"My favourite batsman is Rohit Sharma. I want to become one of Pakistan's best openers" : Ahsan Ali

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"My favourite batsman is Rohit Sharma. I want to become one of Pakistan's best openers" : Ahsan Ali

Ahsan Ali media talk today:

I am thankful to Allah for giving me such a big opportunity. Playing for Pakistan is every cricketer's dream.

There isn't any pressure, I have played PSL as well and I have handled pressure. When I get a chance, I will try to do well and make a permanent spot in the team for myself.

I didn't sleep much at night, I kept waiting as we had a practice session in the morning. I heard that the team would be announced at 2.30pm so I was sitting in front of the TV at 1.30pm and was wishing time would go past quickly, but it wasn't happening. When the team was announced, I was so excited, I can't express how I felt.

My favourite batsman is Rohit Sharma the Indian opener. I have a game plan and I will try to show it to the world and become one of Pakistan's best openers. I will try to execute my plan and help Pakistan win and play for Pakistan as much as possible.

Babar Azam is a big player, he is the world #1 batsman. It will be a proud moment for me to open the batting with Babar Azam on debut and I will get to learn a lot from him because he has experience.

I will try to play according to the pitch and conditions. I will try to play according to the tactics and plan according to what is required. Where hitting is required, I will do that, I won't just go out there and try to smash directly. I will try to play according to the plan.

The target is that when I debut, I do so well that I remain in the team. I want to represent Pakistan in the World Cup.

I have worked hard on my fitness, I have been working at the NCA for the past 31 days and Misbah bhai and the trainer have worked a lot with me. I have seen quite a lot of improvement in my fitness and I have passed the fitness tests as well.

Every cricketer wishes to play in front of his home crowd, it's a matter of honour to make your debut at home.

I would tell all teams that Pakistan is a very safe country and that they should all come here to play cricket.

Bangladesh's team is quite tough, they have improved a lot and have the likes of Mahmudullah who are brilliant batsmen. They have improved in all aspects and they are a world-class team, it will be tough competition. I would like to request fans to come and support us.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While there's nothing wrong in wanting to emulate a better player, we never heard a Pakistani cricketer looking up to an Indian in the days I grew up watching cricket.

Times have changed, and personally this is sad for me. Our cricket team used to be very proud and had players who were stars in themselves.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good.

That's a very good role model for LOI cricket, I'm happy he has quality role models.

Good luck to him!

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    While there's nothing wrong in wanting to emulate a better player, we never heard a Pakistani cricketer looking up to an Indian in the days I grew up watching cricket.

Times have changed, and personally this is sad for me. Our cricket team used to be very proud and had players who were stars in themselves.
    If we donít look up to Indians who else should we look up to?

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodluck to Ahsan Ali for his 1st game for Pakistan, very classy batsman

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Considering his dreadful domestic record, his favorite batsman might as well be Joginder Sharma.

Domestic stats are often very misleading, but the fact that is officially 26 already doesnít fill you with confidence.

Probably another Asif Ali in the making. Will play a few nice shots but will show why he hasnít managed to get his game together till this age.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure he has that much talent though

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good role model to have.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a good eye and picks the length early, he needs to learn how to build a long innings if he wants to grow as a batsman as that has been his weakest aspect even in domestic cricket which is unfortunate as he is one of the better stroke players in top order we have though it doesnt matter that much in T20s as a decent 20-30 at a good pace is good enough for a start in T20.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally he has a chance to show his talent

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Indians on PP: Sharma and Kohli cannot chase down 300+ in a pressure game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rohit Sharma is a excellent role model to have.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So, is he a fatty?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly I don't see a future for him. Looked horrible against Hasnain in the practice match today.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Stats are not convincing at all and I don't recall him being any good in the PSL either. Good luck to him though.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck. At least heís not debuting in Australia

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    If we donít look up to Indians who else should we look up to?
    They can look up to whoever they want. My point was that we never heard such things in the earlier days and one could sense that we had players who had huge egos that would never allow them to say such a thing, that too about an arch rival... It's just sad to me personally as a fan of Pak cricket but I guess these are the times we live in

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean tbf to Mamoon domestic stats are there for a reason you can't just overlook tham and with the stats this guy has he should be miles away from the national team.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imams domestic stats are terrible as well but he averages over 50 in odi cricket so domestic stats can be very misleading also Iíve seen him bat he is good

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Considering his dreadful domestic record, his favorite batsman might as well be Joginder Sharma.

Domestic stats are often very misleading, but the fact that is officially 26 already doesn’t fill you with confidence.

Probably another Asif Ali in the making. Will play a few nice shots but will show why he hasn’t managed to get his game together till this age.
    Give him a break, at least he's trying to get better. His last couple FC scores are 52,70,2,51*,86*

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CadPakFan View Post
    Give him a break, at least he's trying to get better. His last couple FC scores are 52,70,2,51*,86*
    Now I am even more worried.

I thought this 26 year old youngster would have score a few triple-hundreds in his last few innings so that we could get excited over his untapped potential.

However, it appears that Mickey Mouse scores are being used to justify the selection of this 26 year old youngster with a laughable domestic record.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    Imams domestic stats are terrible as well but he averages over 50 in odi cricket so domestic stats can be very misleading also I’ve seen him bat he is good
    Imam was 22 when he made his international debut, and his List A average was 45+ and his FC average was 35+.

This guy is a 26 year old youngster and he averages less than 30 in all domestic formats with 60+ matches.

There has to be something seriously wrong due to which he has not been able to get his game together till the age of 26 and after playing domestic cricket for 6-7 years now.

He is either been terribly unlucky and has been mismanaged by a sea of coaches and captains, or he is actually a terrible player like Asif Ali.

The Pakistani cap is very, very cheap these days. Every tom, dick and harry appears to have the distinction and honor of calling themselves international cricketers.

There was a time when it actually meant something to break into the Pakistan side and call yourself an international cricketer. Nowadays, 26 year old youngsters who cannot even succeed in domestic cricket are given the chance to play international cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    I mean tbf to Mamoon domestic stats are there for a reason you can't just overlook tham and with the stats this guy has he should be miles away from the national team.
    My issue is with his age. If he was a teenager it wouldn’t be a problem. However, there has to be something seriously wrong to see a 26 year old with such terrible numbers, especially when he has been playing domestic cricket since 2013.

Stats can be misleading if you view them in the wrong context, but I am afraid I don’t see any context here to support his selection.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My issue is with his age. If he was a teenager it wouldn’t be a problem. However, there has to be something seriously wrong to see a 26 year old with such terrible numbers, especially when he has been playing domestic cricket since 2013.

Stats can be misleading if you view them in the wrong context, but I am afraid I don’t see any context here to support his selection.
    Brother he is a good batsman. He can play shots all around the ground. But his issue is fitness. He runs out of breath after scoring 25 runs. He needs to lose atleast 15kg.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Brother he is a good batsman. He can play shots all around the ground. But his issue is fitness. He runs out of breath after scoring 25 runs. He needs to lose atleast 15kg.
    Whatever the issue is, he should not be honored with an international cap because he clearly does not deserve it.

When you have the likes of Usman Qadir and Ahsan Ali selected in the national team, you have to feel sorry for the thousands of cricketers in domestic and club cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My issue is with his age. If he was a teenager it wouldnít be a problem. However, there has to be something seriously wrong to see a 26 year old with such terrible numbers, especially when he has been playing domestic cricket since 2013.

Stats can be misleading if you view them in the wrong context, but I am afraid I donít see any context here to support his selection.
    For once I completely agree with you.

It seems like Misbah has a quota for handing debuts on each tour and Ahsan won the lucky dip this time. I have zero expectation from Ahsan, however I would love to be proved wrong

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ahsan says he stopped eating rice, roti and sweet stuff since he joined a camp at the NCA around a month back. Seems to have lost some weight and says he passed the fitness tests too.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Ahsan says he stopped eating rice, roti and sweet stuff since he joined a camp at the NCA around a month back. Seems to have lost some weight and says he passed the fitness tests too.
    so his role model changed?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaib88 View Post
    so his role model changed?
    An ideal combination of Kohli and Sharma. Like how UAkmal was the perfect combination of Tendulkar and Miandad.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparently he was doing well in the practice match here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fvCphHUjbE

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At least Fakhar had decent stats when he was picked, I agree with @Mamoon that Pakistan cap is quiet cheap these days

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domestic stats are often very misleading, but the fact that is officially 26 already doesnít fill you with confidence.

Probably another Asif Ali in the making. Will play a few nice shots but will show why he hasnít managed to get his game together till this age.
    You are right. His average is garbage (below 30) across all formats. How did he get selected? Another Asif Ali in making. I would play an out of form Fakhar Zaman over a player with such a dismal record.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketAXEpert View Post
    You are right. His average is garbage (below 30) across all formats. How did he get selected? Another Asif Ali in making. I would play an out of form Fakhar Zaman over a player with such a dismal record.
    Fakhar in the last 15 months has played 12 T20Is and averages 9 with a SR of 107. You may as well play with 10 players.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trash like Rafatullah was also given 3 chances. Might as well give this guy also a go and see what happens

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Debuting for Pakistan today vs Bangladesh in Lahore.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ahsan Ali at a presser after the 1st T20I:

"I am thankful to Allah for making your debut, it's an honour to play for Pakistan. There was a bit of nervousness, that happens with the 1st match but there wasn't pressure because seniors gave me confidence. Later when the team was under pressure, Shoaib bhai came to bat and gave confidence so there wasn't any problem with playing.

"I wanted to play fast when I got the right deliveries but after Babar got out, we had to change the game plan and take the game deeper. The pitch was a bit difficult so I had to adjust and be a bit reserved.

"If you try to play a long innings then runs will come, you get bad balls and I was waiting for those.

"Babar Azam said he didn't feel like he edged the ball so I told him to take the review"

"I will play according to the pitch, if the pitch is similar to this then I will have to change my game, if it's better then I'll play my natural game."

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought he played decent today. I always liked the fact he made this quick starts in PSL but just needs to work on conversation. I reckon Ahsan is a good pick. If Pakistan want to strengthen their squad i'd replace Shadab with Zafar Gohar and in place of Hasnain try giving Naseem Shah a debut.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 24th January 2020 at 23:43.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad Shafiq 2.0 minus the strokeplay, plays a similar selfish brand of cricket enough to keep his place but let the team lose. Now I know why that loser Misbah picked him.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did not impress, but let's see how he plays over the series

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

It is pretty well documented that Imran Khan was a big fan of Gavaskar and rated him as one of the top 2 batsmen he bowled to. During the 87 tour to India, it was learned that every time Gavaskar defended, Imran would go to his openers saying "Dekho ise kaise khel Raha hai". Doesn't necessarily mean people didn't look up to Indian batsmen, but they were admired by Pakistani players.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have my doubts about him. I don't think he is cut for International cricket yet, let alone T20s. How can you drop Fakhar for this guys? You need Fakhar to score quick at the top during powerplays.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any shades of Rohit sharma? Didn't see the match.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Any shades of Rohit sharma? Didn't see the match.
    Double century incoming. Lol!

No shade in today's match.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Look at this stats

Not single format averaging over 30
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 24th January 2020 at 23:44.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You are playing your first match and that too at home and nerves will be through the roof. At the other end is greatest Pak batsman of the decade who gets out second ball. You fight your way through the innings while regularly losing partners and contribute a nice score towards winning cause.

PP experts who didn't even get selected for their mohallah team: "Not good enough, selected on Karachi quota"

Mashallah mein sadqay jaon.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Look at this stats

Not single format averaging over 30
    Ok so stats are important now, did they go to buy oil when I kept harping about Imam's stats or Akmal's stats or dozens of other players stats? Selectively looking at stats to suit your agenda

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You are playing your first match and that too at home and nerves will be through the roof. At the other end is greatest Pak batsman of the decade who gets out second ball. You fight your way through the innings while regularly losing partners and contribute a nice score towards winning cause.

PP experts who didn't even get selected for their mohallah team: "Not good enough, selected on Karachi quota"

Mashallah mein sadqay jaon.

One thing I can agree on. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Ahsan deserves a run and more matches. Only then we can give a verdict. Pitch was too slow today and not suitable for shot making either.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok so stats are important now, did they go to buy oil when I kept harping about Imam's stats or Akmal's stats or dozens of other players stats? Selectively looking at stats to suit your agenda
    Imam was the third highest run scorer in QEA 2016 before selected

UA has a first class avg of 45+
    Last edited by shah_1; 24th January 2020 at 22:49.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imam was the third highest run scorer in QEA 2016 before selected

UA has a first class avg of 45+

Conveniently changing formats. Imam has a domestic T20 average of 33 at 120 SR. Nothing much to write home about yet he was selected.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 24th January 2020 at 23:44.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Conveniently changing formats. Imam has a domestic T20 average of 33 at 120 SR. Nothing much to write home about yet he was selected.
    2019 PSL

Imam ul haq-avg 28, strike rate lf 130
    Ahsan Ali - avg 22 strike rate 130
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 24th January 2020 at 23:45.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    2019 PSL

Imam ul haq-avg 28, strike rate lf 130
    Ahsan Ali - avg 22 strike rate 130
    Well Imam is doing horse riding while Ahsan is opening the batting for Pak.

Jallo beta aur jallo

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well Imam is doing horse riding while Ahsan is opening the batting for Pak.

Jallo beta aur jallo
    Both are not good enough for Pakistan in T20s. Pakistan cap is cheap these days

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're 26, professional sportsman and are over weight, you will not go too far. Become a better sportsman only then you can become a successful cricketer. Not everyone is Inzmam or Sharma.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to work on his shot selections and playing longer innings which isnt a problem in T20s though. There are lack of attacking options at the top in T20s and that is why he came into picture. He needs to work hard and make the most of this oppurtunity. He has good hand eye co ordination and can time the ball well on true surfaces.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Guy was hardly consistent in PSL

How can you expect him to do well in international cricket?

Misbah is as stupid as ever!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, Sir @Mamoon was absolutely right!!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    He is barely good enough to play domestic cricket and we have rewarded him with an international cap.

As I said, the Pakistani cap is extremely cheap these days. It doesnít take much to call yourself an international cricketer in this country.

You will find better club cricketers than Ahsan Ali in India.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaib88 View Post
    As always, Sir @Mamoon was absolutely right!!
    I think most of us knew already

Just look at his T20 stats for a start

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Utter waste of a spot

Maybe as well as given Fahkar an opportunity to find some form

I wonder how misbah will spin this selection

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This shows Kamran Akmal is the only choice we have for the openers slot.

Of course, partnering Sharjeel if he does well in the PSL or Fakhar as the last resort.

Some people live in a delusional world where there's an endless supply of quality batsmen, David Warners and Rohit Sharmas coming through in Pak.

Fact is, there's none. There is no quality opener nor any youngsta beauty who has the shots to take on pace bowling.

The 3rd rate options we have are:

Imam
    Ahmed Shehzad
    Masood

None of them is a T20 opener. The better choices are:

Kamran Akmal
    Umar Akmal
    Sharjeel
    Fakhar, but he's prone to getting out to bouncers.

Hope Misbah makes the right call for the world cup and gives us Kami.

People here will tell you there's a mysterious youngsta beauty hidden in the domestic scene that can compete with David Warner, but DO NOT believe them. There's nobody.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is barely good enough to play domestic cricket and we have rewarded him with an international cap.

As I said, the Pakistani cap is extremely cheap these days. It doesn’t take much to call yourself an international cricketer in this country.

Lol forget India, even Indian posters must be tired of you bringing India in every post. I know you try to provoke, but everyone here knows that India is way ahead of Pakistan in batting talent so the ęremindersĽ are not needed.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    This shows Kamran Akmal is the only choice we have for the openers slot.

Of course, partnering Sharjeel if he does well in the PSL or Fakhar as the last resort.

Some people live in a delusional world where there's an endless supply of quality batsmen, David Warners and Rohit Sharmas coming through in Pak.

Fact is, there's none. There is no quality opener nor any youngsta beauty who has the shots to take on pace bowling.

The 3rd rate options we have are:

Imam
    Ahmed Shehzad
    Masood

None of them is a T20 opener. The better choices are:

Kamran Akmal
    Umar Akmal
    Sharjeel
    Fakhar, but he's prone to getting out to bouncers.

Hope Misbah makes the right call for the world cup and gives us Kami.

People here will tell you there's a mysterious youngsta beauty hidden in the domestic scene that can compete with David Warner, but DO NOT believe them. There's nobody.
    Akmal mafia returns. People like you will be calling for Umar and Kamranís selection long after theyíre dead.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím sorry but Iím not seeing anything special in this guy. Even if he was half as good as Rohit, I would have cheered for him.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't see this guy lasting very long in the Pakistan set up. He's simply not good enough and will probably end up like Mukhtar Ahmed.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How this guy is selected in the lineup is beyond me. He is nowhere close to a t20 player.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny how these guys come and make these big statements “ i want to be this and that” and then end up making a complete fool of themselves.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As I said, the Pakistani cap is extremely cheap these days. It doesnít take much to call yourself an international cricketer in this country.

Exactly just like how their are better gully bowlers in Pakistan then unadkat etc.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks pretty ordinary I'm afraid. Yes, its 2 T20 games and maybe a bit harsh - but, I'll stick my nexk out and say it - he's a hack.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2654 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    With a FC & List A average of 27 & 28, by the official age of 26, I donít think he has much future in international cricket. In fact he is almost identical to what Asif Ali was at debut and Asif actually had better T20 stats. And this is not even considering that he might match 40 years old Kamran in fitness (didnít see, but what I read ...)

One thing I check for every batsman and it works almost always - if a playerís domestic List A or T20 average is better than FC stats after a good number of innings, you donít back him much to survive in international circuits .... may be, he will start with a bang but wonít sustain for long once teams have got enough footage to expose his defensive game - it didnít last even 2 years for even Fakhar, and guy had very good FC average and outstanding List A stats.

They should try Umar Amin as Babarís partner - one for the last time.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    With a FC & List A average of 27 & 28, by the official age of 26, I don’t think he has much future in international cricket. In fact he is almost identical to what Asif Ali was at debut and Asif actually had better T20 stats. And this is not even considering that he might match 40 years old Kamran in fitness (didn’t see, but what I read ...)

One thing I check for every batsman and it works almost always - if a player’s domestic List A or T20 average is better than FC stats after a good number of innings, you don’t back him much to survive in international circuits .... may be, he will start with a bang but won’t sustain for long once teams have got enough footage to expose his defensive game - it didn’t last even 2 years for even Fakhar, and guy had very good FC average and outstanding List A stats.

They should try Umar Amin as Babar’s partner - one for the last time.
    Sharjeel and Babar Azam. That is it.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2654 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Sharjeel and Babar Azam. That is it.
    Donít back much on Sharjeel any more after three years completely out of game. Itís actually tougher for batsman than bowlers to make a comeback from such gaps because a bowler can still keep his fitness being outside the game and the bowling skills are more natural, while batting needs lot of practice and game time because the skill is more process oriented, technical and needs reflex, hand-eye - still it didnít happen for Amir, who was at the age (at come back), when many player debuts in international cricket.

For Sharjeel - first thing is, my hunch is that, guy now is close to 35 biologically, an age when someone Viv Richards lost his mojo for his standard. Then, he was pathetic with fitness three years back, now he looks more like a wrestler than cricketer. And, after all this guy averaged 24 in T20, 34 in ODI, backed hugely by one 150 against Ireland. May be still can work for T20, I donít know - but I am not sure. I had read many good things about Ahsan in past until this thread as if I am reading about a new player.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Exactly just like how their are better gully bowlers in Pakistan then unadkat etc.
    But they also have Bumrah, who is miles better than any of our bowlers. Not sure what was the point of your post. Looks like you didnít think it through.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    According to Indians on PP: Sharma and Kohli cannot chase down 300+ in a pressure game.
    Not entirely untrue, but then useful for someone to pull out a stat that how many teams have chased 300+ in quarter finals, semi finals, and finals of world cup, champions trophy, Asia cup or any other multiple country championships?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But they also have Bumrah, who is miles better than any of our bowlers. Not sure what was the point of your post. Looks like you didn’t think it through.
    Not sure why you are questioning the point of my post. Pretty much all your post are positless with hate and worshipping India. Seems like I hit the nerve. Getting a debut for India was as a bowler was a similar case to Ahsan Ali. Not sure why this fact is hard to digest. You still get players like thakur, siraj, khaleell.
    Last edited by Khan12; 26th January 2020 at 18:16.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Don’t back much on Sharjeel any more after three years completely out of game. It’s actually tougher for batsman than bowlers to make a comeback from such gaps because a bowler can still keep his fitness being outside the game and the bowling skills are more natural, while batting needs lot of practice and game time because the skill is more process oriented, technical and needs reflex, hand-eye - still it didn’t happen for Amir, who was at the age (at come back), when many player debuts in international cricket.

For Sharjeel - first thing is, my hunch is that, guy now is close to 35 biologically, an age when someone Viv Richards lost his mojo for his standard. Then, he was pathetic with fitness three years back, now he looks more like a wrestler than cricketer. And, after all this guy averaged 24 in T20, 34 in ODI, backed hugely by one 150 against Ireland. May be still can work for T20, I don’t know - but I am not sure. I had read many good things about Ahsan in past until this thread as if I am reading about a new player.
    Ahsan Ali always had ability as a stroke maker, but these pitches are probably the worst for his kind of technique.

Karachi pitch suits him a lot more.

But forget his technique. What I didn't like is how stupid he constructed his innings in game 1.

He could have finished with a 60* and booked his spot. Just by rotating(he did this brilliantly)

Instead, played a stupid shot. He should have been a bit selfish
    Game 2, he tried to smack everything. And now his career is probably over. Just like that.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is very young so obviously he will make mistakes, you cannot discard players like this. He is still better than the available option Pakistan have

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    It is pretty well documented that Imran Khan was a big fan of Gavaskar and rated him as one of the top 2 batsmen he bowled to. During the 87 tour to India, it was learned that every time Gavaskar defended, Imran would go to his openers saying "Dekho ise kaise khel Raha hai". Doesn't necessarily mean people didn't look up to Indian batsmen, but they were admired by Pakistani players.
    Not sure you got my point because what you said actually reinforces what I said. Rating an Indian batsman highly is totally fine because you rate someone based on facts... And facts aren't subjective. However, even during Imran's time, Pak players wouldn't openly say that I look up to a certain Indian player... The ego and the passion was such that they wouldn't publicly acknowledge that... Even if they rated them highly.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    One thing I can agree on. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Ahsan deserves a run and more matches. Only then we can give a verdict. Pitch was too slow today and not suitable for shot making either.
    lol first give Pak cap to mediocre batsmen and when exposed, hide behind the excuse of giving them a long run before judging. It has become a trait of Pak cricket off late. Misbah has made another blunder and knowing how stubborn he is , he will be hell bent on proving Ahson is Int. quality and not accept his mistake even if he keeps failing till T20 world cup.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With a FC & List A average of 27 & 28, by the official age of 26, I donít think he has much future in international cricket. In fact he is almost identical to what Asif Ali was at debut and Asif actually had better T20 stats. And this is not even considering that he might match 40 years old Kamran in fitness (didnít see, but what I read ...)

One thing I check for every batsman and it works almost always - if a playerís domestic List A or T20 average is better than FC stats after a good number of innings, you donít back him much to survive in international circuits .... may be, he will start with a bang but wonít sustain for long once teams have got enough footage to expose his defensive game - it didnít last even 2 years for even Fakhar, and guy had very good FC average and outstanding List A stats.

They should try Umar Amin as Babarís partner - one for the last time.
    I never knew he had such awful stats. so what did Misbah actually saw in his batting? The sooner Pak gets rid of such con artists the better. Can't even do one job properly and he is getting money for three.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryw View Post
    He is very young so obviously he will make mistakes, you cannot discard players like this. He is still better than the available option Pakistan have
    He's 26. At that age you have to hit the ground running.