays with football being such big business you can't become a manager without getting the required coaching badges.

Waqar was never the sharpest tool in the box, but unfortunately those at the PCB have probably even less qualification to judge it.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman