Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"I wouldn't have struggled to bowl to Virat Kohli" : Waqar Younis

Question is based upon Waqar's own remarks today in a presser:

"To say that there was no player like Virat Kohli in my era would be wrong; In my era we had players like Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar - I have bowled to Viv Richards, Martin Crowe; There were some great players in my era, in my time; I survived in such an era and made a name for myself"

"I would question a statement which says that I would have struggled to bowl or tried to avoid bowling to a player like Virat Kohli when I was young, or I would have been hit about [by a player like Kohli]; This is because I had skills to get those type of players out; And even if I was bowling today, I would know how to get which player out in what way"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Waqars peak virat would struggle. While virat is an amazing player the fact is he hasn't really faced many if any atg bowlers as compared to viv or lara who had to play some of the greatest bowlers of all time.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar at his peak was one of the finest bowlers and would trouble any batsmen in the world.

However, Virat as good a player he himself is, knows how to redeem himself and would have still been a great player for his team and one of the best in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    1989 to 1994/95 - Waqar would dominate

otherwise Kohli would come on top

#MPGA

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Dream contest.

Oh man I wish this would have happened.

Peak Waqar was incredible.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is all hog wash, Waqar does not have many elite world class players on his resume during his peak from 1989-1994, his stats are padded with wickets against ordinary teams of the time like England, NZ, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one bowler who could have annihilated kohli is mohammad asif

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason an ATG bowler (and I mean a real one, not the Anderson types) most often is a bigger asset to have in your side then an ATG batsman , is because remember one thing - the batsman only has to make one mistake and itís over against any good bowler , but against an ATG bowler like Waqar at peak he doesnít even have to make that one mistake and it can still be over.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What about ?

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    This is all hog wash, Waqar does not have many elite world class players on his resume during his peak from 1989-1994, his stats are padded with wickets against ordinary teams of the time like England, NZ, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka
    What's with your constant Waqar critism?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    What's with your constant Waqar critism?
    Its the truth, facts. He got dominated by the top world class players during his career, the batsmen from NZ, Sri Lanka, England, Zimbabwe at the time had ordinary records and Waqar struggled vs Australia in 1989/90 in comparison to Wasim

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its the truth, facts. He got dominated by the top world class players during his career, the batsmen from NZ, Sri Lanka, England, Zimbabwe at the time had ordinary records and Waqar struggled vs Australia in 1989/90 in comparison to Wasim
    Think he did very well against the WI of that period The best test team in the world

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    He struggled against Jadeja the fore on odd days many others could have worked him, but at peak WY was a true champion fast bowler before injury ruined him.

I think, in such contest, the bowler will always win - a batsman has only be chance, but bowlers can make a come back in same game, innings, spell or even over.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Think he did very well against the WI of that period The best test team in the world
    A far shadow of the team in the 70's and early 80's. Viv Richards did not play in that series, Grenidge and Haynes were at the end of their careers. Lara violently smacked him around during that period. Tendulkar also smacked him around as well.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli would have taken him apart like Tendulkar did.

I think Wasim would have troubled Kohli.

Aaqib Javed was always the worst Pakistani bowler to face though.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli would have played waqar well.

Kohli's issues are with left hand bowlers who can bring the ball in and line and length bowlers who can move the ball away from outside off stump.

In theory, Wasim would trouble Kohli. Asif would trouble him too. However, waqar would be the least to trouble Kohli.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waqar bhai, what was your test record against India?

Also, how did you fare against India in the 1996 WC QF and 2003 WC group stage contest?

The truth of the matter is even ordinary Indian batsmen dominated Waqar.

Kohli would have destroyed him with ease.

Waqar has always been a loose cannon and once again proves he's more talk than action.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Waqar bhai, what was your test record against India?

Also, how did you fare against India in the 1996 WC QF and 2003 WC group stage contest?

The truth of the matter is even ordinary Indian batsmen dominated Waqar.

Kohli would have destroyed him with ease.

Waqar has always been a loose cannon and once again proves he's more talk than action.
    He only played 4 Tests against India, hardly a huge number to get a true assessment from.

Ah yes judge the man's career on 2 matches.
    Last edited by Saj; 7th April 2020 at 01:49.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah man, Waqar at peak was something else. Those inswinging yorkers were lethal, a thing of beauty for many Pak fans at the time and a nightmare for all others.

He used to obliterate teams including his time on the county circuit. It would be like going to watch ten-pin bowling.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Nah man, Waqar at peak was something else. Those inswinging yorkers were lethal, a thing of beauty for many Pak fans at the time and a nightmare for all others.

He used to obliterate teams including his time on the county circuit. It would be like going to watch ten-pin bowling.
    Again more emotional hogwash. He doesn't have enough elite names on his record during that time. You can of course get excited watching him run through bums and bunnies and ordinary players.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He only played 4 Tests against India, hardly a huge number to get a true assessment from.

Even in his prime in ODI's, he was hardly running through the Indian players at the time. Every Tendulkar video I have seen from 1989-1994 has Tendulkar hitting him around.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Mohammed Asif would have troubled him the most.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar used to leak a lot of runs in ODI cricket during his era. His ER is very high for his era.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Even in his prime in ODI's, he was hardly running through the Indian players at the time. Every Tendulkar video I have seen from 1989-1994 has Tendulkar hitting him around.
    There's more than just India in cricket.

373 Test wickets at an average of 23.56 and a strike-rate of 43.40.

No need to write any more numbers.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not just against India. The problem with Waqar is he's always crumbled when the stakes are high - another game that epitomises this is that 2003 WC game against Australia, where he truly bottled it, after having the Aussies precariously placed at 86/4. To reinforce my point, look at his test record in Australia as well.

Failures in 3 x big WC matches and his abysmal showing in red ball cricket played in Australia and India proves he wasn't made for the big stage.

I still rate him as an ATG, but he merely scrapes the lowest tier of all the ATG bowlers in the history of the game.

Wasim Akram would have got the better of Kohli unlike Waqar Younis in my opinion.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians and posters like @Savak who are judging the player based on the administrator/coach need to put aside their biases.

Waqar vs Kohli would have been 50-50.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    It's not just against India. The problem with Waqar is he's always crumbled when the stakes are high - another game that epitomises this is that 2003 WC game against Australia, where he truly bottled it, after having the Aussies precariously placed at 86/4. To reinforce my point, look at his test record in Australia as well.

Failures in 3 x big WC matches and his abysmal showing in red ball cricket played in Australia and India proves he wasn't made for the big stage.

I still rate him as an ATG, but he merely scrapes the lowest tier of all the ATG bowlers in the history of the game.

Wasim Akram would have got the better of Kohli unlike Waqar Younis in my opinion.
    Nothing bigger than Test matches. The toughest form of the game. I look at his Test record, the rest doesn't matter to most.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There's more than just India in cricket.

373 Test wickets at an average of 23.56 and a strike-rate of 43.40.

No need to write any more numbers.
    In boxing that record would be examined for quality opponents. Mike Tyson retired 50-6 with 44 knockouts but what's the point if you don't have all time greats on your resume. Truth be told Waqar for the most part feasted on a lot of weak sides i.e. England, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and a much weaker West Indies team and poor batsmen and tail enders in his prime. His record against the stronger teams at the time i.e. Australia was weak. Overall numbers might look good for him but he bottled it every time the stakes were high on the big stage.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Indians and posters like @Savak who are judging the player based on the administrator/coach need to put aside their biases.

Waqar vs Kohli would have been 50-50.

Not really how many elite players who were unquestioned all time greats did Waqar consistently dominate in his prime? If he couldn't do it in his prime, doing it against Kohli is wishful thinking.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No ATG bowler will struggle during his peak and Waqar was an ATG bowler.

Now he is overrated in ODI format, becacsue he was one of the most expensive bowler in ODI and used to get hit often. During those era his ER was 4.7 when some other top bowlers had ER of below 4. At same time, he would clean up tails quickly with his yorker, but tails were not that great during those days.

He was a champion bowler in the test format. I don't see a situation where he would have struggled during his peak period of 1989-1994. Getting hit sometime by SRT or Lara or not doing well in some venues during that time hardly proves that he would have struggled against Kohli.

Most ATG players can hold their own in any era. In fact, a bowler during peak has more chance to make a come back and I don't see any ATG bowler during peak struggling. Not being too sucessfull is different than struggling.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again more emotional hogwash. He doesn't have enough elite names on his record during that time. You can of course get excited watching him run through bums and bunnies and ordinary players.
    Not really, he was the no.1 ranked Test bowler. The bulk of wickets are so called bums and bunnies for elite bowlers. Anyway the premise of the thread was would he in his prime trouble Kohli?

I would say a definite yes but of course anyone saying to the contrary are right to have that opinion. And Kohli is a great player but he's no immortal.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not really, he was the no.1 ranked Test bowler. The bulk of wickets are so called bums and bunnies for elite bowlers. Anyway the premise of the thread was would he in his prime trouble Kohli?

I would say a definite yes but of course anyone saying to the contrary are right to have that opinion. And Kohli is a great player but he's no immortal.
    Being the number 1 ranked bowler in a weak batting era is not as great as Dale Steyn being ranked number 1 in a batting paradise era. When he couldn't consistently trouble Tendulkar and Lara, how will he trouble Kohli? Besides Kohli plays reverse swing well and his go to shot is the flick towards mid wicket and square leg, he had the perfect antidote to Waqar's inswinging delivery

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar at his peak was at another level.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being the number 1 ranked bowler in a weak batting era is not as great as Dale Steyn being ranked number 1 in a batting paradise era. When he couldn't consistently trouble Tendulkar and Lara, how will he trouble Kohli? Besides Kohli plays reverse swing well and his go to shot is the flick towards mid wicket and square leg, he had the perfect antidote to Waqar's inswinging delivery
    Just like Amir troubled Kohli, I'm sure Waqar could also who was a better bowler.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Just like Amir troubled Kohli, I'm sure Waqar could also who was a better bowler.
    Don't see how has Amir troubled Kohli barring a few deliveries, Kohli has won most of his battles vs Amir and the only times Amir has dismissed Kohli was off a leading edge and at the death when Kohli scored 70 plus. Kohli has adapted to every bowler in the modern era and no reason he would not figure out Waqar's one dimensional stingy in swingers. Lets not forget how brutally a young Kohli demolished Malinga (Who has a Waqarisque action and approach) in his prime in 2012 in Australia with 6 consecutive boundaries in an over.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't see how has Amir troubled Kohli barring a few deliveries, Kohli has won most of his battles vs Amir and the only times Amir has dismissed Kohli was off a leading edge and at the death when Kohli scored 70 plus. Kohli has adapted to every bowler in the modern era and no reason he would not figure out Waqar's one dimensional stingy in swingers. Lets not forget how brutally a young Kohli demolished Malinga (Who has a Waqarisque action and approach) in his prime in 2012 in Australia with 6 consecutive boundaries in an over.
    Every great player has had their magical moments and their ups and downs. That was magical from Kohli but I can still envision a full throttle Waqar rattling the stumps of Kohli and sending him packing.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You don't have to be as good as Steyn to hold your own against good batsmen.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5KODVPu0CA

W Younis to Brian C Lara

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really how many elite players who were unquestioned all time greats did Waqar consistently dominate in his prime? If he couldn't do it in his prime, doing it against Kohli is wishful thinking.
    How many did Wasim DOMINATE one-on-one?

Thatís a pretty poor argument since there are only a handful of bunnies in cricket.

The only reason Waqar gets slack is because he was surrounded by Wasim, the best left-armer of all time.

And Kohli has gotten perplexed by Junaid Khan, Graeme Swann, and Ravi Rampaul (approaching his prime), Anderson and Southee (in his prime), and even Zampa.

So get that **** out of here with Waqar couldnít hang with the likes of VK.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In boxing that record would be examined for quality opponents. Mike Tyson retired 50-6 with 44 knockouts but what's the point if you don't have all time greats on your resume. Truth be told Waqar for the most part feasted on a lot of weak sides i.e. England, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and a much weaker West Indies team and poor batsmen and tail enders in his prime. His record against the stronger teams at the time i.e. Australia was weak. Overall numbers might look good for him but he bottled it every time the stakes were high on the big stage.
    Name:  Comparison.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  23.2 KB

So let me get this straight..... they played the above matches against the same opponents, but if Waqar has better stats in all aspects, by your theory are you suggesting that wasim would take out the good opponents, but struggled against the weak? hahahaha bro you are an absolute tool... i bet you were still in your nappies when the likes of wasim and waqar were ruling the cricketing world.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

That’s a pretty poor argument since there are only a handful of bunnies in cricket.

The only reason Waqar gets slack is because he was surrounded by Wasim, the best left-armer of all time.

And Kohli has gotten perplexed by Junaid Khan, Graeme Swann, and Ravi Rampaul (approaching his prime), Anderson and Southee (in his prime), and even Zampa.

So get that **** out of here with Waqar couldn’t hang with the likes of VK.
    This thread is about Waqar, not Wasim. Wasim remained consistent throughout his whole career even when he was in his twilight while Waqar was extremely ordinary towards the end. Barring one series, Junaid Khan never bested Kohli again. It is a fact that Waqar for the most part feasted on some poor weak teams and batting line ups in his prime from 1989 to 1996.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is about Waqar, not Wasim. Wasim remained consistent throughout his whole career even when he was in his twilight while Waqar was extremely ordinary towards the end. Barring one series, Junaid Khan never bested Kohli again. It is a fact that Waqar for the most part feasted on some poor weak teams and batting line ups in his prime from 1989 to 1996.
    No, he averages over 30 in only Australia and India in Tests and in Sri Lanka, West Indies, India, and BD in ODIís.

Against the top teams in Tests and ODIís respectively.

AUS: 41 and 29
    SA: 28 and 22

So, only a poor record in Australia in Tests (during which he had three tours; one as a rookie, one after a back operation, and one during his decline).

Let me spell it out for you and all the other bums on this forum, Waqar Younis is an ATG. Heís not as great as Wasim but he definitely is.

And youíre the one who keeps bringing Wasim into the debate to compare him to.
    Last edited by ManFan; 7th April 2020 at 08:45.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Peak Waqar vs Peak Kohli would be a dream battle. Peak Waqar had one of the best inswing yorker in history. Kohli match vs Malinga showed that he can attack yorkers.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Peak Waqar vs Peak Kohli would be a dream battle. Peak Waqar had one of the best inswing yorker in history. Kohli match vs Malinga showed that he can attack yorkers.
    My point exactly. WY fans have a bigger ego than him

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No, he averages over 30 in only Australia and India in Tests and in Sri Lanka, West Indies, India, and BD in ODI’s.

Against the top teams in Tests and ODI’s respectively.

AUS: 41 and 29
    SA: 28 and 22

So, only a poor record in Australia in Tests (during which he had three tours; one as a rookie, one after a back operation, and one during his decline).

Let me spell it out for you and all the other bums on this forum, Waqar Younis is an ATG. He’s not as great as Wasim but he definitely is.

And you’re the one who keeps bringing Wasim into the debate to compare him to.
    This does not prove that he will run over Kohli, he couldn't run over Teenda on a consistent basis let alone Kohli. The number of all time great batsmen on Waqar's resume are weak. Whats the point of having 95% of your stats filled with bums and low averaging batsmen

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different batsman, different weakness.
    Lara should have averaged 60 against India vs that joke bowling lineup?

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not prove that he will run over Kohli, he couldn't run over Teenda on a consistent basis let alone Kohli. The number of all time great batsmen on Waqar's resume are weak. Whats the point of having 95% of your stats filled with bums and low averaging batsmen
    He got jayasuria 13 times and desilva 9 times in ODIs.Fleming 7 times
    Lara 6 times, gangully,kirtsen,gibbs,mark waugh 5 times.
    All avg low agianst him.
    All these players are bums?

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli himself has taken Amir's name saying Amir is one guy he's cautious against.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do i need to link the lara video again!! hahaha

dude why arent you replying to me!!!!!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar would trouble anyone. Has by far the best strike rate in test bar Steyn.
    Last edited by PakPhenom; 7th April 2020 at 11:22.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing bigger than Test matches. The toughest form of the game. I look at his Test record, the rest doesn't matter to most.
    People here judging Waqar after reading up some stats and watching random videos. Watching him live was something else. I'd argue he won Pakistan more matches on his own than almost anyone else.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Waqar played 6 Tests against the GOAT West Indies team between 1990 and 1993.

He took 35 wickets in those 6 Tests at an average of 19.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPhenom View Post
    Waqar would trouble anyone. Has by far the best strike rate in test bar Steyn.
    Apparently, this was due to him only removing bums and bunnies. Not as if Steyn was filling his boots and padding up his stats against a certain batsman that is blessed in all three facets of the game.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s a pretty poor argument since there are only a handful of bunnies in cricket.

Waqar couldn’t hang with the likes of VK.
    and then kohli always figures them out and that's why he is one of the best ever. Any did we can dominate in a one off series. Kohli worked Anderson out perfectly the second time he faced him.

waqar will have some success initially and then he will get figured out just like every other player by kohli.
    Last edited by MenInG; 7th April 2020 at 12:15.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, this was due to him only removing bums and bunnies. Not as if Steyn was filling his boots and padding up his stats against a certain batsman that is blessed in all three facets of the game.
    Apparently if he did remove bums and bunnies at a much faster rate than anyone else in history then that in itself speaks of his greatness.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Amir can trouble Kohli then why couldn't Waqar?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPhenom View Post
    Apparently if he did remove bums and bunnies at a much faster rate than anyone else in history then that in itself speaks of his greatness.
    Yup, that's a skill in itself.

That particular poster seems to have an unhealthy obsession with denigrating Waqar's career, he makes some valid points, but in general overplays his hand by exaggerating like an imbecile.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So Kohli vs Waqar..

now lets see..which rules are we playing by. current ODI rules? with phatta flat pitches and no fielders? So kohli would be able to get away with the some slashes and ungainly swipes when faced with extreme pace. But would then be taken out by a searing inswinging yorker that bends almost twice..or perhaps by waqar having a first slip and a gulley e.g. against amir in the CT2017..Kohli looked in big trouble against Amir when he got his act together..Peak waqar always had his act together..

Moving onto the test arena. peak waqar vs Kohli would have been a brutal contest. Kohli would be facing a test of his abilities that he has never faced in his career and when he has he has succumbed. People who hadnt seen waqar in those days dont know what they are talking about.

Lara sachin viv crowe jones etc etc, these guys were not slouches. Waqar would have found a way to deal with Kohli.

I would go as far as to say if some of the Indian batsmen of that era were playing today they would be seen as great batsmen.

And Sachin is a better bat then Kohli by miles. Sorry thats just the way it is.

Waqar would have destroyed Kohli to the point where the BCCI would have tried to get him banned for something lol..

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    and then kohli always figures them out and that's why he is one of the best ever. Any did we can dominate in a one off series. Kohli worked Anderson out perfectly the second time he faced him.

waqar will have some success initially and then he will get figured out just like every other player by kohli.
    He didnít work him out perfectly. He still got leading edges that luckily did not carry to slip. And full credit to Kohli but the conditions were t
    similar to two years before when PAK toured. The low scores were reflective of just poor strokes and technique with good bowling on both sides.

The reason I brought all those names is because they gave Kohli trouble and by evidence of the recent NZ Test series, are still giving him trouble. He is the best batsman of this generation but not some untouchable demigod that some fans make him out to be.

At the end of the day, he only has to make one mistake for Waqar to get him (or anyone else).

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    And Sachin is a better bat then Kohli by miles. Sorry thats just the way it is.
    Without a doubt.

Tendulkar with modern fitness standards and style of play would have a better record than Kohli.

Actually he still does in tests.

In all fairness, both Waqar and Kohli would have had their moments. They are champions. That's the thing aboit ATGs they will hold their own in any era.

I don't care about all the great records of Kohli but in England when i saw him redeeming himself that's when he earned my respect as a test batsman and a cricketer. From averaging 12 to scoring over 500 runs in England came a long way as a test batsman.

Same for Waqar, 1996 changed him but it didn't break him. He continued to perform for another 7 years.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar is like Malinga of 90s. And Kohli dominated Malinga

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Waqar is like Malinga of 90s. And Kohli dominated Malinga
    How is he malinga of 90s.Malinga is not a shadow of waqar in test cricket.ATG t20 though.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn’t work him out perfectly. He still got leading edges that luckily did not carry to slip. And full credit to Kohli but the conditions were t
    similar to two years before when PAK toured. The low scores were reflective of just poor strokes and technique with good bowling on both sides.

The reason I brought all those names is because they gave Kohli trouble and by evidence of the recent NZ Test series, are still giving him trouble. He is the best batsman of this generation but not some untouchable demigod that some fans make him out to be.

At the end of the day, he only has to make one mistake for Waqar to get him (or anyone else).
    depends on the conditions. In Asia waqar will get thumped.

in bouncy wickets he will get thumped.

his only real chance vs kohli is on those green mamba swinging pitches. Kohli worked Anderson out in those conditons. Anderson tried 5 times in 5 different matches and couldn't do anything vs him. So what if there are dropped catches. How many times did ponting and Hayden screw Asian teams in australia. They were gifted several lives. There is no luck. Hard work greatest luck for you because you earned it.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli in World Cup knockout matches.

2011 QF vs Aus = 24. (Won)
    2011 SF vs Pak = 9. (Won)
    2011 Final vs SL = 35. (Won)

2015 QF vs BD = 3. (Won)
    2015 SF vs Aus = 1. (Lost)

2019 SF vs NZ = 1. (Lost)

Some people say he is overrated because of his lack of runs in big WC games.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sachin is not better than kohli lmao. Maybe you nostalgic people feel that way but that's just not true. He may be more talented but he doesn't have the drive or grit of kohli. Kohli is far tougher mentally. Sachin has failed many times to bail india out. Virat stood above many of his peers in the most difficult conditions.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Kohli in World Cup knockout matches.

2011 QF vs Aus = 24. (Won)
    2011 SF vs Pak = 9. (Won)
    2011 Final vs SL = 35. (Won)

2015 QF vs BD = 3. (Won)
    2015 SF vs Aus = 1. (Lost)

2019 SF vs NZ = 1. (Lost)

Some people say he is overrated because of his lack of runs in big WC games.
    so we define a great player based on his KO performances alone? What about all the runs he piled up to help his country reach number 1 status.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ramiz Raja has more World Cup centuries than Virat Kohli.
    3 100s in 16 CWC games for Rambo compared to 2 100s in 26 CWC games for Virat.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin786 View Post
    Depending on the conditions.

Kohli would smash him for 6x6 on a flat deck also

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like virat kohli the only Indian player I have ever liked but I think he would have definitely find it difficult against waqar who was probably the greatest fast bowler in his peak.He was very fast and so accurate.It would have been a very exciting battle.But virat has admitted that he found Shoaib akhtar scary and it would had been very hard to score against him in his peak.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on the conditions. In Asia waqar will get thumped.

in bouncy wickets he will get thumped.

his only real chance vs kohli is on those green mamba swinging pitches. Kohli worked Anderson out in those conditons. Anderson tried 5 times in 5 different matches and couldn't do anything vs him. So what if there are dropped catches. How many times did ponting and Hayden screw Asian teams in australia. They were gifted several lives. There is no luck. Hard work greatest luck for you because you earned it.
    What is this hypothesis based on?

How is Anderson and Waqar a comparison?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sachin is not better than kohli lmao. Maybe you nostalgic people feel that way but that's just not true. He may be more talented but he doesn't have the drive or grit of kohli. Kohli is far tougher mentally. Sachin has failed many times to bail india out. Virat stood above many of his peers in the most difficult conditions.
    Ppl have unbelievable arrogance here. How many ATG bowlers on the 90s wickets has Kohli played against?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Waqar at his peak could've troubled Kohli.

Kohli seems to struggle against swing bowling.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tell me a single bowler who has consistently dominated kohli and i want stats? Not one off series.

James anderson-dominated him in 2014,didn't even get him out once in 2018 and in indian conditions kohli literally toyed with him.

Dale steyn-the best test bowler of this generation, he has never ever dominated
    Kohli, he played against kohli in 2013 and 2018 but kohli always looked comfortable against him.

Mohd Amir-yes he has some great moments when it comes to battle with kohli but, lets look at some matches where he faced kohli
    Asia cup 16 - he was brilliant but kohli won the game for his team
    T20 world cup 2016-kohli again won the game for his side, amir was unable to stop him.
    Ct-2017-amir made mockery of kohli.
    Wc 2019-again kohli scored a brilliant half century and played him easily but he was incorrectly given out.
    So its 3:1, this is called clutching at straws, this is no domination.

Mitchell Johnson- kohli owned johnson in the test series. It was one of the most brutal assault i have seen.

Kohli is the only atg player i have seen who has won battle with each and every atg bowler he faced, even sachin had problems against ajmal, mcgrath etc etc, ponting was bhajjis bunny.
    As for modern bowlers Kagiso rabada is an atg candidate and his revord against kohli is bad, same case with bowlers like starc, Hazelwood.
    I doubt that waqar would be difficult for him, he has tamed better bowlers than waqar.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Tell me a single bowler who has consistently dominated kohli and i want stats? Not one off series.

James anderson-dominated him in 2014,didn't even get him out once in 2018 and in indian conditions kohli literally toyed with him.

Dale steyn-the best test bowler of this generation, he has never ever dominated
    Kohli, he played against kohli in 2013 and 2018 but kohli always looked comfortable against him.

Mohd Amir-yes he has some great moments when it comes to battle with kohli but, lets look at some matches where he faced kohli
    Asia cup 16 - he was brilliant but kohli won the game for his team
    T20 world cup 2016-kohli again won the game for his side, amir was unable to stop him.
    Ct-2017-amir made mockery of kohli.
    Wc 2019-again kohli scored a brilliant half century and played him easily but he was incorrectly given out.
    So its 3:1, this is called clutching at straws, this is no domination.

Mitchell Johnson- kohli owned johnson in the test series. It was one of the most brutal assault i have seen.

Kohli is the only atg player i have seen who has won battle with each and every atg bowler he faced, even sachin had problems against ajmal, mcgrath etc etc, ponting was bhajjis bunny.
    As for modern bowlers Kagiso rabada is an atg candidate and his revord against kohli is bad, same case with bowlers like starc, Hazelwood.
    I doubt that waqar would be difficult for him, he has tamed better bowlers than waqar.
    Kohli was dropped very early off Amirís bowling in Asia Cup 16. Yuvraj fell next ball. Get your facts straight

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like that the fact Waqar isn't sucking upto Indian players like most Pakistanis *cough* *cough* Wasim... Anyway now back to the thread, if history is to remain accurate then I don't think Waqar would have caused much issues to Kohli had Kohli been playing in Waqar's time. Wasim vs Kohli at their peak would have been the real battle, its real hard to predict who would win this battle..

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    No ATG bowler will struggle during his peak and Waqar was an ATG bowler.

Now he is overrated in ODI format, becacsue he was one of the most expensive bowler in ODI and used to get hit often. During those era his ER was 4.7 when some other top bowlers had ER of below 4. At same time, he would clean up tails quickly with his yorker, but tails were not that great during those days.

He was a champion bowler in the test format. I don't see a situation where he would have struggled during his peak period of 1989-1994. Getting hit sometime by SRT or Lara or not doing well in some venues during that time hardly proves that he would have struggled against Kohli.

Most ATG players can hold their own in any era. In fact, a bowler during peak has more chance to make a come back and I don't see any ATG bowler during peak struggling. Not being too sucessfull is different than struggling.
    Great post. I completely agree that Waqar was a great bowler in tests but at the same time was overrated in ODIs.

Just look at economy rate of some of the great ODI bowlers during Waqar's era.

Shaun Pollock- 3.67
    Glenn McGrath- 3.88
    Wasim Akram- 3.89
    Curtly Ambrose- 3.48
    Courtney Walsh- 3.88
    Allan Donald- 4.15
    Chaminda Vaas- 4.18
    Kapil Dev- 3.71
    Imran Khan- 3.85

Darren Gough- 4.39
    Javagal Srinath- 4.44
    Heath Streak- 4.51

And Waqar Younis 4.68 and being significant in both the losses Pakistan had suffered in the World Cup match vs India. Not being able to play for Pakistan in the World Cup 1999 tells us a lot about his ODI career.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 7th April 2020 at 16:35.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGrath says hi. Pitching on off - moving away - edges to first/second slip every single time.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Kohli was dropped very early off Amirís bowling in Asia Cup 16. Yuvraj fell next ball. Get your facts straight
    Junaid Khan missing from your list. He made Kohli his poodle

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How would Rohit The Hitman Sharma fare in the 1990s?

He might be made to look a fool on some days but on select days I see him smashing Ambrose, Donald, Waqar around like no one ever could.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli isn't even close to touching Tendulkar's legacy yet. It is actually high time he's in the 30s now. Even today if the two walk into a stadium, Tendulkar mania will simply take over.