Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you find tipping necessary?

Tipping is like a tradition here in North America. People generally tip when they order foods or when they go out to eat. Do you find it necessary? Is tipping something people do at your area?

I personally tip but I find it really unnecessary. I don't know why people need to pay for services when they are already paying for the foods.

Discuss.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 9th April 2020 at 09:25.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It quite stupid, isn't it? I mean I paid for my food, paid the tax, and you want me to pay you another X amount of percentage or feel ashamed? LOL ... Yeah I hate tipping, it should be the employers job to pay their workers. But I do it out of courtesy.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked a minimum wage for a summer and if you don't tip I make almost nothing pay is bad so workers rely on tips to earn money,
    If you don't make sure don't order from the same guy cause he will likely spit on your food(it's more common than you think trust me) and I won't be mad at the guy loosen up your pockets guys

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I hate it in delivery orders

Like there is already a delivery charge and a service fee charge which has jacked up the bill by 30% or so and you want a tip on top of all that?

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Live in Australia where workers are actually paid a living wage, so yes I find tipping completely unnecessary. Would still begrudgingly do it when in the US though

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Live in Australia where workers are actually paid a living wage, so yes I find tipping completely unnecessary. Would still begrudgingly do it when in the US though
    That's really nice. This is what I love about Australia. Much more sensible than USA and maybe even Canada.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    I worked a minimum wage for a summer and if you don't tip I make almost nothing pay is bad so workers rely on tips to earn money,
    If you don't make sure don't order from the same guy cause he will likely spit on your food(it's more common than you think trust me) and I won't be mad at the guy loosen up your pockets guys
    I once didn't tip a delivery guy and the guy got really mad. I reported him to the owner (was a franchise) and also to the company.

They apologized to me and sent me $10 gift card. LOL.

I never ordered from that place again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

Like there is already a delivery charge and a service fee charge which has jacked up the bill by 30% or so and you want a tip on top of all that?
    I agree. Absolutely ridiculous. If they are already charging delivery charge, why additional tip?
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 9th April 2020 at 10:52.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tipping should be left to the decision of the giver and not make an unwritten mandate. The waiters work for a service provider who make enough profit and really should be held responsible for paying their employees appropriately. This is nothing but a indirect manifestation of business trying to pass on as much expenses as possible to the end consumer to maintain their profit sheet. The problem is huge in US and to an extent in India as well so much so that some restaurants inspite of SC/govt directives compels customer to pay service charges or don't allow them inside if the customer declines to pay.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usually do it when eating out, less so with delivery orders - mainly because I don't have change lying around.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Tipping is like a tradition here in North America. People generally tip when they order foods or when they go out to eat. Do you find it necessary? Is tipping something people do at your area?

I personally tip but I find it really unnecessary. I don't know why people need to pay for services when they are already paying for the foods.

Discuss.
    Because American restaurants and bars underpay their staff in the expectation that people will tip.

In the UK it is less expected but I always tip if the service is decent.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My ex gf worked as a waitress for a few months after college. She got me into the habit of tipping well. Itís now something I do irrespective of the location or the service offered

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimum wage in NZ is $18, so there is no concept of tipping. Some American tourists do it here because they think it's the way of the world, and the waiters or resteraunt owners are usually really confused when that happens.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a chance of doing an exchange program in the USA coming from Germany. Other participants were from Germany as well as Russia and Ukraine. They liked to eat cheap and never bothered giving out tips. One more thing, everyone would like to pay on their own even though they hang out together and talk each other but there is still a distance when it comes to calling each other as friends. To be honest, the waiters who were working at the American resaurants got appalled by witnessing this kind of behavior.

I think if you can afford to tip then you should do so because these low skilled workers like drivers and waiters they do not earn a lot of money so tippping is like a small gesture from our side. I do a lot and am very generous with my tipping. At the end of the day, God balances it out. The more you spend on others, the more you will recieve from God. I do not know how this equation with God works but it indeed does work. Been my experience.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I tip because it is expected, and when you are ordering food, you don't want to make enemies of those who are preparing it. However, I do think it's an outdated practice, and would prefer just to be told a price and to pay it like in most other service or retail industries.

These days you quite often get a service charge tacked on regardless, so you end up tipping twice in effect.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    Minimum wage in NZ is $18, so there is no concept of tipping. Some American tourists do it here because they think it's the way of the world, and the waiters or resteraunt owners are usually really confused when that happens.
    That doesnít make America weird it makes Nzl unique. I donít think I know anywhere else in the world where a waiter will not be happy with a extra tip.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18$ minimum wage how are you guys surviving as a country this is so weird for me, Can you even pay that much as a restruant owner just wow
    Everything must be expensive as hell tho this would increase the costs significantly

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    That doesn’t make America weird it makes Nzl unique. I don’t think I know anywhere else in the world where a waiter will not be happy with a extra tip.
    That's because waiters are generally not that well paid everywhere else. Same goes for cab drivers, hotel bell boys etc. Poor people generally appreciate tips more than well paid ones.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Wow I wouldn't even spit in my enemies food and you'd not be mad about that
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th April 2020 at 20:27.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Wow I wouldn't even spit in my enemies food and you'd not be mad about that
    I WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING (I know you alluding to that) cause I know better and I don't care about money like that to do such a disgusting thing but at the same time interacting with lots of delivery people over lots of summers this practice is quite common and most of them are struggling financially barely making ends meet and what they say when asked why do you do this since its disgusting they say its a way to get back at people in a sick way but in a way it makes them feel good

and I think if you cant give 1 or 2 $ for tips repeatedly than you had it coming from the guy who is probably stressed out due to his finances its almost like asking for it cause it will happen or at least from the majority of 20 to 30 delivery guys I know
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th April 2020 at 20:27.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    That doesn’t make America weird it makes Nzl unique. I don’t think I know anywhere else in the world where a waiter will not be happy with a extra tip.
    In places where tipping isn't common and the society is well off, tipping can be seen as insulting. Especially, if the tip is around 20% of the total bill, as it's usual in America.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetkSilyZrk

Do you think Shabash Sharif was right in this incident? I know he is filthy rich

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    In places where tipping isn't common and the society is well off, tipping can be seen as insulting. Especially, if the tip is around 20% of the total bill, as it's usual in America.
    I think it varies a bit but not that much. For example in India and I am sure it is the case in most of the subcontinent, you see people like postmen etc asking for tips during Diwali or other big religious festivals when they deliver the mail. Similarly other blue collar workers even when they are just doing their job. Obviously in the west that would be seen as asking for a bribe.

On the other hand from the countries I have travelled or lived in tipping in a restaurant is almost like a unwritten rule. I have never been to Nzl so maybe I find it weird that they get offended receiving a tip.

Anyways I have been to restaurants and bars where the gratuity is already added to the bill so you can just skip the additional tips without feeling guilty.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IN the US servers are paid like $2/hr even though the min wage is around $8, but if the server did not make $8/hr with the tip, the restaurant have to make up the difference in pay. If a meal cost around $20 now and if you take away tipping and make the restaurants pay their servers min wage then it will raise their price to absorb the cost. Restaurant is very risky with low profit margin so many will not survive this.

If you don't tip, it is assumed that you were unsatisfied with the service and the server can get in trouble. Yes, tipping is an outdated system, but it is the norm in the US, so please tip when you eat out or get your food delivered. On the other hand, take out is up to you,

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    IN the US servers are paid like $2/hr even though the min wage is around $8, but if the server did not make $8/hr with the tip, the restaurant have to make up the difference in pay. If a meal cost around $20 now and if you take away tipping and make the restaurants pay their servers min wage then it will raise their price to absorb the cost. Restaurant is very risky with low profit margin so many will not survive this.

If you don't tip, it is assumed that you were unsatisfied with the service and the server can get in trouble. Yes, tipping is an outdated system, but it is the norm in the US, so please tip when you eat out or get your food delivered. On the other hand, take out is up to you,
    As usual, if there's a stupid way to do anything, trust USA to be at the forefront of it.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    As usual, if there's a stupid way to do anything, trust USA to be at the forefront of it.
    Agreed.

USA spends over $600-billion in defense but can't take care of own people.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 9th April 2020 at 21:54.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but everything is expensive to buy so it all equals out.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of restaurants in NYC these days who donít expect tips from their patrons & proudly declare that they pay their servers living wages - they have adjusted their food prices accordingly. But overall yeah, i agree that the tipping burden shouldnít be on the customers.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Am hearing that people in America are baiting a lot of instacart delivery guys with initial promises of gigantic tips i.e. $50-100 to deliver their groceries only to later reduce it significantly or eliminate it completely. Instacart people complaining that they are exposing themselves to the virus and only getting paid $8-10 for it. Crisis brings out the worst in humans.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Because American restaurants and bars underpay their staff in the expectation that people will tip.

In the UK it is less expected but I always tip if the service is decent.
    I can list a number of industries where workers are under paid, would you tip them?

In the UK the service charge is included and made clear on the recipt the charge is discretionary.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I always tip.

To help someone who is on a minimum job shouldnít be seen as ďunnecessaryĒ.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you utilise the services of an unethical company who doesn't provide its employee a decent wage. Then you have a moral obligation to tip.

I tend to tip quite a bit as I have been on the end of the spectrum too.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    When you utilise the services of an unethical company who doesn't provide its employee a decent wage. Then you have a moral obligation to tip.

I tend to tip quite a bit as I have been on the end of the spectrum too.
    I think people who actually worked minimum wage once in there life tend to tip more just my observation from people

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    √É‚Äįire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    It's necessary if you get decent service. If your waiter or service is crap you're more than entitled not to tip.

I'd also say if you're alone you can get away with not tipping, as generally you'd be served fed and gone within an hour if its a restaurant or so but that depends on the person.

The US method is absolutely stupid, essentially forcing customers to pay your staff a living wage.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

yeah cause the delivery driver doesn't get a penny over their minimum wage.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the issue is here?

If the service has been good, ill tip. If bad, no tip.

I tried to tip a Pakistani waiter once, he said dont bother it goes to my boss. So I gave his boss £5 and told him to pass it to the waiter in front of everyone, which he agreed to do. Not sure if the lad has been fired. lol

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís pretty stupid.

It allows their employer to keep them at minimum wage or below because their potential ďtipsĒ make up for it.

You should only be required to pay the amount on the bill, not any niceties that are a made-up rule.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend people visiting America to tip otherwise you'll get bad service and somebody could mess with your food next time.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    I'd recommend people visiting America to tip otherwise you'll get bad service and somebody could mess with your food next time.
    Only at restaurants or diners. And thatís if you revisit in the first place.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surely you tip after you have finished eating? If I visit US, doubt Ill be going to the same place twice. And if they are the type to mess with your food due to no tip, they deserve sweet fa.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people who actually worked minimum wage once in there life tend to tip more just my observation from people
    This is very true. I have worked as an taxi driver and now I always tip my driver when I grab a taxi. I realise the little money that they make due to overhead costs and little work.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in NZ 99.999% payments can be done electronically so I hardly any cash other than a single $50 note in my wallet for emergencies.

When I visited the US, I was surprised how backward things were and there were a lot more "cash only" businesses. More often than not I never had the right amount of cash or change so I always ended up giving more in tips than I really should have. I finally figured out to have a separate wad of one dollar bills held together by a rubber band.

One restaurant I went to on the receipt had printed 15% for fair service, 18% for good and 25% for excellent and the various amounts to tip which I found ridiculous. Why can't they just include that in your prices?

I also love how they don't include sales tax on shelf prices. Thanks America, you really are the greatest.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much US hating on this thread jealous much
    you know we are better than every other country on earth because of capitalism IT WORKS!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf348 View Post
    Here in NZ 99.999% payments can be done electronically so I hardly any cash other than a single $50 note in my wallet for emergencies.

When I visited the US, I was surprised how backward things were and there were a lot more "cash only" businesses. More often than not I never had the right amount of cash or change so I always ended up giving more in tips than I really should have. I finally figured out to have a separate wad of one dollar bills held together by a rubber band.

One restaurant I went to on the receipt had printed 15% for fair service, 18% for good and 25% for excellent and the various amounts to tip which I found ridiculous. Why can't they just include that in your prices?

I also love how they don't include sales tax on shelf prices. Thanks America, you really are the greatest.
    Cash only is to avoid taxes.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know when and what parts of America you visited but I don't carry cash and do all my transactions through my debit card, also people commonly tip digitally as well, maybe you don't have that in New Zealand yet but in America there's you write the tip amount on the check (receipt) and sign it while handing over your card.

We don't include sales tax in shelf prices because America is a HUGE country unlike New Zealand so we have many levels of government, there can be local and/or state sales tax depending on where you live so it'd be inconvenient to advertise a shelf price with "tax included" when the price of the same product could be different the town across depending on if they have local (municipal) tax.

Here in Texas (2nd most populous state) we don't have any sales tax on food products such as eggs, milk, bread, fruits, vegetables, flour and meat. That's rare in most first world countries, I'm sure everything in New Zealand is like 10 times more expensive and the wages are significantly lower.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Cash only is to avoid taxes.
    They can't do that. Small businesses do however prefer cash transactions for small purchases < $3 - $5 as it costs them more money then they'd make for receiving the money from the bank/card company, some will charge a fee to make up that difference. You don't face that issue at franchises/big box stores which pretty much dominate food and retail over here.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can't do that. Small businesses do however prefer cash transactions for small purchases < $3 - $5 as it costs them more money then they'd make for receiving the money from the bank/card company, some will charge a fee to make up that difference. You don't face that issue at franchises/big box stores which pretty much dominate food and retail over here.
    I have seen cash only restruants in NYC of all places so he is not that wrong tbh

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen cash only restruants in NYC of all places so he is not that wrong tbh
    Idk, never been there but it's not common in Texas and we're the 2nd most populous state.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk, never been there but it's not common in Texas and we're the 2nd most populous state.
    lots of Chinese places are cash only all over northeast to save taxes

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know when and what parts of America you visited but I don't carry cash and do all my transactions through my debit card, also people commonly tip digitally as well, maybe you don't have that in New Zealand yet but in America there's you write the tip amount on the check (receipt) and sign it while handing over your card.
    I visited for 3 months in 2016/2017 and another 2 months in 2018. I noticed a lot small businesses especially street vendors like taco trucks in LA or food carts in NY were cash only. I remember eating at an IHOP in Baton Rouge and Charleston that were cash only. A lot of businesses that I frequented in Chinatown in San Francisco were cash only.

You might not be a drinker I found it extremely common in bars and clubs all over America to give your bartender a dollar bill as a tip even if you paid for your drink with your card which I found pretty stupid.

I'm sure everything in New Zealand is like 10 times more expensive and the wages are significantly lower.
    Things are not 10 times more expensive and the wages while lower aren't that far behind. In return we have arguably a much better quality of living.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/166211/...ncome-000.aspx

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are not 10 times more expensive and the wages while lower aren't that far behind. In return we have arguably a much better quality of living.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/166211/...ncome-000.aspx
    quality of life cant be measured so it bullcrap to me

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Yes but everything is expensive to buy so it all equals out.
    Health care is free and university is becoming free, these are 2 major costs that minimum wage workers don't have to worry about.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know we are better than every other country on earth because of capitalism IT WORKS!
    So why so many homeless and people who can't afford healthcare or university?

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18$ minimum wage how are you guys surviving as a country this is so weird for me, Can you even pay that much as a restruant owner just wow
    Everything must be expensive as hell tho this would increase the costs significantly
    We don't spend trillions on wars, we spend it on the citizens.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always....if I get great service I tip generously. The most I've tipped was $100 on a $450 meal....

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't spend trillions on wars, we spend it on the citizens.
    It's for the world there will be a power vacuum if they don't spend these trillions they are needed to maintain world peace cause without a dominant force proxies will start around the globe (lot more than right know)

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why so many homeless and people who can't afford healthcare or university?
    If I start answering every single one of your questions (leftist CNN moaning kinda propaganda to me) than this thread would go way off topic, So I suggest you keep the Socialist brainwashing aside for a while

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I start answering every single one of your questions (leftist CNN moaning kinda propaganda to me) than this thread would go way off topic, So I suggest you keep the Socialist brainwashing aside for a while
    Right. After reading all your comments, it's clear what kind of person you are and who you support.

Let me guess, you're going around right now shaking hands with people to prove to the virus who is superior.

No point arguing with you.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. After reading all your comments, it's clear what kind of person you are and who you support.

Let me guess, you're going around right now shaking hands with people to prove to the virus who is superior.

No point arguing with you.
    That was my point don't argue with me thank you! 😁

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post

Servers are paid $3.50/hr nationally. You do know a lot of people choose to do that job because of the tips?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye, everyone can see how the system is working fine now with the COVID-19. New York has more cases then any other country and the health system is a mess. Anyhow, I will stop as I dont want to derail the thread.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Bahamas for last few months for work, I always tip because these workers are only making $4-5/hr...

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tipping people on wages akin to slavery is one thing. As much as I find it a hassle to calculate what the hell is 20% of X amount on the spot, I don't have a problem if the people depend on it.

What I despise is that there are people out there that are earning a perfectly comfortable salary that still decide to milk the system.

Eg in my last trip my company splashed out on a half day helicopter tour around the Grand Canyon for myself and 2 other colleagues. When we were done, the helicopter pilot held open the exit door in the terminal building just wide enough so that each of us would have to walk past him one by one, look him in the eye and felt pressured enough to give him a obligatory tip.

Another time I observed a security guard in a club milking tips like no tomorrow from patrons just by pointing where the washrooms are.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    Servers are paid $3.50/hr nationally. You do know a lot of people choose to do that job because of the tips?
    Bartenders make a killing. One of my friends used to do on weekends in our senior year and he was rolling in spare cash. So much so that when he got a proper job after college he still
    Continues to do on weekends.

Waiters donít. Inebriated people tip more and also the ticket size per order is also smaller but people wonít tip in cents so %age goes higher

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tipping people on wages akin to slavery is one thing. As much as I find it a hassle to calculate what the hell is 20% of X amount on the spot, I don't have a problem if the people depend on it.

What I despise is that there are people out there that are earning a perfectly comfortable salary that still decide to milk the system.

Eg in my last trip my company splashed out on a half day helicopter tour around the Grand Canyon for myself and 2 other colleagues. When we were done, the helicopter pilot held open the exit door in the terminal building just wide enough so that each of us would have to walk past him one by one, look him in the eye and felt pressured enough to give him a obligatory tip.

Another time I observed a security guard in a club milking tips like no tomorrow from patrons just by pointing where the washrooms are.
    A friend of mine earned 250$ in 4 hours, cash for hanging coats at a country club

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a store that does it for any price and itís a small mom-pop store.
    Last edited by ManFan; 11th April 2020 at 10:40.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a store that does it for any price and itís a small mom-pop store.
    They also use a small calculator and not a cash register because they cannot be traced when it comes time to file taxes (as the accountants have the codes for any cash register and can simply trace it) and can show any amount they want due to it being cash only.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a store that does it for any price and it’s a small mom-pop store.
    dude you live in england lol

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do tip but it is around 10% ,but I never understood if we are paying service charges (in India) shouldn't be that be given to waiters

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do tip but not everytime.

I have an interesting story to share. I had an encounter with a delivery guy and after receiving my package he literally said to me 'X-XX rs ly ana'. I was like what!?. I don't know why but I gave him less X amount of money as a tip and said to him that 'if you'll be asking for tips upfront everythime don't ever come here to deliver'.

This hasn't changed my perspectives over waiters and delivery guys. Just wanted to share a little story.

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually tip 20-30 extra to delivery guys. Very rarely tip when eating at restaurants. At dhabas I usually pay a little extra.