Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] "My name is Saleem Malik. I would like to apologise to my fans"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like Lance Armstrong doping because everyone else around him was doping and that was the way to be.

Exactly what happened to Malik.

Yet, he made the choices he did. And was meant to pay for it but no one else in Pakistan has so far, so he is asking for his pound of flesh too.

I remember him so fondly, especially when he destroyed India in India with a 36 ball 72 if I am not mistaken and who took on England on monstrously seaming pitch with twin 80*+ scores.

Maybe he should do what Azharuddin did and become an MP. One job that doesn't require extra skill.

All round pathetic situation.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He can ask forgiveness from Allah, but literally everyone that gets caught wants a 2nd chance. He needs to fade away from cricket quietly

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

My only criticism would be, why do this now and not many years ago.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rule of law should be the same for all and on this basis there has been injustice on Malik.
    Last edited by Saj; 26th April 2020 at 20:51.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The ICC and the PCB need to demand the following

- An apology

- An admission of guilt, wrong doing and remorse

- A full and complete disclosure of each and every thing he did, the fellow players involved from beginning to end even if it means naming the fellow players he played with in the past

Then and only then he can get a full ICC and PCB clean chit.

I also hope that he is given security by the authorities and the government

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The ICC and the PCB need to demand the following

- An apology

- An admission of guilt, wrong doing and remorse

- A full and complete disclosure of each and every thing he did, the fellow players involved from beginning to end even if it means naming the fellow players he played with in the past

Then and only then he can get a full ICC and PCB clean chit.

I also hope that he is given security by the authorities and the government
    I will be completely honest with you here. That will do more harm than good for Pakistan..

Malik need to be slowly drafted back in the system just like others and lessons to be learnt and implemented equally on the next generation of players.

Malik stole our childhood though in a way. The displeasure of following Pakistan team and stain he put cannot be reversed.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, he is finally accepting and apologising after 20 years, after realising that there is no other option left.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I will be completely honest with you here. That will do more harm than good for Pakistan..

Malik need to be slowly drafted back in the system just like others and lessons to be learnt and implemented equally on the next generation of players.

Malik stole our childhood though in a way. The displeasure of following Pakistan team and stain he put cannot be reversed.
    He will have to do what I have suggested. There is no way that the ICC will let him off just like that if he is apologizing and admitting, accepting guilt, this guy was alleged to be the king fixer back then and he is going to be their most high profile catch even bigger than Hansie Cronje

On a side note, I don't believe that Salim Malik is someone who is struggling financially in life, he did invest reasonably well in business and investment interests and was in fact helping out other Pakistani Cricketers who were struggling financially. Is he extremely sick and saturated with life without cricket and just desperately wants the chance to be involved in some coaching capacity in the game?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    If Malik does reveal all to the ICC, this could open a huge can of worms for PCB and perhaps other Boards, with other players being implicated.

This could get messy.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    If Malik does reveal all to the ICC, this could open a huge can of worms for PCB and perhaps other Boards, with other players being implicated.

This could get messy.
    Lol, i would be very nervous if i was in the list of players mentioned numerous times by the Qayyum report. This will be a test to see if the PCB is indeed sincere in their anti corruption stance. This is could potentially be reopening the Qayyum report again.

On a side note, why is Malik doing all of this now after 20 long years? I don't think he is desperately struggling for money unlike Danish Kaneria. Is it just genuine frustration to see the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq making the most of their post playing lives in broadcasting, coaching while he took the hit? Is it just genuine saturation of not being involved in cricket at all?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are we ready as an awaam to destroy the reputations of Wasim, Ijaz, Mushtaq, Akram Raza, and perhaps a name that does not get taken enough — Inzamam ul Haq. To be honest, Saleem Malik taking names like this would create such a storm of removing people from positions due to fixing that he himself won’t be able to find a role. He should tread carefully for his own sake.

I’m not sure I want Pakistan’s reputation in tatters again. We have only just been able to clean up our image. But I’m also a man of principles and this has me conflicted. I can’t bear to see criminals thrive in the system more than honest, hard working folks.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Lol, i would be very nervous if i was in the list of players mentioned numerous times by the Qayyum report. This will be a test to see if the PCB is indeed sincere in their anti corruption stance. This is could potentially be reopening the Qayyum report again.

On a side note, why is Malik doing all of this now after 20 long years? I don't think he is desperately struggling for money unlike Danish Kaneria. Is it just genuine frustration to see the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq making the most of their post playing lives in broadcasting, coaching while he took the hit? Is it just genuine saturation of not being involved in cricket at all?
    It might just not be ex Pakistani players that he names. It could affect other Boards too.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Are we ready as an awaam to destroy the reputations of Wasim, Ijaz, Mushtaq, Akram Raza, and perhaps a name that does not get taken enough — Inzamam ul Haq. To be honest, Saleem Malik taking names like this would create such a storm of removing people from positions due to fixing that he himself won’t be able to find a role. He should tread carefully for his own sake.

I’m not sure I want Pakistan’s reputation in tatters again. We have only just been able to clean up our image. But I’m also a man of principles and this has me conflicted. I can’t bear to see criminals thrive in the system more than honest, hard working folks.
    Inzi is the one who lobbied for Malik to be forgiven, he is probably regretting it now and for not thinking how this would play out

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It might just not be ex Pakistani players that he names. It could affect other Boards too.
    The PCB cannot cover this up even if they wanted as that would invite scrutiny from the ICC.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I want Malik to name all the crooks. And they too should be banned for life from the game.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does apologizing make him an automatic choice to serve Pakistan cricket anyway? Apologizing is one thing, not being good enough is another.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just put the guy on some payroll and let him give throw downs to a lesser profile team.

If he plans to become some expert batting coach then he should forget it. Very dangerous influence for youngsters.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A part of me feels Wasim Akram’s legendary status is living on borrowed time here.

At some point, someone with serious credibility will spill the beans and it will be enough to forever taint him like Chris Cairns has been tainted. The funny thing is, Salim Malik most likely has that kind of credibility

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The PCB cannot cover this up even if they wanted as that would invite scrutiny from the ICC.
    You'd be amazed at what is possible behind the scenes.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dear Saleem bhai,

Keeping humanity in mind, i hereby accept your apology and offer you a second chance to redeem yourself and prove to be a better human being and a servant of the game.

Your wellwisher,
    Bhaijaan

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    A part of me feels Wasim Akram’s legendary status is living on borrowed time here.

At some point, someone with serious credibility will spill the beans and it will be enough to forever taint him like Chris Cairns has been tainted. The funny thing is, Salim Malik most likely has that kind of credibility
    Hence the reason why Malik needs to be given presidential level security asap. If God forbid anything happens to him, it's going to open a huge can of worms

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's a sad case, a guy who was right up there in the reckoning to be named after Hanif, Miandad, Zaheer Abbas ended up being remembered for fixing only

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the PCB proposed legislation to criminalize match fixing is playing a role here? Malik probably realized if he ever needed to confess after that legislation gets passed, he could end up behind bars and that it was better to do it now before that legislation takes over.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years is a long time for showing any sort of remorse. He knows all his other options dried up and thus he being apologetic about it. ICC and PCB asked him to show remorse and for me if you are "showing" any remorse, you were not remorseful at the first place.

Interestingly, in case of Salman, Amir and Sharjeel, all of them did not apologized straightaway like Steve Smith and Warner ( for a less grave of an offense ). Instead they only resorted to apologize to strengthen their case. It is also reflection of our morality as a nation. Salman's sisters and Amir's mother came on Live TV and declared him innocent. Malik maintained his stance for sometime now, and where as this apology for two decades. Where would this process stop, because every crook in Pakistan would now seek forgiveness and cite example of these people to get their way back in Cricket. Extremely disappointing and pretty much vindicates what Hafeez says.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

This could get messy.
    Yes.

People need to go back to the Karachi Test in 94-95 in which May and Warne reported that Saleem Malik offered them huge money to throw the game.

Pakistan won by 1 wicket due to an unbroken last wicket partnership of 61. In which Mark Taylor chose not to bowl Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne bowled wide of off-stump to Inzamam and Mushtaq and Ian Healy missed a simple stumping to lose the match.

I believe that Tim May raised the alarm because he was horrified by the bribe on offer. But he was a lawyer who was financially secure. I have never really trusted that tenth wicket partnership and the result, but I will not name names!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Yes.

People need to go back to the Karachi Test in 94-95 in which May and Warne reported that Saleem Malik offered them huge money to throw the game.

Pakistan won by 1 wicket due to an unbroken last wicket partnership of 61. In which Mark Taylor chose not to bowl Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne bowled wide of off-stump to Inzamam and Mushtaq and Ian Healy missed a simple stumping to lose the match.

I believe that Tim May raised the alarm because he was horrified by the bribe on offer. But he was a lawyer who was financially secure. I have never really trusted that tenth wicket partnership and the result, but I will not name names!

Lets not open a Pandora box, example is needed to be made out of him, else this whole thing is not going to stop. You give one crook an opportunity, and hundred other would pop up and cite their example.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing will happen.

Even if Saleem speaks.

You need proof. Not just one person taking another's name. There's no proof.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Nothing will happen.

Even if Saleem speaks.

Depends on what ICC's standards of admissible proof are. They still have the Mazhar Mahmood 2000 NOTW Sting tapes. Can Malik produce 20-30 year old bank statements, deposit slips, contact names of bookies who are willing to come forward and testify? If he can sound convincing, the ICC could be compelled to take a second look at things in more detail.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Nothing will happen.

Even if Saleem speaks.

Haha lots will happen. You don’t need proof to sully someone’s reputation. Once you open Pandora’s box, the headlines will blow up, names will be destroyed, and the team’s reputation will be in tatters for the fourth time since 1999.

No proof needed. The more likely outcome however is he will keep his mouth shut and try to make a graceful comeback. Surely he has come up with a convincing story after 20 years of silence.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    Lets not open a Pandora box, example is needed to be made out of him, else this whole thing is not going to stop. You give one crook an opportunity, and hundred other would pop up and cite their example.
    It's not a Pakistani box.

Saleem Malik knows which players in the other international teams - probably all of the teams - were on the take in the 1990's. Many of them occupy very senior positions now.

I'm not confident that Malik has much of a life expectancy if he tries to spill the beans.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At this point, I’m not confident he has much life expectancy even if he doesn’t spill the beans.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's not a Pakistani box.

Saleem Malik knows which players in the other international teams - probably all of the teams - were on the take in the 1990's. Many of them occupy very senior positions now.

I'm not confident that Malik has much of a life expectancy if he tries to spill the beans.
    Hence why he must be given presidential level security. If anything happens to Malik in light of these revelations. It will be grounds for reopening the Qayyum inquiry again. Murder trials in the west get reopened whenever key witnesses are murdered.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Just before that test series, a match was played in Sri Lanka between Australia and Pakistan for Singer Cup. In that match, both the teams were trying to lose but eventually Pakistan succeeded (in losing the match). Salim Malik was captain there as well.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This gentleman, who is being presented as saviour of Pakistan cricket, has successfully destroyed and tainted our 90s generation. He is one of the Pioneers of match fixing in Pakistan ( finals of Mandela trophy, New Zealand series in 94)

I don't know why but recently a campaign was started in favour of Salim Malik but actually these people have put his life in danger. If anyone remember here, one character of justice qayyum report was later on murdered in South Africa.

There are plenty of good batting coaches available in the world, why do people want this controversial figure back in PCB setup.

I hope both ICC and PCB ignore him as there is absolutely no need to open the Pandora's box.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

My only criticism would be, why do this now and not many years ago.
    He says in that video that he knows nothing other than cricket and cricket is his bread and butter. These lines to me indicate that he is struggling financially. That's not surprising because the big money in cricket has only recently come along and even now, Pakistani cricketers earn less than their counterparts across the world.

This is all quite sad. A grown middle aged man who is a household name in Pakistan and once was a shining star for his country is now reduced to begging for forgiveness so that he can make ends meet. This should serve as a lesson to all young cricketers tempted by corruption - it might give you short term gain but those few thousands will not sustain you for life. You are far better off sticking to the right path and not risking your entire livelihood.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    New Zealand series (last ODI which was lost due to a crumbling top order), Zimbabwe series (offers to book which never cane through), South Africa tour, all in 1994. I would encourage anyone curious to look at the scorecards of these matches as well as check out Rashid Latif’s interview about these matches when he was invited on ARY right after the 2010 scandal.

And let’s not single out just Malik as the scapegoat. Rashid mentioned these matches saying that to fix, you need 5-6 big players to underperform. You simply need to take a look at the scorecards to see who he’s talking about. Akram Raza, Malik, and Wasim just make three players in the side. Who are the other two-three?

Here is the scorecard for the 5th New Zealand ODI which Rashid claims was definitely fixed:

Saeed Anwar 2 (21)
    Aamer Sohail 1 (8)
    Inzamam ul Haq 4 (24)
    Asif Mujtaba 3 (21)
    Saleem Malik 15 (34)
    Basit Ali 57 (85)
    Rashid Latif 9 (21)
    Wasim Akram 7 (23)

145 all out, chased by NZ in 34 overs

Remove the names we know are already innocent or guilty and see for yourself who remains. Here’s the lineup for the 2nd Final of the Mandela Trophy before Latif retired:

Aamer Sohail 0 (3)
    Saeed Anwar 3 (14)
    Ijaz Ahmed 4 (4)
    Inzamam ul Haq 19 (19)
    Saleem Malik 12 (20)
    Asif Mujtaba 24 (57)

109 all out chasing 266

If Saleem Malik comes forward, the entire system will be overhauled. These players are now coaches, commentators, selectors, and run the PCB. No one is ready to let that happen. This is why Saleem Malik’s truths will never see the light of day.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    New Zealand series (last ODI which was lost due to a crumbling top order), Zimbabwe series (offers to book which never cane through), South Africa tour, all in 1994. I would encourage anyone curious to look at the scorecards of these matches as well as check out Rashid Latif’s interview about these matches when he was invited on ARY right after the 2010 scandal.

And let’s not single out just Malik as the scapegoat. Rashid mentioned these matches saying that to fix, you need 5-6 big players to underperform. You simply need to take a look at the scorecards to see who he’s talking about. Akram Raza, Malik, and Wasim just make three players in the side. Who are the other two-three?

Here is the scorecard for the 5th New Zealand ODI which Rashid claims was definitely fixed:

Saeed Anwar 2 (21)
    Aamer Sohail 1 (8)
    Inzamam ul Haq 4 (24)
    Asif Mujtaba 3 (21)
    Saleem Malik 15 (34)
    Basit Ali 57 (85)
    Rashid Latif 9 (21)
    Wasim Akram 7 (23)

145 all out, chased by NZ in 34 overs

Remove the names we know are already innocent or guilty and see for yourself who remains. Here’s the lineup for the 2nd Final of the Mandela Trophy before Latif retired:

Aamer Sohail 0 (3)
    Saeed Anwar 3 (14)
    Ijaz Ahmed 4 (4)
    Inzamam ul Haq 19 (19)
    Saleem Malik 12 (20)
    Asif Mujtaba 24 (57)

109 all out chasing 266

If Saleem Malik comes forward, the entire system will be overhauled. These players are now coaches, commentators, selectors, and run the PCB. No one is ready to let that happen. This is why Saleem Malik’s truths will never see the light of day.
    It is a matter of undisputable fact that Justice Qayyum did not just convict Saleem Malik, he also found the following men guilty and fined them:

Saeed Anwar
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Ijaz Ahmed
    Waqar Younis
    Wasim Akram
    Akram Raza
    Mushtaq Ahmed
    Ata-ur-Rehman

I find it baffling that Pakistan allows any of those convicted men to participate in domestic or international cricket. And if you rehabilitate Saleem Malik, people are very likely to start to look at them too.

I would add that he also commented on Rameez Raja's apparent inability to remember events.
    Last edited by Junaids; 27th April 2020 at 10:01.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    He says in that video that he knows nothing other than cricket and cricket is his bread and butter. These lines to me indicate that he is struggling financially. That's not surprising because the big money in cricket has only recently come along and even now, Pakistani cricketers earn less than their counterparts across the world.

This is all quite sad. A grown middle aged man who is a household name in Pakistan and once was a shining star for his country is now reduced to begging for forgiveness so that he can make ends meet. This should serve as a lesson to all young cricketers tempted by corruption - it might give you short term gain but those few thousands will not sustain you for life. You are far better off sticking to the right path and not risking your entire livelihood.
    Malik is not struggling financially. He has a construction business and he has also been helping Pakistani Cricketers who have struggled financially. He most likely is desperately itching to get involved with Cricket after a 20 year ban.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Let me also add that Justice Qayyum's report makes the following dynamite observation:

"Rashid Latif has stated in his statement that the whole team in New Zealand other than Asif Mujtaba and possibly Aamir Sohail was involved in match-fixing."

It is a sickening comment, and possibly explains why some of the players have taken a markedly different direction in life since then.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Trust me, if anything happens to Salim Malik it will open an even bigger pandoras box. The ICC is going to insist on a full thorough disclosure and an explanation of the interview he gave in a sting operation to the NOTW in 2000

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, i do not want any negative headlines about Pakistan cricket. Decade has passed since Misbah has cleaned up the reputation of Pakistani cricket. There is no point bringing Saleem Malik back in PCB and also it does not bring any benefit to mention Qayyum report. For me, it should start from not allowing Sharjeel back in the hunt and by forgiving Saleem Malik. We have forgotten him, not forgiven him and he can make his livelihood by other means not cricket. Should have done something better with his life instead of resor

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    If Malik talks, this opens a huge can of worms for the PCB and ICC. Many names could be revealed, names who are regarded as heroes, regarded as legends.

This could get messy, unless it is brushed under the carpet with Malik given some money to not go public.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He's a disgrace. I felt he could have been the best captain since Imran and really given the aussies a run for their money. He was one of my favourite batsmen but he betrayed us. And we all know what wasim and co did, who can forget the 1999 final? saeeds weird desire to change his grip? cmon..Wasim has always been dodgy..as a crciketer he is a legend no doubt but all of us watching cricket and growing up with it after the Khan era knew what was going on..

They betrayed us and their country..but its too late now. malik should move along. he had his chance..as deniro said to stallone in copland "You had your chance and you blew it" ,,,pay him off and tell him to go away..

I'm tired of hearing our cricket team, especially the new ones be the only ones who get pilloried when we know all the bookies are Indian, we know aussies have been involved, we know there were rumours from the aljazeera investigation of aussies and english players involved in skullduggery that didnt come to anything. Why should we push our team into the mire again..??

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    If Malik talks, this opens a huge can of worms for the PCB and ICC. Many names could be revealed, names who are regarded as heroes, regarded as legends.

This could get messy, unless it is brushed under the carpet with Malik given some money to not go public.
    Very much so.

In the days when Channel Nine covered the cricket here in Australia, I used to stay in the same hotels in Adelaide and Brisbane as them, and I’d bump into their commentary team at breakfast in the lounges.

I may play dumb, but as a young doctor I dabbled in cricket writing to earn a little pocket money. I’m well aware not just of which Pakistanis were on the take but which foreign players were too - it wasn’t hard to work it out in matches like the Singer Cup match in Sri Lanka which both Pakistan and Australia were clearly trying to lose.

So every time Id bump into the suspect players at breakfast my heart used to sink a little. It is just awful to think how high some of the players have risen up the cricket establishment.

The Qayyum Report is on the most famous cricket website in full, and it is as high quality as the Amir/Asif/Butt one, rather than a joke like the Sharjeel report which reads as if it was written by a baboon.

The saddest part of the report refers to Rameez Raja’s testimony. Numerous other witnesses described corrupt events which occurred in the dressing room when he was a member of the team. Yet Qayyum wrote that “he maintained that the only incident in his entire career when the players were accused of match-fixing was during the tour of Sri Lanka in 1994.”

Equally worrying was Intikhab Alam’s testimony to Qayyum that during the Mandela Cup Final in South Africa he was told that “Saleem Malik, Wasim Akram, Inzamam, Basit Ali, Ijaz Ahmed, Mushtaq Ahmed, Moin Khan and Waqar Younis had sold themselves”. He stated that the only clean members of the team were “Rameez Raja, Aaqib Javed and Aamir Sohail”.

Then again, Javed Miandad testified that “once Mushtaq Ahmed had confessed to him about his involvement in match-fixing”.

These are not wild accusations. This is sworn testimony to a senior judge about Pakistan matchfixing, and is taken directly from the Qayyum Report. It has been in full view in the public domain for almost 20 years.

Mind you, the Qayyum Report is devastating to the Australians too. It deposed three of them, and observed that the same Singer Cup match in which both Australia and Pakistan were clearly trying to lose was the one for which Mark Waugh and Shane Warne were paid money to provide “weather reports”.

If your stomach turned reading the publically available information that I just listed, imagine how you would feel if Saleem Malik admits who really did what!
    Last edited by Junaids; 27th April 2020 at 15:48.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Why should the truth be brushed under the carpet? I want these legends to be punished.

I want the ICC to threaten Pakistan with serious consequences including being permanently banned from the ICC if they do anything of this kind. I will be interested to see if Ehsan Mani, Wasim Khan or the patron in chief Imran Khan agree to any under the table cover up.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Very much so.

In the days when Channel Nine covered the cricket here in Australia, I used to stay in the same hotels in Adelaide and Brisbane as them, and I’d bump into their commentary team at breakfast in the lounges.

I may play dumb, but as a young doctor I dabbled in cricket writing to earn a little pocket money. I’m well aware not just of which Pakistanis were on the take but which foreign players were too - it wasn’t hard to work it out in matches like the Singer Cup match in Sri Lanka which both Pakistan and Australia were clearly trying to lose.

So every time Id bump into the suspect players at breakfast my heart used to sink a little. It is just awful to think how high some of the players have risen up the cricket establishment.

The Qayyum Report is on the most famous cricket website in full, and it is as high quality as the Amir/Asif/Butt one, rather than a joke like the Sharjeel report which reads as if it was written by a baboon.

The saddest part of the report refers to Rameez Raja’s testimony. Numerous other witnesses described corrupt events which occurred in the dressing room when he was a member of the team. Yet Qayyum wrote that “he maintained that the only incident in his entire career when the players were accused of match-fixing was during the tour of Sri Lanka in 1994.”

Equally worrying was Intikhab Alam’s testimony to Qayyum that during the Mandela Cup Final in South Africa he was told that “Saleem Malik, Wasim Akram, Inzamam, Basit Ali, Ijaz Ahmed, Mushtaq Ahmed, Moin Khan and Waqar Younis had sold themselves”. He stated that the only clean members of the team were “Rameez Raja, Aaqib Javed and Aamir Sohail”.

Then again, Javed Miandad testified that “once Mushtaq Ahmed had confessed to him about his involvement in match-fixing”.

These are not wild accusations. This is sworn testimony to a senior judge about Pakistan matchfixing, and is taken directly from the Qayyum Report. It has been in full view in the public domain for almost 20 years.

Mind you, the Qayyum Report is devastating to the Australians too. It deposed three of them, and observed that the same Singer Cup match in which both Australia and Pakistan were clearly trying to lose was the one for which Mark Waugh and Shane Warne were paid money to provide “weather reports”.

If your stomach turned reading the publically available information that I just listed, imagine how you would feel if Saleem Malik admits who really did what!
    The biggest problem with the Qayyum commission is that the judge Malik Qayyum himself has been convicted of corruption and allowing the judiciary to be coerced into giving partial accountability judgements.

That alone is grounds to call for a retrial of the case

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Why should the truth be brushed under the carpet? I want these legends to be punished.

I want the ICC to threaten Pakistan with serious consequences including being permanently banned from the ICC if they do anything of this kind. I will be interested to see if Ehsan Mani, Wasim Khan or the patron in chief Imran Khan agree to any under the table cover up.
    I suspect that Malik would implicate the captains of at least five other countries during his career. And that’s just off the top of my head.

Do you really think that the ICC wants that?

International cricket in the 1990’s was like American wrestling: most white ball matches were pre-arranged affairs and so were a lot of Tests. But those players now occupy senior roles in most countries.

I suspect it would be more convenient outside Pakistan for Saleem Malik to meet an unfortunate accident like Hansie Cronje than it would be for him to talk.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I suspect that Malik would implicate the captains of at least five other countries during his career. And that’s just off the top of my head.

Do you really think that the ICC wants that?

International cricket in the 1990’s was like American wrestling: most white ball matches were pre-arranged affairs and so were a lot of Tests. But those players now occupy senior roles in most countries.

I suspect it would be more convenient outside Pakistan for Saleem Malik to meet an unfortunate accident like Hansie Cronje than it would be for him to talk.
    Lol, then why is the ICC insisting on Malik explaining the nature of his meetings in England in 2000 if they want him to keep his mouth shut? If they don't want Malik to talk then maybe they should allow him to get back into Cricket Coaching without any hurdles then

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Salim Malik Ready to Work with ICC, PCB for their Clean Chit

Though Malik had his life ban lifted in 2008 by a lower district and sessions court, the PCB has not allowed him back into its fold.

PTI |April 27, 2020, 12:08 PM IST

Tainted former captain Salim Malik is ready to co-operate with the International Cricket Council and Pakistan Cricket Board to get their clearance, which will allow him to earn a living from the game.

In a video message, the former Test captain, who was banned in 2000 for life for match-fixing by the PCB on the recommendations of the Justice (Retd) Malik Qayyum judicial commission report, also apologised to the nation and his fans for his actions.

Though Malik had his life ban lifted in 2008 by a lower district and sessions court, the PCB has not allowed him back into its fold.

The 57-year-old said he was ready to cooperate unconditionally with the ICC and PCB and complete all rehab programs which a player has to undergo for a comeback.

"Purely on human rights ground I think I also deserve a second chance to earn my livelihood from cricket which has always been my bread and butter," said Malik.

Malik said when the board could allow other guilty players to make a comeback, he should also be given the same opportunity.

Tafazzul Rizvi, legal advisor of the PCB, said it was good to hear Malik offering his full and unconditional cooperation to them and the ICC.

"For any player desirous of wanting to make a comeback the only way is to fully cooperate with his board under the anti-corruption laws."

"First of all Salim Malik should respond to the questions we had asked him in April, 2011 regarding the meetings he held in London, Rizvi said.

Rizvi said the board had also sent Malik the transcripts of the meeting which were forward to them by the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit.

"Malik should give explanation of these meetings and then we can take his case forward."

According to a reliable source in the board, Malik has not got clearance to make a comeback into cricket in coaching or any other capacity because he has still not responded to a PCB notice issued to him in 2013 over the nature of his meetings in the UK.

"After the board banned him for life in 2000 on the recommendations of the Justice (retd) Malik Qayyum judicial commission, Malik had some meetings in the UK the transcripts of which were obtained by the ICC and which raised doubts over the purpose of these meetings," the source told PTI.

The source said after Malik had applied to the board to give him permission to work as a batting consultant at the National Cricket Academy around 2010-11, the board had then issued him a notice to first explain the nature of his meetings.

"Malik to date has not responded to the notice and that is why the PCB and ICC are not willing to give any clear statement on why Malik is not allowed to engage in any cricket activities," the source said.

Malik represented Pakistan in 103 Tests and 283 One-day Internationals. He is considered among the finest batsmen to have come out of Pakistan.

Link: https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...t-2594187.html

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its quite an ironic day for Pakistani cricket that even while Umar Akmal is being banned for three years, Saleem Malik is likely to get a clean chit due to his involvement in match fixing. Umar Akmal has already an argument ready in his pocket that if Amir, Malik and Sharjeel can come back, why cannot same amends can be made for me. Only thing that Umar Akmal has not done is the tearful apology and showed remorse.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get him a youtube channel and get him to start talking, i for one am looking forward to hearing once and for all what most on here have speculated and suspected through the years.

The look on his face after this drop tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0viU8NkUP0

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Salim Malik news is ludicrous. What qualifies Salim Malik to automatically become a coach at some level?

Also, his apology makes me think that he doesn’t understand what he did wrong.

Finally, I will say that Salim Malik was banned unfairly keeping in mind how many ppl got away with the same crime.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

What we want and reality is very different.

Plenty has been brushed under the carpet in the past and plenty more will be in the future.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    PCB Lawyer today "First Saleem Malik has to respond to the pending query, then the matter will go to PCB's anti-corruption court"

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Depends on what ICC's standards of admissible proof are. They still have the Mazhar Mahmood 2000 NOTW Sting tapes. Can Malik produce 20-30 year old bank statements, deposit slips, contact names of bookies who are willing to come forward and testify? If he can sound convincing, the ICC could be compelled to take a second look at things in more detail.
    Haha lots will happen. You don’t need proof to sully someone’s reputation. Once you open Pandora’s box, the headlines will blow up, names will be destroyed, and the team’s reputation will be in tatters for the fourth time since 1999.

No proof needed. The more likely outcome however is he will keep his mouth shut and try to make a graceful comeback. Surely he has come up with a convincing story after 20 years of silence.
    Lots of emotions and excitement in this thread.

First - Saleem won't talk, and even if he does, it will just be his word against the other's.

So, no need to get so excited. Nothing is happening and there's no proof either.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He deserves another chance. One of the few senior Pakistani cricketers with a very good head on his shoulders. PCB can utilize him

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    He deserves another chance. One of the few senior Pakistani cricketers with a very good head on his shoulders. PCB can utilize him
    Yeah just like Sharjeel, Amir and in future Umar Akmal deserve another chance. They all had that intangible "talent".

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    That same head on his shoulders thought matchfixing was a good idea...

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Crazy that the first set of names now run Pakistan Cricket, while Aaqib Javed gets hate from fans, Aamir Sohail is becoming excluded from commentating entirely, and instead of Rashid Latif, it’s Wasim Akram running the Karachi Kings!

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salim Malik should come out clean in regards to who fixed what in the 90’s. And be super honest about it.

Pak team greatly underachieved in the 90’s because of match fixers, politics and groupings. He should let us know what really went on behind the scenes.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    One other aspect to think about is the mobsters who will have been connected to the players back in the day, who will also not want their own or their players identities revealing.

This will not be a comfortable situation for Malik.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    One other aspect to think about is the mobsters who will have been connected to the players back in the day, who will also not want their own or their players identities revealing.

This will not be a comfortable situation for Malik.
    Hence he must be given presidential level security. Malik via the video has already declared an intent in public to make a disclosure, the ICC will have to follow up on this. If anything happens to Malik, it will be grounds for reopening the Qayyum inquiry.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I always thought Basit Ali was clean

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He definitely fixed a match or two under Salim Malik. Pressured or whatever. Felt guilty and retired at age 25 even though some said he was the heir to Miandad’s legacy as Pakistan’s leading bat. I think he’s an honest man though. He gave up his career rather than stay in a squad that fixed matches continuously. Takes courage to do that.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he should be given a second chance. He has apologized. He can pass on his knowledge to future cricketers.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nice try Saleem but too late. Probably asked his former team mates to do a youtube video for him to get the campaign running or else he’s going to expose them as well.

It makes me sick that people want him back just because others have been pardoned. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Now he remembers that cricket is his bread and butter lol. I remember hearing one journalist that he advised Saleem to go with this argument to save his career but he never took it seriously.

If cricket is his bread and butter, what has he been eating for last 20 years? Don’t admit and apologize when all doors are closed on you.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The guy has a nut loose. He behaves and says things as if he was kidnapped by Aliens and then released back to the world

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Read the Qayyum Report.

At first, Basit Ali was one of the only clean players - along with Rashid Latif, Aamir Sohail and also two fringe players - Aaqib Javed and Rameez Raja.

Rather like Amir and Butt, at some point he seems to have got sick of seeing his teammates paid handsomely to underperform, and he became involved himself. Qayyum only spared him a long ban on the basis that he had retired, and he wrote that he must never be allowed to occupy any future role in cricket in Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazbati View Post
    Nice try Saleem but too late. Probably asked his former team mates to do a youtube video for him to get the campaign running or else he’s going to expose them as well.

It makes me sick that people want him back just because others have been pardoned. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Now he remembers that cricket is his bread and butter lol. I remember hearing one journalist that he advised Saleem to go with this argument to save his career but he never took it seriously.

If cricket is his bread and butter, what has he been eating for last 20 years? Don’t admit and apologize when all doors are closed on you.
    I dont think its a bread and butter issue, he probably misses the game and is dying to get into coaching.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I dont think its a bread and butter issue, he probably misses the game and is dying to get into coaching.
    I doubt it. After seeing how Butt, Amir and Asif and now Sharjeel are welcomed back, he realizes he’s the only one who missed the trick. Even Azhar, Jadeja and rest of the crooks have worked in some capacity related to the game or appear on tv shows.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazbati View Post
    I doubt it. After seeing how Butt, Amir and Asif and now Sharjeel are welcomed back, he realizes he’s the only one who missed the trick. Even Azhar, Jadeja and rest of the crooks have worked in some capacity related to the game or appear on tv shows.
    Thats what the point is, and using the same rationale , Umar Akmal is going to be back. I mean why should we give a damn, and do you think there was such an indescribable evidence against these people, they would have kept on denying it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pakistan’s former Test cricketer Saleem Malik, in a teleconference on Tuesday, claimed that he had not received any notice from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) or the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The 57-year-old, who was banned for life in 2000 due to involvement in match-fixing on the recommendations of the Justice Qayyum Report, reiterated that he was cleared by a Lahore Civil Court in 2008.

“I am surprised at how my apology was presented. I had not apologised for match-fixing but for unintentionally making the fans unhappy. In 2008, both the PCB and the court had decided that I was not guilty,” said Malik. “I have not received any notices from either the ICC or the PCB till date. If the PCB contacts me with regards to my meetings in London, which are currently being talked about, I am ready to provide an explanation.”

Malik questioned why he was being treated differently than other players who were allowed to hold jobs in the PCB and continue coaching after being named in the Justice Qayyum Report.

“According to the Justice Qayyum Report, players that paid their fines are now working in the PCB or coaching. Why am I being treated like a stepson even after being cleared? I feel like I am not a citizen of this country. I think someone, who played with me, might have gotten hurt which is why I am being treated this way,” he said.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PCB to consider Salim Malik’s plea as per ICC rules

Abdul Mohi Shah

April 28, 2020

ISLAMABAD: Salim Malik plea for reprieve could only be considered if he fulfills all the requirements inked in over 20 pages of questionnaire handed over to him in 2011-12 by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) under the instructions of game’s governing body i.e. ICC.

PCB legal adviser Tafazil Rizvi in a talk with The News while welcoming Malik apology, said that ball had long been in his court. “He was handed over a lengthy over 20 pages questionnaire almost nine years back. He has yet to get back and never submitted replies. It is pertinent on him to first submit satisfactory replies and then expect some positive things,” Rizvi said.

When asked whether he would be having that very documents with him even now, the PCB legal adviser said those were very important papers and he must be having even now. “If not, he can demand a copy of these.”

The ICC Anti-Corruption unit is curious on Malik’s repeated meetings with suspects during his playing days. Why he had arranged these meetings and how many other cricketers were part of that group? were some of the very important questions, the ICC wanted to get from the cricketer. It has been learnt that there are very good chances that ICC Unit might conduct interview with Malik once he submit the answers of queries. “Malik has to fulfill all the requirements before expecting any relief from the ICC or for that matter from the PCB.”

Only the other day Salim Malik apologized to the nation and his fans over his involvement in match fixing and betting following 19 long years, saying he was ready to share the details as required by the game’s governing body ICC in a questioner forwarded to him in 2011-12.

“I am sorry what I have done almost 19 years back and I am ready to cooperate fully with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and ICC. I deserve a second chance as all other cricketers were given,” he said.

Malik, 57 was banned for life in 2000. He however was given reprieve by the court of law in 2008 but never was considered seriously for any position by the PCB. The Board kept on saying that without getting any positive signals from the ICC, Malik’s appointment in any capacity was not possible.

Link: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/651...-per-icc-rules

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB to consider Salim Malik’s plea as per ICC rules

Abdul Mohi Shah

April 28, 2020

ISLAMABAD: Salim Malik plea for reprieve could only be considered if he fulfills all the requirements inked in over 20 pages of questionnaire handed over to him in 2011-12 by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) under the instructions of game’s governing body i.e. ICC.

PCB legal adviser Tafazil Rizvi in a talk with The News while welcoming Malik apology, said that ball had long been in his court. “He was handed over a lengthy over 20 pages questionnaire almost nine years back. He has yet to get back and never submitted replies. It is pertinent on him to first submit satisfactory replies and then expect some positive things,” Rizvi said.

When asked whether he would be having that very documents with him even now, the PCB legal adviser said those were very important papers and he must be having even now. “If not, he can demand a copy of these.”

The ICC Anti-Corruption unit is curious on Malik’s repeated meetings with suspects during his playing days. Why he had arranged these meetings and how many other cricketers were part of that group? were some of the very important questions, the ICC wanted to get from the cricketer. It has been learnt that there are very good chances that ICC Unit might conduct interview with Malik once he submit the answers of queries. “Malik has to fulfill all the requirements before expecting any relief from the ICC or for that matter from the PCB.”

Only the other day Salim Malik apologized to the nation and his fans over his involvement in match fixing and betting following 19 long years, saying he was ready to share the details as required by the game’s governing body ICC in a questioner forwarded to him in 2011-12.

“I am sorry what I have done almost 19 years back and I am ready to cooperate fully with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and ICC. I deserve a second chance as all other cricketers were given,” he said.

Malik, 57 was banned for life in 2000. He however was given reprieve by the court of law in 2008 but never was considered seriously for any position by the PCB. The Board kept on saying that without getting any positive signals from the ICC, Malik’s appointment in any capacity was not possible.

Link: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/651...-per-icc-rules
    You can see his face and there is not even a shred of remorse over there. He is more worried about how others are getting the free ride and I am not instead of being remorseful. Wonder why Inzi and Saqlain were all supportive to him all of a sudden.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    You can see his face and there is not even a shred of remorse over there. He is more worried about how others are getting the free ride and I am not instead of being remorseful. Wonder why Inzi and Saqlain were all supportive to him all of a sudden.
    Agreed, like most thieves he's only upset that he was caught.

I had not apologised for match-fixing but for unintentionally making the fans unhappy.
    Is this a statement from someone genuinely remorseful ?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar claims he is going to post an interview with Salim Malik on his youtube channel in May discussing everything including match fixing in the 90's. I doubt it, what happened to his interview with Salman Butt?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Salim Malik says he did not receive any PCB, ICC notices

Staff Report

APRIL 29, 2020

LAHORE: Pakistan’s former Test cricketer Saleem Malik, in a teleconference on Tuesday, claimed that he had not received any notice from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) or the International Cricket Council (ICC). The 57-year-old, who was banned for life in 2000 due to involvement in match-fixing on the recommendations of the Justice Qayyum Report, reiterated that he was cleared by a Lahore Civil Court in 2008. “I am surprised at how my apology was presented. I had not apologised for match-fixing but for unintentionally making the fans unhappy. In 2008, both the PCB and the court had decided that I was not guilty,” said Malik. “I have not received any notices from either the ICC or the PCB till date. If the PCB contacts me with regards to my meetings in London, which are currently being talked about, I am ready to provide an explanation.”

Malik questioned why he was being treated differently than other players who were allowed to hold jobs in the PCB and continue coaching after being named in the Justice Qayyum Report. “According to the Justice Qayyum Report, players that paid their fines are now working in the PCB or coaching. Why am I being treated like a stepson even after being cleared? I feel like I am not a citizen of this country. I think someone, who played with me, might have gotten hurt which is why I am being treated this way,” he said. Earlier, according to media reports, the PCB said that it wanted Malik to respond to the notice issued to him regarding his suspicious meetings. “Malik, to date, has not responded to the notice and that is why the PCB and the ICC are not willing to give any clear statement on why Malik is not allowed to engage in any cricket activities,” the reports said.

Link: https://dailytimes.com.pk/604010/sal...b-icc-notices/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LAHORE: Former chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Arif Ali Khan Abbasi has supported ex-national side captain Salim Malik and said he has already paid a huge price for the match-fixing offence and has the right to perform his role in the game of cricket.

Talking to Dawn, Abbasi said Fakharuddin G Ebraheem — one of the celebrated jurists of the country — had exonerated Salim in the allegations levelled against him by three Australian cricketers Shane Warne, Mark Waugh and Tim May in 1995.

“But even then he was banned for life by Justice Qayyum commission in 1999. Neither Cricket Australia, nor the ICC match officials have reported any wrong incident in the 1994 series between the two countries. But after six months Warne, Waugh and May raised the allegations that Salim tried to bribe them to under-perform,” Abbasi recalled.

Abbasi said Justice Fakharuddin had cleared Salim because the allegations were made after six months and furthermore no solid evidence were produced.

“Even Cricket Australia also imposed ban on its three cricketers besides some cash penalty for making false allegations,” Abbasi said.

It may also be mentioned here that both Warne and Waugh were fined by Cricket Australia for leaking some information about the match to bookies in 1994 in a tournament played in Sri Lanka.

He said the allegations by the three Australian players were not substantiated and yet too much propaganda was made against Salim who was a successful captain of Pakistan with a high success rate.

“We have a long legacy of spoiling our talent and no one can ignore the services of Salim he has rendered for Pakistan cricket as a player and captain,” Abbasi said. “But I don’t know who we are pleasing by defaming our own celebrated cricketers,” he said.

Abbasi insisted that since a legal court had also lifted the ban on Salim, he should be free to play his role as a coach.

He reminded that even former chairman PCB Ijaz Butt had appointed Salim as a leading official in the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in 2010.

However, to put the facts right, it may be mentioned here that while Ijaz did appoint Salim at the NCA, he withdrew that decision after just a few hours since the media had dubbed the appointment as against the recommendation of Justice Qayyum’s commission report which had put a life ban on the middle-order batsman.

Abbasi said Salim was one of the finest cricketers in the world at his peak and a conspiracy was hatched against him, which resulted in the country losing a big star. “It is quite unfortunate that after 20 years, Salim is being maligned again.”

Abbasi also said that the PCB lawyer Taffazul Rizvi had written to Salim saying that whatever had happened to him (Salim) was because he had annoyed someone big in the PCB. “I still remember that Salim had replied that if he had annoyed anyone, he wanted to say sorry for it.”

He concluded by saying that Salim is not answerable to anyone as he has been cleared by all authorities.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1554050/cl...s-coach-abbasi

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think its a fair deal, a full complete disclosure of every match fixed, the players involved, an apology, remorse in exchange for permission to be a batting coach and opening his academy