Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

BCCI's financial crisis due to Covid-19

Junior cricketers await award money from BCCI during lockdown crisis

Every time the teenaged Sidak Singh calls his family in Varanasi, he hopes they won’t ask him one question in particular: has he received his Rs 1.5 lakh award money and nearly 6 lakh in match fees from the Indian cricket board? His father is a clothes merchant whose small business has been affected by the Covid-19 situation and Sidak knows the money could help tide over the crisis. But it hasn’t been credited to his bank account yet. Not just Sidak but many junior cricketers haven’t yet received their award money from various age-group tournaments.

In January 2020, at a glittering award ceremony in Mumbai, Virat Kohli had handed the M.A. Chidambaram Trophy to Sidak’s father but four months later, the family still awaits the money. On March 11, the BCCI had mailed him a ‘payment advice’ which stated that they have initiated a credit of Rs 1,50,000 to his account but no cash has been deposited yet in the bank.

“It could be a technical issue, I don’t know, but the bank hasn’t credited my account. I checked with the bank and they said ‘check with BCCI’. Due to the lockdown, the offices are closed and I don’t know whom to ask,” Sidak told The Indian Express.

His father has a cloth shop at Ramnagar in Varanasi but the business has been hit in recent times. “Whenever I get a call from home or I call them, I don’t know what to say. I change the topic when the subject of money comes up. Soon they will be out of cash. I am here in Mumbai and can’t help much. I checked with friends and they too have not received it, maybe there is some technical issue,” the all-rounder said.

Many junior players awaiting award money

It’s not only Sidak who is yet to get his due. The Indian Express spoke to four other junior cricketers who confirmed that they are yet to receive the award money of Rs 1.5 lakh.

Aryan Hooda (Jharkhand under-16 who was the highest run-getter in the Vijay Merchant tournament), Abhishek Yadav (Jharkhand, the highest wicket-taker in the same tourney), Manan Hingrajia (Gujarat under-23, who was the highest run-getter in the under-23 CK Nayudu Trophy) and Apurva Anand (Bihar Cricket Association, highest wicket-taker in the under-19 Cooch Behar Trophy) have also not got their money yet.

Sikkim player Milind Kumar, the highest run-getter in the 2018-19 Ranji Trophy season, also confirmed that he is yet to receive the Rs 1.5 lakh award money.

Yadav said his emails haven’t elicited any response from the board.

“I sent emails twice but there has been no response. I tried to call but the BCCI office is closed. Due to the lockdown, that money is important for me. My father is Class D employee in Railways and my grandmother is in hospital – the money would have come in handy. My father had to take a loan now,” Yadav stated.

Like Sidak, Yadav too had received an email from the Indian board office, informing him that the payment has been initiated.

“I told my friend Aryan (Hooda) that it’s not showing in my bank account. He told me to wait for one week as it will be credited but it hasn’t till date,” Yadav said. The Bokaro boy approached his parent association Jharkhand Cricket Association, who advised him to speak to the Indian board as they can’t do much in this case. The board has been in the news for not paying dues of players and officials. Domestic players have been complaining that they haven’t received season fees for playing in the Ranji Trophy. Recently, board treasurer Arun Dhumal had stated that BCCI will make all the payments soon and that they have been delayed only because of the lockdown.

“The process has started. We have released payments to players, officials, and state associations. Because of the lockdown, things are slow. Our staff verifies documents of 150 players and officials daily, after which we send out instructions to release the payments. There could be a few cases where some might have not got match fees, including old dues like gross revenue share, but they will be getting it soon. Those who haven’t received payments will be getting it in the coming days,” Dhumal had said on Friday.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...kdown-6405227/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The treasurer of the world's richest cricketing body, Board of Control for Cricket in India, Arun Dhumal on Friday said as of now the board is not discussing to cut players fees despite facing financial loss due to the suspension of cricketing activities including the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Dhumal said that players pay cut would be the last thing to do. Cricket has been suspended since March in the country due to outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

"We are not discussing a pay cut as of now. We are hoping that despite the financial crisis we will be able to tide over it. But yes IPL would be a big revenue loss to BCCI, when a situation comes then we will think about it but that would be the last thing. In that case, we would resort to in terms of players fee cut at all. Ideally, we somehow want to manage it without going for that cutting option," Dhumal told ANI.

However, the treasurer admitted that the board will apply cost-cutting wherever possible and look for more revenue schemes to compensate for the loss.

"Whatever cost we can curtail or whatever saving we can, we are working on that. That is an ongoing process and that started before the pandemic only. We are working on that. Even this revenue loss we are going to come across, we will go for further major and curtail our cost and look at few more revenue schemes," Dhumal said.

The BCCI will cut down the expenses of its employees, as one of the measures, to overcome the revenue loss.

"As of now, there is nothing on the players' side. But on employees or officials, we are thinking wherever we can cut down the cost we are working on that. Wherever there is a possibility of cutting cost be it pertaining to travel, be it accommodation, be it pertaining to employees cost all those things will be looked at," he said.

Also talking about the post lockdown plans for the resumption of cricket Dhumal said the decision will be taken with regard to lockdown.

"Definitely, we are working on that aspect. As of now, given the lockdown condition whatever the coaching and support staff can do they are doing it so that their physical activities remain to strengthen. As soon as possible, if there is some relaxation with regard to the lockdown norms, we will figure out what to do. If travel restrictions are not there and if players can come to one place, we will do that. If that is not possible then depending on whatever travel restrictions are taken, skill-based training could be provided at local stadiums. We will look at those options as well," he said.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...cketers/352825
    Last edited by MenInG; 17th May 2020 at 01:51.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    It is the world’s richest cricket board, but even BCCI has conceded the Covid-19 pandemic could take a toll on its finances.

Its Apex Council meeting held last week discussed the possible financial hit the cricket body would take due to cancelled matches.

The Indian team’s kit sponsorship contract will end in September, and it was deliberated whether it would be the right time to approach the market with a new tender. “One option is to negotiate with Nike, or issue fresh tenders,” an official said.

Nike’s four-year deal with BCCI is worth R370 crore; approximately R87 lakh per match. While all earlier deals, be it media, title or jersey rights, saw an incremental increase, companies are now holding on to cash in times of distress. That means BCCI will need to get its strategy spot on.

The Indian board has also approached the union finance ministry for income-tax exemptions on revenue from hosting ICC world events. India is due to host the T20 World Cup in 2021 and the 2023 ODI World Cup. ICC has asked it to bear the tax liabilities for the two mega events, after failing to get exemption for the 2016 T20 World Cup hosted by the country.

“Let’s see what the government decides. This is not on their priority list right now,” the official said. The dispute from the 2016 T20 World Cup, amounting to $23.7mn, has been referred to ICC’s dispute resolution committee.

The Apex Council members were informed that not staging IPL this year would lead to a revenue loss of Rs 4,000 crore. BCCI continues efforts to find a window for staging the postponed IPL this year, but that would depend on government directives, taking into account the health situation in the country.

“We will have to examine our financial situation, see how much money we have and take a call. Not hosting IPL will cause losses to the tune of R4,000 crore. If IPL takes place, we won’t have to go in for pay cuts, we’ll manage things,” BCCI president Sourav Ganguly told Mid Day.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...D2xf3vThO.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    BCCI president Sourav Ganguly expressed is concerns about the financial conditions of BCCI if IPL does not take place this year. The former India captain said BCCI will have to incur a loss of around Rs. 4000 crore if IPL’s 13th edition does not take place due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

IPL 2020 was scheduled for a March 29 beginning this year but was suspended till April when Indian government banned foreign visas. Situations became more difficult for IPL when India was sent on a lockdown. BCCI had no choice but to postpone this year’s IPL for an indefinite period.

“We will have to examine our financial situation, see how much money we have and take a call. Not hosting the Indian Premier League (IPL) will cause losses to the tune of Rs. 4,000 crore which is huge,” Ganguly told mid-day.

The former India opener also hinted that the board might have to go on a paycut if the IPL doesn’t happen this year.

“If the IPL takes place, we won’t have to go in for pay cuts. We’ll manage things,” added Ganguly.

Suggestions were also made to host the IPL behind closed doors with no spectators in the ground. Reacting on the same, Ganguly said, the attraction will be less.

“Yes, the attraction will be less. I remember playing in such a scenario [when spectators were not allowed in for the final day after crowd disturbances at Eden Gardens] at the Asian Test Championship game against Pakistan in 1999 and there was a clear lack of excitement.

“If you have matches with restricted amount of crowds, not only would strict social distancing rules apply, the officials would also have to be very careful about how the spectators leave the galleries for home. The policing will have to be very strict. It’s a tough call and the situation we find ourselves in, is grave,” Ganguly added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...m4e21pFxK.html

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Allah is the best of planners.

The might of the Almighty dollar truly being exposed.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Indian cricketers should take a voluntary pay cut at his time

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I dont understand, it is safe to hold the IPL but not safe to hold the T-20 WC? It is safe to hold the IPL but not safe to hold the Asia Cup? I refuse to believe that the logistics of holding the IPL is easier vs the two global premier tournaments.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I dont understand, it is safe to hold the IPL but not safe to hold the T-20 WC? It is safe to hold the IPL but not safe to hold the Asia Cup? I refuse to believe that the logistics of holding the IPL is easier vs the two global premier tournaments.
    Where exactly do you get the idea that itís safe to host IPL? BCCI is trying hard to see if things improves by end of the year they might think of hosting it. They have been absolute clear from the beginning of the COVID that for them ICC events/ Asia cup isnít important when it comes to finance.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    In its new set of guidelines for the country-wide lockdown, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has permitted the opening of sports complexes and stadias in non-containment areas.

For the last couple of months, there has not been any sporting actions across the country, with the stadiums and other facilities out of bounds. So, this certainly has come as a boost for the sporting fraternity.

However, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) treasurer Arun Dhumal told Sportstar that they will assess the situation and then decide on the future course of action. “We are studying the directives. We will have to see how the state governments are going about it because some of the states have set different parameters for the lockdown. It is a state subject,” Dhumal said.

The Board’s treasurer also admitted that it will take a bit of time for the BCCI to take a call on the future. “Since state (air) travel has not been resumed, there are a lot of factors to be weighed in before we reach a conclusion,” Dhumal said.

“Whatever has to happen, we need to plan and work out the logistics. It will take some time for us to study the directive state-wise and come up with a plan,” Dhumal said.

Earlier, the Board was planning to go ahead with skill-based training for the players “once the lockdown was lifted”. There were discussions on having a ‘quarantine camp’ with the senior players, possibly at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru. However, with air travel still prohibited, the Board now needs to come out with an alternative plan to ensure that the players at least get back to training.

"BCCI will study guidelines at the state level and will work in sync with State Cricket Associations to chalk out a programme for skill-based training at a local level. The BCCI Office-Bearers will continue their interactions with the team management and draw up a suitable plan for the entire team once the situation further improves," the Board's statement released on Sunday night said.

Most of the state associations, too, are waiting for a formal directive from the ministry before going ahead with the future plans. Their first effort, however, will be to get the grounds back in shape.

In some of the cities, the stadiums are closer to the ‘containment zones’ as well. So, the associations want to be absolutely sure about the guidelines before reopening the stadiums. “The health and safety of the players and all the stakeholders are our primary concern. There has been a new set of guidelines. But we need to go through it and seek clarification from the Board and authorities before going ahead,” Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Avishek Dalmiya said.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le31609007.ece

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, hopefully bcci and Indian cricket loses lots of money and loses the monpoly it has over world cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is what it is.

BCCI (like all other boards) has to accept this loss. Losses are probably unavoidable currently.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that BCCI is wants a series with Sri Lanka shows how cash starved they are. But so is everyone else...and probably more than BCCI

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    The fact that BCCI is wants a series with Sri Lanka shows how cash starved they are. But so is everyone else...and probably more than BCCI
    I thought Ind would be travelling to SL. In which case SL gets all the $$$ generated. The touring team does not get any.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get your facts right. India is visiting SL which means SLCB will be making money not other way around.

BCCI have already mentioned earlier that they will try to help smaller cricket boards cope with COVID (financially) lockdown.

Iím not sure why are you so upset about India playing SL?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The latest guidelines on the extension of lockdown from the central government have finally opened up the spectre of training for athletes across India, with caveats.

“Sports complexes and stadia will be permitted to open only for sports activities. However, spectators will not be allowed in these complexes,” the MHA note on Sunday said.

This would allow the elite athletes, many of who are stuck in their hostel rooms at various Sports Authority of India centres across the country, to resume their practice and workouts. The athletes have been restricted since mid-March when the nation went into lockdown mode.

While this would allow non-contact sports to start training almost immediately, those with full or partial contact would be looking for further clarity before resuming full training. “We still need to clarify if all sports complexes are open or only training centres? The SAI centres are in any case not open to general public but every sport is different, so let us wait a day to know the details,” IOA president Narinder Batra said.

Uncertainty

The restrictions, however, mean only training facilities are likely to begin at the moment. There is also uncertainty on the complexes that can be opened up, since a lot of them also belong to various State governments.

However, the MHA guideline released on Sunday also says "all social/political/sports/entertainment/academic/cultural/religious functions/other gatherings and large congregations" are still prohibited, thereby casting a doubt on the resumption of competitive sport.

Meanwhile, the National Sports Federations preferred to wait for further clarity before deciding on their future course of action.

Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju had, in his recent interactions with athletes and administrators across sports, indicated the ministry’s attempts at phased resumption of training, at least for Olympics-bound athletes, by month-end.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/other...le31608567.ece

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Good, hopefully bcci and Indian cricket loses lots of money and loses the monpoly it has over world cricket.
    Instead you should hope that PCB earns lots of money.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U$ofA View Post
    I thought Ind would be travelling to SL. In which case SL gets all the $$$ generated. The touring team does not get any.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Get your facts right. India is visiting SL which means SLCB will be making money not other way around.

BCCI have already mentioned earlier that they will try to help smaller cricket boards cope with COVID (financially) lockdown.

Iím not sure why are you so upset about India playing SL?
    So are you two really saying India will make $0 from touring? Think before you answer

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    So are you two really saying India will make $0 from touring? Think before you answer
    They are stating the truth.

Do you have any idea how much reserves Bcci have?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post

Judging by the OP, basically not enough to pay peanuts to teenagers.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are stating the truth.

So India will make $0.00 by touring? There wonít be any tv revenue? Iím not talking about the reserves here. Read my post again before getting triggered.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Rs2000 crores or more than US200M.

Losing US500M in one year will always have counter measures to control expenses itís natural. Wait till ICC declares bankrupt after WT20 is called off(rightly so).

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is exactly what I m saying that BCCI is not going to make any cash of it. Iím sure BCCI is more interested in getting SLCB on board for future favours than making some petty cash.

Do you have a source where it says BCCI is getting cash from this series or just blowing hot air?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So India will make $0.00 by touring? There wonít be any tv revenue? Iím not talking about the reserves here. Read my post again before getting triggered.
    It has always been the case that host nation makes money. Maybe BCCI is trying to get SLCB on board to scrap ASIA CUP, so that BCCI could host IPL and make half a billion dollar

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is same with every board. Only the host country earns money and all the expenses (travel, food and lodging) of the visiting teams are met by the host country. The visiting country has no income or expense.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI just need to organize an IPL and they will be back in profit again for this year.
    People will be free in prime time (8PM to 12PM), so expecting a large viewership on TV and internet.
    What are the options for other boards??

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is exactly what I m saying that BCCI is not going to make any cash of it. Iím sure BCCI is more interested in getting SLCB on board for future favours than making some petty cash.

Do you have a source where it says BCCI is getting cash from this series or just blowing hot air?
    It has always been the case that host nation makes money. Maybe BCCI is trying to get SLCB on board to scrap ASIA CUP, so that BCCI could host IPL and make half a billion dollar
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    It is same with every board. Only the host country earns money and all the expenses (travel, food and lodging) of the visiting teams are met by the host country. The visiting country has no income or expense.
    BCCI gets sponsorship money for all away tours form all their sponsors (https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hindu...wT1dN_amp.html)

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Tv revenue goes to the host board not the touring one.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    BCCI gets sponsorship money for all away tours form all their sponsors (https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hindu...wT1dN_amp.html)
    Read the article.

These are indian companies sponsoring the NZC so that they can put their ads on nz grounds.Money goes to NZC coffers.

This is why Indian tour is so lucrative. The host board gets so much money from Indian sponsors who put their ads on foreign grounds so that Indians get to see it on Tv.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Rs2000 crores or more than US200M.

Losing US500M in one year will always have counter measures to control expenses itís natural. Wait till ICC declares bankrupt after WT20 is called off(rightly so).
    Bcci reserves are in excess of 1bn usd. 2 years back it was 750mn.

Then they hosted two IPLs and two seasons of international cricket with the new bumper tv deal.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    This is a valid question though. Why is BCCI penny pinching by keeping money away from teenagers

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    This is a valid question though. Why is BCCI penny pinching by keeping money away from teenagers
    Their entire payment system is in a quagmire.

Earlier they used to transfer money to state association and they would pay players.

It was then decided that BCCI would pay players directly.

Some associations opposed it.

So the matter is held up.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The world was in a "sheer shock" in the past few months due to the COVID-19 pandemic but BCCI president Sourav Ganguly is confident that life will be back to normal once the vaccine for the virus is developed.

All sport including cricket has fallen prey to the COVID-19 pandemic, which abruptly halted all the sporting events globally since March, thus disrupting the scheduling along with huge financial setbacks for the respective associations.

"This is something that has got the world in sheer shock. I think things will be back on track. We did not have the medicines to take care of it. But over a six-seven months' period once the vaccine comes up everything will be normal," Ganguly said during a live class on 'Unacademy' app.

"We have this tremendous resistance in ourselves. I think cricket will be back to normal. Yes, there will be some changes in schedule but think the BCCI and the ICC will be hell bent to get cricket back to normal.

Ganguly believes once the vaccine is out, the virus will be like any other health issues like flu or jaundice but with a cure.

"Cricket will be very strong. There will be different tests, medical examinations for players, but I don't see it coming in the way of sport and it will go forward. As the vaccine comes out, it's going to be normal life I think. If you fall sick, whether you have fever, jaundice you pick those medicines and get better."

Ganguly, who went on to become one of the most successful captains of India having made his Test debut with a century at Lord's, also went down the memory lane and said he'd become a cricketer by "accident".

Having taken up football seriously, he was asked by his father to join a cricket coaching to keep away from playing mischief and there was no looking back since then.

"Football was my life. I was very good at it till class nine. During one summer vacation, my father (late Chandi Ganguly, who was in the Cricket Association of Bengal) told me you're doing nothing at home go and practice. He put me into a cricket academy.

"I loved going there because it kept me away from home my parents, my brothers, my family, who were very disciplined. For me, this was a time away from them. I don't know what my coach saw in me he told my father you should take him out of football. So I got into cricket."

Recollecting getting a hundred against Odisha at Eden in an age-group match, Ganguly said: "Five-six players got sick because of typhoid and an SOS came our academy. I was fortunate to be one of them. I was nowhere but I got a hundred and then everything went off well. I became an accidental cricketer."

Ganguly said he had to fit into his elder brother Snehashish's kits so he became a left-hander.

"I had stopped playing for two-three months since then and then the CAB called for the trials. I had no kit. My brother played cricket and he was a lefthander. I had to adjust to a left-hander's kit, the gloves and all."

"I'm lucky that I played this game. I have seen this game evolve from the time I started," Ganguly said adding that his real inspiration came when the Kapil Dev-led India lifted the World Cup for the first time in 1983.

Picking his Lord's debut hundred as the best moment of his career, he said: "I had a debut hundred in Duleep Trophy, made a debut in Ranji final for Bengal but it was like a fairytale to get hundred at Lord's."

"It will remain with me forever. My mindset that day I feel was the best that I had ever. Maybe the destiny was with me to become a Test cricketer. I proved myself that I belong here," he added.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...ganguly/353824

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    CHENNAI: Economic ripples of the Covid-19 pandemic have hit the world of cricket. The boards of Australia, Pakistan and the West Indies have either announced salary cuts for players and staff or working on cutting cost. Compared to others, the Indian cricket board (BCCI) seems to be on a better wicket.

The BCCI has not announced any pay cut yet. Nor is it thinking on lines of laying off employees. Other than players and coaches, the board has around 100 persons on its payrolls at the headquarters in Mumbai and National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru. Unless things get worse, the BCCI doesn’t see major changes.

“The BCCI has done some cost control after the elected office-bearers took charge last October. The process started before the pandemic. But there has been no pay cut or lay-off as of now. We have cut cost on other fronts like travel, hospitality, etc,” said BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal.

However, the BCCI might be forced to think of something else if the IPL is not held this year, considering that losses will run up to nearly Rs 3,500cr. “IPL not happening will have a huge impact and we will assess the situation before taking a fresh call,” said Dhumal.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...t-2152919.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    While cricketers across the globe are all set to get back on the cricket field, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly has clarified that Indian players won't be part of any camp before August.

The Pakistan cricket team left for England on Sunday for a three-match Test series as well as a three-match T20I series. While cricket is slowly returning back to normalcy, the Indian cricket fans will still have to wait for a while as the Indian cricket team is unlikely to start training before August.

As reported by ABP news, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly opined that Team India camp won’t start before August.

In the last few weeks, several Indian cricketers took to social media to post photographs from the ground after staying for more than three months in lockdown. India’s limited-overs vice-captain Rohit Sharma took to social media to write: “Good to be back on the park getting some work done felt like myself after a long time.”

The BCCI is trying hard to host the Indian Premier League (IPL) at some point later this year. While the Indian board is eyeing the September-November window, a lot depends on the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) final call over the future of 2020 World T20 – which was scheduled to be held in Australia from October 18.

Pakistan is looking to host the Asia Cup in either Sri Lanka or UAE from September-October, as well as the remaining matches of Pakistan Super League (PSL) in November. To avoid any clash, the BCCI has written to the PCB asking them to postpone PSL matches for next year.

“Asia Cup will be a struggle this year. Going by the statement of the Chief Executive of the PCB, the window that suits them doesn’t suit India. Maybe they can postpone PSL next year if BCCI is able to open up a window during that period. Otherwise conducting the Asia Cup doesn’t seem too practical as these are challenging times,” an official was quoted as saying by the Times of India.

India remains to be in a worrisome state with over 15, 000 fresh cases of coronavirus being reported on a daily basis. Several modes of transport have once again been suspended keeping in mind the spike.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ganguly/613401

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    While the health of BCCI’s balance-sheet hinges greatly on IPL, Covid-19 has begun to eat into India’s equally lucrative bilateral calendar. At its apex council meet on Friday, BCCI will look to reshape its engagements that are part of the Future Tours Program (FTP).

BCCI on its website has already announced a refund of around R33 crore to various stakeholders, including broadcasters and sponsors, for the two ODIs against South Africa that were postponed in March. It will look for an alternative window for the South Africa ODIs as well as the six-match limited-overs series against England in September that will be postponed.

The revenue from these eight matches for BCCI come to approximately R575 crore, going by the average per match broadcast and other sponsorships. A major chunk of the revenue comes from Star India’s broadcast rights—R480 crore (R60 crore per match). Jersey rights (Byjus), title rights (Paytm), kit sponsorship (Nike) as well as other official partners (Dream11, Ambuja Cement and Hyundai) complete BCCI’s revenue sources for international cricket at home.

“The limited-overs matches against England may be clubbed with the Test series, when they are scheduled to return in February,” a BCCI official said. But with India and England slated to play a five-Test series, the tour could get too long and the Tests may have to be reduced.

BCCI will continue to look for a window so that IPL, its postponed R4,000 crore-a-year property, can be staged this year. It will be a key issue in the 11-point agenda for the apex council meeting.

The board is planning a late September-early October start for IPL, if it can hold the league.

“All options need to be explored. The first option is India but you don’t know how the situation will be. There is UAE and Sri Lanka, but taking out IPL will increase the overheads. I think the president (Sourav Ganguly) also recently said that,” PTI quoted a senior BCCI official, who did not wish to be named.

“I don’t think we are still in a position to fix venues in a situation which is so fluid. But the plans and the tentative window need to be ready so that once ICC makes a formal announcement of T20 World Cup (scheduled in Australia for October-November) cancellation next week, we can proceed.”

The ICC Board meets on Monday.

BCCI is the world’s richest cricket board because sponsors contribute handsomely even when the team tours. India’s away programme has been badly hit by the virus with three white-ball matches against Zimbabwe, six against Sri Lanka, and the Asia Cup (3 India league matches) already postponed.

BCCI was also in talks with South Africa to tour for a 3-match T20 series in August. The 3 T20s scheduled against Australia in October may now be clubbed with the full India tour in December-January. “With the T20 World Cup set to be postponed, there is no point in travelling to Australia for a three-match T20 series,” the official said.

But for the virus disruption, Virat Kohli’s men would be busy hopping continents now; these 18 away matches would have added another R90 crore in jersey and kit sponsorship contracts that remain active even when India tour.

For everything else, there will be forward planning—provided the pandemic allows.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...8r9jVNaUM.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    MUMBAI: The Ranji Trophy and the Under-19 Vinoo Mankad Trophy are the only two domestic tournaments that will be played in the country this coming season as India, along with the rest of the world, tries to escape a relentless pandemic.

The BCCI has decided to do away with the Duleep Trophy, the Deodhar Trophy, the Vijay Hazare Trophy and the CK Nayudu Under-23 tournament while an effort is on to try and see if the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament can be accommodated this year.

The Ranji Trophy, as TOI understands, is likely to go back to its most-initial-phase format for this year alone with teams being grouped geographically into five zones – North, West, South, East and Central. The initial matches will be played within the zones to determine a winner, following which the five individual zone winners will compete in a knockout tournament to decide the final winner.

A thought process on these lines has been laid out by the BCCI, the operations and logistics of which are currently being worked upon. Finer aspects to the detailing, such as whether the zonal matches will be played on a knockout basis or a league basis, how big a concern will hospitality become, whether defined periods of quarantining teams and players will be required are being looked into.

Should the plans to go ahead with Ranji in the above-mentioned format fall in place, similar principles will be applied to the under-19 tournament, the only domestic tournament that BCCI is particularly keen to host right now other than the Ranji.

“Right now, there’s still just an outside chance of including Mushtaq Ali (T20 tournament) in the plans. Let’s see how things work out,” say those in the know.

The decision to ensure that the Ranji Trophy is played even if no other tournament happens was a fairly easy one for the Board to arrive at considering it is the only tournament in India’s vast domestic circuit – outside of the Indian Premier League (IPL) – that ensures relatively higher salaries for cricketers.

“Cricketers don’t earn from any other domestic tournament in the country the way they earn from IPL. Ranji is the second highest paying tournament.

Eight teams play the IPL, 38 teams play the Ranji. Players earn anywhere between (Rs) 10-12 lakh per Ranji season or more and some state associations also share sponsorship money. It’s a source of livelihood for many cricketers, who earn by playing the game. That is why it is important for the Ranji Trophy to happen,” say those tracking developments.

A total of 38 teams works out to a little more than 500 players in the Ranji Trophy every year. Players for the Duleep Trophy and the Irani Cup come through Ranji but those salaries aren’t close to what Ranji helps them earn.

“In these times of Covid, it is important that all players continue to receive their fair share of money and respect,” sources say.

As for under-19, BCCI considers it to be the age-group that keeps churning out talent and considering how players may miss a huge opportunity if they miss an entire season (and go beyond the age limit), “it’s is important to consider it, even if it means playing in zonal territories,” they add.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...2.cms?from=mdr

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Asserting that “nothing has happened” in the past 10 months, Indian Cricketers’ Association president Ashok Malhotra on Monday urged the BCCI to look into the body’s long-standing demands, saying the ageing former players cannot wait forever.

Malhotra, who has been accused by the ICA directors of making public statements and approaching BCCI on important matters concerning the players’ body without discussing them internally, said it is high time the Board pays heed to ICA’s demands.

The demands include pension for former players who have played less than 25 first-class games, pension for widows of former cricketers, increase in medical insurance from Rs 5 lakh to 10 lakh and a benevolent fund to Manoj Prabhakar, whose BCCI ban ended in 2005 for match-fixing charges against him.

“It has been close to 10 months (since the Sourav Ganguly-led BCCI took charge) but nothing has happened for the former players. The ICA after all, is for the welfare of former cricketers and some of them who are as old as 70, cannot wait forever,” Malhotra told PTI.

“I request the BCCI again to look into our demands. There are three former cricketers on the BCCI Apex Council (Ganguly and ICA representatives Shantha Rangaswamy and Anshuman Gaekwad. I am sure they understand the plight of the former cricketers. Four meetings (Apex Council) have taken place but nothing has happened,” he said.

In his latest video sent to ICA members, Malhotra courted controversy by saying that he was not concerned about domestic cricket and the current administrative mess in Bihar cricket.

“I had simply said that my concern and focus is on ICA and welfare of former cricketers. It is natural as I am the ICA president. What have we done in the last 10 months? Nothing, apart from raising money for former cricketers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Malhotra.

The ICA, India’s first ever players’ association formed as per recommendations of the Supreme Court-appointed Lodha panel, was granted Rs 2 crore by the BCCI, earlier this year, to kick-start its operations. However, it is expected to sustain itself in the long-run.

Talking about the infighting in the ICA, Malhotra added: “Whenever I make a point, it is objected to more often than not. At the end of the day, we are all there to take care of former players.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le32135810.ece

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Covid-19 Impacts BCCI, Pay-cuts and Layoffs on the Cards: Report

Despite stiff financial constraints during the pandemic, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has successfully managed to save jobs of its employees. Well no longer.

Cricketnext Staff |August 21, 2020, 3:55 PM IST

Despite stiff financial constraints during the pandemic, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has successfully managed to save jobs of its employees. Well no longer. If a senior official is to be believed, BCCI is soon going to adopt cost-cutting measures if the situation doesnít improve by the day. "We are yet to discuss the issue of salary cuts. But we will deliberate on the issue in a meeting and discuss how much will be the impact of all these things, and after keeping all that in mind we will take a call," the official told news agency IANS.

"Yes, there are chances of pay-cuts or layoffs as well," he made it very very clear. The Corona Virus pandemic saw sports bodies and professional teams operating on a tight leash. As a result, staff were laid off on a quick notice. No audience meant no gate receipts which severely impacted the revenues of large sporting organisations. Organisations like Cricket Australia,Windies Cricket, ECB and NZC have already reduced the salaries of players and staff.

Earlier BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal had hinted that the future of its employees now depends on the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The richest cricket board in the world has managed to stay afloat without any lay off but did cost-cutting measures on the travel and hospitality front. "We will discuss it since the IPL is happening now. A lot will depend on the success of IPL as well. Title sponsorship deal (of Rs 222 crore) is not that huge compared to previous one (Vivo's Rs 440 crore). So let's see what can be done with minimum damage," the official added.

Link: https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...t-2807465.html

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post

Despite stiff financial constraints during the pandemic, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has successfully managed to save jobs of its employees. Well no longer.

Cricketnext Staff |August 21, 2020, 3:55 PM IST

Despite stiff financial constraints during the pandemic, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has successfully managed to save jobs of its employees. Well no longer. If a senior official is to be believed, BCCI is soon going to adopt cost-cutting measures if the situation doesn’t improve by the day. "We are yet to discuss the issue of salary cuts. But we will deliberate on the issue in a meeting and discuss how much will be the impact of all these things, and after keeping all that in mind we will take a call," the official told news agency IANS.

"Yes, there are chances of pay-cuts or layoffs as well," he made it very very clear. The Corona Virus pandemic saw sports bodies and professional teams operating on a tight leash. As a result, staff were laid off on a quick notice. No audience meant no gate receipts which severely impacted the revenues of large sporting organisations. Organisations like Cricket Australia,Windies Cricket, ECB and NZC have already reduced the salaries of players and staff.

Earlier BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal had hinted that the future of its employees now depends on the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The richest cricket board in the world has managed to stay afloat without any lay off but did cost-cutting measures on the travel and hospitality front. "We will discuss it since the IPL is happening now. A lot will depend on the success of IPL as well. Title sponsorship deal (of Rs 222 crore) is not that huge compared to previous one (Vivo's Rs 440 crore). So let's see what can be done with minimum damage," the official added.

Link: https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...t-2807465.html
    Where did all the billions go?

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they know what Pakistan have been through this past decade!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think sports across will have a loss, question is whether BCCI can get their home in order by next year.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mumbai Cricket Association Apex Council member and noted curator Nadim Memon has urged the BCCI to organise the Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy here saying the city has enough grounds to host the domestic T20 tournament.

In an e-mail to BCCI chief Saurav Ganguly, Memon said, “Mumbai should be given responsibility to organise the Mushtaq Ali Tournament. We can start with BCCI Mushtaq Ali Tournament season 2020 in Mumbai.”

He reasoned that the city has six good quality cricket stadiums with all the facilities and good hotels.

“Mumbai has six good quality stadiums ground with all facilities and good hotels. All cricketers/officials’ safety will be taken care, as per the BCCI guidelines. Mumbai has organised in February/March 2020 All India Women’s BCCI One Day tournament successfully in 20 days,” wrote Memon.

“We need to think positive and arrange the tournament for the bread and butter of the upcoming cricketers.”

He said the BCCI should ensure that players are tested for COVID-19 on their arrival in Mumbai hotels and again three to four days before tournament.

“Players will not be allowed to go out or meet any outsiders. (They must) stay in hotel room with all facilities available. They should go to stadium in a fixed bus. Same thing will be followed with BCCI match officials of the tournament,” he said.

There is still no official word from the BCCI on domestic cricket in the country.

Indian Cricketers Association chief Ashok Malhotra, himself a former player, backed Memon’s demand. He said domestic cricket is the lifeline for several players who don’t have any jobs.

“Domestic tournamemts can be organised at one city or state -- be it Mumbai, Andhra or Kerala or Bengaluru, where there are multiple facilities. Many countries are organising domestic cricket,” he said.

Mumbai is one of the worst COVID-19 affected cities in the country with over one lakh cases. Cricket in the city has come to a grinding halt since mid March.

The MCA has three grounds -- Wankhede, BKC and Sachin Tendulkar Gymkhana in Kandivili. Additionally, there is DY Patil Stadium at Navi Mumbai and Dadoji K Stadium in neighbouring Thane. The Brabourne Stadium in South Mumbai is owned by the Cricket Club of India.
    Last edited by MenInG; 21st September 2020 at 11:54.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    NO INDIA matches since February, its showpiece IPL playing out in a bio-bubble of empty stands in the UAE, the world’s richest cricket body is now quietly tightening its belt.

Marking its first big staff lay-offs since the Covid outbreak, the BCCI has decided to not renew the annual contracts of 11 coaches at its premier National Cricket Academy (NCA), including five retired India players —Ramesh Powar, SS Das, Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Subroto Banerjee and Sujith Somsundar.

The Indian Express has learnt that former India captain Rahul Dravid, who had handpicked the team after taking over as Head of Cricket at NCA, informed the coaches last week about the termination of their services.

Those who have been asked to leave include domestic stalwart Sitanshu Kotak.
    The 11 coaches were employed on one-year contracts that are set to expire this month, on salaries ranging from Rs 30-55 lakh. And at least five of them told The Indian Express that they were not alerted before the decision was taken or given a “real reason”.

Dravid, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly and board secretary Jay Shah did not respond to queries from The Indian Express.

“We received a call from Rahul (Dravid) two days ago and he informed us that BCCI has decided not to renew our contract. There was no real reason given to us. He said he tried his best to retain us but he couldn’t do anything further. For the past three months, we have been attending webinars and planning activities for after Covid-19. Now suddenly, we are told that our services are no longer needed,” said one of the coaches

“We have been told this at a time when many state associations have already appointed coaches for their teams. It will be tough for us to get new assignments in this Covid time,” another coach said.

Cricketing activities at the NCA had come to a complete halt since the Covid lockdown in March. However, earlier this month, BCCI-contracted players were given the option of training at the Bengaluru-based academy.

In 2019, on Dravid’s recommendation, the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators had recruited these coaches to manage the heavy workload at the country’s premier academy.

Apart from helping the men’s and women’s senior teams during camps and rehabilitation programmes, the coaches were involved in training India-A, India U-19 and India U-23 developmental sides.

With the NCA also involved in identifying and nurturing talent, the coaches were drafted to work for 120 days a year.

“The NCA doesn’t function for the full year. So it was decided that we have to give 120 days to NCA where we work with seniors, India-A, India under-19, India under-23 and other specialised camps, which are conducted every year,” a coach said.

It’s not as if the BCCI is running out of money, though. According to the last balance sheet made public by the board, it had cash and bank balance of Rs 5,526 crore, as of March 2018, including Rs 2,992 crore in fixed deposits.

In April 2018, the BCCI signed a five-year broadcasting deal with Star TV worth Rs 6,138.1 crore.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...ademy-6606884/

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    BCCI was tightening its purses in the IPL even before Covid

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    NO INDIA matches since February, its showpiece IPL playing out in a bio-bubble of empty stands in the UAE, the world’s richest cricket body is now quietly tightening its belt.

Marking its first big staff lay-offs since the Covid outbreak, the BCCI has decided to not renew the annual contracts of 11 coaches at its premier National Cricket Academy (NCA), including five retired India players —Ramesh Powar, SS Das, Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Subroto Banerjee and Sujith Somsundar.

The Indian Express has learnt that former India captain Rahul Dravid, who had handpicked the team after taking over as Head of Cricket at NCA, informed the coaches last week about the termination of their services.

Those who have been asked to leave include domestic stalwart Sitanshu Kotak.
    The 11 coaches were employed on one-year contracts that are set to expire this month, on salaries ranging from Rs 30-55 lakh. And at least five of them told The Indian Express that they were not alerted before the decision was taken or given a “real reason”.

Dravid, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly and board secretary Jay Shah did not respond to queries from The Indian Express.

“We received a call from Rahul (Dravid) two days ago and he informed us that BCCI has decided not to renew our contract. There was no real reason given to us. He said he tried his best to retain us but he couldn’t do anything further. For the past three months, we have been attending webinars and planning activities for after Covid-19. Now suddenly, we are told that our services are no longer needed,” said one of the coaches

“We have been told this at a time when many state associations have already appointed coaches for their teams. It will be tough for us to get new assignments in this Covid time,” another coach said.

Cricketing activities at the NCA had come to a complete halt since the Covid lockdown in March. However, earlier this month, BCCI-contracted players were given the option of training at the Bengaluru-based academy.

In 2019, on Dravid’s recommendation, the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators had recruited these coaches to manage the heavy workload at the country’s premier academy.

Apart from helping the men’s and women’s senior teams during camps and rehabilitation programmes, the coaches were involved in training India-A, India U-19 and India U-23 developmental sides.

With the NCA also involved in identifying and nurturing talent, the coaches were drafted to work for 120 days a year.

“The NCA doesn’t function for the full year. So it was decided that we have to give 120 days to NCA where we work with seniors, India-A, India under-19, India under-23 and other specialised camps, which are conducted every year,” a coach said.

It’s not as if the BCCI is running out of money, though. According to the last balance sheet made public by the board, it had cash and bank balance of Rs 5,526 crore, as of March 2018, including Rs 2,992 crore in fixed deposits.

In April 2018, the BCCI signed a five-year broadcasting deal with Star TV worth Rs 6,138.1 crore.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...ademy-6606884/
    This is a lie. The coaches were fired because they were handpicked by the outgoing CoA without any interviews. The outgoing staff trying to gather sympathy.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.tim...w/78267128.cms

Bro can you please post the above article in full as i am posting from my phone..

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is a lie. The coaches were fired because they were handpicked by the outgoing CoA without any interviews. The outgoing staff trying to gather sympathy.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.tim...w/78267128.cms

Bro can you please post the above article in full as i am posting from my phone..
    Is CoA done and finished? Also is there any chance of having a new IPL team esp Gujarat ? IPL can easily have 2 more teams..

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Is CoA done and finished? Also is there any chance of having a new IPL team esp Gujarat ? IPL can easily have 2 more teams..
    Yes CoA is done.

Atleast 2 teams will join IPL in 2021 or 2022.Covid has derailed the plans currently. But IPL expansion is confirmed before 2023.

Atleast 4 cities are in fray,

Ahmedabad, Adanis want to buy a team there.

Pune: Goenkas who owned Rising Pune Super giants for 2 years want to continue their association with IPL. They apparently tried to buy the Rajasthan team and things were moving well. Then Lalit Modi apparently stepped into negotiate for RR and Goenkas backed out, not wanting to deal with a fugitive.

Ranchi: The Tatas wantva piece of the IPL and apparently Dhoni may be part of it post retirement.

Kanpur: Some businesmen and one UP bcci babu,( not hard to guess who is he) want a team for UP.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes CoA is done.

Atleast 2 teams will join IPL in 2021 or 2022.Covid has derailed the plans currently. But IPL expansion is confirmed before 2023.

Atleast 4 cities are in fray,

Ahmedabad, Adanis want to buy a team there.

Pune: Goenkas who owned Rising Pune Super giants for 2 years want to continue their association with IPL. They apparently tried to buy the Rajasthan team and things were moving well. Then Lalit Modi apparently stepped into negotiate for RR and Goenkas backed out, not wanting to deal with a fugitive.

Ranchi: The Tatas wantva piece of the IPL and apparently Dhoni may be part of it post retirement.

Kanpur: Some businesmen and one UP bcci babu,( not hard to guess who is he) want a team for UP.
    Thanks nice to know, it defn deserves two more teams esp Ahmedabad and honestly would be great for UP/MP to have a team as well but whatever is appropriate.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Thanks nice to know, it defn deserves two more teams esp Ahmedabad and honestly would be great for UP/MP to have a team as well but whatever is appropriate.
    All comes down to BID AMOUNT sir.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bhai, I am not that well versed with BCCI workings, but any hints on who the UP babu is, would be much appreciated.

Would love to have a team from UP/Bihar in the IPL

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Apex Council of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) met virtually on Saturday and the three major areas of focus as per the agenda was the upcoming tour of Australia, England's visit post the Australia series and starting the Indian domestic season with an eye on the coronavirus pandemic. Speaking to ANI, a BCCI official who was part of the meeting said that the board is very much looking at hosting England in India and bio-secure bubble will be created in three-four venues with the pink-ball Test either being played in Ahmedabad or Kolkata.

"The idea is to create bio-secure bubble across three to four venues as per permission from the government. The pink-ball Test will be held either in Ahmedabad or Kolkata. That call will be taken at the right time looking at the conditions. But yes, England is coming over to India," the official said.

Asked about the Australia series, the official said that the 14-day quarantine will happen as of now. One of the major areas of concern when it comes to the Australia series was the quarantine period that the Indian players need to undergo after moving to the country post the IPL in the UAE.

While the Australian government had time and again hinted that there cannot be any relaxation, the BCCI has been requesting Cricket Australia to find a solution as the Indian players are already part of the bio-secure bubble due to the ongoing IPL.

"Looks like the quarantine phase will remain 14 days. The venues remain as it was and the itinerary has come in. We will be going directly from the UAE so the idea is to see if the quarantine period can be decreased. But as of now, doesn't look like," the official said.

The fate of the domestic season and the domestic cricketers is definitely something that still hangs in balance because creating individual bio-secure bubbles to host a complete Ranji Trophy season doesn't look feasible in the current scenario. Calls have been made to play out the Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament as that would be more convenient.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/engl...report-2311743