Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    132,796
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    [VIDEO] Improve your English, personality: Tanvir Ahmed’s advice to Babar Azam





    Pakistan limited-overs captain Babar Azam is regarded as one of the best batsmen in cricket at the moment. Babar often sees himself being compared to India cricket team captain Virat Kohli. But former Pakistan cricketer Tanvir Ahmed believes that the player needs to work on his personality. Speaking in a Youtube video, the former Pakistan bowler said that Babar will need to be communicate with media as captain of the team, and hence also needs to work on improving his English.

    “Try to improve your personality. By personality, I mean a person can change his dressing sense. Babar Azam also needs to improve his English, which is necessary. Whenever someone becomes a captain, he has to talk during the toss and post-match presentation. Plus, he will also give interviews on various channels when he tours different countries."

    Tanvir added: “A leader needs to be punctual and organised as the players follow the captain. He should also maintain his fitness level, because if the captain himself isn’t fit, then he can’t advise other players on improving their fitness,” he said.

    “It remains to be seen how Babar leads the team. He needs to be mentally strong as even a slight dip in performance as captain will invite a lot criticism from media. So he will have to tolerate the criticism and not react to it. If he reacts, then things will get very difficult for him,” he added.

    He further said: “Captaincy isn’t an easy job. However, I am happy for Babar as he has become captain after only five years since making his debut in 2015. If any player becomes a captain in such a short period of time, then it is an extra-ordinary achievement for him.”

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...w39GdHkJN.html
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 17th May 2020 at 21:27.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    1,351
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok hampte kapmpte fat crickiter who played only a test yes your advice matters a lot

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    132,796
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Dont recall Tanvir Ahmed as a great English speaker - but his advice is fair - Babar can improve himself if he gets his English sorted as well.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    16,028
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Tanvir Ahmed has surprisingly given some decent suggestions. I am pretty sure Babar will keep on improving in his new role in every aspect just like he did when he was just a player. His attitude to keep on improving and his self discipline have taken him so far and if he continues that I am pretty sure he will grow in this role in every aspect too.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    1,026
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Dont recall Tanvir Ahmed as a great English speaker - but his advice is fair - Babar can improve himself if he gets his English sorted as well.
    Tanvir Ahmed is one of the very few Pakistani cricketers who was very fluent in English. But his advice is not necessary. Azam should rather focus on how to take Pakistan cricket forward rather than these meaningless things.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    21,845
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I think Tanvir Ahmed has surprisingly given some decent suggestions. I am pretty sure Babar will keep on improving in his new role in every aspect just like he did when he was just a player. His attitude to keep on improving and his self discipline have taken him so far and if he continues that I am pretty sure he will grow in this role in every aspect too.
    I feel that the guy could actually hold a lot of weight with his views if he had played around 30 Tests. Heís not as thick as he is made out to be.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    26,355
    Mentioned
    1361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good advice

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    226
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it can happen. Let's not forget that Wasim Akram when he went to Lancashire in his early days barely spoke much English (as per David 'Bumble Lloyd) but soon picked up the lingo and is now a fairly articulate guy.

    @Sher Khan it's true that the main things that will make Babar take Pakistan cricket toward are his leadership and his performances. However, the ability to be fluent and even somewhat articulate in English would increase his respect in the dressing room and amongst fans. As an example, Kumara Sangakkara's almost statesman like ability to speak (aside obvs from his great record) not only got him respect in SL but in international circles as well, because not all Sri Lankans spoke as eloquently as he did...

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    21,845
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    And it can happen. Let's not forget that Wasim Akram when he went to Lancashire in his early days barely spoke much English (as per David 'Bumble Lloyd) but soon picked up the lingo and is now a fairly articulate guy.

    @Sher Khan it's true that the main things that will make Babar take Pakistan cricket toward are his leadership and his performances. However, the ability to be fluent and even somewhat articulate in English would increase his respect in the dressing room and amongst fans. As an example, Kumara Sangakkara's almost statesman like ability to speak (aside obvs from his great record) not only got him respect in SL but in international circles as well, because not all Sri Lankans spoke as eloquently as he did...
    Wasim was a ladís lad. Babar is a shy bloke and has more of a Michael Jordan kind of work ethic.

  10. #10
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    226
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Wasim was a ladís lad. Babar is a shy bloke and has more of a Michael Jordan kind of work ethic.
    Yeah man, thats a good point. Personality does play a role in how much you open yourself to new areas (I.e. bettering your English)

    I did appreciate that Michael Jordan reference too. InshAllah in about 15 years we see a 'Last Dance' style documentary on Babar, and InshAllah how he had a part to play in Pakistan winning many trophies, world cups etc by the end of his career.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    21,845
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    Yeah man, thats a good point. Personality does play a role in how much you open yourself to new areas (I.e. bettering your English)

    I did appreciate that Michael Jordan reference too. InshAllah in about 15 years we see a 'Last Dance' style documentary on Babar, and InshAllah how he had a part to play in Pakistan winning many trophies, world cups etc by the end of his career.
    I think the Wasim example would fit well with Shadab and Hassan Ali, these boys can go far with personal development with more exposure to western culture and social settings, although they donít seem to be talented or smart enough to find a balance between playing cricket and socialising the way Wasim Akram did.

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    2,094
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Personality doesn’t matter much. English isn’t absolutly essential either but now would’ve been a good time to learn it with the lack of cricket going on.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    3,028
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím a manager to a large team And I understand what Tanvir is trying to say and it is very advice about being a leader.

    Yes, Babar is a good Batsman and scores run but does he inspire others in his team to do well? Do other players look up to him as a LEADER in his team? Do other players look at him and think ĎI want to become the next captainí

    So yes, by barber having a bright personality he will then be able to rally his troops he will be able to get the best out of them. He will be able to inspire them.

    If Babar dresses well, speaks well and performs then people will look up to him and be inspired to do well. They will want to be the next barber Azam. Itís not about just being a great Batsman or captain, itís about being all that and inspire people to be want to be In your position so the next generations follow suit.

    He should look good he is an ambassador of Pakistanís cricket and represents Pakistan all over the world so yes he should be able to talk and look good. Be a professional and act like a LEADER and SET HIGH STANDARDS in your team an LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

    Make your position look admirable and do the best you can and everything that goes into it and you will set the trends for future generations and be remembered as a legend.

    Itís not just about being a run scorer, take Sachin for example a great run scorer but never a good leader.

    Thatís the difference between a good captain or a Great leader. Look at Imran he was mesmerising not because he was only a good player but he was able to inspire people and get them to want to be the best. Everyone wanted to be Imran Khan.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,934
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what the fixation is with seeing Babar as an Imran or Kohli type leader. Why can't he just be who he is? Rather than something he is not. There is nothing wrong with being mild-mannered if you can manage the team, score the runs and captain well on the field. I also do not understand the fixation with English either. I know many of you here will say: "that well its embarrassing when he has to talk in Urdu and someone has to translate it", why does any of this matter? Inzamam spoke the most bare-bones English you're ever likely to hear and that didn't matter either.

    I don't know where we adopted this mentality that knowing English is somehow necessary for our players. You don't at all see this in football and frankly its ludicrous and unimportant. I would not care if Babar spoke in Urdu, Punjabi or barely coherent English.

    Also, Tanvir Ahmed is the last person who should be saying anything about anyone's personality. Where does he get off talking about someone's personality and dressing sense? He is an incredibly toxic guy, even for an ex-player...and should be kept as far away from TV as possible.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,873
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good stuff.

    He won't be taken seriously anywhere in the -cricketing- world if he doesn't have a personality or can't communicate properly.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    2,172
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's not saying anything negative to be fair. He's actually made some good points.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,534
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English can be improved yes but personality cannot be changed. What will matter the most is how quickly Babar will Learn and improve.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,674
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is not captaincy material. And no its not because of his English, he lacks the kind of imposing personality a leader needs.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,763
    Mentioned
    1217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Babar is not captaincy material. And no its not because of his English, he lacks the kind of imposing personality a leader needs.
    Initially thatís what I thought too but Kane Williamson is also a quiet humble guy. Babar would do very well if he can emulate him.

    Donít expect an aggressive Kohli or IK.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,674
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Initially thatís what I thought too but Kane Williamson is also a quiet humble guy. Babar would do very well if he can emulate him.

    Donít expect an aggressive Kohli or IK.
    Babar is more like Sachin than Williamson imo.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,223
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Interacted with Babar a few times in person and he's a very very shy guy ! Reserved

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    3,028
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Interacted with Babar a few times in person and he's a very very shy guy ! Reserved

    My whole point. How is a reserved shy guy going to lead an international cricket team? Especially a Pakistani cricket team. He is a great batsmen in the making but defiantly not captaincy material

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    313
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angrez chale gaye angrezi **** gae.. I don't get the requirement of English for a sportsperson.
    As a professional software engineer, I understand i need to know english but Sports person should only be judged on his skills. Translators can translate if needed.
    Upto babar to learn to speak in english but it is not mandatory. Focus on primary skills.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,763
    Mentioned
    1217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzy786 View Post
    My whole point. How is a reserved shy guy going to lead an international cricket team? Especially a Pakistani cricket team. He is a great batsmen in the making but defiantly not captaincy material
    He commands respect from his team. Perhaps since you donít think Babar can captain, you have a better option in mind who can be invested in for the 2023 world cup?

    Please avoid names like Shan or Azhar, who arenít in the second choice ODI squad let alone first. Also avoid names like Imad who is no surety to be part of the team in 2023. And Shadab who is too young to captain ODIs.

    So yeah. Whoís your next pick? Imam ul Haq? Haris Sohail? Fakhar Zaman? Shaheen Afridi?

    The criticism barrage never stops but no one ever seems to be able to provide good alternatives. Itís sickening. On principle I agree that Babar is not going to be a fantastic captain but I also admit that he is the only option we have.

    Come back with an alternative Captain and we can talk then

  25. #25
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,449
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legit advice. Babar has a very unimpressive personality.

  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,449
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    Angrez chale gaye angrezi **** gae.. I don't get the requirement of English for a sportsperson.
    As a professional software engineer, I understand i need to know english but Sports person should only be judged on his skills. Translators can translate if needed.
    Upto babar to learn to speak in english but it is not mandatory. Focus on primary skills.
    There's a difference between a regular sportsperson and a leader/captain. With leadership come more than standard responsibilities

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    313
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    There's a difference between a regular sportsperson and a leader/captain. With leadership come more than standard responsibilities
    the leadership is about communicating within his team and getting the best out of them. For which he does not need English.
    Look I agree learning another language improves your skills and world view.
    But a leader should not be judged on what language he speaks to external stakeholders. His main focus should be a good environment and results within the team which is more important.
    My only grudge with these discussion is people questioning on the line that since Babar is not speaking English, he may not be a good leader. That line of thinking is wrong.

  28. #28
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,449
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    the leadership is about communicating within his team and getting the best out of them. For which he does not need English.
    Look I agree learning another language improves your skills and world view.
    But a leader should not be judged on what language he speaks to external stakeholders. His main focus should be a good environment and results within the team which is more important.
    My only grudge with these discussion is people questioning on the line that since Babar is not speaking English, he may not be a good leader. That line of thinking is wrong.
    Sorry but that first point is wrong. Leadership is not just about internal communication but also cultivating a strong and impressive image globally. He might be a good leader without stronger English proficiency but he won't be a complete leader.

    In terms of respect and stature, the ceiling for Babar will be quite low if he only relies on his primary responsibilities of being a good batsman and a sharp captain. His personality and effective communication will push that ceiling even higher. Up to him where he sets the standard for himself.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,165
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzy786 View Post
    My whole point. How is a reserved shy guy going to lead an international cricket team? Especially a Pakistani cricket team. He is a great batsmen in the making but defiantly not captaincy material
    Our big personalities/egos have hardly led us to much success either.

    I'm looking forward to a genuinely world class player and humble guy leading the side. It will show the rest of our boys how to conduct themselves professionally and off the pitch.

    I'm sure he will manage fine.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    313
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Sorry but that first point is wrong. Leadership is not just about internal communication but also cultivating a strong and impressive image globally. He might be a good leader without stronger English proficiency but he won't be a complete leader.

    In terms of respect and stature, the ceiling for Babar will be quite low if he only relies on his primary responsibilities of being a good batsman and a sharp captain. His personality and effective communication will push that ceiling even higher. Up to him where he sets the standard for himself.
    First and foremost the leader has to cultivate the respect and command of his team.Which i think it happens in case of Babar as other players know he is the best player of the team and his hard work and ethic is there for everyone to see. Lad is quiet humble as well from whatever I have heard/seen of him.
    I think Pakistanis are still looking for another Imran Khan in their captain.
    Everyone is different. Babar can improve his english, but its not a hard and fast requirement.
    First requirement is to Score Runs for Pakistan/ then manage the team/.... english improvement comes last.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,449
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chazam View Post
    First and foremost the leader has to cultivate the respect and command of his team.Which i think it happens in case of Babar as other players know he is the best player of the team and his hard work and ethic is there for everyone to see. Lad is quiet humble as well from whatever I have heard/seen of him.
    I think Pakistanis are still looking for another Imran Khan in their captain.
    Everyone is different. Babar can improve his english, but its not a hard and fast requirement.
    First requirement is to Score Runs for Pakistan/ then manage the team/.... english improvement comes last.
    No one said it's a hard and fast requirement. As I said, it depends on the standards that Babar sets for himself. If he wants to be recognized internationally as a strong leader while also projecting an image of Pakistan as a force to be reckon with, he has to improve his personality which also includes his linguistic skills. A leader that has a personality, along with skills, is always considered a formidable opponent. These things are part of an aura which is a very important component for a sportsman - more so for a leader!

    If he is happy focusing on just the results and his image internally, it'll only get him so far. Also, why shouldn't Pakistanis look for another Imran khan? He was our best captain and is still remembered by his contemporaries that way, no harm in desiring the best.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    132,796
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Babar responding to the 'English' remark:

    "I play cricket, I am not a 'gora,' that I know English completely. Yes, I am working on it, but you learn these things over a period of time, you can't just suddenly learn it."


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    183
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post


    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...w39GdHkJN.html
    If PCB would like for their players to represent them in the best way possible on the international stage, they need to invest in professionals that work with players on how and what to speak when interacting with media. Maybe the sponsors need to invest in that regard but given the reality of our Category A players making approximately $80k/year, I do not expect them to seek professional help out of their own pockets and nor do I expect them to get on Youtube to learn all these skills.

    All these players you see that sound so eloquent when speaking to the media is due to their rigorous practice that their agents put them through before they become professionals and then the same with the organization that they work for.

    Being a captain brings about enough responsibility for a player by itself. The only thing Babar should be concerned with is his batting performance and the performance of the team. The rest is the responsibility of people and organization that he represents.
    Last edited by zafarsyed; 18th May 2020 at 18:38.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    940
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Too much pressure on Babar coming from all quarters and all kind of people. If he doesn't perform in a single series or so, all these wolves are ready to pounce on him. Not fair on him..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •