Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    This was happening regardless of who was in power

A recession was due anyway tho but this was the trigger no one wanted
    The current administration has been on a war footing with China from the start, whereas Obama was all about building trade ties. I can't help but think that better relations might have seen some much needed co-operation which could have seen the US getting hold of much needed equipment sooner.

Maybe I'm wrong, just seems unhealthy for me for countries to be playing politics while we are being hit by a world pandemic, but once you go down that road, it is very difficult to stop.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest USA stats:

Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:
    Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Trump advises voluntary mask use against coronavirus but won't wear one himself

The U.S. government is now recommending Americans wear cloth face coverings on a voluntary basis to stem the spread of the coronavirus, President Donald Trump said on Friday, adding that he himself would not use one.

In a daily briefing with reporters, Trump stressed that the new recommendation should not be seen as replacing social distancing measures considered key to slowing the outbreak, which has now claimed more lives in New York state than the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

“With the masks, it’s going to be really a voluntary thing. You can do it, you don’t have to do it. I’m choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it and that’s OK,” Trump said.

When asked about the reasoning behind his decision, Trump cited his high-profile meetings. “As I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens ... I don’t see it for myself, I just don’t,” Trump said.

The decision to promote mask use comes as state governors and hospitals clamor for scarce supplies of medical-grade masks for first responders. It also comes as experts have questioned the administration’s decision not to urge widespread mask use, in contrast to other countries hit by the virus.

“What has changed in our recommendation? Well, it’s important to know that we now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms,” Surgeon General Jerome Adams said, noting that new evidence points to viral transmission via speaking, in addition to coughing and sneezing.

“Even those who eventually become pre-symptomatic, meaning they will develop symptoms in the future, can transmit the virus to others before they show symptoms,” he added.

Trump said that the U.S. Centers For Disease Control and Prevention are not recommending the use of medical-grade masks for most people. Trump added Americans can make cloth masks at home.

3M Co said on Friday it would make more N95 respirator masks for the United States to fight the coronavirus pandemic but warned of the “humanitarian implications” of limiting supply to other countries as Trump directed.

“I’m not at all happy with 3M,” Trump said when asked about the pushback his order had received from Canada and the company. “I heard what he had to say today. I don’t know the gentleman, but we’re not happy with 3M.”

But Trump took aim at states as well, saying they should have been better prepared to respond to the pandemic with their own stockpiles of medical supplies, and should not have expected the federal stockpile to meet their needs.

“Many of the states were totally unprepared for this, so we had to go into the federal stockpile,” Trump said. “We’re not an ordering clerk. They have to have for themselves.”

“We have been spending a tremendous amount of time, effort and billions and billions of dollars on making sure that they have what they have.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN21L39K

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Texas 'fully prepared' for coronavirus, does not see New York situation: governor

Texas is fully prepared to meet hospital needs during the coronavirus pandemic and does not expect the kind of capacity problems facing New York, Governor Greg Abbott said on Friday.

Texas has nearly 20,000 hospital beds available after a 142% increase in capacity to treat the virus, and at least 8,741 ventilators, Abbott told a news conference.

“We are fully prepared for the hospital needs of Texans,” Abbott said. “Our capacity should prevent us from facing the type of situation that New York is having to deal with today.”

New York state has recorded more than 100,000 cases of the COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the virus and nearly 3,000 coronavirus-related deaths.

Texas has reported 5,478 cases and 91 deaths with 827 people hospitalized after 55,000 state residents were tested, Abbott said.

“Texas should have the capability to provide ventilators as need arises,” the governor said.

Because COVID-19 attacks the lungs, those with severe cases often require ventilators to help them breathe.

Until this week, Texas was among the last states not to have issued statewide orders requiring residents to stay at home to slow the spread of the virus.

Facing pressure to follow such moves by neighboring New Mexico and Louisiana, Abbott asked all Texans except essential workers to remain in their homes from Thursday, apart for essential trips.

He declined to call his request a “stay-at-home” or “shelter-in-place” order, a term shunned by some conservatives who see it as an infringement on civil liberties or an overreaction that could damage the economy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L374

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Poor guy is trying his best. The state of NY has more cases than any country in the WORLD (except Italy and Spain) and that too by a long shot.
    Just seen 4 videos posted by the public showing how mainstream media is lying. Elmham St hospital did not have scores of people in waiting areas or lines of people waiting for tests outside. It's hilarious how people believe them or the leaders.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Poor guy is trying his best. The state of NY has more cases than any country in the WORLD (except Italy and Spain) and that too by a long shot.
    Tough yes for us new yorkers
    City has lost its vibe because of this virus

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US President Donald Trump has said he will not wear a face mask despite new medical guidance advising Americans to do so.

He could not see himself greeting "presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens" in the Oval Office while wearing one, he said.

He stressed that the guidance released on Friday was "voluntary".

"You do not have to do it," he said. "I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

The guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government's public health advisory agency, came as the US reported at least 270,473 confirmed cases of Covid-19, with nearly 7,000 deaths.

Until now, US health authorities had said that only the sick, or those caring for patients of coronavirus, should wear masks, but newer studies suggest that covering up one's face is important to prevent inadvertent transmission.

"From recent studies we know that the transmission from individuals without symptoms is playing a more significant role in the spread of the virus than previously understood," Mr Trump said on Friday.

However, he told reporters after announcing the CDC's new guidance: "I just don't want to do it myself."

"Sitting in the Oval Office... I somehow don't see it for myself."

Americans are now advised to use clean cloth or fabric to cover their faces whilst in public. Officials have stressed that medical masks remain in short supply, and should be left for healthcare workers.

The guidance comes as the number of cases globally climbs past one million.

Mr Trump announced the CDC's guidance at the White House daily coronavirus briefing, but repeatedly emphasised that the advisory was "voluntary".

"You don't have to do it," he said. "I'm choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it and that's OK. It may be good. Probably will."

Asked why, he said: "I just don't want to be doing [that], somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great Resolute Desk."

"I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know somehow I don't see it for myself. I just don't. Maybe I'll change my mind."

The president was pressed on US disease readiness, the federal government stimulus package, and whether the pandemic will disrupt the 2020 presidential election on 3 November.

Mr Trump insisted that his government's response has saved lives, and that the election will not be delayed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52161529

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The latest figures from the US make grim reading, with more than 1,100 deaths in a single day - the highest total for a 24-hour period anywhere in the world.

New York state remains the worst affected area with fatalities climbing to 2,935 on Friday from 2,373 the day before. State Governor Andrew Cuomo has appealed for help from other parts of the country.

"New York is in crisis. Help New York. And then pick up, decamp, and then go to the next place as this rolls across the country," he said at a news conference.

The US has so far confirmed 278,458 cases of Covid-19 and more than 7,000 deaths, according to figures compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    Tough yes for us new yorkers
    City has lost its vibe because of this virus
    Based on MSM more like. Apparently the public are being asked to stop recording outside hospitals because they are giving evidence that the hospitals are nowhere near being at capacity and in fact this is all MSM hype.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Coronavirus toll in New York City exposes wider inequalities

Under normal circumstances, low-income residents of New York City face heightened risks of economic dislocation, adverse health outcomes and workplace dangers. But in the age of the coronavirus, pre-existing inequalities are exacerbated by a disease that claims lives from all walks of life, but takes a far bigger toll on the less affluent.

Low-income areas in many United States cities tend to contain higher percentages of minorities. On a local level, maps of new cases call attention to the disproportionate number of people in working-class and deprived neighbourhoods suffering from the coronavirus.

"In theory, while the virus is an equal-opportunity offender, the impact is certainly not going to be felt equally," Ashwin Vasan, a public health expert at Columbia University told Al Jazeera. "We live in a deeply unequal society. And that plays out in every dimension of life."

Members of lower-income communities are at greater risk of becoming hospitalised and getting even sicker, Vasan noted, because they often live in more crowded conditions. And many hold jobs that place them on the frontlines of the pandemic, such as warehouse workers for delivery services that have become a lifeline to millions of Americans under lockdown.

Low-income Americans are also more likely to receive insufficient medical care, while financial insecurity can multiply the negative consequences for households coping with the stress and strain of the coronavirus.

'Endangering workers'
    Labour strikes this week served as a stark reminder of the elevated risks faced by low-income, hourly wage earners, as well as health professionals on the front lines of the pandemic.

Workers with grocery delivery service Instacart and Whole Foods staged walkouts to protest against a lack of health protections. So did Bronx hospital nurses.

"People who have been underpaid for decades are now being called 'essential' employees," Zach Lerner, the senior labour organising director at New York Communities for Change, told Al Jazeera, adding that they face an impossible plight of "having to worry about how to pay their bills and keep their families safe".

Workers at an Amazon.com Inc distribution warehouse in the New York City borough of Staten Island walked off the job on Monday to demand that the facility be shut for two weeks for deep cleaning after employees had tested positive for COVID-19.

One of the strike organisers, Chris Smalls, was dismissed by Amazon, prompting New York City Major Bill de Blasio to order an investigation into the matter. Amazon maintains that Smalls was fired for violating social distancing guidelines and refusing to stay quarantined after being exposed to a colleague who had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Smalls issued a statement saying he would continue speaking up - despite being axed - for safety improvements "in the middle of the worst pandemic of our lifetimes".

Dual health and financial threats
    In the New York City metropolitan region, health equity experts say that African-Americans and Hispanics will disproportionately continue to wage an uphill battle against the twin scourges of physical and economic exposure to COVID-19.

Data released on Wednesday by city officials suggests that the virus has hit minority areas, many of which are populated predominantly by immigrants, especially hard.

Among the hotspots are parts of western Queens and the south Bronx - areas with the lowest median incomes in the city.

According to the Migration Policy Institute, "six million immigrant workers are at the frontlines of keeping US residents healthy and fed".

Foreign-born Americans are over-represented in many professions, from physicians' offices to food production. Mass layoffs have hit those sectors particularly hard, with the hospitality and restaurant industries among the most affected.

While the $2.2 trillion stimulus package includes individual cash payments for most Americans and enhanced jobless benefits that now extend to the self-employed and gig workers, many low-wage New Yorkers are still falling through that safety net.

