Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Kobe Bryant, the Los Angeles Lakers superstar and future NBA Hall of Famer, died on Sunday in a helicopter crash. He was 41.

Officials confirm to Variety that Bryant was a passenger on board a helicopter that crashed in the Los Angeles County suburb of Calabasas.

TMZ first reported the news.

A five-time NBA champion with the Lakers, Bryant was considered one of the greatest basketball players of all-time.

He is survived by his wife, Vanessa, and four daughters – Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and Capri.

Story developing…

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/ko...rs-1203480844/

Last edited by Abdullah719; 27th January 2020 at 00:24.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Mamba.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ohho what a sad end
    He was a legend in basketball

لاا اله الا الله استغفر الله سبحان الله وبحمده سبحان الله العظييم

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rip legend

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rah...

RIP

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Kobe. One of the greatest to have ever played.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am literally bout to cry right and I have not cried since I was a baby 😭 RIP

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking

Still can't believe it. He had everything and passed the torch to LeBron.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a basketball game in my life but I do know he was a legend in his sport and a hero to millions around the world.

What a terrible way to go and no age to go either. RIP.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Last tweet.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash - US media

US basketball legend Kobe Bryant has been killed in a helicopter crash in California, US media report.

Bryant was travelling in a private helicopter when it burst into flames above the city of Calabasas, according to the reports.

The LA County Sheriff's department said that five people died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas on Sunday, with no survivors.

It did not immediately publish any names.

It said it received reports of the crash at about 10:00 local time (18:00 GMT).

Five-time NBA champion Bryant, 41, played his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers. He retired in April 2016.

Bryant's achievements include being the 2008 NBA Most Valuable Player and two-time NBA Finals MVP. He was also two-time NBA scoring champion and a two-time Olympic champion.

He also won an Oscar for best short animated film in 2018 for for Dear Basketball, a five-minute film based on a love letter to the sport he had written in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world...mpression=true

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Wow this is depressing

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wthh so sad..

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Inna lillahi wa inna illahi rajioon

I'm shocked right now

Mamba Out

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lakers legend Rick Fox was also reported to be on the chopper

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1061 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So devastating and tragic. Rest in peace legend.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't expect to hear this news. Tragic!

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TMZ is reporting that one of the other victims is his daughter. They were on their way to basketball practice. Awful to lose both your husband/father, and daughter/sister on the same day.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, wow wow. Cant believe it omg. After my near accident yesterday this happens. Hard time for us leos, rip kobe may your legacy live forever.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable. Watched him play so many times on tv. I hated Lakers so much.

Sad way to go. One of the most decent basketball players I have seen. Well spoken and an ATG.

RIP LEGEND

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am going to miss this dude. He is one of my key memory in my US life.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His daughter Gigi also died. RIP.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    TMZ is reporting that one of the other victims is his daughter. They were on their way to basketball practice. Awful to lose both your husband/father, and daughter/sister on the same day.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP.

Not gonna lie, I really didn't know much about this guy except that he was a legendary basketballer.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RIP legend.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RIP Kobe.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is happening in 2020

The US embassy has been directly attacked by rockets today. Usually the rockets hit around the green zone but not directly at the embassy. Iranian proxies have been trying to do that since June 2019 and have actually done it today. Many Americans have been reported to be injured. And then we get this news.

Seriously what is happening?

I thought 2019 was bad.
    Last edited by The Viper; 27th January 2020 at 04:18.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a sad news.

A whole generation mourns. That's life, fellas.

RIP legend. Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raji'un.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP.
    His only 13 years old daughter died as well.
    Extremely sad. I can't imagine what the family must be going through.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking and tragic news!

I had the pleasure of watching him in person. He took the game away from the opposition in the last minute with a couple of amazing shots. What a player. Truly a legend!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    RIP.
    His only 13 years old daughter died as well.
    Extremely sad. I can't imagine what the family must be going through.
    He has 4 daughters. The eldest one who is 13 also died. His youngest one was born in 2019.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OH man, I dont follow basketball but this is soo sad. Kobe is a Philly boy too, RIP champ.. Thoughts and prayers for your soul and family ...

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kobe's Oscar award winning short film really hits hard.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So sad RIP

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    In your head
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Such a tragic day.

Kobe was the ultimate professional he played with that mamba mentality every night for such a long storied career.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocked is an understatement. RIP Mamba & Gigi!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US basketball legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna are among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in the city of Calabasas, California.

Bryant, 41, was travelling in a private helicopter when it came down and burst into flames.

The LA county sheriff said there were no survivors.

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion, played for the LA Lakers throughout his career and is considered one of the greatest players in the game's history.

Tributes from celebrities and fellow sports stars have been pouring in, many expressing shock at his sudden death.

Moments of silence have been observed at basketball games across the US.

Bryant has also been remembered at the Grammy Awards which are being held at the Los Angeles Lakers' stadium.

"We're all feeling crazy sadness right now," said Grammys host Alicia Keys.

"Because earlier today Los Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a hero. We're literally standing here heartbroken in the house that Kobe Bryant built."

The NBA issued a statement saying it was "devastated by the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna" aged 13.

"For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning," it said.

What do we know about the crash?
    Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the helicopter manifest indicated that nine people were on board when it crashed, raising the number from five in earlier statements by officials.

In a statement on Sunday afternoon, the City of Calabasas said it heard the news "with great sadness".

"The aircraft went down in a remote field off Las Virgenes around 10:00 this morning. Nobody on the ground was hurt," it added.

Gavin Masak, who lives nearby, told CBS News of the moment the helicopter crashed.

"It wasn't exactly like an explosion sound but it was like a loud boom. It sounded like a helicopter, but it sounded like a jet, like it was loud, so I went inside and told my dad what was happening. So when I came out I saw smoke on the hill but it wasn't like a big, black cloud of smoke, it was just grey," he said.

Other eyewitnesses told celebrity news site TMZ they heard the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down.

The LA County Sheriff's Department shared pictures from the scene of the accident, showing a fire truck and smoke emerging from the hills.

The National Transportation Safety Board identified the crashed helicopter as a Sikorsky S-76B and said it was sending a team to investigate the crash.

Police have asked people to stay away from the crash site in order not to interfere with the investigation.

Who was Bryant?
    Bryant played his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers. He retired in April 2016.

His achievements include being the 2008 NBA Most Valuable Player and two-time NBA Finals MVP. He was also NBA scoring champion twice and a two-time Olympic champion.

He famously scored 81 points against the Toronto Raptors in 2006, the second-highest single-game total in NBA history.

He also won an Oscar for best short animated film in 2018 for Dear Basketball, a five-minute film based on a love letter to the sport he had written in 2015.

Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, have three other daughters, Natalia, Bianca and Capri.

Bryant was accused of sexual assault in 2003 by a 19-year-old woman working at a Colorado resort. He denied the allegation, saying the two had consensual sex. The case was dropped after the accuser refused to testify in court.

He later apologised, saying he recognised that "she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did." A subsequent civil suit was settled out of court.

What has the reaction been?
    Tributes for the sports star poured in on social media following news of the crash.

Shaquille O'Neal, who played alongside Bryant at the Lakers between 1996 and 2004, said there were "no words to express the pain I'm going through".

"I love you and you will be missed," he wrote on Instagram alongside a photo of the pair in their Lakers kits.

Deron Williams, who won an Olympic gold alongside Bryant, said he was lost for words. He described Bryant as "the greatest competitor I have ever gone up against and played with."

Former basketball player Tony Parker said he was "heartbroken".

"Terrible news," tweeted US President Donald Trump.

"He loved his family so much, and had such strong passion for the future. The loss of his beautiful daughter, Gianna, makes this moment even more devastating."

Former US President Barack Obama described Bryant as "a legend on the court" and said he was "just getting started in what would have been just as meaningful a second act".

Eight-time Olympic gold medallist sprinter Usain Bolt said he could not believe the news.

Rapper Kanye West tweeted his appreciation for "the life you've lived and all the inspiration you gave".

Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling wrote "rest easy legend" in a tweet accompanied by a black-and-white photo of the sports star.

"This is absolutely terrible. Everyone is numb," American actress and model Chrissy Teigen tweeted.

Pop star Mariah Carey said she was in shock.

Fans gathered at a makeshift memorial for Bryant in front of the Staples Center sports and entertainment arena in Los Angeles, laying flowers and basketballs in memory of the star.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51256756

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the saddest days of my life. Kobe was much more than basketball.

He was the Michael Jordan of my era and to see him leave so soon is heartbreaking. One of the greats of the game & an amazing human off the court.

Today is truly a depressing and dark day.

Rest easy Mamba.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My childhood hero and idol. Lost a close friend this past Tuesday now this. It's been a rough week. RIP Kobe Bean Bryant, Gigi Bryant, and all those who sadly perished in the copter crash. Legends never die.
    Last edited by Obeid; 27th January 2020 at 10:58.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Neymar paid tribute to late basketball legend Kobe Bryant with a goal celebration in Paris St-Germain's win at Lille.

Confirmation of the five-time NBA champion's death in a helicopter crash came during the Ligue 1 game.

Neymar gave PSG the lead with a 20-yard curling effort in the first half.

After scoring a second-half penalty, he held up two fingers on one hand and four on the other, marking Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers shirt number 24.

The Brazil international, who is a basketball fan and had met Bryant, also bowed and pointed to the sky.

He also wrote an Instagram post after the game calling Bryant, who was 41, a legend.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51254981

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So according to LA TIMEs it was likely cause of foggy weather, the LAPD had grounded all their choppers at the time and Kobe's former pilot said this aircraft was too good to experience a twin engine failure. This was certainly an avoidable accident but I guess somethings are just meant to be.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2419 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    RIP.

Never saw him play, but I've seen some of his work around and he was really wise, inspirational and loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Shocking news.

It is hard to imagine how his wife and daughters must be feeling right now. One of the greatest NBA icons and also one of the biggest sporting legends.

These type of events puts life into perspective. Everything can go away in an instant. He congratulated LeBron James on Twitter for breaking his record only a few hours before his death.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US basketball legend Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash in California, sparking an outpouring of grief from fans around the world.

Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, were among the nine killed when the aircraft came down in Calabasas.

The LA county sheriff said there were no survivors from Sunday's crash.

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion, played for the LA Lakers throughout his career and is considered one of the greatest players in the game's history.

Tributes from celebrities and fellow sports stars have been pouring in, many expressing shock at his sudden death. Moments of silence have been observed at basketball games across the US.

Bryant has also been remembered at the Grammy Awards which are being held at the Los Angeles Lakers' stadium.

"We're all feeling crazy sadness right now," said Grammys host Alicia Keys. "Because earlier today Los Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a hero. We're literally standing here heartbroken in the house that Kobe Bryant built."

The NBA issued a statement saying it was "devastated by the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna".

"For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning," it said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51263718

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Michael Jordan has led the tributes to fellow NBA legend Kobe Bryant after his death in a helicopter crash at the age of 41.

Fans of the LA Lakers hero from across the worlds of sport, entertainment, politics and beyond have expressed their shock at his sudden passing, as well as current and former basketball greats.

Bryant was one of nine people killed when the private helicopter came down in Calabasas, California, on Sunday, with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna among the victims.

Jordan, widely regarded as the greatest basketball player of all-time, has described Bryant as "one of the greats of the game and a creative force".

He said in a statement: "I am in shock over the tragic news of Kobe's and Gianna's passing. Words can't describe the pain I'm feeling."

Jordan added: "I loved Kobe - he was like a brother to me. We used to talk often, and I will miss those conversations very much. He was a fierce competitor, one of the greats of the game and a creative force.

"Kobe was also an amazing dad who loved his family deeply - and took great pride in his daughter's love for the game of basketball."

Another legend quick to pay tribute was Bryant's former Lakers teammate Shaquille O'Neal, who tweeted: "There's no words to express the pain Im going through with this tragedy of loosing my neice Gigi & my brother @kobebryant.

"I love u and u will be missed. My condolences goes out to the Bryant family and the families of the other passengers on board. IM SICK RIGHT NOW."

Former Lakers president Magic Johnson said he was "in disbelief" and had been "crying all morning".

"It's hard to accept. Kobe was a leader of our game, a mentor to both male and female players," he added.

Golfer Tiger Woods was a friend of Bryant's and played the final round at the Farmers Insurers Open in San Diego unaware that he had died.

His caddie Joe LaCava broke the news to him at the end of his round, having refrained from telling him between holes, prompting a clearly shocked Woods to exclaim: "Excuse me?"

Afterwards, Woods, a lifelong Lakers fan, told reporters: "He came in the league and I turned pro right around the same time and we had our 20-year run together.

"It's a shocker to everyone, unbelievably sad, and one of the more tragic days. I was just told about five minutes ago.

"Life is very fragile as we all know. You can be gone at any given time and we have to appreciate the moments that we have. I just can't imagine what his family's going through right now."

With the 62nd Grammy Awards taking place at the Staples Center, the same arena where Bryant became a Lakers legend, the biggest night in music opened with a tribute to the NBA star.

Host Alicia Keys said: "We're all feeling crazy sadness right now. Because earlier today Los Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a hero."

Other Bryant fans from around the world have paid tribute on social media.

Sprinter Usain Bolt said he "still can't believe" the news and shared a picture of himself with the LA Lakers superstar.

Rapper Kanye West tweeted a picture of himself with the basketball star and posted: "Kobe, We love you brother We're praying for your family and appreciate the life you've lived and all the inspiration you gave."

Comedian Kevin Hart wrote: "This honestly doesn't make sense... I just saw you man. This hurts my heart."

Actress Whoopi Goldberg said the star was a "hero to many including my grandson, extraordinary athlete and always kind to me & my family".

In an Instagram post, Justin Bieber wrote: "You always encouraged me mamba. Gave me me some of the best quotes that we smile about to this day."

Bryant's nickname during and after his career was Black Mamba.

Bieber also shared an old photograph of the pair smiling together.

Singer Demi Lovato wrote on Instagram: "Kobe you were always so sweet to me. Known you over 10 years.. not super well but we always joked about you coming over and playing that game of horse!"

Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry hailed Bryant as an "inspiration" and tweeted two photos of the pair meeting.

He said: "Literally devastated to hear the news about @kobebryant, his daughter Gianna and all those on board the helicopter crash. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and also of the other victims."

Cristiano Ronaldo called Bryant a "true legend and inspiration", and Lionel Messi posted on Instagram: "I have no words ... All my love for Kobe's family and friends.

"It was a pleasure to meet you and share good times together. You were a genius like few others."

Stars of tennis have also expressed their disbelief at Bryant's sudden death, as many of the sport's top pros continue to compete at the Australian Open.

Novak Djokovic, who will play his quarter-final in Melbourne on Tuesday, was among those who knew Bryant and had spoken of their friendship in a TV interview just a few days ago.

He wrote on Instagram: "My heart truly mourns over the news today. Kobe was a great mentor and friend. There are not enough words to express my deepest sympathies to the Bryants and every family suffering from this tragedy."

Rafael Nadal added his condolences on Twitter, saying: "I woke up this morning with the horrible news of the tragic death of one of the greatest sportsman in the world. Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and other passengers. My condolences to his wife and families. I am in shock."

In a post on Instagram stories, Andy Murray wrote: "This has hit me hard. Thinking of all his family, friends and colleagues."

Rafa Nadal
    ✔ @RafaelNadal
    I woke up this morning with the horrible news of the tragic death of one of the greatest sportsman in the world. Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and other passengers. My condolences to his wife and families. I am in shock.

3:01 AM - Jan 27, 2020 Melbourne, Victoria
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    7,994 people are talking about this
    US gymnast Simone Biles also posted a photo of herself with the NBA star and other members of the American gymnastics team.

And the children's TV programme Sesame Street remembered its "friend" Bryant, who appeared on the show to explain the word "miniature" with the help of Abby Cadabby.

Bryant was an 18-time All Star and named the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2008.

When he announced his plans to retire in 2015, he was described by NBA commissioner Adam Silver as "one of the greatest players in the history of our game".

On his retirement, Bryant wrote a poem called "Dear Basketball", which was later turned into an acclaimed animated film narrated by the player.

The short film won an Oscar for Best Animated Short Film in 2018.

British actor Idris Elba said Bryant "would always be remembered" for his life on and off the court - and US presidents past and present have also paid tribute.

Actor Ben Affleck also paid tribute and said the tragedy "reminds us just how short and precious life is, and a reason to be grateful and celebrate life while we can".

Leonardo DiCaprio tweeted: "Kobe was truly larger than life, a legend. May he and all those who lost their lives today rest in peace. Love and condolences to his family. LA will never be the same."

Donald Trump tweeted: "Kobe Bryant, despite being one of the truly great basketball players of all time, was just getting started in life. He loved his family so much, and had such strong passion for the future.

"The loss of his beautiful daughter, Gianna, makes this moment even more devastating. Melania and I send our warmest condolences to Vanessa and the wonderful Bryant family. May God be with you all!"

His predecessor Barack Obama said: "Kobe was a legend on the court and just getting started in what would have been just as meaningful a second act. To lose Gianna is even more heartbreaking to us as parents.

"Michelle and I send love and prayers to Vanessa and the entire Bryant family on an unthinkable day."

Earlier on Sunday, the NBA Twitter account shared footage of Bryant and fellow NBA star LeBron James, who had surpassed Bryant to become the league's third-highest scorer of all time.

Other NBA stars have also shared tributes to the legend.

NBA Hall of Famer Larry Bird said: "Kobe was not only an icon in the sports arena, he was a man of the world and touched so many lives and communities in the most positive ways.

"His star was continuing to rise every day and he knew no limits because of his many intellectual and creative talents and desire to give back to others - his passion for the game, for his family and for others was apparent in everything he accomplished."

And Pau Gasol, who won two of his championship titles with Bryant, tweeted: "Beyond devastated... my big brother... I can't, I just can't believe it."

Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player Bill Russell wrote: "I'm at a loss for words. @kobebryant was a long-time friend, an inspiration and we shared our first ever commercial @espn together as professionals. I love you forever. #RIPMAMBA"

The Orlando Magic, who are facing the Los Angeles Clippers tonight, said they would hold a moment of silence before the game in honour of Bryant.

During the game between San Antonio Spurs and Toronto Raptors, the players paid a fitting tribute to the star by letting the 24-second shot clock run out to start the game in honour of Kobe, who wore number 24 throughout the latter half of his career with the Lakers.

As the clock ran down, fans of both sides chanted Kobe's name.

https://news.sky.com/story/kobe-brya...ation-11918825

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    His daughter Gigi also died. RIP.
    I hope it was quick, can't imagine anything worse than being in a doomed chopper with your daughter. What his family must be feeling God only knows. I don't follow American sports, but I can't think of a more tragic celebrity death than this one.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so sad. He inspired many people (including me). I still remember watching him play live and he knew how to entertain people. His mentality and hardwork is just fantastic. On top of that his daughter GIGI died too. She was a mini Kobe. She played good basketball and would have carried Kobe's legacy. I am sad, heartbroken and mad. You will always be the greatest and there will always be one BLACKMAMBA
    RIP KOBE & GIGI

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Dense fog is set to be a key line of investigation into the crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.

The basketball legend, his daughter Gianna and seven others died when the aircraft crashed into a hillside in southern California at about 9.45am on Sunday.

Los Angeles Police and the sheriff's department had both grounded their helicopters in the morning because of the weather.

A police spokesman told the LA Times the conditions "did not meet our minimum standards for flying", while a pilot who used to fly Bryant said the weather was almost certainly to blame.

"The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure on that aircraft - it just doesn't happen," Kurt Deetz told the paper.

The helicopter was held up to allow for other aircraft and circled for about 15 minutes until it got clearance from air traffic controllers to continue.

The controllers mention poor visibility around the Burbank and Van Nuys areas, but the pilot talks to controllers normally before communication suddenly goes dead near the crash site at Calabasas.

An audio recording reveals the pilot was told "you're too low for flight following at this time" seconds before the helicopter disappeared from radar.

It's understood 'flight following' is a US aerospace term for monitoring on radar systems, which the pilot appears to have requested.

Seconds later, the helicopter disappears from radar.

It was travelling at speed - 153knots (176mph) - when it crashed into the hillside, according to tracking site Flightradar24.

The Federal Aviation Authority said the aircraft was a Sikorsky S-76.

Bryant, 41, often used a helicopter to get to games at the Staples Center - the Los Angeles Lakers' home arena.

He reportedly found it more comfortable than fitting his 6ft 6in frame into a car for several hours and referred to it as the "Mamba Chopper" after his nickname.

The S-76 has a strong safety record, mainly attributed to its two engines which power the main rotor and tail rotors.

Aerospace giant Lockheed Martin, which makes the helicopter, released a statement saying more than 875 had been delivered globally, with many used for critical missions such as search and rescue and air ambulances.

It said the aircraft had notched up "more than 7.4 million hours of safe, successful flight".

Justin Green, an New York aviation lawyer who flew in the Marine Corps, said pilots can become disoriented in poor visibility and lose track of which direction is up.

However, he added that an S-76 pilot would be instrument-rated and therefore should be able to fly "blind" - just relying on the read-outs and without visual cues.

Bryant and the others in the chopper were understood to have been heading to a children's basketball tournament organised by a sport foundation that Bryant set up.

There were no survivors.

Other victims named so far include Orange Coast College head baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa - who played on the same basketball team as Bryant's daughter.

The girls' coach Christina Mauser also died, her husband confirmed.

Debris is spread out over an area the size of a football field and the rugged terrain is expected to complicate recovery efforts.

Gianna was one of four daughters Bryant had with wife Vanessa.

The teenager played basketball in the Los Angeles Lady Mamba team. His other daughters were Natalia, Bianka and Capri.

Orange Coast College paid tribute to baseball coach, John Altobelli, 56, who died with his wife and daughter.

It said: "John meant so much to not only Orange Coast College, but to baseball. He truly personified what it means to be a baseball coach.

"The passion that he put into the game, but more importantly his athletes, was second to none - he treated them like family. Our deepest condolences go out to the Altobelli family during this time of tragedy."

The husband of basketball coach Christine Mauser posted on Facebook: "My kids and I are devastated.

"We lost our beautiful wife and mom today in a helicopter crash. Please respect our privacy. Thank you for all the well wishes they mean so much."

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Bryant had "inspired people around the world to pick up a basketball".

Fans of the LA Lakers hero from across the worlds of sport, entertainment, politics and beyond have expressed their shock at the tragedy.

Michael Jordan, widely regarded as the greatest basketball player of all-time, said in a statement that "words can't describe the pain I'm feeling" and that Bryant was like a "brother".

Bryant's former Lakers teammate, Shaquille O'Neal, tweeted: "There's no words to express the pain Im going through with this tragedy of losing my niece Gigi & my brother @kobebryant."

The basketball star's final tweet came on Saturday night, when current Lakers talisman LeBron James overtook him in the all-time scoring ranking during a match in Bryant's hometown of Philadelphia.

Bryant tweeted: "Continuing to move the game forward @kingjames. Much respect my brother."

James has yet to comment publicly on Bryant's death but was seen in tears as he arrived back at LA airport after the Lakers played in Philadelphia.

Bryant's legend beyond basketball has been apparent in the huge number of tributes from outside across the sporting world, as well as politics, music and film.

Lionel Messi, Barack Obama, Tiger Woods, Kanye West and Leonardo DiCaprio are just a few of those who've paid tribute to the basketball great.

People have also gathered outside the Lakers' home, the Staples Center, where he created so many memories for Lakers fans.

Professional golfer Tiger Woods gets news of Kobe Bryant's death five minutes before an interview.

One wreath outside the arena read: "Kobe we love you RIP."

Some of those in the crowd dabbed tears as others laid flowers and basketball shoes at the wreath.

The tragedy also overshadowed the Grammy Awards, which were held at the Staples Center on Sunday night.

Host Alicia Keys said: "We're all feeling crazy sadness right now. Because earlier today Los Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a hero."

Among his honours, the five-time NBA championship winner claimed 18 NBA All-Star selections and two Olympic gold medals.

Following his retirement in 2016 as the third-leading scorer in NBA history, the Lakers retired the shirt numbers he had worn during his career - eight and 24.

https://news.sky.com/story/kobe-brya...crash-11919114
    Last edited by MenInG; 1st February 2020 at 14:24.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    More than one million people have backed a petition to use Kobe Bryant's image as a new official NBA logo.

Bryant, considered to be one of the greatest basketball players in the game's history, died in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday.

He was flying with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, who also died.

The current logo was designed by Alan Siegel, and features the silhouette of another great LA Lakers player Jerry West, who is 81 years old.

Writing on Change.org, the petition's founder Nick M said: "With the untimely and unexpected passing of the great Kobe Bryant please sign this petition in an attempt to immortalise him forever as the new NBA logo."

Supporters have also tweeted their own versions of the logo, mocked up with Bryant's silhouette.

Apart from a tweak to the font in 2017, the logo for the National Basketball Association has been the same since it was first designed in 1971.

It is not clear whether the organisation would consider updating its logo with Bryant's silhouette.

West, who was also once the LA Laker's general manager, is yet to comment on the campaign.

However, West did pay heartfelt tribute to Bryant after news of his death was confirmed, telling CBS News he felt as though he had lost a son.

"This loss of Kobe, Gianna, and everyone on board, is beyond tragic and incomprehensible," he later said in a statement. "I will love Kobe forever and always cherish the time that I spent with him.

"I watched him grow from an energetic kid into the man he became, making a difference in so many people's life. He has left the world a better place."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51275170

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no thank you, I was a Kobe fan and he's among the greats of the game but lets not destory basketball tradition and replace Jerry West as the logo cause he was a legend in his own right plus Kobe had a serious rape allegation albeit 17 years ago but still that should alone disqualify him from ever replacing Jerry West.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is truly dreadful. Condolences to the family members, friends and colleagues who survive him. That his young daughter also perished in the incident is unbelievably tragic. Just unthinkable.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Yeah no thank you, I was a Kobe fan and he's among the greats of the game but lets not destory basketball tradition and replace Jerry West as the logo cause he was a legend in his own right plus Kobe had a serious rape allegation albeit 17 years ago but still that should alone disqualify him from ever replacing Jerry West.
    C'mon right after his death too give it some time atleast

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that will be too much to change NBA's logo to Kobe's image. It is like ICC changing its logo to Tendulkar's photo.

Kobe was a legend and this was a tragic death but changing NBA's logo is not needed.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Must admit to not having heard of Mr Bryant before.

I cannot image knowing that your child is going to die and there is nothing you can do. A horror above all others.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The recovery of bodies from the scene of a helicopter crash that killed basketball great Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven other people is proving "very difficult", investigators have said.

Los Angeles County sheriff Alex Villanueva said the "rugged terrain" of the hillside crash site meant it would take some time for all of the victims' bodies to be recovered and officially identified.

Nine people on board the helicopter - including Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna - died in the crash in Calabasas, about 40 miles outside Los Angeles, on Sunday.

Mr Villanueva said: "The coroner... started recovering human remains last night and they're continuing (that process) for the next several days.

"It's rugged terrain and it's a very steep hill. In fact, they had to bulldoze a road just to get a normal-size vehicle to the location, so it is very difficult."

Investigators from LA County coroner's office said they had recovered the first three bodies from the crash site and were searching for more remains.

Former LA Lakers star Bryant - considered one of the greatest basketball players of all time - and Gianna were on their way to a girls' basketball tournament at a sports academy, where he was to have coached his daughter's team that day.

The victims of the crash also included Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa, who played on the same basketball team as Gianna.

The girls' coach Christina Mauser also died, her husband confirmed.

Jennifer Homendy, from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), appealed to the public to come forward with any photographs that might help document local weather conditions at the time of the crash.

But she told reporters that weather was just one factor in the investigation into the crash.

"We take a broad look at everything in an investigation - man, machine and the environment. And weather is just a small portion of that," Ms Homendy said.

She described how bits of the aircraft - a section of the fuselage, a piece of the tail, a rotor and other debris - were strewn around an impact crater where the helicopter slammed into a tall grassy slope.

"It was a pretty devastating accident scene," she said.

Both the Los Angeles Police Department and county sheriff's department had grounded their own helicopters at the time that Bryant's aircraft crashed, and it had received a safety warning moments before the deadly incident.

An audio recording revealed the pilot, Ara Zobayan, was told "you're too low for flight following at this time" seconds before the helicopter disappeared from radar.

It is understood that the pilot had requested "flight following", which is a US aerospace term for radar monitoring.

Mr Zobayan has been described as an "experienced pilot" who had 8,200 hours of flight time under his belt, and had been climbing to avoid a cloud layer before the chopper crashed.

The helicopter - identified by the Federal Aviation Authority as a Sikorsky S-76 - was travelling at 153 knots (176mph) when it crashed, according to tracking site Flightradar24.

Tributes continued to pour in from the sporting world and beyond following the crash, as the NBA called off the Los Angeles Lakers' match against the LA Clippers on Tuesday.

Basketball star LeBron James, who plays for the LA Lakers, broke his silence over Bryant's death on Tuesday, saying he was "heartbroken" and he had cried every time he had attempted to pen a tribute to his friend.

He said on Instagram: "I'm not ready but here I go. Man I sitting here trying to write something for this post but every time I try I begin crying again just thinking about you, niece Gigi and the friendship/bond/brotherhood we had!

"I literally just heard your voice Sunday morning before I left Philly to head back to LA. Didn't think for one bit in a million years that would be the last conversation we'd have."

He added: "I'm heartbroken and devastated my brother!! Man I love you big bro. My heart goes to Vanessa and the kids. I promise you I'll continue your legacy man! You mean so much to us all here especially #LakerNation."

On Monday night, the Empire State Building in New York was lit up purple and gold - the colours of the LA Lakers - to honour Bryant.

The 41-year-old, who spent his entire playing career with the Lakers, was a five-time NBA championship winner with 18 NBA All-Star selections and two Olympic gold medals.

Following his retirement in 2016 as the third-leading scorer in NBA history, the Lakers retired the shirt numbers he had worn during his career - eight and 24.

https://news.sky.com/story/kobe-brya...crash-11919681

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Say Hi to the new generation.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Have you heard of Michael Jordan lol?
    In passing. Couldn’t tell you who he played for.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Must admit to not having heard of Mr Bryant before.
    Same here...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LOS ANGELES — The bodies of Kobe Bryant and three other people killed when a helicopter smashed into a foggy Los Angeles-hillside have been identified, the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Tuesday.

Fingerprints were used to confirm the identity of Bryant, 41, along with John Altobelli, 56; Sarah Chester, 45, and the pilot, 50-year-old Ara Zobayan, the Medical Examiner-Coroner reported.

While the department had not yet formally identified five other victims, relatives and acquaintances have identified them as Bryant's 13-year-old daughter, Gianna; Sarah Chester's 13-year-old daughter Payton; Altobelli's wife, Keri, and daughter, Alyssa; and Christina Mauser, a girls' basketball coach at a Southern California elementary school.

The last of the bodies and the wreckage were recovered from the Calabasas hillside on Tuesday, authorities said.

Determining what caused the crash will take months, federal investigators said at an afternoon news conference.

The helicopter descended for about a minute before crashing. It was traveling at more than 2,000 feet a minute when it hit the ground, “so we know that this was a high-energy impact crash," but it appeared that the aircraft was in one piece when it struck the ground, the National Transportation Safety Board's Jennifer Homendy said.

However, it is too soon to determine whether the pilot was still in control of the aircraft during that descent, she said.

The pilot was well-acquainted with the skies over Los Angeles and accustomed to flying celebrities.

Zobayan had spent thousands of hours ferrying passengers through one of the nation’s busiest air spaces and training students how to fly a helicopter. Friends and colleagues described him as skilled, cool and collected, the very qualities you want in a pilot.

His decision to proceed in deteriorating visibility, though, has experts and fellow pilots wondering if he flew beyond the boundaries of good judgment and whether pressure to get his superstar client where he wanted to go played a role in the crash.

Jerry Kidrick, a retired Army colonel who flew helicopters in Iraq and now teaches at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Arizona, said there can be pressure to fly VIPs despite poor conditions, a situation he experienced when flying military brass in bad weather.

“The perceived pressure is, ‘Man, if I don’t go, they’re going to find somebody who will fly this thing,’ ” Kidrick said.

The chartered Sikorsky S-76B plowed into a cloud-shrouded hillside as the retired NBA star was on his way to a youth basketball basketball tournament in which Gianna was playing.. The last of the nine bodies was recovered Tuesday.

NTSB investigators have said Zobayan asked for and received permission from air traffic controllers to proceed in the fog. In his last radio transmission before the helicopter went down, he reported that he was climbing to avoid a cloud layer.

Investigators have yet to establish the cause of the crash and have not faulted his decision to press on or explained why he chose to do so.

Randy Waldman, a Los Angeles helicopter flight instructor who viewed tracking data of the flight’s path and saw a photo of the dense fog in the area at the time, speculated that Zobayan got disoriented in the clouds, a common danger for pilots.

He said Zobayan should have turned around or landed but may have felt the pressure to reach his destination, an occupational hazard for pilots often referred to as “got-to-get-there-itis” or “get-home-itis.”

MOST POPULAR
    photo
    Secretive 'teen-mob' parties ransack Santa Rosa homes, terrify owners
    photo
    Kobe Bryant's body, other crash victims ID'd
    photo
    Police monitoring Santa Rosa intersection for speeders, red-light runners
    photo
    Pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter tried to climb to avoid fog so heavy that it grounded police choppers
    photo
    Petaluma man sentenced to 100 years to life for molesting two children at daycare

“Somebody who’s a wealthy celebrity who can afford a helicopter to go places, the reason they take the helicopter is so they can get from A to B quickly with no hassle,” Waldman said. “Anybody that flies for a living there’s sort of an inherent pressure to get the job done because if too many times they go, ‘No, I don’t think I can fly, the weather’s getting bad or it’s too windy,’ ... they’re going to lose their job.”

Helicopter pilot Kurt Deetz said he flew Bryant dozens of times over a two-year period ending in 2017, often to games at Staples Center, and never remembered the Lakers star or his assistants pressing him to fly in bad weather.

“There was never any pressure Kobe put on any pilot to get somewhere — never, never,” Deetz said. “I think he really understood professionalism. `You do your job. I trust you.' ”

Deetz said that he flew with Zobayan a half-dozen times and that he was familiar with airspace and terrain around Los Angeles and knew “the back doors” -- alternative routes in case of trouble, such as changes in the weather.

Others who knew Zobayan praised him as unflappable and skilled at the controls.

“Helicopters are scary machines, but he really knew what he was doing,” said Gary Johnson, vice president of airplane parts manufacturer Ace Clearwater Enterprises, who had flown with Zobayan about 30 times in roughly eight years. “I wouldn’t do it unless he was the pilot.”

Homendy said investigators in the crash that killed Bryant will be looking at everything, from the pilot’s history and actions to the condition of the helicopter. “We look at man, machine and the environment,” she said. “And weather is just a small portion of that.”

Zobayan was chief pilot for the craft’s owner, Island Express Helicopters. He also was a flight instructor, had more than 8,000 hours of flight time and had flown Bryant and other celebrities several times before, including Kylie Jenner.

He even had a bit TV part when he and actor Lorenzo Lamas, a fellow pilot, flew the ex-girlfriend of comedian Andy Dick around in a chopper for an episode of “Celebrity Wife Swap.”

Island Express has had three previous helicopter crashes since 1985, two of them fatal, according to the NTSB'’s accident database. All involved flights to or from the company’s main destination of Santa Catalina Island, about 20 miles off the Southern California coast.

RELATED STORIES
    photo
    Pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter tried to climb to avoid fog so heavy that it grounded police choppers
    photo
    Remembering the 9 victims in the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash
    photo
    Remembering Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

In 2008, three people were killed and three injured when an Island Express helicopter was destroyed as it came in for a landing on the island. Investigators said the chopper lost power, probably as a result of cracking in turbine blades inside the engine.

In 1985, an Island Express helicopter returning from the island collided with another chopper near a landing pad in Los Angeles. One person died and 11 were injured.

Fatal helicopter accidents have fluctuated between 17 and 30 a year since 2013, according to a safety group that includes representatives of the helicopter industry and the Federal Aviation Administration. The rate of accidents per hours flown has declined slightly over that time.

The Federal Aviation Administration warns helicopter pilots that it is their job to decide whether to cancel a flight because of bad weather or other risks, and to have a backup plan in case weather worsens during the flight.

Inclement weather has been cited as a cause of other deadly celebrity helicopter crashes.

Grammy-winning blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan was among five people killed in 1990 when their helicopter slammed into a hill in dense fog after leaving a concert in Wisconsin. Music promoter Bill Graham and two others, including the pilot, were killed when the pilot ignored warnings not to fly in rain and fog and flew into power lines outside San Francisco in 1991.

Bret Mosher, a commercial jet pilot in the Los Angeles area, said some plane owners pressure him to fly solo rather than with the added expense of another pilot.

“Typically these owners, they are successful people in business, they’re type-A personalities. They are make-it-happen, get-it-done personalities,” Mosher said. “A couple of them have said half-joking and half-serious -– well, probably more than half-serious -- ‘Aren’t you tough enough?’ or ‘Aren’t you trained well enough?’ or ‘Aren’t you good enough?' "

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...eeling?sba=AAS

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Kobe. Tragic for all the people who died.

I only knew him due to the Turkish Airlines ad most probably.

But what disgusts me is the PR stunt alot of people are doing by showcasing his past history. May they all burn in hell

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    lc(100% - 2px);">
    ne; width:100%;" target="_blank">
    rmal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram

rmal; font-weightrmal; line-height:17px; text-decorationne; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">My girls and I want to thank the millions of people who’ve shown support and love during this horrific time. Thank you for all the prayers. We definitely need them. We are completely devastated by the sudden loss of my adoring husband, Kobe — the amazing father of our children; and my beautiful, sweet Gianna — a loving, thoughtful, and wonderful daughter, and amazing sister to Natalia, Bianka, and Capri. We are also devastated for the families who lost their loved ones on Sunday, and we share in their grief intimately. There aren’t enough words to describe our pain right now. I take comfort in knowing that Kobe and Gigi both knew that they were so deeply loved. We were so incredibly blessed to have them in our lives. I wish they were here with us forever. They were our beautiful blessings taken from us too soon. I’m not sure what our lives hold beyond today, and it’s impossible to imagine life without them. But we wake up each day, trying to keep pushing because Kobe, and our baby girl, Gigi, are shining on us to light the way. Our love for them is endless — and that’s to say, immeasurable. I just wish I could hug them, kiss them and bless them. Have them here with us, forever. Thank you for sharing your joy, your grief and your support with us. We ask that you grant us the respect and privacy we will need to navigate this new reality. To honor our Team Mamba family, the Mamba Sports Foundation has set up the MambaOnThree Fund to help support the other families affected by this tragedy. To donate, please go to MambaOnThree.org. To further Kobe and Gianna’s legacy in youth sports, please visit MambaSportsFoundation.org. Thank you so much for lifting us up in your prayers, and for loving Kobe, Gigi, Natalia, Bianka, Capri and me. #Mamba #Mambacita #GirlsDad #DaddysGirls #Family ❤️

wrap;">A post shared by rmal; font-weightrmal; line-height:17px;" target="_blank"> Vanessa Bryant �� (@vanessabryant) on

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tragic RIP big fella

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The company that owns the helicopter that was carrying basketball great Kobe Bryant, his daughter and seven others when it crashed was not licensed to fly in foggy conditions, officials say.

Island Express Helicopters was limited to operating when the pilot was able to see clearly when flying.

The pilot reportedly had the federal certification to fly the helicopter relying only on cockpit instruments.

However he is likely to have had little experience in doing so, experts say.

This was due to him being restricted by the company's licensing.

The cause of the crash in foggy weather west of Los Angeles is still being investigated. Bryant was on his way to coach his daughter's basketball team in a local youth tournament at the Mamba Sports Academy.

Meanwhile, on Friday the Lakers played their first game since Bryant's death, going up against the Portland Trail Blazers at the Staples Center in LA.

The team paid tribute to Bryant by warming up wearing his numbers - 8 and 24 - while thousands of fans chanted, "Kobe, Kobe!"

Singer Usher then began a formal tribute by singing Amazing Grace, flanked by bouquets in the shape of the numbers 8 and 24.

Paying tribute to the icon, Lakers star LeBron James told the crowd: "The fact that I'm here now means so much to me.

"I'm going to continue with my teammates to continue his legacy not only for this year but as long as we can continue to play the game of basketball that we love, because that's what Kobe Bryant would want."

"Tonight we celebrate the kid that came here at 18, retired at 38 and became probably the best dad we've seen over the last three years.

The aircraft - a Sikorsky S-76B - went down into a hillside outside the city of Calabasas on Sunday morning.

Conditions were foggy when the flight took off, and local police had grounded their helicopters due to the poor weather.

The pilot asked air traffic controllers for a special clearance, known as Special Visual Flight Rules, to fly in less than optimal weather, said NTSB board member Jennifer Homendy, who went to the crash scene to collect evidence.

The helicopter, she added, circled in the air for 12 minutes before being given the clearance. The pilot then asked controllers for "flight following", an assistance given to helicopters to avoid collisions, but was told the craft was too low to be picked up by radar.

Minutes later, the pilot said he was "climbing to avoid a cloud layer", she added. The helicopter climbed and began a left descending turn, according to radar data, before communication was lost "consistent with the accident location".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51332546

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LeBron James led tributes to LA Lakers legend Kobe Bryant in the team's first game since he died in a helicopter crash alongside his daughter Gianna and seven other people.

The Lakers lost 127-119 to the Portland Trail Blazers at the Staples Center on a night when the team remembered Bryant's 20-year career in LA, which delivered five NBA championships.

Lakers players wore shirts with Bryant's numbers - eight and 24 - displayed on them in the warm-up and a 'KB' logo was printed on the court.

The tribute began with each member of the Lakers' line-up being introduced as "number eight, Kobe Bryant", before R&B artist Usher sang Amazing Grace in front of yellow rose arrangements in the shapes of Bryant's jersey numbers.

Kobe's number 24 and Gianna's number two jerseys were also placed on the two courtside seats where the pair watched their last Lakers game.

"This is a celebration of the 20 years of sweat, the tears, the broken down body, the getting up," Lakers forward James said.

Blazers forward Carmelo Anthony, Bryant's close friend, did not play in Friday's game as he was "not ready", according to his team-mate Damian Lillard.

NBA players will wear uniforms in tribute to Bryant in February's All-Star weekend, with Team James wearing number two, Gianna's basketball jersey number, and Team Giannis (Antetokounmpo) donning Kobe's number 24.

The jerseys will also feature nine stars, representing those who died in the crash.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/51338764
    Last edited by MenInG; 1st February 2020 at 14:27.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vanessa used the word "light" so did the Lakers in their statements, a unique word selection The woke knows what that means.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Kobe Bryant's widow, Vanessa, says her "brain refuses to accept" the deaths of her husband and their daughter, Gianna.

Los Angeles Lakers legend Bryant, 41, and 13-year-old 'Gigi' were among nine people to die in a helicopter crash in California in January.

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion, played for the Lakers throughout his career and is considered one of the greatest players in the game's history.

"I've been reluctant to put my feelings into words," said Vanessa Bryant.

Writing on Instagram, Vanessa - who had three other daughters with Bryant - added: "My brain refuses to accept that both Kobe and Gigi are gone. I can't process both at the same time. It's like I'm trying to process Kobe being gone but my body refuses to accept my Gigi will never come back to me. It feels wrong.

"Why should I be able to wake up another day when my baby girl isn't being able to have that opportunity?! I'm so mad. She had so much life to live.

"Then I realize I need to be strong and be here for my three daughters. Mad I'm not with Kobe and Gigi but thankful I'm here with Natalia, Bianka and Capri."

Vanessa previously announced a "celebration of life" for Bryant and Gianna will take place at the Staples Center, the home of the LA Lakers, on 24 February.

Last week, Gianna's school retired her number two basketball jersey in a special ceremony.

"I know what I'm feeling is normal," added Vanessa. "It's part of the grieving process. I just wanted to share in case there's anyone out there that's experienced a loss like this.

"God I wish they were here and this nightmare would be over. Praying for all of the victims of this horrible tragedy. Please continue to pray for all."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/51457342

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    NBA All-Star Game: Kobe Bryant tributes as Team LeBron beat Team Giannis

Emotional tributes were paid to Kobe Bryant as Team LeBron beat Team Giannis 157-155 at the 69th NBA All-Star game in Chicago on Sunday.

Bryant, an 18-time All-Star, died with his daughter Gianna and seven others in a helicopter crash last month, aged 41.

Team Giannis wore Bryant's number 24 during the game and Team LeBron wore his daughter's number two.

Kawhi Leonard won the first ever Kobe Bryant All-Star MVP Award which was renamed after the LA Lakers legend.

'Kobe, Kobe, Kobe'
    The game was the culmination of a weekend of tributes to five-time NBA champion Bryant, a four-time All-Star MVP. He was also the youngest player to start in an All-Star game when he made his debut aged 19 in 1998.

Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, a former Lakers president and player, led the tributes in a pre-game ceremony, which was followed by an eight-second silence, before the crowd erupted in cheers of 'Kobe, Kobe, Kobe.'

"We will never see another basketball player quite like Kobe," said Johnson. "This is a tough time for the whole NBA family."

US singer Jennifer Hudson, a Chicago native, sang 'For All We Know (We May Meet Again)' while a montage of images of Bryant and his family were shown in the background.

The match's format was also a tribute to Bryant.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the game clock was turned off and a final target score of 157 was set by adding 24 points - representing Bryant's jersey number - to the leading side's total.

'We felt his presence'
    Giannis Antetokounmpo's side held a nine-point lead over LeBron James' team after three quarters, but they eventually came back to win by two points and earn $400,000 (306,000) in prize money which they donated to charity.

Leonard, who plays for the LA Clippers, finished with 30 points and seven rebounds in front of a crowd of 20,900 at the United Center, while Milwaukee Bucks' Antetokounmpo top scored for his side with 25 points.

"Being able to put that trophy in my room and just be able to see Kobe's name on there, it just means a lot to me," said Leonard after being handed the MVP trophy. "He's a big inspiration in my life. He did a lot for me."

"I want to thank Kobe for everything he has done for me, all the long talks and workouts. Thank you," he added.

Antetokounmpo said Bryant would have approved of the game.

"We definitely felt his presence. Growing up, watching Kobe in those games, I felt like he was always competitive, and he was kind of the one who got the game going," he said.

"I think we kept that going tonight. I think he definitely would have loved to watch the way we went out there and competed tonight.

"Over the years, the All-Star Game has been a game where it just hasn't been as competitive as probably the fans would like, but tonight it definitely was, and we got to keep that going."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/51528411

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Kobe Bryant will be posthumously inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The five-time NBA champion died, aged 41, in a helicopter crash in January alongside his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven others.

Los Angeles Lakers great Bryant retired in 2016; he was the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2008, was Finals MVP twice and earned 18 All-Star selections.

He was in the United States team that won Olympic gold in 2008 and 2012.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Bryant's death was "unspeakable" and the league was keen to "honour" him.

"Kobe Bryant is synonymous with NBA All-Star and embodies the spirit of this global celebration of our game," Silver said.

"He always relished the opportunity to compete with the best of the best and perform at the highest level for millions of fans around the world."

Tim Duncan, a five-time NBA champion with the San Antonio Spurs, and Kevin Garnett, who helped the Boston Celtics win the championship in 2008, were also inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame is named after Dr James Naismith, the Canadian physician who invented basketball.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/52169273