User Tag List

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is the Joe Rogan podcast so popular?

No, Iím not some grumpy old man.

Iím in his 18-34 demographic but I just donít get the appeal of his podcast.

Sure he brings interesting guests from a wide spectrum of fields but I canít bear listen to the guy even when Iím interested in the guest. Plus, thereís a few guys like Tim Ferris, Patrick Bet-David, or Jordan Belfort that I actually enjoy listening to.

Can someone please explain his appeal and why they might find him engaging to listen to (if they do)?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause he is AWESOME!!! funny and it's a conversation not a interview which I love and most guest are amazing Diaz is funny as hell

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's the stoners podcast. I usually tune in every once in a while if the guest or topic is interesting, he does ask good questions which makes his podcasts enagaging. However he is a trump supporter because he is a big time conspiracy theory wacko

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    Cause he is AWESOME!!! funny and it's a conversation not a interview which I love and most guest are amazing Diaz is funny as hell
    Diaz is one crazy guy but heís more entertaining than Joe to me at least.

His rant on Alex Jonesí show a while back where he stormed off never fails to make me laugh.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a chill guy, he has regular conversations the way most of us have with our boys, so it's relatable.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason I like it is that you can have nuanced and very detailed discussions. You go to the mainstream media and they are just scratching the surface and no one has time to go into the details of issues.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    625 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    One reason I like it is that you can have nuanced and very detailed discussions. You go to the mainstream media and they are just scratching the surface and no one has time to go into the details of issues.
    This. There is some depth in his discussions. Also, his relaxed, chilled demeanour makes it easier to watch.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a child like curiosity, he asks questions like he is 7 year old guy - he jokes and he does not take life that seriously. I am hooked to his youtube channel (better than watching a mindnumbing movie on Netflix) and I really enjoyed one of his episodes with Edward Snowden.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's Oprah for Men

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    No, Iím not some grumpy old man.

Iím in his 18-34 demographic but I just donít get the appeal of his podcast.

Sure he brings interesting guests from a wide spectrum of fields but I canít bear listen to the guy even when Iím interested in the guest. Plus, thereís a few guys like Tim Ferris, Patrick Bet-David, or Jordan Belfort that I actually enjoy listening to.

Can someone please explain his appeal and why they might find him engaging to listen to (if they do)?
    Because heís laidback and not politically correct. Heís also fairly unbiased which helps attract different segments of society.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is any podcast popular? Either the host is interesting, the guests are interesting or both.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the host is all rage for drugs, weed, DMT and conspiracy theories and then has interesting guests and even makes the likes of Elon Musk smoke weed on his show live, who does that? famous presenters cant even get elon on there show and this guy has him smoke a joint on his.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Why is any podcast popular? Either the host is interesting, the guests are interesting or both.
    Can you recommend some good podcasts on technology , science and sports (cricket preferably)

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    Can you recommend some good podcasts on technology , science and sports (cricket preferably)
    Sorry can't help you with science and technology because I'm not into it at all.

But with cricket I would say check out the Stump Mic Podcast. It's pretty good and centered around sub-continental cricket. Other than that the Wisden Cricket Weekly is good. As is Broad & Fry; centered more around English cricket with Stuart Broad and comedian Stephen Fry as the hosts. Pace Is Pace Yaar used to be hands-down the best cricket podcast but sadly it has ended now.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His rant on Alex Jonesí show a while back where he stormed off never fails to make me laugh.
    Than see Diaz's podcast the name is Joey diaz on youtube or church of what's happening everywhere else

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even jones freaked out imagine freaking jones out you have to be crazy 🤣😂🤣

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Breakfast club with Charlemagne is another podcast I enjoy.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    The Breakfast club with Charlemagne is another podcast I enjoy.
    Always listen to tham on radio didn't know they were big outside of tristate area

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always listen to tham on radio didn't know they were big outside of tristate area
    They're huge on youtube now

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why Joe Rogan's exclusive Spotify deal matters

Joe Rogan has signed an exclusive deal with Spotify, which will see his podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, disappear from all other platforms.

The multi-year deal is believed to be worth $100m (£82 million), according to the Wall Street Journal.

Rogan's podcast, which is one of the most popular in the world, will arrive on the streaming giant on 1 September.

It will then be housed there exclusively by the end of the year, and removed from all other platforms.

"It will remain free, and it will be the exact same show," said Rogan. "It's just a licensing deal, so Spotify won't have any creative control over the show.

"They want me to just continue doing it the way I'm doing it right now.

"I'm excited to have the support of the largest audio platform in the world and I hope you folks are there when we make the switch!"

Who is Joe Rogan?

Joe Rogan is a US stand-up comedian and TV host-turned-provocateur, who launched his podcast in 2009 - in the early days of the medium.

He invites a wide range of guests, including actors, musicians, comedians, politicians and conspiracy theorists on to the show, which has garnered a huge audience. Last year the podcast was downloaded 190 million times per month.

Rogan has previously advocated for "long-form media" - and his own podcast episodes regularly run to two or three hours.

The controversial entertainer also has 8.42 million subscribers to his YouTube channel, which has up until now shown the interviews in video form (this will stop when the new Spotify deal kicks in).

But he has also attracted criticism - Rogan has been accused of making sexist, racist and transphobic comments in his podcasts.

"The Joe Rogan Experience has become one of the internet's foremost vectors for anti-wokeness," wrote Justin Peters in Slate.

In 2018, Rogan's show hit the headlines when the host shared a cannabis joint with Tesla boss Elon Musk, after which the company's stocks fell by 9%.

Rogan has been credited as being an "unlikely political influencer" by the New York Times, due to his reach.

In January, he informed his legions of followers that he would "probably vote for Bernie", referring to the then Democratic Party candidate Bernie Sanders, who received increased press coverage as a result.

However, since Joe Biden became the party's presumptive nominee, Rogan has said he is more likely to vote for President Trump.

Why is this deal significant?

The kind of figures involved in the deal are incredibly rare in the podcast world - and Rogan will now likely earn more money than most musicians on Spotify.

"Joe Rogan just got paid the equivalent value of over 26 billion streams for a podcast licence," wrote Tom Gray, director of the royalties, music copyright and licensing society, PRS for Music.

"A musician would need to generate 23 billion streams on Spotify to earn what they're paying Joe Rogan for his podcast rights." added music writer Ted Gioia.

Gioia suggested this means "Spotify values Rogan more than any musician in the history of the world".

TV critic and broadcaster Scott Bryan predicted the deal could "lead the way to others", but noted that the exclusivity clause would leave many fans locked out.

"It might do what Sky did for a lot of shows," he tweeted. "Lift them up, but put them behind a wall that the culture mostly then ignores."

Although Rogan has said the podcast will still be free to access, Spotify will be hoping the increased traffic to its service will lead to a significant increase in subscriber numbers.

It is generally difficult to make large amounts of money in the crowded world of podcasts.

As most podcasts are free to download, many presenters and producers attempt to make money from endorsements and advertising. A platform-exclusive deal such as this is very rare.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52736364

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Makes sense from a business standpoint. Rogan will attract millions more listeners to spotify than any individual artist can

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Makes sense from a business standpoint. Rogan will attract millions more listeners to spotify than any individual artist can
    JRE is killing it everywhere so I think it'll help Spotify more than him and if it's not on YouTube than he can kiss his podcast goodbye but I don't think Spotify can sustain JRE even though I love his work but he does create controversies so I don't know how much pressure can they handle

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently he was making $100,000+ per show on YT and YT started changing algo's and his numbers started falling.

He ended up getting alot of money from Spotify, but just by announcing the news, spotify added $5BILLION to its markets cap in 48 hours. not a bad move by them.

I wonder if Joe went to YT before accepting the deal and said 'this is what ive been offered do you want to counter it?'

YT will lose out but in the end the content creators will win and i can see these platforms handing more money out to them.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    Apparently he was making $100,000+ per show on YT and YT started changing algo's and his numbers started falling.

He ended up getting alot of money from Spotify, but just by announcing the news, spotify added $5BILLION to its markets cap in 48 hours. not a bad move by them.

I wonder if Joe went to YT before accepting the deal and said 'this is what ive been offered do you want to counter it?'

YT will lose out but in the end the content creators will win and i can see these platforms handing more money out to them.
    Have a feeling this would end up like UK cricket shift from BBC to SKY, bad in the long run

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to this deal my Spotify stock went up 70%

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    JRE is killing it everywhere so I think it'll help Spotify more than him and if it's not on YouTube than he can kiss his podcast goodbye but I don't think Spotify can sustain JRE even though I love his work but he does create controversies so I don't know how much pressure can they handle
    Pressure wonít be on spotify. Just like if someone chooses to make racist comments on facebook, pressure wonít be on facebook. Spotify has made a very good business decision by opening the platform up to podcasts

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling this would end up like UK cricket shift from BBC to SKY, bad in the long run
    It will be a good shift in the end, with power going from the conglomerates to the users.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a good shift in the end, with power going from the conglomerates to the users.
    Like most of his users I came across him on YouTube cause of suggestion I don't know who has a larger base YouTube or Spotify

I believe it's YouTube he won't gain as many new listeners as he previously will

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotify got $5 billion in 24 hours while Joe Rohan got $100 million + potential licensing fees.

Great deal for both sides.

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand his popularity...he has the image of a regular Joe but discusses supposedly high brow topics so lots of people who dont want actual academic discussions but want to be seen as having them, can use the podcast.

On an intellectual sense his shows are basic and often islamophobic. On the odd occasion he invited muslims with a brain cell he was lost as to what to discuss.

Pandering to a specific audience is all.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Heís popularity is based on him platforming some disgusting right wing bigots.

Unashamedly letís anti-Muslim bigotry to go unchallenged. In fact he generally agrees with it.

Hopefully, his influence will recede now that he is off YouTube.

I think a lot of credit must go to his producers. They know how to clip and title his videos in order to maximise views.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    Heís popularity is based on him platforming some disgusting right wing bigots.

Unashamedly letís anti-Muslim bigotry to go unchallenged. In fact he generally agrees with it.

I think a lot of credit must go to his producers. They know how to clip and title his videos in order to maximise views.

His most popular video on the platform is with the most pro-Muslim and hardest-left politician in America.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His most popular video on the platform is with the most pro-Muslim and hardest-left politician in America.
    People don't see his stuff that much just a bunch of clips that's all and judge him off that

Yes he let people TALK even crazy talk and that's good we wanna know other people

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    15 years in to the game.

Itís the body of his work, not an isolated episode, which one should make a judgement on.

The popularity of the Bernie episodes had nothing to do with Muslims and more to do with the political climate in the run up to the primaries.

And of course, Rogan is allowed to shield himself from accusations of bigotry by saying ďI canít be, I had Bernie onĒ.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s popularity is based on him platforming some disgusting right wing bigots.

Unashamedly let’s anti-Muslim bigotry to go unchallenged. In fact he generally agrees with it.

He lets all views be known without taking sides, nothing wrong with that.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    They used to say everybody had a book in them. Then it changed to everybody had a blog in them. Now, everybody has a podcast in them. And that's just where the book-blog-pod should stay in 99.9% of cases.

But there are handful of people who have taken to podcasting like Luke Skywalker to a lightsaber and become masters of cyberspace broadcasting.

Elizabeth Day has gone from journalist to novelist to prominent media figure with her How To Fail podcast. George The Poet has cut through with his meditative musings, while the footballer Peter Crouch has turned into a surprise comedy star with his laddish tales from the locker-room.

In America - where the art of podcasting was honed with shows like Serial, This American Life and Radiolab - the medium has long had a seat at the top table of the entertainment business.

As was made evident this week with the announcement that the Swedish streaming service Spotify had paid a huge sum of money - the Wall Street Journal reported the deal could be worth around $100 million (£82 million) - for exclusive rights to a Californian-based podcast called The Joe Rogan Experience.

Joe Rogan is a famous personality in the US.

He first made his name as a stand-up comic, then turned to acting, before hosting a TV show featuring wince-inducing dares, and between all this established himself as a respected mixed martial arts UFC commentator.

He started his eponymous podcast in 2009 as a "mates chatting" sort of thing, which it basically still is, although some of his mates are now Senators and Harvard professors. Anyway, it works: the show is said to have over 190 million monthly downloads, which is a lot of listeners by any measure (it is also available for free on YouTube, for now).

