"When I feel I am not good enough, then there will be no point of playing anymore" : Azhar Ali


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 68 of 68
  1. #1
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    44,845
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    "When I feel I am not good enough, then there will be no point of playing anymore" : Azhar Ali

    Azhar Ali at a press conference:

    "We want to make this series a memorable one by winning this Test, we will try our best to get a good result"

    "It's a home series for us and that is the biggest opportunity for any team in the WTC, to utilise it and win it and make home advantage count. Confidence will build up and we will go up the points table as well"

    "Having experienced bowlers helps and captaincy becomes easier. But we have new bowlers and they have lots of potential"

    "There was improvement in the Pindi Test and as we keep improving, it will become easier for me and also for the bowlers as they get wickets and bowl good spells, they will start understanding how to succeed in Test cricket. We're not there yet but step by step we're improving. Shaheen and Naseem's spells in Pindi were a big positive"

    "I know that I haven't been scoring like I should have. While batting, I am feeling very good and in nets I am middling the ball. I had a chance in the last innings, I was set and it was looking easy but the ball stuck in the pitch and I closed the face of my bat and got a soft dismissal. I will try to get set and make a big score, everything comes back to normal after a good score"

    "In Bangladesh, at the time I had only 4-5 years experience, now I am more experienced and have played more cricket. When you go to country like Australia without experienced bowlers, it can be difficult. I think I am up for the challenge and my aim is to give my best as a captain and player. I am confident that once the team gets settled, things will be fine"

    "When you play international cricket and don't perform, criticism is justified and you should take it positively. I have always tried to give my 100% for Pakistan and tried to give the team a good start and build on that. That hasn't happened for a while and I will try to rectify that as soon as possible. Regarding my prime, when I feel I am not good enough, then there will be no point of playing anymore. I am still working hard and I feel like I can work harder and I'll continue trying and once I get a big score, I think things will come back to normal"

    "We have played FC cricket for a while which wasn't very competitive, with grassy wickets and grays balls. When batsmen used to say something, people would say the batsmen are making excuses. We used to say that because quality bowlers weren't being produced, any medium pacer can get 6-7 wickets in 15 overs and bowl a team out in 30-35 overs which wouldn't benefit the batsmen or the bowlers. Spinners didn't have any role in matches in Punjab for quite a long time. Now we're using Kookaburra so the bowlers need to work hard and spinners are coming into play"

    "When you aren't performing then there is nothing wrong with critics and criticism, this is what happens in cricket. When you perform, you get praise. I will try to play the best innings I can for the team. If that's a big innings, I haven't made runs for a while so the more the better. I will try to play a big innings here"

    "There was rain in Pindi and the wicket was looking quite good for pacers due to the conditions but this wicket looks quite balanced between bat and ball and it looks like quite a good batting wicket"

    "We will reveal the team tomorrow. Fawad has been a consistent performer for a long time and he is an example for any player who plays cricket to not give up, he has come back in the team after a long time. He is capable and we will utilise him wherever we feel we need him. At the moment, we are continuing with our team but Fawad is in our plans, that's why he is in the squad"

    "Ask Ian Chappell that when Warner is batting on 100 then where do you put the fielders? When you don't strike with the new ball and the other team is 100-150/0 then you try some different things, you try to stop the flow of runs, build pressure etc. In a country like Australia, it's difficult to keep attacking without early wickets when the ball doesn't reverse. It's better when your bowling is on top, the runs are contained and you've taken wickets, then you do things differently. In Pindi we saw how the field placement completely changed after getting the 1st wicket. When bowlers are bowling, it's important to bowl according to the field and I don't think Ian Chappell saw that"

    "Abid has performed in FC cricket as has Fawad, the boys who are playing have also performed at Test level. There's no player who we can say is in the team for no reason. Sometimes there is a player we feel we can utilise who we may take from the other formats. I personally feel Abid Ali deserved to debut about 5 years ago, I was a big fan of him for Test cricket because he never got out. When we played against him then we used to think about how to get him out. 5-6 years ago I thought he can be a player who can play for Pakistan. I am hopeful that he can perform for Pakistan for however many years he plays for. FC cricket is important and Fawad is an example to stay patient and to grab chances when they come"

    "The WTC is a good initiative, it makes Test cricket interesting and people are more interested. Fans will also be attracted to it. In subcontinent, fans don't normally follow Test cricket deeply but the WTC is a great thing. The crowd in Pindi was amazing, I am hopeful that we will have a big crowd in Karachi also. The more people that come, the more interest will develop in Pakistan"

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    6,692
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If an average in the 20s over 2 years doesn't make you feel you're not good enough, then God help us

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    7,118
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So basically he will continue for another 2-3 years.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    17,175
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    If an average in the 20s over 2 years doesn't make you feel you're not good enough, then God help us
    Worse than that, he averages 12.12 from his last 8 away Tests in 4 different countries across the last two years.

    12.12.

    12.12!

    And yet he doesn’t recognise that he is a burden on the team, a non-playing captain.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    19,193
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since this is an Azhar bashing season, you should expect this thread to get flocked by PPers soon with hate-filled reactions.

    A 2 year lean patch is indeed something to worry about, and he needs to recover fast. However, the number of matches played during this period is shambolic - too little.

    Also, despite the bad form, an average of over 40 indicates his quality and utility he used to offer us. Also scored a double hundred in Aus out of all places. Helped us chase the historic 4th innings score.

    His peak was decent to good, so he's been given some time to recover from the lean patch.

    Let's see if he's able to recover without too long of a delay. Else his spot could be in real trouble.

    We have other players like Shan Masood who NEVER achieved anything good, never averaged even 40, yet are being given a long rope, despite averaging in 20s after 20 Tests. Hope Misbah takes notice.

  6. #6
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea add couple years to azhars age. He had declined quickly.

    And that fact that they gave him the captaincy baffles me even more.

    Then they lied to him that it will be a long term appointment.

    Azhar shouldve never accepted it and shouldve focused on his batting which is barely passable now.

    I dont see him lasting another series after this one.

    Hes lost his reflexes and whatever hand eye cordination he had.

    He only has himself to blame, he put undue pressure on himself to perform by becoming captain. When he was already failing with the bat lmaoooo

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    3,636
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising he doesn’t feel that way yet

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    2,424
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He smells of misbah mark my post he will be playing for pakistan till he's 40+

    Excuse will be it's a young team, he's stabilising the team

    During this process nobody will even think about grooming another Captain

    That's 2 decades of cricket distroyed first by misbah second by Azhar

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    17,175
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

    A 2 year lean patch is indeed something to worry about, and he needs to recover fast. However, the number of matches played during this period is shambolic - too little.

    Also, despite the bad form, an average of over 40 indicates his quality and utility he used to offer us. Also scored a double hundred in Aus out of all places. Helped us chase the historic 4th innings score.

    His peak was decent to good, so he's been given some time to recover from the lean patch.

    Let's see if he's able to recover without too long of a delay. Else his spot could be in real trouble.

    We have other players like Shan Masood who NEVER achieved anything good, never averaged even 40, yet are being given a long rope, despite averaging in 20s after 20 Tests. Hope Misbah takes notice.
    I know that you really admire Misbah, but you should probably admit that he made a grave error by giving a failing has-been the captaincy.

    I admire Marcelo Bielsa, but I know that some of his choices are poor.

    Everybody knows that Azhar would have been dropped forever by any other Test nation after the South Africa tour. At 34 when you have 3 consecutive away series failures, it’s over.

    Misbah views players in their thirties as his proxies, his puppets. And he has never kept abreast of domestic form: he judged players by head-to-Head experience, but even Mickey Arthur would know better than Misbah the respective QEA form of Zafar Gohar and Kashif Bhatti.

    At least Misbah’s batting improved with age. But Azhar’s has got worse, much worse.
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th December 2019 at 19:47.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,668
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What’s with all the complaining about the inexperienced attack. First Misbah, now Azhar.

    Get over it. And stop with the excuses

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    1,653
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When has that ever happened unless they are given the boot for good. He is not good enough for last 2 years yet he was made the captain by the same heads who groomed him over other deserving players.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,159
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

    A 2 year lean patch is indeed something to worry about, and he needs to recover fast. However, the number of matches played during this period is shambolic - too little.

    Also, despite the bad form, an average of over 40 indicates his quality and utility he used to offer us. Also scored a double hundred in Aus out of all places. Helped us chase the historic 4th innings score.

    His peak was decent to good, so he's been given some time to recover from the lean patch.

    Let's see if he's able to recover without too long of a delay. Else his spot could be in real trouble.

    We have other players like Shan Masood who NEVER achieved anything good, never averaged even 40, yet are being given a long rope, despite averaging in 20s after 20 Tests. Hope Misbah takes notice.
    2 year lean patch is a long time and during that time anybody would've booted him from the team, what makes Azhar Ali so special that he retain his position for so long let alone be awarded the test captaincy.

    In regards to the number of test matches played this year yes it's low but that's because of the world cup being played and yes you can blame team management as well, because too much effort has gone into playing in Pakistan as oppose to just playing. However, It's not as if Azhar Ali hasn't played tests before so it's negligible whether they played 50 tests or 10 tests this year.

    Azhar Ali was a fantastic player a couple of years back and yes he's had some good away success as well like you mentioned. However, Azhar's Ali's form is nowhere near the mark now and so we shouldn't be blinded by his overall test average of 40, in his last 20 innings he's averaged 28 with only 1 century and 3 half centuries. Nobody is Azhar Ali bashing but you can't justify this level of performance and still be retained in the team.

    Not a big fan of Shan Masood either and feel we can do better with Imran Butt or Sami Aslam. However, he's played well in away conditions better than in home conditions. Poorest thing about Shan is he's only scored 1 century.

    Bro it's not fair on other hard working domestic players that poorly performing players retain their place in the squad. I'm sorry to say brother but Azhar Ali has become nothing but a "yes" man.
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th December 2019 at 19:48.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    19,193
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Junaids

    Azhar has been wonderful through the years. It shows in his still above-40 average.

    At the same time, I acknowledge his bad form, and if it doesn't improve, he will get the boot too. Which I will back.

    Right now, there are much bigger problems, like Shan Masood, which are holding the team back. He can't even score 50s, let alone centuries.

    Let's see how long this slump lasts for Azhar, this is also a good chance to put the captaincy burden off Babar as he is the only one performing in the team.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    953
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He says they will announce the team tomorrow, yet confirms the reason Fawad ain’t playing cuz they are sticking with the team. Lol

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    7,595
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    @Junaids

    Azhar has been wonderful through the years. It shows in his still above-40 average.

    At the same time, I acknowledge his bad form, and if it doesn't improve, he will get the boot too. Which I will back.

    Right now, there are much bigger problems, like Shan Masood, which are holding the team back. He can't even score 50s, let alone centuries.

    Let's see how long this slump lasts for Azhar, this is also a good chance to put the captaincy burden off Babar as he is the only one performing in the team.
    Look I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but surely you didn't miss the class at school when you were taught how to count.

    Shan has scored 3 x 50s since the South Africa tour. He is averaging in the low 30s in 2019.

    Azhar Ali has scored ZERO half centuries since the South Africa tour and is averaging 13 in 2019.

    But nahi jee "there are much bigger problems, like Shan Masood..."

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    4,680
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll peform once in a while and retain his spot
    Along with Shafiq

    Sad thing is

    Shan
    Rizwan
    Azhar
    Shafiq

    Are all below mediocre and they are in the side
    So what can we expect

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,159
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketDon View Post
    He says they will announce the team tomorrow, yet confirms the reason Fawad ain’t playing cuz they are sticking with the team. Lol
    He’ll play bro but probably next series in shaa Allah. Just gotta keep faith. I would say had Haris failed in Rawalpindi then he would’ve played, but frankly I think to not accommodate a batsman who’s been kicking butt in Karachi in the QeA season is criminal.

    Fact is Asim Kamal said the ring thing they’re intimidated by good talent which is why he only got a short stint.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    2,511
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    He'll peform once in a while and retain his spot
    Along with Shafiq

    Sad thing is

    Shan
    Rizwan
    Azhar
    Shafiq

    Are all below mediocre and they are in the side
    So what can we expect
    Rizwan did well in Aus and you're calling him mediocre?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 18th December 2019 at 20:49.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,909
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Only smart thing from Azhar was to get the captaincy longterm rather than series by series like sarfaraz. Which means despite his tailender like performances he wont be dropped.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    1,653
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like hafeez who had stolen good amount of matches from Saad Ali and usamn salahudin with his stubbornness. This man also following the same path

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    6,777
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    What’s with all the complaining about the inexperienced attack. First Misbah, now Azhar.

    Get over it. And stop with the excuses
    And it's these boneheads that pick and play these players in the first place.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    5,195
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    @Junaids

    Azhar has been wonderful through the years. It shows in his still above-40 average.

    At the same time, I acknowledge his bad form, and if it doesn't improve, he will get the boot too. Which I will back.

    Right now, there are much bigger problems, like Shan Masood, which are holding the team back. He can't even score 50s, let alone centuries.

    Let's see how long this slump lasts for Azhar, this is also a good chance to put the captaincy burden off Babar as he is the only one performing in the team.
    How an average of 30 odd not better then 13. Explain to us genius.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 18th December 2019 at 21:42.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    8,456
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So he thinks he is still good enough.

    Lacking self awareness i say.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    1,489
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your still good enough than show us by scoring a mighty hundreds instead of talking about it in public. This statement would have made more sense if he said it by scoring a big hundred.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,909
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Stuart broad and co will be licking their lips at a gift wrapped wicket during next summer id Azhar is still around.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    29,431
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I know that you really admire Misbah, but you should probably admit that he made a grave error by giving a failing has-been the captaincy.

    I admire Marcelo Bielsa, but I know that some of his choices are poor.

    Everybody knows that Azhar would have been dropped forever by any other Test nation after the South Africa tour. At 34 when you have 3 consecutive away series failures, it’s over.

    Misbah views players in their thirties as his proxies, his puppets. And he has never kept abreast of domestic form: he judged players by head-to-Head experience, but even Mickey Arthur would know better than Misbah the respective QEA form of Zafar Gohar and Kashif Bhatti.

    At least Misbah’s batting improved with age. But Azhar’s has got worse, much worse.
    Let’s hope he can get Leeds United back to where the club belongs.


    Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    6,401
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistani cricket team is destined to play with a "handicapped" XI.

    We always have to have either 2 to 3 TTFs (Tried and Tested Failures Hafeez, Malik, Wahab etc.) or oldies in squad, who just won't go away

    After observing Australia, India or England, I can say these countries' biggest advantage over Pakistan is that they are fearless when it comes to dropping the dead weight. Even if they are legends like Cook or MSD.

    Pakistan, on the other hand, do the complete opposite We provide our opponents an advantage right when we announce the final squad Same story repeating itself over and over and over and over and over again

  28. #28
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    2,391
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is already there.

    It's such a nuisance seeing these players outlive their usefulness but it's hard to blame the players too much. The selectors are the ones to decide and they keep picking him. No player is going to say "don't select me, I am awful and would only be a drag". Every player thinks they can help the team even though they may not have the physical capacity to do so. It's up to selectors and coaches to realize the difference and clearly, over the decades, they have shown they are unable to and are completely incompetent.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,662
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Not looking good for Azhar unless he scores a big hundred in 2nd innings.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  30. #30
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    44,845
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    14,495
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not looking good for Azhar unless he scores a big hundred in 2nd innings.
    Does it really matter? He was struggling for more than 2 years and now awarded as captain due to friendship with head coach cum chief selector.
    Even if he fail miserably for next 2 series he will still be captain of the team due to his past glory. That's how it works in Pakistan, nobody except their expiry date and retire gracefully until they get kicked out.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,885
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Does it really matter? He was struggling for more than 2 years and now awarded as captain due to friendship with head coach cum chief selector.
    E
    Cum batting coach as well. It seems boys are not learning and repeating the same mistakes every game. Meanwhile batting coach is busy with sarcastic remarks during the press conference. Right hand ko left hand se batting karwayi hai.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    360
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this moment Fawad Alam is looking better option than Misbah-Azhar combined.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    2,905
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truth is, Azhar Ali has never, ever been good enough and he never will be.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,419
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to retire Azhar.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,668
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    his performance in the last 2 years is embarrassing for Pakistan cricket. Has a batting captain ever performed so poorly? At least Sarfraz was averaging 28 in 2019, Azhar is at an average of 10 or so

  37. #37
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,609
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    What are the factors behind Azhar Ali's lack of runs?

    If we cast aside the obvious age factor , what else could be the factor?

    Has he become a less patient than he was before? A lot of his dismissals are the result of trying to force the ball to leg side when he should be playing straight or in the V. I dont think that misbah is the right kind of coach to help him through that , he needs better advice from qualified batting coaches. Azhar is the captain and our next assignment is may be after 6 months and by then all will be forgotten , If azhar wants to turn it around he either needs to come down the order or do something drastically good to overcome his loss of patientce/ technical flaws.


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many Pakistani players, Azhar seems to have prolonged his career unnecessarily. The signs have been there for a long time. For him to accept the captaincy even after struggling for so long goes to show just how he is trying to cling on to his career. He is done as a player now. Should just retire.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    3,636
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    If we cast aside the obvious age factor , what else could be the factor?

    Has he become a less patient than he was before? A lot of his dismissals are the result of trying to force the ball to leg side when he should be playing straight or in the V. I dont think that misbah is the right kind of coach to help him through that , he needs better advice from qualified batting coaches. Azhar is the captain and our next assignment is may be after 6 months and by then all will be forgotten , If azhar wants to turn it around he either needs to come down the order or do something drastically good to overcome his loss of patientce/ technical flaws.
    It is is simply age related to decline. Happens to everyone. His hand-eye coordination isn't the same as it was a few years ago and thus his reflexes have declined.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    4,680
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Rizwan did well in Aus and you're calling him mediocre?
    Wow, 1 somewhat good match out of 50?

  41. #41
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    6,171
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Wow, 1 somewhat good match out of 50?
    That was his SECOND test match SMH x100 and this is his FIFTH.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @topspin so Azhar scored a fifty. Humiliating for you? Or should I write you deserved this humiliation after this one fifty like you did with Shan’s ton? Lol!

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    7,595
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    @topspin so Azhar scored a fifty. Humiliating for you? Or should I write you deserved this humiliation after this one fifty like you did with Shan’s ton? Lol!
    Let him score a ton first lol. Even if he does reach three figures, it won't be for the greater good of Pakistan cricket because he's had a poor 2018 and 2019. Unfortunately, Misbah will use his innings to give him an extended run until the end of 2020. Shan Masood on the other hand has averaged 40+ in both of those years, but for some reason you only seem to take aim at him.

    It's time for Shan Masood to replace Azhar Ali as captain.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Let him score a ton first lol. Even if he does reach three figures, it won't be for the greater good of Pakistan cricket because he's had a poor 2018 and 2019. Unfortunately, Misbah will use his innings to give him an extended run until the end of 2020. Shan Masood on the other hand has averaged 40+ in both of those years, but for some reason you only seem to take aim at him.

    It's time for Shan Masood to replace Azhar Ali as captain.
    Still he scored a 50 which Shan has only 6 in his career and thought I should ask you if it’s humiliating as you were pretty fast to ignore every post of mine on Shan’s thread and target the ones in which I said he has been given ore oppurtunities than every Pakistani batsman averaging less than 35 let alone mid 20s in 19 tests which is factually correct.

    I dont take aim at anybody Shan has scored a century but anybody who knows but about batting knows at the moment he is limited as a batsman and needs to improve further.

    Coming to captaincy, yes maybe he can be a decent captain but thats not gonna happen unless he cements his place in the team first and for that a lot of hardwork is needed.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    7,595
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Still he scored a 50 which Shan has only 6 in his career and thought I should ask you if it’s humiliating as you were pretty fast to ignore every post of mine on Shan’s thread and target the ones in which I said he has been given ore oppurtunities than every Pakistani batsman averaging less than 35 let alone mid 20s in 19 tests which is factually correct.

    I dont take aim at anybody Shan has scored a century but anybody who knows but about batting knows at the moment he is limited as a batsman and needs to improve further.

    Coming to captaincy, yes maybe he can be a decent captain but thats not gonna happen unless he cements his place in the team first and for that a lot of hardwork is needed.
    I acknowledge that Shan has been given more opportunities than he deserves between 2013 to 2017. But he has earned every test cap on merit since 2018. You can't deny this bro.

    If you think Shan Masood is "limited" then you ought to know that not only did he have the highest strike rate today but the SA commentary team (including Graeme Smith) were most impressed by his batting in the Pakistan team during their 2018/19 tour of SA.

    Well Azhar Ali has not done enough to retain his place in the side, but if he had done, he's certainly not good enough to be captain.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    I acknowledge that Shan has been given more opportunities than he deserves between 2013 to 2017. But he has earned every test cap on merit since 2018. You can't deny this bro.

    If you think Shan Masood is "limited" then you ought to know that not only did he have the highest strike rate today but the SA commentary team (including Graeme Smith) were most impressed by his batting in the Pakistan team during their 2018/19 tour of SA.

    Well Azhar Ali has not done enough to retain his place in the side, but if he had done, he's certainly not good enough to be captain.
    Cant deny Shan looked better than most in SA. Still test cricket isnt only gonna be played in SA and Aus, he needs to start and adapt and play in other conditions as well.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    607
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Cant deny Shan looked better than most in SA. Still test cricket isnt only gonna be played in SA and Aus, he needs to start and adapt and play in other conditions as well.
    Correct and he has adapted on home conditions with a 100

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,909
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Looks like he might be in side a little bit longer, he will be a walking wicket in england next summer.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    38,432
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately like your mentor you will carry on even if you are not good enough.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    1,489
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar is here to stay. He will play till he is 40 like Misbah.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    24,652
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Looks like he might be in side a little bit longer, he will be a walking wicket in england next summer.
    That England series is going to be a nightmare, an absolute right off with two walking wickets in the form of Shan and Azhar in the top 3 who are inevitably going to get exposed against a moving ball.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    6,171
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    That England series is going to be a nightmare, an absolute right off with two walking wickets in the form of Shan and Azhar in the top 3 who are inevitably going to get exposed against a moving ball.
    And Abid

  53. #53
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    44,845
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)


    Head too far across.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,662
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    A very happy and relieved Azhar Ali

    Name:  IMG-20191222-WA0003.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  265.3 KBName:  IMG-20191222-WA0004.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  171.9 KBName:  IMG-20191222-WA0007.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  243.8 KB


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    4,546
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to Azhar. This innings proves not much really, but if it leads to increased batting confidence from him, that will help.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @topspin. So Azhar scored the century. So I should also be tagging two three posters who were talking facts that Azhar wasnt performing and say how they deserve this humiliation. Lol.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    His softer than silk hundred would ensure that he keeps his place for another year.

    A mediocre, timid batsman in terminal decline who also happens to be an atrocious captain and a complete yes man to an atrocious coach/selector.

    Complete shambles.

  58. #58
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    15,183
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great to see him score a 100 hundred in Pakistan.

    A legendary player.

    Most Runs for Pakistan in Tests:
    Younis Khan
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Javed Miandad
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Azhar Ali

    A Pakistani All-time great even though his recent form suggests he should be out of the team within a couple of years.

    Definitely not a good captain, but as a batsman he’s had a great career.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    17,175
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    @topspin. So Azhar scored the century. So I should also be tagging two three posters who were talking facts that Azhar wasnt performing and say how they deserve this humiliation. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Great to see him score a 100 hundred in Pakistan.

    A legendary player.

    Most Runs for Pakistan in Tests:
    Younis Khan
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Javed Miandad
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Azhar Ali

    A Pakistani All-time great even though his recent form suggests he should be out of the team within a couple of years.

    Definitely not a good captain, but as a batsman he’s had a great career.
    Azhar Ali

    2017 average 42.00
    2018 average 30.41
    2019 average 21.72

    These numbers indicate terminal, age-related decline.

    It’s not like he’s out of form - he scored lots of cheap runs in the QEA. He just isn’t good enough for Test cricket any more.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Azhar Ali

    2017 average 42.00
    2018 average 30.41
    2019 average 21.72

    These numbers indicate terminal, age-related decline.

    It’s not like he’s out of form - he scored lots of cheap runs in the QEA. He just isn’t good enough for Test cricket any more.
    I agree and these are hard facts and I have said that in my post as they were for Shan’s struggles in his career as well. There were couple of posters who were tagging others on Shan’s average thread and were lettinf their emotions out with words like humble pie, humiliation.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,668
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    That England series is going to be a nightmare, an absolute right off with two walking wickets in the form of Shan and Azhar in the top 3 who are inevitably going to get exposed against a moving ball.
    That will probably be the series that ends Azhar's career, along with a few others (Shan, Asad, Haris if he's still around).

    Till then I expect more of the same from Azhar - generally failing with the bat with the odd 50 or 100.
    Age gets to everyone, and Azhar's time is up

  62. #62
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,668
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Great to see him score a 100 hundred in Pakistan.

    A legendary player.

    Most Runs for Pakistan in Tests:
    Younis Khan
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Javed Miandad
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Azhar Ali

    A Pakistani All-time great even though his recent form suggests he should be out of the team within a couple of years.

    Definitely not a good captain, but as a batsman he’s had a great career.
    While I agree that Azhar is one of Pakistan's top 5 test batsmen ever - it should be clear that there is a massive gap between the top 4 and the rest.

    Azhar averages about 10 runs lower than the others on that list, and his statistics are more comparable to Misbah, Salem Malik, Shafiq, Zaheer Abbas that the top 4.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    7,595
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    @topspin. So Azhar scored the century. So I should also be tagging two three posters who were talking facts that Azhar wasnt performing and say how they deserve this humiliation. Lol.
    I know you're obviously trolling but yeah lol as if Azhar Ali has been averaging 40+ since 2018. I stand by my post because you three were bashing him and constantly ridiculing him throughout this week. Like what do you make of the statement by Hawkeye claiming he wouldn't make the Afghanistan side?

    I get your grudge with him is to do with the fact that he's been given more chances than he's deserved, but that over the 2013 - 2017 period. From 2018 onwards he has maintained 40+ average which is more than good enough for this pathetic Pakistan side.

