Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Babar Azam to rejoin Somerset for 2020 season from May 28th to July 3rd (T20 Blast and four-day)

BABAR AZAM IS BACK!

One of the biggest stars in world cricket will be returning to Somerset next season.

Babar Azam made a huge impact during his time at the Cooper Associates County Ground in 2019 and Somerset Members and supporters will have the opportunity to see him again in 2020, subject to the Club obtaining the relevant visa and a No Objection Certificate from Pakistan Cricket.

The 25-year-old was the leading run scorer in the 2019 Vitality Blast, amassing an incredible 578 runs at an average of 52.54. He struck a sublime 102 not out at the Ageas Bowl and boasted an impressive tournament strike rate of 149.35.

His prowess with the bat saw him score one century and four half centuries from his 13 innings. He also struck 60 fours and 14 sixes during the competition.

He is rated as the number one IT20 batsman in the world by the ICC and his impressive performances throughout the summer saw him named as Pakistan’s IT20 Captain.

Babar Azam will be available for selection for the Vitality Blast between May 28th and July 3rd. He will also be eligible for Somerset’s County Championship matches during that time.

Somerset Director of Cricket, Andy Hurry said: “Babar Azam is the best IT20 batsman in the world and his return will be a major boost for us. He played a significant role for us in the Vitality Blast last year and his stats speak for themselves.

“He made a number of match winning contributions and he fitted seamlessly into the dressing room. You can’t ask more from your overseas players than that.

“His batting is so easy on the eye and he is so hungry to evolve his game. He will add significant value to the team, both with his batting and leadership.”

“He was extremely popular with our Members and supporters but also with our playing squad. He is a truly world class talent and we look forward to working with him again in 2020 in both the Vitality Blast and the County Championship.”

Babar Azam said: “I really enjoyed my time at Somerset, and I look forward to coming back next year. Somerset has a very good squad and the supporters made me feel very welcome. Hopefully I can help the Club reach the knock-out stages of the Vitality Blast and contribute to winning matches in the County Championship.”

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/n...-azam-is-back/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Somerset are scheduled to play 12 T20 Blast and 2 County Championship games during this period.

He probably isn't joining earlier as Ramadan ends ~24th May. Pakistan's first ODI against Netherlands is on 4th July.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I wish he would have played more county matches, but good for Babur he will learn more.

جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some serious praise for Babar.
    The county matches are only 2 but will be good preparation ahead of our series vs England.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhump View Post
    I wish he would have played more county matches, but good for Babur he will learn more.
    Don't we have a Test series in England? Could be because of that he is only there for a few matches rather than the whole season.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    So he’ll be coming into the test series off a diet of T20 cricket?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Don't we have a Test series in England? Could be because of that he is only there for a few matches rather than the whole season.
    There are 7 more County Championship matches earlier in the season but most of them are during Ramadan otherwise I think he might've joined earlier.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great news. He upped his game after last season so this will only help him further.

I hope he rejoins them for the remaining two championship games after Pakistan's tour ends on Sept 2nd.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by omairsiddiqui View Post
    Great news. He upped his game after last season so this will only help him further.

I hope he rejoins them for the remaining two championship games after Pakistan's tour ends on Sept 2nd.
    Asia Cup is scheduled for mid-September.

Barely any gaps in Pakistan's schedule for the next 10 months starting July.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regardless how many games he will play, it still a great move for him and Somerset.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    So he’ll be coming into the test series off a diet of T20 cricket?
    Pro cricketers should have no trouble switching gears.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    So they have sacked Azhar Ali after he averaged just 26 last year in First Class cricket?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will be playing with Philander.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    So they have sacked Azhar Ali after he averaged just 26 last year in First Class cricket?
    No sacking. Azhar's contract was only for the 2019 season.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They're lucky to have him.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.