Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    121,825
    Mentioned
    2211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    "PSL is the best tournament when it comes to the standard of bowling" : Phil Salt

    A sought-after Twenty20 specialist, Phil Salt has impressed all with his recent performances in the Big Bash League where he ended up with 361 runs scored at a brilliant strike rate of 164.09. Coupled with 1473 runs which he made in 62 T20 appearances, Salt is sure to play a key role in Islamabad United's quest for a third title in this year's Pakistan Super League.

    In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, 23-year-old Salt spoke about his recent experience in the Big Bash League, his admiration for Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan, why he is looking forward to working with Misbah-ul-Haq at Islamabad United, reasons for joining the MCC tour of Pakistan and his aspirations for participation in this year's ICC T20 World Cup.



    Name:  philsalt.jpg
Views: 21804
Size:  61.5 KB


    PakPassion.net: You recently enjoyed a successful Big Bash League with Adelaide Strikers, how was that experience?

    Phil Salt:
    It was a great experience going over there to Australia and playing in a different type of cricket environment, on different surfaces and playing against a group of bowlers who mostly I had not faced before. I was pretty happy with how it went especially with my performances around finals time when you feel the pinch a bit more. But I was disappointed that we didn’t go that little bit further in the competition.


    PakPassion.net: How do you see your role within Twenty20 cricket?

    Phil Salt:
    I feel that one of the best things about my game and I have been told this by the franchises and team statisticians that I have played for is that I get going quickly in my innings and I am one of the best in the world after the first few deliveries faced, so that way I don’t need a lot of deliveries to start building an innings. I’ve been asked to do various roles in the batting order such as play in the middle-order for Lahore Qalandars but I feel that my best position at the moment is at the top of the order.


    PakPassion.net: You played alongside Rashid Khan at both Sussex and Adelaide Strikers. What’s it like playing in the same team as such a fantastic cricketer?

    Phil Salt:
    I love playing in the same team as Rashid and what makes it even more special is that he’s a good friend of mine. It was great to be around him at the Big Bash League and I feel that he is already a legend. His cricket and his records speak for themselves - What a match-winner he is!


    PakPassion.net: During last year’s Pakistan Super League there was a lovely picture of you with security personnel in Pakistan that became very popular. How was the experience of being in Pakistan?

    Phil Salt:
    It was a really good experience. Pakistan is a beautiful place and the crowds and all the people I met just blew me away with their passion for cricket which is virtually second to none. It was really cool to go over there and I can't wait to go back for this year's PSL. And yes, that picture did the rounds and I was quite pleased with that. In fact, one of my friends messaged me to tell me that it was very popular on twitter and was trending and it was only replaced as the top trend when Adam Lallana scored for Liverpool versus Southampton. It was great for an image like that to be shared, whether it was of me or someone else.


    PakPassion.net: Are you looking forward to the whole of this year’s Pakistan Super League being held in Pakistan?

    Phil Salt:
    Definitely. Last year I wanted to go to Lahore and Islamabad, but it wasn’t to be. I wanted to experience playing in Lahore as I had heard a lot about the city and the passion for cricket there and of course to Islamabad, as I wanted to play in front of our home fans. But this year I can’t wait to experience the food in Lahore as the boys have been telling me about how great the food is over there. Last year I went to Kolachi restaurant in Karachi and the food there was beautiful, and that kind of experience is definitely one of the things that I am looking forward to again during this year’s PSL.


    PakPassion.net: How highly do you rate Islamabad United’s chances at this year’s Pakistan Super League?

    Phil Salt:
    Their record speaks for itself. They are former title-winners, with good personnel at the franchise. I’m pretty excited at the chance to work with Misbah-ul-Haq who has played so much cricket and knows the game inside out and I’m looking forward to tapping into his knowledge. It’s going to be a hard-fought tournament and I hope that Islamabad will be there or thereabouts when it comes to winning the title.


    PakPassion.net: How does the Pakistan Super League compare with other Twenty20 tournaments you have played in?

    Phil Salt:
    The PSL is the best tournament I have played in when it comes to the standard of bowling. In all the other competitions there are one or sometimes two bowlers who you fancy your chances against and that you can take a calculated risk against, but in the PSL the bowlers are so good in their own conditions. On top of that, they have the ability to reverse-swing the ball and have that sort of knowledge of their wickets that makes it harder for guys coming into bat. So, in the PSL there are very few bowlers that you fancy your chances against or that can be deemed as a weak link.


    PakPassion.net: You’ll soon join the MCC squad touring Pakistan and will play one match. How did the opportunity arise to play for the MCC in Pakistan?

    Phil Salt:
    Ajmal Shehzad is one of the coaches on the tour and it so happens that Ajmal and I have been friends for a few years. We used to travel together up and down the country when I was at the Academy at Sussex and we both lived in Yorkshire. Ajmal used to give me a lift up and down the motorway from Yorkshire to Sussex and we became very close friends. When he asked me if I wanted to go back to Pakistan with the MCC the answer obviously was yes straight away. But the problem was that it didn’t quite work out with the timings and it wouldn’t have been ideal for me to go from playing all the matches for the MCC and straight into the PSL, so I thought after the Big Bash League I would take a bit of a break, get some rest and get some freshness back. Therefore, I agreed to play only one match for the MCC in Pakistan before the PSL.


    PakPassion.net: With the MCC touring Pakistan, the tours by Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and now the PSL being played entirely in Pakistan, there is a concerted effort to bring international cricket back to Pakistan. Do you feel you are a part of something more than just cricket?

    Phil Salt:
    Yes, the MCC tour has a special meaning and all the players involved sort of get that idea especially when talking to the Pakistani players about this subject. That perception is reinforced when we go over to Pakistan and see the reception you get from the fans, and then see your face on billboards in various cities. I guess for everyone who isn’t Pakistani, it will be difficult to appreciate the importance of the visit by the MCC or any other team of foreign players - the scale of it and the feelings around such visits is simply unbelievable.


    PakPassion.net: You’ll get the chance to work with Kumar Sangakkara during the tour by MCC, that’s a fantastic opportunity for you isn’t it?

    Phil Salt:
    Working with Kumar Sangakkara is yet another chance to learn from someone who has played loads of cricket and knows so much about the game. That’s where I am at the minute, I’m just trying to learn from as many people as possible and use their knowledge to help me become a better player, quicker. The advice that Sangakkara will be able to pass on to me is second to none and I can’t wait to tap into that knowledge.


    PakPassion.net: Is participation in this year’s ICC T20 World Cup a realistic target for you?

    Phil Salt:
    Absolutely. I don’t know if I will be picked for the World Cup squad, but then you never sort of know with these things. Sometimes chances like these can come today, tomorrow, in a month’s time, or even in a year’s time. All I know is that I am working really hard at the minute to keep on improving and to keep putting the performances in and I’ll keep doing that and hopefully I’ll get there sooner rather than later.


    PakPassion.net: Playing in Twenty20 leagues around the world such as the Pakistan Super League must be seen as a great help for your international aspirations and profile?

    Phil Salt:
    I’m all about learning at the moment and going to all these places and playing in these leagues and learning more about my game will help me get to my goals that much quicker. As I said, I am happy to be experiencing the high standards in the Pakistan Super League and loving the whole fan-fair of the Big Bash League. Playing in such environments is allowing me exposure to different and very competitive leagues where I am playing against different opponents. All this can only help my cricket and to help me reach the destination of international cricket quicker.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 16th February 2020 at 22:55.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Itís a myth. The quality of bowling in PSL ďlooksĒ better largely because of two factors: most of the matches have been played on slow UAE pitches, and the standard of batting in general is very poor.

    There are no Indian batsmen and quite a few top class batsmen from other sides are missing as well.

    Now that the PSL has been shifted to Pakistan, it is quite likely that the drama of PSLís so-called world class bowling will be exposed. We have already seen some humongous scores in Karachi.

    Play the PSL attacks on IPL pitches against IPL lineups and they will show how great they really are.

    I mean, what bowling attack are we talking about? Yes our bowlers have been successful on slow UAE pitches with their cheap bag of tricks, but the overseas pool of bowlers is nothing to talk about.

    How can PSL have the best attacks in the world when some of the best bowlers in the world like Bumrah, Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Boult, Shami etc. are not playing in PSL?

    Who are these so-called world class bowlers who make up the attacks?

    Before I am inevitably reminded that I should not speak for someone who is playing in the PSL, well I will because he is speaking nonsense.

    He probably thinks that way because he is an average batsman who is far from the next big thing in English cricket.

    He will never play a Test for England and will be lucky to get 20 ODI/T20I caps in international cricket over the course of his career, and he is also not good enough to get an IPL contract,

    which is the highest form of T20 cricket in the game and has the highest standard of batting and bowling, simply because it has, by far, the best pool of players among all the wannabe IPLs like PSL, BBL, CPL, BPL etc.

    PSL is an average league that exists because of IPL. Like other franchise leagues, it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to mimic a fraction of IPLís success. Nothing more, nothing less.

    It is far from the best at anything, but it doesnít have to be. It is doing its job as an entertainment product and people should enjoy for what it is.

    There is no point of making it what it is not and cannot be.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    1,317
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Itís a myth. The quality of bowling in PSL ďlooksĒ better largely because of two factors: most of the matches have been played on slow UAE pitches, and the standard of batting in general is very poor.

    There are no Indian batsmen and quite a few top class batsmen from other sides are missing as well.

    Now that the PSL has been shifted to Pakistan, it is quite likely that the drama of PSLís so-called world class bowling will be exposed. We have already seen some humongous scores in Karachi.

    Play the PSL attacks on IPL pitches against IPL lineups and they will show how great they really are.

    I mean, what bowling attack are we talking about? Yes our bowlers have been successful on slow UAE pitches with their cheap bag of tricks, but the overseas pool of bowlers is nothing to talk about.

    How can PSL have the best attacks in the world when some of the best bowlers in the world like Bumrah, Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Boult, Shami etc. are not playing in PSL?

    Who are these so-called world class bowlers who make up the attacks?

    Before I am inevitably reminded that I should not speak for someone who is playing in the PSL, well I will because he is speaking nonsense.

    He probably thinks that way because he is an average batsman who is far from the next big thing in English cricket.

    He will never play a Test for England and will be lucky to get 20 ODI/T20I caps in international cricket over the course of his career, and he is also not good enough to get an IPL contract,

    which is the highest form of T20 cricket in the game and has the highest standard of batting and bowling, simply because it has, by far, the best pool of players among all the wannabe IPLs like PSL, BBL, CPL, BPL etc.

    PSL is an average league that exists because of IPL. Like other franchise leagues, it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to mimic a fraction of IPLís success. Nothing more, nothing less.

    It is far from the best at anything, but it doesnít have to be. It is doing its job as an entertainment product and people should enjoy for what it is.

    There is no point of making it what it is not and cannot be.
    You forgot to write "Rant over".

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,793
    Mentioned
    1145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Add some more zeros on the end of my paycheck and I'll say nice things too.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    2,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it had the best bowling, Asif Ali wouldn't be hitting sixes for fun.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,793
    Mentioned
    1145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It’s a myth. The quality of bowling in PSL “looks” better largely because of two factors: most of the matches have been played on slow UAE pitches, and the standard of batting in general is very poor.

    There are no Indian batsmen and quite a few top class batsmen from other sides are missing as well.

    Now that the PSL has been shifted to Pakistan, it is quite likely that the drama of PSL’s so-called world class bowling will be exposed. We have already seen some humongous scores in Karachi.

    Play the PSL attacks on IPL pitches against IPL lineups and they will show how great they really are.

    I mean, what bowling attack are we talking about? Yes our bowlers have been successful on slow UAE pitches with their cheap bag of tricks, but the overseas pool of bowlers is nothing to talk about.

    How can PSL have the best attacks in the world when some of the best bowlers in the world like Bumrah, Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Boult, Shami etc. are not playing in PSL?

    Who are these so-called world class bowlers who make up the attacks?

    Before I am inevitably reminded that I should not speak for someone who is playing in the PSL, well I will because he is speaking nonsense.

    He probably thinks that way because he is an average batsman who is far from the next big thing in English cricket.

    He will never play a Test for England and will be lucky to get 20 ODI/T20I caps in international cricket over the course of his career, and he is also not good enough to get an IPL contract,

    which is the highest form of T20 cricket in the game and has the highest standard of batting and bowling, simply because it has, by far, the best pool of players among all the wannabe IPLs like PSL, BBL, CPL, BPL etc.

    PSL is an average league that exists because of IPL. Like other franchise leagues, it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to mimic a fraction of IPL’s success. Nothing more, nothing less.

    It is far from the best at anything, but it doesn’t have to be. It is doing its job as an entertainment product and people should enjoy for what it is.

    There is no point of making it what it is not and cannot be.
    I don't mind PSL as an entertainment spectacle and a vehicle to return international cricket to Pakistan.

    But what I cannot stand are the PSL fan-boys who hype this second rate league as on a par with IPL and demand the fast-tracking of PSL stars, despite mediocre domestic records, into international cricket. It's a disgrace that journeymen one hit wonders on the back of a few half-decent performances in this league are rewarded with the cap that Fazal Mahmood, Zaheer Abbas and Wasim Akram once wore. Has anybody produced by this league even gone on to have successful and sustained Pakistan careers ? If this league is so damn good, why have the likes of Asif Ali, Ahsan Ali, Shadab Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Fakhar Zaman and Mohammed Nawaz all crashed and burned in international cricket ?

    The quality of cricket, coaching and talent rosters are not comparable. The standard of batting is appalling especially amongst the local talent - only in PSL would TTFs like Kamran Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal top the batting charts. Only in PSL do bits and pieces players like Shadab Khan, Fahim Ashraf and Mohammed Nawaz look like proper all rounders.

    Yes there's been close and exciting matches - usually because the teams are so bloody incompetent or such chokers that they cannot close out even simple chases or collapse out of nowhere.

    The best young talent in Pakistan don't even play in this league, many of whom have been shockingly ignored. The selection process is not on merit but on basis of jobs for the boys and rewarding mates.

    Also, if this league is as incredible as Phil Salt is making out to be, why the hell are the franchises losing money hand over fist and begging the PCB for financial relief ?

    Anyway we've only a few weeks until the real cricket begins again. In the meantime enjoy.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,077
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy his giving his opinion based upon the experiences he had in different leagues. Just like many people have different opinions, Salt has every right to have his own when he has actually himself experienced the difference by playing in multiple leagues. He has also given a reason of why his thinks so, people have every right to disagree.

    Alex Hales also shared some of these sentiments in his interview. Ofcourse opinions can vary.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,077
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Add some more zeros on the end of my paycheck and I'll say nice things too.
    So Natwest, BBL etc dont pay him enough?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    60
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember him playing many leagues so don't think he can judge fairly.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    519
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is not better than other leagues.The big money offered by IPL is the reason foreign players are very keen to play in IPL.The quality of cricket is similar to other leagues.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,008
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shane Watson said the same thing last year and faced similar criticism.

    People now have issues with personal opinions.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    12,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Itís a myth. The quality of bowling in PSL ďlooksĒ better largely because of two factors: most of the matches have been played on slow UAE pitches, and the standard of batting in general is very poor.

    There are no Indian batsmen and quite a few top class batsmen from other sides are missing as well.

    Now that the PSL has been shifted to Pakistan, it is quite likely that the drama of PSLís so-called world class bowling will be exposed. We have already seen some humongous scores in Karachi.

    Play the PSL attacks on IPL pitches against IPL lineups and they will show how great they really are.

    I mean, what bowling attack are we talking about? Yes our bowlers have been successful on slow UAE pitches with their cheap bag of tricks, but the overseas pool of bowlers is nothing to talk about.

    How can PSL have the best attacks in the world when some of the best bowlers in the world like Bumrah, Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Boult, Shami etc. are not playing in PSL?

    Who are these so-called world class bowlers who make up the attacks?

    Before I am inevitably reminded that I should not speak for someone who is playing in the PSL, well I will because he is speaking nonsense.

    He probably thinks that way because he is an average batsman who is far from the next big thing in English cricket.

    He will never play a Test for England and will be lucky to get 20 ODI/T20I caps in international cricket over the course of his career, and he is also not good enough to get an IPL contract,

    which is the highest form of T20 cricket in the game and has the highest standard of batting and bowling, simply because it has, by far, the best pool of players among all the wannabe IPLs like PSL, BBL, CPL, BPL etc.

    PSL is an average league that exists because of IPL. Like other franchise leagues, it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to mimic a fraction of IPLís success. Nothing more, nothing less.

    It is far from the best at anything, but it doesnít have to be. It is doing its job as an entertainment product and people should enjoy for what it is.

    There is no point of making it what it is not and cannot be.
    Thatís quite the rant.

    KK have Amir, Jordan, Plunkett (both play the IPL I believe?) with Imad and umer Khan for support. Thatís pretty damn good

    Qalanders have Rauf (Best bowler in the recent BBL), Steyn and Shaheen. Quality.

    Multan have Imran Tahir, Tanvir and irfan.

    Quetta have Tymal, Husnain, Naseem and Fawad.

    Zalmi seem a tad weaker but still boast Wahab and Hasan Ali

    So, yeah, bowling standards are very very good and Saltís comments are entirely reasonable

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    Thatís quite the rant.

    KK have Amir, Jordan, Plunkett (both play the IPL I believe?) with Imad and umer Khan for support. Thatís pretty damn good

    Qalanders have Rauf (Best bowler in the recent BBL), Steyn and Shaheen. Quality.

    Multan have Imran Tahir, Tanvir and irfan.

    Quetta have Tymal, Husnain, Naseem and Fawad.

    Zalmi seem a tad weaker but still boast Wahab and Hasan Ali

    So, yeah, bowling standards are very very good and Saltís comments are entirely reasonable
    If you compare it to the batting, the bowling is relatively better but still mediocre.

    However, if you compare it to IPL where every leading Limited Overs bowler in the world of the last 10 years has participated, then it is quite ridiculous to suggest that PSL has the best standard of bowling among all the leagues.

    I think Salt is just salty for not being good enough for the IPL.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    12,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    If you compare it to the batting, the bowling is relatively better but still mediocre.

    However, if you compare it to IPL where every leading Limited Overs bowler in the world of the last 10 years has participated, then it is quite ridiculous to suggest that PSL has the best standard of bowling among all the leagues.

    I think Salt is just salty for not being good enough for the IPL.
    I donít follow the IPL particularly closely but I have seen plenty of the other leagues and I do think the PSL bowling is better than the rest. So perhaps itís not the best but it does have a legit claim to being the second best and thus these comments from Salt, Dean Jones, etc. are not misplaced. The PSL bowling standard is most definitely not mediocre

    It probably does help that the PSL is only 6 teams so the local talent doesnít get spread over 8 or 18 teams (or however many teams the English system has) and it doesnít compete with the host countryís international commitments (BBL)

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    6,238
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surely he is talking about quantity of decent bowlers and he is right about there are no t20 leagues in the world where every team having 5/6 very decent but not world-class bowlers so he is saying right that it is difficult to find the weak link because all of them are pretty good. This is the statement of every foreign players who played PSL so surely it is kind of agreeable.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    6,238
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Home conditions and bowlers experience in slow pitches only adding weight to this statement, even AB and KP did struggle there.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    27,997
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Really funny this; a batsman who actually has played in various leagues praises the good bowling in PSL and then you have keyboard batters who calls this a myth..amazing.


    Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    75,282
    Mentioned
    1702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think he's right about the quality of bowling at the PSL. It's definitely amongst the best especially when it comes to pace bowling.



  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon, the bowling is definitely 2nd best if we assume 1st is the IPL.

    Not bad at all for a young league with tons of logistics issues.

    So yeah, I understand your IPL rant but credit where due, for being the second best.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think that some people are being plain ignorant in this thread.

    One guy mentioned Asif Ali hitting sixes for fun. So then why does the IPL normally have high scores? Is it because the bowling is bad?

    The PSL has probably got the best bowling in the world right now. In the IPL, the bowlers just get blasted each game; no wonder players like Mohammed Siraj and Khaleel Ahmed have all faded away.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,004
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think he's right about the quality of bowling at the PSL. It's definitely amongst the best especially when it comes to pace bowling.
    Yup, there is a reason that games go down to the wire more often than any other league.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    412
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    @Mamoon, the bowling is definitely 2nd best if we assume 1st is the IPL.

    Not bad at all for a young league with tons of logistics issues.

    So yeah, I understand your IPL rant but credit where due, for being the second best.
    There is no shame in considered second best after all its inspired from IPL. How much ever league springs up around world, everyone knows the pioneers

  23. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,793
    Mentioned
    1145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Yup, there is a reason that games go down to the wire more often than any other league.
    Incompetent batting and typical Pakistani trait of choking in run chases might have something to do with it too.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,004
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Incompetent batting and typical Pakistani trait of choking in run chases might have something to do with it too.
    As long as they arnt one sided affairs, Im not complaining

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    7,018
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a right to his opinion. I would expect PSL to have great bowling quality because Pakistan generally produce great bowlers.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    1,065
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PSL is about entertainment. I do believe eventually that international cricket will play second fiddle, mostly because the T20 leagues are so lucrative, but that's not something that is happening today.
    As far as comparing cricket goes, it's really tough to compare because Indian players only compete in IPL. Australian players in the Big Bash will also play CPL, IPL, and PSL, BPL players will also play PSL, CPL, and Big Bash, etc. There's just no exclusivity for those leagues because the players in those leagues will revolt if they miss out on league money elsewhere. IPL is the biggest right now, that does not guarantee that they will always be the biggest or that the PSL or BBL cannot achieve those heights.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
    There is no shame in considered second best after all its inspired from IPL. How much ever league springs up around world, everyone knows the pioneers
    Of course.

    Being 2nd best is good enough in this case!

  28. #28
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    592
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any player comes to India and says good things about IPL, it is because of financial motivation and of course, he has no choice but to do it.

    If a player says the same thing about PSL, it can only be genuine and true - no need to question the motive or authenticity of the narrative.

    Is the above correct?

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,077
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bala977 View Post
    If any player comes to India and says good things about IPL, it is because of financial motivation and of course, he has no choice but to do it.

    If a player says the same thing about PSL, it can only be genuine and true - no need to question the motive or authenticity of the narrative.

    Is the above correct?
    Obviously no player will say bad things about the league he plays in but nobody goes out of the way and mention that one aspect which in this case is bowling is better than what he has experienced elsewhere unless he genuinely feels it. He was asked about PSL, he could have said generalized things like he could have said for any other league which he didnt.

    Also he isnt the only one, Alex Hales interview to PP last year can also be read where he mentioned the quality of bowling and there are others too.

    Its ok to disagree to what these players have said but doubting their intentions regarding a specific aspect is far fetched because as mentioned that he could have given generalized praises just like most players do for leagues but he mentioned one aspect and went onto give reason as well. Unless he starts saying in every league that it has the best bowling than I don’t understand why should anybody target his intentions.
    Last edited by Titan24; 18th February 2020 at 16:31.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    31,700
    Mentioned
    1724 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I think its 2nd best after the IPL.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    121,825
    Mentioned
    2211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I think its 2nd best after the IPL.
    Dont think much doubt about that but apart from the revenue earnt, what other yardsticks can we use? Surely "the best" league thing is down to the eyes of the beholder?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    12,136
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good or bad is measured against a reference frame.

