Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

[PICTURE/VIDEO] Abbas Afridi - Performance Watch

Abbas Afridi, a key member of Pakistan U19 bowling attack

“I am happy with my contribution in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup so far, I want to continue my form and make all-round contributions,” says Pakistan’s leading wicket-taker in the tournament

Potchefstroom, 26 January 2020:

Pakistan U19’s leading wicket-taker at the end of the group stage is the FATA-born all-rounder Abbas Afridi who has collected eight wickets in three Group C games of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup being played in South Africa.

Abbas, who bowls right-arm-fast-medium, has provided great support to the strike bowlers Tahir Hussain, Mohammad Waseem and Amir Khan in Pakistan’s three games against Scotland, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

His performance has given great depth to the bowling attack and Abbas lends balance to the squad with his big-hitting abilities with the bat at number eight. Abbas took two for 32 in Pakistan’s opening match against Scotland where the boys in greens sent the Scots packing for 75 runs.

He then made match winning contributions against Zimbabwe when the game was at a knife’s edge. His twin strikes in the 39th over of Zimbabwe’s innings brought Pakistan right back in the match, at the start of the over the African country needed 88 runs to win off 72 balls with seven wickets in hand.

Abbas conceded a mere two runs in the over while taking two crucial wickets with his slower one and seam-up delivery respectively.

On Friday, Abbas provided the perfect foil to debutant Amir Khan in the game against Bangladesh by taking three wickets for 20 runs in seven probing overs.

Abbas followed Amir’s four-wicket burst in the opening overs of the rain-ruined match which came to a premature end due to persistent rain and a subsequent wet outfield with Pakistan in complete domination having reduced Bangladesh to 106 for nine in 25 overs.

Abbas Afridi said: “I am happy with my contribution in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup so far especially since I have taken the most wickets for Pakistan. I want to continue my form and make all-round contributions since I feel I can deliver with both bat and ball.

“I really enjoy bowling with the semi new ball. I rely on bowling seam-up while my slower one is also a wicket taking ball for me. I got crucial wickets when they needed few runs to win. I tried to contain the batsmen by bowling slower ones and also succeeded in getting wickets in the process.

“We got [Afghanistan] out for 160 in the Asia Cup U19 tournament last year and we hope to get them for a low total again in the quarter-final match.

“I want to progress to Pakistan’s senior men’s team and become a Test cricketer. Leading up to this tournament our coach Ijaz Ahmed and bowling coach Rao Iftikhar worked very hard with us which has given us the results.

“I am very confident that we will make it to the semi-finals by beating Afghanistan in the quarters.”

Pakistan are travelling to Johannesburg on Sunday and will start training for the quarter-final clash against Afghanistan from Monday.

The two-time champions take on the Afghans in the last-eight clash at the Willowmore Park, Benoni on Friday, 31 January.

Name:  bbc3c5c5-bab1-49a0-a0b0-57c87606f3d4.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  162.7 KB

Last edited by Saj; 27th January 2020 at 02:35.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say this, but is this lad really Under 19.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    We can never be certain about anyone. Even if people have documentation, itís still easy to manipulate age

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I have seen many boys who look older than their actual age and many who look younger than they actually are. Yes age fudging is an issue in sub continent but I dont think every guy who looks older is fudging his age. Also its really difficult to say by looking at someone. This is one of those things in which nobody can be really sure, also I think with the modern medical procedures the fudging has minimized to around a year or two in comparison to what might have happened in 90s.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in 9th grade, I was already 15 and was shaving (not daily), was already 5' 9'' and 170 Pounds or more. This despite not even being the tallest and biggest guy in class...there were a few who were shaving almost every other day and looked like 2 bachon keh baaps but were barely 16-17!

Pathans and others in the north frontier areas (where this kid is from) usually look much older than their ages, after all a few years back the 15 year old youngster beauty Afridi looked 20 on his debut :-P
    Last edited by Ahmed4472; 27th January 2020 at 05:35.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    When I was in 9th grade, I was already 15 and was shaving (not daily), was already 5' 9'' and 170 Pounds or more. This despite not even being the tallest and biggest guy in class...there were a few who were shaving almost every other day and looked like 2 bachon keh baaps but were barely 16-17!

Pathans and others in the north frontier areas (where this kid is from) usually look much older than their ages, after all a few years back the 15 year old youngster beauty Afridi looked 20 on his debut :-P

Exactly. I was 5ft 11 at 15 and started shaving at 16. And I had friends taller than me!
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I have seen many boys who look older than their actual age and many who look younger than they actually are. Yes age fudging is an issue in sub continent but I dont think every guy who looks older is fudging his age. Also its really difficult to say by looking at someone. This is one of those things in which nobody can be really sure, also I think with the modern medical procedures the fudging has minimized to around a year or two in comparison to what might have happened in 90s.
    This issue will always be raised until PCB publishes a proper document on how they verify age. At the moment, its a little up in the air.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    This issue will always be raised until PCB publishes a proper document on how they verify age. At the moment, its a little up in the air.
    Even then, there will still be questions. Everyone knows it is easy to have wrong date of birth on cnic and medical tests only give approximate accuracy

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is supposed to be an all-rounder so I wonder how good his batting is. Has performed decently on a few occasions, but don't really see many long innings. Seems like a number 8 type of batsman rather than a proper all-rounder.

He did play a decent hand in one of the One-Day games against SA last year, with both bat and ball. Scorecard below.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    We all have to remind ourselves our school/college days at age 17-18. All of the boys in our class were of almost same age but some looked much younger and some older. I suggest us not involve ourselves in this age thing unnecessarily and lets discuss under 19 cricketers skill and performance.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He looks around 21.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't all Pakistanis required to have an ID card?.All parents have register their children's details with NADRA,so unless parents or NADRA officials make mistakes she fudging should not be an issue.I can understand why Afghans fudge ages of their players.Firstly Afghans want to win every competition.They also believe they deserve to win.Secondly Afghanistan has been at war for 40 years so it must be difficult to keep records.The literacy rate is very low in Afghanistan so that may be a factor.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    is he umar guls nephew?

this aint got anything to do with not knowing real dobs, all these guys lop years off their age, i dont think anyone apart from fakhar or misbah have real ages. the rest are all 2 years or more than they say.

nearly every village in pak keeps family trees, and down to the years at least you can go back to the twenties, in my village at least.

the only diff is when afghans do it everyone jumps on the bandwagon, but pak is as bad, only people start talking about beardy teenagers and what not.
    Last edited by ElRaja; 28th January 2020 at 01:54.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man this bowler looks very terrible and has an ugly action

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing special

He needs to be a damn good lower batsman to make it FC first

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Almost suffered a bad injury today as his knee dug in to the turf.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    So how crucial a role will be play in today's game?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Has a good action and a very good seam. He looks a good prospect and if he can pick up a couple miles, he will have a good career

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Don't rate him.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Don't rate him.
    This is the 1st time I have seen him and he looks decent. He doesn't use his height as he should but he has an excellent seam. He won't be much quicker than 85mph but that's decent with that seam.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Young all-rounder Abbas Afridi who featured in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2020, has been added in the Karachi Kings squad for the HBL Pakistan Super League 2021 that begins at the National Stadium Karachi on February 20.

Kings, the defending champions, had reserved their 18th pick at the Players Draft that was held in Lahore last month. Kings have now chosen Abbas as their 18th player and the 19-year-old would be a part of the Kings squad for the season.

Abbas was the leading wicket-taker for Pakistan U19 in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup, he took nine wickets in five matches.

Abbas represented Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the 2020-21 domestic season.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Makes his debut in PSL for Karachi Kings

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks average in first look. Let's see how he develops.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gets both Kamran Akmal and Tom Kohler-Cadmore in his 2nd over of PSL6! Instant impact

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_4life View Post
    Looks average in first look. Let's see how he develops.
    Outperformed Amir -the GOAT talent- in initial two overs. So Amir must be below average

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  f7b13d43-4d6a-4e95-914a-e4862ded3f6d.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  381.4 KB

2/17 so far in 3 overs

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
    Outperformed Amir -the GOAT talent- in initial two overs. So Amir must be below average
    Then you should compare him to Amirs actual Debut. Not sure how much cricket you have watched but generally new bowlers gets wickets its all about sustaining your performance And thats the reason I said let's see how he develops.
    But again I guess you are from the same band wagon who declares a player legend based on couple of matches.

Debut
    Jun 2003
    Venue
    Bradford UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you should compare him to Amirs actual Debut. Not sure how much cricket you have watched but generally new bowlers gets wickets its all about sustaining your performance And thats the reason I said let's see how he develops.
    But again I guess you are from the same band wagon who declares a player legend based on couple of matches.
    Yet you declared him average after 2 overs.

Well done.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What was his pace like?

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Muddaser because he looked average to me.. There are lot of bowlers who bowls like him.. What u wanted me to do hype him?

Debut
    Jun 2003
    Venue
    Bradford UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Muddaser because he looked average to me.. There are lot of bowlers who bowls like him.. What u wanted me to do hype him?
    So it's OK for you to call him average after 2 overs but wrong for people to hype after 2 matches?

Makes sense.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddaser View Post
    So it's OK for you to call him average after 2 overs but wrong for people to hype after 2 matches?

Makes sense.
    Alright .. will come back to this thread sometime in future. Let's see where he goes from here

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saad View Post
    What was his pace like?
    He hit 141 and hurried the batsman

Debut
    Jun 2003
    Venue
    Bradford UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright .. will come back to this thread sometime in future. Let's see where he goes from here
    I never said he was great.

Not the argument here.

You can call him average after 2 overs but others can't hype after 2 matches.

See the issue with that?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    24 year old pretending to be 19. So when he becomes international quality by age 27 he is already half way into his career. 3 years of decent performance up to 30 years old and career is finished.

What is this nonsense. When is the government going to do about this? Majority of the age fudgers are coming from KPK, will anything be done there to manage this? Put a blocker on domestic teams who provide age fudging players. PCB should carry out internal age verification on every single u16 player. The country might not able to fix this but PCB can surely take matters into their own hands.

This is corrupting the development of our youth players and probably the main reason why we have become so mediocre.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mean what was his average pace , 135 to 141k being the fastest?

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said he was great.

Not the argument here.

You can call him average after 2 overs but others can't hype after 2 matches.

See the issue with that?

Lol you and the other guy started the argument. I called him bang average and never said anything about others hyping him.
    It was my opinion and I still find him average.

Debut
    Jun 2003
    Venue
    Bradford UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol you and the other guy started the argument. I called him bang average and never said anything about others hyping him.
    It was my opinion and I still find him average.
    Show me where I started it.

I replied to your post.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show me where I started it.

I replied to your post.
    Yeah u jumped in conversation. Still Abbas Afridi is bang average bowler. Hopes he proves me wrong but for what I saw he won't succeed in International games.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saad View Post
    I mean what was his average pace , 135 to 141k being the fastest?
    He bowled at 144kph the odd delivery

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is Umar Gul's nephew.

Debut
    Jun 2003
    Venue
    Bradford UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah u jumped in conversation. Still Abbas Afridi is bang average bowler. Hopes he proves me wrong but for what I saw he won't succeed in International games.
    Its a Cricket forum. Theres no jumping into conversation here.

Abbas bowled better than Amir today. Says enough.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Just seen his spell, and once again lots to like. Needs to stay tall at the crease but bowled with decent pace and showed enough to suggest that we will see more in the future.