Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Shane Warne names best Pakistani XI (players he played against), names Wasim Akram as captain

New Delhi [India], Apr 2 (ANI): Former Australian spinner Shane Warne on Thursday picked his greatest Pakistan XI and named pacer Wasim Akram as its captain.

The 50-year-old legendary leg-spinner picked the team during his Instagram Live session and chose only those players with whom he has played during his cricketing career.

In the batting department, he named Saeed Anwar, Aamir Sohail, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Younis Khan and Moin Khan as wicket-keeper batsman.

The pace bowling unit headed by Akram includes lethal speedsters Shoaib Akhtar, and Waqar Younis while Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed find their spots as spinners.

Warne's greatest Pakistan XI:

Saeed Anwar
    Aamir Sohail
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Younis Khan
    Moin Khan (wk)
    Wasim Akram (c)
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Mushtaq Ahmed
    Shoaib Akhtar
    Waqar Younis

"Akram was the best bowler that I saw, his skill with the ball was exceptional," Warne said.

Akram had a phenomenal record to his name, in 104 Tests he dismissed 414 wickets including 20 five-wicket hauls. In 356 ODIs, he had 502 wickets with an average of 23.52.

Warne too had amazing figures against Pakistan. He played 13 longest format games against them and scalped 71 wickets with an average of 21.10. (ANI)

https://www.aninews.in/news/sports/c...0200402132815/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Salim Malik. Strange. He played him best among the Pak batsmen and he said that in interviews a number of times. Something to do with the fixing allegations that they had against each other I guess

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a heck of a bowling line up!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    No Salim Malik. Strange. He played him best among the Pak batsmen and he said that in interviews a number of times. Something to do with the fixing allegations that they had against each other I guess
    Personal grudge played a part in selection i guess

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one past 2007

Just goes to show we have been in a major, major decline since Inzi retired

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    No one past 2007

Just goes to show we have been in a major, major decline since Inzi retired
    This list comprises of all those he played against. Otherwise he would've included Yasir Shah.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good list. That's the best XI Warne can pick considering the players whom he played against. Did Warne never played with Imran because he played vs Kapil in a couple of games and has him in the Indian XI?

Actually I was quite disappointed by the Indian XI he picked as VVS Laxman was not included in that team. Considering the opinions that Warne and Greg Chappell had given in past about Laxman's ability to play Warne and the great Australian side, he should probably be the first or second pick in that team.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Good list. That's the best XI Warne can pick considering the players whom he played against. Did Warne never played with Imran because he played vs Kapil in a couple of games and has him in the Indian XI?

Actually I was quite disappointed by the Indian XI he picked as VVS Laxman was not included in that team. Considering the opinions that Warne and Greg Chappell had given in past about Laxman's ability to play Warne and the great Australian side, he should probably be the first or second pick in that team.
    Surprised that he didn't pick Laxman given how well Laxman batted against him, but then maybe I shouldn't be surprised given that he also didn't pick Saleem Malik in the Pakistan XI

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bowling line up warne has picked

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Very much predictable XI - even absence of Malik & Latif, it's Warne after all. I'll drop Amir, open with MoYo or Latif (over Moin, any day) and play Malik at 4. Rest select by themselves.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafizexpress View Post
    This list comprises of all those he played against. Otherwise he would've included Yasir Shah.
    He played against Asif also but I donít think Asif played well in that match

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this is almost exactly the Pak team that used to battle with Aus regularly in the late-90's, including WC final

not very creative from Warne

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That was almost the Pakistan team in 2003 world cup. Thanks to Waqar's garbage defensive captaincy, we couldn't make it past first round.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    714 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Salim Malik was a good middle order batsman but he would struggle to get into a middle order of inzi, moyo, yk.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think he gains some leeway by calling it ĎGreatest Pakistan XIí, so it is just about picking great players and putting them together in a rough Ďteamí, rather than creating the Ďbest teamí.

I say this because I know it is Warney and he has an aggressive mindset, and may be happy to go with five batsmen and Moin Khan at six (!) but you donít need five frontline bowlers in a test XI. So could easily drop one of the spinners for Salim Malik.. probably didnít pick him because Malik was a fixer. Fair enough in my book, if that is the reason.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LAHORE: Former Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne has named his greatest Pakistan XI, with legendary pacer Wasim Akram as the captain of the side. The 50-year-old selected his greatest Pakistan XI during an Instagram live session and picked only the players he played against in his career.

“Akram was the best bowler that I saw, his skill with the ball was terrific,” Warne said. The legendary Aussie cricketer named left-handers Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar as the team’s opening pair, while run-machine Mohammad Yousaf was picked to play at the number three spot. “I reckon Anwar was one of the best openers the world has seen and I might even include him in my all-time World XI. Him and Sohail were fantastic,” he said. Warne named a strong middle-order with the likes of former captains Inzamamul Haq and Younis Khan in the lineup. Moin Khan was named as the wicketkeeper of the side while Akram was slotted in at the number seven position. “Loved Younis Khan’s appetite for big runs,” he said. “Yousaf was a class player against, both, spin and pace.”

“I got Inzi [Inzamam] out a lot but he was a special player. He was really good against pace and used to smash them all over the park,” he added. Apart from Akram, the bowling attack included spin duo of Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed and express pace of Shoaib Akhtar and Waqar Younis. “Akhtar was the fastest bowler I faced. With someone running in from 20-30 meters and bowling consistently at 100 miles per hour was scary,” he said. “Waqar was a great bowler too especially because of his reverse swing and Yorkers.”

Warne’s Pakistan XI: Saeed Anwar, Aamir Sohail, Mohammad Yousaf, Inzamamul Haq, Younis Khan, Moin Khan (wk), Wasim Akram (c), Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Shoaib Akhtar, Waqar Younis agencies

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ischemia View Post
    Malik played him very easily.

In fact not many batsmen played Warne as comfortably as Malik did. But I guess other issues come into why he's not in his XI.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asifnow View Post
    That is a heck of a bowling line up!
    It's not even a fantasy line up. Infighting, partying and fixing ruined the greatest generation of Pakistani cricketers to ever exist.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    It's not even a fantasy line up. Infighting, partying and fixing ruined the greatest generation of Pakistani cricketers to ever exist.
    On paper this bowling attack looks better than it was Only a couple of them ever played together at their best

Mushy Waqar and Wasim peak was early to mid 90s when the other 2 hadnt debuted, they were past their best by the late 90s and thats when Saqlain and Akhters best period was

All of them never really played together during their respective peaks

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar
    Aamir Sohail
    Younis Khan
    Ijaz Ahmed \ Salim Malik
    Mohammad Yousuf
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Moin Khan (wk)
    Wasim Akram (c)
    Mushtaq \ Saqlain
    Shoaib Akhtar
    Waqar Younis

This would be my x1 from the warne period

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Yeah I think so, the way both spinners were spoiled by the PCB, the push for Waqar to retire and all the match fixing in the mid to late 90s was just so sad.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saeed anwar
    amir sohail
    javed miandad
    babar azam
    inzamam
    younis khan
    latif
    wasim akram
    saqlain
    waqar
    shaoib

This is my greatest Pakistani team. What's yours?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he simply was one of the great..could have achieved more..those silky flicks and drives

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    saeed anwar
    amir sohail
    javed miandad
    babar azam
    inzamam
    younis khan
    latif
    wasim akram
    saqlain
    waqar
    shaoib

This is my greatest Pakistani team. What's yours?
    What about Imran Khan?

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    What about Imran Khan?
    ah crap. how did I forget him. Take saqlain out. imran in. No spinners. All out pace attack.