Undocumented immigrants - and their spouses - are not eligible for stimulus payments, and even those legal immigrants who do file and pay taxes using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN, instead of a social security number, will be ineligible.

Dawn Miller, a 56-year-old resident of the borough of Brooklyn, was laid off last month from her job in a college cafeteria. She has a pacemaker and cannot pay her rent. But she fears if she takes another customer-facing job she will greatly increase her risks of virus exposure.

"I'm scared to go out there," she told Al Jazeera. "I live paycheque to paycheque, but I don't want to take that chance right now."

Miller has been unsuccessful in her attempts to secure state unemployment insurance money. And though she is spared from eviction temporarily, her housing situation is precarious.

'Barriers to care'
    A new Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index showed that many better-off white-collar Americans are still getting paid and able to work remotely from home, whereas many lower-income and blue-collar workers do not have that option. They are forced to risk exposure on the job or are sent home without pay.

A Pew Research Center study published last week found that Hispanics in the US are more worried than other groups about being sidelined physically and financially by the pandemic.

Many of the nation's 60 million Latinos work in customer-facing leisure, hospitality and services industries. They are also less likely to have health insurance than other groups.

"Latinos are more likely to say they are concerned about the [impact of the] outbreak on their own personal health and finances than the US public overall," Mark Hugo Lopez, Pew's director of global migration and demography research told Al Jazeera.

According to Pew's findings, some 50 percent of Hispanics surveyed see the disease as a major threat to their personal financial situation, compared to 34 percent of the overall public. Some 49 percent of Hispanics see it as a threat to the day-to-day life of their local community, compared to just 36 percent of the overall public.

Columbia's University's Vasan, who is also president of mental health nonprofit Fountain House, says that while the Pew findings found elevated anxiety levels among Latino communities, "the great unifier here is income level".

"We're going to continue to face vulnerabilities like this," Vasan noted. "Whether Hurricane Katrina or Superstorm Sandy or earthquakes, they always end up falling down on the poor. This is an opportunity to reach into those cracks that are being exposed."

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/c...182906374.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Governor Andrew Cuomo says there have been a record 630 deaths in a single day in New York state.

The total number has risen to 3,565. The state has now recorded 113,704 positive cases, with 63,306 in New York City.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    New York state's coronavirus toll has risen at a devastating pace to 3,565 deaths, up from 2,935 the previous day, the largest 24-hour jump recorded there.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    RAWALPINDI: As many as 294 American citizens, including nine diplomats, departed for the US aboard a special flight from Islamabad and Karachi in the early hours of Friday morning.

According to a spokesman for the aviation division, the chartered plane first landed at Karachi airport and then at Islamabad to take back the American citizens as the US authorities had planned to evacuate its people.

The special chartered flight arrived at the Karachi airport to take 119 US citizens and then the flight reached the Islamabad International Airport to take 175 US citizens, including some diplomats, according to sources.

At both airports, special arrangements had been made to check the spread of coronavirus as scanning of passengers and spray to their luggage were carried out by the Pakistani authorities. Besides the luggage, some pets were also with the passengers.

The special flight took off for the US from Islamabad International Airport at 0145 hours.

Earlier on March 22, several US embassy staff in Islamabad had departed for America on a flight contracted by a private company.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Staff at Rikers Island prison in New York City must be provided with protective equipment, have their temperatures regularly checked for signs of Covid-19 and work in conditions with increased sanitation, a judge has ruled.

The judgment follows a lawsuit by the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association - a union representing about 9,000 officers - which demanded better protections from the virus.

In her ruling, state judge Pamela Brown said officers assigned to work in sections housing inmates who are infected with coronavirus, where there are prisoners showing symptoms, or who transport such inmates, must be given N95 level masks.

Former Hollywood producer and convicted sex offender Harvey Weinstein is an inmate at Rikers Island.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    President Trump says federal assistance will now be focused on areas that need it most.

"In some cases we are telling governors we cannot go there as we don't think they need it, or someone else needs it," he said.

"There will be a lot of death, unfortunately. There will be death. We are looking for an obvious focus on the hardest hit regions.

"Some spring up, they hit you like you got hit by a club."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US President Donald Trump has warned Americans to prepare for the "toughest week" of the coronavirus pandemic yet, predicting a surge in deaths.

At his daily briefing, Mr Trump said "there will be death" in a grim assessment of the days ahead.

He sought to reassure the worst-hit states, promising medical supplies and military personnel to combat the virus.

But in contrast to his warning, Mr Trump suggested easing social-distancing guidelines for Easter.

"We have to open our country again," Mr Trump told a news conference at the White House on Saturday. "We don't want to be doing this for months and months and months."

Mr Trump's calls to relax restrictions on life came on the day confirmed coronavirus infections in the US surpassed 300,000, the highest number in the world.

As of Saturday, there were almost 8,500 deaths from Covid-19 in the US, with most in New York state - the epicentre of the outbreak.

On Saturday, New York state recorded 630 more coronavirus deaths, another daily record that takes its toll to 3,565. The state now has almost as many cases - over 113,000 - as the whole of Italy.

Elsewhere in the world, there has been cause for optimism as the number of new infections and deaths from coronavirus has started to gradually diminish.

In Italy, the number of coronavirus patients in intensive care units dropped for the first time since the outbreak began on Saturday.

Meanwhile in Spain, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said the country was "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

Globally, more than 60,000 people have died and more than 1.1 million have been infected, Johns Hopkins University in the US says.

What did President Trump say in his briefing?
    President Trump gave a candid assessment of what lies ahead for the US in the coming weeks.

"This will be probably the toughest week between this week and next week, and there will be a lot of death, unfortunately, but a lot less death than if this wasn't done but there will be death," Mr Trump said.

To support states in their fight against Covid-19, Mr Trump said his administration would be deploying a "tremendous amount of military, thousands of soldiers, medical workers, professionals".

The military personnel will "soon" be advised of their assignments, he said, adding that "1,000 military personnel" were being deployed to New York City.

Mr Trump also addressed his use of the Defence Production Act, a Korean-War-era law which gives him powers to control the production and supply of US-made medical products.

He said he was "very disappointed" with 3M, a US company that makes masks, saying it "should be taking care of our country" instead of selling to others.

But he rejected accusations that the US had committed an act of "modern piracy" by redirecting 200,000 Germany-bound masks for its own use.

US accused of 'piracy' over mask 'confiscation'
    On the question of easing social-distancing restrictions, Mr Trump reiterated a familiar theme.

"The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself," Mr Trump said, expressing hope rules could be relaxed for Easter services.

Trump's lockdown frustration grows
    Analysis by BBC North America correspondent, Peter Bowes

By returning to the theme that "the cure cannot be worse than the problem", President Trump again revealed his frustration that America is still at a standstill.

Mr Trump has repeatedly expressed his desire to get people out of their homes and back to work.

While opining that the virus had to be vanquished quickly, Mr Trump restated his view that more people could die because of measures being taken to mitigate the impact of Covid-19, than the disease itself.

He warned that some hard decisions had to be made. "We cannot let this continue," he added, referring to nation's stagnation. "We're not going to destroy our country."

What about the rest of the world?

The UK saw a record number of deaths in a day on Saturday - 708 - but the number of confirmed new coronavirus cases fell. The total number of people who have died in hospitals is now 4,313.
    British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's pregnant fiancée Carrie Symonds said she had spent several days in bed with symptoms of the virus. She said she was "on the mend" after seven days of rest. Mr Johnson tested positive for the virus last week and has been conducting cabinet meetings via video link.
    Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez extended lockdown measures in the country until 25 April, saying the restrictions were "saving lives". The toll of 809 deaths in one day is the lowest in Spain for a week.
    Italy has seen its first drop in the number of patients in intensive care during the outbreak. The number of new deaths - 681 - has taken the country's death toll to 15,362 but is smaller than in previous days.
    China observed a three-minute silence in remembrance of more than 3,000 people who died of coronavirus in the country. In Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, all traffic lights turned red temporarily.
    Mainland China reported 30 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, up from 19 a day earlier. Most of the cases involved people who had entered from abroad
    Kuwait has recorded its first death, and a 79-year-old woman has become the first person to die of coronavirus in Georgia.

What's the latest in New York?
    The state has counted 113,074 confirmed cases, 63,036 of them in New York City.

New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo said infections could peak in between four and 14 days.

Mr Cuomo said the number of cases and deaths were now rising at a slower rate in New York City, but there was a worrying increase in cases in nearby Long Island.

Meanwhile a new overflow hospital - the 2,500-bed Javits Center in Manhattan - would be staffed and equipped by the federal government, he said.

Some 85,000 people, about a quarter of them from other states, have signed up to help tackle the outbreak in New York, the worst in the US.

New York City's mayor has sent messages to its eight million inhabitants urging qualified healthcare workers to volunteer.

"Anyone who's not already in this fight, we need you," said Bill de Blasio, appealing for help from "any health care professional: Doctor, nurse, respiratory therapist, you name it".

What else is happening in the US?

The US Navy says nearly half the crew of aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt - which has docked in Guam after virus cases were feared on board - have been tested and there have been 155 confirmed cases. No one has been transferred to hospital and 1,548 sailors have left the vessel and gone ashore. Earlier this week the ship's commander was removed after he accused the navy of not doing enough to halt the outbreak.
    President Donald Trump has said he will not wear a face mask despite new medical guidance advising Americans to do so. He could not see himself greeting "presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens" in the Oval Office while wearing one, he said.
    Another virus hotspot, the southern state of Louisiana, said deaths had jumped by 20% to 370 on Friday, with 10,000 confirmed cases. Governor John Bel Edwards urged residents to respect his stay-at-home order, asking them to "do a better job". The outbreak in New Orleans has a per capita death rate twice as high as New York's. Doctors and public health officials have suggested that high rates of obesity and related conditions could be playing a role, Reuters reports.
    Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he would not retaliate after President Trump blocked exports of personal protective equipment for medical staff. He had earlier said it would be a "mistake" for the US to block trade when the US receives the help of Canadian nurses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52168682

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says that the daily number of deaths and people requiring hospital treatment due to coronavirus has been "dropping for the first time" in the past few days.

But in his daily briefing he warns that it is too early to know what this data means.

Mr Cuomo says the total number of confirmed coronavirus infections in New York is now 122,031, after a rise of 8,327 cases.

There have now been 594 more deaths for a total of 4,159 deaths, he says.

He adds that 74% of people requiring hospital have been discharged.

He also warns that it is too early to know if the apex - when the most infections are occurring - will be followed by a steep drop-off in cases or a slow decline that will continue to overwhelm hospitals.

A graphic on display as Mr Cuomo speaks refers to the apex as the "Battle of the Mountain Top".

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Jersey and Louisiana, two of the hardest-hit US states, have just reported their latest coronavirus tally.

New Jersey, which borders New York, reported more than 3,000 new infections on Sunday, bringing the state-wide total to 37,505. The state has seen 917 coronavirus-related deaths.

The southern state of Louisiana reported a 20% case increase on Sunday, with 3,010 news infections. There are over 13,000 cases in Louisiana and 477 recorded deaths.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden says he will be wearing a face mask when he goes out in public.

The former vice-president told ABC News This Week programme that people should "follow the science, listen to the experts".

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently recommended that Americans should wear simple cloth masks "in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain".

President Trump has said he will probably not wear the face covering.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Tiger at New York's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York City has tested positive for the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in the first known case of COVID-19 in an animal in the United States or a tiger globally, a zoo spokesman said on Sunday.

Nadia, the 4-year-old female Malayan tiger that tested positive, had developed a dry cough but is expected to recover, the Wildlife Conservation Society, which manages the zoo, said in a statement.

“We tested the cat out of an abundance of caution and will ensure any knowledge we gain about COVID-19 will contribute to the world’s continuing understanding of this novel coronavirus,” WCS said in the statement.

The positive test marked the first coronavirus case for a tiger anywhere and the first of an animal in the United States, spokesman Stephen Sautner said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21N0WV

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    New Mexico man, angered by not qualifying for coronavirus check, tried to set wife on fire, police allege

A New Mexico man tried to set his disabled wife on fire because he was angry he didn’t qualify for a coronavirus-related stimulus check, police alleged.

Cops arrested, Joe Macias, 63, this past Wednesday after he got into an argument with his wife and allegedly doused her with gasoline, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

The wife told police that Macias had come home around 5 p.m. with a four-pack of beer, “upset because he did not qualify for the stimulus check.”

Macias threw gas on his wife and their mobile home, police said.

The wife told officers Macias pulled out a cigarette and tried to light it several times but was unsuccessful because gasoline got on the lighter.

Police said officers later found Macias walking down the street wearing gasoline-soaked clothes. Officers also discovered the woman, with her hair and pajamas soaked in gasoline, on the floor inside a nearby trailer.

Macias was charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and aggravated battery against a household member.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexic...heck-wife-fire

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel bad for Americans that DT is their man in charge at such horrible period in their modern history. They have been at quite a few wars, but their own citizens life has never been in danger. However this enemy is at their doorsteps and killing them and of all the president they have had it's arguably the worst president ever in charge.

I know many countries has been hit by Corona, but while hundreds of people were dying in Italy this buffoon was saying it's just a flu instead of preparing for the worst. Even now this lunatic is bragging about his press conference tv ratings instead of being sad about all the people dying. It's like having a clown in charge.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    I feel bad for Americans that DT is their man in charge at such horrible period in their modern history. They have been at quite a few wars, but their own citizens life has never been in danger. However this enemy is at their doorsteps and killing them and of all the president they have had it's arguably the worst president ever in charge.

I know many countries has been hit by Corona, but while hundreds of people were dying in Italy this buffoon was saying it's just a flu instead of preparing for the worst. Even now this lunatic is bragging about his press conference tv ratings instead of being sad about all the people dying. It's like having a clown in charge.
    Whats more demoralizing is that people still support him blindly some even on this forum. I really don't know how anyone could've handled this any worse. Here is a clip of his puppets downplaying coronavirus only a few weeks ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDailyS...46713523453957

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Philadelphia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a doctor at a children's hospital in the Philadelphia area. It's a strange time. Children are not severely affected by this virus for some reason which is strange. Our inpatient numbers are way down for this time of year. Meanwhile down the street the adult hospital is starting to see more and more cases. Soon they will ask us to start helping take care of adult patients which will be challenging for me as a pediatrician, but that's what is required. Hoping everything settles down in the next few weeks. People are doing a decent job with social distancing orders for now, but if this continues into the summer, no way people will follow the orders. Main hope right now is that a vaccine is discovered soon and makes it out of human testing phase. Many labs around the world are working on this.

Greatness is a choice. Mediocrity is a disease.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Trump blocks Fauci from answering

US President Donald Trump has been praising a malaria drug called Hydroxychloroquine as a possible cure for Covid-19. His medical advisers though have been somewhat more reserved on this, saying repeatedy there have been no studies to sufficiently confirm this.

At Sunday night's press conference in the White House, Mr Trump again praised the drug - and when a reporter asked Dr Anthony Fauci of the government's Coronavirus Task Force what he thought of the drug, the president cut in and didn't let the expert speak.

Instead, Mr Trump told the reporter Dr Fauci had answered this already about 15 times didn't need to do so again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The number of new infections and deaths in New York, the worst hit state in the country, has dipped. The state reported 594 deaths on Sunday, down from 630 on Saturday.

President Trump described the cases as "levelling off", saying he saw "light at the end of the tunnel".

US top adviser Dr Anthony Fauci however, said the short-term outlook was "really bad". The US Surgeon General Jerome Adams echoed this, saying the upcoming week would be "the hardest and saddest week of most Americans' lives.

In cities like Washington DC, Detroit and New Orleans, the number of virus cases continue to grow - many governors have warned of a dire shortage of medical supplies, including ventilators and face masks.

Several southern and Midwestern states, however, have resisted enforcing a lockdown.

The US has reported 337,274 confirmed infections and 9,619 deaths from Covid-19, by far the highest tally in the world.
    Article share tools

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    President Donald Trump has expressed hope coronavirus cases were "levelling off" in US hotspots, saying he saw "light at the end of the tunnel".

On Sunday, New York, the epicentre of the US outbreak, reported a drop in the number of new infections and deaths.

Mr Trump described the dip as a "good sign", but warned of more deaths as the pandemic neared its "peak" in the US.

"In the days ahead, America will endure the peak of this pandemic," Mr Trump said at his daily coronavirus briefing.

He said more medical personnel and supplies, including masks and ventilators, would be sent to the states that are most in need of assistance.

Deborah Birx, a member of the president's coronavirus task force, said the situation in Italy and Spain, where infections and deaths have fallen in recent days, was "giving us hope on what our future could be".

"We're hopeful over the next week that we'll see a stabilisation of cases in these metropolitan areas where the outbreak began several weeks ago," Dr Birx said at the same news conference.

Optimism from Dr Birx and Mr Trump contrasted with other leading US experts, including top advisor Dr Anthony Fauci, who earlier said the short-term outlook was "really bad".

The US surgeon general, meanwhile, warned that this will be "the hardest and the saddest week of most Americans' lives".

"This is going to be our Pearl Harbor moment, our 9/11 moment," Surgeon General Jerome Adams told Fox News on Sunday.

The US has reported 337,274 confirmed infections and 9,619 deaths from Covid-19, by far the highest tally in the world.

What's the latest in New York?

On Sunday, Governor Andrew Cuomo reported 594 new deaths giving an overall total of 4,159 deaths in New York, the state hit hardest by the coronavirus so far.

He said there were now 122,000 New York residents who had been infected. But he added that nearly 75% of patients who have required hospitalisation had now been discharged.

Patients requiring hospital are down for the first time in a week, and deaths are down from the previous day, he said.

There were 630 deaths reported in the previous 24 hours.

"The coronavirus is truly vicious and effective at what the virus does," he told reporters in Albany, the state capital.

"It's an effective killer."

It's too early to know if New York is currently experiencing its apex - the highest rate of infection that graphics behind Mr Cuomo referred to as "the Battle on the Mountain Top".

He also said it was too early to know if cases would drop off quickly after the apex, or if they would decline slowly - and at a rate that would still overwhelm hospitals.

"The statisticians will not give you a straight answer on anything," he said about the so-called "curve" - the chart that tracks the rate of infections.

"At first it was straight up and straight down, or a total 'V'. Or maybe its up with a plateau and we're somewhere on the plateau. They don't know."

In other developments around the world:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital, 10 days after he tested positive for coronavirus. He was expected to remain there overnight for what Downing Street described as "routine tests"
    The Queen has said the UK "will succeed" in its fight against the pandemic, in a rallying message to the nation
    In the UK's daily coronavirus briefing, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he "cannot rule out further steps" being introduced in terms of social distancing - but that none are imminent
    Hours later, Scotland's chief medical officer, Dr Catherine Calderwood, resigned after it emerged she had visited her second home, despite the lockdown measures
    Italy reported that 525 people had died in the previous 24 hours - the lowest daily figure since 19 March
    Another 674 people died in Spain - the lowest daily death toll in over a week
    Millions of Indians have turned off their lights for a nationwide candle-lit vigil, heeding a call for unity as the country battles coronavirus

What is the situation around the US?

Infection rates and new deaths are growing in cities such as Washington DC, Detroit and New Orleans, even as around 90% of Americans are under some form of mandatory lockdown requiring them to stay home.

Governors of states continue to warn of a dire shortage of needed medical supplies, including ventilators and face masks.

New Jersey, a state that borders New York, reported more than 3,000 new infections on Sunday, bringing the state-wide total to 37,505. There have been 917 coronavirus-related deaths in New Jersey.

The southern state of Louisiana - one of the hardest hit in the US - reported a 20% increase on Sunday with 3,010 new cases. It also reported 477 deaths.

Michigan - with the third worst outbreak in the US - has suffered nearly 16,000 cases and 617 deaths, officials said on Sunday. Detroit continues to be the state's major hotspot with nearly 5,000 cases and 158 deaths.

Speaking to NBC News earlier on Sunday, Dr Anthony Fauci - the nation's chief immunologist - said it was too early to say the situation was "under control," as President Donald Trump has frequently claimed.

"That would be a false statement. We are struggling to get it under control and that's the issue that's at hand right now."

Surgeon General Adams said that California and Washington had seen their transmission rates slow due to mitigation efforts, but warned that everyone must follow the federal government's health guidance, including wearing a face mask in public.

"I want Americans to understand that, as hard as this week is going to be, there is a light at the end of the tunnel if everyone does their part for the next 30 days," he said.

What else did President Trump say?
    President Trump devoted a large part of Sunday's news conference to discussing an anti-malaria drug being used to treat Covid-19 in the US.

The drug, hydroxychloroquine, had shown some "very strong, powerful signs" of its potential, Mr Trump said.

Most experts say hydroxychloroquine is an unproven, experimental treatment whose effectiveness in treating Covid-19 is not well understood.

Yet the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the drug for "emergency use" in Covid-19 patients admitted to hospital.

Mr Trump said his administration had ordered 29 million doses of the drug, which were to be distributed across the US.

"If it does work, it would be a shame if we didn't do it early," Mr Trump said. "I'm not a doctor, but I have common sense."

Elsewhere in the US:

Several governors say Mr Trump should issue a national 'stay-at-home' order, after nine mostly southern and Midwestern states have resisted enforcing a lockdown
    A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for coronavirus and several other big cats are exhibiting symptoms. They are thought to have been infected by a zookeeper
    Mr Trump says he will defy the government's guidance to wear masks in public, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the new mandate last week

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...1#post10719811

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The situation in Italy and Spain, where infections and deaths have fallen in recent days, is "giving hope" on what the United States' "future could be", says Deborah Birx, one of President Trump's coronavirus advisers.

On Sunday, New York, the epicentre of the US outbreak, reported a drop in the number of new infections and deaths.

"We're hopeful over the next week that we'll see a stabilisation of cases in these metropolitan areas where the outbreak began several weeks ago," Dr Birx said.

On Sunday, Italy reported that 525 people had died in the previous 24 hours - the lowest daily figure since 19 March.

Another 674 people died in Spain - the lowest daily death toll in over a week.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The US has reported more than 337,000 cases of coronavirus - more than the next two countries, Italy and Spain, combined. Meanwhile, Canada has seen more than 15,900 cases

The US surgeon general warned that the coming week could be "the hardest and saddest of most Americans' lives", as the national death toll nears 10,000

A new US government report says hospitals are experiencing "severe shortages of testing supplies" and "widespread shortages" of personal protective equipment (PPE), which is putting staff and patients at risk

In Canada, the premier of Ontario province - which has about 42% of the country's population - said hospitals there would run out of PPE in a week

In Texas, state troopers have begun stopping and screening drivers coming in from neighbouring Louisiana, requiring them to provide their personal details and observe a mandatory two-week quarantine

The number of deaths in New York state dipped slightly on Sunday, to 594, compared to 630 on Saturday. However, Governor Andrew Cuomo said it was too early to tell if this was a pattern

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Further insights into that female tiger that tested positive for the coronavirus at the Bronx Zoo in New York ...

The news follows on the heels of a laboratory study published last week that shows domestic cats can become infected with Sars-CoV-2 (as this coronavirus is officially known) when given high doses.

Furthermore, the team of researchers from institutes in Harbin, China, were able to show that cats were able to transmit the virus to other cats.

And a cat in Belgium has reportedly been infected with the virus by its owner.

Dr Sarah Caddy, a veterinarian from the University of Cambridge, said the news about the tiger was not wholly unexpected, given the Chinese study.

But, she said: "It is surprising that the tiger has become infected with what must have been a fairly low dose of virus – we can assume the tiger did not have continual close contact with the asymptomatic zoo keeper."

She said one possibility was that tigers in captivity could be more susceptible - in part, perhaps, because of their genes. There is a 5% difference between the genomes of tigers and domestic cats. The genome is the DNA contained in the nuclei of cells

Interestingly, the Harbin study found that ferrets were also susceptible to the virus, but dogs, pigs, chickens and ducks were less so.
    So what does this all mean for the vast majority of us who are in lockdown? There is no evidence that pets of any kind can be a source of the virus. The current pandemic is undoubtedly driven by human-to-human transmission.

But some scientists have advised that pet owners should take the usual precautions of hand washing, and might choose to avoid overly close contact with their animals - especially if they think they might be infected with the coronavirus.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for coronavirus and several other big cats are exhibiting symptoms. They are thought to have been infected by a zookeeper

Omggggggggggg this corona is even jumping to more species now. I'm afraid if this jumps back from tiger to another human it will be even more dangerous.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    New York state has more than 122,000 coronavirus cases - about a third of all the cases in the US - and the daily news briefings from Governor Andrew Cuomo have become required viewing for many.

In today's briefing, Mr Cuomo said social distancing appeared to be working, with the death rate "flat for two days in a row", and both the number of hospital admissions, and people in intensive care, going down.

This "would suggest a possible flattening of the curve", he said, adding: "It is hopeful but it is also inconclusive, and it still depends on what we do... and how successful we are at social distancing."

Mr Cuomo also said:

Schools and non-essential businesses would stay closed until at least 29 AprilHe was going to ask President Donald Trump whether the hospital navy ship sent to New York, the USNS Comfort, could be used for coronavirus patients, to help relieve overloaded local hospitals. Currently, the ship is just designated for non-coronavirus patientsThere was a "danger is getting over-confident too quickly" and loosening social distancing measures too soon. "Hong Kong has made that mistake, South Korea has made that mistake. We're not going to make that mistake," he said.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    More from the briefing by New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo.

He says the number of deaths is "frightening". He added he has kept a sense of perspective by talking to his daughters, who are "frankly wiser than myself sometimes".

"We like to think we can fix everything - we can't... the undeniable truth here is that this virus is a deadly enemy, and we will lose people who are vulnerable to the virus," says Mr Cuomo.

"The challenge is to make sure we don't lose anyone who could have been saved if our healthcare system was operating fully."

"We're also very aware of the mental health aspect of this situation, the stress, the isolation that this has caused. People are trying in their own way to grapple with what this means."

He added that mindfulness app Headspace was offering free resources to New Yorkers, while the state also had an emotional support hotline.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York has announced it is likely to start temporarily burying victims of coronavirus in a park because the city's morgues are almost full.

The chairman of the city council health committee said morgues were now dealing with "the equivalent of an ongoing 9/11" as COVID-19 spread.

"Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line," Mark Levine said on Twitter.

"It will be done in a dignified, orderly - and temporary - manner. But it will be tough for NYers to take."

Hospital morgues - which typically hold around 15 bodies - are full, so 80 refrigerated lorries have been sent to hospitals but they too are close to capacity.

Funeral homes are overwhelmed and the city's cemeteries cannot process burials fast enough.

Mr Levine added: "It's not just deaths in hospitals which are up. On an average day before this crisis there were 20-25 deaths at home in NYC.

"Now in the midst of this pandemic the number is 200-215.

"The goal is to avoid scenes like those in Italy, where the military was forced to collect bodies from churches and even off the streets."

Although it is currently only a contingency plan, Mr Levine said it might start happening "soon" and that New York was entering what is expected to be the worst week of the crisis so far.

The location of the park earmarked by officials has not been revealed and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said: "I don't want to go into detail because I don't think it's a great thing to be talking about publicly."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-full-11969522

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    More than 10,000 people have now died from coronavirus in the US, according to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking the pandemic. The death toll is currently 10,335, with more than 347,000 confirmed cases in the US.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    At least 300 million Americans - approximately 90% of the population - have been told to stay at home. And last week, the nation's top infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, said he believed all states should issue stay-at-home orders.

So why isn't the whole of the US under lockdown? It's partly because a lot of political power in the US is decentralised - and it's down to individual state governments to issue stay-at-home orders.

So far, the governors of nine states have so far stopped short of asking all residents to remain indoors. Those states are Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, South Carolina, Utah and Wyoming, while Oklahoma has only ordered older and vulnerable residents to stay home.

Many of those governors argue that the outbreak is not as serious in their states - or that the decision is best left to local officials in individual cities and counties.

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, for example, said that "a targeted approach is what is working for us... people are misled by this idea that this stay-at-home order is magical".

Meanwhile, South Dakota Governor, Kristi Noem, said "South Dakota is not New York City". She added: "The people themselves are primarily responsible for their safety. They are the ones that are entrusted with expansive freedoms."

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Trump says he, others will be tested regularly

President Donald Trump said on Monday that he and others, without specifying who, would be regularly tested for the coronavirus, a pandemic disease that has killed more than 10,000 Americans and throttled the U.S. economy.

“I think we’ll probably have maybe quite a few tests, it’s not the worst idea, you know the system of testing now is so quick and so easy,” the president said in a White House press briefing.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Monday that he had taken a test for coronavirus, and was clear. The president has himself taken two coronavirus tests. Trump has now been tested twice for the coronavirus and both times tested negative.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21O320

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    President Trump said the US had "now performed 1.79m tests" - adding that "nobody has done more testing" and that he believed the US had "more [coronavirus] cases [than other countries] because we have more tests".

The US has lagged behind other countries in testing until recently. President Trump also highlighted his administration's efforts to help state governments, maintaining that some governors sound "very happy" during discussions with his administration.

"They may see you [the media] and say 'ooh, we're not happy' - but they're very happy on the phone," Mr Trump said.

He has recently hit back at Democratic state governors who have criticised the federal government's response to the outbreak

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mr Trump said he had agreed with the New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's request that the USNS Comfort - a navy hospital ship - could be used to treat coronavirus patients.

He also highlighted efforts to distribute and produce more personal protective equipment for health workers - saying government departments had distributed 1.7m N95 respirator masks, and 26.5m surgical masks. He also said he had reached an agreement with 3M, a major mask manufacturer whom he had a row with last week, to supply 165m masks for frontline healthcare workers.

Trump said he was "being told most of the critical needs are being more than met".

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Four Indian nationals die due to COVID-19

New York: Four Indian nationals in the US have died due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a Malayalee diaspora organisation.

Aleyamma Kuriakose (65) died in New York due to the COVID-19 infection.

The Federation of Kerala Associations in North America (FOKANA) confirmed the deaths of three other Indian nationals due to coronavirus – Thankachan Enchenattu, 51, Abraham Samuel, 45, and Shawn Abraham, 21.

FOKANA is an umbrella organisation of Malayalee associations in North America and Canada.

The organisation and members of the community expressed profound sadness over the demise of the persons, expressing condolences to their family and friends.

The Consulate General of India in New York said that it is in touch with the families of the deceased.

New York, the epicentre of the pandemic in the US, has over 113,000 coronavirus cases in the US. New York City alone has more than 63,000 coronavirus patients, and over 2,620 deaths.

The state had also recorded the highest single increase in the number of deaths from COVID-19 in a single day between April 2 and 3 when 562 people had died, one person dying from coronavirus almost every two-and-a-half minutes.

In the 24 hours since April 4, the death toll grew to 630, “all-time increase” up to a total of 3565, up from 2,935 on Friday morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo said.

Cuomo has said the apex in the state, the point where the number of infections on a daily basis hits the high point, is still about 4-8 days away.

Source : https://telanganatoday.com/four-indi...ue-to-covid-19

even 21 year old has died due to this virus !

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Stark statistics from Chicago health officials have underscored the heavy toll of coronavirus on black Americans.

Black Chicagoans account for half of all coronavirus cases in the city and more than 70% of deaths, despite making up 30% of the population.

Other cities with large black populations, including Detroit, Milwaukee, New Orleans and New York, have become coronavirus hotspots.

The US has recorded nearly 370,000 virus cases and almost 11,000 deaths.

Globally there have been nearly 75,000 deaths and more than 1.3m cases total.

Read more on

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...al.link1_.auin

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    An Illinois man fatally shot his partner before turning the gun on himself because he was afraid they both had coronavirus, police said.

Authorities discovered the bodies of Patrick Jesernik, 54, and Cheryl Schriefer, 59, at their Lockport Township home on Thursday.

The two had each been shot once, police say, and were found in separate rooms, with a gun lying near Jesernik's body.

Both tested negative for Covid-19 in their post-mortem examinations.

Family of the couple told police that Jesernik had been scared both he and Schriefer had contracted the virus. Schriefer - who had reportedly had recent difficulty breathing - was tested two days before her death. The relatives did not believe she had yet received results.

The individual who contacted police had been asked by Jesernik's parents to check on their son because they had not heard from him, Will County Sheriff's Office said in a press release. The couple's address had no previous calls for authorities related to domestic disputes and "very little" police contact.

Investigation by local authorities found that Jesernik had shot Schriefer in the back of the head before turning the gun on himself. There were no signs of a struggle.

"During the current Covid-19 pandemic, the vast majority of service calls that deputies have been responding to involve domestic disputes and crisis intervention calls," the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump 'has stake in anti-Malaria drug'

Hydroxychloroquine. Chances are you only heard that word recently. And there's an even higher chance you heard it because it was mentioned by US President Donald Trump.

Trump has been pushing the drug - a known anti-malarial drug - as the treatment for the virus, encouraging patients to take it, saying: "What do you have to lose?"

Perhaps the real question is - what does Trump have to gain? Quite a bit, says a report by the New York Times.

The report suggests that Trump himself has a "small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine".

The report also suggests that several other pharmaceutical companies also stand to profit - including those with shareholders that have connections to Trump.

But one doctor believes there are more noble reasons for the president's interest.

"I understand why [he's] pushing it. He has to project hope," said Dr Joshua Rosenberg of the Brooklyn Hospital Centre. "Even if there isn't a lot of science behind it, beccause it is at this point, the best, most available option for use."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The acting US navy secretary said he was sorry for calling the commander of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier "too naive or too stupid", drawing a response from President Donald Trump who called the criticism "a rough statement".

"I apologise for any confusion this choice of words may have caused," Thomas Modly said late on Monday, adding he does not believe Captain Brett E Crozier is stupid or naive.

I also want to apologise directly to Captain Crozier, his family, and the entire crew of the carrier for any pain my remarks may have caused," he said referring to his speech that was widely reported in the media.

Modly's public ridicule came after a letter by the revered former commander pleading for help for his coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier was leaked. Subsequently, Crozier was relieved of his duties.

"If he didn't think that information was going to get out into the public in this information age that we live in, then he was ... too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this," Modly said earlier. "The alternative is that he did it on purpose."

US Navy relieves commander of coronavirus-hit ship over memo leak

Crozier, who took command of the Theodore Roosevelt in November, wrote a four-page letter describing a bleak situation on board the carrier as more of his crew began falling ill.

In his letter, Crozier called for "decisive action" - removing more than 4,000 sailors from the ship and isolating them - and said unless the navy acted immediately it would be failing to properly safeguard "our most trusted asset - our sailors".

According to a person familiar with the conversation, Defense Secretary Mark Esper's staff told Modly he must apologise. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation.

'Tone-deaf'

Crew members have been taken off the ship to be tested for the coronavirus. At least 173 sailors on board the ship tested positive as of Monday, and about 2,000 of the 4,865 crew members had been taken off. The navy has offered no estimate of when the ship might return to duty.

While skewering Crozier, Modly also admonished the crew. He suggested by cheering Crozier when he departed the carrier last week, they were overlooking their most basic duty to defend US interests.

"So think about that when you cheer the man off the ship who exposed you to that," he said. "I understand you love the guy. It's good that you love him. But you're not required to love him."

A sailor on board the ship told Reuters news agency that Modly's speech only angered the crew.

"Nobody likes what he had to say... He made everyone more irritated," said the sailor, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Adam Smith, a Democrat, called on Monday for Modly's removal.

"Acting Secretary Modly's decision to address the sailors on the Roosevelt and personally attack Captain Crozier shows a tone-deaf approach more focused on personal ego than one of the calm, steady leadership we so desperately need in this crisis," Smith said in a statement.

Crozier 'made a mistake'

President Trump on Monday said he may get involved, agreeing that Modly's criticism of Crozier was "a rough statement". He said Crozier made a mistake when he sent a memo to several people laying out his concerns about the crew and the virus.

"You have two good people and they're arguing... I'm good at settling these arguments. So I may look into it in great detail ... and I'll be able to figure it out very fast," Trump said.

The president said Crozier had a good career prior to this incident, adding, "I don't want to destroy somebody for having a bad day."

In his apology, Modly said he believes Crozier is "smart and passionate".

"I believe ... he sent his alarming email with the intention of getting it into the public domain in an effort to draw public attention to the situation on his ship," he said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...085843229.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York records largest spike in deaths

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has just updated the death toll in the state, which is still the hardest hit location in the US.

On Monday, 731 people died from coronavirus complications, the largest single-day rise.

There are now a total of 38,836 cases and 5,489 deaths in New York.

Neighbouring New Jersey has just surpassed 1,000 deaths, says Cuomo.

"We are projecting we are reaching a plateau," in the level of new patients requiring hospital, says the governor.

He adds that the city and federal government have created around 3,000 new emergency hospital beds to help relieve overcrowded hospitals, where medical workers are beginning to be sickened by the virus in large numbers.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Illinois Governor JB Pritzker has announced the largest single-day increase in coronavirus related deaths.

According to the governor, 73 people died in the last 24 hours.

There have now been 380 coronavirus-related fatalities in Illinois.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    United States deports Haitians despite coronavirus fears

The United States, the new epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic, deported 61 Haitian migrants on Tuesday despite fears of further spreading the deadly disease in the poorest country in the Americas.

Some U.S. lawmakers, immigration advocates and Haitian human rights activists said it was irresponsible for the United States to continue deportations to Haiti, which is ill-equipped to contain any outbreak of disease due to inadequate sanitation infrastructure and healthcare services.

The densely populated country last month closed its borders after detecting its first two cases of the novel coronavirus, which causes the respiratory illness COVID-19, a tally that has since risen to 25 compared to more than 380,000 in the United States.

None of the deportees on Tuesday had any symptoms before boarding the flight, although they had not been tested for the virus and could be asymptomatic, Haiti’s foreign minister, Claude Joseph, told a virtual news conference.

Three migrants whom the United States deported on a March 26 flight to Guatemala and who arrived without virus symptoms have since been hospitalized after testing positive.

The Haitian deportees would be placed in quarantine on arrival, Joseph said. Critics question how effective this is, with multiple local media reports of those quarantined escaping.

“If this leads to more cases, Haiti isn’t prepared to respond and our whole region remains at risk,” wrote Representative Andy Levin, a Democrat, on Twitter.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Haiti Foreign Ministry spokesman Israel Jacky Cantave told Reuters the ministry had negotiated with U.S. officials for the flight not to include any migrants with a criminal record. The country is trying to decongest its prisons that are particularly vulnerable to an outbreak of disease.

As such it received fewer deportees than originally proposed, Cantave said.

Guatemala has also asked the United States to limit its deportations to the country to 25 persons per plane because of concerns over the spread of the coronavirus.

Haiti’s government has closed schools and most industrial parks in a bid to prevent the spread of the virus. But with most Haitians working in the informal economy and living hand-to-mouth, it is struggling to get them to stay at home.

Already last year, rights organizations were warning of a looming food crisis due to the economic impact of political unrest, racing inflation and a bad harvest.

Authorities have started distributing packages of food staples such as bread and rice to particularly vulnerable households. They are also distributing public handwashing stations and disinfecting public squares in some neighborhoods like the wealthy Petionville suburb of Port-au-Prince.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-he...KBN21P3GG?il=0

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The US recorded the most coronavirus deaths in a single day with 1,736 fatalities reported on Tuesday.

It brings the total number of deaths in the country to 12,722, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The US has more than 398,000 confirmed cases, the highest number in the world. Global cases have exceeded 1.4 million.

However during a press conference President Donald Trump said the US might be getting to the top of the "curve".

Meanwhile the city of Wuhan in China, where the infection first emerged, ended its 11-week lockdown.

The new figures announced on Tuesday are up on the previous record of 1,344 which was recorded on 4 April.

The number of deaths recorded on Tuesday is expected to rise with some states yet to share their totals.

The family of American singer-songwriter John Prine has confirmed his death from complications related to coronavirus.

Known for songs such as Angel from Montgomery and Sam Stone, Prine died in Nashville on Tuesday at the age of 73. His wife tested positive for coronavirus and recovered however Prine was hospitalised last month with symptoms and placed on a ventilator.

A number of musicians including Bruce Springsteen and Margo Price have paid tribute to him.

How hard has New York been hit?

A large proportion of the deaths announced were from New York state. Widely considered the epicentre of the outbreak, it recorded 731 deaths on Tuesday.

It is on the cusp of overtaking the entire country of Italy with its number of confirmed cases.

Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state appeared to be nearing the peak of its pandemic. Hospital and intensive care admissions were down.

The governor urged people to stay inside and continue with social distancing.

"I know it's hard but we have to keep doing it," he said.

New Yorkers have been told to avoid large gatherings as Passover and Easter approaches.

Elsewhere, the state of Wisconsin pressed ahead with an election on Tuesday, despite a state-wide stay-at-home order amid the escalating outbreak.

During a press conference on Tuesday, Mr Trump said he was reluctant to discuss further but the US might be on track for fewer deaths than projected.

It was thought that as many as 240,000 people in the US could die in the pandemic, according to the president's task force.

He also said the US might be getting to the top of the "curve" of the outbreak.

During the briefing, he also attacked the World Health Organization (WHO), saying it had issued bad advice and had been too focused on China.

"The WHO really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric," he said.

He also said the US would be withholding money meant for the WHO.

What's happening elsewhere in the world?

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has spent his second night in the intensive care unit in hospital
    Coronavirus cases reported in China rose to 62, double Tuesday's total. Asymptomatic cases rose to 137
    Japan has woken up to its first day under a month-long state of emergency
    Australia's parliament is set to meet to pass a A$130bn (£65bn; $80bn) wage support package, designed to accommodate about half of Australia's usual workforce
    France's death toll passed 10,000 after a rise in the number of fatalities at nursing homes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52209954

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The acting secretary of the US Navy has resigned amid uproar over his handling of a coronavirus outbreak on an aircraft carrier.

Thomas Modly fired the USS Theodore Roosevelt's captain after he pleaded for help in a letter leaked to media.

Mr Modly apologised on Monday after it emerged he had called Captain Brett Crozier's actions "naive" and "stupid".

The secretary's exit comes a day after US President Donald Trump signalled he might get involved in the dispute.

Defence secretary Mark Esper said Mr Modly had "resigned of his own accord".

The Pentagon chief said the crew's health and safety were a priority for the department.

Army Undersecretary James McPherson is expected to replace Mr Modly.

Capt Crozier was fired last week, and footage of his crew sending him off the warship with applause went viral.

Mr Modly flew 8,000 miles on Monday to the Pacific island of Guam, where the USS Theodore Roosevelt is docked, and berated the crew for having cheered the captain as he left the ship.

Mr Modly told the crew what their former captain did "was very, very wrong" and amounted to "a betrayal of trust with me, with his chain of command", according to recordings leaked to US media.

"If he didn't think that information was going to get out into the public... then he was a) too naive or too stupid to be the commanding officer of a ship like this," Mr Modly said. "The alternative is he did it on purpose."

Amid rebukes from members of Congress, Mr Modly issued an apology the same day, saying: "I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid. I think and always believed him to be the opposite."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52209105

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    An Illinois mayor directed local police to vigorously enforce the state's social distancing order, after reports of residents defying them.

"These are very serious times and I'm begging you to please stay at home," Alton mayor Brant Walker said on Friday.

Less than two days later, Alton police broke up a party at a local bar. The group was "clearly disregarding the executive order and public pleas for compliance", authorities said.

It turned out that Mayor Walker's wife was in attendance at the illicit party.

"I am embarrassed by this incident and apologise to the citizens of Alton," Walker said in a statement. "My wife is an adult capable of making her own decisions, and in this instance she showed a stunning lack of judgment".

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    (CNN)The chaos and confusion rocking President Donald Trump's administration on the most tragic day yet of the coronavirus pandemic was exceptional even by his own standards.

Trump set out Tuesday to cement his image of a wartime leader facing down an "invisible enemy" at a dark moment as the country waits for the virus to peak and with the economy languishing in suspended animation.

"What we have is a plague, and we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel," the President said, on a day when a record number of Americans succumbed to the wicked respiratory disease.

But instead of putting minds at rest, Trump's wild performance instead put on a display many of the personal and political habits that have defined his tumultuous presidency. It was a troubling spectacle coming at such a wrenching chapter of national life, the kind of moment when Presidents are called to provide consistent, level leadership.

To begin with, Trump sparked concern that he will prevent oversight of the disbursement of economic rescue funds by removing a watchdog official responsible for overseeing the $2 trillion package. The move, coming after Trump ousted an intelligence community inspector general last week, was yet another sign that an already impeached President is using the cover of the worst domestic crisis since World War II to further erode constraints on his power.

Trump's acting Navy secretary quit after an episode in which he called an aircraft carrier captain dismissed for raising the alarm about virus infections among his crew "stupid."

Then Trump insisted he hadn't seen January memos by a top White House official warning about the pandemic at the same time the President was dismissing it as a threat.

He also announced he was placing a "very powerful hold" on funding for the World Health Organization, even though it correctly identified the scale of the virus and he didn't. Then moments later, he insisted he did no such thing.

Adding to the sense of farce, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham was moved out, without ever having given a briefing, on yet another day of staff turmoil. CNN's KFile reported Tuesday that her replacement, Kayleigh McEnany, recently said that thanks to the President, "we will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here."

Trump's top economic adviser Larry Kudlow admitted that a small business rescue program was off to "a bad start" after recipients struggled to register funds, only for the President to celebrate the program's roaring success -- and to credit his daughter Ivanka with personally creating 15 million jobs.

To top off a disorientating day in the West Wing, the President presided over an unchained news conference in which among other topics, he lashed out at mail-in voting, making claims about fraud that don't square with the facts, even though he recently cast such a ballot himself. The comment followed extraordinary scenes in Wisconsin, after Republicans blocked the Badger State's Democratic governor from delaying the state's primary over concern that voters could infect one another with the novel coronavirus.

Trump's daily jousts with the media recreate the adversarial dynamic of his 2016 campaign and much of his earlier presidency and invite his supporters to adopt his narrative of events rather than fact-based critiques of his conduct. This has been a successful device in the past to cement the anti-establishment President with his followers.

But a new CNN/SSRS poll Wednesday finds increasing overall concern about Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisis following an initial spike in his ratings in recent weeks.

A majority of Americans -- 55% -- now say the federal government has done a poor job preventing the spread of the disease in the United States, up eight points in about a week. And 52% say they disapprove of the way Trump is handling the outbreak. As usual, assessments of Trump break on partisan lines. Some 80% of Republicans say the federal government has done a good job, and Trump's approval rating is steady at 44%.

Also Wednesday morning, a prominent model that tracks the coronavirus pandemic in the United States has updated its projections to predict that the nation will reach its peak number of daily Covid-19 deaths in four days and its peak use of resources -- such as hospital beds and ventilators -- in three days.

The model also predicts that far fewer people -- 60,415 -- than have been previously projected will die due to Covid-19 by August.
    That model, from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington in Seattle, previously projected on Tuesday that about 82,000 people would die by August and that the country wouldn't reach peak resource use until next week.

A dark day in the fight against Covid-19

In many ways, it was just another inexplicable day of the Trump presidency.

Trump did mention Americans grieving the loss of loved ones in his scripted remarks, but the intensity of Trump's clashes with reporters and litany of outrageous claims seemed incongruous with a backdrop of such human tragedy with more than 1,800 deaths reported in a single day.

There are, after all, more confirmed cases in the United States than anywhere else in the world -- even if there are some hopeful and preliminary signs that the wave of infections may be beginning to slow in the New York epicenter.

The chaos and contradictions coming from the administration do not just raise questions about the White House's current management of the pandemic. They will cause concern because the second stage of the national effort -- reopening the economy and keeping a second wave of infections at bay -- will require focused and subtle leadership that can win the confidence of the nation.

No White House has ever faced the task of ensuring such an expansive economic package is properly implemented and does not fall prey to corruption. There is little in the history of the Trump administration that suggests this will go smoothly.

The President sparked fresh fears about his capacity to properly oversee previous rescue packages and those to come when it emerged he had removed Defense Department Inspector General Glenn Fine from a post monitoring the stimulus funds.

The move prompted Democrats to warn that Trump is seeking to oversee the package himself. Trump had already warned he will ignore a provision in the bill requiring the special inspector general to report to Congress on the handling of the funds.

His dismissal of Fine was the latest swipe against the structures of government meant to hold him accountable -- that peaked with his defiance of the impeachment inquiry.

On Monday, Trump personally attacked a Health and Human Services inspector general who uncovered massive shortages of vital protective equipment at hospitals battling Covid-19.

On Friday night, the President fired the intelligence community inspector general who alerted lawmakers to a report about his pressure on Ukraine to dig up dirt on his Democratic foe Joe Biden.

Trump dismisses Navarro memos

With the pandemic taking a tighter grip on the United States, Trump has taken vigorous steps to cover up for his multiple statements earlier this year downplaying the virus.

The question of his responsibility for a lack of preparation for the crisis intensified on Tuesday when The New York Times revealed that a top economic official, Peter Navarro, had written a memo to the President in January warning coronavirus could become a "full blown pandemic" causing trillions of dollars in economic damage and risking the health of millions of Americans.

The revelation undercut the President's repeated declarations that nobody could have foreseen the consequences of the virus. It also left him in a tricky spot. Either he had to admit that he had seen the warning, or if he said it didn't reach him, he would paint a picture of dysfunction at the White House.

He did neither, seeking to foster misinformation and confusion around the document designed to disguise his own culpability.

The President maintained that he did not see the memo or memos until several days ago.

"I didn't see them. I didn't look for them either," the President said, then argued falsely he had reached the same conclusion as Navarro, citing his decision to stop flights from China. In fact, Trump was downplaying the impact of the virus as recently as early last month.

When asked why he did not level with Americans about the potential impact of the crisis if his unexpressed thoughts aligned with Navarro, Trump said: "I'm not going to go out and start screaming, this could happen."

"I'm a cheerleader for this country. I don't want to create havoc and shock."

Trump nominates a new foil -- the WHO

Unlike the President, the World Health Organization has warned for weeks about the gravity of coronavirus.

The WHO declared a Public Health Emergency of International concern on January 30 after sending a team to Wuhan and to meet Chinese leaders in Beijing.

On the same day, at a rally in Michigan, the President said of the virus, "We think we have it very well under control."

But on Tuesday, the President lashed out at the global health body, claiming it had underplayed the threat of the virus and that he had got it right.

"We're going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO. We're going to put a very powerful hold on it," the President said in his briefing.

"They called it wrong. They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier," Trump said.

"It's a great thing if it works but when they call every shot wrong that's no good," he said, accusing the WHO of being biased towards China, which Republicans have accused of trying to cover up the virus.

Given the President's long timeline of false statements and predictions, that must go down as one of the most audacious comments of his presidency. It was also reflective of his own tendency to nominate an enemy and accuse it of the very transgression that he is accused of perpetrating.

He added to the confusion by denying that he had said that he would halt funding to the WHO -- a move that would be counterproductive in a pandemic and would undermine already compromised perceptions of US leadership on the crisis.

"I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but we are going to look at it," the President said.

The President was also unable to provide much clarity on the chaos afflicting the Navy, following the resignation of Thomas Modly. The acting Navy secretary quit a day after leaked audio revealed he called the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew.

This came a little more than a week after Capt. Brett Crozier sent a memo warning of coronavirus spreading among the sailors. The memo leaked and Modly subsequently removed Crozier from command.

"I had no role in it. I don't know him but I've heard he was a very good man," the commander in chief said.

But Trump also rebuked Crozier.

"He didn't have to be Ernest Hemingway. He made a mistake but he had a bad day. And I hate seeing bad things happen."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/08/p...rus/index.html

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    New York is "undoubtedly flattening the curve", Governor Andrew Cuomo says, despite reporting the largest single-day death toll - for the second day in a row - with 779 New Yorkers succumbing to the virus on 7 April.

"We are flattening the curve because we are being rigorous about social distancing," Cuomo says. "It's not a time to get complacent."

What else did the governor say?

Statewide hospitalisation rates have continued to decline, suggesting that the infection rate is beginning to plateau

Cuomo notes that black and Hispanic people in New York are disproportionately likely to die of the virus. "The poorest people play the highest price," he says. "Why? Let's figure it out, let's do the work"

All of New York's flags will be flown at half-mast, in honour of those who have died of Covid-19. Cuomo notes that New York lost 2,753 lives on the 11 September attacks, while 6,268 New Yorkers have already died of the virus

As the disease continues to pummel the eastern state, Cuomo has promised an additional $600 to those who have filed for unemployment.

"I don't think we return to normal," Cuomo says. "If we're smart, we achieve a new normal."

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    All Los Angeles residents entering essential businesses - like grocery shops and pharmacies - will soon have to wear a face covering or risk being refused service.

Beginning at midnight on Friday, all workers at such businesses must also wear a mask and could face a fine or prison if they don't comply. Business owners will have to provide the masks or reimburse employees for their own.

The order, from LA Mayor Eric Garcetti, is among the most aggressive mask-related policies across the US.

"Cover up, save a life - it's that simple," Mr Garcetti said.

Last week, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government's public health advisory agency, issued voluntary guidance recommending that Americans use cloth masks in public settings as an added barrier to existing social distancing guidelines.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Trump says would like to reopen U.S. economy with a 'big bang'

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he would like to reopen the U.S. economy with a “big bang” but that the death toll from the coronavirus needs to be on the down slope before that can happen.

At a White House news briefing, Trump said the Centers for Disease Control would release guidance later on Wednesday to ensure critical infrastructure workers can do their jobs after being exposed to the virus.

Trump did not give a timeframe on when he would like to reopen the economy, but his chief economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, said on Tuesday it was possible this could happen in four to eight weeks.

Trump, seeking re-election on Nov. 3, wants to get the economy going again as soon as possible, but his medical advisers are urging caution out of concern that trying to return to some sense of normalcy too early could lead to a renewed outbreak.

Trump and his team have been heartened by signs that the death toll among Americans may fall far short of projections that he outlined last week indicating between 100,000 and 240,000 could die.

“We’re ahead of schedule,” said Trump.

He said the economy could be reopened in phases but that “it would be nice to open with a big bang.” But he said, “We have to be on the down side of the slope” of infections and that he will rely heavily on experts in determining how to proceed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21Q3EW

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York state remains the worst-hit part of the US and in the past day has suffered its biggest death toll so far with 779 deaths linked to the virus.

The number of confirmed cases in the state alone approached 150,000 on Wednesday.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has ordered flags flown at half-mast across the state, to respect the dead.

"Every number is a face," he said. "This virus attacked the vulnerable and attacked the weak and it's our job as a society to protect the vulnerable."

The governor said a drop in new hospitalisations and other data suggested the state was "bending the curve" and gaining some control over the infection rate but warned the death rate would continue to be high for the coming days.

==

US could shatter jobless record - again

US jobless figures could be about to hit a new record. On Thursday morning, the Department of Labor will release its latest data on unemployment claims.

JPMorgan Chase analysts expect the statistics to show that as many as seven million people applied for benefits in the week to 4 April. That would surpass the previous week’s record of 6.6 million, which was double the one from the week before.

In yet more grim economic news, nearly one third of US residential tenants (31%) did not manage to pay their rent in the first week of April, according to data from the National Multifamily Housing Council on Wednesday.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 million unemployed - staggering

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the coronavirus is rippling through his state "with the same randomness, the same evil, that we saw on 9/11".

The 11 September 2001 attacks were "so devastating, so tragic, but we lose so many more New Yorkers to this silent killer", the governor said at his daily press briefing.

New York will bringing in additional funeral directors to "deal with the number of people who have passed", Cuomo said, again pointing out that the 7,067 New Yorkers killed by the virus so far was triple the 2,753 people killed in New York in the 9/11 attacks.

The statewide single-day death toll hit a record high again yesterday, with 779 lives lost.

"That is so shocking and painful and breathtaking," Cuomo said.

Cuomo said that New York - still the epicentre of the US virus outbreak - is "flattening the curve", as hospitalisation rates continue to plateau.

But the governor repeated his pleas for New Yorkers to maintain social distancing.

"If we stop acting the way we are acting you will see those numbers go up," Cuomo said. "We can’t handle the worst-case scenarios, we can’t even handle the moderate-case scenarios.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York state now has more coronavirus cases than any other country outside the US, according to latest figures.

The state's confirmed caseload of Covid-19 jumped by 10,000 on Thursday to 159,937, placing it ahead of Spain (153,000 cases) and Italy (143,000).

China, where the virus emerged last year, has reported 82,000 cases.

The US as a whole has recorded 462,000 cases and nearly 16,500 deaths. Globally there are 1.6 million cases and 95,000 deaths.

While New York state leads the world in coronavirus cases, its death toll (7,000) lags behind Spain (15,500) and Italy (18,000), though it is more than double the official figure from China (3,300).

Photos have emerged of workers in hazmat outfits burying coffins in a mass grave in New York City.

Drone footage showed workers using a ladder to descend into the huge pit where the caskets were stacked.

The images were taken at Hart Island, off the Bronx, which has been used for more than 150 years by city officials as a mass burial site for those with no next-of-kin, or families who cannot afford funerals.

Burial operations at the site have ramped up amid the pandemic from one day a week to five days a week, according to the Department of Corrections.

Prisoners from Rikers Island usually do the job, but the rising workload has recently been taken over by contractors.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio indicated earlier this week the city's public cemetery might be used for burials during the pandemic.

"Obviously the place we have used historically is Hart Island," he said.

The number of coronavirus deaths in New York state increased to 799 on Wednesday, a record high for a third day.

But Governor Andrew Cuomo took heart from the fact that the number of Covid-19 patients admitted to New York hospitals dropped for a second day, to 200.

He said it was a sign social distancing was working. He called the outbreak a "silent explosion that ripples through society with the same randomness, the same evil that we saw on 9/11".

Another glimmer of hope was heralded on Thursday as official projections for the nationwide death toll were lowered.

Dr Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told NBC News' Today show on Thursday the final number of Americans who will die from Covid-19 in the outbreak "looks more like 60,000".

In late March, Dr Fauci estimated "between 100,000 and 200,000" could die.

The 60,000 projection would match the upper estimate for total flu deaths in the US between October 2019 to March 2020, according to government data.

But Vice-President Mike Pence stressed on Thursday that Covid-19 is about three times as contagious as influenza.

The White House has previously touted estimates that 2.2 million Americans could die from coronavirus if nothing was done to stop its spread.

Stay-at-home orders have in the meantime closed non-essential businesses in 42 states, while drastically slowing the US economy.

New data on Thursday showed unemployment claims topped 6 million for the second week in a row, bringing the number of Americans out of work over the last three weeks to 16.8 million.

Chicago meanwhile imposed a curfew on liquor sales from 21:00 local time on Thursday to stop the persistent violation of a ban on large gatherings.

The measure, due to remain in place until 30 April, comes after health officials this week said black Chicagoans account for half of all the Illinois city's coronavirus cases and more than 70% of its deaths, despite making up just 30% of the population.

"We are putting this curfew in place because too many individuals and businesses have been violating the stay-at-home order," said Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Wednesday.

Gun violence in Chicago on Tuesday left seven dead and 14 injured, which city officials said was unforgivable given the virus crisis.

"Every one of those ER beds taken up by a gunshot victim could be somebody's grandmother, somebody with pre-existing conditions, somebody that is in danger of losing their lives because of the pandemic," Supt Charlie Beck said.

Figures from Louisiana, Mississippi, Michigan, Wisconsin and New York reflect the same racial disparity in coronavirus infections.

Presumptive Democratic White House nominee Joe Biden joined growing calls on Thursday for the release of comprehensive racial data on the pandemic.

He said it had cast a spotlight on inequity and the impact of "structural racism".

Meanwhile, a court has blocked parts of Texas' temporary abortion ban, which the state announced last month citing the coronavirus outbreak.

The order against "medically unnecessary" procedures was introduced to reserve valuable medical resources for those treating Covid-19 only, the state's Republican attorney general said in March.

But Judge Lee Yaekel, a George W Bush appointee, granted a temporary restraining order against the ban on Thursday.

"As a minimum, this is an undue burden on a woman's right to a previability abortion," he wrote in his ruling.

Alabama, Iowa, Ohio and Oklahoma have introduced similar abortion bans.

While there is still no vaccine for Covid-19, America's culture wars have proved similarly incurable.

Legal battles have also ensued over whether guns shops should be closed during the pandemic, and if religious services should be exempt from state orders that ban large gatherings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52239261

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New York state has now recorded more infections than any country - including the hardest-hit European countries, Italy and Spain.

Almost 160,000 people in New York have tested positive with the virus, compared to 153,000 in Spain and 143,000 in Italy.

The human toll of the outbreak has become clear, with harrowing pictures emerging of coffins being buried in mass graves in New York City.

While the number of new hospital admissions has fallen for a second day running, raising hope, a record 799 people died in New York state on Wednesday alone. That brings the total number of deaths to over 7,000.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    A spike in infections has been reported from a US navy warship, whose captain was removed from command for pleading with his superiors to do more to halt a coronavirus outbreak on board.

In a letter dated 30 March, Capt Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt had urged his superiors to act to prevent US troops dying outside of wartime.

There were at least 100 confirmed infections aboard the ship at the time. But now a report from NPR says that number has climbed to 400, while at least one sailor is in intensive care.

Around 2,700 crew members of the ship have disembarked - a little more than half the total crew.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Last month, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a public health measure banning the entry of foreigners considered to pose a "serious danger" to the spread of disease.

Now, officials have confirmed that the US expelled more than 6,300 undocumented migrants - including unaccompanied children - on its border with Mexico using this order.

Critics say the Trump administration is using the measure as an extension of strict immigration policies, which authorities deny.

In a letter, Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee said the government's actions were illegal, adding: "This amounts to a startling expansion of executive power under the guise of a global pandemic response."

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Images have emerged of coffins being buried in a mass grave in New York City, as the death toll from the coronavirus outbreak continues to rise.

The location is Hart Island, used for New Yorkers with no next-of-kin or who could not afford a funeral.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    New York governor calls for more federal action

As the UK government was giving its briefing, New York governor Andrew Cuomo was also speaking to provide an update from the US state with more coronvirus cases than any individual country.

Here's a roundup of the key things he said.

Cuomo urged the Trump administration to set up a "Heroes Compensation Fund", which would be for those who worked on the front lines of the coronavirus crisis, similar to the Victim Compensation Fund launched after 9/11

He said President Donald Trump should use the Defence Production Act, which gives the government more control during emergencies to direct industrial production, to force private sector companies to build tests

And in positive news he said that the state now has a "relatively comfortable" stockpile of PPE and ventilators - but only if people continue with social distancing.

But Cuomo was unwilling to provide any further information on news that coronavirus victims are being buried in mass graves on Hart Island.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US in 'great shape' - Trump

President Donald Trump has said that the US is in “very good shape” in preparing itself for a “surge” of the virus that is to come.

“We are in great shape with ventilators and protective clothing," Trump said. "We are not getting any calls from governors.

“We are getting very few calls from governors needing anything.

“They are in great shape for the surge that is coming.”

US President Donald Trump says he sees "tremendous progress" in saving lives.

"In the midst of grief and pain we are seeing clear signs that our aggressive strategy is saving countless lives," he said.

While saying the number of deaths was "horrible", he added: "We're saving so many lives compared to what it could have been. They're saying 100,000 lives on the minimum side.

"We'll see what it ends up being, but it looks like we're heading to a number substantially below 100,000."

"That's a lot fewer than we were originally told and thinking. They said between 100,000 and 220,000 lives on the minimum side, and up to 2.2 million lives if we didn't do anything."

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    President Trump said he wants to reopen the country "as soon as possible" but "facts will determine" when he does so.

Current restrictions in the US are set to end on 30 April.

Asked if he was overly determined to reopening the country on that date, Trump said: "I would love to open, I've not determined anything. The facts will determine what I do."

He said he will announce a new council on Tuesday, made up of doctors and businessmen tasked with discussing when the country could reopen.

Trump named the council the "opening our country council".

"We are going to have great business leaders and doctors," he said.

"We will be announcing names on Tuesday and that will play a role [in deciding when the country can reopen].

"I want to get open as soon as possible. This country is meant to be open and vibrant."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    President Donald Trump on Friday said his decision on when to reopen the US economy, shuttered due to the coronavirus pandemic, will be the toughest he has ever taken.

"I'm going to have to make a decision and I only hope to God that it's the right decision. But I would say without question, it's the biggest decision I've ever had to make," Trump told a press conference.

Trump, who faces a tight reelection in November, is keen to get the US economy back open after weeks of tough measures that shut down businesses and dramatically cut down on transport across the country to slow the virus's spread.

The previously strong economy was the biggest selling point in his campaign platform.

However, he also faces warnings that a premature opening would put lives at risk by allowing the virus to take a new hold.

"I have to make the biggest decision of my life," he said.

With current federal guidelines on social distancing set to expire at the end of the month, expectations are growing that Trump will tell Americans they can start resuming normal activity from May -- at least in parts of the country.

The decision will be partly based on medical data, but also heavily swayed by political considerations and advice from the business community which has been devastated by the shutdown, with an abrupt drop in revenues and mass unemployment claims.

In what will mark an important step in the process, Trump says he will be announcing members of a new task force on Tuesday.

"I call it the opening our country task force or opening our country council," he said.

The group will include "very great doctors and business people," as well as probably governors of states.

In a sign that Trump will seek broad support for what could be a politically dangerous decision, he said he wanted bipartisan representation from politicians on the council.

"I want to put on both parties," he said.

Reassuring critics who say he risks rushing, Trump insisted medical opinion will be key.

"We're looking at a date, we hope we'll be able to fulfill a certain date, but we're not doing anything until we know this country is going to be healthy," he said.

"We don't want to go back and start doing it over again."

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/trump...cy-doc-1qj20x4

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US Covid-19 cases surpass half a million

The number of coronavirus cases detected in the United States rose past half a million over the Easter weekend with 18,700 deaths, as President Donald Trump said the decision on when it was safe to reopen the country would be the biggest he had ever had to make.

Public health experts have warned that the US death toll could spike to 200,000 over the summer if unprecedented stay-at-home orders that have closed businesses and kept most Americans indoors are lifted after 30 days.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York deaths stabilising at 'horrific rate’
    In the US, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has finished his press conference in Albany.

Here’s what came out of the briefing:

The curve is flattening in the state of New York, though there have been another 783 deaths. Cuomo said it was “stabilising at an horrific rate… depicting incredible loss and pain”.

Cuomo praised President Donald Trump for his speed at getting New York the help it needed, but said it was too soon to know when the state could reopen. “What do you think we’re in, the sixth inning for baseball? You think we’re at half-time if it’s a football game? You don’t know yet how it turns out.”

Despite Mayor De Blasio’s announcement that schools would be closed through June in New York City, Cuomo repeatedly said “there has been no decision on schools” and said he had "legal authority"

Cuomo emphatically quashed speculation that he could become part of Joe Biden’s cabinet if the Democrat won this year’s presidential election, saying: “I’m not going to Washington, I’m staying right here… I have probably the most important job, to me, that I could have.”

And he said that the state economy was inextricably tied to public health, refusing to lift coronavirus restrictions until it would be safe. “You can’t ask the people of this state and this country to choose between lives lost and dollars gained.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There have now been 19,701 deaths reported by the US, according to John Hopkins University. That compares to 19,468 reported by Italy's government.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Every US state now under 'historic' disaster declaration

Wyoming has become the final state to have a disaster declaration approved by President Donald Trump. Federal funds will now be available to the state as it deals with the country's growing coronavirus epidemic.

According to CNN, this is the first time in history that every US state is under a federal disaster declaration at the same time.

Wasington DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the US Virgin Islands also have disaster declarations in place.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just went to the grocery store to get tea for my mom but the old guy outside didn’t let me in cause I didn’t have a mask

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Just went to the grocery store to get tea for my mom but the old guy outside didn’t let me in cause I didn’t have a mask
    So why dont you wear a mask considering thousands of Americans dying every day?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Things are real bad in the tristate area, here in texas grocery stores are still packed and most people aren't wearing masks lol. The bible belt must blessed or something.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    So why dont you wear a mask considering thousands of Americans dying every day?
    They're not easily available, a lot of stores are out and on amazon prime it can take a month to get delivered. The best you can do is make your own reusable mask at home.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Things are real bad in the tristate area, here in texas grocery stores are still packed and most people aren't wearing masks lol. The bible belt must blessed or something.
    Abbott to unveil a strategy next week to “revitalize” economy.. almost feels like he will open up for many parts by next month.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    They're not easily available, a lot of stores are out and on amazon prime it can take a month to get delivered. The best you can do is make your own reusable mask at home.
    Most people have improvised masks out of bandannas. That would work particularly well in Texas, whenever the epidemic moves there, because it would go so well with cowboy garb. Bank robbers in all Western movies have bandannas over their mouths.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Speaking of banks, this may be a good time to go to a bank wearing a face covering without the security guard rugby tackling you. Just in case this was on your bucket list.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top US official says recommendations were ignored

Dr Anthony Fauci, one of the nation's top health experts and the face of the nation's fight against coronavirus, appeared to confirm a New York Times report that the Trump administration ignored public health warnings for almost a month.

According to the Times article, Fauci and other health officials called for social distancing measures in February but were rebuffed by the president.

When asked about why the administration did not act, Dr Fauci told CNN: “You know … as I have said many times, we look at it from a pure health standpoint. We make a recommendation. Often, the recommendation is taken. Sometimes, it’s not."

Fauci said that if the US had moved sooner to shut down, lives would have been saved.

The US has recorded more than 555,000 virus cases and 22,000 deaths.
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th April 2020 at 21:42.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York surpasses 10,000 deaths

New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo has reported 671 news deaths on Easter sunday, raising the state's death toll to 10,056.

The 24-hour death tolls are falling but the figure is still too high, says Cuomo, adding that the dreaded "apex" appears to be more of a "plateau".

The curve - the rate of new infections and deaths - is "basically flat at a horrific level of pain and grief and sorrow", Cuomo says.