Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Do they teach you to point fingers at others in gaushalas? Aren't you confident enough about your faith?

Not really. Mahabharata and the Gita, yes. At least the former is culturally significant. But we mostly don't care about your Ramayana here in the South. But you can still have your temple

Btw, have you read any of these "greatest epics" or are you just a Hindu warrior on the Internet like your buddy there...
    Yet so many south indians are named after Ram.

Then again you once claimed hinduism came into existence during gupta period.

You are free to not believe in Ram. But you are not free to question anyones belief.

And making snide comments on others because they are hindus and this is a non hindu dominated forum may make you feel superior. But in real world you wont dare do it.so take solace.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    Imagining I am breaking it down to a 5 year old

21 days of restraint needs to be shown in the times of the lockdown.

This gives government to take adequate measures.

21 days lock down requires a lot of patience.

Look at India’s greatest epic a story every one in india is familiar with regardless of religion.

The good guys took on the bad guys against all odds and won because they had faith and patience over 18 days.

Now what part of this went over your head?

Imran Khan asked religious leaders to help people out, why not doctors or scientists? Did you call that stupid?

I didn’t feel it was stupid because common people in Pak May listen to the preachers and religious figure heads.

May be I am giving Imran too much credit here if he actually thought that through but it made sense.
    Its not me, I dont really care what happens in India to be frank, although I hope people remain safe.

You have hundreds of millions of people who lack basic education and believe in supersitions. Imo it needs to very clear what 21 days is referring to. Equating it some battle which maybe a myth suggesting it was won in 18 days but now we can win this in 21 is frankly stupid. But good luck to India under the RSS, esp when even athiests like yourself are praying for Modi

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Its not me, I dont really care what happens in India to be frank, although I hope people remain safe.

You have hundreds of millions of people who lack basic education and believe in supersitions. Imo it needs to very clear what 21 days is referring to. Equating it some battle which maybe a myth suggesting it was won in 18 days but now we can win this in 21 is frankly stupid. But good luck to India under the RSS, esp when even athiests like yourself are praying for Modi
    Firstly I think I clarified many times here. I am not an atheist. I am pro religion

Yes it’s good to see a capable,proven administrator capable of making strong decisions and delivering his message in a way to reach the masses, instead of confused rhetoric that people are still not clear on what’s supposed to happen.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Thanks, so his supporters are expecting everything back to Bollywood filming and RSS training to resume and life to return as before after 21 days.

Ill take it back if this happens and demand Modi rules over Pakistan too.
    For you, it could be a game but not for me.

For you it's a kind of challenge where you want to laugh at someone or some entity but thats not how i view it.

Even if i disagree with imran on many of his policies, now I'll hope that he makes the right judgement for Pakistan. Or any other leader in any other country.

My friends from uni are working in the hospital day and night without any rest so that they could attend the over surge of patients.

Banking, retail, health, emergency all sectors are getting orders of how to take swift actions during lockdown even on village level.

So i apologize if i dont give two $hits about all these religious warfare. It just makes me sad that even in these moments, people are still fighting over these.
    Last edited by Itachi; 26th March 2020 at 01:04.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    For you, it could be a game but not for me.

For you it's a kind of challenge where you want to laugh at someone or some entity but thats not how i view it.

Even if i disagree with imran on many of his policies, now I'll hope that he makes the right judgement for Pakistan. Or any other leader in any other country.

My friends from uni are working in the hospital day and night without any rest so that they could attend the over surge of patients.

Banking, retail, health, emergency all sectors are getting orders of how to take swift actions during lockdown even on village level.

So i apologize if i dont give two $hits about all these religious warfare. It just makes me sad that even in these moments, people are still fighting over these.
    You're missing the point.

You have hundreds of millions of Hindus who love the BJP and Modi. They believed clouds detered radar and still believe India took out 300 terrorists in Pakistan.

It's crucial for the safety of Indians, the leaders stop telling them cow urine is the cure and even suggesting any time line with suggesting things will be ok.

If Imran Khan did relating some historic event in Islamic history mentioning any time/days etc, I would be disgusted too.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly I think I clarified many times here. I am not an atheist. I am pro religion

Yes it’s good to see a capable,proven administrator capable of making strong decisions and delivering his message in a way to reach the masses, instead of confused rhetoric that people are still not clear on what’s supposed to happen.
    Imo Most Indians are confused with Modi's rhetoric.

Firstly, this is nothing like some historic battle as this is a global issue. More importantly he should have said 21 weeks if anything, days is a joke as well all know it will only be worse in 3 weeks not better.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really don't see the issue with his statement.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Actually, the process began with Shankaracharya who through a series of debates converted people away from Buddhism. And later, it flourished and morphed into the Hinduism as we know it today during the golden age of the Guptas

You are free to not believe in Ram. But you are not free to question anyones belief.
    Nope. I didn't question his faith. I asked him if he was sure Shri Ram existed and whether it was necessary to believe so, to have faith in him. Looks like things need to be repeated here in differently constructed sentences while talking to you guys.

South Indians also have plenty of names that translate to things that don't exist. What kind of logic is that.

And making snide comments on others because they are hindus and this is a non hindu dominated forum may make you feel superior. But in real world you wont dare do it.so take solace.
    I would say the odds of me bumping into an offline Bengali follower of Shri Ram are much lower than any such presumption you can make

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Ball View Post
    There is a significant portion of urban Hindus who are ashamed of their roots, or undermine it to show that they are 'secular' which earns them a lot of social points in far left circles and among minorities (who are very religious)

It's strange but I have friends in US / UK who say they notice similar behaviour in some urban Christians.
    That is not exclusive to Hindus. Urban Muslims from upper middle class families in Pakistan are the same way. And there is a reason for that. There is a huge difference between criticizing aspects of someone else's religion, and criticizing aspects of your own religion. There are certain rules of the games, and basically you are allowed to make fun of your own religion, nationality, ethnicity, but you are not allowed to make fun of others peoples religion, nationality, ethnicity.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with Modi referencing Mahabharata, or Imran Khan referencing Quran, or Trump referencing Bible. Not sure why people have a huge problem with it.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whilst I do agree partially in regards to Ramayan, South Indians does not give as much importance as the North Indians, I do want to reiterate that as a South Indian that has a lot of family in Kerala, Rama is still given a lot of importance, so Phillionder is taking out of his rear end also when he says South Indians do not care...

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waah paai waah.toh idher Mahabharata chal rahi hai. whatever this Mahabharata he is referring. jaahil Modi should concentrate on tackling current situations.
    Last edited by Ryw; 26th March 2020 at 12:52.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    That is not exclusive to Hindus. Urban Muslims from upper middle class families in Pakistan are the same way. And there is a reason for that. There is a huge difference between criticizing aspects of someone else's religion, and criticizing aspects of your own religion. There are certain rules of the games, and basically you are allowed to make fun of your own religion, nationality, ethnicity, but you are not allowed to make fun of others peoples religion, nationality, ethnicity.
    BINGO!!!!

Basic basic logic that's lost on these people.

Why let facts and rationality get in the way of a good MOAN and playing victim?

In the next few years, we will see more Pakistani version of these ppl moaning.

Mind you, all these people have got a nice list of gaslighting tactics which you will see employed if discussions heat up.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    While the argument made by this guy sounds utterly stupid, I get where he is coming from. He is essentially asking people to stay inside their homes to defeat coronavirus. He even locked down the country for the same. Fair enough. Now compare this to our stupid PM who is advising the state governments to revise the lock down.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible Gujjar View Post
    waah paai waah.toh idher Mahabharata chal rahi hai. whatever this Mahabharata he is referring. jaahil Modi should concentrate on tackling current situations.
    He is behaving as per your wish you should rejoice bro

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    Whilst I do agree partially in regards to Ramayan, South Indians does not give as much importance as the North Indians, I do want to reiterate that as a South Indian that has a lot of family in Kerala, Rama is still given a lot of importance, so Phillionder is taking out of his rear end also when he says South Indians do not care...
    Two of South India’s famous saints Ramdas and ThyagaRaja‘s compositions which are still the gold standard for Carnatic music have all their song s based on Lord Rama and Ramayana.

