Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valtteri Bottas emerged on top to take Eifel GP pole position after a tense battle with Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen.

Name:  amir2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  39.6 KB

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton equals Michael Schumacher's 91 race wins at Eifel F1 GP

Lewis Hamilton equalled Michael Schumacher’s record of 91 Formula One race wins with victory at the Nürburgring on Sunday.

The Eifel Grand Prix, which took place at the circuit which sits just 50 miles from the German’s home, had seen Hamilton’s Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas start from pole position, but the British driver took the initiative on lap 13, capitalising as Bottas locked up into turn one, and pulled clear to secure his seventh win of the season.

Rounding off the podium was Max Verstappen in second and Daniel Ricciardo in third. Bottas was forced to retire on lap 20 due to a power unit failure in his car.

In the run-up to the race Hamilton had played down the significance of matching Schumacher’s career tally, but with the outright record now surely a formality this season, and the yawning gulf of 38 race victories to the third-placed driver on the all-time list, Sebastian Vettel, Hamilton’s achievement is both significant and looks secure long beyond his days in the cockpit.

Schumacher had been in sole possession of the record since 2 September 2001, when victory at the Belgian Grand Prix for Ferrari took him to 52 wins, breaking the record of Alain Prost that had stood from 1993.

As well as the outright record of race wins, Hamilton’s chances of matching Schumacher’s seven F1 drivers’ championship titles – a record the Mercedes driver says he is much more interested in – has improved once more, stretching his lead over Bottas.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...at-eifel-f1-gp

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton equals Michael Schumacher F1 wins record at Eifel GP

Lewis Hamilton has equalled Michael Schumacher's Formula 1 wins record after securing a typically commanding victory in an unreliability-packed Eifel GP ahead of Max Verstappen.

Hamilton now has 91 wins - and has also taken a giant step towards Schumacher's record total of seven world championships after closest 2020 rival and Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas' race retirement.

"When you grow up watching someone, you idolise them for what they're able to do, year on year and race on race," said an emotional Hamilton, who was handed one of Schumacher's helmets by son Mick after the race.

"Seeing his dominance for so long, I don't think anyone - and especially me - thought I'd be anywhere near Michael's records. It's an incredible honour."

Bottas started on pole but was overtaken by Hamilton on Lap 13, and shortly after stopped with an engine issue. Hamilton, now 70 points clear in the title standings, then dominated what was a two-horse race between himself and the ever-competitive Verstappen in the Red Bull, despite a late Safety Car which reignited the Nurburgring's F1 return.

Daniel Ricciardo sealed a brilliant podium for Renault in third - his first in F1 since Monaco 2018 and the team's first since Malaysia 2007 - holding off a valiant Sergio Perez charge in the Racing Point.

Perez wasn't the only Racing Point driver to shine on Sunday, with late stand-in Nico Hulkenberg rising from 20th on the grid to eighth in the race, behind Carlos Sainz, Pierre Gasly and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc.

Romain Grosjean sealed his first points in over a year for Haas, ahead of Antonio Giovinazzi, who denied a struggling Sebastian Vettel a top-10 finish.

Bottas was one of five drivers not to finish the race, along with George Russell, Esteban Ocon, Alex Albon and Lando Norris, whose unfortunate stoppage led to the Safety Car.

Eifel GP Race Result, top 10:

1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
    2. Max Verstappen, Red Bull
    3. Daniel Ricciardo, Renault
    4. Sergio Perez, Racing Point
    5. Carlos Sainz, McLaren
    6. Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri
    7. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
    8. Nico Hulkenberg, Racing Point
    9. Romain Grosjean, Haas
    10. Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...rd-at-eifel-gp

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton is 'not done yet' after equalling Michael Schumacher's 91 race wins

Lewis Hamilton says it will take him time to come to terms with the momentous achievement that came with winning Sunday's Eifel Grand Prix - equalling Michael Schumacher's all-time record of Formula 1 victories.

"It's definitely not just another win," the Mercedes driver said, as he sat down for his final media engagement of the day, after finishing his debrief with his team.

"I'm really just over this past hour or so trying to contemplate and realise what it is we have done and what I have been able to achieve. And I would say for the next couple of days that is where my mind is going to be.

"Just wow. It is hard to find the right words and be able to compute exactly, but it is definitely a special one."

Hamilton's 91st career victory equalled a record some felt might never be broken. He will move well beyond it before this season is over.

He is also now not very many races at all away from equalling another - Schumacher's equally monumental accomplishment, of seven world championships. Hamilton's victory at the Nurburgring put him 69 points clear of team-mate Valtteri Bottas, with just 156 still available.

As Hamilton spoke on Sunday, he tried to explain what it all meant to him at the same time as trying to make sense of it for himself.

He spoke of being "humbled" by the moment, "proud" of the work he had done with Mercedes these last eight years, and the "honour" he felt at being presented with one of Schumacher's old helmets by the German's son Mick, himself poised to enter F1 before long.

Hamilton described Michael Schumacher as "an icon and a legend of the sport". He reflected on the "journey" that had got him to where he is, and the people who had helped him along the way - particularly his father, Anthony, and Mercedes and McLaren, who backed him from the age of 13, long before it was clear he could become what he has.

It was left to the two men on the podium with him at the end of the race, Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo, to put some meaning to Hamilton's achievement.

"Ninety-one wins - everyone thought that was almost impossible to reach," Verstappen said. "So to be there now is incredible and I am pretty sure there will be some more victories coming his way and probably also championships. Just very impressive. And hard to beat."

"Tip of the hat, at the very least," Ricciardo said. "Ninety-one races is nearly five years' worth of races. That gives perspective on how much success Lewis has now had. Michael as well.

"To do it week in, week out as well, and year on year - his career has been well over a decade - and to keep coming back and to show that level of consistency at the front is not easy.

"We understand that. You can have the package and car to do it but doing it every weekend when the lights go out is easier said than done. So, big respect."

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54503046

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton's dad hails 'incredible' Formula 1 record

Lewis Hamilton's father said his son equalling the all-time record for career Formula 1 victories was "a dream beyond anything we could have imagined".

The Mercedes driver's Eifel Grand Prix win was the 91st of his career, matching Michael Schumacher's record.

Schumacher suffered a severe brain injury in a skiing accident in 2013 - his son Mick presented Hamilton with one of his father's old helmets to recognise the Briton's achievement.

Anthony Hamilton said: "It was tinged with a bit of sadness because we spent many, many years watching Michael win numerous races and titles and here we are, emulating the great Michael Schumacher. And to have his son present Lewis with that helmet was just a very humbling experience."
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...herts-54514986.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fernando Alonso 'excited' and sure Renault can maintain F1 form

Renault say incoming two-time F1 world champion Fernando Alonso is "excited" about the team's prospects for 2021 after their recent upturn in form, with the Spaniard also sure they can be a force on the grid.

The French outfit ended a near decade-long wait for a podium in Sunday's Eifel GP as Daniel Ricciardo finished third - the latest strong result in a 2020 campaign - and their new-found momentum comes at an ideal time, with Alonso rejoining the team next season after 10 years away.

Eyebrows were raised when Alonso signed and the driver himself admitted that he was mainly targeting the next big rules change in 2022, but he may well be challenging towards the front earlier than expected.

"I think he wasn't expecting that much initially for 2021," team boss Cyril Abiteboul told Sky F1. "But the more things are progressing through this season and improving, I think he is excited.

"But we're still trying to manage expectations between '21 and '22."

Alonso, last on the grid with McLaren in 2018, stepped up his F1 comeback on Tuesday by testing Renault's 2020 car - which he described as "amazing". And he has understandably been keeping a keen eye on their progress.

"I watch every race," Alonso, who won his two titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, said. "I'm in the weekend even from a distance. I follow every lap. The podium was very well deserved, finally. I'm so happy for everyone."

He added: "I know what the team is capable of and I know the prospects for the future are good. The podium is a thing that had to happen. Most important thing is to follow the trend that we see now, keep the momentum into next year, especially for 2022, and I think we know how to do it."

Ricciardo is currently fourth in the drivers' standings for Renault, behind only Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas and Max Verstappen, while the team are currently fifth but only six points off third-placed Racing Point.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...intain-f1-form

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercedes on early 2021 car development shift as F1 titles loom

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has revealed they stopped focusing on developing their dominant 2020 car "a long time ago".

The team's current car, the W11, has proved one of its most consistent and dominant during its unprecedented run of success in the turbo-hybrid era, with only victories at a hot Silverstone and an unpredictable Monza escaping them in the shortened season's first 11 rounds.

But Mercedes' advantage over an improving Red Bull in particular has closed in recent events and Max Verstappen got within three-tenths of pole position for the first time this season at last week's Eifel GP.

"We finished them a long time ago," said Wolff when asked about 2020 upgrades.

"That has always been in the past what we looked at. It's a very thoroughly thought-through decision because not in every championship you can afford to close the book early.

"But the rules change quite a lot for next year and, in that respect, we decided to, like in the previous years, switch to next year's car."

With Red Bull closing down the gap, Wolff added: "This is why you can see the shift in performance between the teams.

"We are always having a very strong start and middle of the season and then whoever continues to develop is strong at the end."

Although F1 teams must carry over their 2020 chassis and suspension to next season on cost-saving grounds, there is still scope for some performance development, while floor changes are being mandated in a bid to reduce downforce.

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...f1-titles-loom

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vietnam Grand Prix: Organisers cancel race due to coronavirus pandemic

Organisers of the Vietnam Grand Prix have confirmed the cancellation of the country's first ever Formula One race due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Grand Prix was originally scheduled for April, but had been postponed because of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Hanoi city authorities had said in July they hoped the race could be run in November.

But Formula One announced a revised end to the season in August, without the planned races in China and Vietnam.

The Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation said on Friday: "This was a very difficult decision for all of us to make but ultimately it was the only solution after carefully reviewing all safety criteria as well as the efficiency under current conditions."

Vietnam has recorded more than 1,110 coronavirus infections, with 35 deaths, according to the country's health ministry data.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54566243

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance Stroll: Racing Point driver tested positive for coronavirus after Eifel Grand Prix

Racing Point driver Lance Stroll says he tested positive for coronavirus after the Eifel Grand Prix weekend.

The Canadian - who did not race - was unwell and displayed a number of Covid-19 symptoms at the Nurburgring race but was not tested over the weekend.

Stroll said his symptoms were "pretty mild" and he went home on the morning of the 11 October race and took a test.

He had another test on Monday, before this weekend's Portuguese Grand Prix, and returned a negative result.

"I feel in great shape and I can't wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal," he added on social media.

Racing Point did not report Stroll's illness at the Eifel Grand Prix to governing body the FIA as a potential Covid case.

A spokesman for the FIA said it would not be taking any further action because "we don't feel that there has been any breach of the (Covid) code".

The FIA's code of protocols for dealing with Covid-19 says participants must "comply with the instructions of his/her Stakeholder (team) and the Covid-19 Delegate" if "he/she tests positive for the Covid-19 virus or he/she starts to suffer from any Covid-19 symptoms".

The situation poses a number of uncomfortable questions for bosses at the Racing Point team, which is owned by Stroll's father, the Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

Team principal Otmar Szafnauer said at the Eifel Grand Prix that he was "confident" Stroll did not have coronavirus, despite having "flu-like symptoms", an upset stomach and was "just not well in himself and couldn't exercise".

Stroll was tested on the Tuesday before the race weekend but not while in Germany.

BBC Sport pressed Szafnauer on the question of why he had not been tested again despite the fact that his symptoms were among those known to be potential indicators of coronavirus.

Szafnauer replied that Stroll had had some of the symptoms over the period between the Russian and Eifel Grands Prix but had tested negative "multiple times".

He added that Stroll "doesn't have classic Covid-19 symptoms", even though fever, fatigue and diarrhoea are listed as three possible symptoms of Covid-19 on the website of the US government's Centre for Disease Control.

The team did not immediately respond to BBC Sport's requests for comment on Wednesday.

Stroll's statement said: "I arrived at the Nurburgring after testing negative in the normal pre-race tests.

"On Saturday morning, I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed FIA (Covid) protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

"I wasn't fit to race, so I went home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather, I took a Covid test on Sunday evening.

"The next day, the results came back positive, so I stayed at home isolating for the next 10 days."

He said that he was now "feeling 100%".

Stroll is the second Racing Point driver to contract Covid-19 this year. His team-mate Sergio Perez was forced to miss the two races at Silverstone in the summer after catching the virus following a trip home to Mexico to see his mother.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54626704

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nico Rosberg to launch own Extreme E team

Former Formula 1 world champion Nico Rosberg is putting his own team in the upcoming Extreme E racing series.

The off-road series has attracted several leading names, including six-time F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton.

Rosberg Extreme Racing is the ninth team to sign up to race in five remote locations across the world to raise awareness of climate change.

Extreme E will be broadcast live across the BBC, including on iPlayer and the Sport website.

Rosberg is famed for his battles with Hamilton across their time together as team-mates for Mercedes from 2013 to 2016, part of a period where the team have dominated F1.

The childhood friends are remembered for having one of the most intense intra-team rivalries in the sport, which included several on-track collisions, with Hamilton winning titles on 2014 and 2015 before Rosberg took his one championship in 2016.

"The series represents an amazing opportunity to inspire action in the fight against climate change - the single biggest threat to our planet today," said Rosberg.

"Since retiring from F1 I have dedicated my career to sustainable technologies, so to be able to combine these endeavours with my passion for racing is incredibly fulfilling."

The all-electric series, which will race the four-wheel drive Odyssey 21 E-SUV, is the first time the pair will come head to head again - this time as team leaders, as both have taken a keen interest in sustainability within motorsport and beyond.

The series, set to get under way in February 2021, will visit territories - arctic, desert, rainforest, glacier and coastal - which have been affected by climate change, such as Greenland and Brazil's Amazon region.

It will also focus on diversity in motorsport - requiring teams to field one male and one female driver for races - reflecting Hamilton's concerns of a lack of diversity in the sport when he launched his own diversity commission in June this year.

Since retiring from Formula 1, Rosberg has invested in numerous successful sustainability start-ups and in 2019, he founded the Greentech Festival which showcases green technologies.

Alejandro Agag, Extreme E Founder and CEO, said: "We are ecstatic. We have been talking about this project for many months and we are thrilled he has chosen Extreme E for his formal return to motorsport.

"There is clearly a great synergy between Nico's endeavours in the sustainability field and the aims of Extreme E so his team is a hugely welcomed addition to the series."

Other teams in the series include London-based Veloce Racing, who have F1 design legend Adrian Newey as part of their team.

Another high-profile driver who has taken an interest is Hamilton's current Mercedes F1 team-mate Valtteri Bottas, who took part in a recent testing session for the car, alongside Britain's Billy Monger.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/54637660

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen to leave Haas after 2020 season

Drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen will both leave Haas at the end of the 2020 season.

France's Grosjean, 34, has been with Haas since the team entered Formula 1 in 2016 while Dane Magnussen, 28, moved from Renault in 2017.

Grosjean is 18th in the drivers' championship with two points and Magnussen is 19th having scored one.

It means Haas, currently ninth in the constructors' standings, will have an entirely new driver line-up for 2021.

Grosjean said team owner Gene Haas told him the move was for financial reasons.

"I knew probably one of us would go out because the financial situation with Covid has made life difficult for companies around the world," Grosjean said.

"But when I spoke to Gene, he said: 'For financial reasons, I need both of you out.'"

Grosjean has scored 110 points in 92 races for Haas - a fourth-placed finish at the 2018 Austrian Grand Prix his best result.

Magnussen has raced 73 times for the team, winning 96 points.

In 2018 the team achieved their best finish in the constructors' championship by coming fifth.

Magnussen said he had had a "great time" with the team and will announce plans for the future "in due course".

Grosjean did not give details on his future plans but wished the team the best for the future.

"I have learned a lot, improved to be a better driver as well as a better man, "said Grosjean, whose first points of the season came at the Eifel Grand Prix on 11 October.

Team principal Guenther Steiner said: "I want to extend my thanks to both Romain and Kevin for their hard work and commitment to Haas F1 team over the past few seasons. We have a lot of good memories together."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54643160

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton has expressed "surprise" with the FIA's appointment of Vitaly Petrov as a steward at this weekend's Portuguese GP in the wake of controversial comments made by the former F1 driver.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valtteri Bottas tops Portuguese GP first practice

Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen carried on the trend of 2020 in leading the field in first practice at the Portuguese Grand Prix.

On F1's first visit to the undulating Autodromo do Algarve, Bottas was 0.339 seconds ahead of Hamilton.

Verstappen was 0.781secs off the pace, and narrowly ahead of Ferrari's Charles Leclerc in fourth.

Both Verstappen and Leclerc had spins early in the session as they learned the demanding new track at Portimao.

Red Bull's Alexander Albon was fifth fastest, ahead of McLaren's Carlos Sainz, Racing Point's Sergio Perez and Alfa Romeo's Kimi Raikkonen.

Renault's Daniel Ricciardo and Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly completed the top 10, ahead of Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and McLaren's Lando Norris.

There were spins as well for Raikkonen, Haas driver Romain Grosjean, Alpha Tauri's Daniil Kvyat and Williams' Nicholas Latifi.

There was a dash of light rain during the session, but nothing to disturb the drivers on a track many approached with high anticipation.

Portimao, which is hosting Portugal's first F1 race since Estoril in 1996, has been likened to a rollercoaster for its dramatic changes of elevation, which are particularly notable in the the second half of the lap.

Although Mercedes were comfortably clear of the field, Bottas and Hamilton set their fastest times on the medium tyre, while Verstappen, Leclerc and Albon were on the hard.

Red Bull have been slowly closing in on Mercedes over the second half of the season, following the world champions' decision to end development on this year's car and focus on their 2021 design as a result of the huge performance advantage they showed through the first half of the season.

Ferrari have the latest in a series of aerodynamic upgrades this weekend, adding a redesigned floor to the frontal aerodynamic changes around the front wing and nose that they have introduced over the last couple of grands prix.

Renault's Esteban Ocon suffered an engine problem right at the end of the session.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54661456

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valtteri Bottas on top in P3 but Max Verstappen joins Portugal pole fight

Valtteri Bottas completed a Portuguese GP hat-trick ahead of F1's debut Portimao qualifying by setting the pace in final practice ahead of Lewis Hamilton, but Max Verstappen also looks to be a genuine pole contender.

It was a frenetic final hour of practice in the Algarve sunshine after a heavily disrupted Friday, and there were different strategies throughout as well as plenty of errors, with championship leader Hamilton finding the gravel.

Bottas finished the session 0.026s ahead of his Mercedes team-mate, following up his fastest times in P1 and P2 ahead of qualifying at 2pm on Sky F1 - when he will be looking to seal his second consecutive F1 2020 pole.

But Verstappen is set to be a threat for Red Bull, who have closed in on Mercedes in recent weeks.

The Dutchman finished just a tenth of a second slower than the Mercedes, and set his fastest time on the slower medium tyre compared to the softs.

He also momentarily went quickest of all in the session, before having his time deleted for one of many track limits infringements.

Pierre Gasly, whose Friday was cut short after an AlphaTauri fire, enjoyed a superb session too, just 0.276s off Bottas' leading time. He was just ahead of Alex Albon, the Red Bull driver who, like Verstappen, was on mediums.

Charles Leclerc, meanwhile, continued his strong start to the weekend for Ferrari - finishing sixth despite a spin after back-to-back P4s on Friday - although team-mate Sebastian Vettel was only 11th.

But the midfield pecking order is more difficult to predict than ever.

Gasly's time would have come as a shock to many teams, including McLaren who have made good progress this weekend, with both Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris in the P3 top-10 ahead of qualifying.

Sergio Perez was Racing Point's lead car in eighth, although Lance Stroll was down in 16th, while Renault's in-form Daniel Ricciardo was 14th after having a DRS issue in the session.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ins-pole-fight

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton snatched pole position for the Portuguese Grand Prix from team-mate Valtteri Bottas in a thrilling end to an unusual qualifying.

Hamilton and Bottas ran theoretically slower medium tyres to set their times and a key strategy call by the Briton could have made the difference.

Hamilton chose to do two hot laps at the climax to Bottas' one, and the lead swapped between them as it played out.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen took third, from Charles Leclerc's Ferrari.

Hamilton ended up beating Bottas by 0.101 seconds at the end of an unpredictable and exciting session. It was the 97th pole position of the world champion's career.

Portuguese Grand Prix full qualifying results
    How did Hamilton nick it?
    Bottas had appeared to have the edge on Hamilton through the weekend, but as so often the six-time champion came good at the end when it mattered.

In the final session, the Mercedes drivers ran the soft tyres at the start of final qualifying, with Bottas going fastest, and then switching to the mediums at the end.

Bottas said he chose to do one timed lap at the end of the session, while Hamilton picked two, with a cool-down in between.

Hamilton set the pace on his first lap, before Bottas re-took first with his single lap, and then Hamilton leapfrogged back ahead with the last lap of the session.

"In the end, I should have gone for two," a rueful Bottas said afterwards.

Verstappen was less than 0.2secs off pole in the Red Bull, a promising position for him, while Leclerc was just 0.186secs behind the Red Bull with aerodynamic upgrades on his improved Ferrari.

Hamilton said: "We have a great car but you have to drive the nuts off it to pull out a lap. Valtteri has been so quick and I have been digging and digging to try to find the extra time.

"I chose to do three laps to have a stab at beating his time. He chose one and I thought: 'This could provide me with an opportunity,' and it worked."

Leclerc's team-mate Sebastian Vettel was down in 15th place, 0.552secs off the Monegasque in second qualifying, which the German did not progress beyond.

"It's not just getting beaten," Vettel said. "It is almost like a different league... I try everything I can. The laps I am satisfied with are still too slow. I try to bring the best out of myself and the car. I can't do more than that."

Leclerc is also starting the race on the medium tyre, having used it to go through Q2, the same strategy choice as Mercedes at the front.

Behind Leclerc, Racing Point's Sergio Perez was fifth, ahead of the second Red Bull of Alex Albon, the McLarens of Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, Pierre Gasly's Alpha Tauri and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo, who did not take part in Q3 after damaging his rear wing with a light crash at the end of the second session.

George Russell starts an impressive 14th in the Williams, keeping up his record of never having been out-qualified by a team-mate in F1.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton exclusive: F1 long-term future undecided but he has 2021 'plan'

Lewis Hamilton has opened up on his Formula 1 future in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, admitting he is unsure how much longer he will remain in the sport but that he "plans to be" on the 2021 grid.

Hamilton, despite his seemingly unstoppable march to F1 records in 2020, has still yet to sign on with Mercedes and is out of contract at the end of the season - although has said for many months he has no plans to leave.

But in a candid discussion with Sky Sports News' Mike Wedderburn ahead of the Portuguese GP, Hamilton claimed he is still undecided on his long-term future.

"I don't think I'm at my peak," Hamilton said. "I'm in a good area, for sure.

"I still want to continue to race but I don't know how much longer it will be. It's definitely not going to be a long time before I stop, so this is a period of time where I've got to slowly work out what the future holds.

"It's bright, whatever I decide to do, but it also has to be aligned with the times, it has to be aligned with my values and it has to be aligned with what the team is planning to do."

Hamilton, whose influential team boss Toto Wolff is also considering his future plans, adds: "All I can say is that I plan to be here next year."

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...-has-2021-plan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton has overtaken Michael Schumacher's record after winning his 92nd Grand Prix.

"You are re-writing the history books," Mercedes told Hamilton on the team radio.

The British star, who equalled Schumacher's 91 wins in the previous race at the Nurburgring in Germany, took the chequered flag in Portugal 25.592 seconds ahead of second-placed team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

Dutch driver Max Verstappen was third for Red Bull.

Hamilton said he could "never have dreamed of being where I am today".

"I can't find the words at the moment," he said, adding that it is "going to take some time to fully sink in".

Hamilton's latest victory - plus a bonus point for fastest lap - stretches his lead over Bottas in the championship table to 77 points with only five races remaining.

"I owe it all to these guys here and back at the factory," he said.

"It's just been such a privilege working with them."

Hamilton, whose father Anthony was at the circuit in the Algarve to see his triumph, reported cramp in his right calf muscle with seven laps to go but went on to set a series of fastest laps.

Speaking after his eighth win of the season and the 71st since joining Mercedes, he said: "I didn't have a magic ball when I chose to come to this team and partner with great people, but here I am and what I can tell you is I'm trying to make the most of it every single day.

"I was still pushing flat out coming across the line."

Sir Jackie Stewart, who won three drivers' championships, congratulated Hamilton on his "remarkable success".

Sir Jackie added: "I take my hat off to him for his considerable achievements and I wish him well for his continuing career."
    https://news.sky.com/story/lewis-ham...x-win-12114283

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lando Norris angry with Lance Stroll after crash at Portuguese GP

Lando Norris has delivered a scathing assessment of Lance Stroll after their coming together at the Portuguese GP, insisting the Racing Point driver "crashes a lot" and vowing to "stay away" from him in future races.

Stroll and Norris made contact on Lap 17 when the Canadian attempted a risky move around the outside into Turn One, turning into his midfield rival and spinning off the track. He received a five-second penalty for the incident, and later picked up another for track limits before retiring the car.

Norris also picked up damage, and eventually finished 13th and outside the points in the McLaren. The young Briton criticised Stroll, who also collided into Verstappen at the same corner during Friday practice at Portimao, and claimed he "doesn't learn from anything he does".

"I don't know what he was doing really," said Norris. "He went to the left which I was quite surprised by, when he very easily could have gone to the inside. I was easily halfway alongside and he just turned in.

"He obviously didn't learn from Friday but he doesn't seem to learn from anything he does. It happens a lot with him, so I just need to stay away."

A frustrated Norris added: "It wasn't a nice battle. I don't know what I'm meant to say... he crashes a lot.

"I don't know if he can't see properly in the right side or something. He ruined his own race, he ruined my race, it was his fault."

Norris believes McLaren could have scored "good points" on Sunday - Carlos Sainz was sixth in the other car - and insisted Stroll "didn't need to risk what he did" as he was "much quicker" in what was a battle for seventh.

"I don't know why he tried to be a hero," he stated.

Speaking to Sky F1 immediately after his race DNF, Stroll said he hadn't seen the replay but that he felt Norris' positioning was "a bit awkward". Team boss Otmar Szafnauer also felt Stroll's penalty was harsh.

"I just went around the outside," said Stroll. "It was a bit awkward as he was kind of in the middle of the track and I wasn't sure if he was going to go to the inside or stay on the line."

He continued: "I had to make a split-second decision and I was on the outside over the kerb. From there I just turned into the corner and I guess there wasn't enough room for both of us, so that was that."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36...-portuguese-gp

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lando Norris apologises for 'stupid' comments about F1 rivals

Lando Norris has issued an apology over recent comments in interviews he admits were "stupid and careless" and that did not show "the respect I should have to certain people".

Although the McLaren driver did not refer to which specific comments he was referring, they are likely to have been ones about Lance Stroll and Lewis Hamilton made after Sunday's Portuguese GP.

A frustrated Norris was heavily critical of Stroll in the immediate aftermath of the race about the lap-17 collision between the two drivers, which earned his Racing Point rival a five-second time penalty from stewards. He claimed that Stroll "doesn't learn from anything he does".

In another interview, Norris also seemed to play down Hamilton's achievement of winning a record 92 races by saying that while he was happy for his countryman "he's in a car which should win every race, basically. He has to beat one or two other drivers, that's it".

But in an apology issued on Twitter on Tuesday, Norris wrote: "I've been stupid and careless with some things I've said lately in media and interviews, and haven't shown the respect I should have to certain people.

"I'm not that kind of person, so know I should apologise to them but also everyone reading/listening. Sorry."

Norris finished outside the points at Portimao after being forced to pit for repairs after the Turn-One clash with Stroll amid a fight for seventh place, having run as high as four in the early stages after both McLarens made storming starts.

The 20-year-old, who was forced out of the previous race when running well at the Nurburgring due to power unit problems, is on a run of three grands prix without points and lost ground in the multi-driver fight for fourth in the championship.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36...bout-f1-rivals

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alfa Romeo name to remain in Formula 1 for 2021 season after Sauber deal extended

The Alfa Romeo name will remain in Formula 1 next season after the Italian car company extended its deal with the Sauber team by one year.

Alfa has had a commercial arrangement with the Swiss team since 2018, when the famous brand returned to F1 for the first time since 1987.

The team have not confirmed their driver line-up but Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi are set to stay on.

An announcement on Raikkonen and Giovinazzi is expected soon.

Alfa Romeo are eighth in the constructors' championship with five races remaining in 2020 and have spent the majority of the season battling with Williams and Haas at the back of the grid.

Team principal Frederic Vasseur said: "Both parties always intended for this relationship to bear fruit in the long term: we have laid some solid foundations in the last three season and we aim to reap the rewards of this work in 2021 and beyond."

Alfa and Sauber are in talks about extending their partnership into the period beyond 2021 but no agreement has yet been reached.

On the driver front, Sauber decided to keep Raikkonen at the age of 41 because the 2007 world champion continues to perform well and adds profile to the team.

Ferrari has the right to decide the driver in the team's second seat as part of its engine partnership with them and sources indicate Giovinazzi will remain in his position.

The Italian has had an up-and-down season, with strong performances interspersed with the odd high-profile error, but Ferrari believe their reserve driver has done enough to justify another year.

Ferrari's decision means Mick Schumacher, a member of their driver academy who is leading the Formula 2 championship with two races to go, is poised to make his F1 debut next year with Haas.

The second seat at Haas is tipped to go to Russian Nikita Mazepin, a front-runner in F2, whose father, the billionaire businessman Dmitry Mazepin, will bring significant funding to the team through his chemicals company.
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54731592.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valtteri Bottas snatches Imola F1 pole from Lewis Hamilton

Valtteri Bottas secured his fourth pole position of the season by edging championship leader Lewis Hamilton with his final qualifying lap for the Emilia-Romagna GP, while Pierre Gasly also starred for AlphaTauri.

Hamilton was ahead of Bottas for much of the condensed first day of Imola's Formula 1 return but, turning the tables on his team-mate who has dominated 2020, the Finn out-paced Hamilton by 0.097s at the end of Q3 to win what was an exclusive Mercedes battle.

Max Verstappen survived an engine scare in Q2 to join the pole fight, but was essentially never a factor and finished a distant third - half a second off the pace in the Red Bull.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...lewis-hamilton

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton wins Emilia Romagna GP as Mercedes win constructors' title

Lewis Hamilton moved to the brink of a seventh world title with victory in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

A one-two for Mercedes with Valtteri Bottas second sealed a record seventh consecutive constructors' championship.

In the drivers' title chase, Hamilton is 85 points clear of Bottas, who was promoted to second when Red Bull's Max Verstappen suffered a puncture.

Hamilton will win the title at the next race as long as Bottas does not out-score him by more than seven points.

Williams driver George Russell was on target to score his first F1 points but the Briton crashed while trying to warm his tyres behind the safety car.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54770864

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russell was distraught and rightly so. What a way to throw away your first points. The guy is cursed

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Saudi Arabia will join the Formula 1 calendar with a night race in the 2021 season.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saudi Arabia rejects criticism as debut race in 2021 confirmed

Saudi Arabia has rejected criticism after it was confirmed it would host its first Formula 1 race in 2021.

The Arab kingdom will make its debut on the grand prix calendar next year with a night-time street race in Jeddah as part of a "long-term partnership" announced by the sport.

Sports Minister HRH Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al Faisal said staging the race "perfectly reflects the transformational journey the country is on".

It is understood the deal is for at least 10 years.

Amnesty International has said the event will be used to sports-wash Saudi Arabia's "appalling" human rights record.

"Presuming this race now goes ahead, Formula One should insist all contracts contain stringent labour standards across all supply chains, and that all race events are open to everyone without discrimination," said Felix Jakens, Amnesty International UK's head of campaigns.

He added: "In the lead-up to the race, we're saying to F1 drivers, owners and teams - they should brief themselves on the dire human rights situation in the country."

Prince Abdulaziz insisted staging an F1 race in November in 2021 will result in "positive change".

"Saudi Arabia was criticised for being closed off to the world, and now we've opened up, we're criticised for sports-washing," he told BBC Sport.

"For many Saudis this will be a dream come true. It's a very special moment. We can showcase to the world what we're capable of."

F1 has faced criticism from human rights campaigners in the past for staging races in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Russia, Abu Dhabi and China.

In a statement, it said: "We take our responsibilities very seriously and have made our position on human rights and other issues clear to all our partners and host countries who commit to respect human rights in the way their events are hosted and delivered."

Amnesty has long criticised Saudi Arabia's human rights record, pointing to long-standing issues including women's rights, the treatment of the LGBT community and the restriction of free speech.

Western intelligence agencies also believe the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018 was ordered by the Crown Prince - something he denies. Saudi authorities blamed a "rogue operation" for Khashoggi's death.

Prince Abdulaziz added: "If we can use sport to get people together and they understand Saudi Arabia, then why not?

"This is the biggest issue we had in the past and now people are coming and understanding the culture.

"We have to… make sure we abide with international regulations and rules, that we reflect positively towards all of this."

Prince Abdulaziz said the race would be "the cherry on top of the cake", with Saudi Arabia hosting a growing number of international sports events as part of the country's 'Vision 2030' programme, designed to increase participation and tourism.

Formula E, the Dakar Rally, wrestling, tennis, the Spanish and Italian Super Cups and European Tour golf have all been staged in the country over the last two years. Next month Riyadh will stage two internationals women's golf tournaments for the first time.

Prince Abdulazaiz - who enjoyed a career as a motor racing driver himself - said the grand prix would "set a standard that surpasses everything that has been hosted in the past", and in terms of prestige and profile, eclipse Anthony Joshua's 'Clash on the Dunes' world heavyweight boxing title fight with Andy Ruiz Jr in 2019.

A new purpose-built F1 track at Qiddiyah is due to be completed in 2023.

F1 chairman Chase Carey, said "Saudi Arabia is a country that is rapidly becoming a hub for sports and entertainment… and we are very pleased that F1 will be racing there from next season.

"The region is hugely important to us and with 70% of the population of Saudi being under 30 we are excited about the potential to reach new fans."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54828701

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bahrain's two Grands Prix this season will be held "predominantly without spectators" as a result of coronavirus.

But a small number of tickets will be made available for frontline health workers and their families.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrari reveal engine plan for F1 2021 and 'very promising' signs

Ferrari are set to introduce a "completely new" engine in 2021 as the power-shy Formula 1 giants bid to return to the front of the grid, with team boss Mattia Binotto stating the early signs are "very promising".

After engine regulations were changed at the end of last season, in 2020 Ferrari have gone from being the fastest on the straights to one of the slowest, and F1 title challengers to the midfield.

They are currently sixth in the standings with 103 points - less than a quarter of rivals Mercedes - while their lack of horsepower has also had a knock-on effect for customer teams Alfa Romeo and Haas, who sit eighth and ninth.

Although F1 rules are stable in terms of upgrades for 2021, Ferrari are planning a big change to get them back into contention.

"We do not have currently the best engine," said Binotto, who has come under increased pressure this year. "I think that next year we may have a completely new power unit. As Ferrari, we have invested a lot in developing further the power unit for 2021, further more for 2022."

An encouraged team principal added: "The engine is running currently at the dyno, I think the feedback so far on performance and reliability is very promising.

"We have to be efficient in the way we are planning, creative in the way we are testing. For what I can see, I am happy with the results."

A big engine improvement could be a game-changer for Ferrari, whose revamped 2020 car has progressed through the season and flourished on less power-dependent tracks.

Charles Leclerc is fifth in the drivers' standings, and has secured three second-row qualifying results as well as two unexpected podiums.

Next season, Leclerc will be partnered by Carlos Sainz, who is replacing four-time F1 world champion Sebastian Vettel.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...romising-signs

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Vietnamese Grand Prix has been dropped from the 2021 Formula 1 calendar, BBC Sport has learned.

It raises doubts that the race, due to make its debut in April before it was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic, will ever take place.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Formula 1 reveals record-length race calendar for 2021 season

Name:  englandseam.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  269.8 KB

Formula 1 has unveiled a record-length provisional calendar for the 2021 season as the sport plans to return to racing all around the globe.

22 races have been named for next year and a 23rd slot has also been kept open in April should a replacement be found for Vietnam, which has been dropped from the planned schedule.

The coronavirus pandemic has seen the 2020 season reduced to 17 rounds and largely based in Europe but F1 are confident a more 'normal' campaign will be able to take place next year, with fans in attendance.

An F1 statement read: "Our hosts for 2021 are reassured by our safe return to racing this season and confident that the plans and procedures we have in place will allow us to return to a level of normality for the 2021 season."

F1 has never previously staged more than 21 races in a single season.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...or-2021-season

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daniel Ricciardo: No 'awkwardness' in Renault's F1 battle with McLaren

Daniel Ricciardo has insisted he does not feel "awkward" racing hard against his future team McLaren - and is bidding to finish 2020 on a high by helping Renault come out on top in Formula 1's closest battle.

Renault are currently third in the Constructors' Championship - which would be their best season result since 2007 - but only one point ahead of midfield rivals McLaren and Racing Point heading into this weekend's Turkish GP, the first of four races to finish the campaign.

An added intrigue to that fight is the fact their star driver Ricciardo - who has scored the vast majority of those 135 points during one of the best seasons of his F1 career - is leaving for McLaren at the end of 2020.

Ricciardo, however, is adamant he will continue to show "intensity and loyalty" with Renault, speaking to Sky F1 after being asked if there was any awkwardness about trying to get the better of his next team.

"Not at all," he said. "I looked at the team, and I looked at myself, and I really made a promise to them that I'll do all I can before the chequered flag in Abu Dhabi [F1 2020's last race] and there's no fun and games.

"I think honestly, McLaren watching, and anyone who really cares and who is a real racer over there at McLaren, will appreciate and respect that. I'll show the right intensity and loyalty and everything I can with Renault until the end, and in my mind that has to be respected and understood."

Ricciardo, who is fourth in the drivers' standings and arrives in Istanbul after two podiums in three races, added: "Next year, when the page turns, I'm all in with McLaren - but until then I'm going to keep going at Renault."

Ricciardo is replacing Carlos Sainz at McLaren, while Renault have signed two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso for 2021.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...e-with-mclaren

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Hamilton can win record-equalling seventh world title this weekend a the Turkish GP.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turkish Grand Prix: Max Verstappen quickest on slippery Turkey track

Max Verstappen led a Red Bull one-two in an unrepresentative first practice session at the Turkish Grand Prix on a low-grip track.

Verstappen's team-mate Alexander Albon was second, ahead of Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Pierre Gasly's Alpha Tauri.

The Istanbul Park circuit, holding its first race since 2011, was resurfaced two weeks ago and drivers were more than 10 seconds off the pace expected.

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton was 15th and team-mate Valtteri Bottas ninth.

Briton Hamilton will be champion as long as he does not lose more than seven points to Bottas.

With Mercedes expected to lead the way, that effectively means the 35-year-old will clinch the title if he wins the race, or if he finishes second to Bottas as long as the Finn does not also set fastest lap.

Hamilton, who can clinch a record-equalling seventh world title on Sunday, was more than five seconds off the pace.

Verstappen was 0.241secs quicker than Albon, who was 0.189secs faster than Leclerc.

There were a number of spins throughout the session as drivers struggled with the low-grip surface, with Bottas, Verstappen and Gasly joined by Alpha Tauri's Daniil Kvyat and Williams' Nicholas Latifi.

And the session was briefly red-flagged early on when Leclerc slid wide and knocked over the bollard marking the entry to the pit lane.

It was a tough session for McLaren's Carlos Sainz, who was called into the pits with an engine problem.

The team said they had found an electrical issue and sent him out again, only for the Spaniard to stop on track saying the problem was "engine, power steering".

Williams driver George Russell is to start from the back of the grid as a penalty for using more than the permitted number of engine parts this season, after exceeding his allocation of internal combustion engines, turbos and MGU-Hs, the hybrid device that recovers energy from the turbo.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54930368

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance Stroll takes pole position after chaotic Turkish Grand Prix qualifying

Racing Point's Lance Stroll took a sensational maiden pole position in a chaotic wet qualifying session at the Turkish Grand Prix.

The Canadian beat Red Bull's Max Verstappen by 0.290 seconds as Lewis Hamilton, on the verge of his seventh title, could manage only sixth place.

Hamilton's Mercedes team-mate and only title rival Valtteri Bottas was ninth.

Stroll's team-mate Sergio Perez was third ahead of Red Bull's Alexander Albon and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo.

Hamilton will be disappointed with his grid position but looks in extremely good shape to win the title.

He will clinch it, and equal Michael Schumacher's all-time record, as long as Bottas does not out-score him by more than seven points, and as the Finn is starting three places behind the world champion, he would not be expected to beat Hamilton.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54944194

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LEWIS HAMILTON HAS CREATED F1 HISTORY

94 race wins,
    97 pole positions,
    163 podium finishes,
    and now record-equalling 7th title!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hes an atg, but f1 simply doesnt have the draw it used to back in the 00s and earlier

i rem watching races every weekend when i was younger, and a lot of ppl i knew did too. now no one i know actually makes an effort to watch races anymore

him not fitting the cookie cutter image of a celebrity hasn't helped him either, but hes stacked so i doubt he cares.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton wins seventh Formula 1 title - equalling Michael Schumacher

Lewis Hamilton clinched a seventh World Championship and became the most successful racing driver ever with a masterful victory in the Turkish Grand Prix on Sunday.

The Mercedes driver equalled Michael Schumacher's achievement in terms of titles, after already surpassing the German's number of race wins last month.

Victory at a treacherously wet and slippery Istanbul Park track in a topsy-turvy race was the 94th of the 35-year-old Briton's career.

As he received the congratulations of his team, Hamilton was almost overcome with emotion in the car after the race, saying: "To all the kids out there, dream the impossible."

Once out of the car, he added: "Seven is just unimaginable but when you work with such a great group of people and you really trust each other, there is just no end to what can do together.

"I feel like I'm only just getting started, it's really weird."

Hamilton, who does not yet have a contract for next year, added that he would "love to stay" in F1 and wanted to continue to campaign for change when it comes to human rights, diversity and environmentalism.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54950152

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Well done Lewis, he's going to overtake Michael before too long
    What a driver, what a guy and a role model too

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    New Yarek
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is all time great

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton to race on in Formula 1 to 'push for equality'

Lewis Hamilton has pledged to race on in Formula 1 and continue his fight for equality and sustainability after clinching his seventh drivers' title.

The 35-year-old's victory in Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix made him the most successful racing driver in history.

Hamilton described his achievement as "the pinnacle of my life so far", adding: "There is a much bigger win we all need to work together towards.

"That's pushing for equality, so we can create a better future."

Briton Hamilton has become a champion of anti-racism this year, as well as continuing his campaigns on environmental issues.

"We have had this awakening this year," he said, "and people are starting to be held accountable and holding themselves accountable and realising that is not a bad thing.

"It just means we have to work harder and not be so stubborn and open our minds up and educate ourselves a bit better so we can push for a more equal world.

"I am not going to stop fighting for that and then in my part time maybe I'll keep racing for a little while."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54950399

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton contract talks 'to start in days', says Mercedes boss Toto Wolff

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says he expects to start talks with Lewis Hamilton over a new contract within a few days.

Hamilton became the most successful Formula 1 driver in history on Sunday as he clinched his seventh world title.

His contract expires this year but he has said he wants to stay at Mercedes.

"Flying back from a seventh drivers' championship, you can't talk about a contract. It wouldn't do justice to the achievement," Wolff told BBC Sport.

"We're going to give it a few days then we are going to talk about it.

"Our relationship is much beyond business, it is one of friendship, one of trust.

"This one day of negotiations is something we don't enjoy as it's the only time where we are not having shared objectives. The best deal is one where both parties walk off not completely satisfied."

Hamilton and Wolff had put off contract talks because they wanted to secure the drivers' and constructors' championships first.

The situation was complicated by the pandemic, with neither wanting to increase Hamilton's risk of catching coronavirus, which could have derailed his season. So they were limiting personal contact.

"It's a bizarre situation because we've been talking about it for a while, we've really just got to find a day where we sit down," said Wolff in a 5 Live special on Hamilton broadcast on Monday.

Hamilton's seventh title, secured with his 94th career victory in Turkey on Sunday, equals the achievement of Michael Schumacher, but the Briton ranks as F1's most successful ever driver because he surpassed the German's record of 91 wins last month. He also has more pole positions than anyone else.

"We are all thinking of Michael very often and his achievements," Wolff said. "There's very few great drivers - [Juan Manuel] Fangio in the '50s and then [Ayrton] Senna and then obviously Michael Schumacher, who set the record, and now Lewis.

"It's very difficult to compare them but I guess that with Lewis it's history in the making and sometimes it's difficult to really acknowledge that. Only when a career comes to an end, people will say we were part of the history making and I think this is what's happening."

Ex-F1 driver Mark Webber, a former rival of Hamilton, said the Mercedes driver was "untouchable" in the sport.

"It's been an extraordinary career, particularly late in his career," Webber said. "He is towards the end of his career but he's young, fit and motivated in his mind and still getting the job done so that's really, really average news for the opposition because he's got a trophy cabinet that nobody else can match now and he's continuing to break records."

The Australian also praised the longevity of Hamilton and the Mercedes team that has dominated F1 since 2014.

"Everyone wants to work with Lewis," Webber said. "The staff retention at Mercedes is phenomenal because they want to be involved with success and the amount of victories that he keeps racking up.

"It's not easy to have that type of continuity in our sport because there's a tremendous amount of headhunting that goes on and people move around teams but the dominance that Mercedes have had is unprecedented as well, the amount of Constructors' Championships they've won on the bounce as the team.

"But with Lewis, he is an absolute step above when it comes to his driving, his consistency, he's fearless on track, that is the big one for me, the style that he has on track in whatever circumstances."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54964665

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton's been named the most influential black person in the UK.

Days after winning Formula One's World Championship for a record-equalling seventh time, he's topped the Powerlist 2021.

The list honours the most powerful people of African, African Caribbean and African American heritage in the UK.

This year, there's been a special focus on two of the biggest themes of 2020 - coronavirus and racial injustice.

The independent judging panel looked at people who have the "ability to change lives and alter events, as demonstrated over a protracted period of time and in a positive manner".

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sergio Perez waits for Red Bull decision over 2021 Formula 1 drive

Sergio Perez has insisted that his Formula 1 future is "not in my hands" and is prepared to take a sabbatical in 2021 if Red Bull don't come calling, a scenario described as a "travesty" after he continued his fine form with a podium at the Turkish GP.

Perez - fourth in the championship despite missing two races due to coronavirus - has been one of the drivers of the season and secured a much-deserved first 2020 podium last weekend but, after Racing Point decided to replace him with Sebastian Vettel for next year, he still hasn't found a seat to remain on the grid.

The Mexican's only realistic option left is Red Bull, who are Mercedes' closest F1 challengers and would represent an upgrade, but who are also eager to retain Alex Albon - provided he impresses before the end of the season.

Sky F1's Karun Chandhok, speaking to Perez after he finished second at the Turkish GP, said it would be a "travesty" if he had to leave F1, to which he replied: "I think in Formula 1 it's not 100 per cent related to performance.

"We've seen with other drivers, there are so many things around the seat, around a driver, that at the end of the day this is not in my hands. I'm not really concerned, I really want to finish the season on a high and see what happens."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ormula-1-drive

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton is pondering a momentous year, one in which he has not only become the most successful racing driver in history, but done so in the midst of a global pandemic that has turned everyone's life upside down - including his.

More used to jetting around the world, this year Hamilton has "lived like a hermit," as his Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff describes it, in between races that so far have been almost exclusively been in Europe.

This change, Hamilton says, has been been a mixed blessing.

"Finally being in one place for a week after a race," he says. "I've just not really ever had that, and it's been good in many ways. But, you know, pretty challenging also.

"There's been times, just to keep your head above water, it's definitely been a challenge. But I know it's the same for so many people around the world.

"I've had lots of different things to focus on. I've managed to find myself very comfortable on my own. I've managed to find peace and being centred and just being happy. And I've been able to focus on weaknesses in training."

Hamilton's has been a virtually solitary life away from races specifically because of the risks of coronavirus. Realising catching it could derail his title challenge, he has pretty much removed himself from society and says he has "sacrificed more than I have in my whole life".

"I've never really been home [before]," he says. "In my winter, I go to the mountains [in Colorado], which I really see as my main home, because it's a house and it's full of love and memories from people, the family that come every winter.

"Where I live in Monaco, it's been somewhere I go back to and I'd call home but it lacks those memories. I'd be there for short periods of time. So it's not been the easiest."

The "bubble" he has created to keep himself safe has fundamentally included only one other person - Angela Cullen, a New Zealander who is Hamilton's physio.

Cullen keeps out of the limelight, but is often seen by Hamilton's side at races, and has her own room in the motorhome Hamilton has been living in at the European grands prix.

"Thank God for Angela," Hamilton says. "I mean, she's got a family and I've tried to get her to go home to her family as much as possible.

"It's not easy to spend time with anyone, I think, for long periods of time, but we're room-mates and, you know, pretty much best of friends.

"We work well, and we do pretty much everything together. We sky-dive together, we surf together, we run together, we go to the gym.

"We're very much aligned in terms of things we like to do. We are both on a plant-based diet, so we're learning a lot together, and there's things I raised that maybe she didn't know, and vice versa."

Read more on

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55010313

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Magnificent.

I hope he gets one more Championship and lays down a marker.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sebastian Vettel reflects on his first GP weekend and future hopes for F1

Sebastian Vettel has welcomed F1's push towards the use of sustainable fuels in the future and is hopeful the sport's work for its engine future can prove a "game-changer" for the road-car industry.

In an update released last week detailing progress towards the sport's target of achieving a net-zero carbon footprint by 2030, F1 said work was underway looking into how hybrid engine technology can be married with sustainable fuels for when the next-generation engine is introduced, currently planned for 2026.

And Vettel, the four-time world champion, believes F1's engineering and brainpower can be put to good use in that area to help make a wider difference into the future.

"You learn as you go and especially when you have kids in this world you wonder what sort of world you will leave them and they will grow up in," he said in a Sky Sports F1 interview.

"For the future, there are some plans and especially the most interesting one, I guess, is the introduction of biofuels, or synthetic fuels.

"That could really be a game-changer also for mobility outside F1 and mobility around the globe.

"We have the technology and the engineering power to move quicker on that and we have to change and that will be a completely different status and game for Formula 1 to tackle. We have the resources, we burn money, so let's burn it for something useful that also will find its way onto the road."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...e-hopes-for-f1

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrari have had the better car on a number of occasions teh last few years. Deserves a knighthood

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Three-time Grand Slam tennis winner Andy Murray believes Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton deserves to join him as a British sporting knight.

Reports have suggested that Hamilton, who won a record-equalling seventh title last week, will be awarded a knighthood in the New Year Honours.

ADVERTISEMENT

"In terms of what he has achieved as an athlete, of course he deserves it," Murray, 33, told Good Morning Britain.

"He's one of the most successful sportspeople in the country's history."

Hamilton wins seventh Formula 1 titleChallenger, champion, change-maker: The real Lewis Hamilton storyThe ultimate Lewis Hamilton quizThe greatest ever? We examine the stats

Murray, given his knighthood in the New Year Honours in 2017, added: "He supports some great causes as well away from the racing track, so yes I would say he definitely deserves it in terms of his success."

Hamilton, 35, who was made an MBE in 2009, recently told the BBC's Sally Nugent that it would be his "happiest day ever" if he got the chance to be honoured by the Queen again.

Last week, 1996 British F1 champion Damon Hill said that Hamilton had broken down barriers with his achievements.

"The knighthood will be seen as recognition of not just his driving but also as a black driver that has bust another door open for anyone who is not white," said the 60-year-old.

"He has destroyed the preconception that it can't be done, that there is an area where you cannot achieve something because of the colour of your skin. He has totally destroyed that notion."

Hamilton's remarkable statistics

The Englishman's win at the Turkish Grand Prix on 15 November secured his seventh championship after previous successes in 2008, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

He already holds the record for most pole positions and earlier this season overtook German Michael Schumacher's total of 91 F1 race wins.

This is a fourth consecutive title for Hamilton (2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020). The record of consecutive F1 championships belongs to Schumacher, who swept all before him in securing five title wins on the bounce between 2000 and 2004.It is also Hamilton's sixth title in seven years. Hamilton's dominance was interrupted by German Nico Rosberg - his Mercedes team-mate - pipping him to the championship by five points in 2016.Hamilton has won a grand prix when leading from the first lap to the last on 22 occasions - the most of any driver. Brazilian Ayrton Senna is second having done so 19 times.Hamilton is in second place in the list of drivers to have completed the most 'grand slams'. He has achieved the rare feat of taking pole position, winning the race having led every single lap and claiming the fastest lap in six grands prix. British driver Jim Clark, who won two titles in the 1960s, has the most grand slams with eight.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55055452

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton, in the first race since becoming the most successful driver of all time, dominated first practice at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hamilton was 0.449 seconds ahead of team-mate Valtteri Bottas in second place, with Racing Point's Sergio Perez in third, nearly a second off the pace.

It was an unrepresentative session, not least because the teams spent some of it assessing 2021-specification tyres.

It was held in daylight with qualifying and the race in the dark.

The test tyres added to the complexity of the session, with Hamilton and Bottas using the 2020 medium tyres to set their fastest times, while others used soft tyres or the test tyres, which were 2021-spec medium compound tyres.

For what it was worth, McLaren's Carlos Sainz was fourth fastest, ahead of Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly and the Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon.

The Ferraris of Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel were 11th and 12th fastest.

The second session, held at the same time as qualifying and the race will take place, is likely to be more representative as teams simulate qualifying and race performance.

Racing Point, McLaren, Ferrari and Renault are locked in a close fight for third place in the constructors' championship, with millions of pounds at stake for each position gained, with three races to go this season on consecutive weekends in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, Perez, Leclerc and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo are disputing fourth in the championship behind Hamilton, Bottas and Verstappen.

Unusually in the desert, there were spots of rain at various times during the session, and a number of incidents.

Haas driver Romain Grosjean had a high-speed spin at Turn Six, destroying his tyres and narrowly avoiding the barriers, and Leclerc also had a less dramatic rotation at Turn Two.

And Bottas struggled early on with locking his inside front wheel at Turn 10, which has a tricky entry zone in which drivers have to brake and turn, destroying his first set of tyres and damaging his second.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55103456

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton top in Bahrain Grand Prix practice as Alex Albon crashes

Alexander Albon suffered a heavy crash in second practice at the Bahrain Grand Prix, leaving his Red Bull career hanging by a thread.

The British-Thai driver is trying to prove to Red Bull that he deserves to be kept on for 2021.

But his crash, in which he was uninjured, was the latest in a series of incidents that are undermining his case.

World champion Lewis Hamilton was fastest from Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55107874

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel lead driver complaints over 2021 tyres

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel have expressed their dismay at the performance of their 2021 Pirelli tyres tested during practice at the Bahrain GP.

All drivers were given two sets of one of the compounds planned to be introduced for next season, which feature a different tyre construction to this year.

But a number of drivers were unhappy with how they performed, with both Hamilton and Vettel suggesting F1 should keep with this year's tyres - which were first introduced in 2019.

"Oh, god…I'm trying my hardest not to say anything!" said Hamilton when asked for his verdict on the tyre's performance after Friday practice.

"Look, what I want to say is that weekend in, weekend out, every year we have got a team here from Pirelli. I have the utmost respect for the guys that come here and load our tyres up, bring them here and keep us safe. They do an amazing job.

"We have had the same tyre for the last two years. At the end of 2019 they brought a new tyre which usually they normally do and it was quite a bit worse. Then they just said 'okay, now we'll just keep the tyre that we had from last year'.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ver-2021-tyres

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    World champion Lewis Hamilton took his 10th pole position of the season at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hamilton, who clinched a seventh title in Turkey two weeks ago, was a comfortable 0.289 seconds clear of Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who looked a threat to Mercedes through practice, fell back to his customary third.

Team-mate Alexander Albon recovered from a heavy crash on Friday to take fourth.

But the British-Thai driver was 0.6secs behind the Dutchman, and less than 0.1secs ahead of Racing Point's Sergio Perez.

Renault's Daniel Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon were sixth and seventh, separated by just 0.002secs, ahead of Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly and McLaren's Lando Norris.

Despite becoming the most successful driver in history in Istanbul, having equalled Michael Schumacher's record of titles and already surpassed his win tally, Hamilton is showing no signs of relaxing.

In fact, he said he wanted to continue his run of form and end the season on a high.

"I didn't celebrate too much," he said. "I was training and making sure I was ready for this and keeping my eye on the ball.

"With the pressure a little bit off, it's a bit of a release to go and drive like I just did."

Hamilton was fastest on both runs in final qualifying, but did not get the best out of his first lap, which was slower than he had managed on harder 'medium' tyres in second qualifying.

That put him 0.146secs ahead of Verstappen, with Bottas third.

Hamilton said there was "plenty of room for improvement" and he went out and proved it.

Although all three improved on their second runs, Hamilton moved further clear, with Bottas slipping in front of Verstappen for the customary front of the grid in 2020.

It was the 98th pole of Hamilton's career, and he can reach a century if he does the same at the final two races of the year, a remarkable achievement.

Bottas said: "It felt good. That's the problem when it feels good and it feels like you are extracting the best from the car and the lap time is not there."

Verstappen described his lap as "quite decent", adding: "I just lacked a bit of rear grip."

While the top of the championship is settled, there is an epic scrap for third in the constructors' championship between Racing Point, McLaren, Renault and Ferrari, and for fourth in the drivers' chase between Perez, Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Ricciardo.

Perez gave him and his team a boost with a strong performance, while Leclerc is stuck down in 12th place on an uncompetitive weekend for Ferrari.

Leclerc was beaten in qualifying by team-mate Sebastian Vettel, who was 0.016secs ahead in 11th place, for only the fourth time this season.

McLaren's Carlos Sainz was 15th after a rear brake failure sent him into a spin at the start of second qualifying.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55115974

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grosjean surviving that crash is a miracle...scary stuff.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most horrific crashes you'll see. Can't believe he walked away in one piece.

Name:  imran.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  108.8 KBName:  pakfielding.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  143.2 KBName:  PAKSA.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  142.9 KB

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    One of the most horrific crashes you'll see. Can't believe he walked away in one piece.

Name:  imran.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  108.8 KBName:  pakfielding.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  143.2 KBName:  PAKSA.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  142.9 KB
    The whole paddock must be shaken...Im having a tough time myself. I thought he must be dead

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    And another crash

"Hamilton leads as Stroll flips in collision after restart "

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a carbon fibre cage. What do you expect other than the driver walking away.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    It's a carbon fibre cage. What do you expect other than the driver walking away.
    Are you talking of Grosjean? If this had happened a couple of years back Grosjean would have had his head smashed in or decapitated. Even Lewis said that post race.

The halo most probably saved him.
    His car went through the barrier and his head pretty much would have had a direct impact on the barrier at several G forces. Even then if the safety car wasnt nearby he would have had severe burn or maybe even chocked. He was extremely lucky today.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Hamilton wins as Perez suffers late engine failure to lose third

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton wins after Romain Grosjean escapes dramatic Bahrain GP fire

Lewis Hamilton took his 11th victory of the season in a Bahrain Grand Prix notable for a violent, fiery crash by Haas driver Romain Grosjean.

Grosjean was taken to hospital with minor burns and suspected rib fractures after his car pierced the barriers on the first lap.

The burning Haas was trapped sideways in the barrier, with nearly 30 seconds passing before Grosjean climbed clear as medical crews rushed to help.

Hamilton was in control throughout to beat Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

A unique, horrific crash

Grosjean's crash was an incident the like of which has not been seen for many years.

The Franco-Swiss triggered it himself after veering dramatically across the track between Turns Three and Four and colliding with Daniil Kvyat's Alpha Tauri.

That sent him hurtling towards the barriers, which he hit at an angle that would normally not create such a dramatic effect.

But the car speared between layers of the barrier, and the twisting force generated split it in two, the engine and gearbox coming to rest away to the side.

The fracture to the chassis exposed the fuel tank, and the car, now lodged in the barrier, burst into flames.

Grosjean was in the inferno for several seconds before he managed to extricate himself and was helped over the barrier by FIA doctor Ian Stewart, who was in the medical car that rushed to the scene.

Grosjean initially sat in the medical car before being helped into an ambulance and then flown to hospital.

Another win for Hamilton

Grosjean's incident caused a lengthy stoppage while the wrecked metal barriers were replaced by concrete ones.

Soon after the restart, there was another incident, as Lance Stroll's Racing Point was pitched into a roll by Kvyat and landed upside down - but the driver was unhurt.

That brought out the safety car and it was only on the ninth lap that the race finally got properly under way.

Hamilton, who had converted his pole into a lead at the first corner, made no mistake at the re-start and was able to control the race from there.

But he said it was "not as easy as it looked", saying he struggled with tyre management and felt under pressure from Verstappen.

The Red Bull driver was critical of his team, saying that bolder calls on pit timing could have enabled him to push Hamilton harder.

"We had the tyres to put them under more pressure today but we didn't do it," he said. "I don't know why we were so conservative."

The Briton's victory matches his own previous best tally for a season and means he can match the all-time record of 13 victories in a year, currently held by Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel, if he wins the final two races.

Racing Point's Sergio Perez was on course for a fine third place and his second podium in two races until an apparent engine failure with three laps to go promoted Red Bull's Alex Albon.

The Mexican's retirement was a massive boost for Renault and McLaren in the fight for third place in the constructors' championship, as McLaren's Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz were promoted to fourth and fifth, and the Renaults of Daniel Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon to seventh and ninth, with Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly in sixth.

Perez's failure meant the race ended under the safety car.

Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas made a poor start from the front row and had a desperate race thereafter.

The Finn was sixth at the red flag for Grosjean's crash, but was promoted to fourth for the restart as a result of the point at which the officials decided to take the positions.

But Bottas suffered a slow puncture on the first lap of racing and had to pit for fresh tyres. He was able to recover only to eighth place.

Albon had been unable to challenge Perez before the Mexican's retirement, while both McLaren drivers recovered well from difficult qualifying sessions - and Sainz, in particular, produced a fine drive after starting on the soft tyre, passing several cars.

Perez's retirement promoted Charles Leclerc to the final point in 10th place after a dismal race for Ferrari, for whom Vettel could manage only 13th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55122591

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean has been taken to hospital with minor burns and injuries after a terrifying, fiery accident at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean: F1 and FIA investigations begin into Bahrain GP accident

Formula 1's authorities have started their investigations into Romain Grosjean's violent accident in the Bahrain GP, with Ross Brawn saying there were "a number of things that shouldn't have happened" in the frightening incident.

Grosjean astonishingly escaped with burns to the back of his hands from one of the most horrifying crashes in recent F1 history. Striking the barrier on the exit of Turn Three at high-speed, the Frenchman's Haas car split in two and caught fire.

F1 strives for ever-improving safety standards for both its cars and circuits, and the Halo head protection device - introduced amid some controversy in 2018 - has been widely credited for saving Grosjean's life.

As is the case with all significant accidents, the sport's officials are therefore determined to learn more about what happened in Sunday's in order to make further improvements.

Speaking to Sky Sports F1, FIA race director Michael Masi said: "We will look at it all and undertake a full investigation of the whole incident, and what we can learn.

"Be it car safety, be it driver equipment, be it safety features around the circuit.

"The survival cell did exactly what it was there to do. It kept the driver safe.

"But we'll review the incident itself and see if there's anything that we can learn in the short term. But, certainly, from the barrier integrity and so forth, there's no knee-jerking to it."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...in-gp-accident

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  IMG-20201201-WA0014.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  190.7 KB

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikita Mazepin: Haas sign Russian driver for 2021 on 'multi-year deal'

Russian Nikita Mazepin will make his Formula 1 debut for Haas next season.

Mazepin, 21, third in Formula 2 with two races remaining, has signed a "multi-year deal", the team says.

Haas have not named their other driver, but Mick Schumacher, son of seven-time F1 champion Michael, is the favourite.

Team principal Gunther Steiner said: "Nikita has underlined his credentials in F2 this year, with two victories and a handful of podiums in a strong season."

Mazepin added: "Becoming a Formula 1 driver is a lifelong dream come true for me. I really appreciate the trust being put in me by [team owner] Gene Haas, Gunther Steiner, and the whole of the team.

"They're giving a young driver an opportunity and I thank them for that.

"I'm looking forward to starting our relationship together, both on and off the track, and I'm naturally keen to continue to demonstrate my abilities after a strong Formula 2 season.

"The team will be looking to me for feedback and inputs in order to refine its package for 2021 and beyond. I will take that responsibility on and can't wait to get started."

Mazepin is the son of billionaire Russian industrialist Dmitry Mazepin, 52, who has bankrolled his career.

Nikita Mazepin was second in the GP3 feeder series in 2018, before finishing 18th on his debut in F2 in 2019.

He was third in the Asian F3 championship over the winter of 2019-20 before continuing in F2 this season, switching from the ART to Hitech teams.

He won so-called 'feature races' - the longer of two events on each F2 weekend which starts from a standard grid - at Silverstone and Mugello.

The second F2 race of each weekend is shorter and the grid is set by the finishing positions of the feature race, but with the top eight cars in reverse order.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55143233

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Name:  IMG-20201201-WA0014.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  190.7 KB
    And Russell gets the drive. What an opportunity, really rate him as a future world champion. Lets see him up against Bottas

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mick Schumacher, the son of seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael, has signed to race for Haas next season.

The US-based team said the 21-year-old had signed a "multi-year contract". He will partner Russian Nikita Mazepin, who was confirmed on Tuesday.

Schumacher, a member of the Ferrari driver academy, leads the F2 series going into this weekend's final round.

"The prospect of being on the Formula 1 grid next year makes me incredibly happy," said a "speechless" Schumacher.

German Schumacher thanked Haas and Ferrari for their "trust", adding: "I also want to acknowledge and extend my love to my parents. I know that I owe them everything. I have always believed that I would realise my dream of Formula 1.

"A huge thank you must also go to all the great motorsport fans out there who have supported me throughout my career. I will give it my all, as I always do, and I look forward to going on this journey together with Haas F1 and them."

Haas team boss Gunther Steiner said Schumacher had "earned the opportunity" with his performances in Formula 2.

Schumacher's F1 debut next year will come on the 30th anniversary of his father's own entry to the sport, at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix.

Michael Schumacher had a glittering career which ended with him being the most successful driver of all time, with 91 wins and seven World Championships.

Britain's Lewis Hamilton has this year surpassed Schumacher's win record and equalled his tally of championships.

Michael's medical condition is unknown following a skiing accident in 2013 in which he suffered severe head injuries. The 52-year-old has not been seen in public since.

His son's career has been guided carefully by the family and Michael's former manager, Sabine Kehm, to ease him through the motorsport ranks while keeping the inevitable public interest off his shoulders as much as possible.

He won the European Formula 3 championship in his second year in the category in 2018, made his F2 debut last season, winning a race at the Hungarian Grand Prix, and has won two races so far in a consistent 2020.

Schumacher is 14 points clear of Briton Callum Ilott with two races to go at this weekend's round at the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain.

Mick Schumacher has said comparisons with his father were "never a problem" for him, and described Michael as "my idol and very special".

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sakhir Grand Prix: British driver George Russell to replace Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes in Bahrain

Williams driver George Russell will replace Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes for this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix.

Hamilton has been forced to withdraw from the race in Bahrain after testing positive for Covid-19.

Williams reserve Jack Aitken will replace Russell.

"I might be wearing a different race suit this weekend, but I'm a Williams driver and I'll be cheering my team on every step of the way," said 22-year-old Russell.

"I see this as a great chance to learn from the best outfit on the grid right now and to come back as an improved driver, with even more energy and experience to help push Williams further up the grid. A big thank you also to Mercedes for putting their faith in me.

"Obviously, nobody can replace Lewis, but I'll give my all for the team in his absence from the moment I step in the car. Most importantly, I wish him a speedy recovery. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity and can't wait to get out on track this week."

Mercedes have guided Russell's career since 2017 and he was a Mercedes reserve driver in 2018 before they released him to Williams on a three-year contract from the start of the 2019 season.

He is highly rated by the team as a candidate for a potential future drive.

The Briton has tested several times for Mercedes but running him in Bahrain this weekend - as well as potentially the season-closing race in Abu Dhabi a week later if Hamilton does not recover in time - is a good opportunity for the team to assess his development in a competitive environment.

Mercedes inquired as to Williams' position on Russell in the summer before they confirmed Valtteri Bottas for the 2021 season, but were told they were not prepared to release him.

However, that was under Williams' previous management before their sale to the investment group Dorilton Capital in August.

"It will not be a straightforward task for George to make the transition from the Williams to the W11, but he is race-ready and has a detailed understanding of the 2020 tyres and how they perform on this generation of cars," said Mercedes chief Toto Wolff.

"George has shown impressive form this year with Williams, playing an instrumental role in their climb up the grid, and I am optimistic that he will deliver a strong performance alongside Valtteri [Bottas], who will be a demanding reference for him.

"This race will mark a small milestone for us, as we see a member of our Junior programme compete for the works Mercedes team for the first time."

Aitken, 25, will make his F1 debut when he takes to the grid this weekend.

A practice driver at the Styrian Grand Prix earlier this year, the Briton has also competed in Formula 2 this season, earning two podiums and eight other points finishes. He finished fifth overall in F2 last season.

"I'm absolutely over the moon to have the opportunity to make my debut with Williams this coming weekend and I am extremely happy for George to have his chance too," said Aitken.

"I really mean it when I say I've felt very much at home since I joined Williams earlier this year, so to get my chance to help the team try to achieve that elusive points finish is an extremely satisfying occasion to say the least."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55152354

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean: FIA to investigate Haas driver's Bahrain crash

Formula 1’s governing body has launched an investigation into Romain Grosjean’s fiery accident at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The FIA said it would conduct a “detailed” analysis of the incident, in which Frenchman Grosjean’s car penetrated the barriers.

It said it would be six to eight weeks before the findings were published.

FIA safety director Adam Baker said the data “allows us to accurately determine every element of what occurred".

Baker added the "work has already begun" and the aim was “to find out exactly what happened before proposing potential improvements”.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55172481

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean: Haas driver 'doesn't feel like a hero' after escape from fiery accident

Haas driver Romain Grosjean says he "doesn't feel like a hero" after his amazing escape from a fiery accident at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The 34-year-old Frenchman said: "I know the footage was unbelievable."

Grosjean said if he had seen the crash happen to someone else "I would have been sure that the driver was dead".

But he added: "I kind of felt I was doing my job, as a driver, but as a dad to make sure my kids would have their father in the best possible condition."

Grosjean, who has suffered burns to his hands and bruising to his left foot, said he hoped Formula 1 could learn from the accident to make the sport safer in the future.

He said this is what had happened with the introduction of the halo head-protection device following the death of Jules Bianchi from injuries sustained in a crash in the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix.

"If we can learn anything from that incident in terms of the safety but also in the way I behaved in the car the survival instant - I never panicked, I was never stressed, everything I did was mathematical," Grosjean said.

"Even after removing the glove because I know my hands were burned, every step was just rational.

"I don't know if you are born with that instinct or it is something that you can improve through your life but obviously that saved me. Let's see how much we can learn from that.

"Being a racing driver is a great thing. People say what you do is is extraordinary; and I say, 'No, doctors that save lives are extraordinary, firemen are extraordinary.'

"If I can, as Jules did for me, save life in the future by [my] experience, I will have a very strong legacy in motorsport and probably my biggest pride."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55189829

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Formula 1 driver Romain Grosjean has said he was 'at peace' with dying during the 28 seconds he was trapped in his burning car, following a horrific crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Valtteri Bottas edged Mercedes new boy George Russell to pole position at the Sakhir Grand Prix.

The Finn was just 0.026 seconds quicker than Russell, driving for Mercedes for the first time as a stand-in for Lewis Hamilton, who has coronavirus.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen was just 0.03secs behind Russell in third place.

And there was a superb performance from Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, who took fourth, less than 0.3secs from pole, with team-mate Sebastian Vettel 13th.

It was a highly impressive performance from Russell, who had set the pace in both practice sessions on Friday but fell back a little once running started on Saturday.

Bottas was 0.212secs quicker than Russell after the first runs in qualifying but the Finn failed to improve on his second run and Russell was able to run him close, but just miss out.

Sakhir Grand Prix full qualifying results
    Russell said: "It has been incredibly intense, so much to learn, getting used to the car, seat, everything.

"It felt really alien to begin with. A different way of driving, trying to unlearn what I learnt at Williams and learn how to drive this car fast.

"I got a few things wrong in P3 and would have been happy just to get into Q3 at that stage, but got it all together in the Q3.

"Valtteri has pushed Lewis incredibly close over the years and to be this close behind Valtteri coming in with two days' prep, I'm delighted."

Bottas said: "It is a different situation to have a different team-mate but I just wanted to focus on what I was doing and not waste energy on anything else.

"Strategy-wise we are in a good place and It is good to see George on the front row. Not my best qualifying but I am happy with pole."

What a lap from Leclerc
    Leclerc's performance was arguably the stand-out moment of qualifying.

Ferrari qualified 11th and 12th at the Bahrain Grand Prix last weekend and did not have high expectations for this race on a new, shorter layout of the same track.

But Leclerc excelled, first by sneaking into the final part of qualifying, 0.3secs faster than Vettel at the time, and then with an outstanding lap right at the beginning of the session that put him second fastest behind Verstappen at the time.

He went on the radio afterwards and said to his team: "This lap was very good."

That was it for Leclerc, as he had no new tyres left to run again, but although the track in theory gets quicker through a session, only the Mercedes drivers were able to go faster than him and to be 0.236secs from pole in a Ferrari will go down as one of the laps of the season.

How did the rest get on?
    Racing Point's Sergio Perez was fifth fastest, ahead of a strong performance from Alpha Tauri's Daniil Kvyat, who beat Renault's Daniel Ricciardo to sixth.

McLaren's Carlos Sainz took eighth ahead of Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly and the second Racing Point of Lance Stroll.

Sainz's team-mate Lando Norris was down in 15th after a bizarre mix-up led to him not recording a representative lap time in second qualifying.

Briton Jack Aitken was 18th on his debut for Williams, replacing Russell, just 0.096secs behind team-mate Nicholas Latifi and ahead of the Alfa Romeo of Kimi Raikkonen.

Brazilian Pietro Fittipaldi was 20th and last as he stood in for Romain Grosjean at Haas after the Frenchman's fiery crash last Sunday.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scenes if Russell wins today! Hopefully, he does with Max and Perez securing the other podium positions

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great finish to the F2 season..Schumacher goes to F1 as the champion but not without some serious fight from Ilott.
    Jehan wins his first race, completely overshadowed this season though by the special Tsunoda who comes from 9th to 2nd and finishes third overall in the championship. What a season he has had as a rookie! He must get the Alpha Tauri drive surely.

Notable mentions to Shwartzman, Lundgard, Drugovich, Ticktum the other special rookies this year. F2 has been incredible this year.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romain Grosjean to miss the final grand prix of the season

Romain Grosjean will miss the final grand prix of the season as a result of the burns he suffered in his fiery crash in Bahrain last weekend.

Grosjean wanted to race in Abu Dhabi next weekend to close off his Formula 1 career but will return home for further treatment on his injured hands.

Brazilian Pietro Fittipaldi, who is standing in for Grosjean in Sunday's Sakhir Grand Prix, will race instead.

"The risk of racing is too big for my recovery and my health," Grosjean said.

"We've tried as much as we could with the doctor to recover and to repair my hand. It's one of the hardest decisions of my life, but it's obviously one of the wisest."

Grosjean is out of contract for next year after his Haas team decided to sign two new drivers for 2021 and 2022, and his racing future is uncertain.

The 34-year-old joined Haas for their debut season in F1 in 2016 and has driven there ever since.

Previously, he had a half-season for Renault in 2009, before returning to F1 in 2012 to make his full-season's debut with that team's new iteration as Lotus, where he stayed for four years and scored 10 podiums, narrowly missing out on at least one win.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55206823

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Racing Point's Sergio Perez took his first Formula 1 victory in the Sakhir Grand Prix as Mercedes fumbled what should have been a debut win for George Russell.

The 22-year-old Briton, standing in for Lewis Hamilton after the world champion contracted coronavirus, was on his way to an accomplished victory before a late-race safety car.

Mercedes did not have to pit their cars, but chose to do so in what was intended to be a safety decision.

But they put the wrong tyres on Russell's car and then could not fit a new set to that of his team-mate Valtteri Bottas, who had to have his old tyres fitted back on to his car.

Russell had to stop again the next time around to fit a correct set, and the Mercedes were now down in fourth and fifth places, Bottas ahead.

Russell could still have won the race, but a puncture when he was trying to chase down Perez sent him to the back. He carved his way back up to ninth for his first F1 points, will be scant reward after such drama.

It was a remarkable drive by Perez, who had to pit at the end of the first lap after being hit by Ferrari's Charles Leclerc at Turn Four.

But the Mexican, who does not yet have a seat next season, drove a superb race, carving up through the field and was set for a brilliant third place before Mercedes hit trouble.

Renault's Esteban Ocon took second for his first F1 podium finish, with Lance Stroll joining Racing Point team-mate Perez on the podium.
    Last edited by MenInG; 7th December 2020 at 00:24.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc have destroyed George's first win. What a shame...still remarkable drive from the man. He is ready.
    Sergio deserves this win though, best outside Lewis this year

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George Russell hopes he has put Mercedes in 'difficult position' with superb Sakhir GP debut

George Russell hopes his superb Mercedes debut drive at the Sakhir GP puts Toto Wolff in a "difficult position moving forward" as he aims a full-time race seat, while the world champions' boss said "a new star is born" and the "sky is the limit" for the young British driver.

Russell's first race for Mercedes, standing in for Lewis Hamilton, may have ended in heartache following a pit-stop blunder and a puncture - but he sent a powerful F1 message in Bahrain, dominating experienced team-mate Valtteri Bottas and twice getting himself into a race-winning position.

There is, however, every chance that Russell returns to his Williams car for this weekend's season-ending race in Abu Dhabi, with Hamilton recovering from coronavirus, while the 22-year-old is also signed up to race for the Grove team - one of the sport's current backrunners - next season.

But Russell, telling Sky Sports F1 about "crying it out, hugging it out" and the "wise words" he had from family and Wolff after an emotional evening, is proud he has at least showcased his ability to Mercedes.

"My mum couldn't speak because I think she was probably in tears," Russell said. "So she put my dad on the phone and he was just like, you've got so much to be proud of, that was yours today.

"Likewise from Toto, he said you drove like a champion.

"I think we all feel it, to be honest, it was almost a fairy tale. Hopefully it puts Toto in a difficult position now moving forward... so if I've managed to achieve that that's a little victory in itself."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...akhir-gp-debut

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lewis Hamilton says he is trying to get in shape to return for the final Grand Prix of the season this weekend after contracting coronavirus.

The Mercedes driver missed last weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive on 1 December.

He requires a negative test before he can leave isolation in Bahrain.

"It has been one of the hardest weeks I've had for some time," the world champion said in a video posted on social media.

"I've just been focusing on recovering and trying to get back in shape."

Hamilton said he woke up on Tuesday "feeling great and got my first work-out in [since his positive test].

"I wanted to let you know I'm OK. I hope I can get back in the car soon."

Hamilton did not say whether he had tested negative, which suggests that he has not at this stage.

If Hamilton does not recover in time, Briton George Russell will again stand in for him at Yas Marina, after losing out on a debut win for Mercedes on Sunday following a pit-stop mix-up and a puncture.

The latest Mercedes can put Hamilton in the car to enable him to race in Abu Dhabi is on Saturday.

If he tests negative in time, Hamilton still needs the approval of the United Arab Emirates authorities to travel to Abu Dhabi, as F1 personnel were allowed to travel between the two countries only on specific flights on Monday as part of a bubble system set up to limit the risks of spreading Covid-19.

Conversations are ongoing between Hamilton's management and the authorities on this matter.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haas F1 condemn 'abhorrent' Nikita Mazepin actions, social media video

Haas have issued a strongly-worded statement condemning the "abhorrent" behaviour of their 2021 Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin in a video posted on social media.

Mazepin, who was confirmed as a new Haas driver last week, posted a short video on his Instagram stories on Tuesday night, in which he appears to reach from the passenger seat of a car and inappropriately touch a woman's chest on the back seat.

The woman reacts by moving her hand in reaction to being touched, before showing her middle finger to the camera and covering the lens.

The video was swiftly deleted but circulated elsewhere on social media, to widespread criticism.

Haas, who have an all-rookie line-up with Mazepin and Mick Schumacher next year, responded by issuing a statement criticising the Russian, 21, and confirming that they will deal with the matter internally.

"Haas F1 Team does not condone the behaviour of Nikita Mazepin in the video recently posted on his social media," the statement read, "Additionally, the very fact that the video was posted on social media is also abhorrent to Haas F1 Team.

"The matter is being dealt with internally and no further comment shall be made at this time."

Mazepin also apologised for his actions, and the sharing of them on social media.

"I would like to apologise for my recent actions both in terms of my own inappropriate behaviour and the fact that it was posted onto social media," he said. "I am sorry for the offense I have rightly caused and to the embarrassment I have brought to Haas F1 team.

"I have to hold myself to a higher standard as a Formula 1 driver and I acknowledge I have let myself and many people down. I promise I will learn from this."

The woman in the video, model Andrea D'lVal, shared her own statement on Instagram on Wednesday, insisting that she and Mazepin are "good friends", the video was a "joke", and that she was the one who posted it on his story.

"Hi guys, I just want to let you know Nikita and I have been good friends for a long time and nothing from that video was serious at all!" she said.

Nikita Mazepin finished fifth in the Formula 2 championship this year
    "We trust each other so much and this was a silly way of joking between us. I posted this video on his story as an internal joke. I am truly sorry.

"I can give you my word he's really a good person and he would never do anything to hurt or humiliate me."

Mazepin finished fifth in the Formula 2 championship this season, 51 points behind the title-winner, and soon-to-be team-mate, Mick Schumacher.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...al-media-video