Iconic moments of the 2010s

From an Australian perspective:
    Siddle Hatrick
    That ball to Cook
    Johnson's entire Ashes in 13-14
    Harris bowling us to victory on one leg vs SA
    Starc to McCullum in WC final
    Clarke hundred after the death of Hughes
    Smith Ashes dominance (2017-18 and 2019)
    And, unfortunately, Sandpapergate

International:
    Stokes WC Final, Headingley
    Grant Elliot, Dhoni Sixes
    Carlos Braithwaite
    Retirement of greats like Sachin, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid etc
    Perera vs SA
    Steyn vs Sachin

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    For Pakistan fans #CT17

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike Hussey vs Saeed Ajmal in the semi final of the world t20 still hurts the most as a Pakistani fan

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    Mike Hussey vs Saeed Ajmal in the semi final of the world t20 still hurts the most as a Pakistani fan
    I would say Mohali tops this, thanks to Misbah.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like all Indian performances. But my personal favorite besides those are MJ's series against ENgland. There is a video that has all 37 wickets of Mitchell Johnson. I have watched several times. Real hostile stuff. Cricket AUstralia originally released a short video of his nasty bowling with the AC/DC thunderstruck music. Looks like AC/DC told them not to use it. They changed it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As one of the comment posted Mitch Johnson ended 5 careers in that series lol

Jonathan trott, Ian bell, Kevin Peterson, Matt prior, Tim bresnan.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    My hands were actually shaking during the 2019 World Cup final despite having no dog in this hunt. There's been too many World Cup finals that've been a one sided anticlimax where the winner was all but confirmed after the first 50 overs.

However this match twisted and turned, and you couldn't call the outcome until the very last ball of the Super Over. In all my years of watching cricket, I haven't seen as many incidents in one match that could've swung the game either way than this final. If the chances of a tied Super Over to decide a World Cup final was slim, what are the chances of a fielder throwing the ball from the deep and catching the middle of the bat of a batsman diving full length to his crease, and the ball ricocheting to the boundary ?

Or who can forget Trent Boult, one of the best fielders in the world, stepping on the boundary just weeks after taking a superb catch on the boundary edge in another hair raising finale in the game in Manchester vs West Indies ? How cruel given how NZ fielded like champions in that final, for luck to go against them on the big stage.

Lord's is generally a reserved place that doesn't display its emotions readily but the atmosphere reached a hysterical frenzy in the final 90 minutes unlike anything at an English ground. One MCC member even had a heart attack. Thank God Pakistan have not been in such circumstances because I've no doubt some of our people would've gone to the hospital given how much more emotional we are.

And I finally come to Ben Stokes. A biopic could be written about his redemption story. Outside England, this guy was one of the most loathed individuals on the field. Prone to anger and disciplinary infractions even before the Bristol punchup, Stokes had much rehabilitation to do. After a lifechanging summer with an equally outstanding knock in the Headingley Test vs Australia weeks later, he has earned our respect. After decades of English choking in finals, Stokes simply refused to accept defeat. He threw whatever ounce of energy left in his cramping, adrenaline fuelled body behind those boundary shots.

What's also not known is that before Jofra Archer bowled the Super Over, he went to up him and said "Whatever happens, this will not define your legacy." Probably a white lie, but given Stokes' own traumatic history in the final over of a World Cup three years earlier in Kolkata, that was a great display of leadership to take the pressure off the youngster.

In the end England won on a technicality and I know that'll stick in the craw for some, but whatever the outcome it would've been a tragedy for either side to lose. That is not only the iconic moment of the 2010s, but one of cricket's iconic moments period.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    My hands were actually shaking during the 2019 World Cup final despite having no dog in this hunt. There's been too many World Cup finals that've been a one sided anticlimax where the winner was all but confirmed after the first 50 overs.

However this match twisted and turned, and you couldn't call the outcome until the very last ball of the Super Over. In all my years of watching cricket, I haven't seen as many incidents in one match that could've swung the game either way than this final. If the chances of a tied Super Over to decide a World Cup final was slim, what are the chances of a fielder throwing the ball from the deep and catching the middle of the bat of a batsman diving full length to his crease, and the ball ricocheting to the boundary ?

Or who can forget Trent Boult, one of the best fielders in the world, stepping on the boundary just weeks after taking a superb catch on the boundary edge in another hair raising finale in the game in Manchester vs West Indies ? How cruel given how NZ fielded like champions in that final, for luck to go against them on the big stage.

Lord's is generally a reserved place that doesn't display its emotions readily but the atmosphere reached a hysterical frenzy in the final 90 minutes unlike anything at an English ground. One MCC member even had a heart attack. Thank God Pakistan have not been in such circumstances because I've no doubt some of our people would've gone to the hospital given how much more emotional we are.

And I finally come to Ben Stokes. A biopic could be written about his redemption story. Outside England, this guy was one of the most loathed individuals on the field. Prone to anger and disciplinary infractions even before the Bristol punchup, Stokes had much rehabilitation to do. After a lifechanging summer with an equally outstanding knock in the Headingley Test vs Australia weeks later, he has earned our respect. After decades of English choking in finals, Stokes simply refused to accept defeat. He threw whatever ounce of energy left in his cramping, adrenaline fuelled body behind those boundary shots.

What's also not known is that before Jofra Archer bowled the Super Over, he went to up him and said "Whatever happens, this will not define your legacy." Probably a white lie, but given Stokes' own traumatic history in the final over of a World Cup three years earlier in Kolkata, that was a great display of leadership to take the pressure off the youngster.

In the end England won on a technicality and I know that'll stick in the craw for some, but whatever the outcome it would've been a tragedy for either side to lose. That is not only the iconic moment of the 2010s, but one of cricket's iconic moments period.
    POTW for me. Excellent post Markhor.

I actually didn't know that one of the MCC members had a heart attack. Not surprised though.

I would love to see a film about Ben Stokes' redemption journey.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For majority of Indians it will be the image of Dhoni hitting a six to win the world cup or Kohli carrying SRT on his shoulders during victory lap.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    For majority of Indians it will be the image of Dhoni hitting a six to win the world cup or Kohli carrying SRT on his shoulders during victory lap.
    Ofcourse the image of Preity zinta waving the flag is still fresh in my memory !!

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

Very well written, it was a nice read POTW stuff

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bell, Prior and Trott still have sleepless nights to this day, probably the last bit of real dangerous fast bowling we will see. Johnson was something else in the ashes.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post

KP actually played ok in that series from what I remember and the end came as a result of back room issues.

Ian Bell actually played on, if I am not mistaken so did Bresnan.

Trott's was the only career shattered by Johnson as he could never reclaim his confidence, although there were also off field issues with his life at the time.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ab De Villiers fastest century remains an iconic moment and then his unbelievable 162 vs WI in the 2015 World Cup. Hard to believe that them innings were a month apart.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The 2017 CT win.

Englandís win in India was huge, considering Indiaís hegemony at home.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head:

1. A pair of no balls at Lord's
    2. England bowling out Australia for less than a hundred at the MCG on Boxing Day, to then winning the Ashes in Australia after 24 years
    3. Kevin Pietersen's hundred at Headingley in the midst of the texting scandal
    4. England winning a series away in India
    5. Mitchell Johnson blowing away England and then South Africa with the kind of hostile pace bowling not seen since the 80s
    6. Tendulkar's farewell series
    7. Phillip Hughes
    8. Broad taking 8/15 at Trent Bridge to bowl Australia out for 60
    9. Brendon McCullum scoring the fastest hundred in his farewell match on a mad day in Christchurch
    10. Misbah scoring a hundred and Yasir Shah taking 10 wickets at Lord's, culminating in a thrilling drawn series which transiently led to Pakistan being officially ranked the number 1 test team for the first time in living memory
    11. Misbah and Younis's farewell series in the Caribbean
    12. Braithwaite and Hope leading the West Indies to chase down 322 against the odds at Headingley
    13. Sandpaper
    14. Kohli and Shastri leading India to an away series win in Australia
    15. Headingley 2019
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 3rd January 2020 at 06:56.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, 2 things stood out during last decade from Indian point of view,

1) Tendulkar's retirement,
    2) Dhoni's iconic six to finish it off...

Not sure, which one makes me more nostalgic. Still having religiously followed Tendulkar from the game he smashed Qadir for 3 6s in an over and announced his arrival on international scene, I think I'll go with the former.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post

Graeme Swann

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Too many good moments to chose. I'd rather list my worst moments in the last decade -

1. Test series whitewash against England and Australia.

2. Test series loss to England at home.

2. SF loses in the 2015 and 2019 World Cups.

4. Loss in the Champions Trophy Final of 2017.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    Choro, bhai .... that was a World T20. Learn to take T20 cricket as nothing but soap opera.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Won the series in SA for his team despite having no knees. Rhyno at Capetown is probably the single most heroic performance I've seen live.