User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Wasim Khan 'fully expects' South Africa to play 2 Tests & 3 T20Is series in January 2021 in Pakistan

South Africa delay Pakistan tour due to player workload

“Both the boards are now exploring their FTPs to find gaps so that we can agree on the dates,” says Wasim Khan

Lahore, 14 February 2020:

Cricket South Africa have expressed their inability to tour Pakistan next month but assured the Pakistan Cricket Board that they will honour the commitment of sending their side as soon as it is reasonably possible.

The proposed three-match T20I series was over and above two-Test and three-T20I series in January, next year, which is part of the Future Tours Programme.

The CSA conveyed their decision to the PCB this afternoon after taking into account player workload.

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan said: “While we were keenly looking forward to hosting South Africa next month, we respect Cricket South Africa’s reason for not sending their side next month. Managing player workload is a top priority for any cricket board, and from that perspective, their decision is understandable.

“We are pleased that the CSA remains committed to rescheduling this short series as soon as practically possible. As there is a strong willingness and commitment, both the boards are now exploring their FTPs to find gaps so that we can agree on the dates.”
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th February 2020 at 16:21.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhh disappointing but understandable

SA have a heavy workload...... but hopefully we can get some other team to come in this window and get SA to tour at a later date

their reason was atleast sensible ... rather than "middle east crisis" lol

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was bound to happen as I was surprised when the news broke out about the prospect of this happening as SA were playing and would literally not have much of a break.

It is understandable they have done it now as it needs to be managed better when their players are mentally and physically ready to tour when it is best and suitable for both parties.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully it is successfully rescheduled at a later time.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    That they cancelled it due to work load, means they are happy with security. So touring in near future shouldnot be an issue.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not good----------------but what else can PCB do.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This was always a possibility due to the time frame. PSL finishes on 22nd March, IPL starts on 29th March.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a busy year so understandable, good thing is they have no other concerns and can have the tour later. SA tour of Pak around Jan 2021 which in includes tests as well can completely happen in Pak too if things go as per the plan.
    Last edited by Titan24; 14th February 2020 at 16:00.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    This was always a possibility due to the time frame. PSL finishes on 22nd March, IPL starts on 29th March.
    True. It was discussed on the possible tour thread as well that window was very limited.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Understandable

Also PCB needs to avoid trying to stuff teams into a schedule.

I would suggest that they try to arrange an ODI series with Ireland during the IPL

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor planning by PCB. It was impossible to so many matches in March. There is PSL and then there is 2nd Bangladesh Test.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    South Africa delay Pakistan tour due to player workload

“Both the boards are now exploring their FTPs to find gaps so that we can agree on the dates,” says Wasim Khan

Lahore, 14 February 2020:

Cricket South Africa have expressed their inability to tour Pakistan next month but assured the Pakistan Cricket Board that they will honour the commitment of sending their side as soon as it is reasonably possible.

The proposed three-match T20I series was over and above two-Test and three-T20I series in January, next year, which is part of the Future Tours Programme.

The CSA conveyed their decision to the PCB this afternoon after taking into account player workload.

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan said: “While we were keenly looking forward to hosting South Africa next month, we respect Cricket South Africa’s reason for not sending their side next month. Managing player workload is a top priority for any cricket board, and from that perspective, their decision is understandable.

“We are pleased that the CSA remains committed to rescheduling this short series as soon as practically possible. As there is a strong willingness and commitment, both the boards are now exploring their FTPs to find gaps so that we can agree on the dates.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ok then here's what should be done.

pull out of the asia cup. host south africa instead.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far classier way to deal with this than Bdesh.

Quick, decisive decision to delay tour for legitimate reasons instead of creating and prolonging drama.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least security is not the issue.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Understandable. Much love to SA - many came for the World XI. Also, they used to always be my second favourite team. Big fan of QDK; ABD; Jacques; Smith. But of course, it is the love for fast bowling that makes us kindred spirits - Donald; Pollock; Rabada; Ntini; Nortje; Philander; Morkel. Phew! So many greats in such a short period of time post-apartheid.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention Gary Kirsten. He used to be one of my favourite batsmen growing up. I still don’t know why, but I was a big fan of the guy in his playing days! And of course, Herschelle Gibbs, who was super, super talented

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warcry View Post
    well ok then here's what should be done.

pull out of the asia cup. host south africa instead.
    Agreed.

I’m not sure ACC even want PCB to be in the Asian cricket council. We are just a big headache for them

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Agreed.

I’m not sure ACC even want PCB to be in the Asian cricket council. We are just a big headache for them
    Why would that be?

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Did CSA not know about this workload a few weeks ago when all the signs were that they will tour.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one wants to get injured just before IPL. Better it got “postponed” instead of a B or C team touring Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough

SM

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What workload? Its only T20s for God sake. Just send a combo of your A team/under 19 and a few senior pros. That would have been good enough to give Pakistan a tough fight..

.missed opportunity for SA to nourish their new talent...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    CSA AND PCB AGREE TO POSTPONE PROTEAS T20I TOUR

Friday, 14 February 2020

Cricket South Africa (CSA) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) have agreed to postpone the planned tour by the Standard Bank Proteas to Pakistan for a series of T20 International matches.

“This has purely been done because of the heavy workload and international schedule our players are facing in the immediate future,” commented CSA Acting Chief Executive Jacques Faul. “I have assured my counterpart at the PCB, Wasim Khan, that the tour remains very much on our international schedule.

“I would also like to stress that security was not an issue in asking the PCB for this postponement. We will now work together to find an appropriate window in the international cricket calendar,” concluded Dr. Faul.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Why would that be?
    Because they can’t seem to get things agree the way they would prefer especially with India in the mix and their added political tension.

India is the bigger draw anyways and they are the bread winners for the ACC. They can keep India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka with Afghanistan emerging and make a decent amount of money with India and Bangladesh hosting the tournament.

Pakistan bring nothing much to the table. Might as well just scrap this

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Did CSA not know about this workload a few weeks ago when all the signs were that they will tour.
    Good point.

I feel they have been kind to Pakistan in refusing to tour.

Boy their has been some amazing excuses to not tour recently,

‘The Iran-US war’
    ‘Work load’
    ‘No venue in Islamabad’

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I think the biggest issue is the 4 days difference between their series end and our PSL ending. They don't want to stay in Pakistan and we're probably not too keen to spend money in Dubai for them to stay for 4 days. I think if that gap didn't exist then this tour would've happened. Anyway, this wasn't even planned until recently so I have no feelings about it either way.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is nobody concerned that IPL is taking precedence over an international tour?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We want to face South Africa at full strength. So it's better to delay the tour if they are having scheduling issues.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The PCB approached them first, they have wanted time to speak to the players about it before giving the PCB their final answer. Tbh its fine that the tour isn't going ahead, the PCB admitted it posed logistical challenges.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverSir View Post
    Honestly I think the biggest issue is the 4 days difference between their series end and our PSL ending. They don't want to stay in Pakistan and we're probably not too keen to spend money in Dubai for them to stay for 4 days. I think if that gap didn't exist then this tour would've happened. Anyway, this wasn't even planned until recently so I have no feelings about it either way.
    4 days in Dubai shouldn't be too big a deal, if it meant that SA would tour.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe South Africa will tour this year, at a later time. Not at all concerned about this issue.
    Current Pcb has shown steadfastness and resolve in playing international teams in Pakistan, there revenue and earnings depend on this so have no problem I'm actually happy finally Pcb personnel took a stand after 10 years so this will happen in Pakistan. No more matches needed in UAE.
    Last edited by The Viper; 15th February 2020 at 04:59.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Why is nobody concerned that IPL is taking precedence over an international tour?
    This tour isn't part of the future tours programme. It's being proposed as an additional tour.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The tour is not a part of the FTP.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    What has IPL got to do here?

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is all well and good to take player workload excuse on good faith and in spirit of cooperation good that PCB and CSA making all right statements in media about only postponement and not cancellation.

But I do hope PCB have hammered out legal commitment with CSA to hold them to their word. Too many times such things have burned PCB in past.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    What has IPL got to do here?
    Presumably work loads would have taken IPL into account also?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Presumably work loads would have taken IPL into account also?
    Workload would have taken into account current series, the India serie,IPL, series after IPL too.

Why mention IPL only?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think South Africa will return. They are not too fussy about security like other SENA countries (Australia and NZ specially).

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The PCB approached them first, they have wanted time to speak to the players about it before giving the PCB their final answer. Tbh its fine that the tour isn't going ahead, the PCB admitted it posed logistical challenges.
    Indications were they were happy to toyr, then suddenly the workload card. Very unprofessional.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indications were they were happy to toyr, then suddenly the workload card. Very unprofessional.
    I guess it could be looked in multiple ways . . the talks were on going, but the main sticky point was which Wasim Khan himself admitted was that SA finish off their tour in India on the 18th and PSL runs until the 22nd . . that period of about a week in the middle was the issue and SA couldn't afford to go back . .

So while we can speculate, the main issue was put on the table before the postponement and its not really that surprising!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Was it an issue for pcb to put them up in Dubai for the intervening period?

I would guess not.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they asked the players about the tour and going to Pakistan and they suggested workload issues?

That's why these talks should be kept private. If the plans are confirmed, then great, you can announce it but it's nonsense seeing this talks and negotiations basically happening in public for something that may or may not happen.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Maybe they asked the players about the tour and going to Pakistan and they suggested workload issues?
    You'd think that discussions with the players would take place first before any hints are given that they will tour.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Some lessons here for Wasim Khan too, to not jump the gun regarding big statements on possible tours.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Last edited by MenInG; 12th September 2020 at 15:55.