Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Shoaib Akhtar's lawyer responds to defamation notice from Tafazzul Rizvi

Shoaib Akhtar comments about the Tafazzul Rizvi saga:

"The recent statement from me regarding lawyers was not directed at the legal fraternity or community in Pakistan"

"My statement was about one lawyer with whom I and others have had prior experience of dealing with"

"I only spoke about PCB legal Counsel Tafazzul Rizvi who has twice lost court cases against me"

"It is my freedom of speech which allows me to express the opinion that I have doubts about his competency"

"To send me a legal notice for this is beyond my understanding"

"Anyways, I stand by whatever I said about him and I and my legal team will give a befitting reply to this very soon"

"The case which was lost against Younis Khan was also lost by Tafazzul Rizvi"

"His legal performances are not satisfactory at all"

"In 2008 when a case was filed against me, Mr. Manto a reputable laywer fought my case and The Late Fakhruddin Ebrahim was judge for it and he gave me a clean chit saying that there was no issue with Shoaib"

"I respect the legal fraternity because Pakistan's foundations were laid by lawyers who were with the Quaid-e-Azam and they were people like Allama Iqbal - its these people with black suits who help lay the basis for Pakistan"

"To misquote my statements and to say that I am against lawyers' community is wrong - my only view is that Tafazzul Rizvi based on my experience with him is incompetent"

"In 2008 I made a statement in favour of the Lawyers Movement and they have always been supportive of me and there is a big fan following for me in that community"

"Its my freedom of speech that allows me to say that I dont feel he is competent, in the same way you can say to me that Shoaib Akhtar is not a good bowler then you cannot give a legal notice to someone for saying that"

"So please don't get fooled by people who are deliberately misquoting me"
    Last edited by Saj; 1st May 2020 at 23:24.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Tiger!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done Tafazul Rizvi, he wanted to make a name out of himself by taking on Pakistani cricketers, now he finds himself in a real dogfight!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"The recent statement from me regarding lawyers was not directed at the legal fraternity or community in Pakistan"

"My statement was about one lawyer with whom I and others have had prior experience of dealing with"

"I only spoke about PCB legal Counsel Tafazzul Rizvi who has twice lost court cases against me"

"It is my freedom of speech which allows me to express the opinion that I have doubts about his competency"

"Anyways, I stand by whatever I said about him and I and my legal team will give a befitting reply to this very soon"

"In 2008 when a case was filed against me, Mr. Manto a reputable laywer fought my case and The Late Fakhruddin Ebrahim was judge for it and he gave me a clean chit saying that there was no issue with Shoaib"

"I respect the legal fraternity because Pakistan's foundations were laid by lawyers who were with the Quaid-e-Azam and they were people like Allama Iqbal - its these people with black suits who help lay the basis for Pakistan"

"To misquote my statements and to say that I am against lawyers' community is wrong - my only view is that Tafazzul Rizvi based on my experience with him is incompetent"

"In 2008 I made a statement in favour of the Lawyers Movement and they have always been supportive of me and there is a big fan following for me in that community"

"Its my freedom of speech that allows me to say that I dont feel he is competent, in the same way you can say to me that Shoaib Akhtar is not a good bowler then you cannot give a legal notice to someone for saying that"

"So please dont get fooled by people who are deliberately misquoting me"
    Hang in there Shoaib Buddy! Tafazul Rizvi will do immense damage to the Rizvi firm even if he somehow wins.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quotes from Akhtar lawyer Salman Niazi

"I am professional lawyer and its my job to defend the rights of my client and to protect his interests"

"Shoaib Akhtar contacted me and explained to me the issue and I have decided to accept the case"

"In a defamation case, if someone expresses their opinion and they feel its correct, then the defence of that is justification of truth"

"We will go to court as Shoaib Akhtar Sahib stands by whatever he has said; He will substantiate whatever he has said by use of evidence and witnesses"

"First we will give a befitting reply to the notice and then we will see when it goes to court"

"We are hopeful and Shoaib Akhtar has said he has all the material to prove himself right"

"There is no time limit on a defamation case; If we pursue this case aggressively then the case can be decided quickly and to exnoerate Shoaib Akhtar from all charges filed against him"
    Last edited by MenInG; 1st May 2020 at 22:14.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The case shows Tafazzul Rizvi's incompetence as a lawyer. Rizvi should understand that defamation cases do not stand on opinions rather than facts.

As long as Shoaib didn't say anything that can be proven false, this case does not have any standing. What a waste of money this Rizvi is from the PCB.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizvi has put PCB in a really awkward position here. He will have to ask them to stand as witnesses for him in order to defeat Shoaib Akhtar in court. PCB will have to go at war against one of the biggest brands in its history and this is no exaggeration.

Hoping for PCB (Wasim Khan) to be sensible here and put a leash on Tafazul Rizvi’s personal ego here. The man has continued his rampage on destroying Pakistan’s global image through his incompetent practice as a lawyer!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by world cup captain View Post
    The case shows Tafazzul Rizvi's incompetence as a lawyer. Rizvi should understand that defamation cases do not stand on opinions rather than facts.

As long as Shoaib didn't say anything that can be proven false, this case does not have any standing. What a waste of money this Rizvi is from the PCB.
    Accusations of malpractice and claiming a lawyer has lost every case they've worked on are quite clearly accusations and not opinions.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Rizvi has put PCB in a really awkward position here. He will have to ask them to stand as witnesses for him in order to defeat Shoaib Akhtar in court. PCB will have to go at war against one of the biggest brands in its history and this is no exaggeration.

Hoping for PCB (Wasim Khan) to be sensible here and put a leash on Tafazul Rizvi’s personal ego here. The man has continued his rampage on destroying Pakistan’s global image through his incompetent practice as a lawyer!
    There isn't a need for the PCB to be used as a witness, the burden of proof falls on Shoaib to prove his accusations of malpractice and a 0% success rate are true.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Accusations of malpractice and claiming a lawyer has lost every case they've worked on are quite clearly accusations and not opinions.
    A judge is not stupid when it comes to deciding the context in which a person expressed his views.

Shoaib did not record a video in which it seemed as if he is providing legal proof against Rizvi the way Sethi opened his mouth against Akmal
    Last edited by Rana; 1st May 2020 at 17:10.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There isn't a need for the PCB to be used as a witness, the burden of proof falls on Shoaib to prove his accusations of malpractice and a 0% success rate are true.
    I’m not arguing with someone for the sake of it on this forum. You clearly have an agenda against justice

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shoaib did not record a video in which it seemed as if he is providing legal proof against Rizvi the way Sethi opened his mouth against Akmal
    He didn't have to, he pretty clearly fabricated lies that could damage someone's reputation, made even worse by the fact he's a public figure. Whether he made that claim in a legal setting or not has no relevance.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He didn't have to, he pretty clearly fabricated lies that could damage someone's reputation, made even worse by the fact he's a public figure. Whether he made that claim in a legal setting or not has no relevance.
    Cool story.

Let the judge and jury decide

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cool story.

Let the judge and jury decide
    As I've said before, I'd be shocked if this gets before a judge and jury. I give it a pretty short period of time before everything goes quiet and suddenly we don't hear anything more about it.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I've said before, I'd be shocked if this gets before a judge and jury. I give it a pretty short period of time before everything goes quiet and suddenly we don't hear anything more about it.
    Yes I’m expecting Rizvi to pull out now.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am yet to find where Shoaib said Rizvi has lost every case he ever handled. He named multiple cases that Rizvi seems to have lost (I do not know of Rizvi's case history) and if Rizvi won some of the cases Shoaib named, then I see a case. Otherwise, a load of ** from Rizvi.

In Pakistan, lawyers may have a way to win defamation cases that are opinion based but in reality, it should not be happening.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am yet to find where Shoaib said Rizvi has lost every case he ever handled. He named multiple cases that Rizvi seems to have lost (I do not know of Rizvi's case history) and if Rizvi won some of the cases Shoaib named, then I see a case. Otherwise, a load of ** from Rizvi.

In Pakistan, lawyers may have a way to win defamation cases that are opinion based but in reality, it should not be happening.
    "There is not one case that he hasn't lost" - He's pretty clear about it.

"What he does is that he makes the case complicated and takes money from the PCB but getting them entangled with players" - Along with a pretty clear accusation of malpractice.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EXACTLY.

PCB needs to get their house in order, bring in someone else as their counsel.

This guy's ego is not above PCB and the respect that a legend like Shoaib Akhtar deserves.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "There is not one case that he hasn't lost" - He's pretty clear about it.

"What he does is that he makes the case complicated and takes money from the PCB but getting them entangled with players" - Along with a pretty clear accusation of malpractice.
    You are failing to understand language context, unless you do not speak and understand Urdu at all. Rizvi is taking Akhtar’s figure of speech to court and not an absolute statement.

People talk about other professionals in an informal way all the time. “This Guy is the biggest loser in business history”, and the guy who is being described could be a multi billionaire.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Very risky to pick a fight with a lawyer who knows every legal loophole and avenue in the book. I have a feeling that this is going to be about who has the deepest and most powerful connections behind the scenes

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sher da bacha!

Well done Shabby.

This is one man who is bringing it all down by himself.

Get ready to lose another high profile case Rizwi & Rizwi associates

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Very important words.

PCB must now stand neutral and let Shabby settle this out with Rizwi.

If by any means PCB support Rizwi against Shoaib it will be a betrayal against one of Pakistan's greatest ever cricketers.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    PCB has a lot to lose if this goes wrong.

There could be a lot of information that comes out that the PCB will not want out in the public domain.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

There could be a lot of information that comes out that the PCB will not want out in the public domain.
    The lawyer is suing in his personal capacity. This does not have the PCB's blessings or sanctioning and therefore will have nothing to do with them. However Rizvi being PCB's official external lawyer will be bound by the rules of client confidentiality. Should this go to court then Rizvi will have to resign and distance himself from the PCB and even obtain permission from the PCB to use their documents, information in the case, something they may not be willing to give.

I predict the PCB itself will get involved behind the scenes and make both parties reach an amicable solution.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What exactly is Rizvi’s defence or case against Shoaib?

“No I am not incompetent, and no I have not been doing malpractice in PCB cases...here is my proof and here is the PCB to stand as a witness to this”.

So he has no choice but to drag the PCB into it if he wants to stand a chance. One thing the PCB may want brushed up, or even Rizvi should avoid is that allegation about sub betting companies still operating even though they were not supposed to. This is where the lawyer’s incompetence is indeed for all to see. Why has PCB been let down like this?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The lawyer is suing in his personal capacity. This does not have the PCB's blessings or sanctioning and therefore will have nothing to do with them. However Rizvi being PCB's official external lawyer will be bound by the rules of client confidentiality. Should this go to court then Rizvi will have to resign and distance himself from the PCB and even obtain permission from the PCB to use their documents, information in the case, something they may not be willing to give.

I predict the PCB itself will get involved behind the scenes and make both parties reach an amicable solution.
    Akhtar can bring up issues and cases that he had with PCB that Rizvi may have handled. As I say, this could get ugly for PCB as Akhtar can refer to matters that are probably not even in the public domain and that could embarrass PCB.

Akhtar has nothing to lose really apart from having to give an apology and probably some compensation to Rizvi if he loses.

PCB have a lot more to lose.
    Last edited by Saj; 2nd May 2020 at 00:06.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What exactly is Rizvi’s defence or case against Shoaib?

“No I am not incompetent, and no I have not been doing malpractice in PCB cases...here is my proof and here is the PCB to stand as a witness to this”.

So he has no choice but to drag the PCB into it if he wants to stand a chance. One thing the PCB may want brushed up, or even Rizvi should avoid is that allegation about sub betting companies still operating even though they were not supposed to. This is where the lawyer’s incompetence is indeed for all to see. Why has PCB been let down like this?
    He doesn't have to prove he wasn't engaging in malpractice, Shoaib has to prove he was engaging in malpractice.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He doesn't have to prove he wasn't engaging in malpractice, Shoaib has to prove he was engaging in malpractice.
    And his lawyer will do it for him now, plus tarnish the image of PCB in the process.

Who is Rizvi going to call to his defence when Shoaib’s lawyer unloads the allegations on him?
    Last edited by Rana; 2nd May 2020 at 00:19.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can anyone explain why Rizvi chose to cross examine Umar Akmal at his sentencing even though Akmal had pled guilty?

@Savak @Junaids @Hawkeye

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stop towing the lawyer's line.

Why is he still the counsel even after almost 2 decades? Why is every cricketer saying Shoaib is right?

One thing is clear, PCB would not want this to become a mess, and they should bring in someone new.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can anyone explain why Rizvi chose to cross examine Umar Akmal at his sentencing even though Akmal had pled guilty?

@Savak @Junaids @Hawkeye
    No idea.
    @Junaids can shed some light here.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Akhtar can bring up issues and cases that he had with PCB that Rizvi may have handled. As I say, this could get ugly for PCB as Akhtar can refer to matters that are probably not even in the public domain and that could embarrass PCB.

Akhtar has nothing to lose really apart from having to give an apology and probably some compensation to Rizvi if he loses.

PCB have a lot more to lose.
    The PCB should ask Rizvi to settle this out of court or if he is intent on fighting this further, then to resign as their external lawyer and also sign confidentiality agreements with regards to what can be disclosed and not disclosed.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

@Savak @Junaids @Hawkeye
    Rizvi said "Umar Akmal was agreeing with the charge and also trying to justify it - in law, either you leave yourself at the mercy of the court or you plead your case; the proceedings took an hour or so as Umar repeatedly tried to justify his case"

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizvi said "Umar Akmal was agreeing with the charge and also trying to justify it - in law, either you leave yourself at the mercy of the court or you plead your case; the proceedings took an hour or so as Umar repeatedly tried to justify his case"
    Ok. So I don’t understand this courtroom. Did Umar get a chance besides the day of sentencing to plead/justify his case?

Besides this, the sentencing should just be a procedure in which the judge asks the defendant to stand and listen to the verdict. Why does a prosecution lawyer somehow intercede the proceeding and starts cross examining and arguing defendant?

Extremely shoddy work. Very amateur court room

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok. So I don’t understand this courtroom. Did Umar get a chance besides the day of sentencing to plead/justify his case?

Besides this, the sentencing should just be a procedure in which the judge asks the defendant to stand and listen to the verdict. Why does a prosecution lawyer somehow intercede the proceeding and starts cross examining and arguing defendant?

Extremely shoddy work. Very amateur court room
    Umar rejected his opportunity to have a hearing in advance to justify his case.

He'd have been asked how he plead and from the sounds of the above stated guilty as expected but then continued to try and justify his guilt, indicating a lack of remorse that can contribute to an increased punishment. It's worth noting this is an internal disciplinary tribunal, it's not a court and isn't bound by the usual legal requirements.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar rejected his opportunity to have a hearing in advance to justify his case.

He'd have been asked how he plead and from the sounds of the above stated guilty as expected but then continued to try and justify his guilt, indicating a lack of remorse that can contribute to an increased punishment. It's worth noting this is an internal disciplinary tribunal, it's not a court and isn't bound by the usual legal requirements.
    Thus further exposing how Rizvi was within his notorious realm of malpractice.

Oh boy I hope Shoaib doesn’t back down now and his legal team absolute wipe the floor with this evil in the name of the law!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thus further exposing how Rizvi was within his notorious realm of malpractice.
    Erm, how exactly?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I suspect the PCB told Umar Akmal that if he plead guilty he would get a certain sentence which is why he probably did not turn up with a lawyer and in the end he ended up getting surprised at the hearing.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here goes the motor mouth again spouting more verbal diarrhea. Shoaiby just trying to win points in the media and his blind fans will consider that a win

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Here goes the motor mouth again spouting more verbal diarrhea. Shoaiby just trying to win points in the media and his blind fans will consider that a win
    it's a win-win for Shoaib here.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suspect the PCB told Umar Akmal that if he plead guilty he would get a certain sentence which is why he probably did not turn up with a lawyer and in the end he ended up getting surprised at the hearing.
    Was it Tafazul Rizvi doing all the communication on PCB’s behalf? Before the trial I mean?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol this guy couldn't tell you the difference. He said on another thread..."Rizvi started all this by sending a legal notice"

you're better off shooting yourself in the mouth then trying to get through to a certain group on this forum

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    lol this guy couldn't tell you the difference. He said on another thread..."Rizvi started all this by sending a legal notice"

you're better off shooting yourself in the mouth then trying to get through to a certain group on this forum
    When Akhtar’s lawyer provides the proof on behalf of Shoaib, let’s see Rizvi sab defend himself and let’s see you ‘This Guy’ me then

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netflix should create an original series based on the dramas of pakistan cricket and it’s shenanigans..there is a 1.3B ppl market who will watch it with lots of fun.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    it's a win-win for Shoaib here.
    Well... Izzat toh hai nahi so he's got nothing to lose except a few dollars. But a verdict against him will be good to shut these motor mouth ex players in the long run

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    True master stroke by the PCB

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Akhtar’s lawyer provides the proof on behalf of Shoaib, let’s see Rizvi sab defend himself and let’s see you ‘This Guy’ me then
    Lmao what proof does Shoaib’s lawyer have that no one else does? And proof on what exactly? Please enlighten us.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

@Savak @Junaids @Hawkeye
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    No idea.
    @Junaids can shed some light here.
    This is a further clear error by the PCB and the tainted Judge whom they thought it was reasonable to appoint even though he had retired in disgrace.

Umar Akmal turned up without a lawyer because he had agreed to pleaded guilty and be sentenced without a hearing.

Both the PCB lawyer Rizvi and the disgraced judge Chauhan then ambushed him with questions they were not allowed to pose, because the hearing had been declined by Akmal.

I would not expect a man like Chauhan who was elevated to the bench in defiance of a restraining order to understand the law enough to realise that he was holding an unlawful hearing.

As for Rizvi, I just feel sorry for Wasim Khan. He must have trusted the PCB’s legal counsel and assumed that the appointed judge had a clean reputation. If he reads PakPassion he must be appalled to realise that the PCB’s legal department is so grossly incompetent that a crony was able to appoint Chauhan without any due diligence into his tainted past.

Wasim Khan must be starting to realise that when you take over a cricket board in a place like Pakistan you cannot trust even your most senior employees.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So someone saying someone has lost every case and has done malpractice is opinion now? These are things which can be easily proven or disproven in courts

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I assume that Rizvi is used to intimidating people with this sort of playbook.

If this goes to trial, Shoaib Akhtar will be entitled to bring up any and all legal run-ins that he has had with the PCB during Rizvi’s tenure.

And as soon as he raises the breach of his own medical confidentiality when the PCB disclosed his genital warts to the world, Rizvi is going to realise that some of the punitive actions of the past carry long-term risks.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    So someone saying someone has lost every case and has done malpractice is opinion now? These are things which can be easily proven or disproven in courts
    I can count on my fingertips the high profile cases PCB has lost under Rizvi

- Akhtar/Asif Doping Saga. (Akhtar, Asif came back into the team and the tribunal reversed the PCB decision, so this is a Rizvi defeat)

- Akhtar 5 year ban and fine (Akhtar eventually got cleared to play for Pakistan and the 5 year ban was reversed within the next few months, the big fine the PCB deducted from Akhtar's due eventually had to be returned back to Akhtar by Sethi in 2016. So apart from billing the PCB his time, effort on a case he blatatantly lost at the end of the day, this is yet another Rizvi defeat)

- Younis Khan, Yousaf Life Ban, Shoaib Malik 1 year ban in 2010 (Yousaf and Younis Khan eventually came back to the team along with Shoaib Malik, Rizvi by billing his time and effort on this case has only incurred an unnecessary expense on the PCB's dime)

- The 2011 ICC WC Hosting rights case (The ICC snatched PCB's hosting rights for the 2011 ODI WC, the PCB sued the ICC for this and the ICC refused to budge and the PCB was unable to prove its case that it was safe to play in Pakistan, eventually the PCB settled with the ICC for $18 million, an amount which many experts claim was a fraction of what the PCB could have made had it been able to host the ODI WC in the country, if the PCB hired Rizvi to help the PCB pressurize the ICC in re-granting the WC hosting rights back to Pakistan then he clearly failed here)

- The spot fixing scandal in England (He has billed the PCB for services rendered during this case and being an observer, not sure what his role or mandate was but if his role was to help Amir, Asif, Butt escape punishment then he failed. These 3 players were left at their own mercy and dime, i am unsure what did Rizvi bill his time for here exactly)

- Afridi PCB Tussle (The PCB was hellbent on teaching Afridi a lesson by giving him a hefty ban, fine and withdrawing his NOC for good, due to pressure from the govt Ijaz Butt was forced to compromise and the PCB Afridi reached a deal where he would admit his mistake, guilt, plead guilty and pay a fine for Rs 4.5 million in exchange for an NOC for Afridi to play county cricket. If the PCB hired Rizvi to really punish Afridi by banning him, fining him a huge amount and ensuring he did not get his NOC either then he failed to do so)

- Danish Kaneria case (He apparently was the PCB observer in Danish Kaneria's case, Kaneria had to fend for his own self, the PCB chose to stay clear of Kaneria, he billed the PCB for his time to be an observer in this case. Was it necessary for the PCB to hire him to do this?

- Nawaz, Irfan, Shahzeb Hasan, Khalid Lateef, Sharjeel Khan (He did his job here though there is speculation as to whether the evidence against Sharjeel was genuine or not)

- PCB BCCI MOU Case (This is where heads really needed to roll in the PCB, it needs to be examined as to what advice did he give to the PCB exactly with regards to their chances in the case. This is a huge failure which cannot be forgiven)

- Umar Akmal Case (Umar decided to represent himself, plead guilty immediately, not sure why Rizvi had to spend a lot of time and effort on this case if he is dealing with a client who has plead guilty and was coming into the hearing just to have his sentence read out to him)

Based on the above even i am questioning as to why is Rizvi continously retained by the PCB as their external lawyer. He was fired by Zaka Ashraf in 2014 only to be reinstated by Sethi again. Someone who loses a high profile case or series of cases gets fired in the tough business environment which exists today. Shoaib is reasonably justified in feeling Rizvi over complicates simple cases and lets no opportunity pass by to bill out the maximum number of billable hours to his client i.e. the PCB

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    Netflix should create an original series based on the dramas of pakistan cricket and it’s shenanigans..there is a 1.3B ppl market who will watch it with lots of fun.
    Some ideas for the PCB to follow in order to generate alternative revenue streams given that they are struggling to get good broadcast deals

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

MoYo also asking both parties to resolve matter in an amicable fashion as it will have an adverse effect on Pakistan cricket and our younger players

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

MoYo also asking both parties to resolve matter in an amicable fashion as it will have an adverse effect on Pakistan cricket and our younger players
    Don't agree with him, younger players will be least bothered. We need some entertainment and respite in these Covid 19 times

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"So please don't get fooled by people who are deliberately misquoting me"
    To provide you all a little bit more context, the lawyer that Shoaib Akhtar has hired is the son-in-law of the current Chief Justice of Pakistan, and is a partner at Salman Akram Raja's firm (a highly esteemed, established, and intense lawyer). Also, he's a good lawyer.

Cases/matters of this nature are split by legal fraternity politics. Tafazzul Rizvi had acquired the blessing of the Lahore High Court Bar Association and the Punjab Bar Council. In return, Shoaib has nullified it with this stroke.

Defamation cases almost never get concluded in Pakistan (a case hasn't even been filed here fyi). Even if filed, it will erode into oblivion. Far more intense matters of 'defamation' have fizzled with time (e.g., Najam Sethi v. Imran Khan '35 punctures', Khawaja Asif Imran Khan Shaukat Khanum corruption statements).

So, this is all hue and cry for ultimate nothingness. Everyone wins. Lawyers get their fame and fees. The accuser/Rizvi will get some consolation in the fact that he served Shoaib a legal notice, thereby saving his image, and Akhtar wont have to pay consequences in the form of monetary compensation (if any was applicable in the first instance).

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothcriminal View Post
    To provide you all a little bit more context, the lawyer that Shoaib Akhtar has hired is the son-in-law of the current Chief Justice of Pakistan, and is a partner at Salman Akram Raja's firm (a highly esteemed, established, and intense lawyer). Also, he's a good lawyer.

Cases/matters of this nature are split by legal fraternity politics. Tafazzul Rizvi had acquired the blessing of the Lahore High Court Bar Association and the Punjab Bar Council. In return, Shoaib has nullified it with this stroke.

Defamation cases almost never get concluded in Pakistan (a case hasn't even been filed here fyi). Even if filed, it will erode into oblivion. Far more intense matters of 'defamation' have fizzled with time (e.g., Najam Sethi v. Imran Khan '35 punctures', Khawaja Asif Imran Khan Shaukat Khanum corruption statements).

So, this is all hue and cry for ultimate nothingness. Everyone wins. Lawyers get their fame and fees. The accuser/Rizvi will get some consolation in the fact that he served Shoaib a legal notice, thereby saving his image, and Akhtar wont have to pay consequences in the form of monetary compensation (if any was applicable in the first instance).
    So true.

And then some former players keep on talking, making libellous comments and accusations on television, knowing nothing will happen.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Whoever wins - Pakistan cricket loses after this.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Whoever wins - Pakistan cricket loses after this.
    How does Pakistan Cricket lose? Everyone gets entertained from it, aren't you feeling bored in these Covid 19 times?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Pakistan is all about sources vs sources, contacts vs contacts.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    How does Pakistan Cricket lose? Everyone gets entertained from it, aren't you feeling bored in these Covid 19 times?
    The reputation of the PCB and every decision taken about the likes of Sharjeel etc will now be questioned.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reputation of the PCB and every decision taken about the likes of Sharjeel etc will now be questioned.
    Bang on. Rizvi doesn’t want to let the sleeping dogs lay and has rallied his bar council

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    I had only read comments in one of the threads where these remarks were not included. My mistake.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol Rizvi i assume will be defending himself and not hiring the services of a lawyer

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he was one of the lawyers in the case again BCCI regarding the MOU they had with Pakistan

If so, no wonder we lost

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanNn View Post
    I wonder if he was one of the lawyers in the case again BCCI regarding the MOU they had with Pakistan

If so, no wonder we lost
    We have been struggling with legal representation for over a decade now. There is plenty of injustice going on in the world of cricket and Pakistan has not been treated fairly at all on many occasions (I feel). Who can we blame but our legal team for not being able to get our players the best which we should deserve?

However it doesn’t matter for Tafazul Rizvi because he is collecting his hefty paycheques every month from the PCB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Images in spoiler.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's Niazi vs Rizwi now.

This is a contest which is better than cricket. Hit like if you agree with me.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    It's Niazi vs Rizwi now.

This is a contest which is better than cricket. Hit like if you agree with me.
    Like.

Rizvi’s ego is going to cost him his career and reputation.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    If you’ll excuse me retreating into northern English.

Shoaib’s barrister has made a right mug out of Rizvi. “Bald and frivolous!”

As Niazi wrote, Rizvi has attempted to maliciously humiliate and degrade Shoaib Akhtar.

But Rizvi has only made himself look like a semi-skilled buffoon.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar is a journalist now

This Niazi seems like a bigger motor mouth than Shoaib

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Shoaib admitting that it was just an opinion and not fact that Rizvi complicates cases just to milk the PCB. Choose a damn side man. Why were you so adamant that it was a fact and not just what you thought?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    So Shoaib admitting that it was just an opinion and not fact that Rizvi complicates cases just to milk the PCB. Choose a damn side man. Why were you so adamant that it was a fact and not just what you thought?
    He expressed his opinion on a social domain, not on a legal platform

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Win Win for the lawyers mostly.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win Win for the lawyers mostly.
    its actually a win for akthar.. more he remains in the news cycle, more people know about his channel.
    He wants to stir up controversy and remain relevant.. forever....A true Diva.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    its actually a win for akthar.. more he remains in the news cycle, more people know about his channel.
    He wants to stir up controversy and remain relevant.. forever....A true Diva.
    It was Rizvi who sent the notice first.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Rizvi really didn't follow the Rules of Civil Procedure then Akhtar's allegation of incompetence against him holds true, and truth is a valid defense to defamation. Awaiting Rizvi's response. This is fun.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Rizvi loses or backtracks, will the PCB still retain him as their legal counsel?