Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Andrew Strauss : 'Mohammad Yousuf's post-conversion to Islam attitude toward cricket helped me'

Andrew Strauss speaking on the Sky Sports Cricket Podcast:

"I think there are mental skills and training you can do, I think the idea of mindfulness and meditation, just calming down the mind is an important part of this.

"I like to use the example of Mohammad Yousuf, he was Yousuf Youhana and he was averaging 40-odd in Test cricket. He changed his name, became a devout Muslim and on the back of that, he had this philosophy of 'God-willing, what will happen will happen'. He had a much different outlook on life.

"He went from averaging 40 to over the space of 3-4 years averaging 70 in Test cricket based on just shifting his perspective on life and what's important and almost not trying to be as control of his batting as previously and accepting fate will have something in store for him.

"I think that was a really good illustration for me, sometimes you've just got to let it all go. If I was working with a younger player, that's the philosophy I'd try and embed in them, try to do some mindfulness and meditation as well but it's an ongoing thing. You can't just click your fingers and make it happen."
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th April 2020 at 02:42.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top analysis

Pakistan has produced some inspirational role models for cricketers. Mohammad Yousuf was a textbook example of how to bat for coaching manuals all over the world regardless of what certain people with certain agendas have to say.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great analysis.

Mohammad Yousaf was an outstanding batsman.

And there is no doubt a person can perform better when his mind is at the right place.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Yousuf never scored a World Cup half century against any Test playing nation in 1999, 2003 and 2007.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Mohammad Yousuf never scored a World Cup half century against any Test playing nation in 1999, 2003 and 2007.
    He was a choker. His only noteworthy innings in world cups was probably against Australia in 1999. Too many of our good players over the past 20 years were World Cup chokers which is why we have performed so terribly in them apart from 2011. You shouldn’t be considered an ODI great if you can’t show up at the biggest stage. Still a very good ODI batsman and a great test batsman who would’ve made runs for fun and ended up averaging near 60 if he played till 2015 in the UAE.

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    He was a choker. His only noteworthy innings in world cups was probably against Australia in 1999. Too many of our good players over the past 20 years were World Cup chokers which is why we have performed so terribly in them apart from 2011. You shouldn’t be considered an ODI great if you can’t show up at the biggest stage. Still a very good ODI batsman and a great test batsman who would’ve made runs for fun and ended up averaging near 60 if he played till 2015 in the UAE.
    Can't be a "great" ODI batsman without producing in the World Cup.
    That is the primary reason why ODI Cricket is played.

And he didn't have the fitness, fielding quality, leadership value in the team or the hunger to play till 2015 in the same way as Misbah. Think he might have struggled in the UAE as a fluent shot maker vs pacer. He'd have had to change his game and approach. Not easy to score quickly and play with the same free flowing fluency against pace in the UAE.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Andrew Strauss speaking on the Sky Sports Cricket Podcast:

"I think there are mental skills and training you can do, I think the idea of mindfulness and meditation, just calming down the mind is an important part of this.

"I like to use the example of Mohammad Yousuf, he was Yousuf Youhana and he was averaging 40-odd in Test cricket. He changed his name, became a devout Muslim and on the back of that, he had this philosophy of 'God-willing, what will happen will happen'. He had a much different outlook on life.

"He went from averaging 40 to over the space of 3-4 years averaging 70 in Test cricket based on just shifting his perspective on life and what's important and almost not trying to be as control of his batting as previously and accepting fate will have something in store for him.

"I think that was a really good illustration for me, sometimes you've just got to let it all go. If I was working with a younger player, that's the philosophy I'd try and embed in them, try to do some some mindfulness and meditation as well but it's an ongoing thing. You can't just click your fingers and made it happen."
    That's actually one hell of an example to be fair and I agree with Andrew even though am not his biggest fan towards the end of his career / beyond, Bob Woolmer also touches on the mental aspect towards batting heavily in his book which is just a must for any aspiring cricketer or even for general reading really it truly is brilliant.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Top analysis

Pakistan has produced some inspirational role models for cricketers. Mohammad Yousuf was a textbook example of how to bat for coaching manuals all over the world regardless of what certain people with certain agendas have to say.
    just wait before a certain someone to come & bash yusuf right left & center for his philosophy & what not.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Do you realise Andrew was alluding to Mohammad the Test Batsman and specifically the mental side of batting citing his conversion as an example, talk about going off on a tangent what did you have for lunch ?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Can't be a "great" ODI batsman without producing in the World Cup.
    That is the primary reason why ODI Cricket is played.

And he didn't have the fitness, fielding quality, leadership value in the team or the hunger to play till 2015 in the same way as Misbah. Think he might have struggled in the UAE as a fluent shot maker vs pacer. He'd have had to change his game and approach. Not easy to score quickly and play with the same free flowing fluency against pace in the UAE.
    If you are alluding to Test Cricket in the UAE then what an absolutely absurd comment, you 'think' he wouldn't have scored in the UAE, if hacks like Misbah with a 10x rubbish technique with zero footwork could why would he have a problem ? in flat conditions Mohammad was even more impressive and the times he did play in the UAE he averages 90. The attritional style of Batting would be easy peasy for him, if anything Mohammad would give the innings a lot more impetus. His main issue was his personality and he put himself on a big pedestal which contributed to that attitude towards the end, I would to when someone entitled like Misbah was given all those chances to prove himself despite being a significantly inferior Batsman.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    If you are alluding to Test Cricket in the UAE then what an absolutely absurd comment, you 'think' he wouldn't have scored in the UAE, if hacks like Misbah with a 10x rubbish technique with zero footwork could why would he have a problem ? in flat conditions Mohammad was even more impressive and the times he did play in the UAE he averages 90. The attritional style of Batting would be easy peasy for him, if anything Mohammad would give the innings a lot more impetus. His main issue was his personality and he put himself on a big pedestal which contributed to that attitude towards the end, I would to when someone entitled like Misbah was given all those chances to prove himself despite being a significantly inferior Batsman.
    After 2007 Moyo never made a hundred in any format, his averages are also extremely inflated by matches against bangladesh
    As a captain which is what strauss was known for rather than his batting he floundered which is the only thing I'd even associate between the two

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah was given all those chances to prove himself despite being a significantly inferior Batsman.
    Yousuf and Misbah were both born in 1974.
    Yousuf was younger than Misbah.
    Yet Misbah played till 42.
    Yousuf ended at 36.

Misbah after 36 made 76 50+ scores for Pakistan in Tests and ODIs combined whereas Yousuf made 0 50+ scores in international cricket after the age of 36.

Significantly inferior?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    where the ODI come from? Strauss is clearly talking about test cricket. Will you demean Gavasker's career because he was bad in ODI?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments on how when you are at peace with yourself, your performance as a sportsman improves.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to repeat the obvious for the umpteenth time but ODI cricket is not the criterion for judging a great batsman

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Hate to repeat the obvious for the umpteenth time but ODI cricket is not the criterion for judging a great batsman
    For Pakistan players it kind of is.

They don't play any big series like the Ashes in Test Cricket or any long Test series i.e. four of five match series.

For Pakistan players the World Cup is kind of the pinnacle.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They don't play any big series like the Ashes in Test Cricket or any long Test series i.e. four of five match series.

Their careers arent necessarily defined by it tho if they do poorly

Theres a number of players who havent had great world cups but because theyve had great overall careers they are still legendary in status in pakistan -yousif is one example

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yousuf was my favourite Pakistani batsmen ever. Loved the way he batted. It's a joke a rubbish UAE bully misbah is being compared to him. Yousuf was miles then the spin basher.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not just cricket, in any discipline focusing on the objective can be stifling, better to focus on the process and believe in yourself.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yousuf ended at 36.

Misbah after 36 made 76 50+ scores for Pakistan in Tests and ODIs combined whereas Yousuf made 0 50+ scores in international cricket after the age of 36.

Significantly inferior?
    76 match losing 50's? There is a reason why Misbah has never won a single ODI Man of the match award and is known as a chocker, a bottler

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The likes of Inzamam had an impact on Yousuf's decision to convert to Islam, but ultimately I believe it was his own decision, although some say he was forced and put under pressure.
    Last edited by Saj; 10th April 2020 at 02:28.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The likes of Inzamam had an impact on Yousuf's decision to convert to Islam, but I believe it was his own decision.
    Saeed Anwar was the man

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Yousuf ended at 36.

Significantly inferior?
    He could have made more runs then a number of all time greats past 36, does that make him a better player ? No, it just shows that he was a wild exception who failed in his prime and bloomed a little bit as he got older but the selfishness to continue and exploit flat conditions meant others were held back, on top of that he never had the same success outside the UAE either. It's a pretty brainless logic if you ask me which is being used and even more so when Yousuf scored more runs then the dirty old grandpa.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe but a mighty fine test batsman he was.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    76 match losing 50's? There is a reason why Misbah has never won a single ODI Man of the match award and is known as a chocker, a bottler
    Misbah won 6 MOTM awards in ODIs.

Yousuf did win many more though, 18. Though he played more matches (288 vs 162).

However, their World Cup records are incomparable. Yousuf only made three scores of 40+ in 13 WC matches and those scores were against Scotland, Netherlands, and Namibia.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Misbah won 6 MOTM awards in ODIs.

Yousuf did win many more though, 18. Though he played more matches (288 vs 162).

However, their World Cup records are incomparable. Yousuf only made three scores of 40+ in 13 WC matches and those scores were against Scotland, Netherlands, and Namibia.
    True but Misbah also has the distinction of costing Pakistan the 2011 World Cup and also the 2007 T20 World Cup

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan won 3-2 in an ODI series in West Indies in 2011. Misbah got 40*+ in all the wins. Failed in the two games they lost.

Pakistan won 3-1 in an ODI series in the West Indies in 2013 with a tie. Misbah made four half centuries. In the one match they lost he got a low score.

In 2013 Pakistan lost 3-2 in an ODI series in South Africa. Misbah scored 2 50s in the series, both in matches Pakistan won.

Misbah has 7 ODI World Cup half centuries, all in wins except 2 vs India. But no Pakistan team have had a successful result before vs India in a World Cup.

Misbah has 10 Test centuries. None vs Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. At least one against all other Test opponents. None of those tons have come in losses. 7 in wins and 3 in draws.

Misbah was in the official team of the tournament at the 2013 Champions Trophy and in the top 10 run scorers at the 2015 World Cup.

When Pakistan beat England 3-0 in 2012, Misbah and Azhar Ali were the only batters to make 2 50+ in the series. When Pakistan beat England 2-0 in 2015 in the UAE, Misbah made 4 50+ in a 3 Test series.

Man of the series in a major long drawn series in England in 2016. He was also MOM to help Pakistan secure a Test draw and series win in New Zealand in January 2011.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but Misbah has the distinction of costing Pakistan the 2011 World Cup
    World Cup matches vs India.

1992 Miandad 40 from 110 balls.
    Lost chasing.

1996 Miandad 38 from 64.
    Lost chasing.

1999 Inzamam 41 from 93.
    Lost chasing.

2011 Misbah 56 from 76.
    Lost chasing.

2015 Shehzad 47 from 73.
    Misbah made 76 from 84.
    Lost chasing.

Why blame Misbah?

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol obviously his mental str got stronger, all the outside noise stopped aka the teasing from fellow team players

He was called a lot of things, people tend to forget most of our players are uneducated ignorant fools who have one skill which is cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yousuf became a completely different player after the conversion. Strauss has a point here.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Yousuf became a completely different player after the conversion. Strauss has a point here.
    He recently admitted to accepting Islam many years before it became public knowledge.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's your opinion. Test cricket is still the tops. Being a good test player is and always will be more important than being a good ODI player. Ask any professional cricketer on the planet and they will tell you the same.

Furthermore, World Cup innings are usually only remembered if they result in something consequential (Inzamam vs NZ, 1992) or if they are just really good innings (Babar Azam vs NZ). But if you look at the last 5-6 World Cups, there are very few innings by Pakistani players (let alone Yousuf) that have actually been memorable. So its unfair to blame just him for not performing when the entire team performed horridly in 2003 and 2007.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's your opinion. Test cricket is still the tops. Being a good test player is and always will be more important than being a good ODI player. Ask any professional cricketer on the planet and they will tell you the same.

Furthermore, World Cup innings are usually only remembered if they result in something consequential (Inzamam vs NZ, 1992) or if they are just really good innings (Babar Azam vs NZ). But if you look at the last 5-6 World Cups, there are very few innings by Pakistani players (let alone Yousuf) that have actually been memorable. So its unfair to single him out when the entire team performed horridly in 2003 and 2007.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    World Cup matches vs India.

1992 Miandad 40 from 110 balls.
    Lost chasing.

1996 Miandad 38 from 64.
    Lost chasing.

1999 Inzamam 41 from 93.
    Lost chasing.

2011 Misbah 56 from 76.
    Lost chasing.

2015 Shehzad 47 from 73.
    Misbah made 76 from 84.
    Lost chasing.

Why blame Misbah?

Why just mention matches against India in a reply to Misbah costing 2 world cups? Costing a whole chip is different than losing to a certain team. It is obviously much more impactful.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Saeed Anwar was the man
    Saeed Anwar, Inzamam and a few people from outside cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but Misbah also has the distinction of costing Pakistan the 2011 World Cup and also the 2007 T20 World Cup
    We were never in contention to win the 2007 T20 WC. Misbah the batsman made it competitive and took us to the finals

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Islam is the most peaceful religion, i am sure more will join our path

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is sad that his test career ended earlier than it should have..

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Explain.

A middle order of Azhar, Younis, Misbah, Asad that performed so well to draw a Test series vs number 2 ranked SA and win a Test series in NZ in the 2010-11 winter. There was no room for Yousuf at all. Plus Yousuf showed no desire to win back his place in domestic cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Not really he was done by 36 Yousuf never was the fittest and like another poster said he never tried domestically to win his place back

As well as this he was also a controversial character witg all the shenanigans of 2009 and oathgate

There was no way he couldve carried on post 2010 under misbah considering all of the above

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yousuf ended at 36.

Significantly inferior?
    How many games after the age of 36 did MoYo play? How many did Misbah play?

Also I remember MoYo was dropped from T20 he threw his toys out of the pram and thatís why he was dropped. He was recalled against England when Pakistan were struggling against them half way through a series and he didnít perform and he was dropped for good. This wasnít fair on him but his attitude did cause that.

This doesnít take away he was a fantastic batsmen. People say he was a choker but I saw him on many many occasions finish the game of for Pakistan

Listen to your parents. Love them and respect them. Do not ever disobey or be rude to them

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yousuf scored 1,788 runs in 2006 which is a world record for most runs scored in a year in tests at an average of almost 100.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yousuf ended at 36.

Significantly inferior?
    MOYO has scored a century at International level against all Test playing nations, and also on the shores of all test nations

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved MoYo the batsman. One of the most talented batsman world and Pakistan cricket has seen. His cover drive was a sight to see. He unfortunately has a confrontational personality that doesnt flies in our desi culture, which is all about being fake nice.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He always was very stylish and beautiful to watch

A very sweet timer of the ball and aesthetically pleasing batsman

He was a joy to watch in full flow esp post his conversion when he started to score more and regularly home and away

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzy786 View Post
    Yousuf scored 1,788 runs in 2006 which is a world record for most runs scored in a year in tests at an average of almost 100.
    In 2010 his average was down to about 25 while strauss finished quite strongly

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Met Yousuf a few years ago and what really impressed me was how well he had looked after himself in terms of fitness.

He was never the greatest fielder but I was surprised to see how strong and fit he was even after retiring.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The likes of Inzamam had an impact on Yousuf's decision to convert to Islam, but ultimately I believe it was his own decision, although some say he was forced and put under pressure.
    His whole family converted to Islam. The last part whoever is saying that is saying utter toss.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Met Yousuf a few years ago and what really impressed me was how well he had looked after himself in terms of fitness.

He was never the greatest fielder but I was surprised to see how strong and fit he was even after retiring.
    Lol, he has posted an online fitness video on his twitter giving advice to people on how to manage during the lockdown

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Yousuf learned, what Straussy learned during his wife's illness, what other athletes have often learned, is that focusing on things far more important than your game, makes your game better. Cricket is not the be all and end all. Yousuf learned that due to Islam.
    Last edited by The Viper; 12th April 2020 at 04:31.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think the lesson here is to stop worrying about outcomes and work on controlling and improving the processes, and results follow.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Listening to the podcast now. Sky are keeping me sane in this lockdown with their content at the moment.

I like these interviews where you gain insight into the mind of a player, the doubts and insecurities they have and how they battle to overcome them.

How I wish Pakistani pundits for once could provide genuine insight into what it's like playing at the top level instead of this crappy "vee are the most talented cricket nation yadda yadda" analysis we get. Our players arguably would have the most interesting stories to tell.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Explain.

A middle order of Azhar, Younis, Misbah, Asad that performed so well to draw a Test series vs number 2 ranked SA and win a Test series in NZ in the 2010-11 winter. There was no room for Yousuf at all. Plus Yousuf showed no desire to win back his place in domestic cricket.
    Plus Yousuf showed no desire to win back his place in domestic cricket
    Well I agree this was true , he was thinking himself for a batsman of his class to walk into any national team when asked to play domestics to prove his form wasnt alarming the bell for him. Well this was normal in that time in Pak and even India...

But that time PCB was ran by some really crap people who is not capable of handing any sort of management activities..

His fitness levels are not upto the mark but he is not the player that any team would want to just go away... Younis and yousuf were believed to carry the whole batting unit for pak after inzi is gone but that failed miserably and saw the downfall of Pak batting to new low with Misbah
    Last edited by ask_analyse_act; 13th April 2020 at 15:21.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Explain.

Also in ODIs i remember Yousuf was doing so well at no.3 avg 50+ was pushed down to number 5 and Younis who has better cricketing brain but comparatively less skilled for limited overs cricket was promoted from no.5 to no.3... Pak sometimes had this concept of playing their best batsman of the format very late in limited overs cricket...Younis who could only avg 30 even in Pak played at no.3 for a long time compared to Yousuf...

Younis was actually half of the problem after Inzi retired in WC2007, when he was asked to captain he ran away and when others are captain he cant stand inline ... Even in his retirement from Test cricket he wanted to finish as a captain which the board thought otherwise.. the four years from 2007 to 2011 Pak had like 5 captains malik, younis, Yousuf, Afridi, salman butt, misbah ul Haq across all formats...

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still canít forget his 200 against England in England.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on cue.