User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Javed Miandad was ready to bat for Pakistan even when he was Head Coach, says Inzamam-ul-Haq

Inzamam speaking about Javed Miandad:

"Javed Miandad was my hero around the time I wanted to come into the Pakistan team"

"The quality that helped Javed Miandad rise to the top was that he had immense belief in himself"

"Mushtaq Mohammad told me that when Miandad was new on the scene when we went to Australia; In those days they used to have bowlers like Lillee, Thompson, Hogg and Lawson who were the types of bowlers where batsmen would stay awake at night thinking about the time they had to face these bowlers next morning"

"Where the better batsmen were worried about batting at the top positions, Javed Miandad would say send me in earlier, I will be able to play"

"He didnt score that well but he had this approach where he would take on any bowler, argue with them and mess them up"

"If you look at Miandad's career, you will see that he would mess with every great bowler he played against"

"Its usually the bowler who goes after the batsman so that he gets flustered and plays a bad shot but it was opposite for Javed - he would deliberately tease the bowlers so that they would attack him; Javed Miandad used to love playing against a challenge"

"The bigger the series, the more Javed Miandad's skills would be displayed and he would raise his level of performance"

"It is said that side of Javed Miandad's chest had turned red after being hit so many times during his innings of 114 but he had not stepped away from the bowling"

"His quality was that he would never let on that he was in trouble and he would dominate the bowlers; Its not that he would be hitting 4s and 6s - he would play good cricketing shots but all the time would tease the bowlers with his talk"

"If someone says to Javed Miandad - come and bat now, he will say yes I will do it"

"He was our coach on tour of New Zealand and we had some injuries to our batsmen and it was difficult to get replacements from Pakistan at short notice; Javed Miandad came to me and said there is one batsman who is completely ready to play if you are short of players - I asked him who is that? He said, I am ready"

"I told him, look at the batting conditions and you havent played for a long time, how will you cope? He said dont worry about me, I will manage well"

"I told him you will need to bat in the nets, and soon he was standing there with pads on"

"I have never seen anyone describe/teach batting like Javed Miandad used to do"

"Javed Miandad wasnt interested in teaching batting techniques but he would tell you how to score runs"

"All great players I have seen like Saeed Anwar, none of them would be bothered about technique but would be looking to score"

"When Zaheer and Javed Miandad would go on tour, coaches from county teams would come and ask them to check the issues with their batsmen"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Miandad was the definition of self-belief (still is!)

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Javed Miandad wasnt interested in teaching batting techniques but he would tell you how to score runs"

"All great players I have seen like Saeed Anwar, none of them would be bothered about technique but would be looking to score"
    Yet he never selected Fawad Alam on the basis that his technique was ugly. Fawad Alam scored massive runs yet didn't get selected.

Only explanation could be that Inzi didn't agree with Miandad/Saeed Anwar on this matter.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Wish we had a few more Javed Miandads these days.

One of the toughest cricketers ever.

Nowadays most of our batsmen aren't fit to tie his bootlaces.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Inzamam-ul-Haq has named Pakistan's greatest batsman of all time. Haq claimed that the batting legend explained the art of batting the best Inzamam-ul-Haq has named Pakistan's greatest batsman of all time. Haq claimed that the batting legend explained the art of batting the best

It's always fascinating to hear one legend lavishing praise on another icon of the gentlemen's game. Legendary Pakistani cricketer and former skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq has named the batsman who he believes was the greatest of all time in a Pakistani national jersey. Arguably one of the greatest to lead the Green Army, Inzamam himself enjoys the legendary status and the batting maestro is also the only Pakistani batsman to have scored 20,000 international runs.

While many considered Inzamam as the greatest batsman to have represented the Pakistani side, the former coach and team consultant believes his former teammate and 1992 World Cup winner with then Imran Khan-led Pakistan deserves the tag of being - the best batsman Pakistan ever produced till date. Interacting with his fans and followers in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, Inzamam picked the legendary Javed Miandad as Pakistan's greatest batsman of all time.

“I am going to talk about a player who was the hero of all batsmen when I was playing cricket. I am taking about Javed Miandad. He was the best player Pakistan ever produced at least in terms of batting. I have played with him for four to five years as a player and then also as a coach. He had a strong belief in himself which made him so great,” Inzamam said on a YouTube video said.

Inzamam hails the legend of Miandad

Saluting the greatest of Miandad, Inzamam talked about his fearless approach towards premier bowlers and how the batting icon used to turn the tables for the opposition when they used to sledge him. Hailed as the flagbearer of fearless batting, Inzamam called Miandad a big match player, who rose to every occasion during his batting prime.

“I once talked to Mushtaq Mohammad, he told me when they went to Australia when Miandad was a youngster, where batsmen feared going on top of the order Miandad was always eager to go out to bat and had a fearless approach. He would sledge the best bowlers in the world. Usually, bowlers sledged to get batsmen off their rhythm but Miandad turned it around. He was a big match player and rose to every occasion. He didn’t let players know how hard the situation is while playing a calculated knock,” he added.

'Javed explained the art of batting the best'

Known for his unconventional style of batting and leadership skills, Inzamam said that Miandad explained the art of batting the best as he was the batsman who was always concerned about scoring then techniques.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...batting/576174

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the days when Miandad would walk out to bat with that famous white helmet with just a chin strap, and especially if Pakistan were struggling (which was most days) you just knew the guy was going to play a good innings to rescue the team.

Only Steve Waugh of all the other batsmen I’ve seen would give the same impression and looking like he means business when the team needed him to deliver most.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    People mock him now and he does say some strange things, but what a batsman he was, tough as they come, mentally strong, fearless. Not afraid to take on anyone or take on any challenge.

Legend.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our greatest batter without a doubt. Always loved the occasion.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javed Miandad might be the most fearless cricketer Pakistan ever has produced.

A legend and he doesn’t get the respect which he deserves from Pakistanis.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Javed Miandad might be the most fearless cricketer Pakistan ever has produced.

A legend and he doesn’t get the respect which he deserves from Pakistanis.
    Oh he gets plenty of respect, there can be no greater respect than the forgiveness he has gotten from the nation for looting the PCB of Rs 100 million from 2008 to 2014 without doing anything in return

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    There can be no greater sign of respect than being 2 runs behind in your amount of aggregate test runs
    Haq retired just short of miandad but he definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same company

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Miandad was a batting legend Unfortunately since he has been controversial and outspoken which maybe has diluted his legendary batting

Maybe his ramblings seem like of some old man But it only goes to prove he cares a lot for pakistan and pakistan cricket

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    898 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    I remember the days when Miandad would walk out to bat with that famous white helmet with just a chin strap, and especially if Pakistan were struggling (which was most days) you just knew the guy was going to play a good innings to rescue the team.

Only Steve Waugh of all the other batsmen I’ve seen would give the same impression and looking like he means business when the team needed him to deliver most.
    Misbah also had that reliability and rescuing factor - always rebuilding a collapse.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The best players perform when the going is tough and Miandad was one of those Pakistani batsmen who made it count when it mattered.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miandad had the heart of a champion despite lacking classic cricket batting technique. I did not see him bat many times in those old transistor radio days when he played away from home. We were not so fortunate until late 70s to have a TV set at home (PTV was not able to even broadcast many games). One of my favorite memories of him is the test in Eng (I believe at Lords) when he had to come out open with Mohsin under dark, gloomy skies(per commentators) and achieving a target. It rained right after the victory.

What he lacked was a charismatic and authoritative personality which Imran possessed. That leadership disability made him not the best ever Pakistan cricketer. However, his presence in the team gave Imran the success he owes to Miandad whose street smart cricket was unmatched. He was the man behind many strategies on cricket field Imran employed. These 2 made Pak cricket great.

Of course after Miandad, we all know Inzi took care of the baton. I wish Inzi had the smarts of Miandad. Inzi definitely followed the footsteps of Miandad's passion to bring the team out of some tough situations as in series win in NZ and of course 92 WC. On the other side of the spectrum, we have players like Hafiz, who despite having a fluid cricket technique, lack(ed) brain and self respect, and yet are called professors in certain circles.

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    New Yarek
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricVet View Post
    Miandad had the heart of a champion despite lacking classic cricket batting technique. I did not see him bat many times in those old transistor radio days when he played away from home. We were not so fortunate until late 70s to have a TV set at home (PTV was not able to even broadcast many games). One of my favorite memories of him is the test in Eng (I believe at Lords) when he had to come out open with Mohsin under dark, gloomy skies(per commentators) and achieving a target. It rained right after the victory.

What he lacked was a charismatic and authoritative personality which Imran possessed. That leadership disability made him not the best ever Pakistan cricketer. However, his presence in the team gave Imran the success he owes to Miandad whose street smart cricket was unmatched. He was the man behind many strategies on cricket field Imran employed. These 2 made Pak cricket great.

Of course after Miandad, we all know Inzi took care of the baton. I wish Inzi had the smarts of Miandad. Inzi definitely followed the footsteps of Miandad's passion to bring the team out of some tough situations as in series win in NZ and of course 92 WC. On the other side of the spectrum, we have players like Hafiz, who despite having a fluid cricket technique, lack(ed) brain and self respect, and yet are called professors in certain circles.
    great cricketer. meet him once in sharjah. cheeky character

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadeemp View Post
    great cricketer. meet him once in sharjah. cheeky character
    He was something and one of his kind. No one loves him more than Indians and especially I am sure Kiran More

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For any Javed Miandad fans, well any cricket fans actually who admire great batting do watch the highlights of this memorable knock of 153* by Miandad v England in 1992 :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6o1krPCHzE

A question for those who watch this innings, Miandad rarely gets mentioned in discussion about elegant and stylish stroke players but look at the quality of strokes Miandad played in that innings, were they not as graceful or elegant ?

That partnership between Miandad and Saleem Malik is probably one of the finest displays of batting by a Pakistani duo that you will ever see, although understand the conditions were great for batting and the bowling was nothing special - but still, those were top drawer batsmen for sure.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another fine innings here by Javed Miandad in an ODI match v South Africa in 1993, scoring a 100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McS8oYkj_lQ

In particular I would recommend watching an awesome improvised shot Miandad hits for four off none other than Alan Donald , at exactly 8:00 minutes into the video... what a player.
    Last edited by Majid Khan; 9th May 2020 at 00:15.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another fine innings here by Javed Miandad in an ODI match v South Africa in 1993, scoring a 100:

In particular I would recommend watching an awesome improvised shot Miandad hits for four off none other than Alan Donald , at exactly 8:00 minutes into the video... what a player.
    Also, his six at 5:42. Look how quick his arms are!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Also, his six at 5:42. Look how quick his arms are!
    Yes that was a top shot , he made it look so easy.

Also check out out the crisp drives Miandad plays in this cameo knock of 60 against Australia from 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnYfr3fL98

And yet he rarely gets a mention in discussion about stylish batsmen, those strokes are as graceful and elegant as they get.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was a real competitor was Jav.

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I was young I found Miandad’s constant playing up of the victim card mildly irritating. I now more fully realise that his abiding sense of resentment was a positive mainspring in his career as a cricketer and that it went some way in explaining his success as a batsman.

Gideon Haigh summed it up perfectly when he wrote of Javed and the ‘power of grievance’. The sense of injustice - real or imagined - was a powerful motivating force and surely shaped not only the emotional intensity that Javed displayed on the cricket field but the fierce determination too. In cricket as a player he had an outlet to channel the emotion of resentment to a positive outcome.

Since retiring it has been harder for Miandad to channel the 'power of grievance' to a positive cause. You sense that more than many he really misses not being able to play at the highest level, partly for this reason.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    When I was young I found Miandad’s constant playing up of the victim card mildly irritating. I now more fully realise that his abiding sense of resentment was a positive mainspring in his career as a cricketer and that it went some way in explaining his success as a batsman.

Gideon Haigh summed it up perfectly when he wrote of Javed and the ‘power of grievance’. The sense of injustice - real or imagined - was a powerful motivating force and surely shaped not only the emotional intensity that Javed displayed on the cricket field but the fierce determination too. In cricket as a player he had an outlet to channel the emotion of resentment to a positive outcome.

Since retiring it has been harder for Miandad to channel the 'power of grievance' to a positive cause. You sense that more than many he really misses not being able to play at the highest level, partly for this reason.
    Very well said, agree fully.

You remind me of an old poster on PakPassion many years ago (I joined back in 2001) who was the favourite of many , by the name of ‘ggm’ - is that you Sir ?

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You remind me of an old poster on PakPassion many years ago (I joined back in 2001)...by the name of ‘ggm’ - is that you Sir ?
    Guilty!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The shot against Allan Donald is a work of art.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before playing that stroke he eyes the gap where he eventually hit the ball as Donald is running in... Such class.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    For any Javed Miandad fans, well any cricket fans actually who admire great batting do watch the highlights of this memorable knock of 153* by Miandad v England in 1992 :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6o1krPCHzE

A question for those who watch this innings, Miandad rarely gets mentioned in discussion about elegant and stylish stroke players but look at the quality of strokes Miandad played in that innings, were they not as graceful or elegant ?

That partnership between Miandad and Saleem Malik is probably one of the finest displays of batting by a Pakistani duo that you will ever see, although understand the conditions were great for batting and the bowling was nothing special - but still, those were top drawer batsmen for sure.
    What a shot!

He looked over there before the ball, thinking alright that's where im gonna hit him if it's in that zone and he executed it to perfection.

What a genius.

And this was against Donald at his peak in terms of pace. That delivery is in high 140s for sure. Donald was slightly faster tham Waqar, Bishop

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No doubt about it except 1996 wc quarterfinal.