May be in Tamil Nadu due to the whole DMK politics Ramayana is not considered significant but that doesn’t represent entire South.

Pillion Rider seems to have assisted one of the Marxist Historians in re writing Indian history

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Nothing wrong with Modi referencing Mahabharata, or Imran Khan referencing Quran, or Trump referencing Bible. Not sure why people have a huge problem with it.
    There is no problem with it, but people referencing religion as a saviour are being called out all over these boards, many times by the same posters who are here defending Modi. You must expect the same treatment for all regardless of what religion it is.

No way is a self proclaiming Indian who claims to be an atheist going to be allowed to get away with praising here when they have been severely critical on Islamic topics.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible Gujjar View Post
    Well he is tackling it, whether he is doing the best or could do better or could have done better in past, that's up for debate.

But frankly saying that the war in Mahabharata was won in 18 days and this should be won in 21 days, will motivate people to stay home for 3 weeks. He has provided ration and other freebies but we have a lot of Jahils in the country, they need to be told again and again to stay home, motivated in different ways to be there and if they come out they need a Danda up their backside, all of that is happening....

That's why it's good, if Imran talks of Islam or Muslim Faith / or Modi talks of Hindu Epics, because a lot of Pakistani and Indians understand this language.

The rest of us can simply read up on google what the do's and don't are and what the repercussions could be, if not followed

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pillion Rider seems to have assisted one of the Marxist Historians in re writing Indian history
    History doesn't care about your feelings

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong in his statement...just comparing lock down duration

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only problem with Mahabharta reference is that after the war only 5 Pandavas, Draupdi and Krishna even there children died lived and there were thousands of deaths.

I hope he did keep that in mind.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    18 days left.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    18 days left.
    What exactly are you counting down to?

Hope they countdown is not for rubbing any misfortune in the face of Indian posters if things go get worse.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Will India extend its rigorous 21-day lockdown to slow the spread of coronavirus beyond its end date next week? By all accounts, yes.

On 24 March, India shut its $2.9 trillion economy, closing its businesses and issuing strict stay-at-home orders to more than a billion people. Air, road and rail transport systems were suspended.

Now, more than two months after the first case of Covid-19 was detected in the country, more than 5,000 people have tested positive and some 150 people have died. As testing has ramped up, the true picture is emerging. The virus is beginning to spread through dense communities and new clusters of infection are being reported every day. Lifting the lockdown could easily risk triggering a fresh wave of infections.

A harsh lockdown is certain to slow down the disease. Virologists I spoke to believe India is still at an early stage of the infection. The country still doesn't have enough data on the transmissibility of the virus or even how many people could have been infected and recovered to develop adequate herd immunity. (It is slowly beginning finger ***** blood tests to look at the presence of protective antibodies.)

India's pandemic lockdown turns into a human tragedy

More than 250 of India's 700-odd districts have reported the infection. Reports say at least seven states have a third of all infections, and want the lockdown extended. Six states have reported clusters of rapidly growing infections - from the capital Delhi in the north to Maharashtra in the west and Tamil Nadu in the south.

Economic fallout

Not surprisingly, the lockdown is already hurting the economy. Many of the early hotspots are economic growth engines and contribute heavily in revenues to the exchequer. Mumbai, India's financial capital and Maharashtra's main city, accounts for more than a third of overall tax collection. The densely populated city has reported more than 500 cases and 45 deaths, and numbers are steadily rising. Authorities say the infection is now spreading through the community. Mumbai has made wearing face masks mandatory.

Many of these hotspot clusters are also thriving manufacturing bases. The spread of infection means that they will be under lockdown for a longer period of time.

The services industry, which generates almost half of India's GDP, is also likely to remain shut for some more time. Construction, which employs a bulk of migrant workers, will remain similarly suspended. The unemployment rate may have already climbed to more than 20% after the lockdown, according to a report by the Center for Monitoring Indian Economy.

For the moment, economists say, the government will have to prioritise farming over everything else to ensure the livelihoods of millions and secure the country's future food supplies.

Half of India's labour force work on farms. The lockdown happened at a time when a bumper winter crop had to be harvested and sold, and the rain-fed summer crop had to be sowed. The immediate challenge is to harvest and market the first crop, and secure the second.

Moving trucks to pick up produce and take them to markets, with adequate social distancing and hand washing will be something the government will have to move on quickly.

"The immediate challenge is to ensure that rural India is not hit," says Rathin Ray, an economist. "Realistically, a complete lockdown cannot be continuously maintained beyond early May. We don't have a choice but to reopen gradually after that."

There is little doubt about that. For his part, SK Sarin, who heads a government advisory panel on combating the disease, says the lockdown can be only eased in a "graded manner in areas that are not hotspots" and that the hotspots remained cordoned off.

Like other affected countries, India will have to prepare itself for what Gabriel Leung, an infectious disease epidemiologist and dean of medicine at the University of Hong Kong, describes as several rounds of "suppress and lift" cycles.

During these periods "restrictions are applied and relaxed, applied again and relaxed again, in ways that can keep the pandemic under control but at an acceptable economic and social cost."

Also, Dr Leung observes, "how best to do that will vary by country, depending on its means, tolerance for disruption and its people's collective will. In all cases, however, the challenge essentially is a three-way tug of war between combating the disease, protecting the economy and keeping society at an even keel".

India gambles on a lockdown to save millions

It is now clear that shutdowns need to continue until transmission has slowed down markedly, and testing and health infrastructure has been scaled up to manage the outbreak.

Experts from the southern state of Kerala, a striking outlier that is containing the infection thanks to a transparent government and a robust public health system, say it isn't time to lift the lockdown yet and have recommended a three-phase relaxation.

For most countries, easing the lockdown is a tricky policy choice. It sparks fears of triggering a fresh wave of infection and presents the inevitable trade-off between lives and livelihoods. French Prime Minister Edouard Phillipe, says relaxing the lockdown in his country is going to be "fearsomely complex". In a crisis like this, according to his Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte, leaders have to "make 100% of the decisions with 50% of the knowledge, and bear the consequences."

It is going to be tougher for India with its vast size, densely packed population and enfeebled public health system. Also, no country in the world possibly has so much inter-state migration of casual workers, who are the backbone of the services and construction industries.

How will India manage to return these workers to their work places - factories, farms, building sites, shops - without a substantial easing of public transport at a time when crowded trains and buses can be a vector of transmission and easily neutralise the gains of the lockdown? Even allowing restricted mobility - allowing social distancing, temperature checks and passenger hygiene - would put considerable pressure on the public transport system.

The policy choices are fiendishly tough, and the answers are far from easy. India bungled the lockdown by not anticipating the exodus of millions of migrant workers from cities. The weeks ahead will tell whether the fleeing men, women and children carried the infection to their villages. The country simply cannot afford to make similar mistakes again while trying to relax the lockdown. Nitin Pai of The Takshashila Institution, a think tank, believes states should be left to decide on easing restrictions, and decisions "should be based on threat [of infection], which should be determined by extensive testing".

This week Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the "situation in the country is akin to a social emergency". His government now needs make sure that the looming threat to the nation's health and economic progress is tackled skilfully.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52222906

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PM Likely To Address Nation To Announce Whether Lockdown Ends Tuesday

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to address the nation again to announce his decision on whether the coronavirus lockdown will end on Tuesday. Before the decision, he will meet with Chief Ministers via video conference tomorrow.

Sources say the lockdown may be extended but with many changes this time around. Interstate movement will remain restricted, except for essential services. Schools, colleges and religious institutions are likely to stay closed.

Given the massive economic fallout of the prolonged shutdown, some sector specific relaxation is likely to be allowed, sources say, with social distancing norms.

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said in its monetary policy report that the outlook for India's economic recovery has been sharply altered by the coronavirus outbreak.

One of the worst-hit is the aviation sector. Sources say airlines may be gradually allowed to resume operations but with rules like keeping the middle seat vacant in all classes.

Officials say the outbreak in India is concentrated in about 75 of more than 600 districts, which will help the government manage the crisis better.

In a video meeting with leaders of all parties on Wednesday, PM Modi had said by all accounts the lifting of the lockdown "is not possible".

"The priority of the government is to save each and every life. The situation in the country is akin to a 'social emergency', it has necessitated tough decisions and we must continue to remain vigilant," said the PM, according to political leaders who participated in the interaction.

Life will not be the same again after COVID-19, the Prime Minister said. "Massive behavioural, social and personal changes will have to take place," he reportedly told political leaders in the video conference.

PM Modi's decision to order the three-week lockdown has helped slow the infection rate, foreign ministry additional secretary Vikas Swarup has said, even though it has impacted the economy and thousands of poor workers. Millions of people have lost their jobs, largely those who work on daily wages and have fled to their homes in villages.

Many states have sought an extension of the 21-day nationwide lockdown announced by PM Modi on March 25, saying they will not be able to handle a surge of COVID-19 cases. Odisha yesterday became the first state to announce a lockdown till the end of this month.

Karnataka is also expected to seek an extension today. Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Rajasthan, Assam, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh are among states that have called for a longer lockdown.

India has 6,412 cases of coronavirus, including 199 deaths. Thirty-three deaths have been reported in the past 24 hours.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...home-topscroll

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wearing a mask Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a video conference with chief ministers to discuss whether the lockdown to check the spread of coronavirus should be extended, assured them that he is open to suggestions.

“I am available 24x7. Any chief minister can speak to me and give suggestions (on COVID-19) anytime. We should stand together shoulder-to-shoulder,” Modi said.

Many other chief ministers were also seen wearing masks.

The pandemic has affected more than 7400 people across India and killed 239 people so far.

This is the third time the PM has communicated with CMs through a video conference. On Tuesday, he took feedback from the chief ministers on whether the three-week lockdown scheduled to end on April 14 should be extended.

Odisha and Punjab have already extended the lockdown toll April 30 while many other states have said they want to extend the lockdown.

The government is trying to strike a balance between life and livelihood as India the lockdown has rendered thousands of workers jobless while the medical infrastructure is under strain amid rising cases of coronavirus.

Ahead of the meeting, the West Bengal government decided to impose a total lockdown in 10 Covid-19 hotspots and clusters from where positive cases have been reported.

Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram had urged chief ministers to demand cash transfer to families of the poor who have been hit hard by the lockdown.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...mOGrlPTtJ.html

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram had urged chief ministers to demand cash transfer to families of the poor who have been hit hard by the lockdown.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...mOGrlPTtJ.html
    Lol big words from the kingpin Congress fraud Chidambaram . India's forex reserves is like 440 billion ? it is peanuts when you have 1.3 billion ppl, they can't afford to give money to the poor especially when the economy is in standstill. Ideal situation would be to distribute rice and other essential food supplies and also money from Ammayi Sonya's bank account of all the billions she looted from India which should be given to the rightful citizens of the country.

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haanji, hogaye hein 21 days?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    NEW DELHI/DHAKA (Reuters) - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to extend a nationwide lockdown to tackle the spread of the coronavirus, the chief minister of Delhi state said on Saturday, without disclosing how long the extension would be for.

An army personnel stops people riding on a rickshaw at a check post during government imposed countrywide shutdown amid concerns over the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Narayanganj, Bangladesh, April 9, 2020. REUTERS/Mohammad Ponir Hossain
    Earlier in the day, Modi held a video conference call with several state ministers to decide on the future course as the current 21-day lockdown ends on Tuesday.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said Modi had “taken (a) correct decision to extend (the) lockdown”, but did not give further details.

“Today, India’s position is better than many developed countries because we started lockdown early. If it is stopped now, all gains would be lost,” Kejriwal said on Twitter.

The number of coronavirus infections in India rose to 7,447 on Saturday, with the capital city New Delhi and financial hub Mumbai fast emerging as hotspots. There have been 239 deaths.

Several states had urged Modi to extend the lockdown, even amid rising concerns that the restrictions have put millions of poor people out of work and forced an exodus of migrant workers from cities to villages.

The government said on Twitter that operations of the marine fishing and the aquaculture industry will be exempted from the lockdown restrictions.

Some 81 migrant workers were arrested in the western city of Surat after they started fires and threw stones in protests late on Friday evening, demanding to be allowed to go back to their home areas, police said.

“The workers are without work because of the lockdown, and are struggling to sustain themselves,” one police official said.

Indian officials have said widespread virus infections could be disastrous in a country where millions live in slums and the health system is already overburdened.

In neighbouring Bangladesh, where the army has been deployed across the country to enforce social distancing measures, the government on Friday extended its nationwide lockdown by 11 days to April 25. The number of confirmed cases there rose to 482, with 30 deaths.

Bangladesh’s Ministry of Public Administration said on Saturday that nobody would be allowed out of their homes from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., adding that legal action will be taken against those who fail to comply with the orders.

The government has also ordered all shops except drugstores to be shut by 6 p.m.

Official government figures on the spread of the coronavirus in South Asia are as follows:

* India has 7,447 confirmed, including 239 deaths

* Pakistan has 4,788 cases, including 71 deaths

* Afghanistan has 555 cases, including 18 deaths

* Sri Lanka has 190 cases, including 7 deaths

* Bangladesh has 482 cases, including 30 deaths

* Maldives has 19 cases and no deaths

* Nepal has nine cases and no deaths

* Bhutan has five cases and no deaths

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21T085

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday appreciated the discipline showed by the people of the country in making the 21-day lockdown to check the spread of coronavirus a success as he announced its extension.

“In my discussions with the state governments, and various stakeholders, one thing was unanimous: That we should extend the lockdown. So, I announce today that the lockdown will be extended till May 3,” PM Modi said.

He also asked people to be alert and prevent the spread of the disease. “We will impose more stringent measures in the next week. Till April 20, we will evaluate how different states are dealing with the pandemic. States which will not let hotspots increase, they could be allowed to let some important activities resume, but with certain conditions,” PM Modi said.

“The fight is moving ahead with strength. I know the hardships you faced, you are fulfilling your duties and I respectfully bow to the people of India for their sacrifice,” the PM said in his address

“People have saved the country while facing difficulties,” he added.

He also invoked Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar on his birth anniversary. “Our constitution talks about ‘We the People’. The spirit was displayed during this period,” said PM Modi.

It was PM Modi’s third televised address to the nation in less than a month. On March 19, Modi said he would seek the “coming few weeks” of Indian citizens, asked them to stay determined and patient in the fight against the global pandemic, senior citizens to remain indoors and called for a “people’s curfew” on March 22 to demonstrate their unity and resolve.

He then announced a three-week nationwide lockdown that halted commercial flights and train journeys,taken public transport off the streets, closed schools and colleges and shut industrial production.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...sFvi0KeyI.html

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    43 days of lockdown in total.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    43 days of lockdown in total.
    It had to extend bcoz Corona spread rapidly in India due to negligence of few people. Had Tabligi Jamaat incident not happened and had people followed the lockdown diligently, this extension may not have needed.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    It had to extend bcoz Corona spread rapidly in India due to negligence of few people. Had Tabligi Jamaat incident not happened and had people followed the lockdown diligently, this extension may not have needed.
    So Mahabharat warriors were foiled and defeated by Sneeze Jihad? Got it. BJP was too easily overcome alas.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Damn that flopped

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many percent of cases due to Tableeghi's?

What about fools like MLA's celebrating Birthday that too of BJP, Deputy Mayor celebrating some Jain ceremony, MP Health Secretary and her son infecting almost 100 people in Bhopal.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIC View Post

What about fools like MLA's celebrating Birthday that too of BJP, Deputy Mayor celebrating some Jain ceremony, MP Health Secretary and her son infecting almost 100 people in Bhopal.
    These guys are pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Even at this time, their clock is stuck at bashing Muslims.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Damn that flopped
    When has anything ever not been a disaster under his reign?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    These guys are pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Even at this time, their clock is stuck at bashing Muslims.
    Exactly Bro, this is now Muslim Hatred has gone off in India.

It started with them being mentioned as illiterates who want to take over India by giving unlimited birth, moved on to Beef eaters which started lynching, then NRC and now its Tableeghi.

Just look at the examples where villages, towns have started social and economic discrimination against Muslims.

I know there are fools in all religions be it Islam or Hinduism but to put blame of Corona Virus in India just on Tableeghi is a good reason for Prime leader to then cry after some months that due to these Muslims i wasnt able to help u during corona.

No one has the guts to ask him:

- Why were these tableeghi allowed in India when just today he has mentioned that his govt started Airport screening in Jan and also why isnt he helping poors from the money he took from RBI last year.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Modern day Mahabharata of 50 days

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly Bro, this is now Muslim Hatred has gone off in India.

It started with them being mentioned as illiterates who want to take over India by giving unlimited birth, moved on to Beef eaters which started lynching, then NRC and now its Tableeghi.

Just look at the examples where villages, towns have started social and economic discrimination against Muslims.

I know there are fools in all religions be it Islam or Hinduism but to put blame of Corona Virus in India just on Tableeghi is a good reason for Prime leader to then cry after some months that due to these Muslims i wasnt able to help u during corona.

No one has the guts to ask him:

- Why were these tableeghi allowed in India when just today he has mentioned that his govt started Airport screening in Jan and also why isnt he helping poors from the money he took from RBI last year.
    As I've said many times, in form of Jamaat, they've found very convenient scapegoat to hide their gross incompetence in tackling this menace.

Can anyone believe, they approved 20,000 crores Central Vista project on 20-March, 2020? Do we really need to prioritize this white elephant useless project at this stage?

Did he really not understand the gravity of the situation and now just blabbering for the sake of his illiterate followers?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our infected number is still low simply because we've tested very less, 149 tests per million as on Monday.

Even no name countries like Laos, Niger and Honduras are ahead of us in this metric. But no sir, we'll get rid of it by using turmeric, sunlight, by lighting diyas, by banging thalis etc.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://theprint.in/hoaxposed/viral-...rs-old/401624/

New Delhi: You’ve probably come across the post on social media — a US CEO — an NRI by some accounts — has “redesigned” the Indian map to depict its states as countries with equivalent populations (UP=Brazil, Rajasthan=UK, etc). This was done, the post claims, to laud the efforts of the Modi government and “explain to his employees” that India is “indirectly handling Covid-19 situation of so many countries”.

However, the post, which names neither the CEO nor the company he purportedly leads, is a hoax because the redesigned map is at least four years old.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of lengths people go on to praise their god.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think the funniest thing about all the harrassment of Indian Muslims, is the videos I've seen on here, the mobs have been pushing and shoving the outnumbered Muslims. Don't these idiots understand the concept of social distancing?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot bro.

Delhi: 325 of 356 Covid-19 cases detected in last 24 hours related to Tablighi Jamaat Markaz
    https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...617-2020-04-13

Thing is, in a global pandemic like this we cant be politically correct just bcoz it will hurt sentiments of few. We need to call spade a spade. Its a fact that the tabligi incident is the main reason why corona spread so widely and why lockdown had to extended in India. No amount of distraction tactics can hide the truth.

If tomorrow any hindutva party or BJP is at fault, we must equally blame them too.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot bro.

Delhi: 325 of 356 Covid-19 cases detected in last 24 hours related to Tablighi Jamaat Markaz
    https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...617-2020-04-13

Thing is, in a global pandemic like this we cant be politically correct just bcoz it will hurt sentiments of few. We need to call spade a spade. Its a fact that the tabligi incident is the main reason why corona spread so widely and why lockdown had to extended in India. No amount of distraction tactics can hide the truth.

If tomorrow any hindutva party or BJP is at fault, we must equally blame them too.
    It's futile brother.

Now you'll be called a Sanghi, Bhakt or an RSS supporter spreading "Hindutva propaganda". It's all done before.
    Last edited by Mesozoic; 14th April 2020 at 19:21.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think may 3 will not be sufficient for us to treat all these markhaz batch & ppl who get effected from them. I think lockdown (with ease of restrictions) will be extended till 2nd week of june.

Also for those self declared experts who think that we have tested less bcoz of 149 tests/million needs to understand that we have tested more than 217000 samples by 9 PM last night with 10454 positive cases in total. This makes for 4.8 % positive cases. If you compare this other countries clearly we have least positive cases in a million.

USA -- > 587815 / 2955225 =~ 20 %

UK --> 93,873 / 382,650 ~= 24.5 %

Pakistan --> 5,837 / 69,928 ~= 8.3%

Relying on tests/million will not give the true picture in indian conditions due to various ground level factors. India doesn't need indiscriminate testing but we need cluster testing at this moment

We need to test a lot of these markhaz returnees with their friends & relatives as they are main source of virus in India these days. At least in my state (AP) where 90 % of cases are of these TJ guys & ppl who got from them.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

True....no need to be politically correct.

But I am just trying to understand the point...

Genuine question - How many out of 10,000 cases are due to Tableeghi sources (direct or contact traced)?

Also what's your take on Amit Shah not using Delhi Police to clear out Markaz in mid Mar. It's not like this move was so hard to predict when random PPers were asking for it around that time too?

I mean anger/frustration at Tableeghis is justified but shouldn't you direct the same towards the government for not taking action?

Would like to know your views.

Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    True....no need to be politically correct.

But I am just trying to understand the point...

Genuine question - How many out of 10,000 cases are due to Tableeghi sources (direct or contact traced)?

Also what's your take on Amit Shah not using Delhi Police to clear out Markaz in mid Mar. It's not like this move was so hard to predict when random PPers were asking for it around that time too?

I mean anger/frustration at Tableeghis is justified but shouldn't you direct the same towards the government for not taking action?

Would like to know your views.
    I would not know exact figure out of 10,000 but all studies suggested that spread of virus amplified due to this gathering.

IIM study predicts 1.5 lakh Covid-19 cases by May first week as ‘result of Tablighi event’

https://theprint.in/india/iim-study-...-event/397810/

Sure, you can blame Amit Shah all you want but even a 10th class student knew that social distancing is required to stop spreading this virus. People should be sensible enough to use their judgement. You always cant wait for police danda to act.

Delhi CM announced no religious, political or social gathering in Delhi on 16th March but still people remain inside only to vacate after natiowide lockdown is announced. Infact even after PM announce lockdown on 24 March...people were still unwilling to vacate. Situation got so worse that ACP of Lajpat Nagar had to send legal notice on Mar 28th.

I dont see what else govt could have done here honestly.

Is your issue why didnt govt asked Delhi police to lathi charge them and forcefully removed them earlier? Trust me, if govt had taken any such step, intolerant brigade and NDTVs of the lost world would have ran riot - how govt is targetting only specific community etc.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I would not know exact figure out of 10,000 but all studies suggested that spread of virus amplified due to this gathering.

IIM study predicts 1.5 lakh Covid-19 cases by May first week as ‘result of Tablighi event’

Sure, you can blame Amit Shah all you want but even a 10th class student knew that social distancing is required to stop spreading this virus. People should be sensible enough to use their judgement. You always cant wait for police danda to act.

Delhi CM announced no religious, political or social gathering in Delhi on 16th March but still people remain inside only to vacate after natiowide lockdown is announced. Infact even after PM announce lockdown on 24 March...people were still unwilling to vacate. Situation got so worse that ACP of Lajpat Nagar had to send legal notice on Mar 28th.

Is your issue why didnt govt asked Delhi police to lathi charge them and forcefully removed them earlier? Trust me, if govt had taken any such step, intolerant brigade and NDTVs of the lost world would have ran riot - how govt is targetting only specific community etc.

Thanks. Will check this out.

I don't need to blame Amit Shah for anything.

People are stupid.

Government is there to do what it should.

Social distancing is the need. When people don't enforce it, what's a government supposed to do?

Take action.

Did they? No.

Are you taking them to task over it? I guess not.

A LOT. It's not just hindsight talking. My posts are there for all to see.

Is your issue why didnt govt asked Delhi police to lathi charge them and forcefully removed them earlier?
    My issue is that the govn didn't even try.

Especially when they had control in Delhi.

By the way, it's not Tableeghi only that gathered. Tons of other gatherings took place too. All posted in Coronavirus India thread.

It might be news now but I have been crying hoarse about this for so long.

Trust me, if govt had taken any such step, intolerant brigade and NDTVs of the lost world would have ran riot - how govt is targetting only specific community etc.
    If there was ONE time when people would have backed govt to do it, this would be it.

Leave violence...they didn't even try.

What good is the govt if it won't do its job?

Isn't that part of calling spade a spade too?
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 14th April 2020 at 20:59.

Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    India reports biggest one-day virus spike as lockdown eased

India recorded its biggest single-day spike in coronavirus cases as the government eased one of the world's strictest lockdowns to allow some manufacturing and agricultural activity to resume, AP reported.

An additional 1,553 cases were reported over 24 hours, raising the national total past 17,000. At least 543 people have died from Covid-19 in the country.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Last week, hours after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended a nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of the coronavirus, thousands of migrant workers gathered near a railway station in Mumbai city.

There had been rumours of train services restarting, and the workers had gathered defying rules of social distancing, putting themselves and others at risk.

They demanded that authorities arrange transport to send them back to their hometowns and villages so they could be with their families. The police, instead, used sticks to disperse them.

Around the same time, in the western state of Gujarat, hundreds of textile workers protested in Surat city, demanding passage home.

And a day later, there was outrage in the capital, Delhi, when several hundred migrants were discovered living under a bridge along the Yamuna river. The river here resembles a sewer and the bank is strewn with rubbish.

The men were unwashed and said they had not eaten in three days, since the government shelter they lived in was burned down. They have now been moved to new shelters.

The incidents have shone a spotlight the plight of millions of poor Indians who migrate from villages to cities in search of livelihood - and how the lockdown has left them stranded far away from home, with no jobs or money.

The problem of migrant workers may not be entirely unique to India, but the sheer scale - there are more than 40 million migrant labourers across the country - makes it difficult to provide relief to everyone.

Most move from villages to work in the cities as domestic helpers, drivers and gardeners, or as daily-wagers on construction sites, building malls, flyovers and homes, or as street vendors.

One critic said the mismanagement of the migrant crisis and the treatment of its poorest citizens during the pandemic could be India's shame.

Whether living in shelters, sleeping on footpaths or under flyovers, the migrants are restless and are waiting for restrictions to be eased so they can go home.

A few days back, I visited one shelter in east Delhi, located in a school building, run by the city government.

It's home to 380 migrants and I spoke to dozens of men and women there and the one question they all want answered is: "When can I go home?"

Among them is Manoj Ahirwal, who's been at the shelter with his relatives since 29 March.

"The police told us they'll help us reach home, but they brought us here instead. They tricked us," he says, dejectedly.

The 25-year-old had arrived in Delhi from Simariya, his village 650km (400 miles) away, last month. The winter crop was coming up well, but there was still a month to go before harvesting.

So, he came to Delhi and joined his mother Kalibai Ahirwal and 21 other relatives on a construction site.

He had worked for just three days when India first announced the initial 21-day lockdown on 25 March.

With their livelihood grinding to a halt and meagre savings running out fast, they decided to return to their village.

But with train and bus services halted and state borders sealed, that wasn't really an option.

On 28 March, they heard the government was arranging buses to transport those stranded on the state border and set off for the Anand Vihar bus station.

But by then, the buses had left and there were thousands like them still stranded. In desperation, they decided to walk home.

"We bought 10kg (22lbs) wheat flour, some potatoes and tomatoes. We thought we'd stop by the roadside every night and cook," Kalibai Ahirwal told me when I met her at the shelter.

At this three-storey school, iron cots or mattresses have replaced desks and benches in classrooms and the authorities are providing three cooked meals every day. There's milk for children and occasional fruit for pregnant women.

The Ahirwals say they are grateful for the facilities, but are desperate to leave.

The wheat crop in their village is ready to be harvested and Manoj Ahirwal says his father and elder brother, who are back home, can't manage on their own.

"This is the time we grow food for the whole year. The government will feed us for two-three months, but what will happen after that?" asks Kalibai Ahirwal.

Mr Modi announced the lockdown with barely four hours' notice. The decision unleashed chaos that India is still struggling to deal with.

Within hours of his announcement, millions of migrants began fleeing the cities, the key highways filled with men, women and children, carrying their belongings, trying to walk home, sometimes hundreds of miles away. Several people died in the process.

The authorities say the lockdown is key to saving lives, but the lack of planning has hit the country's poorest and most vulnerable citizens hard.

In the absence of work, many migrant workers are now dependent on food handouts from governments or charities for survival- some reduced to begging.

And as I write this story, reports are coming in about a 12-year-old girl who died after walking 150km from the southern state of Telangana to Chhattisgarh state in central India. She had walked for three days when she died, 14km from home.

"This lockdown is totally inhuman," lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan, who has filed a petition in the Supreme Court asking for migrants to be allowed to return home, told the BBC.

"Those who test negative for Covid-19 must not be forcibly kept in shelters or away from their homes and families against their wishes. The government should allow for their safe travel to their hometowns and villages and provide necessary transportation for the same," the petition says.

If it goes through, it would help the Ahirwals and all the others being held at the Delhi government shelter.

"Since 29 March when the shelter was set up, all the 380 people have been checked every morning by health staff for fever and there hasn't been even one positive case," health official Neelam Chaudhary told me.

Authorities say they are looking after 600,000 migrants in shelters while food is being provided to 2.2 million more. But millions are yet to receive any help.

"There are two types of stranded, the visible and the invisible," Anindita Adhikari, of the Stranded Workers Action Network (Swan), says.

"Those who are in shelters are visible. But there are a large number of people who are not in shelters. They live under the flyovers and sleep on footpaths, or stuck in workplaces, labour camps or slums."

Mr Bhushan says the condition of the shelters are also uneven. "In some feeding centres, people have complained of 2km-long food queues and there have been stampedes over food running out."

The desperation of the migrants is borne out by the fact that many continue to attempt fleeing the cities.

Earlier this month, police recovered 61 people from a truck meant to be transporting daily needs in Mumbai. Last week, a similar incident was reported from the north-eastern state of Assam involving 51 migrant workers. And a few days back, 11 migrants were caught in Gurgaon, a Delhi suburb, trying to flee in two ambulances.

Over the past three weeks, Swan has received more than 11,000 distress calls from stranded workers and revealed its findings in a report.

"Most said they had ration for one or two days, many said they were eating one meal a day to conserve food. We found that 89% had not been paid their wages and most had just about 200 rupees ($3 ;£2) left," Ms Adhikari says.

"With neither food nor cash, migrant workers have been pushed to the brink of starvation, alarming levels of vulnerability and extreme indignity."

Mr Bhushan says the only solution to the problem is through cash transfers to the poor by the government.

"The government says employers should not stop wages of labourers. But how can small shops or businesses pay their workers when their own survival is at stake? And what about those who are self-employed, like street vendors?"

Lockdown, Mr Bhushan says, is not the solution, and imposing Section 144 of the Indian Penal Code, which prohibits gathering of more than four people, is a better idea.

The long-term impact of the shutdown, he says, will be lots of starvation deaths, destitution and penury.

"All the poor and lower middle classes will be in long-term misery. The economy is devastated.

"By shutting everything down, you may be able to save 100,000 lives, but if the lockdown continues, you'll kill one million from hunger and starvation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52360757

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Delhi, India - Last month, during the first week of India's coronavirus lockdown - the world's largest and arguably the harshest - independent psychiatrist Maneesh Gupta was talking to a 15-year-old patient on the telephone.

Gupta's clinic is located a station away from the Delhi metro and his patients are from a wider socioeconomic demographic than most.

Gupta was worried the condition of the teenager who lived in a village in the neighbouring Uttar Pradesh state, had taken a turn for the worse during the lockdown first imposed on March 25 and now extended to May 3.

Gupta prescribed medicines over the phone and gave his father a medical note. But the boy's father was unable to source the drugs in nearby pharmacies.

The doctor finally found a pharmacy near the Delhi-Uttar Pradesh border which had the medicines, but the father was stopped by the police who refused to believe that a 15-year-old boy could have psychiatric issues.

But Gupta then remembered someone who could help.

"I asked the boy's father about their relative in the police," Gupta told Al Jazeera. "That policeman agreed and travelled 64km (40 miles) to pick up the medicines for the boy."

But millions of other patients with mental illness across India may not be as fortunate.

"Another patient, a 64-year-old woman, reduced her medicines to half of the prescribed dose as she couldn't travel to my clinic. But the reduction in dosage and uncertainty of lockdown led to anxiety, insomnia and restlessness."

When the woman tried to reach Gupta's clinic, her 25-kilometre (15 mile) journey involved multiple checks by "ill-informed, brutally disrespectful and uncooperative" policemen.

"Ultimately, the only patients I can help are those who have access to a vehicle," Gupta told Al Jazeera.

'Huge crisis'

According to India's National Mental Health Survey 2015-16, 10.6 percent of India's 1.3 billion population suffers from mental health disorders. The report notes that 80 percent of such patients are not under medical treatment.

This could be due to insufficient availability of mental health services, as well as the stigma associated with mental health disorders. There is also the fact that mental health problems often do not manifest physically.

One of Prime Minister Narendra Modi government's most-lauded achievements has been the passage of the Mental Healthcare Act in 2017, which guarantees Indians the right to mental healthcare.

The law also discourages the earlier emphasis on institutionalising or incarcerating such patients, arguing instead for integrating patients within their communities.

However, by not making arrangements for patients during the lockdown, the government may be violating its own law.

Hospitals are open. But without access to public transport, travelling to hospitals is nearly impossible, especially for those who do not live in cities.

Many patients are registered with government hospitals and get their monthly dose of medicines there.

While the government does not keep records on the number of the patients needing medication, Dr Anirban Patra, who works in Kolkata's Pavlov Hospital, told Al Jazeera he has seen a decrease in patient visits. "[It's] fallen to 20 percent of what we see on a usual day".

"Many of my patients get their medicines from the hospital. The nature of these medicines is such that you have to take them for a long time, then they are tapered off gradually if needed. Abrupt stops are harmful."

Anjali, an NGO which works on the mental health of poor communities across West Bengal state, is coordinating the distribution of the medicines from hospitals.

Doctors say the patients who have been reintegrated into their communities after being admitted in institutions for treatment are the most vulnerable during the continuing lockdown.

"The logistics have proved to be a phenomenal challenge although we have secured police passes for movement," Anjali's founder Ratnaboli Ray, also a clinical psychologist and leading human rights advocate, told Al Jazeera.

"Our staff and volunteers are constantly stopped because policemen and officials on the ground are not aware of how essential a health service this is," he said. "Systemically, this is a huge crisis."

Experts say the disquiet and anxieties caused by the coronavirus pandemic and the consequent lockdown in itself could be a cause for a spike in mental disorders.

Limited access to medicines

The government of India is promoting telemedicine as a means of providing health services during the lockdown. This requires patients to either call a helpline number or access a phone application to order their medicines.

On March 25, the first day of India's lockdown, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued telemedicine guidelines, which included a template for providing electronic prescriptions to those with mental illnesses.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, a government doctor at King George Medical University in Lucknow, who did not want to be named said the telemedicine facility had not yet started in his hospital and was expected to begin shortly.

"To be honest, our patients are mostly the rural poor," he said. "They are finding it almost impossible to travel. And psychiatric medicines are not available everywhere."

But even telemedicine prescriptions allow patients to buy a limited number of psychiatric drugs, most of which cannot be sold over the counter. In order to get the full spectrum of drugs a hard copy prescription is needed, which the patient has to obtain in person from a hospital doctor.

And despite India's impressive network of mobile phones, experts say telemedicine is an impractical solution in a country facing poverty and illiteracy.

"For telemedicine, there has to be a tele," said Ray. "Many of them [patients] are eating rice with salt once a day. They don't even have money for medicines."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...094532809.html

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lockdown Will Stay In Red Zones; Push "Do Gaz Doori", Says PM: 10 Points

New Delhi: Our economy is good, no need to worry, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said today as he indicated at a video meeting with Chief Ministers that the coronavirus lockdown would continue beyond May 3 in the parts of the country worst affected by the infection. "There is no need to worry on the economy front, our economy is good," PM Modi reportedly told nine Chief Ministers, emphasizing that the lockdown had saved thousands of lives in the past one and a half months. The PM asked states to draw up a plan to exit the lockdown by marking districts as red, orange and green to indicate the level and intensity of the COVID-19 infection. Most of the Chief Ministers said the lockdown should end, but they had expressed concern about the shuttered economy.

Here are the top 10 updates on this big story:

"We have to give importance to the economy as well as continue the fight against COVID-19," PM Modi told Chief Ministers.

The Prime Minister stressed on the need to follow the mantra of "do gaz doori (six feet apart)" and said masks would remain a part of our lives for times to come.

Economic activities are likely to reopen in orange and green districts, which have far fewer cases or none.

States, said the PM, must make efforts to covert red zones into orange and then into green zones.

Private cars may be allowed with restrictions but the ban on public transport is likely to continue.

Schools and colleges are likely to stay shut and the ban on religious meetings and congregations will also continue.

Five of nine Chief Ministers at the meeting said the lockdown should end, while the rest were in favour of extending it for the sake of controlling the spread of COVID-19.

Among those who favoured continuing the lockdown was Meghalaya and Odisha.

"Green zones will be opened, relaxations in sectors have been agreed to but the mindset of lockdown will continue. We should get people ready with new norms like social distancing," said Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan skipped the meeting and sent the Chief Secretary to represent the state.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...at-mee-2218911

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Coronavirus India Lockdown Extension LIVE News updates: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday decided to extend the nationwide lockdown, imposed to arrest the spread of coronavirus, for two more weeks starting from May 4. The lockdown which is in place since March 25, was set to end after completing 40 days on May 3. In the last 24 hours, India reported 1,913 cases of coronavirus, taking the total number in the country to 35,365 on Friday, including 1,152 deaths, the Union Health Ministry said. Maharashtra recorded the highest single-day spike in the number of infections with 1,008 new cases taking tally to 11,506.

Meanwhile, the Centre divided districts in the country into ‘red’, ‘orange’ and ‘green’ zones as per the doubling rate and number of cases. At least 130 districts are in the red zone, 284 in orange and 319 in green. Metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune, Bengaluru, Chennai and Ahmedabad are in the red zone. The government said it could be possible to relax restrictions in red and orange zones.

It also issued an order allowing movement of stranded migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students and others by special trains operated by the Railways Ministry. The first such train carrying about 1,000 migrant labourers left Telangana’s Lingampally at 6 am this morning and will reach Hatia in Jharkhand at 11 pm. At least 1,000 workers will leave Aluva in Kerala this evening and head for Bhuvaneshwar in Odisha.

Meanwhile, on the global front, the coronavirus has claimed at least over 233,000 lives and infected over 3.2 million people, according to a tally by John Hopkins University. The United States continues to be the worst-hit, with over 10,00,000 cases and 61,000 deaths

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...-news-6387832/

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ramayan breaks world record, becomes most-watched entertainment show globally: Doordarshan

The popular mythological series, 'Ramayan', which is being rebroadcasted on Doordarshan during the Coronavirus lockdown days to great appeal has smashed viewership records worldwide. 'Ramayan', the Ramanand Sagar-directed TV serial became the world's most-watched show on April 16 with 7.7 crore viewers, DD India posted on its official Twitter handle on Thursday.

https://m.republicworld.com/entertai...ordarshan.html

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    God's Own Country.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Name:  869D9738-D285-4A1E-BB4A-E6F26F7463AA.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  27.4 KB

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Ramayan breaks world record, becomes most-watched entertainment show globally: Doordarshan

The popular mythological series, 'Ramayan', which is being rebroadcasted on Doordarshan during the Coronavirus lockdown days to great appeal has smashed viewership records worldwide. 'Ramayan', the Ramanand Sagar-directed TV serial became the world's most-watched show on April 16 with 7.7 crore viewers, DD India posted on its official Twitter handle on Thursday.

https://m.republicworld.com/entertai...ordarshan.html
    World's most watched show.