    If I'm not mistaken you desperately want to see Sami Aslam get a run but I don't think he is as versatile when it comes to having to negotiating different bowlers on different playing surfaces.

    As for Azhar Ali and Yasir Shah, I'm sure you and I can agree they are both past it and need to be moved on. The former is a poor captain and his batting in 2018 and 2019 is just not good enough even for this mediocre Pakistan side.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    30,368
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ideally test captaincy should have been handed over to Baber as well as ODIs. I don't think we have better options so might as well try someone who can prove his place in the team.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,668
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    Ideally test captaincy should have been handed over to Baber as well as ODIs. I don't think we have better options so might as well try someone who can prove his place in the team.
    I don't understand the logic behind giving Babar the T20 captaincy (and soon the ODI captaincy), but holding off on Tests. Babar is 25 and has been around for 5+ years, its not like he's 19 and just started international cricket. He should be captaining all 3 formats, especially when the alternate is Azhar Ali

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,612
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    I know you're obviously trolling but yeah lol as if Azhar Ali has been averaging 40+ since 2018. I stand by my post because you three were bashing him and constantly ridiculing him throughout this week. Like what do you make of the statement by Hawkeye claiming he wouldn't make the Afghanistan side?

    I get your grudge with him is to do with the fact that he's been given more chances than he's deserved, but that over the 2013 - 2017 period. From 2018 onwards he has maintained 40+ average which is more than good enough for this pathetic Pakistan side.

    If I'm not mistaken you desperately want to see Sami Aslam get a run but I don't think he is as versatile when it comes to having to negotiating different bowlers on different playing surfaces.

    As for Azhar Ali and Yasir Shah, I'm sure you and I can agree they are both past it and need to be moved on. The former is a poor captain and his batting in 2018 and 2019 is just not good enough even for this mediocre Pakistan side.
    I think Shan and Azhar both deserved the bashing they were getting on PP because it was totally based upon facts, they have done well in the last innings which is good but it doesnt warrant tagging posters after centuries because they were right to criticize Azhar because of his last 13-14 matches and Shan as well for his mediocre poor overall average and conversion rate.

    I am not at all desperate for Sami Aslam to play, he is no Don Bradman but he younger and can be a decent prospect if he has improved his range a bit. I just want Pak to do well, if Shan can create an impact then I dont have issues. He needs to continue from here as Shan cant afford another dry run here, he needs to make the starts count. I dont mind getting out on single figures of you get a good delivery but not converting so many starts (Which he had ability to get obviously) is criminal which he himself admitted in the post 3rd day interview.

    Even if management thinks Yasir can still contribute, they should atleast not select him in the playing xi as everybody can see he is struggling. If Azhar can continue scoring runs after this century and Pak does decently in the next test series too than he can continue otherwise obviously Pak needs to move on but now with his century and Pak on the verge of 2nd test series win in almost 2-3 years, its not the time.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,662
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Misbah on Azhar Ali today:

    "Azhar Ali has just come into form after such a long time, and now he has to wait another 4 months or so then any player feels that its like he is making a debut again"

    "The best thing was that Azhar came in at a time when there was a lot of pressure and he did not play a selfish innings"

    "Azhar Ali played in a way that was needed by the team and scored runs as well - so he scored a hundred and also helped the team"

    "You need mental strength and this is why he has scored valuable runs around the world"


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    1,489
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Misbah on Azhar Ali today:

    "Azhar Ali has just come into form after such a long time, and now he has to wait another 4 months or so then any player feels that its like he is making a debut again"
    This is a excuse for him to not score again in four months. So he is indicating he might lose his form after 4 months. I guess its similar to Yasir Shah after that mighty 100 against the Aussies.

    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    "The best thing was that Azhar came in at a time when there was a lot of pressure and he did not play a selfish innings"
    What pressure? The openers had already scored plenty of runs. All you needed to do was expand there hardwork. This was not a situation where we had a terrible start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •