Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"Sharjeel Khan is good enough to open the batting for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup" : Dean Jones

Dean Jones speaking at end of the MSvKK game

"We got beaten in the batting, bowling and the fielding - not much else could be said"

"Good pitch where none of our top 4 batted deep; dropped catches, we didnt bowl in the right areas and got beaten all over the place"

"Just lacking rhythm and bit of confidence at the moment, hopefully Inshallah it will happen soon"

"If you watch us train, we (train for catches) with thousands of balls, so good question - why (did we drop so many)"

"I always see that when guys are starting to make runs, the fielding follows through"

"At the moment, none of our overseas batsmen have made too many runs and its leaking into the team"

"I cant put my finger on why we arent taking catches - its a good question and I will ask the team too"

"Sharjeel Khan isnt struggling - that's the way he plays"

"I will tell you why (Alex Hales is not opening the batting) - Sharjeel Khan is good enough to open the batting for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup; I still think Pakistan has a weakness in their batting order; They dont know who should open the batting or bat at 3 or 4, or 5"

"The boy (Sharjeel) has won me and IU a title"

"We also didnt get to a good start in PSL 1 with IU but the key is to remain patient; The key as a coach is to keep on instilling the formulas to winning T20 games"

"At the moment we want one of our batsman to stand there and pick one of the stumps out of the ground"

"Hopefully Umer Khan will get more of a chance in the next game; The boys were worried about the wind and with a lot of left-handers hitting with the breeze; Iftikhar got hurt (hit for runs) a little bit as did Moeen Ali; The left-arm spinners got hurt and its the guys with overspin who did well on this pitch; So the question is do we play a leg-spinner and Umer; We need to get the balance right maybe for the Islamabad game; The pitch there looks like one of the best wickets going around, similar to this one"

"We are so happy to be here - Multan - full house and the ground was magnificent, absolutely brilliant and Inshallah we will play some better cricket for you in the next match"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So he can fix more matches?

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he has done nothing to come back.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely not. Have to blacklist players like him. Haider ali and Umar Amin are better prospects than him.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dean Jones trying to fix it for the Aussies early lol

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only he was our coach and not Misbah.

We can't look at the past and keep commenting on what he did or what he should of done. People make mistake and then you learn and move on.

We should focus on the present and see what he is doing now. If he is playing honest and good Cricket then why not give him more chances? I personally think he is our best opener for T20 cricket and hopefully he gets going in the upcoming matches.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This fixer needs to be booted out!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that argument have to do with Karachi Kings? Surely Deano is being paid to make KK win and not worry about Pakistan.

Is he gunning for Misbah's job???

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should refrain from commenting on the national team & should focus on karachi Kings..
    & I have enough of this sh*t that we did this or that with Islamabad United. It doesn't matter what he did at Islamabad camp. He is coaching Karachi Kings now & he should be & will be judges on the basis of his current team's performance.
    Last edited by Sadozai; 28th February 2020 at 22:48. Reason: spells

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand why he's saying so but sorry Deano he isn't, infact he isn't even good enough to open for KK, it should be Hales and Babar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    would rather have Kami. At least he can hide behind the wickets and is in much better form as a batsman.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel is too over wt to play a good inning against quality fast bowling . We need to move on from him. How can someone not lose wt and become fit if his livelihood depends on it.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Fakhar looks better than him
    The sharjeel ship has sailed already
    Can't start picking players based on previous accomplishments

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to say some of his shots looked really good. But needs a big score to get his confidence and touch back. Needs a lot of time at the crease for the moment.

It's something Mickey helped him with and turned him from a legside hack to a decent attacking batsman. Still looks better than the shaky Fakhar, but not as consistent as Kami yet.

Still some time left in the PSL. If Sharjeel gets that big innings people will start favouring him for the WorldT20 slot.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Sharjeel is too over wt to play a good inning against quality fast bowling . We need to move on from him. How can someone not lose wt and become fit if his livelihood depends on it.
    It’s just amazing. All you need to do is to work out one hour daily and have focus on your diet and you will see big improvement in just a few months. Something is really wrong here and I don’t know what all the coaches are doing. It’s not only Sharjeel, you have quite a few of them in PSL and in Pak cricket in general.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He needs to play a big knock to get noticed. So far he has played small cameos, but he needs to go on and get a 50+ score.
    Last edited by The Viper; 29th February 2020 at 05:10.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On basis of what?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Fakhar looks better than him
    The sharjeel ship has sailed already
    Can't start picking players based on previous accomplishments
    Fakhar doesn't look better than anyone let alone Sharjeel, please.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendAli View Post
    lmao, I think my batting technique is better than Fakharís

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    would rather have Kami. At least he can hide behind the wickets and is in much better form as a batsman.
    Why do we have to go back to a near 40 year old who has failed numerous times in International Cricket? Haider Ali or Zeeshan Ashraf both would be better options. Ashraf can keep wickets as well.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you want to post 200+ in WC matches then you need Sharjeel.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Always was and always will be an overrated player. His stature got bigger and bigger during his time-off.

Nothing more than a homeless manís Warner, Roy, Bairstow, Finch etc. with pathetic fitness levels.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Despite all the praise he gets I've never liked sharjeel. Only wants to score square off the wicket and has no idea on how to construct an innings in any of the formats

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrendous fitness, he had years to rectify that issue.
    He can spend the rest of his days like salman and asif in domestic.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understand this,some of the fans believe 13 balls 32 runs for a opening batsman is remarkable performance THATS RUBBISH PERFORMANCE!!!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't deserve to be in a team even if he score couple of 50's in tournament. Need to sort out fitness issues first.

Debut
    Apr 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heck yea! , bring it .

you really can't beat the game. If you earn anything, it's minus taxes. If you buy anything it's plus taxes.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The reality is that with each innings Haider Ali is growing in stature and boosting his hopes of a Pakistan call-up whilst Sharjeel has not shown much form so far in the PSL.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The reality is that with each innings Haider Ali is growing in stature and boosting his hopes of a Pakistan call-up whilst Sharjeel has not shown much form so far in the PSL.
    I think Sharjeel has lost his appetite

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I think Sharjeel has lost his appetite
    He is human after all. Not easy to come back and start performing. He needs one good score to get the confidence going.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, he can still hit.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His fitness level is a disgrace especially for someone who had all the time in the world to get in shape looks like a balloon hence will be found out at the top level anyway Misbah will take Shan English to Australia

Waiting for the day when there will be no p....i player in a green shirt

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haider Ali is the one who should be in the frame now bye bye Sharjeel unless he droos 10+ kg

Waiting for the day when there will be no p....i player in a green shirt

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No mercy so far!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's a genuine match winner, doesn't look like he's lost any of that hitting ability. Sadly for Pakistan you would never be able to trust him in a world cup competition. If he turns on one of his trademark performances in the PSL the clamour for his inclusion will grow.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrendous shot to get out, still fat. Doesnt deserve the thought of a national return.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    a true beast

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Horrendous shot to get out, still fat. Doesnt deserve the thought of a national return.
    Asif Ali is less fat, but he isn't fit to clean Sharjeel's boots. Sharjeel shouldn't be chosen to play for Pakistan, but let's be clear, if he wasn't a cheat, he would be in the team on merit.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a brutal innings by Sharjeel. Still very good on the backfoot and with the pull shot.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Always was and always will be an overrated player. His stature got bigger and bigger during his time-off.

Nothing more than a homeless manís Warner, Roy, Bairstow, Finch etc. with pathetic fitness levels.
    at his peak he scored in Eng and Aus. Was very good. No ddoubt about his ability. Fitness needs to improve though. He is good enough for Pakistani standards. Though in a very poor shape and this is why I think Kami should get a nod also because we don't have good wk batsman.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    Turku , Finland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is by far the best timer and hitter in Pakistan , seems set to be selected for the WorldCup.
    Those showing disliking due for his fixing antics should keep it in mind that players are allowed a comeback after they have faced their sentence. So don't bring his past in the context.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At his peak Sharjeel was better than Warner.

Enough said.

Let's see if he can construct a big enough innings this PSL. Good start today. Hasn't lost his outrageous hitting ability.

Amazing bat speed. Backfoot game strong. Pull strong.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirpur express View Post
    His fitness level is a disgrace especially for someone who had all the time in the world to get in shape looks like a balloon hence will be found out at the top level anyway Misbah will take Shan English to Australia
    As if there's only one batsman we need and everything else is golden. We don't have anything besides Babar and even he isn't a particularly good hitter.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way he effortlessly lifts the ball into the crowd is unlike any batsman I've ever seen for Pakistan.

He needs to improve his fitness but he has to open for Pakistan along with Babar in t20s. Even his 20 from 10 balls would be useful and if he clicks, he can take the game away from the opposition.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No batsman in world cricket picks up length quicker than Khan. Still one of the best openers in Pakistan despite his fitness issues. If he just works on his strike rotation a bit more he'll score big because he keeps losing his wicket to good balls where he needs to just nudge it around. He'll put the bad ones away all day long.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever you take to the worldcup will fail on those bouncy pitches. Sharjeel is no different and will fail too.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    One thing which always struck me about Sharjeel was how effortlessly he played the fast bowlers. Doesn't matter how quick they are, if they pitch it short they are going into the stands. Also has a very destructive offside game, so that leaves the pace bowlers with very little margin for error. He is in a totally different class to blind sloggers like Fakhar.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirpur express View Post
    "balloon"

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kid couldnt pass a yoyo test after gastric surgery he's that fat.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tbh I havenít seen a cleaner hitting opener for Pakistan since Imran Nasir. Fakhar is so frustrating to watch and he is pretty much a run a ball. Sharjeel is a @170+ striker of the ball when he is on song. How can we not pick this guy?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well what can I say, spoken like a true Sethi cheerleader.

He was outstanding today and actually his batting in England and Australia was commendable.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    One thing which always struck me about Sharjeel was how effortlessly he played the fast bowlers. Doesn't matter how quick they are, if they pitch it short they are going into the stands. Also has a very destructive offside game, so that leaves the pace bowlers with very little margin for error. He is in a totally different class to blind sloggers like Fakhar.
    Spot on.

I enjoyed his knock today. There is no better striker on the back foot in Pakistan than Sharjeel.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only reason KK won the game today - Sharjeel Khan.

Gave them that edge at the start of the innings.

Shadab's terrible bowling changes too.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post

He was outstanding today and actually his batting in England and Australia was commendable.
    What do you expect from Mamoon? It probably kills him to see any sort of quality in a green shirt.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

No he was not outstanding. He failed to capitalize on a belter and got outclassed by Hales and the geezer Ronchi.

This is the type of exaggeration that has resulted in the overrating of Sharjeel.

He punished a few loose deliveries, but then threw his wicket away in a typically pathetic fashion. He is never two balls away from playing a stupid shot and throwing his wicket away.

As far as the allegations regarding Sethi are concerned, he has been proved right after the confession of Jamshed. His critics have been left humiliated.

Sharjeel was guilty and he deserved what he got. He has had another chance but he has done nothing to justify a return to international cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His fitness won't let him succeed in international cricket. Ran out Babar today and is a terrible fielder.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    What do you expect from Mamoon? It probably kills him to see any sort of quality in a green shirt.
    If Sharjeel is the “quality” you are looking for, we will continue to occupy embarrassing rankings in Test and ODI cricket. This guy is just a homeless man’s Warner, Finch, Roy, Hales, Bairstow etc. type batsman. Probably only marginally better than Fakhar Zaman, but other sides have far better players in the same mould, and he will be competing against them.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    At his peak Sharjeel was better than Warner.
    This is the type of extreme overrating that has not helped Sharjeel or Pakistan cricket. His so-called peak was basically two series where he couldn’t even cross three figures. He has not achieved 1% of Warner and somehow, he was supposedly better than him in his peak.

He is still at his peak. He just doesn’t care enough to work on his weaknesses or on his fitness. The Pakistani cap is incredibly cheap these days, but he clearly has not done anything to warrant a recall to international cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No he was not outstanding. He failed to capitalize on a belter and got outclassed by Hales and the geezer Ronchi.

This is the type of exaggeration that has resulted in the overrating of Sharjeel.

He punished a few loose deliveries, but then threw his wicket away in a typically pathetic fashion. He is never two balls away from playing a stupid shot and throwing his wicket away.

As far as the allegations regarding Sethi are concerned, he has been proved right after the confession of Jamshed. His critics have been left humiliated.

Sharjeel was guilty and he deserved what he got. He has had another chance but he has done nothing to justify a return to international cricket.
    I would rate his performance 8/10. His quick fire knock at the beginning of the innings was pivotal to Karachi Kings.

As mentioned before, there is no conclusive evidence that he had participated or agreed to any sort of fixing. You have to adhere to due process, whether you like it or not.

I see you conveniently ignored my point about his runs in England and Australia. Do you call an average of 50 at a strike rate of 115 against Starc and Cummins a fluke?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I donít expect 50 - 60 run scores from Sharjeel left, right and center. If he can at least contribute a good 30-40 runs at a high run rate to start the innings, then Iím good. Low standard of batting, yes but itís much better then what Fakharís producing these days + itíll give Babar the comfort to bat more freely.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is the type of extreme overrating that has not helped Sharjeel or Pakistan cricket. His so-called peak was basically two series where he couldn’t even cross three figures. He has not achieved 1% of Warner and somehow, he was supposedly better than him in his peak.

He is still at his peak. He just doesn’t care enough to work on his weaknesses or on his fitness. The Pakistani cap is incredibly cheap these days, but he clearly has not done anything to warrant a recall to international cricket.
    most importantly he has the skills set that no other Pakistani opener has. His rivals are Fakher and Imam. Quite Ordinary compare to him so if he could just get his fitness better i would have taken him over fazool players we have who have not developed themselves despite years of cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I would rate his performance 8/10. His quick fire knock at the beginning of the innings was pivotal to Karachi Kings.

As mentioned before, there is no conclusive evidence that he had participated or agreed to any sort of fixing. You have to adhere to due process, whether you like it or not.

I see you conveniently ignored my point about his runs in England and Australia. Do you call an average of 50 at a strike rate of 115 against Starc and Cummins a fluke?
    I did not ignore anything. I don’t see his performance in Australia as a big deal at all.

I know Pakistan cricket’s standards are embarrassingly low, but the way his fans rave about the Australian series is as if he broke world records and moved mountains. He didn’t do anything extraordinary or special.

All he did was score three inconsequential and impact-less half-centuries that did not put Pakistan in a match-winning position because he threw his wicket away each time.

Pakistani fans out of sheer desperation, made him the messiah of Pakistan cricket in Limited Overs based on that performance. He was overhyped to the moon and we are seeing the results now.

The fact that Pakistani fans cannot stop talking about three useless half-centuries sums up our standing in world cricket today. No wonder we are a laughing stock.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    most importantly he has the skills set that no other Pakistani opener has. His rivals are Fakher and Imam. Quite Ordinary compare to him so if he could just get his fitness better i would have taken him over fazool players we have who have not developed themselves despite years of cricket.
    He has not even proved himself to be a better player than Abid Ali and I don’t like Abid Ali.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Based on ability and form at that time, he was better.

I didn't say he matched Warner's credentials, like number of centuries and runs scored, both just don't have the same number of matches.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPak95 View Post
    Personally, I don’t expect 50 - 60 run scores from Sharjeel left, right and center. If he can at least contribute a good 30-40 runs at a high run rate to start the innings, then I’m good. Low standard of batting, yes but it’s much better then what Fakhar’s producing these days + it’ll give Babar the comfort to bat more freely.
    The thing is, this is the justification people used for Fakhar and it never worked out for Pakistan. For Pakistan to compete with the best white ball teams in the world, we need our opener to not only get us quick-fire starts, but also score big runs.

Sharjeel is clearly not good enough to compete with the best white ball openers in the world: Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Warner, Finch, Roy, Bairstow, de Kock etc.

These batsmen not only bat aggressively but they also score big hundreds.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Based on ability and form at that time, he was better.

I didn't say he matched Warner's credentials, like number of centuries and runs scored, both just don't have the same number of matches.

Warner scored 130 and 179 in the matches where Sharjeel scored his record breaking 74 and 79.

Yes I know, he would have scored 230 and 279 if he was facing Amir, Hasan, Junaid and Imad. Yes I am now certainly convinced that he was more skillful and in better form than Warner at that time.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Warner scored 130 and 179 in the matches where Sharjeel scored his record breaking 74 and 79.

Yes I know, he would have scored 230 and 279 if he was facing Amir, Hasan, Junaid and Imad. Yes I am now certainly convinced that he was more skillful and in better form than Warner at that time.
    Doesn't matter now.

Him and Kami are the top openers in PAK right now, so have to play.

Yes, we don't have anyone of Warner's caliber right now.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If Sharjeel is the “quality” you are looking for, we will continue to occupy embarrassing rankings in Test and ODI cricket. This guy is just a homeless man’s Warner, Finch, Roy, Hales, Bairstow etc. type batsman. Probably only marginally better than Fakhar Zaman, but other sides have far better players in the same mould, and he will be competing against them.
    Sharjeel is not the "quality" I am looking for, but everything is relative. We don't have a Kohli or a Pieterson, the only actual quality batsman we have is Babar. So if I ignore the fixing aspect I would be picking Sharjeel as one of my openers if I was a Pakistan selector. Because he can smash fast bowlers better than any other Pakistan batsman, and he is a matchwinner. Yes he will get out cheaply at times, but that is the nature of the beast. If you have a better alternative let's hear it. I don't think you are serious about Abid Ali.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did not ignore anything. I donít see his performance in Australia as a big deal at all.

I know Pakistan cricketís standards are embarrassingly low, but the way his fans rave about the Australian series is as if he broke world records and moved mountains. He didnít do anything extraordinary or special.

All he did was score three inconsequential and impact-less half-centuries that did not put Pakistan in a match-winning position because he threw his wicket away each time.

Pakistani fans out of sheer desperation, made him the messiah of Pakistan cricket in Limited Overs based on that performance. He was overhyped to the moon and we are seeing the results now.

The fact that Pakistani fans cannot stop talking about three useless half-centuries sums up our standing in world cricket today. No wonder we are a laughing stock.
    Poor argument.

One man can't win you matches alone. He was the only performing batsman in that series. If we want to talk about "useless" innings, then I'd no look further than the one that was played by Babar when he scored that ton.

You obviously can't say a good word about Sharjeel because of your blatant bias against him, which is further reinforced by your pro-Sethi agenda.
    Last edited by topspin; 1st March 2020 at 22:35.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, this is the justification people used for Fakhar and it never worked out for Pakistan. For Pakistan to compete with the best white ball teams in the world, we need our opener to not only get us quick-fire starts, but also score big runs.

Sharjeel is clearly not good enough to compete with the best white ball openers in the world: Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Warner, Finch, Roy, Bairstow, de Kock etc.

These batsmen not only bat aggressively but they also score big hundreds.
    I was mainly pertaining to t20s, but yeah you're not wrong. From Sharjeel's perspective, he's just coming back so as the games he plays goes on (PSL, and international cricket assuming he's selected) the onus will be on him to make his starts count as he'd be acclimated to playing consistent cricket again. For now, let's see how his PSL campaign goes.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The comparison with Fakhar is a poor one, Fakhar is technically far looser, and does not play the ball on it's merit. He is too dumb to even play the ball in line.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Poor argument.

One man can't win you matches alone. He was the only performing batsman in that series. If we want to talk about "useless" innings, then I'd no look further than the one that was played by Babar when he scored that ton.

You obviously can't say a good word about Sharjeel because of your blatant bias against him, which is further reinforced by your pro-Sethi agenda.
    One man cannot win you matches alone, but that does not justify throwing your wicket away in reckless fashion over and over again.

Sharjeelís innings were useless in that series. A rapid half-century up the order and then throwing your wicked away while chasing 370 is basically as useless as a tuk tuk hundred which Babar scored.

Our fans act as if Sharjeel smashed 150s but was let down by the team. He wasnít - he directly contributed to Pakistanís defeats.

My bias against Sharjeel doesnít change the fact that he is massively overrated and not the David Warner that his fans think.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    The comparison with Fakhar is a poor one, Fakhar is technically far looser, and does not play the ball on it's merit. He is too dumb to even play the ball in line.
    I agree that Sharjeel has tighter technique, but he is equally dumb.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    must for WC. Better opener than everyone except Babar.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel is not the "quality" I am looking for, but everything is relative. We don't have a Kohli or a Pieterson, the only actual quality batsman we have is Babar. So if I ignore the fixing aspect I would be picking Sharjeel as one of my openers if I was a Pakistan selector. Because he can smash fast bowlers better than any other Pakistan batsman, and he is a matchwinner. Yes he will get out cheaply at times, but that is the nature of the beast. If you have a better alternative let's hear it. I don't think you are serious about Abid Ali.
    The point is that being relatively better than other Pakistani players means nothing when you are relatively inferior to players in other teams.

The reason people are excited about Babar is because he is potentially (if he isnít already) a better ODI number 3 than the likes of Root, Smith and Williamson, so he is a real game changer for Pakistan.

If he was better than the likes of Hafeez and Malik but not close to the best batsmen in the world, he wouldnít be someone to get excited about.

That is why it is pointless to overrate the likes of Sharjeel. He might be better than the other options that we as a mediocre cricket team have, but he is quite clearly inferior to the best players in his role/position.

His presence or absence makes minimal difference to our results against the top sides.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point is that being relatively better than other Pakistani players means nothing when you are relatively inferior to players in other teams.

The reason people are excited about Babar is because he is potentially (if he isn’t already) a better ODI number 3 than the likes of Root, Smith and Williamson, so he is a real game changer for Pakistan.

If he was better than the likes of Hafeez and Malik but not close to the best batsmen in the world, he wouldn’t be someone to get excited about.

That is why it is pointless to overrate the likes of Sharjeel. He might be better than the other options that we as a mediocre cricket team have, but he is quite clearly inferior to the best players in his role/position.

His presence or absence makes minimal difference to our results against the top sides.
    I will like you to ignore thia relative world when we are discussing Imad wasim and few other like Rizwan about which you said he is not competing with Buttler.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Like I said he just needs to stick around for 20 balls and he can set up these big run chases. Sharjeel should open with Fakhar.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, he hasnt shown the desire or commitment that warrants a comeback.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendAli View Post
    Fakhar hasn't been the same since Wales
    Big day today for sharjeel, ran out babar and gave steyn a wicket maiden

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"