User Tag List

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Governor Andrew Cuomo has exhibited the most adequate leadership in this pandemic

Anybody feel like Gov Cuomo of New York has been the most authoritative and present of all world leaders? I feel like he's the best example of how to lead in a crisis. Granted he tried to cut medicaid but other than that he's been on point on this corona counter-offensive.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What leadership? The Covid-19 management by NY state leaves a lot to be desired. They haven't peaked yet and it will most likely surpass Italy in the number of deaths.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuomo is very impressive and kinda funny. He's definitely running in 2024.
    I've been watching both Trump's and Cuomo's daily press conferences for the last 2 weeks now and it's nice to see them get grilled by reporters on every little issue regarding CoVid. These regular media interactions is something other democracies should be emulating.

John 3:16

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaskutty View Post
    Cuomo is very impressive and kinda funny. He's definitely running in 2024.
    I've been watching both Trump's and Cuomo's daily press conferences for the last 2 weeks now and it's nice to see them get grilled by reporters on every little issue regarding CoVid. These regular media interactions is something other democracies should be emulating.
    Can't run in 2024, Biden's VP Gretchen Whitmer is gonna run that year.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treker747 View Post
    What leadership? The Covid-19 management by NY state leaves a lot to be desired. They haven't peaked yet and it will most likely surpass Italy in the number of deaths.
    There's not much you can do to predict and control a viral pandemic that came out of nowhere, that said Cuomo has been present, interacting with the media and his constituents regularly, which evokes the people's confidence and calms the public. He's been aggressively importing PPE and ventilators, he's really doing the most right now.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    There's not much you can do to predict and control a viral pandemic that came out of nowhere, that said Cuomo has been present, interacting with the media and his constituents regularly, which evokes the people's confidence and calms the public. He's been aggressively importing PPE and ventilators, he's really doing the most right now.
    Sorry the 'calming' press conferences are good TV but doesn't give much confidence to the loved ones who died and the frontline workers facing severe shortages of PPE in medical facilities. Lack of poor planning and neglect in medical services for years by NY state has brought us to this sad state of affairs.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Can't run in 2024, Biden's VP Gretchen Whitmer is gonna run that year.
    Nah, Biden will lose in November and Cuomo plus all of this year's Dem candidates will run again in 2024.

John 3:16

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of other leaders in different parts of the world who is working with much lesser resources with less educated population.

As usual, whoever does decent job in US is the best in the world.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, New York on its own has more cases of Coronavirus than many other nations. Dems love projecting themselves as the competent ones but they really aren’t and it’s all PR.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    37% of all cases in US have been found in New York. 37%!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    If I remember correctly, New York on its own has more cases of Coronavirus than many other nations. Dems love projecting themselves as the competent ones but they really aren’t and it’s all PR.
    Right, at the end of the day thier funding comes from coked up pseudo liberal wall street bros

Just like republicans are loyal to their Idiotic lobbyists

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    37% of all cases in US have been found in New York. 37%!
    But tbf it's mostly in NYC and it's a international city(but london also comes to mind they are not doing that bad)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the USA perhaps but surely not in the whole world.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my observations young Austrian chancellor should great leadership skills and acted early and was able to win the trust of the population while making some tough decisions.

Only after the pandemic can we really say who did how well.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    But tbf it's mostly in NYC and it's a international city(but london also comes to mind they are not doing that bad)
    I’m talking about NewYork state.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m talking about NewYork state.
    That's what I mean most of the cases are in tri-state area not all of the NYS

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wait till you realise Cuomo’s position on Israel-Palestine issue. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he turns out to be a full blown colonial shill.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is NY locked down or not?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Its locked down, business are closed but people's movement is not restricted.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Its shelter-in-place - everything closed except for the essentials, but public transport is running for getting essential workers into the city. Restaurants open only for delivery & take-out. Its virtually a ghost town these days, never seen anything like it - not even post 9/11.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuomo had done a good job so far, but have also been greatly impressed by the governor of Ohio- DeWise. Has been extremely proactive unlike his Republican peers in tackling the crisis.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Donald Trump is not a “king” and does not have “total authority” to reopen the US economy from its coronavirus shutdown, New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, said on Tuesday.

At a chaotic, angry and rambling White House briefing on Monday night, the president, champing at the bit to reopen the US as early as 1 May, made a startling claim.

“When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total,” he said, referring to public health and police powers in the states and territories.

Constitutional scholars and state governors alike were quick to reject the idea with Cuomo leading the charge in a spat over tackling the pandemic that is pitting the White House versus state leaders.

“I don’t know what the president is talking about, frankly,” Cuomo told NBC. “We have a constitution … we don’t have a king … the president doesn’t have total authority.”

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, also chimed in.

“I am not running for office to be King of America,” he said in a tweet. “I respect the constitution. I’ve read the constitution. I’ve sworn an oath to it many times. I respect the great job so many of this country’s governors – Democratic and Republican – are doing under these horrific circumstances.”

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, by Tuesday the US had confirmed more than 582,000 Covid-19 cases and more than 23,000 people had died. New York is the hardest-hit state with just short of 800 deaths every day and nearly 11,000 deaths in all: nearly four times its death toll on 9/11.

On Tuesday, the International Monetary Fund said the pandemic would lead to the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The once booming US economy, hitherto the president’s trump card in a re-election year, is in meltdown, with unemployment spiraling and stocks sliding. Facing polling deficits against Biden in battleground states, Trump has said he will listen to his public health experts – who have counseled against reopening too soon – but has also said he alone will decide when social distancing and other measures should be dropped.

On Monday, the names of a “council to reopen America” were reported. All were Trump officials, including the president’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Jared Kushner. There were no public health advisers among them.

Meanwhile, Cuomo and governors of six other north-eastern states announced plans to co-ordinate on when to relax social-distancing guidelines and reopen to business. Similar moves have happened on the west coast.

On Tuesday, Cuomo said any decision to reopen would have “to be phased. It has to be balanced. It’s a public health strategy and an economic reactivation strategy.

“The key to me is testing. People have to know that they are safe and the testing actually works to make people feel safe, and we don’t have that capacity now … We have to develop that widespread testing capacity.”

Trump’s performance at the White House podium prompted widespread alarm, his repeated claim of “total authority” reminding some observers of Richard Nixon’s infamous claim after the Watergate scandal that “when the president does it, that means that it’s not illegal”

Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas, tweeted: “Nope. That would be the literal definition of a totalitarian government – which our traditions, our constitution, and our values all rightly and decisively reject.”

There was also dissent among Trump allies in Congress, many of whom spent years accusing Barack Obama of executive overreach, including the Florida senator Marco Rubio.

As TV networks and news websites continued to debate whether Trump’s briefings – which Cuomo called “a comedy show” – should be broadcast live at all, some observers reached for colorful language to describe the president’s misleading claims, attacks on journalists and showing of a propaganda film largely culled from Fox News.

In a column for the Daily Beast, the former Republican consultant turned anti-Trump author and organizer Rick Wilson called the briefing “a manic, gibbering, squint-eyed ragefest by America’s Worst President, a petty display by a failed man who long ago passed the limits of his competence and knowledge”.

Trump did not clear muddied waters later on Tuesday, when he tweeted, obscurely: “Tell the Democrat governors that ‘Mutiny On The Bounty’ was one of my all-time favorite movies. A good old-fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the captain. Too easy!”

Speaking to reporters in Albany, Cuomo insisted he did not want to get into a fight with the president – to play Fletcher Christian to his Captain Bligh, perhaps – even though Trump was, he said, “wrong on the law”.

But Cuomo chose to follow the president into the alleyways of 18th-century history.

The governor showed a PowerPoint slide in which Alexander Hamilton discoursed on the “inherent advantages” of state governments, which in the founder’s view in 1788 “give them an influence and ascendancy over the national government”.

Cuomo stressed “ascendancy”. It was, he said with something of a Trumpian flourish, “a beautiful word”.

The White House scheduled its next briefing for 5pm.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eopen-us-cuomo

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Donald Trump is not a “king” and does not have “total authority” to reopen the US economy from its coronavirus shutdown, New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, said on Tuesday.

At a chaotic, angry and rambling White House briefing on Monday night, the president, champing at the bit to reopen the US as early as 1 May, made a startling claim.

“When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total,” he said, referring to public health and police powers in the states and territories.

Constitutional scholars and state governors alike were quick to reject the idea with Cuomo leading the charge in a spat over tackling the pandemic that is pitting the White House versus state leaders.

“I don’t know what the president is talking about, frankly,” Cuomo told NBC. “We have a constitution … we don’t have a king … the president doesn’t have total authority.”

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, also chimed in.

“I am not running for office to be King of America,” he said in a tweet. “I respect the constitution. I’ve read the constitution. I’ve sworn an oath to it many times. I respect the great job so many of this country’s governors – Democratic and Republican – are doing under these horrific circumstances.”

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, by Tuesday the US had confirmed more than 582,000 Covid-19 cases and more than 23,000 people had died. New York is the hardest-hit state with just short of 800 deaths every day and nearly 11,000 deaths in all: nearly four times its death toll on 9/11.

On Tuesday, the International Monetary Fund said the pandemic would lead to the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The once booming US economy, hitherto the president’s trump card in a re-election year, is in meltdown, with unemployment spiraling and stocks sliding. Facing polling deficits against Biden in battleground states, Trump has said he will listen to his public health experts – who have counseled against reopening too soon – but has also said he alone will decide when social distancing and other measures should be dropped.

On Monday, the names of a “council to reopen America” were reported. All were Trump officials, including the president’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Jared Kushner. There were no public health advisers among them.

Meanwhile, Cuomo and governors of six other north-eastern states announced plans to co-ordinate on when to relax social-distancing guidelines and reopen to business. Similar moves have happened on the west coast.

On Tuesday, Cuomo said any decision to reopen would have “to be phased. It has to be balanced. It’s a public health strategy and an economic reactivation strategy.

“The key to me is testing. People have to know that they are safe and the testing actually works to make people feel safe, and we don’t have that capacity now … We have to develop that widespread testing capacity.”

Trump’s performance at the White House podium prompted widespread alarm, his repeated claim of “total authority” reminding some observers of Richard Nixon’s infamous claim after the Watergate scandal that “when the president does it, that means that it’s not illegal”

Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas, tweeted: “Nope. That would be the literal definition of a totalitarian government – which our traditions, our constitution, and our values all rightly and decisively reject.”

There was also dissent among Trump allies in Congress, many of whom spent years accusing Barack Obama of executive overreach, including the Florida senator Marco Rubio.

As TV networks and news websites continued to debate whether Trump’s briefings – which Cuomo called “a comedy show” – should be broadcast live at all, some observers reached for colorful language to describe the president’s misleading claims, attacks on journalists and showing of a propaganda film largely culled from Fox News.

In a column for the Daily Beast, the former Republican consultant turned anti-Trump author and organizer Rick Wilson called the briefing “a manic, gibbering, squint-eyed ragefest by America’s Worst President, a petty display by a failed man who long ago passed the limits of his competence and knowledge”.

Trump did not clear muddied waters later on Tuesday, when he tweeted, obscurely: “Tell the Democrat governors that ‘Mutiny On The Bounty’ was one of my all-time favorite movies. A good old-fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the captain. Too easy!”

Speaking to reporters in Albany, Cuomo insisted he did not want to get into a fight with the president – to play Fletcher Christian to his Captain Bligh, perhaps – even though Trump was, he said, “wrong on the law”.

But Cuomo chose to follow the president into the alleyways of 18th-century history.

The governor showed a PowerPoint slide in which Alexander Hamilton discoursed on the “inherent advantages” of state governments, which in the founder’s view in 1788 “give them an influence and ascendancy over the national government”.

Cuomo stressed “ascendancy”. It was, he said with something of a Trumpian flourish, “a beautiful word”.

The White House scheduled its next briefing for 5pm.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eopen-us-cuomo
    Actually this article for me goes to prove that Cuomo is directly responsible for NY state, for all the fault that Trump has Cuomo has powers but he let NY burn in Feb and March, he was waiting for Trump instructions instead of using his powers and his mind, sounds to me like Uddhav Thackeray where he was letting local train run till 20th of March with so many cases.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep Srivastava View Post
    Actually this article for me goes to prove that Cuomo is directly responsible for NY state, for all the fault that Trump has Cuomo has powers but he let NY burn in Feb and March, he was waiting for Trump instructions instead of using his powers and his mind, sounds to me like Uddhav Thackeray where he was letting local train run till 20th of March with so many cases.
    Its a master stroke from Trump; he will convince his voters that it was the governors fault that there was a delay. And also that he was ready to re-open the economy so there is little financial loss but the governors stopped him to do so.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Its a master stroke from Trump; he will convince his voters that it was the governors fault that there was a delay. And also that he was ready to re-open the economy so there is little financial loss but the governors stopped him to do so.
    For me it was Trump fault that he didn't took virus seriously but why are state government or governors are selected if they can't understand basic health thing.
    In country like USA, Pak and India state government CM or governors has to be more vigilant as central government can't look all over countries.
    Citizens returning from China was celebrating Chinese new year's and was organizing support Wuhan rally and NY mayor was supporting them. Everything was open even when case started pouring in.
    Shouldn't governor of NY state have take situation more seriously ?
    Look at Pakistani Punjab administration and Indian Punjab administration, Pak Punjab may have more cases but he reacted more swiftly and he is doing good while Indian Punjab CM was hiding head in the sand and is relying on centre to do everything
    Last edited by Navdeep Srivastava; 14th April 2020 at 23:46.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it was Trump fault that he didn't took virus seriously but why are state government or governors are selected if they can't understand basic health thing.
    In country like USA, Pak and India state government CM or governors has to be more vigilant as central government can't look all over countries.
    Citizens returning from China was celebrating Chinese new year's and was organizing support Wuhan rally and NY mayor was supporting them. Everything was open even when case started pouring in.
    Shouldn't governor of NY state have take situation more seriously ?
    Look at Pakistani Punjab administration and Indian Punjab administration, Pak Punjab may have more cases but he reacted more swiftly and he is doing good while Indian Punjab CM was hiding head in the sand and is relying on centre to do everything
    That’s because a lot of agencies that will help you in this crises are federal agencies (fema/ cdc, etc) and they fall under the federal government.

But I don’t deny that Cuomo’s effforts are being overblown here. He has done well in a bad situation but I think any efficient governor would have achieved similar results.

Where he is standing out though is his laser focus attention, unlike Trump who uses any such opportunity to turn them into campaign rallies.. little substance more “Dems bad” “we did great” blah blah..

Cuomo is a refreshing break from that.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Stewie friend I am not talking about big decision but NY didnt even gone for soft lockdown before it was hit very bad, for example take UP case, a underdeveloped state decided to close malls, all gatherings, closed school before NY and at that time New York was hit very bad, half of Lucknow was locked down after 17th March, with no public transportation.
    Are you telling that Governors in USA don't even have powers to close mall, school or shutdown a city? The thing is if NY has gone for soft lockdown from 1st week of March to hard lockdown from 2nd week, they might have saved many lives, they didn't even shutdown construction business till 27 march (I read somewhere) , I heard they only banned gathering over 500, public transport was running daily in March. You don't need centre authority for these type.
    Trump and Cuomo both are bad, just because one manage to appear great in front of media doesn't make him great.
    Last edited by Navdeep Srivastava; 15th April 2020 at 02:29.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's good in this crisis, but at the end of the day he's your typical corporate establishment politician, not that different from Biden or Hillary. A lot more charismatic though.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If this guy was to run against Trump right now he would take him to the cleaners. It's hard to find a Democrat with strong character and so much charisma, not to mention the no ** attitude.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Stewie friend I am not talking about big decision but NY didnt even gone for soft lockdown before it was hit very bad, for example take UP case, a underdeveloped state decided to close malls, all gatherings, closed school before NY and at that time New York was hit very bad, half of Lucknow was locked down after 17th March, with no public transportation.
    Are you telling that Governors in USA don't even have powers to close mall, school or shutdown a city? The thing is if NY has gone for soft lockdown from 1st week of March to hard lockdown from 2nd week, they might have saved many lives, they didn't even shutdown construction business till 27 march (I read somewhere) , I heard they only banned gathering over 500, public transport was running daily in March. You don't need centre authority for these type.
    Trump and Cuomo both are bad, just because one manage to appear great in front of media doesn't make him great.
    i see what you are saying and yes, if given the chance, they would do things differently, wouldnt they.