That's because the billions of Indians around the globe will all be tuning in from Mumbai to Johannesberg.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaayal View Post
    Name:  869D9738-D285-4A1E-BB4A-E6F26F7463AA.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  27.4 KB
    Lol, true.

No plan is also a good plan for devotees.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, true.

No plan is also a good plan for devotees.
    You are telling me that the police, state governments,municipalities and even the shop keepers, employees etc are all doing their own thing without any template from the central government?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only extending lockdown without bothering for majority population for days, weeks and months is any plan, then yes it's a great plan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Did India Gov think about the effects on migrant workers when they did the lockdown?

==

Hours after the Aurangabad train incident, the Chief railway safety commissioner has written to the railway board chairman instructing him to ensure abundant caution to avoid any such incidents in the future.

The railway safety watchdog, who is appointed under the civil aviation ministry, has written a letter, a copy of which has been reviewed by Hindustan Times, saying that the labourers who were crushed by the goods train were lying on the railway tracks as they were under the impression that no trains have been plying since the lockdown.

“Apparently, the affected persons had gathered along the track under the impression that the train services have been suspended due to Covid-19 lockdown. Furthermore, false sense of security may have come to their minds about there being no trains on run whereas freight, parcel specials have been running from before and now migrant specials have also started plying,” he wrote.

At least 16 migrant labourers were crushed to death in the early hours of Friday morning by a goods train in Maharashtra after they fell asleep on the tracks. An inquiry has been ordered by the railway safety commissioner.

“It is with a heavy heart that I solicit your kind attention to the unfortunate incident of around 14-16 persons run over by a goods train…as discussed with you, statutory inquiry by CRS has been ordered into this incident,” he wrote.

“Now that such an incident of migrants or other persons walking along the track leading to consequent deaths have come to notice, all our efforts must be made to prevent recurrence of such incidents in the future,” he added.

The safety commissioner said, as an abundant precaution, it is essential that all railway personnel connected with train operations, maintenance, and patrolling activities should be cautioned to immediately communicate any occurrence of persons walking along the track, “if noticed by them, to the nearest station so that necessary action like caution order to all passing trains…may be taken.”

The safety commissioner has instructed that a ‘caution order’ will have to be given to ensure special precautions.

“In consequence of the line being under repair or for any other reason, special precautions are necessary, a Caution Order detailing the kilometres between which such precautions are necessary, the reasons for taking such precautions, and the speed at which a train shall travel, shall be handed to the Loco Pilot at the stopping station immediately short of the place where such precautions are necessary, or at such other stations and in such manner, as prescribed under special instructions,” the letter said.

The loco pilot driving the freight train that was involved in the incident of running over labourers in Aurangabad district, Maharashtra, had tried to warn them by honking upon spotting them and also tried to stop the train, the railway ministry said Friday.

“The Controller or the Centralised Traffic control Operator, on becoming aware of such defect or failure, shall inform the same to the railway servant responsible for the maintenance of the equipment and other railway servants concerned,” he added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...xucIbNDNK.html

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only extending lockdown without bothering for majority population for days, weeks and months is any plan, then yes it's a great plan.
    Instead of whining about everything, what is your plan, how do you think this should have been handled? what are the alternatives? Or are you one of those who criticize just for the heck of it because you hate the current government.

Look in Hindsight a lot of things should have been done to handle this and that is applicable to every country on earth.

At least there is an actionable plan here, good or bad from the government.

Show me one country which has had a 100% fool proof template. Anyways I like the fact the center and state are on the same page and setbacks like overseas stranded Indians or migrant workers have been handled as we go along.

Not saying that everything when it comes to implementing will be translated as expected or according to the plan, you can blame that on inefficiency and sure you can blame the state or Federal government for not putting the right people in such instances, but not sure what else can be done.

I think Modi has done a good job and a lot of state governments deserve credit as well.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On 13th March, national Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan was heard saying that there was no national medical emergency and any one talking about it was creating panic. That's our health minister who apparently himself is a doc!

56" was busy exporting PPEs and other necessary stuff to fight Covid till 20-Mar.

He deemed it fit to host Trump rather than concentrate on fighting riots in his backyard and nip Covid in the bud.

He has still not shelved his personal fetish for redesigning central vista,a project that will cost exchequer thousands crores of rupees while people are hard pressed for even a single course of meal.

He has acted like a devil in dealing with plight of crores of Indian migrants.

He has done nothing to assuage the feelings of so many small entrepreneurs and traders who not only earn for themselves but also were medium of so many poor Indians' livelihood.

List of his failures is endless....

Only things he has been good at is in shoshebaazi, religious polarization even in these times and of course, extending lockdowns.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As is being said, when the going gets tough, tough gets going.

However he has never been able to exhibit that even remotely in the 6 years he has ruled us. Knowing him quite well, I know it's beyond him to do that in remainder of his term as for that you need to be forthcoming on your shortcomings and accept that you can't know everything.

Kind of unnecessary and enormous pain he foisted on most Indians during demonetization just for his own fetish to win elections is a good indicator that he simply doesn't care for common Indians.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday took part in a meeting with chief ministers of all the states and Union territories, and discussed with them measures to tackle the coronavirus pandemic. He also took their opinions on whether the ongoing lockdown should be extended. In the meeting, he said until a vaccine is developed, social distancing is the biggest weapon in the fight against COVID-19.

Here is the full statement from the Prime Minister's Office:

Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today interacted with the Chief Ministers of all the States and UTs in the country to discuss the road ahead in India's fight against COVID-19.

In his opening remarks the Prime Minister said, "We now have reasonably clear indication as to the geographical spread of the pandemic in India, including the worst affected areas. Moreover, over the past few weeks, officials have understood operating procedures in a time such as this, right up to the District level."

Prime Minister said that this understanding of the spread of COVID-19 will help the country in having a focussed fight against it.

"And therefore, we can now further focus our strategy in this battle against coronavirus, as should be the case. We have a twofold challenge - to reduce the transmission rate of the disease, and to increase public activity gradually, while adhering to all the guidelines, and we will have to work towards achieving both these objectives", he said.

Prime Minister further said now the effort should be to stop the spread of the COVID-19 to rural areas.

The Prime Minister said the suggestions made by the States for a roadmap on Economy have been given due consideration.

The Chief Ministers appreciated the leadership of the Prime Minister in the country's fight against COVID-19 and also highlighted the need to strengthen the medical and health infrastructure in the country. Several of them pointed out that with the return of migrants, there is a need to concentrate on strict implementation of the social distancing guidelines, usage of masks and sanitization in order to curb the spread through fresh infection, especially in rural areas.

The compulsory quarantining of the stranded Indians returning from abroad was also highlighted. The Chief Ministers in their suggestions on economy have sought support to MSMEs, Infrastructure projects like Power, easing of interest rates on loans and assured market access to the agricultural produce.

Prime Minister thanked the Chief Minister's for their proactive role in the country's fight against the COVID-19 and for their valuable suggestions emanating out of their grassroot level experience.

Prime Minister said that we must understand that the World has fundamentally changed post COVID-19. Now the World will be Pre-Corona, Post-Corona just like the case of the World Wars. And this would entail significant changes in how we function.

He said the new way of life would be on the principle of "Jan Se lekar Jag Tak", from an individual to the whole of humanity.

He said we must all plan for the new reality.

"Even as we look at the gradual withdrawal of the lockdown, we should constantly remember that till we do not find a vaccine or a solution, the biggest weapon with us to the fight the virus is social distancing", he said.

Prime Minister reaffirmed the importance of Do Gaz Ki doori and added that suggestion of night curfew raised by many CMs would surely reaffirm the feeling of caution among people.

He requested all the Chief Ministers for specific feedback lockdown.
    "I request you all to share with me by 15th May, a broad strategy on how you each one of you would want to deal with the lockdown regime in your particular states. I want states to make a blue print on how to deal with various nuances during and after the gradual easing of the lockdown", he said.

Prime Minister said, we will need an all-encompassing approach to deal with various challenges that will arise before us. With the onset of Monsoon, there will be proliferation of many non-COVID19 diseases, for which we must prepare and strengthen our medical and health systems.

He asked the policy makers to also keep in mind how to embrace new models of teaching and learning in the education sector.
    Referring to Tourism the Prime Minister said he saw potential for domestic tourism but we need to think of the contours of the same.

He said, "I am of the firm view that the measures needed in the first phase of lockdown were not needed during the 2nd phase and similarly the measures needed in the 3rd Phase are not needed in the fourth."

Referring to the resumption of train Services, the Prime Minister said, this is needed to rev up the economic activity, but said that all the routes will not be resumed. Prime Minister said only a limited number of trains would ply.

The Prime Minister said he continues to feel optimistic, when not even a single state sounded despondent and that this collective determination will make India win in its fight against COVID-19.

PM said that the Post-COVID era also brings opportunities that India must leverage.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...ome-topstories

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting anecdote about Sardar Patel during 1917 plague that hit Ahmedabad.

Sardar Patel who had just been elected Chairman of the Sanitation Committee.

He did not take refuge in his house but stepped forward and did his duty to the fullest. He could be seen every day walking the empty streets with his volunteers, visiting the wards affected and doing what needed to be done to fight the epidemic without any thought of personal comfort or safety.

And that is where his legend began.

Building statues of the Sardar is easy, but following in his footsteps when it really counts is the true measure of a leader.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    An interesting anecdote about Sardar Patel during 1917 plague that hit Ahmedabad.

Sardar Patel who had just been elected Chairman of the Sanitation Committee.

He did not take refuge in his house but stepped forward and did his duty to the fullest. He could be seen every day walking the empty streets with his volunteers, visiting the wards affected and doing what needed to be done to fight the epidemic without any thought of personal comfort or safety.

And that is where his legend began.

Building statues of the Sardar is easy, but following in his footsteps when it really counts is the true measure of a leader.
    don't believe these post humous hagiographies. You will be surprised to know some uncomfortable facts about the so called sardar. no wonder bjp has appropriated that guy.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mr Modi living for the moment - hope he knows what he is doing.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are the 21 days done yet?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ill give Modi and the RSS the benefit and check back after 21 months

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mention of those 21 days by him any longer. Just like there has been no mention of black money after his pet project of demonetization failed so spectacularly.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Trump, Modi = God Complex.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    6,000 new cases in India in biggest one-day rise since outbreak started

India has reported 6,000 new cases of the coronavirus, the country’s biggest 24-hour rise since the pandemic began.

Figures on the new infections come as New Delhi eases the nationwide lockdown and some domestic flights resume.

On Friday, India reported over 118,000 confirmed cases – roughly a 5% increase from Thursday. A total of 3,853 people have died after contracting the virus.

Although the current lockdown, which began on March 25, has been extended to May 31 by prime minister Narendra Modi, rules have been relaxed in areas with lower case numbers.

State governments are also allowed to issue their own guidance on some matters.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Ajay Devgan, Amitabh Bachan congratulate PM Modi on the Ayushman Bharat success

https://m.timesofindia.com/videos/entertainment/hindi/after-ajay-devgn-amitabh-bachchan-congratulates-pm-narendra-modi-for-the-success-of-ayushman-bharat-scheme/videoshow/75862162.cms

In before Bachan ji is called a bhakt
    Last edited by Rajdeep; 22nd May 2020 at 13:53.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    6,000 new cases in India in biggest one-day rise since outbreak started

India has reported 6,000 new cases of the coronavirus, the country’s biggest 24-hour rise since the pandemic began.

Figures on the new infections come as New Delhi eases the nationwide lockdown and some domestic flights resume.

On Friday, India reported over 118,000 confirmed cases – roughly a 5% increase from Thursday. A total of 3,853 people have died after contracting the virus.

Although the current lockdown, which began on March 25, has been extended to May 31 by prime minister Narendra Modi, rules have been relaxed in areas with lower case numbers.

State governments are also allowed to issue their own guidance on some matters.
    Does this not bother you? @Rajdeep

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this not bother you? @Rajdeep
    Yes it bothers me big time. If developed countries like USA are not able to manage this pandemic, imagine the situation of India once the death toll starts to rise.

Its a stern test and perhaps the biggest test for Modi. And if he cant manage the cricis properly, he will be out of favour as PM. But not sure what he can do in this situation tbh.

A) He can enforce the total lockdown again which will surely reduce the death rates but Indian economy will take a nose dive. If India is shut down for 1 more month, it will lead to severe recession.

B) Open up banks, companies,transportation etc. but death rates will spike up due to people to people contamination.

C) Go for herd immunity. This is an unproven method but I think may work out better in longer term that the other two.

Honestly its a catch 22 situation and all global leaders including Modi is looking helpless.

As long as vaccine is not found, I dont think anyone can do anything about this situation.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    More from news earlier that India has overtaken Italy as the sixth worst-hit country in the coronavirus pandemic after another biggest single-day spike in confirmed infections.

India’s health ministry reported 9,887 new cases on Saturday, bringing the official total to 236,657. It means it now has fewer confirmed cases than only the United States, Brazil, Russia, Britain and Spain.

By comparison, India’s official Covid-19 death toll – at 6,642 – remains relatively low compared to the other countries.

Reuters reports that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government is attempting to jump-start the economy, which has been crippled by the epidemic, and put millions back to work. The government is easing its lockdown of the 1.3 billion population imposed in March, with restrictions loosened from Monday but some experts are worried it is too soon.

Giridhar R Babu, epidemiologist at the Public Health Foundation of India, in particular questioned the re-opening of religious places. “We can survive and sustain the gains without ... opening up religious places for sometime,” he wrote on Twitter.

Concerts, sporting events and political rallies are still banned. On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) highlighted India’s lockdown had helped it dampen down transmission of the disease, but warned there was a risk the cases could rise again.

“As India and in other large countries open up and people begin to move there is always a risk of the disease bouncing back up,” Dr Mike Ryan, head of WHO’s emergencies programme, told a news conference in Geneva.

People visiting places of worship will be asked to wash their hands and feet, and there will be no distribution of food offerings, sprinkling of holy water or touching of idols and holy books.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are 21 days not over as yet?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Delhi coronavirus deaths twice as high, say authorities

Deaths from coronavirus in New Delhi are almost twice as high as official figures show, a city leader said, as India overtook Britain with the fourth-highest number of cases worldwide.

With India’s lockdown being widely eased, the government has been reporting almost 10,000 new confirmed cases every day with infections totalling almost 300,000, including 8,500 deaths.

Densely populated megacities such as Delhi and Mumbai are the worst affected, stretching hospitals to breaking point.

But data in Delhi is understating the true scale of the outbreak, said Jai Prakash, standing committee head of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation, one of the three sub-districts that make up the capital.

Citing data from the city’s busy crematoriums and cemeteries, Prakash said on Thursday that just over 2,000 people have died from the virus across the city - almost twice the official toll.

“These were corona positive cases. We have a separate record of funerals of some another 200 suspected cases,” Prakash told reporters.

But the party that governs Delhi as a whole, which has come under fire for its handling of the health crisis, rejected the claims.

“This is a time to unite and save lives of people. This is not the time to make allegations,” the Aam Aadmi Party said in a statement.

Financial capital Mumbai is officially India’s worst affected city with almost 2,000 fatalities.

Parts of the Dharavi area in Mumbai, one of Asia’s largest slums, have been under strict months-long lockdown. The number of new cases has been easing, with 20 new infections confirmed on Friday.

The death toll in the southern city of Chennai is at least 460, more than double the official figure, media reports said this week.

Despite the surge in cases nationally, which is being mirrored elsewhere in South Asia, prime minister Narendra Modi’s government has declared the lockdown a success and has been steadily lifting restrictions