Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"I completely support Mushfiqur Rahim's decision" : Mahmudullah

Mahmudullah has thrown his full weight behind Mushfiq and backed his decision not to travel to Pakistan owing to security concerns

Bangladesh wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim opted to skip the tour of Pakistan, citing his family’s reservations about the security issue.

Interestingly, interim captain Mahmudullah, who is the brother in law of Mushfiq, got the green signal from his family.

Mahmudullah however, has thrown his full weight behind Mushfiq and backed his decision not to travel to Pakistan owing to security concerns.

“Initially it was a little bit tough obviously. My family was concerned about it but later they agreed on the matter. In that sense I am relieved that my family will not feel stressed about the tour because probably Pakistan will provide the best security. And as for Mushfiq’s decision I completely support his decision because family is always the most important issue in a player’s life,” Mahmudullah said to the media in Mirpur’s Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium Tuesday

The Tigers attended their final practice session at the SBNS yesterday prior to flying off to Pakistan Wednesday.

It was an intense training session as batting, bowling and fielding took precedence.

Mahmudullah informed that they have put the finishing touch to their preparation and will try to make a good start in the first of three T20Is in Lahore Friday.

“At the moment players are focusing on the upcoming series rather than the security situation. The decision has been made so we are focusing on cricket only. We are planning on performing well, and focusing on winning the series rather than think about other issues,” said the 33-year old.

Bangladesh last played T20Is in November last year away to India where they lost 1-2, despite winning the first match of the series.

Mahmudullah though believes almost every member in the squad are in good form following the Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League Twenty20 and determined to put on a good show against the No 1 ranked side in T20Is.

“Ranking wise they are way ahead as they are the No 1 team in the T20I format and we are in ninth position. But as a captain I am hopeful because of the way we have played in the last few series, we can achieve good results in the series against Pakistan,” said Mahmudullah, who captained Chattogram Challengers in the BBPL.

The second and third T20Is will also be held in Lahore Saturday and Monday respectively.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/sport/2...-pakistan-tour

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re gonna play in Lahore not Damascus.
    Why so tensed?

Enjoy the weather, the food and the game itself. Stop worrying about the security

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Following a promising performance in the three-match T20I series in India, the Bangladesh Cricket Board kept faith in Mahmudullah Riyad to lead the Tigers in the upcoming three-match T20I series against Pakistan.

Normally a calm and composed character, Mahmudullah seemed positive about his captaincy in the shortest format as the 33-year-old walked in confidently for the pre-tour press conference ahead of Bangladesh’s chartered flight to Pakistan today.

As expected, security concerns once again dominated talks ahead of cricket itself and Mahmudullah tried to play according to the basics and focused mostly on the game.

“Initially it was tough [deciding to tour Pakistan] as there were concerns from my family. But I spoke to them and they were finally agreed so from that point I am assured that my family won’t feel stressed because Pakistan will give us top security. But I also support Mushfiqur Rahim’s decision as there are always issues with family. There can’t be anything more important than family for a cricketer or a normal person,” Mahmudullah told reporters yesterday.

In the absence of Shakib Al Hasan, the BCB is now considering Mahmudullah the captain at least for T20Is. Although the board has been naming captains on a series-by-series basis, Mahmudullah believes it will help him to plan accordingly if he is given captaincy on a long-term basis.

Even head coach Russell Domingo said that he preferred Mahmudullah as T20 captain so it will be important for Bangladesh if they are to prepare for the upcoming ICC World T20 later this year.

Apart from Shakib, Bangladesh will also miss the vast experience of Mushfiqur in Pakistan and Mahmudullah said that he and Tamim Iqbal would have to play crucial roles on the tour.

“I personally feel that Tamim and I will have added responsibility on this tour. Tamim’s experience in the top order will be vital. He was in good touch during the BPL. I personally would want to fulfil my responsibilities and I will try to bat till the end. There might be changes in the batting order for some players but I hope everyone will be able to cope,” he said.

The all-rounder was also hopeful about the younger cricketers, saying that he was confident with his team and hoping that newcomers would will apply themselves in Pakistan.

MAHMUDULLAH’S KEYS FOR PAKISTAN TOUR

Fast bowling variety

Although it is the first time in a while that Bangladesh will not have a left-arm spinner in the side, Mahmudullah believes that the variety in his fast bowling department is going to help the Tigers. The likes of Rubel Hossain, Mustafizur Rahman, Shafiul Islam and Hasan Mahmud have all performed well in the recently concluded BPL.

The next generation to take the baton

It seems that Bangladesh are not so far from a big transitional period with the Big Five in the final stages of their careers. According to Mahmudullah, the likes of Soumya Sarkar, Afif Hossain, Naim Sheikh and others needs to create healthy competition in the team. Mahmudullah also informed that the board had already started chalking out plans for the upcoming World T20 in October this year.

Bank on their own strengths

Bangladesh are ranked number nine in the T20I rankings and a series against the format’s top-ranked side on foreign soil will be a huge challenge.

Although Pakistan lost their recent T20I series against Sri Lanka, according to Mahmudullah said it would be important for the Tigers to bank on their own strengths and not think of the opponents. Inspiration can be drawn from Bangladesh’s recent performance in India, where the visiting Tigers displayed some good cricket despite losing the series 2-1.

https://www.thedailystar.net/sports/...t-step-1857280

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    You’re gonna play in Lahore not Damascus.
    Why so tensed?

Enjoy the weather, the food and the game itself. Stop worrying about the security
    Yes, the same Lahore where Sri Lankan team got attacked.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    9/11 took place in NYC etc - you cannot be sitting on history or else nothing will work in this world.

You look at the current risks, how they are mitigated or addressed and move on with life. We do this every time we step out of our house in the morning.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much drama for playing against the number 1 team in t20Is.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    9/11 took place in NYC etc - you cannot be sitting on history or else nothing will work in this world.

You look at the current risks, how they are mitigated or addressed and move on with life. We do this every time we step out of our house in the morning.
    That's true, I agree with you on that but the presidential security which teams are provided makes Pakistan look like an active warzone. Do you not find it embarrassing to see? They have a bazillion cars following them. People that want to get to work can't because they shut the whole city down.
    Last edited by Abdul; 22nd January 2020 at 10:26.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    That's true, I agree with you on that but the presidential security which teams are provided makes Pakistan look like an active warzone. Do you not find it embarrassing to see? They have a bazillion cars following them. People that want to get to work can't because they shut the whole city down.
    Think the presidential bit will ease up after a few good tours. Its a step by step process.

If Pakistanis want cricket in Pakistan, then they will need to tolerate inconveniences like road closures- cant have it both ways., am afraid.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was 11 years ago.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    According to media reports, Mahmudullah has informed of his unavailability to the chief of the national selection panel, Minhajul, Thursday but is yet to give an application in writing to make the request official

Bangladesh all-rounder Mahmudullah is likely to be unavailable for the solitary ODI against host Pakistan in Karachi in April this year.

According to media reports, Mahmudullah has informed of his unavailability to the chief of the national selection panel, Minhajul Abedin, Thursday but is yet to give an application in writing to make the request official.

“Mahmudullah's wife will be awaiting the birth of their child during that point of time [when Bangladesh face Pakistan in the lone ODI] and he wants to be with her during that time. He just informed about it verbally during the meeting. If that is the case, he is likely to be unavailable for the lone ODI against Pakistan, though he is yet to inform us anything officially through an application,” Minhajul revealed to a cricket-based website.

Mahmudullah’s decision to skip an international game has come at a time when the Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hasan has expressed his displeasure over the cricketers’ requests for leave during a series.

During a press conference recently, Nazmul informed that a cricketer has to apply for leave at least six months in advance.

In their last leg of the three-phase tour of Pakistan, Bangladesh will play a one-off ODI and the second and final Test match.

The ODI will be played on April 3, followed by the second Test two days later, and both the games will be held in Karachi.

Bangladesh so far have lost the three-match T20I series against Pakistan 2-0, with the third game washed out, along with the first Test.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/sport/2...r-pakistan-odi

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This tour is really taking a toll on these guys, they are not bothered to turn up and just get it handed to them. Whilst taking a real hit at their stardom in Bangladesh

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    This tour is really taking a toll on these guys, they are not bothered to turn up and just get it handed to them. Whilst taking a real hit at their stardom in Bangladesh
    He is having a child so understandable that he wants to take the match off.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who cares about this loser Mushfiq.