but here is what most non americans dont understand about americans. the idea of civil liberties and small government are very very strong and ingrained in the american psyche. that and of course the idea of lockdown adversely affecting the economy had a big part to play. US unlike other civilised states is 100% capitalist and very very few welfare benefits afforded to its citizens. if you dont go out and work, you are in trouble.
    the US economy is a consumer and spending economy.

so yes in the rearview mirror, it looks quite clear what should be done and how it should have been handled but you cannot fault either of them for their actions (or lack thereof)

that being said, yes it does matter what appears in front of media. how you carry yourself and speak and your words matter a lot. body and language positivity matters. cuomo focuses on what needsto be done. trump focuses on a lot of negative aspects. everything is a campaign rally for him. he gets defensive quite a lot and flat out denies making certain statements that are on record.

its all about perception. thats how politics works. Trumps perception works with certain people but not the educated masses.

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    NY governor to 'tell the truth' in Trump meeting

Andrew Cuomo, New York state governor, said he planned to "tell the truth" in his Tuesday meeting with US President Donald Trump about the coronavirus crisis and would ask for the federal government for help in ramping up testing.

Cuomo also stressed during a daily briefing that he planned to take a regional approach to reopening businesses and schools in his state, the US epicentre of the pandemic.

"We will make reopening decisions in New York State on a regional basis. We recognize not all regions are impacted with COVID-19 in the same way," Cuomo wrote on Twitter.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Now taking on the Republicans!

==

Cuomo to McConnell: ‘I dare you’ to let states to go bankrupt

During his daily press briefing on the state’s coronavirus response, New York governor Andrew Cuomo dared Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to pass legislation that would allow states to go bankrupt amid the outbreak.

“Pass the law. I dare you,” the governor said. “You want to send a signal to the markets that this nation is in real trouble? I dare you to do that”.

Cuomo then expanded on earlier comments on how the state of New York contributes more to federal budgets than McConnell’s home state of Kentucky:

“New York has bailed you out every year, every year. Mitch McConnell is a taker, not a giver. New Yorker is a state of givers.”

The dare then extended to Donald Trump:

“OK, senator, pass the bill that authorizes states to declare bankruptcy. Sign the bill Mr. President. Good, pass the bill, and let’s watch how the stock market takes off. I got great news about our economic resilience.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, has said he wishes he had “blown the bugle” about Covid-19 earlier. According to figures from Johns Hopkins University, New York state has confirmed more than 290,000 coronavirus cases and approaching 23,000 deaths. Countries such as France, Italy and Spain have recorded more deaths but not by much, and New York City alone has the fifth-highest death total in the world, with the UK in fourth.

Speaking to Axios on HBO, Cuomo discussed US reactions to the first news of the outbreak, from China in December.

“When we heard in December that China had a virus problem,” he said, “and China said basically, ‘It was under control, don’t worry,’ we should’ve worried.

“I wish someone stood up and blew the bugle. And if no one was going to blow the bugle, I would feel much better if I was a bugle blower last December and January … I would feel better sitting here today saying, ‘I blew the bugle about Wuhan province in January.’ I can’t say that.”