    When batting is so poor in PSL, even mediocre bowling will shine as these bowlers will easily handle those batsman. Hence, the performance will be inflated than what they are capable of elsewhere.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,092
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree.

    Put those same bowlers in front of Warner, Rohit, Kohli, Finch, Smith, Butler, Bairstow, Qdk and may be a dozen others then we'll see how good they actually are...

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    18,537
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My only counter would be that Kamran Akmal keeps topping this league. No way a league with the best bowling will allow someone like Kamran top the batting charts


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistically it might be.

    But being honest, I donít think it is. Because as someone pointed out the likes of Finch, Buttler, Warner, Rahul, Stokes havenít played in this league yet.

    Yes Morgan, Gayle, Roy and Ab have played and didnít do well.

    But the sample size is very small.

    Also the UAE pitches are the worst for stroke making

    Once the top players start to play and if bowling is still of the same level, then this statement has some weight behind it.

    From what Iíve seen bowling does look impressive tho
    Last edited by Babar_Azam_fan; 19th February 2020 at 10:33.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    31,700
    Mentioned
    1724 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Dont think much doubt about that but apart from the revenue earnt, what other yardsticks can we use? Surely "the best" league thing is down to the eyes of the beholder?
    Number of international players who regularly play for their teams and also play the league regularly. Thats another yard stick.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,713
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    My only counter would be that Kamran Akmal keeps topping this league. No way a league with the best bowling will allow someone like Kamran top the batting charts
    Kamran Akmal isnít a bad T20 batsman

    Played a crucial role in winning us T20 world cup 2009 and smashed Australian bowlers in 2010 WC semi final
    Last edited by shah_1; 19th February 2020 at 16:44.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,077
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Good or bad is measured against a reference frame.

    When batting is so poor in PSL, even mediocre bowling will shine as these bowlers will easily handle those batsman. Hence, the performance will be inflated than what they are capable of elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Agree.

    Put those same bowlers in front of Warner, Rohit, Kohli, Finch, Smith, Butler, Bairstow, Qdk and may be a dozen others then we'll see how good they actually are...
    He has said PSL is the best tournament bowling wise in comparison to tournaments I have played in. Why is IPL coming into discussion?

    He isnt talking about bowling stats as well but rather his experience and that he and probably other guys who he had talks with find it difficult to identify bowlers to target in each match.
    Last edited by Titan24; 19th February 2020 at 16:59.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,092
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    He has said PSL is the best tournament bowling wise in comparison to tournaments I have played in. Why is IPL coming into discussion?

    He isnt talking about bowling stats as well but rather his experience and that he and probably other guys who he had talks with find it difficult to identify bowlers to target in each match.
    Oh my bad. The title made it sound as if he's referring to all the leagues.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    3,129
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everybody and their dog worth their salt (sorry) will say the same about their own tournaments.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    5,201
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Dont think much doubt about that but apart from the revenue earnt, what other yardsticks can we use? Surely "the best" league thing is down to the eyes of the beholder?
    The quality of players participating is another yardstick. Their records speak for themselves.


    Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

  42. #42
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    1,277
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Yup, there is a reason that games go down to the wire more often than any other league.
    Actually, I think a lot of IPL matches go down to the wire. Like, last ball finishes, unexpected changes in the last few overs of the game. Too often in fact. I just put this down to what I assume to be rife fixing in the IPL. Just my opinion though. Never really gone looking for proof. And not saying that fixing isn’t rife in Pak as well.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    1,277
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed watching the first game. Three or four young Pak fast bowlers - Hasnain, Musa, Javed, Faheem - all bowled well.

    Sorry, previous post a bit off-topic, perhaps.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    912
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The derth of match winning bowlers in psl is unrivalled.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Loving the bowling standard.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    8,892
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon your comparison with IPL never ends. apart from IPL no other league has better bowling and that is fact.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    8,892
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I think its 2nd best after the IPL.

    Yes you are right. And very few times I agree with you.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    4,084
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    PakPassion.net: How does the Pakistan Super League compare with other Twenty20 tournaments you have played in?

    Phil Salt:
    The PSL is the best tournament I have played in when it comes to the standard of bowling. In all the other competitions there are one or sometimes two bowlers who you fancy your chances against and that you can take a calculated risk against, but in the PSL the bowlers are so good in their own conditions. On top of that, they have the ability to reverse-swing the ball and have that sort of knowledge of their wickets that makes it harder for guys coming into bat. So, in the PSL there are very few bowlers that you fancy your chances against or that can be deemed as a weak link.

    The guy compares the leagues that he's played in and some people just make it a this league versus that league. The insecurity lmao.


    Azaadi. InshAllah.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    When will this Wisden Player of the Year get a game? If you cannot get into a PSL playing XI as an overseas player, you should probably understand your worth as a cricketer.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    519
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL is a league on its own right.It does not need to compete with other leagues.I only watch Vitality Blast(English T20) and PSL.I don't care about IPL.This is my choice.Similarly Indians can watch IPL.They can rate IPL to the best le4ague if they want to.It doesn't bother me.I am not interested in IPL but wish all overseas players a success.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    3,392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much on spot regarding bowling standard,even bottom ranked teams in PSL consists strong bowling units

  52. #52
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Well the likes of Irfan, Faheem, Shinwari, Irshad, Rahat etc. are the reason why PSL has the best bowling among all leagues in spite of not having the likes of Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah, Malinga etc.

    Other leagues cannot dream of having local bowlers of their pedigree.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Well the likes of Irfan, Faheem, Shinwari, Irshad, Rahat etc. are the reason why PSL has the best bowling among all leagues in spite of not having the likes of Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah, Malinga etc.

    Other leagues cannot dream of having local bowlers of their pedigree.
    Which other leagues have you watched? Have you seen the standards of the big bash??

  54. #54
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squanchy View Post
    Which other leagues have you watched? Have you seen the standards of the big bash??
    Big Bash, PSL, CPL, BPL and MSL are all comparable. However, all of them are light-years behind IPL which is now equal to international cricket. In fact, it is better than bilateral T20 International cricket and on par with the World T20.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    412
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    PSL is a league on its own right.It does not need to compete with other leagues.I only watch Vitality Blast(English T20) and PSL.I don't care about IPL.This is my choice.Similarly Indians can watch IPL.They can rate IPL to the best le4ague if they want to.It doesn't bother me.I am not interested in IPL but wish all overseas players a success.
    So whatever league mushrooms around the world, IPL will be known as best and widely watched around cricketing world
    Others just copied and tried to recreate the same success mantra

  56. #56
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    615
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Big Bash, PSL, CPL, BPL and MSL are all comparable. However, all of them are light-years behind IPL which is now equal to international cricket. In fact, it is better than bilateral T20 International cricket and on par with the World T20.
    The league rauf destroyed?

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    2,135
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Big Bash, PSL, CPL, BPL and MSL are all comparable. However, all of them are light-years behind IPL which is now equal to international cricket. In fact, it is better than bilateral T20 International cricket and on par with the World T20.
    lol. how do you come up with this sort of stuff? i mean i'm torn between one can't be this dumb vs one can be this dumb.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    The league rauf destroyed?
    You will get anomalies everywhere. Where do you want me to start with PSL? Kamran has been a star performer for 5 seasons in a row in a league that has supposedly ďthe best standard of bowlingĒ.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    85,603
    Mentioned
    6470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    lol. how do you come up with this sort of stuff? i mean i'm torn between one can't be this dumb vs one can be this dumb.
    You mean you prefer to live in denial. Okay, that is also fine.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,315
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Big Bash, PSL, CPL, BPL and MSL are all comparable. However, all of them are light-years behind IPL which is now equal to international cricket. In fact, it is better than bilateral T20 International cricket and on par with the World T20.
    Lol. The worshipping.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Phil Salt finally starting a match for Islamabad United.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •