Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

PCB announce Men's Central Contracts list for 2020-21 - New Emerging Players' category introduced

Naseem Shah named in men’s central contract list for 2020-21

• Abid Ali, Mohammad Rizwan, Shan Masood and Shaheen Afridi get promotions; Iftikhar Ahmad other new face in the 18-player list

• Haider Ali, Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain included in newly-constituted Emerging Players’ Category

• Azhar Ali confirmed Test captain while Babar Azam to lead Pakistan in ODIs and T20Is in the 2020-21 season

• Misbah says while awarding contracts, past performances was one of the measures that was used and that a strong emphasis was placed on the types and potential amount of cricket to be played in the next 12 months

• Pakistan scheduled to play nine Tests, six ODIs and 20 T20Is plus the Asia Cup and ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 over the next 12-month period

Lahore, 13 May 2020:

Naseem Shah and Iftikhar Ahmad were the two new faces in the 18-player men’s central contract list for the 2020-21 season, which will come into effect from 1 July, while the Pakistan Cricket Board also confirmed Azhar Ali as Test and Babar Azam as ODI and T20I captains for the period during which Pakistan is scheduled to play nine Tests, six ODIs and 20 T20Is, besides the Asia Cup and the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020.

Naseem Shah became the youngest Test bowler in history to take a fifer and a hat-trick in consecutive Tests against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in Karachi and Rawalpindi, respectively. Iftikhar, who had the best average and strike rate in T20Is amongst the Pakistan batsmen, played two Tests, two ODIs and seven T20Is in the 2019-20 season.

Naseem’s bowling partner Shaheen Shah Afridi, who took the most Test wickets for Pakistan in the 2019-20 season, is one of the four players to get promotions.

Shaheen, following his 18 Test and two T20I wickets, has moved up in Category A, while Abid Ali (174 runs in three Tests and 74 runs in an ODI), Mohammad Rizwan (212 runs and 16 dismissals in five Tests, 50 runs and two dismissals in five T20Is) and Shan Masood (396 runs in five Tests) have been awarded Category B.

Furthermore, and as part of its commitment and strategy to reward high-performing young cricketers, the PCB has created a new Emerging Players’ Category, and the initial inductees are Haider Ali and fast bowlers Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain.

Haider was a standout batsman for the Pakistan Emerging and U19 sides, whereas Haris and Hasnain showed their skill, prowess and utility in limited overs cricket.

In addition to the three and to further recognise players who have performed excellently in the 2019-20 season and/or are in and around the Pakistan men’s national team, the PCB are in the process of creating enhanced domestic contracts for the 2020-21 season so that they remained valued and motivated.

Hasan Ali, Mohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz have missed out on central contracts but will remain in contention for selection in what will be a busier cricket season as compared to the one that has just concluded, while Imam-ul-Haq, Sarfaraz Ahmed and Yasir Shah have slipped one category each.

Pakistan men’s national team chief selector and head coach Misbah-ul-Haq said: “The philosophy and criteria for this merit-based central contract list was simple and straightforward: the selectors reviewed player performances in the past 12 months and then looked ahead to our team requirements in the forthcoming 12 months.

“I am thankful to the PCB Chairman for supporting our recommendation to give emerging player contracts to Haider, Haris and Hasnain. This is part of our forward-looking strategy and investing in the future, while also encouraging potential future national team players. I am sure this will motivate a number of youngsters in the 2020-21 domestic cricket to perform up to the expected level and earn such incentives.

“I want to congratulate Azhar Ali and Babar Azam for getting captaincy extensions. This is absolutely the right decision as they also require certainty and clarity on their future roles. I am sure they will now start looking to the future and start planning so that they can build sides that can perform at the expected levels.

“The selectors have made the tough decisions to leave out Amir, Hasan and Wahab but considering Hasan missed most of the season due to an injury and Amir and Wahab decided to focus on white-ball cricket, this was the right move. However, Amir and Wahab are senior and experienced bowlers and they remain in contention as we believe they can still contribute to the Pakistan men’s cricket team and also mentor our young battery of fast bowlers.

“Rizwan has been promoted to Category B after being a regular member of the side, while Sarfaraz has been placed in Category B as he very much features in our future plans. We have some tough cricket lined up over the next 12 months where we will potentially require Sarfaraz’s knowledge and experience.

“I am delighted for Naseem and Shaheen who have been well-rewarded for their outstanding performances. The two teenagers are the future of Pakistan cricket and I have no doubts that if they remain fit and stay focused, they will dominate world cricket for a long time. Their elevation is also a reward for bowling coach Waqar Younis, who has been working tirelessly on them, but there is still a long way to go for the duo and they have to perform consistently at big stages before they can put their cases of classifying them in the league of bowlers such as Waqar.

“In the list, we have a strong pool of batsmen and bowlers, which will allow us to strategically rotate our players and manage their workloads. In the meantime, the selectors will continue to keep an eye on the 2020-21 domestic cricket and if they feel strongly that someone needs to be fast tracked into the national side, then we will not hesitate in giving those top performers such opportunities.”

In the forthcoming season, Pakistan is scheduled to play two T20Is in Ireland (July), three Tests and three T20Is in England (July-September), three ODIs and three T20Is in South Africa (October), three ODIs and three T20Is at home against Zimbabwe (November), two tests and three T20Is in New Zealand (December), two Tests and three T20Is at home against South Africa (January 2021) and two Tests and three T20Is in Zimbabwe (April 2021).

In addition to these bilateral series, Pakistan will also feature in the Asia Cup T20 tournament and the ICC T20 Men’s World Cup 2020 in Australia.

PCB Men’s Central Contract List for 2020-21:

Category A
    1. Azhar Ali (Central Punjab)
    2. Babar Azam (Central Punjab/Karachi Kings)
    3. Shaheen Shah Afridi (Northern/Lahore Qalandars).

Category B
    1. Abid Ali (Sindh/Lahore Qalandars)
    2. Asad Shafiq (Sindh/Multan Sultans)
    3. Haris Sohail (Balochistan)
    4. Mohammad Abbas (Southern Punjab)
    5. Mohammad Rizwan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Karachi Kings)
    6. Sarfaraz Ahmed (Sindh/Quetta Gladiators)
    7. Shadab Khan (Northern/Islamabad United)
    8. Shan Masood (Southern Punjab/Multan Sultans)
    9. Yasir Shah (Balochistan/Peshawar Zalmi).

Category C
    1. Fakhar Zaman (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahore Qalandars)
    2. Iftikhar Ahmed (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Karachi Kings)
    3. Imad Wasim (Northern/Karachi Kings)
    4. Imam-ul-Haq (Balochistan/Peshawar Zalmi)
    5. Naseem Shah (Central Punjab/Quetta Gladiators)
    6. Usman Shinwari (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahore Qalandars)

Emerging Players’ Category
    1. Haider Ali (Northern/Peshawar Zalmi)
    2. Haris Rauf (Northern/Lahore Qalandars)
    3. Mohammad Hasnain (Sindh/Quetta Gladiators)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally agree with the selections.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't see why Sarfraz is in category B considering he's not even in the team. The rest is fair enough. Really glad to see Shaheen get Cat A. Delighted to not see Hafeez and Malik there, does anyone know if they had contracts last year?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is decent by Misbah.

Maybe Amir deserved a C-contract but the message is loud and clear - if you want to play for Pakistan you have to be available for all formats.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Don't see why Sarfraz is in category B considering he's not even in the team. The rest is fair enough. Really glad to see Shaheen get Cat A. Delighted to not see Hafeez and Malik there, does anyone know if they had contracts last year?
    Malik and Hafeez didn't in 2019-20.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali:
    3 30s and a century in 7 Test innings since becoming Test Captain.
    Won his last 2 Tests as Captain by thumping margins.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Emerging player category — genius! Great way to provide an incentive to young players as well as keep them in coaching plans.

Also, Haider Ali is the only player with a contract who has never played for the national side. Could this be confirmation that Misbah is giving him a call up?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy for Shaheen Babar was never in doubt

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t realise we had a South Africa tour lined up just before the World Cup ! Very good .

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Azhar Ali:
    You're highlighting his 30s which show how bad his performances have been, really.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imam Ul Haq and Fakhar Zaman in Cat C whereas Rizwan is in Cat B

Boy this Rizwan guy has some strong well wishers in the PCB!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some solid positives and some surprisingly bad negatives. Ifti chacha shouldn't be there, same could be said for Sarfaraz Ahmed and Shadab Khan. Overall its okay but the emerging category is genius.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Feel like these contracts have prioritised tests completely. Shan has got a B contract despite just getting back his test spot (and he's hardly excelled in tests overall). Yet Imam who has been performing for some time in ODIs is contract C. Same with Imad and Iftikhar who seem to have nailed down LOI spots but not really in contention for tests, get just C.

I get Shaheen is an important player and plays all three formats but surprised he's already vaulted to A. He still doesn't have that many games under his belt and very young. My feeling they gave him the Contract A to encourage him to play tests rather wanting to just focus on Limited overs which bowlers have done in the past.

Am shocked Sarfraz is given a B contract. Do management intend to play him then? Or is it the case as former captain you can't suddenly be booted out of contracts you need to drop down gradually?

It's sad that the recent crop of aggressive LOI batsmen (especially from PSL) such as Asif Ali, Talat, Faheem, Farhan has pretty much came and gone as quickly as it started. Fakhar might be on his way out too, sliding down the contracts. Hopefully Haider Ali and the other guys who come in next live up to the hype this time.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    Some solid positives and some surprisingly bad negatives. Ifti chacha shouldn't be there, same could be said for Sarfaraz Ahmed and Shadab Khan. Overall its okay but the emerging category is genius.
    I don’t get the hate for ifti. He’s the only lock batsman for the WC in Australia after Babar. Didn’t you watch the T20 series?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On merit, Abbas isn’t anything but a Test match bowler at most. It’s very harsh to not have Amir on Cat B at least as he is a mainstay in ODIs and T20i cricket.

Amir might as well retire completely and seek English nationality. I’m pretty sure he will get snapped up immediately in the IPL if he has a red passport

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't rate Ifti at all. Add to the fact he doesn't even look the age he is. Limited shot selection and poor fielder.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    This is actually very good.

Wish we had a Zafar or someone else in there - Yasir's time should be up now, let alone a 'B' contract. Sarfraz really shouldn't have gotten a contract at all.

Rest is really good. Delighted to see Test regulars getting 'B' contracts with Shaheen alongside Babar in 'A'. Azhar shouldn't even be Test captain, but hopefully we phase hin out slowly - until then, giving the Test captain an 'A' makes sense I guess.

Shafiq too hopefully is phased out slowly but yes a 'B' is understandable as he's a Test regular.

Shadab the only LOI-only player (rarely plays Tests) getting a 'B' but it's very well deserved.

Fakhar's last 2 ODI knocks were decent. ODIs are the only format where he even makes the squad but based off his last couple of games, I think the demotion to a 'C' is fine rather than dropping him altogether. Imam in 'C' is fine too - good to see Abid and Shan getting preference. Still feel Shan can make the cut in the ODI side, although he doesn't deserve a chance immediately because he did flop in the AUS ODIs prior to the WC.

Great to see Naseem in there. Usman and Iftikhar in 'C' is fair too.

Finally, love to see the emerging category - some very deserving names in there - Haider in particular.

Overall I would have one more Test-playing spinner in there (i.e. Zafar) but this is still very good.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

He's our WK for Tests and ODIs, as well as T20Is in all likelihood - that arguably even merits an 'A' contract, let alone a 'B'.

Performed really well in the Australia Tests as well.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He's had some good performances recently in tests and ODIs and technically plays 3 formats. So I think Cat B isn't bad. I mean he is our first choice wicketkeeper and I guess most first choice wicketkeepers are at least B in most countries. We're forced into this weird position as Sarfraz was sort of thrown out abruptly, when most of the time you're fazed out gradually, not from all formats at the same time.

Imam deserved a higher contract I thought, I mean he averages over 50 in ODIs. Maybe this is management's way of pressuring him to score at a higher SR in order to get a higher contract or perform in tests too rather than being only an ODI performers, which is a bit unusual for a player to only succeed in just ODIs. Only succeeding in tests or T20s is more common, but ODIs rare because it's the middle format.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Imad is too bit-and-pieces to get a 'B', and unlike Shadab has no chances of playing even overseas Tests for us. not to mention his fitness is pathetic.

Imam is a benchwarmer and Tests and barely starts in ODIs ahead of one of Abid/Fakhar (didn't start in the last ODI we played) - doesn't sound like someone deserving of a 'B' at all.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Looks like based on this, our pace battery for Tests is:

Shaheen Afridi
    Mohammad Abbas
    Naseem Shah
    Usman Shinwari
    Mohammad Hasnain/Imran Khan/Faheem Ashraf

For the 5th pacer, there is a chance one of the latter two retains their place despite not having a contract, although the ultimate plan seems to be having Hasnain groomed under Waqar for Tests as well, which I agree with. Don't see Rauf getting called up for ODIs.

For ODIs, it'll probably be:

Shaheen Afridi
    Mohammad Amir (in spite of not getting a contract)
    Usman Shinwari
    Mohammad Hasnain
    Haris Rauf/Wahab Riaz

In the future, it seems Naseem will make his way into the ODI squad as well but I feel like for now they'll keep him limited to Tests, with maybe a T20I spot as well following his impressive show for Quetta.

T20Is:

Shaheen Afridi
    Mohammad Amir
    Mohammad Hasnain
    Haris Rauf
    Naseem Shah/Wahab Riaz

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam is the new ODI captain now as well to go along with his T20 captaincy.

IMO, a little too much responsibility too early for him, as at times captaincy extra burden can take its toll on the players individual performance, lets see how this goes though.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan, Yasir and Haris for me should have been in C, as both Yasir and Haris need to work on their bulging bellies which they have not been able to ditch for the last 5 years at least.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This amount is monthly or yearly?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I would have liked to see Dilbar in the emerging players category. The guy has something to offer the T20 team and maybe the odi team in the next 2 years

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Harsh on players who are LOI specialists such as Amir. BD is doing a good thing by having seperate contracts for test and LOI players

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    This amount is monthly or yearly?
    Which amount?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the majority of selections, hopefully a decent finger spinner for tests appears in the next year or so claiming a stake in next contract. Finger spinners in tests is a requirement in most conditions and every top team has one. Sajid Khan, Zafar Gohar, Umer Khan, Mohammad Asghar etc need to come into the radar in the upcoming season.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Harsh on players who are LOI specialists such as Amir. BD is doing a good thing by having seperate contracts for test and LOI players
    Amir became unavailable in tests by choice unlike the BD players you are referring to who are considered for only LOIs because of certain style of play. Imad Wasim is considered LOI specialist and is given a contract just like Fakhar and Imam who have rarely played a test in last year or so.

PCB and management didnt take Amir’s decision well and probably wanted to send a message. Yes this stance can definitely be argued however, I dont mind if it sends a message in the circles that you cant pick and choose your commitment to national team.

Also Amir will be playing leagues around the world while young pacers will be working hard in tests. You dont want these kind of options on the table for upcoming pacers and youngsters. Its a message that if you want to play leagues around the world at the expense of not being available for a particular format for Pakistan, don’t expect us to give you a contract which means to keep on paying you in those months as well when you are not available for tests and playing foreign T20 leagues. Again the stance can be argued.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add Yasir Shah being there doesn't make sense either.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think misbah will pick sarfraz for england tour as he said sarfaraz is needed for upcoming tough series'

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    He's our WK for Tests and ODIs, as well as T20Is in all likelihood - that arguably even merits an 'A' contract, let alone a 'B'.

Performed really well in the Australia Tests as well.
    Some decent performances and he should be in Cat A?

I’ve heard it all now! Only Babar merits Category A. They have stuffed Shaheen in there fo make it seem as if Pakistan has another marketable brand, he is a top class bowler but there are times when he will have forgettable figures.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rohail Nasir needs to be invested in. He is Pakistan’s keeper batsman in all 3 formats by 2023 WC.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iftikhar Ahmed is probably the best no 5, 6 finisher we have at the moment and he has showed that in limited opportunities he got and not to forget he gives option of off spin which isnt their post Hafeez and Malik in ODIs.

I personally cant think of a batsman who can hit the ball well and has decent enough technique to carry the innings if required along with option in bowling. Khushdil Shah can develop well of he works hard for this role going forward.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Azhar Ali:
    hopefully in future you highlight 30s of players you dislike as well.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    I think misbah will pick sarfraz for england tour as he said sarfaraz is needed for upcoming tough series'
    Rizwan has better technique to play in overseas conditions as he showed in Eng. Sarfaraz hasnt done anything memorable in all the overseas tests he has played.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Some decent performances and he should be in Cat A?

I’ve heard it all now! Only Babar merits Category A. They have stuffed Shaheen in there fo make it seem as if Pakistan has another marketable brand, he is a top class bowler but there are times when he will have forgettable figures.
    You're being too picky.

He's playing 2/3 of the main (possibly 3/3 formats) and is gonna be one of the first names on the team sheet over the upcoming year due to his role, a lack of alternatives, as well as his decent performances.

Merits a 'B' at the very least, if not an 'A'.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Rizwan has better technique to play in overseas conditions as he showed in Eng. Sarfaraz hasnt done anything memorable in all the overseas tests he has played.
    * as he showed in Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but there are times when he will have forgettable figures.
    I guess even more experienced pacers have those kind of matches on occasions.

Thing is Shaheen has been with Pak team for around 2 years now and at 20 years of age has already taken 86 for Pak across the formats. 30 wickets in tests @ 27, 40 wickets in ODIs in just 19 matches @21 and 16 wickets in T20 ls with avg of 20 and eco of 7.23. These are tremendous stats for a new comer and not only that, the main thing which he has shown is his commitment and work ethics. He wants to improve and he is willing to work hard for that, not something which is common now a days.

I personally think it sends a good message to any youngster out there, if you are willing to put in hard yards irrespective of your age you can be in the category A. I think Shaheen totally deserves it and is the role model for any young pacer in Pakistan just like Babar is in batting.
    Last edited by Titan24; 13th May 2020 at 18:23.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Iftikhar Ahmed is probably the best no 5, 6 finisher we have at the moment and he has showed that in limited opportunities he got and not to forget he gives option of off spin which isnt their post Hafeez and Malik in ODIs.

I personally cant think of a batsman who can hit the ball well and has decent enough technique to carry the innings if required along with option in bowling. Khushdil Shah can develop well of he works hard for this role going forward.
    Since he's come back into the LOI sides, he hasn't bowled that much. Its clear that Pakistan are utilising him as a hitter down the order. Don't get me wrong, he has down okay in this role but I can't see him being a long-term option in this role and think we could do better in find a spin-bowling allrounder.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imad is too bit-and-pieces to get a 'B', and unlike Shadab has no chances of playing even overseas Tests for us. not to mention his fitness is pathetic.

Imam is a benchwarmer and Tests and barely starts in ODIs ahead of one of Abid/Fakhar (didn't start in the last ODI we played) - doesn't sound like someone deserving of a 'B' at all.
    Imam is more of a guaranteed starter than Fakhar (who is a rubbish hack..)

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're being too picky.

He's playing 2/3 of the main (possibly 3/3 formats) and is gonna be one of the first names on the team sheet over the upcoming year due to his role, a lack of alternatives, as well as his decent performances.

Merits a 'B' at the very least, if not an 'A'.
    I agree with this - Shaheen has improved leaps and bounds and is deserving of an A contract being a guaranteed starter in all 3 formats..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammar_merry View Post
    hopefully in future you highlight 30s of players you dislike as well.
    Agree - not sure why Azhar Ali’s 30s are being highlighted here. He is deserving of a C contract at best..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir became unavailable in tests by choice unlike the BD players you are referring to who are considered for only LOIs because of certain style of play. Imad Wasim is considered LOI specialist and is given a contract just like Fakhar and Imam who have rarely played a test in last year or so.

PCB and management didnt take Amir’s decision well and probably wanted to send a message. Yes this stance can definitely be argued however, I dont mind if it sends a message in the circles that you cant pick and choose your commitment to national team.

Also Amir will be playing leagues around the world while young pacers will be working hard in tests. You dont want these kind of options on the table for upcoming pacers and youngsters. Its a message that if you want to play leagues around the world at the expense of not being available for a particular format for Pakistan, don’t expect us to give you a contract which means to keep on paying you in those months as well when you are not available for tests and playing foreign T20 leagues. Again the stance can be argued.
    Why is it wrong for Amir to retire from test?

Like it or not - ODI’s and T20’s are the pinnacle format of the game and he showed his worth in the 2019 WC when it mattered the most..

Rarely does any player retire from all formats at once..

Mountain out of a molehill in my opinion...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Rizwan, Yasir and Haris for me should have been in C, as both Yasir and Haris need to work on their bulging bellies which they have not been able to ditch for the last 5 years at least.
    I agree that Haris and Yasir’s fitness is poor but Haris is a vital cog in our test and ODI batting and a guaranteed starter in 2 of the formats. Whilst Yasir is a test specialist - he is our only specialist spinner since the decline of Ajmal..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is actually very good.

Wish we had a Zafar or someone else in there - Yasir's time should be up now, let alone a 'B' contract. Sarfraz really shouldn't have gotten a contract at all.

Rest is really good. Delighted to see Test regulars getting 'B' contracts with Shaheen alongside Babar in 'A'. Azhar shouldn't even be Test captain, but hopefully we phase hin out slowly - until then, giving the Test captain an 'A' makes sense I guess.

Shafiq too hopefully is phased out slowly but yes a 'B' is understandable as he's a Test regular.

Shadab the only LOI-only player (rarely plays Tests) getting a 'B' but it's very well deserved.

Fakhar's last 2 ODI knocks were decent. ODIs are the only format where he even makes the squad but based off his last couple of games, I think the demotion to a 'C' is fine rather than dropping him altogether. Imam in 'C' is fine too - good to see Abid and Shan getting preference. Still feel Shan can make the cut in the ODI side, although he doesn't deserve a chance immediately because he did flop in the AUS ODIs prior to the WC.

Great to see Naseem in there. Usman and Iftikhar in 'C' is fair too.

Finally, love to see the emerging category - some very deserving names in there - Haider in particular.

Overall I would have one more Test-playing spinner in there (i.e. Zafar) but this is still very good.
    So why is B “understandable” for Shafiq when he only plays one format and that too he is mediocre?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can never satisfy Pakistani people.
    This is a great list. The only reason of Sarfraz being here is that he is loved extraordinarily by the awaam. The backlash would've been exponentially higher if he had been removed alongside Fixer and Wahab.
    Imam in C can be called surprising too. But this is a clear message from him to improve further and take the opening from Abid.
    Don't see why people are hating on Ifti here. He has been performing extremely well since his comeback. He was also misused in the PSL (same goes for Rizwan) by Dean Jones. We aren't exactly brimming with power-hitters like him who can also build the innings. He also doesn't have any ego problem. You guys don't want to go back to Asif Ali, eh?

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir and Wahab need to understand PSL, CPL, BPL, T10, GT20, 100 is all good, But proper cricket is TEST CRICKET.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sad no finger spinners. We really need a good finger spinner as many teams out there are vulnerable to a good one.

I would love to see a pace attack with haris,shaheen,naseem and hasnain all together and inform. At the moment I dont rate hasnain, rauf is very hit and miss and naseem needs to be handled carefully.

But just imagine for one second if all of them get their act together and click..could be fun to watch..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman4. View Post
    You can never satisfy Pakistani people.
    This is a great list. The only reason of Sarfraz being here is that he is loved extraordinarily by the awaam. The backlash would've been exponentially higher if he had been removed alongside Fixer and Wahab.
    Imam in C can be called surprising too. But this is a clear message from him to improve further and take the opening from Abid.
    Don't see why people are hating on Ifti here. He has been performing extremely well since his comeback. He was also misused in the PSL (same goes for Rizwan) by Dean Jones. We aren't exactly brimming with power-hitters like him who can also build the innings. He also doesn't have any ego problem. You guys don't want to go back to Asif Ali, eh?
    So we should retain a player just because we are afraid of the backlash for discarding him??

Regarding Iftikhar - he is unreliable at best and usually mediocre.. Imad and Shadab have proven themselves to be reliable with good performances in the PSL..

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Azhar and Shan are a category above what they should have been, and Imad and Naseem are a category below. Otherwise looks reasonable

Azhar is really mind-boggling, no performances at all yet somehow a category A player.
    If performance is the basis of selection, than Asad has scored twice as many runs as Azhar in the same number of matches in 2019/2020 - why is Azhar ahead of him?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    IMO Central Contracts are only for those players who are guaranteed selections and are definately in the selectors plans for the next one year. I also agree with Siqander Bakht that if a player is sidelined for 3 months due to injury or form, then the PCB reserves the right to withdraw his central contract. The selection of Sarfaraz does not make sense, PCB should move on from him. I am all for paying the top 20-25 players in the country elite level money but not for unnecessarily hamouraging money

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post

Like it or not - ODI’s and T20’s are the pinnacle format of the game and he showed his worth in the 2019 WC when it mattered the most..

Agree with you that people romanticize Test cricket - ODI and T20 are clearly very important and the only financially feasible forms of cricket.

That said, Amir's LOI performances really haven't been all that great. He had a good WC, but other than that he's been really average in ODI's and T20 over the past few years. I would much prefer to invest in Shaheen, Naseem, Husnain, Rauf and even Shinwari

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm disgusted that Fawad didn't get a contract. Fakhar needs the boot, he's done nothing of note ever since CT17. Azhar nowhere near deserved category A with his poor performances. If Pakistan sorry Punjab wanna move forward then start getting in new bloods and kick out jobbers.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha oh your face white ball fans. Misbah and Wasim Khan clearly only care about test cricket and that's what they aim to work on. Expect pakistan to become a strong test side in the next few years. Can't wait!

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir should have been included , dil bada karna chaiye , he has experience.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we should retain a player just because we are afraid of the backlash for discarding him??

Regarding Iftikhar - he is unreliable at best and usually mediocre.. Imad and Shadab have proven themselves to be reliable with good performances in the PSL..
    Yeah. You want Ifti to score half-centuries while batting at 8.
    Imad and Shaddy are bits-and-pieces cricketers. Iftikhar at least can be reckoned as a proper batsman.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman4. View Post
    Yeah. You want Ifti to score half-centuries while batting at 8.
    Imad and Shaddy are bits-and-pieces cricketers. Iftikhar at least can be reckoned as a proper batsman.
    Sorry but I disagree with your premise about Imad and Shadab being “bits and pieces”..

Imad is a better batsman than Ifti - he takes time to get going but once set, he can hit and is a match winner under pressure..

Shadab is young but has a high ceiling as a potential all rounder. Did well in the PSL so should be invested with further..

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Emerging player category — genius! Great way to provide an incentive to young players as well as keep them in coaching plans.

Also, Haider Ali is the only player with a contract who has never played for the national side. Could this be confirmation that Misbah is giving him a call up?
    100 percent great incentive for players fo perform even better in psl and 19s level .and yes misbah is going to give him a call up very very soon I reakon

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    Happy for Shaheen Babar was never in doubt
    They deserve it 100 percent no questions asked

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, its a good list. Shaheen really deserves the A category for being the best bowler in all formats.

Nice to see Haider in the emerging category as well. Though its comical that for a player to be really noticed and rewarded, they have to perform in PSL. I'd like to see Saud Shakeel in the category as well and I think its time he gets a proper shot in Tests/ODI's.

As for Amir and Wahab, I can see why they're not on the contracts list. Pakistan is basically not playing an ODI's for the next year and for the World Cup, they probably shouldn't be locks either. Amir has been woeful in Australian conditions in every format so I think there is a legitimate case for his exclusion from the WC squad. Any other country I would have be a part of the squad, but picking him in Australia would not be wise. Wahab on the other hand, has been decent in Australia but with his age, declining pace and he is not exactly reliable in controlling runs or picking up wickets so I could see a case for excluding him too. I would probably pick him but have him on the bench though.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but I disagree with your premise about Imad and Shadab being “bits and pieces”..

Imad is a better batsman than Ifti - he takes time to get going but once set, he can hit and is a match winner under pressure..

Shadab is young but has a high ceiling as a potential all rounder. Did well in the PSL so should be invested with further..
    Ifti is a batting all rounder who can bat long and can bowl abit if spin.imad is a okay bowler and okay batesman good in last 7 overs so yes bits and pieces

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rohail Nasir needs to be invested in. He is Pakistan’s keeper batsman in all 3 formats by 2023 WC.
    I think the problem is they didnt want more than a couple in thier otherwise yes should be invested

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Ifti is a batting all rounder who can bat long and can bowl abit if spin.imad is a okay bowler and okay batesman good in last 7 overs so yes bits and pieces
    So when was the last time Ifti had “batted long”?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    I think the problem is they didnt want more than a couple in thier otherwise yes should be invested
    I think you need to be confident in investing the talent of tomorrow today. Rohail has some good shot selection and i'm hoping that Punjab cricket don't just forget about him like they do with several of our other domestic players.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    can anyone point out to me what our batting will look like in T20s...?...no haris sohail or imam please cos theyre not cut out for it.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's been dreadful so far. Rizwan is miles better then him. Even in the u19 Haris seemed much better for odi and t20.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I found interesting is that in the OP article it mentions the player's PSL team. Shows how far the importance of T20 format and for that matter the PSL has come.

This may not sit will with the anti T20 leagues, tests are THE format brigade.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali got B category too soon.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Naseem Shah named in men’s central contract list for 2020-21

• Abid Ali, Mohammad Rizwan, Shan Masood and Shaheen Afridi get promotions; Iftikhar Ahmad other new face in the 18-player list

• Haider Ali, Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain included in newly-constituted Emerging Players’ Category

• Azhar Ali confirmed Test captain while Babar Azam to lead Pakistan in ODIs and T20Is in the 2020-21 season

• Misbah says while awarding contracts, past performances was one of the measures that was used and that a strong emphasis was placed on the types and potential amount of cricket to be played in the next 12 months

• Pakistan scheduled to play nine Tests, six ODIs and 20 T20Is plus the Asia Cup and ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 over the next 12-month period

Lahore, 13 May 2020:

Naseem Shah and Iftikhar Ahmad were the two new faces in the 18-player men’s central contract list for the 2020-21 season, which will come into effect from 1 July, while the Pakistan Cricket Board also confirmed Azhar Ali as Test and Babar Azam as ODI and T20I captains for the period during which Pakistan is scheduled to play nine Tests, six ODIs and 20 T20Is, besides the Asia Cup and the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020.

Naseem Shah became the youngest Test bowler in history to take a fifer and a hat-trick in consecutive Tests against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in Karachi and Rawalpindi, respectively. Iftikhar, who had the best average and strike rate in T20Is amongst the Pakistan batsmen, played two Tests, two ODIs and seven T20Is in the 2019-20 season.

Naseem’s bowling partner Shaheen Shah Afridi, who took the most Test wickets for Pakistan in the 2019-20 season, is one of the four players to get promotions.

Shaheen, following his 18 Test and two T20I wickets, has moved up in Category A, while Abid Ali (174 runs in three Tests and 74 runs in an ODI), Mohammad Rizwan (212 runs and 16 dismissals in five Tests, 50 runs and two dismissals in five T20Is) and Shan Masood (396 runs in five Tests) have been awarded Category B.

Furthermore, and as part of its commitment and strategy to reward high-performing young cricketers, the PCB has created a new Emerging Players’ Category, and the initial inductees are Haider Ali and fast bowlers Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain.

Haider was a standout batsman for the Pakistan Emerging and U19 sides, whereas Haris and Hasnain showed their skill, prowess and utility in limited overs cricket.

In addition to the three and to further recognise players who have performed excellently in the 2019-20 season and/or are in and around the Pakistan men’s national team, the PCB are in the process of creating enhanced domestic contracts for the 2020-21 season so that they remained valued and motivated.

Hasan Ali, Mohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz have missed out on central contracts but will remain in contention for selection in what will be a busier cricket season as compared to the one that has just concluded, while Imam-ul-Haq, Sarfaraz Ahmed and Yasir Shah have slipped one category each.

Pakistan men’s national team chief selector and head coach Misbah-ul-Haq said: “The philosophy and criteria for this merit-based central contract list was simple and straightforward: the selectors reviewed player performances in the past 12 months and then looked ahead to our team requirements in the forthcoming 12 months.

“I am thankful to the PCB Chairman for supporting our recommendation to give emerging player contracts to Haider, Haris and Hasnain. This is part of our forward-looking strategy and investing in the future, while also encouraging potential future national team players. I am sure this will motivate a number of youngsters in the 2020-21 domestic cricket to perform up to the expected level and earn such incentives.

“I want to congratulate Azhar Ali and Babar Azam for getting captaincy extensions. This is absolutely the right decision as they also require certainty and clarity on their future roles. I am sure they will now start looking to the future and start planning so that they can build sides that can perform at the expected levels.

“The selectors have made the tough decisions to leave out Amir, Hasan and Wahab but considering Hasan missed most of the season due to an injury and Amir and Wahab decided to focus on white-ball cricket, this was the right move. However, Amir and Wahab are senior and experienced bowlers and they remain in contention as we believe they can still contribute to the Pakistan men’s cricket team and also mentor our young battery of fast bowlers.

“Rizwan has been promoted to Category B after being a regular member of the side, while Sarfaraz has been placed in Category B as he very much features in our future plans. We have some tough cricket lined up over the next 12 months where we will potentially require Sarfaraz’s knowledge and experience.

“I am delighted for Naseem and Shaheen who have been well-rewarded for their outstanding performances. The two teenagers are the future of Pakistan cricket and I have no doubts that if they remain fit and stay focused, they will dominate world cricket for a long time. Their elevation is also a reward for bowling coach Waqar Younis, who has been working tirelessly on them, but there is still a long way to go for the duo and they have to perform consistently at big stages before they can put their cases of classifying them in the league of bowlers such as Waqar.

“In the list, we have a strong pool of batsmen and bowlers, which will allow us to strategically rotate our players and manage their workloads. In the meantime, the selectors will continue to keep an eye on the 2020-21 domestic cricket and if they feel strongly that someone needs to be fast tracked into the national side, then we will not hesitate in giving those top performers such opportunities.”

In the forthcoming season, Pakistan is scheduled to play two T20Is in Ireland (July), three Tests and three T20Is in England (July-September), three ODIs and three T20Is in South Africa (October), three ODIs and three T20Is at home against Zimbabwe (November), two tests and three T20Is in New Zealand (December), two Tests and three T20Is at home against South Africa (January 2021) and two Tests and three T20Is in Zimbabwe (April 2021).

In addition to these bilateral series, Pakistan will also feature in the Asia Cup T20 tournament and the ICC T20 Men’s World Cup 2020 in Australia.

PCB Men’s Central Contract List for 2020-21:

Category A
    1. Azhar Ali (Central Punjab)
    2. Babar Azam (Central Punjab/Karachi Kings)
    3. Shaheen Shah Afridi (Northern/Lahore Qalandars).

Category B
    1. Abid Ali (Sindh/Lahore Qalandars)
    2. Asad Shafiq (Sindh/Multan Sultans)
    3. Haris Sohail (Balochistan)
    4. Mohammad Abbas (Southern Punjab)
    5. Mohammad Rizwan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Karachi Kings)
    6. Sarfaraz Ahmed (Sindh/Quetta Gladiators)
    7. Shadab Khan (Northern/Islamabad United)
    8. Shan Masood (Southern Punjab/Multan Sultans)
    9. Yasir Shah (Balochistan/Peshawar Zalmi).

Category C
    1. Fakhar Zaman (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahore Qalandars)
    2. Iftikhar Ahmed (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Karachi Kings)
    3. Imad Wasim (Northern/Karachi Kings)
    4. Imam-ul-Haq (Balochistan/Peshawar Zalmi)
    5. Naseem Shah (Central Punjab/Quetta Gladiators)
    6. Usman Shinwari (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahore Qalandars)

Emerging Players’ Category
    1. Haider Ali (Northern/Peshawar Zalmi)
    2. Haris Rauf (Northern/Lahore Qalandars)
    3. Mohammad Hasnain (Sindh/Quetta Gladiators)
    This guy Wasim Khan indeed earning his money - at least, I would say I haven't seen so much similarities with my thought process in 3 decades of PAK cricket.

This was my list couple of days back

Cat A: Babar, Shaheen, Azhar, Rizwan
    Cat B: Haris, Asad, Yasir, Abbas, Shadab, Abid
    Cat C: Imam, Shan, Naseem, Imad, Fakhar, Iftekhar

Emerging (May be): Haider, Sameen, Ruhail, Musa

Basically, they have made that Cat B fat - by denying Rizwan (no reason for him to be not in Top tier), by promoting Shan and by pampering Sarfraz. From the emerging picks, I think we should say good bye to Sameen's career - it's over, if they pick that Rauf guy at this age with those skill set; basically promoting a T20 specialist over a skilled seemer, who should have been my pick for the UK tour, if it's there happening.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    This guy Wasim Khan indeed earning his money - at least, I would say I haven't seen so much similarities with my thought process in 3 decades of PAK cricket.

This was my list couple of days back

Cat A: Babar, Shaheen, Azhar, Rizwan
    Cat B: Haris, Asad, Yasir, Abbas, Shadab, Abid
    Cat C: Imam, Shan, Naseem, Imad, Fakhar, Iftekhar

Emerging (May be): Haider, Sameen, Ruhail, Musa

Basically, they have made that Cat B fat - by denying Rizwan (no reason for him to be not in Top tier), by promoting Shan and by pampering Sarfraz. From the emerging picks, I think we should say good bye to Sameen's career - it's over, if they pick that Rauf guy at this age with those skill set; basically promoting a T20 specialist over a skilled seemer, who should have been my pick for the UK tour, if it's there happening.
    Trust me few days back I was thinking the same. You wrote down a number of things that PCB need to do and most of them have came to be true.

You talked about pitches in Pakistan and that Aga guy needs to go he has been booted. You talk about making NCA a high performance centre and even though at first I thought what will this name change do but looking up the whole structure of high performance centre I got to know your point. PCB did that and they are currently hiring people for it. About domestic cricket you wrote a lot and they have changed the structure. So I see a lot of similarities and I see a lot of positive changes in PCB. Now I don’t think they have read your posts and made those changes, before someone points that out. Even though they might make a few mistakes as well but the wholesale changes and reorganising almost every other department in PCB they are on the right path.

What are your thoughts on Nadeem Khan as Director-High performance?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah B
    Sarfaraz Ahmed B
    Abid Ali B
    Haris Sohail B

Questionable choices.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    By the way, looking at the list of players, it's make you realise why we are struggling these days.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Yasir Shah B
    Sarfaraz Ahmed B
    Abid Ali B
    Haris Sohail B

Questionable choices.
    Azhar Ali is also questionable since he should have been in C category at best...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah B
    Sarfaraz Ahmed B
    Abid Ali B
    Haris Sohail B

Questionable choices.
    Not sure about Yasir Shah, his recent form has not been good enough. He is very lucky to get a B contract, i would have put him on C.

Safaraz i would have excluded altogether.

Abid Ali has shown promise but a B contract is too soon. A C contract was fine at this stage.

Haris Sohail is too injury prone. A C contract was fine imo.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're highlighting his 30s which show how bad his performances have been, really.
    LOL I'm still waiting for his response to that

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand your point and that is why I have said that this stance can be argued. From PCB’s point of view if Amir is playing leagues around by choice for few months while Shaheen is toiling hard in test cricket why should Amir be getting a monthly salary from PCB when he by choice has said that he is not available for tests.

Also its pretty clear from the contracts that PCB has given more weightage to tests which I think is good and will encourage young pacers to have long and prosperous test careers.

There is no doubt Amir is a top LOI bowler when he is in his groove and he will still be getting his match fees as well as ICC tournament allowances and fees when he plays for Pakistan just like he will be getting his pay checks from leagues on match to match or year to year basis.

Though arguable, I personally dont mind the message. If a player has snt available for Pakistan full time for all the formats selectors want him for there is no reason for him to be getting monthly salary from PCB. He will get his match and tournument fees just like a person who works for a company pr project to project basis does.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali is also questionable since he should have been in C category at best...
    It seems Misbah is putting a clear message out there - play Test cricket to earn your contract.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems Misbah is putting a clear message out there - play Test cricket to earn your contract.
    And he is completely right. Tests are the premier format of cricket and that's how you develop cricketing fundamentals and remain a strong and respected cricket nation. Glad Misbahs is here and doing all this. Wonderful.