Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"The team management and players have all named me Legend" : Abid Ali

Press conference comments

Shan Masood:

The wicket's behaviour has changed, after we used the heavy roller it's giving the batsmen more time. In the 1st innings, pace bowlers were difficult to handle. Today when we used the heavy roller again, the ball was skidding so the bounce was a bit lower than Day 1 and the wicket was a bit faster.

There are some cracks on the wicket. If you saw Abid bhai's dismissal, it came towards the stumps from a good area which is difficult to play. We will try to set a target that puts SL under pressure, anything around 450-500 that will also give us 4-5 sessions to try and avoid a draw. We want to take advantage of our commanding position.

I think this is a more special hundred, to score in Karachi on your home ground with Test cricket coming home. It's a big achievement for the nation that Test cricket is coming home. My 1st 100 after 4+ years, I got lots of starts since I came back into the side last year but I didn't convert many of them which led to frustration. Here it was important for me to carry on, for the team and on a personal note also to change those 40s and 60s into a 3 figure score.

The team's situation wasn't good when we went into bat, we were trailing by 80. In Pallakelle we had a record chase but here there was another type of pressure, you don't want to lose a series at home. It was nice that with Abid as with the A team, we managed to perform to international cricket also.

Our next target was 300 runs, Asad Shafiq in the dressing room told us about the record. It's sad to have missed out but it's about the contribution to the team and we have brought the team into a good position.

Last year when we played for the A team vs Australia, Eng Lions, NZ A, I played with Abid Ali and we had some matches and good partnerships so that helps you. Our running between the wickets was good which was important. That helps to upset bowlers' plans.

A batsman is never happy to be dismissed. There were 10 mins left for Tea and I have been dismissed a few times close to intervals. The shot I played was half hearted and I didn't play it towards mid wicket nor square leg. I back my pull shot because I have gotten runs with it over the last year but I am disappointed with the execution of that shot.

Abid Ali:

The lead of 80 meant we were under pressure and we started at the evening. We wanted to be positive and build a partnership and keep rotating strike and we were successful with our plans.

I have done hard work in domestic cricket and played with regions, depts, etc. and all that gave me confidence. All the runs I made in 105 FC matches were in my mind and I wanted to be positive and utilise my chance.

The team management and players have all named me Legend and I am thankful for that. It's a positive and it comes into my mind, legend is a big thing and it puts more responsibility on me so I try to focus as much as I can and give maximum performance for Pakistan.

The opponent team always does their homework so I keep trying to rectify my mistakes and play positively. In international cricket, you have to keep reducing your weaknesses so I will work on that.

I want to play cricket, whether that's domestic cricket or PSL. I will keep working hard.

I regret getting out at that time, I was playing so well but I am thankful to Allah. I wanted to keep building partnerships and went with small plans. Unfortunately I got that ball, it's a part of cricket. I will keep trying.

We have played together in domestic cricket and in A tours as well so we were giving each other confidence. We knew our weaknesses and kept backing each other to be positive. There were no problems with running between the wickets etc. also.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well jisa Allah izzat da tu kon rook sakta han.

Who would have thought he will play test cricket for pakistan and hit back to back 100s.

hard work never ruined.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cringe.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Cringe.
    What's your beef with Abid Ali ? Not like we're blessed with Sehwags and Haynes in domestic cricket.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    What's your beef with Abid Ali ? Not like we're blessed with Sehwags and Haynes in domestic cricket.
    Don't like it when players are hyped to the moon for no reason. He's scored a hundred against a depleted Sri Lankan bowling attacks at home on a dead pitch. So what's the basis of this hype?

He's bound to fail in the SENA countries and I'm just waiting for that to happen.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    What the deal with this comment we are not blessed with sehwag and X and x in Our domestic we might have but we are not giving them chances

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like it when players are hyped to the moon for no reason. He's scored a hundred against a depleted Sri Lankan bowling attack at home on a dead pitch. So what's the basis of this hype?

He's bound to fail in the SENA countries and I'm just waiting for that to happen.
    attack*

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Shan and Abid putting their names on NSK Honour's board

Name:  1655ac4c-5f25-4639-95b9-48e535fac40f.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  227.5 KBName:  24e07fc6-ec85-4708-8d80-d3d6fb2b2f77.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  264.2 KBName:  cb23ffeb-2b3a-4435-985b-712204adc97d.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  293.1 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Don't like it when players are hyped to the moon for no reason. He's scored a hundred against a depleted Sri Lankan bowling attacks at home on a dead pitch. So what's the basis of this hype?

I don't know anyone hyping him to the moon other than praising him for pulling off a rare feat in scoring two Test hundreds in his first two Tests in addition to a debut ODI hundred. That's a terrific achievement given how awful our openers have been post-Saeed Anwar.

Sure it remains to be seen how Abid will fare versus better bowlers than this Sri Lanka attack (which shouldn't be dismissed given they outbowled South Africa in their own backyard), but you can only play the opponents in front of you. Plus our other openers like Azhar, Imam and Aslam weren't even scoring on UAE roads.

Also, what technical basis makes you predict he'll fail in SENA conditions ? Maybe reflexes slowing with age will be an issue on bouncier pitches. But he's played a lot of FC cricket at the bowler friendly Diamond Ground, and has been the best opener in QEA Trophy in the last few years including when conditions were far more bowler friendly than this season. So he's better equipped to go overseas than the alternative options.

Let's give players credit for once instead of this endless negativity.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like a pure hater . Talking about degrading someoneís accomplishments. Heís not hyped . Heís being praised as he has scored back to back hundreds. You want people just to ignore it .
    Shameless attitude .

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He considers himself a legend already after two Tests. Lol

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    He considers himself a legend already after two Tests. Lol
    Literally no. He sounds embarrassed whenever it's brought up but he was asked about it because word gets around.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Shan and Abid putting their names on NSK Honour's board

Name:  1655ac4c-5f25-4639-95b9-48e535fac40f.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  227.5 KBName:  24e07fc6-ec85-4708-8d80-d3d6fb2b2f77.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  264.2 KBName:  cb23ffeb-2b3a-4435-985b-712204adc97d.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  293.1 KB
    I hope someone can rub this off and write it again with the same paint that has been used before.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Literally no. He sounds embarrassed whenever it's brought up but he was asked about it because word gets around.
    I wish those questionnaires give him his space. Let him perform around the world before they get on this hype train. His achievements in the two Tests are remarkable no doubt but what matters is that if the team wins this Test.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    I hope someone can rub this off and write it again with the same paint that has been used before.
    I agree. Also Shanís writing is better. Its gonna take Abid Ali years to perfect his hand writing. I know he can do it since he is considered a legend in the dressing room.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    This is just the photo op. They will stencil and print names properly later on

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mighty impressed by his performance so far. Really didn't expect that mammoth of a partnership. Looks like finally Pak got a stable opening pair.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Mighty impressed by his performance so far. Really didn't expect that mammoth of a partnership. Looks like finally Pak got a stable opening pair.
    We didnít have one first innings. In one innings we start to have one?

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didnít have one first innings. In one innings we start to have one?
    The kind of confidence they displayed from ball one and played with such authority, I would be surprised if they don't continue to be your first choice openers for quite some time. Just my observation though, don't have a crystal ball so can't really predict the future. They surely played like a settled pair and then some more.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kind of confidence they displayed from ball one and played with such authority, I would be surprised if they don't continue to be your first choice openers for quite some time. Just my observation though, don't have a crystal ball so can't really predict the future. They surely played like a settled pair and then some more.
    Dude Masood is highly inconsistent. Heís averaging in the 20s you donít need a crystal ball to know that. One innings does not change the flaws of the opening pair. Abid Ali on the other hand still needs to prove himself in different conditions. Let him perform around the world before you use this non existent crystal ball to determine the future.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude Masood is highly inconsistent. Heís averaging in the 20s you donít need a crystal ball to know that. One innings does not change the flaws of the opening pair. Abid Ali on the other hand still needs to prove himself in different conditions. Let him perform around the world before you use this non existent crystal ball to determine the future.
    No offence and even at the risk of sounding rude I must say, you seem to have higher standards than the team you support when it comes to batting. Shan did decently in SA and Aus, what else you expected from a Pakistani opener? Don't be a harsh critic all the time, you will miss the choti choti khushiyan that life has to offer. Your team did great today, cheer up.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence and even at the risk of sounding rude I must say, you seem to have higher standards than the team you support when it comes to batting.
    Donít understand this comment. Why should anyone expect for anything less than amazing? Why should anyone assume this is all the talent we have? Why even bother supporting a team if the standards of the team are so low? Even your own country men are not satisfied with there team so why should we? If you like supporting a bunch nobodies than thats your right to. But donít come here telling me about what standards I should have. Cause what I want is a strong Pakistan. For that I will always want the best.

Shan did decently in SA and Aus, what else you expected from a Pakistani opener? Don't be a harsh critic all the time, you will miss the choti choti khushiyan that life has to offer. Your team did great today, cheer up.
    Dude in this very Test the guy got out for zero. In one innings he scores a century and some runs. You think I am gonna sit here assuming we got a settled opening pair? Donít kid yourself. Sometimes reality is a lot better than a fairy tale.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you be so sure that he is bound to fail overseas ? He has literally played just 2 Tests and just like a few of our batsmen, he could be a late bloomer and end up with a very respectable record.

He will always be better than the likes of Fakhar, Shehzad, Manzoor and other domestic bullies. You said that you were waiting for him to fail as if we are blessed with legendary openers waiting to get unleashed.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy for him. Doesn't matter about the strength of the opposition, it's not easy for him. Can't wait to watch highlights

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm happy for both of these. Masood is a great prospect, he can lead the line for Pakistan, he needs more confidence and support.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope Abid Ali remains grounded and all this praise does not get to his head, we never know he might have the Akmal germs.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 22nd December 2019 at 13:40.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abid wins MOTM.for both tests, and also for the series. He's also won MOTM in ODI as well,.the one vs SL in September. What a player so far!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post