Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The highest wicket taker in Big Bash has 14 wickets in 7 games.

2nd highest is Haris Rauf with 13 wickets in 4 games

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bowler.

Shame that people are more interested in his celebration rather than his skills and talent.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    He’s been banned from doing that slit throat celebration lol poor guy they making him soft anyways maza aya joshila saab you saw that josh btw he bowled 152.5 kph one delivery
    I saw a 151.3 kph delivery and a 150.5 kph one. A number of deliveries over 145. Didnt see a 152.5 one. May have missed it.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I saw a 151.3 kph delivery and a 150.5 kph one. A number of deliveries over 145. Didnt see a 152.5 one. May have missed it.
    It was the first delivery of the 18th over they showed it late on the screen

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    According to some Indian ‘experts’ .. he is a chucker?

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Is this guy playing stick cricket? Unreal, and puts more shame to Pakistan think tank and selectors. I mean why does he need to play well in Big Bash before he gets a look at for Pakistan. Been shouting out for a while that he should be given a chance in ODIs/T20s.
    There was a division between fans over Hasnain and Rauf.

I wanted Rauf, but it seems as if Hasnain was the 'correct' choice, and we all know how that turned out 😂.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    According to some Indian ‘experts’ .. he is a chucker?
    Doubt it.

They are just ridiculing him because of his form.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If he is a chucking then he will called out like Green

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a signing he has been.
    This is like a dream season.

Need to draft him for the t20 WC in Australia.
    Well done, Haris. Totally grabbed his chance with both hands.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Full spell.

Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th January 2020 at 13:04.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Litmus test for Waqar Younis. He has four fantastic prospects to work with now, all with different skill-sets. Naseem, Shaheen, Haris and Hasnain could be a devastating pace attack if developed properly.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lahore Qalandars

Press Release

Wednesday, 8th January;

Lahore: The management of Lahore Qalandars is proud of their very own star Haris Rauf, who today became the first Pakistani to achieve a hat-trick in Big Bash League in Australia.

Haris got three in three balls to finish with another outstanding figures of 3-23 in his four overs for Melbourne Stars against Sydney Thunders on Wednesday.

“It’s a dream come true moment for us, credit goes to Aaqib Javed who worked hard on him and most importantly showed confidence on him and today Haris has become a star,” said Mr. Sameen Rana, the CEO of Lahore Qalandars, the most favourite franchise of PSL.

Haris Rauf joined Qalandars family when he first came to appear in open trials under the player development program. He impressed everyone with his fiery pace in Gujranwala and was immediately picked by our head coach and director of cricket operations Aaqib Javed.

Since then, he never looked back. And, Qalandars are proud of the hard work and dedication Haris has showed.

“Credit to Haris for grabbing the opportunity well,”

“We are also thankful to Nick Cummins, the commercial director of Melbourne franchises for trusting the relationship we have with him,” Sameen Rana added.

It is also worth mentioning that Haris has also changed his wicket celebration after being advised by many.

“Today he proved that he’s not just a good Cricketer but also a humble sportsman with great mind,” Mr Sameen Rana concluded.

Qalandars will continue to support Pakistan’s emerging talent and the franchise is committed to make Pakistan a super power in cricketing world.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is he not playing for Pakistan in any format?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahorijat View Post
    Why is he not playing for Pakistan in any format?
    Patience, this is good for him, it builds up the hunger to get to the top.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Litmus test for Waqar Younis. He has four fantastic prospects to work with now, all with different skill-sets. Naseem, Shaheen, Haris and Hasnain could be a devastating pace attack if developed properly.
    Yes, exciting time for Pakistan pace attack and they cannot ask for a better coach.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, absolutely spot on, it's been a long time coming but I really do feel this looks a gun attack potentially, all you need is a quality spinner, zafar goar?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    When is Pakistans next LoI?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    When is Pakistans next LoI?
    Need to ask Papon about that

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is absolutely rapid.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Need to ask Papon about that
    He,his board,his players,his media...All are confused.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff.

Great thing is that he is improving by playing more cricket which is understandable as well as he didnt have much hard ball experience until maybe couple of years ago. Playing Pakistan cup 2019, 3 matches of QAE, National T20 cup and now big bash has definitely helped him to maintain his radar and understand his own bowling rhythm.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The match in a tweet: Haris the hat-trick hero! Rauf's ripping performance and another batting masterclass from Glenn Maxwell sends the Stars back to the top #BBL09

The score: Sydney Thunder 5-145 (Gilkes 41, Rauf 3-23) lost to Melbourne Stars 4-148 (Maxwell 59no, Stoinis 50) by six wickets with 13 balls to spare

The hat-trick

It’s not often you take a hat-trick and are forced to share the limelight, but that’s exactly what happened to Rashid Khan and Haris Rauf today.

Just hours after Rashid took a superb hat-trick for the Strikers in Adelaide, Rauf joined him with a hat-trick of his own – just the sixth in BBL history - that had the MCG rocking.

Having clocked one delivery at 151.3 km/h earlier in his spell, Rauf returned to bowl the final over of the innings and, with his second delivery, deceived Matt Gilkes with a slower ball and had him caught at fine leg.

Callum Ferguson was the next to go, another slower delivery doing the trick as the ball went via Ferguson’s backside onto his stumps.

But there was nothing slow about Rauf’s hat-trick ball; it beat Daniel Sams for pace and clattered into the batsman’s right thigh, sparking an enormous appeal, a raise of the finger from the umpire and an almighty roar from the 21,000-strong crowd.

And Rauf celebrated in typically jubilant fashion, setting off on a lap of the ground as his teammates converged and the strong crowd stood to their feet in appreciation.

The stat

After just four matches this season, Rauf sits second on the BBL wicket-taker’s list with 13 dismissals at an average of just 7.23. And just as impressively, he’s conceded just 5.87 runs an over.

The match-winners

Marcus Stoinis and Glenn Maxwell were the perfect combination in a tricky run chase for the Stars, the pair sharing a vital stand that secured another win for their side.

Stoinis was the steady hand, hitting one huge six but mostly playing within himself, finishing with 50 from 44 balls, his third consecutive half-century that moved him back to the top of the BBL run-scorer’s list.

Maxwell, on the other hand, was at his typically inventive best. The skipper blazed eight fours and one six straight down the ground, while he also picked the gaps expertly in the huge expanses of the MCG outfield.

He finished with 59 not out from 37 balls to continue his superb season and maintain his tournament strike rate that is well and truly over the 160 mark.

The absentee

The Thunder camp was on the back foot before they even arrived at the MCG after the BBL was rocked by the news star spinner Chris Green had been banned for an illegal bowling action.

Green was cited during the Thunder’s loss to the Stars last week and underwent testing on his action in Brisbane on Sunday.

The results from the testing ruled that Green’s action is illegal and he has therefore been suspended from bowling for a period of 90 days in all Cricket Australia-run competitions, effectively ending his KFC BBL season.

The BKT Golden Cap

There was a mini game of Pass the Parcel at the MCG tonight as the BKT Golden Cap as the tournament’s leading run-scorer changed hands before returning to its original owner.

Stoinis had the cap on his head to start the match but had to hand it to Ferguson at the change of innings when the Thunder skipper continued his bright season with a crucial knock of 35 from 27 deliveries to move to the top of the list.

But Stoinis took it straight back, his third fifty in a row securing the win for his side and the Golden Cap on his head.

The wash-up

The Sixers displaced the Stars at the top of the standings with their win in Adelaide today, but the Melbourne side are back on top thanks to their Net Run Rate ahead of a match between the two at the MCG on Sunday.

Before that, the Stars will look to inflict more misery on the Renegades, who are without a win from seven games heading into their derby at Marvel Stadium on Friday.

The Thunder remain well and truly in the hunt for finals with three wins from eight games and next face a pivotal clash against the Hurricanes at the Sydney Showgrounds on Sunday.

Melbourne Stars XI: Marcus Stoinis, Nic Maddinson, Nick Larkin, Glenn Maxwell (c), Peter Handsscomb, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Adam Zampa, Dan Worrall, Haris Rauf, Sandeep Lamichhane

Sydney Thunder XI: Usman Khawaja, Alex Hales, Callum Ferguson (c), Matthew Gilkes, Alex Ross, Chris Morris, Daniel Sams, Arjun Nair, Nathan McAndrew, Jono Cook, Chris Tremain

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/matc...les/2020-01-08

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He sure has put himself out there now with these performances in BBL and I am sure that if Melbourne Stars do go all the way he could be their permanent fixture for the next season of BBL as well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Haris Rauf at the MoTM ceremony

"I want to thank Allah. I am very happy to get 3 wickets at MCG to make this match a memorable one"

"I have been watching cricket since my childhood and I know it's the best ground in the world. I really wanted to play here, I had played in Sydney in the past couple of years and today my dream to play at MCG was fulfilled"

"My family in Pakistan is quite happy. The LQ management and franchise who supported me, Aaqib Javed who worked with me, Sameen and Atif Rana are happy and they have supported me a lot"

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is the missing link in LOI setup. I'm sure he will grab his chance with both hands.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aasifwanis View Post
    I think he is the missing link in LOI setup. I'm sure he will grab his chance with both hands.
    Our missing link is our batting

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just saw the highlights of that final over. Quality bowler this lad.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aasifwanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Our missing link is our batting
    We're not missing a link. We're missing the whole chain

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooner we have him debut in ODIs, eventually Tests, the better as we can discover if those are the two formats he should prioritize, over T20is.

He looks as though he can harass the off-stump, and esp. against right handers - keep all three dismissal modes in play.

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Last PSL, he was the best Death Bowler, still we did not pick him for WC. Now he is the best bowler in BBL, not just death and still been sacked every now and then... He can be Bhumra type of bowler, if Pakistan invest in him. With economical runup he generates lot of pace, mostly through his final thrust much like Bhumra. His action is slingy and better suited for reverse and Yorker, again another major short fall in our bowling attack(in all formats)...

Pakistan need to invest in Rauf, Naseem Shah and Afridi... Our pace battery is getting back, we need to manage them properly...

Courtnile is in Rauf's team and is far inferior bowler than him, who has fetched pretty good money in IPL, one wonders how much money the like of Shah, Rauf, Afridi, Babar, Amir etc would have made in IPL... This is not just about money, the development of players and next stock getting pumped by the opportunity is another huge deal for growing Cricket(and business of Cricket) in the country. Pakistan is missing big time from IPL and not playing to India, which will be NBA for Cricket in a Decade or so....

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bowling spell my rauf showing his call and his brain mixture of slower balls,bouncers and Yorkers he needs to be in the upcoming t20 squad for Pakistan and the world cup

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What a talent ma sha Allah! Keep working hard, Pakistan team next IA.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Remember when some Pprs used to mock posters who would say Pakistan has 90mph Pacers walking the streets.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deserves a go ahead of Hasnain musa and some other over hyped talents

I want to see how good akif is if he is also good then it will be a deadly attack

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
    Remember when some Pprs used to mock posters who would say Pakistan has 90mph Pacers walking the streets.
    The exciting thing is that this lad was a tape ball star previously. Will give a major boost to all the tape ball fast bowlers out there to dream big and convert their pace and energy into hard ball cricket.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It took them Rauf going to Australia to identify his talent. He was ready for international cricket before the World Cup. He could have been a game changer. Pakistanis like to talk talent a lot but they are terrible at identifying it.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
    Pakistan has plenty of fast bowlers but they don't get a chance.In Pakistan you need luck or connections.PCB has no system to find talent especially from smaller towns.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I know people mock these talent hunts across Pakistan but Qalandars deserve credit for finding Haris and providing him with opportunities.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    People dismissed him as a T-20 specialist at best

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I'm on the flip side of others.

I DON'T want him playing any more games.

The best thing about Haris will be the surprise element. Now, due to the hype he has received, teams and analysts will be working him out.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    I'm on the flip side of others.

I DON'T want him playing any more games.

The best thing about Haris will be the surprise element. Now, due to the hype he has received, teams and analysts will be working him out.
    You can't work out pace

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

This gesture is referred to as a “kornish” in Urdu literature. Courtiers would present the King with the kornish while bending at the waist and stepping backwards.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I know people mock these talent hunts across Pakistan but Qalandars deserve credit for finding Haris and providing him with opportunities.
    True. Made him into a known commodity out of nowhere and I think Aaqib with all his shortcomings also deserves a lot of credit in how he conducted trials across Pakistan of so many players and how developed Rauf. LQ might not be doing well as a team and Aaqib might not have the best of histories with action remodeling but they deserve the credit for how hard they have been trying and this success story.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    It took them Rauf going to Australia to identify his talent. He was ready for international cricket before the World Cup. He could have been a game changer. Pakistanis like to talk talent a lot but they are terrible at identifying it.

This!

Waqar obviously failed to identify Harris's talent and his potential during PSL, and for however long, this kid was on the scenes in the latest domestic cricket.

And now Waqar is getting vocal in order to get credit for introducing this kid to Misbah and then getting him into the national squad.

This is the same Waqar who took Muhammad Irfan to Australia. I mean, Irfan's run up looked as if a grandma is running after her grand kids.
    How can you not see this in nets/trials/practice sessions, while being the national bowling coach working with the head coach/chief selector?

Anyway, staying positive, lets hope Harris not only gets his chance in the national side but more importantly, during the BBL, he works with some Australian pace bowling coaches to learn how to use the seam and wrist position, before Waqar destroys him with his own coaching.

Coming back to the last point of your post.

IMO,
    Great players enter into Pak's national team by two main routes.

1 - Our low standard, broken and somewhat corrupt domestic cricket churns out a couple of international level stars once every decade.
    Examples we have are, Hanif, Majid, Zaheer, Imran, Qadir, Miandad, Yousf, Saqlain, Younis and now Baber.

(Forget bowling and batting - just watch the athletism and fielding skills in the BBL and compare it with Pakistan's domestic cricket standard, to get an idea of how terribly we lag behind in meeting the demands of modern day cricket).

2 - The eyes of the expert identifies the diamond in the dust.
    These domestic youngsters may not have an impressive domestic record but those who truly know cricket and they are selfless individuals who honestly care about Pak cricket, identify the talent and bring them on-board, train them, and make them work hard before entering the National team.

Examples are: Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Inzimam ul Haq, Ajmal etc (yes credit to Misbah who personally brought him into the national side while Ajmal was ignored for years by the various national selectors).

Both of these routes kinda clicked in the nineties and we had a team packed with international superstars.

What’s the problem now?
    a - Our domestic cricket is producing less and less international quality players due to the entire environment of cricket that's changing all our the world.
    I mean, it looks like one of the most popular cricket formats in Pakistan is a one over match.
    We have the likes of Shahbaz Kalia, Arasalan Achi, Javed Langra, Abu Bakar King (who takes his batting run up behind the wickets while the bowler starts his run up from behind the umpire) Ahsan Chitta, Dawood Pathan, Khurram Chakwal, and Taimoor Mirza etc who are our domestic national popular heroes. (Ironically, Harris Rauf is also the production of such cricket)

We thought T20 was fast paced but it quickly pushed the T10 format.
    What's coming next on the international scene? T5 and then T1?

b - We don’t have those set of expert eyes and those selfless individuals anymore who could identify the diamond in the dust and select them for further training, instead of just jumping into domestic scorecards and blindly picking the top performers.

I appreciate that this board actually has tried to change a thing or two in an effort to improve things. And I hope more competitive domestic level cricket played in a non-corrupt environment will help produce better domestic players.

We also need to resume and organize cricket on school level. This is where the actual magic starts to happen.
    India has an absolute great school level cricket, it's fully organized and properly managed. And we have seen the results.
    There is nothing wrong in copying good ideas from others and implementing on oneself in an effort towards improvement.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    This!

Waqar obviously failed to identify Harris's talent and his potential during PSL, and for however long, this kid was on the scenes in the latest domestic cricket.

And now Waqar is getting vocal in order to get credit for introducing this kid to Misbah and then getting him into the national squad.
    Waqar wasnt the bowling coach until the Srl series. Yes you can argue why he didnt select him for Srl and Aus T20s but I think playing 3 QAE matches and national T20 cup did him a lot of good.

However, question is why he wasnt selected early in the year against Aus in 5 ODIs in UAE when all sorts of so called experimentation going on with Yasir and Abbas in ODI squad after pretty decent PSL which could have been his chance to grab a slot in the WC squad was a much bigger surprise for me considering how important WC was and we were lacking a death overs bowler.

Unfortunately Azhar and Mickey couldnt even praise him with a comment or tweet rather the only thing they said was how raw he was while they selected Hasnain in WC (Who according to physios is still working hard on his fitness for 10 overs and longer spells).

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    This gesture is referred to as a “kornish” in Urdu literature. Courtiers would present the King with the kornish while bending at the waist and stepping backwards.
    You, sir, are a man of culture!

Aadaab!

PS: Get Rauf in the next series' squad Misbah!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO,

1 - Our low standard, broken and somewhat corrupt domestic cricket churns out a couple of international level stars once every decade.
    Examples we have are, Hanif, Majid, Zaheer, Imran, Qadir, Miandad, Yousf, Saqlain, Younis and now Baber.

(Forget bowling and batting - just watch the athletism and fielding skills in the BBL and compare it with Pakistan's domestic cricket standard, to get an idea of how terribly we lag behind in meeting the demands of modern day cricket).

These domestic youngsters may not have an impressive domestic record but those who truly know cricket and they are selfless individuals who honestly care about Pak cricket, identify the talent and bring them on-board, train them, and make them work hard before entering the National team.

Examples are: Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Inzimam ul Haq, Ajmal etc (yes credit to Misbah who personally brought him into the national side while Ajmal was ignored for years by the various national selectors).

Both of these routes kinda clicked in the nineties and we had a team packed with international superstars.

What’s the problem now?
    a - Our domestic cricket is producing less and less international quality players due to the entire environment of cricket that's changing all our the world.
    I mean, it looks like one of the most popular cricket formats in Pakistan is a one over match.
    We have the likes of Shahbaz Kalia, Arasalan Achi, Javed Langra, Abu Bakar King (who takes his batting run up behind the wickets while the bowler starts his run up from behind the umpire) Ahsan Chitta, Dawood Pathan, Khurram Chakwal, and Taimoor Mirza etc who are our domestic national popular heroes. (Ironically, Harris Rauf is also the production of such cricket)

b - We don’t have those set of expert eyes and those selfless individuals anymore who could identify the diamond in the dust and select them for further training, instead of just jumping into domestic scorecards and blindly picking the top performers.

I appreciate that this board actually has tried to change a thing or two in an effort to improve things. And I hope more competitive domestic level cricket played in a non-corrupt environment will help produce better domestic players.

We also need to resume and organize cricket on school level. This is where the actual magic starts to happen.
    India has an absolute great school level cricket, it's fully organized and properly managed. And we have seen the results.
    There is nothing wrong in copying good ideas from others and implementing on oneself in an effort towards improvement.
    Well put with some valid and interesting points. I think the new domestic structure can turn out to be pretty good in next 3-4 years.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post

Aadaab!

If T20s vs BD do take place then we might see him in the squad.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post

Aadaab!

Apparently so is Haris Rauf...

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    In terms of Pakistan, in whatever format, there is still the problem that Haris Rauf is only 5'10 tall.

As I keep writing, a team can carry one fast bowler shorter than 6'4 (ideally) or 6'0 (at the absolute bare minimum).

The reason for this is that the taller quicks keep the batsman on the front foot when they bowl a full length, and they dry up the scoring rate at the other end, but also at the short quick's end when he is having a break.

You can be Haris Rauf or Naseem Shah at 5'10 and be effective when the giants are throttling the scoring rate by bowling at the other end and when you are having a break are keeping the run rate so low that the batsman has to take risks against you.

But you can't have 2 short quicks in the same attack. It has never ever ever worked in history since colour television came in 50 years ago, and it's not going to miraculously start to work now.

Haris Rauf is a brilliant prospect and it was appalling incompetence by Misbah-ul-Haq to select Musa Khan ahead of him for the T20i series in Australia, let alone the Tests.

But Pakistan can't afford to have Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah in the same starting eleven. They can pick one of them, but what they really need is a right-arm version of Shaheen Shah Afridi, at 6'6 in height.

That's what Pakistan needs.

Having Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah is like having Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill at the same time. You can actually only pick one of them in any given match, and you would be better off if they cropped up in different generations.
    Last edited by Junaids; 9th January 2020 at 04:10.

Debut
    Jun 2016
    Venue
    Los Angeles, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This!

This is the same Waqar who took Muhammad Irfan to Australia. I mean, Irfan's run up looked as if a grandma is running after her grand kids.
    How can you not see this in nets/trials/practice sessions, while being the national bowling coach working with the head coach/chief selector?

Anyway, staying positive, lets hope Harris not only gets his chance in the national side but more importantly, during the BBL, he works with some Australian pace bowling coaches to learn how to use the seam and wrist position, before Waqar destroys him with his own coaching.

IMO,

What’s the problem now?

Great post to begin your career on pp. Welcome onboard.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    In terms of Pakistan, in whatever format, there is still the problem that Haris Rauf is only 5'10 tall.

As I keep writing, a team can carry one fast bowler shorter than 6'4 (ideally) or 6'0 (at the absolute bare minimum).

The reason for this is that the taller quicks keep the batsman on the front foot when they bowl a full length, and they dry up the scoring rate at the other end, but also at the short quick's end when he is having a break.

You can be Haris Rauf or Naseem Shah at 5'10 and be effective when the giants are throttling the scoring rate by bowling at the other end and when you are having a break are keeping the run rate so low that the batsman has to take risks against you.

But you can't have 2 short quicks in the same attack. It has never ever ever worked in history since colour television came in 50 years ago, and it's not going to miraculously start to work now.

Haris Rauf is a brilliant prospect and it was appalling incompetence by Misbah-ul-Haq to select Musa Khan ahead of him for the T20i series in Australia, let alone the Tests.

But Pakistan can't afford to have Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah in the same starting eleven. They can pick one of them, but what they really need is a right-arm version of Shaheen Shah Afridi, at 6'6 in height.

Having Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah is like having Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill at the same time. You can actually only pick one of them in any given match, and you would be better off if they cropped up in different generations.

I am not sure about your stat that no good attack has ever had two short quicks in the same team! Waqar and Shoaib were both under six ft, for example, off the top of my head. I am sure there are plenty more.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another example would be Makhaya, Steyn, Pollock. None of whom were particularly tall.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haris Rauf is amazing from the BBL games i've been watching. Incredible speed, control and nice variety as well. Need to fast track him for the national team while he is in this red hot form.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haris has to be 6 feet, he is a bit taller than Maxwell , who I think is at least 5-11.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NZ have Boult and Wagner in the same attack, India have Bumrah and Shami. I don't know about you, but I would love to have 2 or 3 Dale Steyn's in my pace attack.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    NZ have Boult and Wagner in the same attack, India have Bumrah and Shami. I don't know about you, but I would love to have 2 or 3 Dale Steyn's in my pace attack.
    Rauf is exactly 6 feet idk what Junaids is talking about. See his pictures with Glenn maxwell he’s the exact same height and with virat kohli he’s 2 inches taller and virat is 5”10

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    They are busy giving talent like 37 year old Muhammad Irfan chances.

When you have four pacers such as Shaheen, Naseem, Hasnain and Rauf, no one else has any business playing for Pakistan. I don't believe we need Amir anymore either. Hasan Ali and Sameen Gul as back-ups.

Develop this quartet with the utmost priority, rather than mollycoddling them or making excuses not to pick them. But isn't as straight-forward for Pakistan ever. We still have calls for Tabish Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Rahat Ali etc from the stupid media

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    Rauf is exactly 6 feet idk what Junaids is talking about. See his pictures with Glenn maxwell he’s the exact same height and with virat kohli he’s 2 inches taller and virat is 5”10
    Still too short by his standards.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Junaid bhai. At his pace, with the control he's shown, height does not matter. I would play 4 Haris Raufs if they were available.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting analysis that I have not thought too much about before, but kind of make sense. (Don't know why Madan Lal immediately jumped into my head )

If I was to put pace bowlers in two main categories then these are.

1- The ones who primarily use their back and leg muscles to generate pace. These could be Muhammad Zahid, Waqar Yonus, Dale Steyn, Shoaib Akhar, Hassan Ali, and lately Naseem Shah. And as we all know, these bowlers are usually more injury prone.

2 - The ones who primarily use their shoulder muscle to generate the pace. Wasim is a classical example and Sohail Tanvir is an extreme example. These bowlers are obviously somewhat less injury prone when compared to group 1.
    Many, many medium pace bowlers these days prefer to be in group 2 to prolong their careers since an extra fast pace bowler cannot survive for long in modern day cricket where the boundary lines are smaller than my kitchen and tree trunks are used in the name of cricket bats.

These days a deceptive slower ball has more probability of getting you a wicket than the one hurled at 160 kph.

And I believe Harris falls in group 1.

And here comes the problem as I stated above.

These days a good cricketer has to play QUITE A LOT of cricket all year round. It's mostly non-stop.

And the human body of a fast bowler is simply not designed to take this much of a work load. So I am a bit more cautious of his injury rather than his international level performance outside of Australia, which is yet to be seen.

If pace is your strength then you probably not gonna last for long in modern day cricket unless you plan wisely and play it smart.

And this is something that he (and Naseem) needs to be educated on, be advised on and being made cautious of.

He can then carefully decide as to which route he wants to take? Make quick money and probably put an end to his career fairly quickly, or strike a balance between making money and prolonging his career by showing some faith to his board and his country?

Perhaps the board and selectors can take him and Naseem into confidence and rotate them with Shaheen on the other end?

There is another sidebar point that may seem laughable to many but this is my personal view.

How good is his health in general?

Starting from the days in PSL, I noted his puffy and swollen eyes, and the lack of youth glow and freshness on his face.

This is somewhat unusual for a person of his age.

It usually happens to young people when they are sleep deprived for a very long time.
    And these days, internet addiction and screen time, turns many of us into night owls.
    This is a bad news, especially for a sportsman.

And if this is his issue then I hope he breaks this habit, fixes his sleeping routine and gets appropriate daily rest, which is super important for not only all of us, but especially for a sportsman.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

TV report regarding Haris performance in yesterday's game.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If someone was ever living the dream, it was this lad! What a turnaround. Am still getting angry though as why M Irfan was preferred over Rauf in the last T20 series in Australia. Waqar/Misbah need to be sacked for this honestly! They cannot keep cheating out fans.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would be interesting to see how people here feel Harris's position in our test team....

the guy seems to be more strongly built than most of our bowlers
    i think (could be wrong) he can bowl 20 overs with this intensity in a day
    skidder with good control and with some polish can be lethal...CAN BE ..

i hope he doesnt turn out to be another one of those who wants to focus on LOI only ....

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Waqar wasnt the bowling coach until the Srl series. Yes you can argue why he didnt select him for Srl and Aus T20s but I think playing 3 QAE matches and national T20 cup did him a lot of good.

However, question is why he wasnt selected early in the year against Aus in 5 ODIs in UAE when all sorts of so called experimentation going on with Yasir and Abbas in ODI squad after pretty decent PSL which could have been his chance to grab a slot in the WC squad was a much bigger surprise for me considering how important WC was and we were lacking a death overs bowler.

Unfortunately Azhar and Mickey couldnt even praise him with a comment or tweet rather the only thing they said was how raw he was while they selected Hasnain in WC (Who according to physios is still working hard on his fitness for 10 overs and longer spells).
    Well using your logic, yes you can argue Haris Rauf should've played in the "experimentation" series against Australia and England, but him playing the Pakistan Cup will have helped his development too.

But Waqar is meant to be the fast bowling guru yet he okayed the selection of 37 year old Mohammed Irfan and an unproven midget in Musa Khan. I know you are not defending those selections, but there is absolutely no excuse why Haris Rauf couldn't have played versus a Sri Lanka side minus its senior pros, and against Australia given the mediocrity Misbah and Waqar selected instead.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    They are busy giving talent like 37 year old Muhammad Irfan chances.

When you have four pacers such as Shaheen, Naseem, Hasnain and Rauf, no one else has any business playing for Pakistan. I don't believe we need Amir anymore either. Hasan Ali and Sameen Gul as back-ups.

Develop this quartet with the utmost priority, rather than mollycoddling them or making excuses not to pick them. But isn't as straight-forward for Pakistan ever. We still have calls for Tabish Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Rahat Ali etc from the stupid media
    The fact is Pakistan never does itself any favours because its selectors have no ability to judge talent until their skills are so blindingly obvious it's impossible to ignore them any longer !

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Exciting. I seriously feel he is the best LOI option Pakistan have. Maybe he can do well in tests too but limited overs wise he is already looking like a complete bowler with lots of variety.

For now they can keep Naseem solely for tests. Shaheen can play tests and limited over matches on and off. Hopefully pcb manage these bowlers well

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The fact is Pakistan never does itself any favours because its selectors have no ability to judge talent until their skills are so blindingly obvious it's impossible to ignore them any longer !
    We are quite possibly the worst when it comes to developing cricketers.

Give PCB the talent pool New Zealand and watch them take this team to Division 2 of the CWC league. It's one thing to have one or two cases go astray, but to have pretty much every young player start off well then fizzle out speaks volumes about the management of these cricketers.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Misbah selecting Irfan over this guy says it all.

Every performance of Haris Rauf in the Big Bash, hurts Misbah, shows him to be stupider than we already thought

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Still has lots to learn but what a great story.

This is what dreams are made of.

I just hope he stays on the right path and is managed well.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Misbah selecting Irfan over this guy says it all.

Every performance of Haris Rauf in the Big Bash, hurts Misbah, shows him to be stupider than we already thought
    Long list of blunders Misbah has committed.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    Exciting. I seriously feel he is the best LOI option Pakistan have. Maybe he can do well in tests too but limited overs wise he is already looking like a complete bowler with lots of variety.

For now they can keep Naseem solely for tests. Shaheen can play tests and limited over matches on and off. Hopefully pcb manage these bowlers well
    At least they should keep Nseem miles away from T20.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This guy is a fighter and uses his brain to bowl well. I did not know much about him and was pleasantly surprised to see him bowl some thunderbolts.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    This!

IMO,

What’s the problem now?

It was acc Shoaib Malik who picked Ajmal btw.