Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I have immensely wonderful memories of playing in Pakistan" : Kumar Sangakkara

Kumar Sangakkara at a press conference after arriving in Lahore:

"It's been 47 years for the MCC and 10 years for me personally since I came to Pakistan. On behalf of the MCC and for me personally, we're thrilled to be here. Thank you to the PCB and especially Wasim. A tour to Pakistan by the MCC has been in discussion but until we saw the passion that Wasim had and saw the improvements and arrangements that have been made, it was an eye-opener. Following that presentation, the decision was swiftly made that it's time to actually come and tour this wonderful cricketing nation.

"I have immensely wonderful memories of playing in Pakistan, Lahore especially. In the Asian Test Championship finals in 2002, playing against the greats like Waqar Younis, there were also Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Sami, Abdul Razzaq, Shoaib Malik, they all played alongside Inzamam-ul-Haq.

"I saw the name boards that underscore the hundreds scored by domestic and international players have scored here. It underlines the importance of cricket being played at home in your own country.

"For a lot of the Pakistani players who are becoming greats in their own right, the Babar Azams, the Asad Shafiqs of today, for them to be unable to play cricket in front of their home fans on their home grounds and to have their names go up and be recognised was a great shame. But slowly cricket is coming back. SL was one of the first teams to return. As a fellow Sri Lankan and the president of the MCC, I'm so happy that we're able to do our part to try and encourage countries to look at Pakistan as one of the best cricketing destinations. It has been that in the past and I'm sure it will be that again very soon.

"Cricket goes a long way in engaging people from different countries. I remember in 1996 when SL was in need of assistance, the unified front that cricket nations showed to come and play in SL, to ensure that the message was sent that cricket was healthy and the country was safe. For us on this tour, it's about spreading that message, spreading the gospel of the MCC in terms of our views on international cricket and world cricket, and at the same time supporting Pakistan on its great journey back.

"We look forward to some wonderful cricket over the next few days. The MCC are very competitive, we're here to play some good cricket and hopefully try and win some games as well. It's great we have some tough opposition to play against.

"It's vital to have home games. Cricket belongs to everyone. You need to have youngsters getting inspired to take up the game. If there is no home cricket then there is a danger that kind of hunger might go away. The more cricket you play at home, the more times young children and fabulous fans of Pakistan can see their side, their players play in front of them within almost touching distance. That's great for the game and the country, and for the global game. We shouldn't lose sight of how important the strength of Pakistan is in that big picture of having global cricket in a healthy and strong state. The MCC tour is a part of completing that puzzle.

"Security is a major concern everywhere in the world. The steps taken in the past few years in Pakistan have instilled great amount of confidence in the cricketing nations beyond Pakistan. Slowly but surely, confidence is building up and the more that teams tour, the message becomes stronger and harder to ignore.

"This is an international tour in the sense that the MCC is an international club and is full of international players. The tour took a lot of groundwork.

"Since that attack in 2009, there has been consistent and constant efforts to bring cricket back to Pakistan and I have been a part of many of those conversations.

"The amount of work that Wasim Khan has done behind the scenes with the PCB is immense and without that and the constant back and forth discussions, this tour may not have happened. The fact that we're here shows that many of the concerns that were shared by cricketing nations have been addressed for us to play here.

"I think all the players who were there in 2009 would love to come back. A few have come in their private capacity but even together, I think the players will definitely be willing to come back. We have great memories of playing in Pakistan and touring here.

"Pakistani people have been some of the most hospitable people that I've ever met. Every time SL toured here, I've had wonderful memories. The food, the people, culture, traditions are wonderful and there's so much to love about coming to Pakistan, visiting it and playing cricket here. I love being back here, I have so many friends in the team and otherwise. I'm looking forward to my time here.

"Pakistan wickets and conditions are brilliant to play cricket in. I remember when I played in Lahore and also Karachi, the wickets weren't great for bowling but as a batsman, you always wanted to come and play as much as possible on these pitches.

"In the MCC team, I'm the only veteran, I'm the one who is going to handicap the team. The youngsters are keen, I'm keen to get back in, I'm hoping for a flat wicket but the others are hoping for some purchase so we can stay in the game."

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Amazing guy Sanga and great to see him back in Pakistan.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely respect for Sanga he was a true Champion and love to see nice words about us. I hope everything goes smoothly

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great man

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing ambassador of cricket. Most Sri Lankanís are lovely people

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Lovely words from Sangakkara.

Another feather in the cap for PCB and Wasim Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing respect for Sangakkara. To come out of that trauma to play in the same city requires unbelievable mental strength.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    "A tour to Pakistan by the MCC has been in discussion but until we saw the passion that Wasim had and saw the improvements and arrangements that have been made, it was an eye-opener. Following that presentation, the decision was swiftly made that it's time to actually come and tour this wonderful cricketing nation."

A little eye-opener for "No credit to Wasim Khan" brigade.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sanga speaking during the Qalandars game

"It feels absolutely special and its a great tour to be part of; Coming here after 10 years, the reception has been amazing"

"The cricket has been really good, and it helps when we are well ahead of the Qalandar's but the message and the intent of the tour is (what counts) and its very special to be part of"

"Hopefully we will win but its great to see that Qalandars have put on a very very good team, some really new young players they are testing out as well; We are here to play some competitive cricket as well; Gaddafi Stadium is a wonderful facility and its great that we get to come here and meet the fans and play some good cricket"

"The crowd has been fantastic; Thank you very much for coming out and supporting this great game; Thanks for coming out in numbers, its brilliant to play in front of such a crowd; This is what cricket is all about; Its about passion"

"The one of the biggest advantages of a tournament like PSL, its about unearthing young talent, and refining the talent and abilities you already have; When you have a tournament like this with international stars playing alongside younger players, you will find they will improve very quickly; The more you play under heavy pressure, the quicker you will understand who are the players who can deal with it and what more adjustments the hugely talented young players need to make to step up to playing in the PSL and then of course international cricket as well"
    Last edited by MenInG; 14th February 2020 at 22:43.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sanga and players enjoying themselves at Golf

Last edited by MenInG; 15th February 2020 at 23:47.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine player and a good soul too.

One of the players whom you could pay to watch them play

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The British High Commission hosted the MCC and senior PCB officials for a dinner

Name:  5ed2457d-61d2-4cde-9a6e-ffbf893620bd.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  390.9 KBName:  a05ae605-7b72-4795-8d37-b79e32d86ff4.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  262.7 KBName:  0ccf34db-56b7-43c3-a84d-da046ec4288d.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  214.6 KBName:  5f9aec85-3ed9-4bab-bc7b-607cd7888a87.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  341.7 KBName:  592d428a-bc2a-425b-9e51-d54690f1f5ab.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  371.8 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th February 2020 at 23:44.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sangakkara after playing golf:

"We are very happy to be here, as we all know that there has been a lot of publicity about Pakistan and playing cricket here and all not good but I think that is slowly and surely changing and this particular tour we hope will go a long way towards that"

"Its one thing to play cricket here and be in a hotel, and its a completely different thing to be able to go out and about to play golf, to see the sights, be a tourist in Pakistan and enjoy the country your are touring"

"We will take all these stories back and talk very very highly of our experiences here; Its been a wonderful and we are looking forward to playing more cricket and then back playing golf here"

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Sangakkara after playing golf:

"We are very happy to be here, as we all know that there has been a lot of publicity about Pakistan and playing cricket here and all not good but I think that is slowly and surely changing and this particular tour we hope will go a long way towards that"

"Its one thing to play cricket here and be in a hotel, and its a completely different thing to be able to go out and about to play golf, to see the sights, be a tourist in Pakistan and enjoy the country your are touring"

"We will take all these stories back and talk very very highly of our experiences here; Its been a wonderful and we are looking forward to playing more cricket and then back playing golf here"
    I donít get it l, MCA players wearing traditional suits vs PCB administrators wearing suits

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I guess Sanga is being paid a lot of money for this tour of Pakistan.

So far, he's been worth every rupee.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI has been shown its place. Good job ICC.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well SL owe Pakistan alot as Pakistan helped them alot in eliminating the LTTE.
    Arjuna Ranatunga in specific has great regard for Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I guess Sanga is being paid a lot of money for this tour of Pakistan.

So far, he's been worth every rupee.
    By the MCC? I didn’t hear anything about PCB paying them to tour...

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    By the MCC? I didn’t hear anything about PCB paying them to tour...
    There is no way that MCC will have sent these players to Pakistan without any payment from PCB.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    Well SL owe Pakistan alot as Pakistan helped them alot in eliminating the LTTE.
    Arjuna Ranatunga in specific has great regard for Pakistan.
    Sri Lankans in general are friendly towards Pakistan and hostile towards India

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minamino View Post
    Sri Lankans in general are friendly towards Pakistan and hostile towards India
    And I gave you the main reason as India supported the LTTE

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    And I gave you the main reason as India supported the LTTE
    ofcourse india would support LTTE. They are a tamil origin group. tamil nadu is part of india.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India doesn't have any issues with Lanka though. We are actually on good terms with each other now.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    India doesn't have any issues with Lanka though. We are actually on good terms with each other now.
    Nice.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    There is no way that MCC will have sent these players to Pakistan without any payment from PCB.
    Actually I think I now remember Wasim Khan talking about this. I do not think PCB did pay MCC. From what I remember, WK said that MCC were keen to tour but the budgets had already been allocated so they were having some trouble. Then WK helped MCC raise money for the tour by approaching some charities or institutions in the UK who funded the trip. So, as far as I am aware, no direct funding from the PCB for the MCC.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rashid Latif said that Sanga had rudely refused to travel Pakistan with KK for PSL 2017......

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tour, and they beat 2 psl teams, Sanga will be going back happy no doubt about it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Dr Christian Turner, CMG, the British High Commissioner to Pakistan, paid a warm tribute to the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for a successful tour to Pakistan. MCC, one of the world’s oldest cricket clubs, has been on a week-long tour to Pakistan.

The High Commissioner hosted a reception in Lahore on Saturday to celebrate the collaborative efforts to bring international cricket back to Pakistan. The reception was an opportunity to show the warmth of enduring UK-Pakistan ties and the power of sport to strengthen people-to-people connections.

At the reception on Saturday, the High Commissioner showcased his cricketing skills by batting, bowling and keeping wickets with the cricket legend and MCC President Kumar Sangakkara. Senator Faisal Javed attended the reception on behalf of Prime Minister Imran Khan, and presented a bat signed by the PM to Sangakkara.

British High Commissioner Dr Christian Turner, CMG, said;

To welcome the world’s oldest and most famous cricket club is a sign of confidence in Pakistan, and of the improved security situation that led to the change in UK travel advice.

Cricket is in our blood and one of the many bonds that binds us together. I hope it is a step to welcoming an England cricket team back to Pakistan.

Commenting on the tour, MCC President Kumar Sangakkara said:

We were thrilled to be here in Pakistan. The Pakistan Cricket Board has done a tremendous job in rebuilding the international cricketing landscape here, and for MCC to be touring the country is a momentous occasion for everyone involved.

The aim of the tour is to encourage international teams to visit Pakistan and we hope that this trip goes a long way to achieving that aim.

Also present at the reception on Saturday were the MCC squad, Governor Punjab Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar, members of the parliament, senior members of the PCB, Pakistan’s cricketing stars and the artists and influencers from the media industry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...g-uk-pak-dosti

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    "Assalam-o-Alikum my name is Guy Lavender and I am the CE of MCC, I would like to thank you for all the arrangements done for us since last Thursday"

"Our president Kumar Sangakkara's participation in this historic tour is a matter of joy for us"