I visited his website to hear what all the fuss was about, and chose episode #1470 from a couple of weeks ago, in which Rogan chats to Elon Musk, the tech entrepreneur and Tesla car boss.

He'd had Musk on the show before, offered him a puff on his joint (cannabis is legal in the state where the show is made), which Elon duly accepted, leading to headlines and a sharp drop in Tesla's share price.

The episode I listened to didn't have any such incidents.

The two men began by chewing the fat about Musk's newly born baby, to whom the businessman and his partner had given a name that sounded like a line of code written by one of his company's boffs. Rogan was amused and enthusiastic as the conversation gently meandered towards the topic of connecting computers to our brains, a concept that appeared to enthral and appal the host in equal measure.

Not so the quietly-spoken Musk, who considered the prospect of a "whole brain interface" where "more of you would be in the cloud than in your body", to be viable within decades.

Don't worry if that seems like too long to wait, because he also thought if all went to plan, that in five years we won't have to talk anymore because we'll be able to communicate our unfettered thoughts through neural links.

These were not small things to posit given the obvious ramifications, particularly for The Joe Rogan Experience: no talking, no podcast. But our host didn't seem concerned or particularly interested in interrogating the breezy claims his guest made with a matter-of-factness that equated to someone putting a live grenade in your hand and mentioning, by-the-by, it could be quite dangerous.

That's not to say Rogan was disengaged.

It's just that his natural curiosity tended to stop at wow without getting to why.

Which is fine, that's the nature of the show: guests are allowed to talk as much and as long as they like, often for hours, with Rogan the interlocutor playing the role of everyman: a part he has nailed better than almost anyone else in the world of podcasts, if one was judging by numbers alone (downloads, YouTube views, Instagram followers etc.).

He is, as they say nowadays, relatable.

His listeners get him, like him; maybe even want to be him. He's not a show-pony, or a light-entertainment phoney: he's the all-American do it yourself modern man, tough but intelligent.

Joe Rogan is the Bruce Springsteen of chat.

The Boss has taken his brand global, whether Rogan can repeat the feat in the talk-show genre will be interesting to see. The two men have much in common. They share the same muscular male aesthetic, with a love of T-shirts and no **. They're both come from New Jersey. They both had troubled relationships with their fathers - Springsteen's dad was a bus driver, Rogan's a cop. And they both found fame as the front man on stage.

Given the size of its investment, Spotify must be hoping Rogan can compete with Springsteen in terms of reach and appeal. I'm not so sure he can having listened to his show. Songs can be reinterpreted, meaning can morph and be personalised - less so with chat, which tends to be specific to the host and his or her culture.

I quite enjoyed listening to his conversation with Musk, but I wouldn't download another show in a rush for entertainment's sake. It wasn't just because the entrepreneur could say almost anything without being challenged - there's a section about Covid-19 when I found my eyebrows rise while Joe's and Elon's were furrowed in agreement (I believe in previous episodes Rogan has been more sceptical).

The main problem is my cultural reference points are different, I don't relate to Joe Rogan. I'm not interested in mixed martial arts or conspiracy theories or smoking weed or drinking hard liquor or camping or "dumb things". I don't care if a Tesla car can accelerate to 60 mph in under two seconds or want to hear what Elon Musk has to say to "all the fools out there" - another throwaway remark that went unchallenged.

Nevertheless, the host clearly reflects the views and tastes of a vast number of American people, and has developed a format with which they can connect and hear his thoughts and those of his guests (male-skewed, judging by the recent roster).

And that's why I will continue to download his show: Not to be amused but to be informed. Listen to The Joe Rogan Experience and you hear America.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52748804

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not heard of him.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He’s popularity is based on him platforming some disgusting right wing bigots.

Unashamedly let’s anti-Muslim bigotry to go unchallenged. In fact he generally agrees with it.

Pretty much

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He lets all views be known without taking sides, nothing wrong with that.
    It's not just "not taking sides", an interviewer should be playing devil's advocate and challenging the things that are being said, whatever that may be, especially in political interviews. That's how an interviewer doesn't take sides. Instead, Rogan doesn't challenge anything being said, no matter how outlandish, and just sits there in agreement.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)