User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Pakistan 2003 World Cup Squad - Biggest underachievers?

Was just watching highlights from Pakistan vs England in 2003. What amazes me was the team we had at that time

Saeed Anwar
    Shahid Afridi
    Inzimam ul Haq
    Mohammed Yousuf
    Younis Khan
    Abdul Razzaq
    Rashid Latif
    Wasim Akram
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Waqar Younis
    Shoaib Akhtar

What was the reason behind the failure at this point? All 11 players were top players, bar probably Rashid Latif. The rest, were very good.

I understand the likes of Waqar, Saeed and Wasim were at the end of their career, but they were still dangerous.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    over the hill players.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    over the hill players.
    Still miles ahead of the 2007, 2011, 2015 and 2019 Pakistan WC sides.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barring Rashid Latif? Lol
    You should have said Shahid Afridi. Latif was a very good cricketer

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Was just watching highlights from Pakistan vs England in 2003. What amazes me was the team we had at that time

Saeed Anwar
    Shahid Afridi
    Inzimam ul Haq
    Mohammed Yousuf
    Younis Khan
    Abdul Razzaq
    Rashid Latif
    Wasim Akram
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Waqar Younis
    Shoaib Akhtar

What was the reason behind the failure at this point? All 11 players were top players, bar probably Rashid Latif. The rest, were very good.

I understand the likes of Waqar, Saeed and Wasim were at the end of their career, but they were still dangerous.
    Like most will say most of the players were past it or underachieved big time The squad was poor with hardly any fresh faces since 1999 WC

The likes of anwar waqar and wasim were finished
    Younis was never a good odi player, inzy was woefully out of form Razzaqs and Saqis career was on the way down and Akhter underachieved big time

On paper the squad looked good but deep down it was highly flawed and poorly selected

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most these players were more concerned with girls, alcohol and money at that stage of their careers unfortunately cricket became second nature.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Squabling. Team Environment was very poor. Wasim and Waqar not getting along and were using Inzamam to communicate with each other. Team Split in Wasim Camp and Waqar Camp. Can't win a WC like this

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasim and Waqar age and decline told in their second spell onwards. Waqar would never have been selected if he wasn't captain. Saqlain had been a waste of a spot for a while.

Anwar was over the hill. The team looked only good on paper.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Wasim and Waqar age and decline told in their second spell onwards. Waqar would never have been selected if he wasn't captain. Saqlain had been a waste of a spot for a while.

Anwar was over the hill. The team looked only good on paper.
    I guess its the kind of team which would look good 15 or so years later.

1999 probably the best.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only reason Pakistan didn't win was garbage captaincy from Waqar.

Waqar should never have captained Pakistan. Him as captain was the worst thing to happen to Pakistan. The players were still good.

Waqar as coach now is very similar too. After 5 terms he still can't do much. Waqar as a leader is purely a failure.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingT View Post
    Barring Rashid Latif? Lol
    You should have said Shahid Afridi. Latif was a very good cricketer
    Afridi is bashed to the core on PP. But I will take him in the blink of an eye instead of fake all rounders we have at the moment in the form of Shadab and Faheem.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They had been poor for nearly a year. Afrer the high of beating Australia in Australia they were thrashed in 4 out of 5 series after that. Waqar could not sustain pace , Wasim looked superb in one match only to fall apart in the next one. Akhtar was moody and looked interested only in breaking the 100 mph barrier and Saqlain was in decline. The batting, apart from maybe Yousuf, was terrible at that point as well. An ageing team which had no motivation going into the World Cup. Inevitable thrashing really.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post

Saeed Anwar
    Shahid Afridi
    Inzimam ul Haq
    Mohammed Yousuf
    Younis Khan
    Abdul Razzaq
    Rashid Latif
    Wasim Akram
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Waqar Younis
    Shoaib Akhtar

This lineup is so close to Pakistan all time XI. Imran gets in place of Razzaq and probably Miandad in place of Younis/Yousuf as well.

Anwar
    Afridi
    Miandad
    Inzamam
    Yousuf( Younis in tests)
    Imran
    Latif
    Akram
    Saqlain
    Waqar
    Akhtar

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched that WC live and even considering some of the players were old, the team still underperformed. Afridi, Razzaq, Inzi and Shoaib were at peak age and had no noticeable performances. The old Wasim still managed a 5-fer (albeit against a minnow), Anwar had the 100 against India, Waqar still managed to take some crucial wickets here and there. Almost had a hat trick against India.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think 1999 team was a biggest let down. Pakistan had all these star players and were playing in England where Pakistan have always done good.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion this was the biggest disappointment in World Cups for Pakistan in their history. All of the big guns were there. The only over-the-hill players were Anwar and possibly Waqar, yet Anwar finished as our highest scorer. Our batting was strong, Wasim was still getting late swing, Shoaib was at his peak, Saqis doosra was still revolutionary, Razzaq was the most explosive all rounder in the game.

If this world cup was played again with Inzi being fat and Wasim being captain we'd see a strong Pakistan performance way more often than not. The infighting killed this team and Inzi/Afridi getting no runs in every game sent the rest of the batsmen into their shell.

They could, and should, have achieved so much more.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys were better in CWC 99.

Too many players of that 2003 team were over the hill.

Zak comfortably outbowled both Wasim and Waqar in the game that mattered although his stats do not show the huge difference.

Anwar's 100 wasn't his best of innings and he even got bowled on a no-ball. Shoaib was used poorly by Waqar.

Razzaq and Saqlain's novelty had worn off.

MoYo and YK were never very good ODI players.

Afridi was - well like Afridi himself.

Also, with the retirement of last group of experienced ball maintainers - Amir Sohail, Saleem Malik and Ijaz - reverse swing has ceased to be a big factor in the 50 over game.

The last one is just my theory. I hope as this forum bears with a number of such theories everyday, will tolerate mine as well.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the worst performance by Inzamam in that world cup.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Don't just look at names on paper - it was a zombie team that'd been absolutely atrocious for the previous six months. We were horrible in the Morocco tri-series, worse in the Kenya tri-series, knocked out of the group phase of the 2002 Champions Trophy, we had the 59 and 53 all out Test in Sharjah, and got battered in South Africa.

The reason was, as usually the case in Pakistan cricket, a refusal to move senior players on after their expiry date. Wasim and Waqar were on their last legs and should've packed it in after the 2001 England tour with the latter bowling military medium Anwar's head was never the same after losing his daughter in late 2001. Inzamam was experiencing a horrible 12 months after his 329 in Lahore. Unlike the 2019 World Cup where one at least could identify a promising crop of youngsters, here we selected mediocre backups like Salim Elahi, Taufiq Umar, Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan (ODIs).

Of course there was the role of Waqar Younis. Anyone who sat through his captaincy tenure as I did couldn't possibly support him in any other leadership capacity. Tactically he was defensive and reactive, and failed to press home an advantage. The biggest example was the opening match of the tournament vs Australia. We reduced Australia to 146-5 and really ought to have knocked them over for less than 230. They wound up scoring 310 and Waqar lost his composure bowling beamers at Andrew Symonds, getting removed from the attack. He was an even worse man manager.

The World Cup was the most depressing experience. After the hammering vs Australia we even laboured to victory against minnows Holland and Namibia having unconvincingly scraped to 250. A young James Anderson skittled us under lights in a chase of 240 vs a poor England team, but the hammer blow was the defeat to India. Much was hyped about the Sachin vs Akhtar showdown, but Akhtar bottled it and Sachin tore him apart. It all ended in a damp squib vs Zimbabwe where after dawdling to 73-3, rain put us out of our misery.

Afterwards the usual committee was formed. Aamer Sohail rightly slung out the toxic seniors. However there was a larger structural problem that Pakistan cricket has yet to address. We were still clinging onto the 1990s ethos of relying on individual matchwinners and failed to see teams like Australia, with a strong collective, had a more sustainable method of success. India were beginning to take fielding and fitness more seriously whereas we were stuck in the amateur era. Sports was now entering the age of opposition analysis and data-driven game planning but we refused to evolve from our mantra of "Pakistan mai talent bohat hai".

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inzamam proved that weight gain was not the reason why he was devoid of runs lol. He worked out hard to lose weight for that world cup.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, mostly over the hill players. I feared only Akhtar, Inzi and Saqlain before the game. I have always feared (and loved) Afridi despite him not doing so well against us in the WC. However, Wasim and Waqar didnt seem that quick before the India game, so I wasn't much concerned about them. Saeed Anwar scored a century, however, I had stopped fearing him as well, and Razzaq was some one I never really bothered about.

1999 and even the 1996 team, I feared. The 1999 team should not have lost 4 matches in that WC. Even before the finals there was an air of fallibility. You had lost the 3 of the last 5 matches. Chasing was something you wouldn't have managed (IIRC, you didnt win any matches chasing during that WC). So, you didnt really feel invincible.

But, I now feel that 1996 WC was yours, had it not been for meeting us in the QF. You had the edge over SL throughout the 90s, IIRC even in the WC, so you would have likely won the SF. You would have been playing Australia at home, so I think you would have taken that. Wouldn't have been easy in the finals, but I reckon you world have won at home.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar at '32' was bowling slow cutters. It was an average team

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Saqlain was so bad from 2000 onwards, even Makhaya Ntini was picking his Doosra comfortably. He started over bowling his Doosra like mad i.e. 5 deliveries out of 6 in the over, his off spinner became very ineffective, i think he had a knee problem which he chose to ignore and take pain killers rather than get pain killers for.

It was also his stupidity that he openly revealed his secrets to the English County players, end result England came to Pakistan and beat Pakistan in Pakistan where they picked his Doosra very easily.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember a big hue and cry when the squad was announced but people like akram, younis and anwar wanted to give themselves a 'send off '...so were picked.
    I remember Imran Khan mentioing that the likes of young and up and coming Mohammad Sami shound have been picked instead.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    I remember a big hue and cry when the squad was announced but people like akram, younis and anwar wanted to give themselves a 'send off '...so were picked.
    I remember Imran Khan mentioing that the likes of young and up and coming Mohammad Sami shound have been picked instead.
    He should've been picked.

I know it sounds absurd today but Shoaib and Sami were widely seen as the natural successors to the 2 Ws. Nowadays kiddos like Nasim, Shaheen and Hasnain are being hyped to the moon, and don't get me wrong they may have successful careers, but young Sami had everything from 150kph searing pace, conventional and reverse swing, yorkers and bouncers. Everything but sadly, no brain.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Waqar was a bogus captain.

Saeed Anwar daughter was dead , he was not interested any more.

Wasim Akram was finished , diabetes had engulfed him.

Afridi was poor with the bat.

Younis was always a garbage OD player.

Shoaib Akhtar was not mentally strong .

Team balance was poor , batting lack depth.

Inzamam as usual had a very poor WC.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar - Towards the end, with his daughter passing he wasn't quite the same after. More religiously inclined.
    Shahid Afridi - nothing to say here.
    Inzimam ul Haq - should've been a great WC for him. Age-wise he was ok and should've been at peak level.
    Mohammed Yousuf - still coming into his own but probably should've been the batting spark.
    Younis Khan - too early in his career. It took Bob Woolmer for him to understand his game.
    Abdul Razzaq - underachiever
    Rashid Latif - over the hill
    Wasim Akram - over the hill
    Saqlain Mushtaq - becoming over the hill
    Waqar Younis - over the hill. unimaginative captaincy
    Shoaib Akhtar - too many injuries

It wasn't as great a squad as it seems on paper.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1999 Pak team was a Champion team. Unfortunately they simply could not beat Australia.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Many over the hill players- W's were not as good.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of Imran Tahir or Saeed Ajmal should have been part of this squad along with Aamer Sajjad and Saeed bin Nasir

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed93 View Post
    Afridi is bashed to the core on PP. But I will take him in the blink of an eye instead of fake all rounders we have at the moment in the form of Shadab and Faheem.
    Shadab one guy who canít hold a glass of water let alone a bat.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Purely waqars captaincy. 99 was a peak team with Wasim getting the players he want just like IK and proving to be the natural heir of IK.

waqar is a failure as a leader but players like him, Misbah canít accept or swallow that they are not naturally leaders instead would try to give themselves a go at it.

Likewise hafeez canít accept that he is not an opener but gives himself a go at opening test innings.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed93 View Post
    My comment was in relation to the team. Afridi relatively was an inferior player than the ones in that lineup

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    waqar , wasim , saqlain mushtaq were done by then.

Inzamam only had 4 50s in like 5 worldcups , shows how a big a failure he was. Ofcourse he was the hero of 1992 world cup. Yousuf was a failure in world cups as well. Saeed anwar was good.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzamam,Yousuf, Akhtar and Razzaq were at their peak. They should have taken responsibility. Rest were over the hill but that doesn't mean they shouldn't perform.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Still miles ahead of the 2007, 2011, 2015 and 2019 Pakistan WC sides.
    The 2011 WC side would smash the 2003 side into little tiny pieces

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Had Wasim Akram been captain of this team, results could have been much better. The players from that time still comment that Wasim was the best captain they played under while Waqar was the worst

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Had Wasim Akram been captain of this team, results could have been much better. The players from that time still comment that Wasim was the best captain they played under while Waqar was the worst
    And somehow, he is on his third stint as coach, despite failing twice before.