Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    41,017
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    "I would like to be an attacking captain, in the style of Imran Khan" : Babar Azam

    Babar Azam at a video press conference:

    "Playing without crowds will be difficult. No one knows better than us how difficult it is to play without crowds. We played for 10 years, without almost any crowd in UAE. When you play with the crowd, your effort goes up to 110%. We will miss it and the fans will also.

    "Regarding the comparison with Virat Kohli, I think it's better if we don't do this. He's a different player and I'm different, that's what I always say. I always just focus on trying to make my team win.

    "I play cricket, I am not a 'gora,' that I know English completely. Yes, I am working on it, but you learn these things over a period of time, you can't just suddenly learn it.

    "There's no such thing (that the Head Coach is controlling me). I take decisions myself. If the head coach sees something, he sends a message and gives advice and the rest is up to me. We're not playing for U19 or the A team that someone is signalling decisions for us from outside. So I try to make my decisions independently.

    "There's no such thing that if a player doesn't get a central contract, he won't get chances or play for the team. We had Naseem Shah playing like year and also Shoaib Malik and Hafeez bhai. There's no such concept that they can't come into the team or they won't be considered. We will certainly pick them (Wahab, Amir) if we feel they are needed in the team. There's no such thing that if they don't have a central contract, they are out of the team or are being punished. We have spoken to them as well and they know they are available for selection.

    "First of all, nothing is more important than life. First, safety comes and when that is assured then we will more forward. PCB are in talks (with ECB) at the moment. When our safety and health is 110% assured then we will move forward.

    "I would like to be an attacking captain, in the style of Imran Khan.

    "I am focusing on my batting right now. I had a bit of an issue with bowling where I used to chuck a bit, I haven't been able to fix that (laugh). I will try to fix that and once that's done then I can help with the ball as well."


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,802
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Babar can be funny at times. If he really wants to become that, then he needs to build a personality that everyone respects, and decent at communication.

    It doesn't have to be an extroverted type like IK. Misbah didn't speak a lot neither was he colorful, but had a commanding and dominating personality, with full control over the players (by leading from the front).

    So, improve the communication and personality first.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    36,096
    Mentioned
    3097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Interesting comment regarding his bowling.

    Imagine if Babar can bowl a few overs too. Wow wow wow


    Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    36,096
    Mentioned
    3097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Also hopefully posters don't attack him for saying "I'm not a go-ra".

    He obviously wasn't being racist here.


    Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    34,437
    Mentioned
    3197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments about the bowling, but I rather that he focuses on his batting completely and the captaincy. No need to take additional burden on.


    "And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe" - Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    5,837
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan drew 26 of his 48 Tests as Captain. So much for attacking.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    360
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Imran Khan drew 26 of his 48 Tests as Captain. So much for attacking.


    /Thread

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    25,643
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Imran Khan drew 26 of his 48 Tests as Captain. So much for attacking.
    Different era. Current era is more results oriented

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    534
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one I repeat no one including Babar will ever be able to replicate the terror of Imran. They may better his results but can't really instill the same amount of respect and fear in the team.

    Having seen Babar, I feel he's not really an attacking personality but I wish I'm wrong. But kudos to him in having right ideas about how to lead the team. Will be very interesting how he deals with the incompetence of 'some' players.

  10. #10
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    3,975
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Imran Khan drew 26 of his 48 Tests as Captain. So much for attacking.
    Thats was a different era mate


    Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

  11. #11
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,567
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesnít have to copy paste Imran but he can emulate him by embodying Imranís approach to take risks to win games and lead from the front. I really hope Babar can find that extra gear and go in to over drive with this added responsibility.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,075
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Imran Khan drew 26 of his 48 Tests as Captain. So much for attacking.
    Although Babar is not a test captain yet, let's indulge here.

    I do wonder sometime why Imran didn't win more tests as captain. After all, in the era before, Clive Lloyd did. And Richards did better too.

    I just think it all comes down to bowling. Imran had only himself and occasionally Qadir as real threats in his attack. That's a 1 1/2 man attack tasked to take 20 wickets. There were other good bowlers but there weren't any world class pairings. Only later, did he get Akram and Waqar in his attack but they weren't fully formed as a lethal unit until 92 when Imran had already faded. You just can't win tests with such a one man dependent attack. And in some tests, like those in mid 80's away series in Australia, he was injured himself, playing as a batsman.

    I remember watching cricket in those days and for very long periods of time, nothing would happen, until Imran would come back for a second or third or fourth spell and make things happen with his in dippers. He used to be absolutely lethal and, I am not exaggerating here, much more likely to take wickets than an Akram or a Waqar in all passages of the game, on all surfaces home and away. He would inevitably take wickets when needed. A real thinker who could work out pitches and batsmen.

    Coming back to Babar Azam/Azhar, similar problems. The bowling is weak, no matter how much we talk 150+. Shaheen Shah will do well everywhere but he is not Akram at the moment. No clumps if wickets for him yet. Abbas, we need to see if he will fire again after rediscovering his form, or not. Yasir Shah will only work out on suitable pitches. Naseem is too raw. Shadab might not even play many games.

    So what common traits he can take from Imran to be like him. Two things. First: Lead from the front. Let his batting shine at all times and absolutely no compromise on his craft. Second: A winning mentality. Always maximize the resources you have, surround yourself with tactical thinkers like Miandad was to Imran but most importantly, do not let the opposition know you are scared of them. Be in their face.

    The second area is where I am a bit worried. Not that Babar will not show aggression, but aggression in Pakistan means being energetic and emotional as opposed to methodical and on your game.

    Let's see.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    7,347
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first time Iíve seen Babar being so open

    Captaincy making him mentally stronger?

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    1,192
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post


    Babar can be funny at times. If he really wants to become that, then he needs to build a personality that everyone respects, and decent at communication.

    It doesn't have to be an extroverted type like IK. Misbah didn't speak a lot neither was he colorful, but had a commanding and dominating personality, with full control over the players (by leading from the front).

    So, improve the communication and personality first.
    God forbid the day Babar follows Misbah

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    2,004
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen4ever View Post
    God forbid the day Babar follows Misbah
    In the interview, Babar was explicitly asked whether he would follow Imranís aggressiveness or Misbahís defensive captaincy.

    He immediately replied Imran Khan and then proceeded to give the explanation in the OP.

    I think the media is missing a much bigger headline here the way he was so quick to choose Imran Khan, you had to see it I hope he comes good.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,800
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Different era. Current era is more results oriented
    Even for his era, IK's had more draws.

    In 80s,

    45% tests resulted in draw if you take all teams.

    IK has 55% draw.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,800
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Although Babar is not a test captain yet, let's indulge here.

    I do wonder sometime why Imran didn't win more tests as captain. After all, in the era before, Clive Lloyd did. And Richards did better too.
    WI team was at another level so comparing with them is unfair.

    But we can see Aus drawing 39% tests in 80s.
    Eng had 43% of draw.

    Less number of overs played in Pakistan may have resulted in many draws in Pakistan, but flip side is true as well where he won only 3-4 tests outside Pakistan so it's not just about less number of overs played in Pakistan due to light.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    6,462
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imran had a high draw ratio cos 15 of his test as captain were against india, he had a 4-0-11 ratio as captain, thats nearly 75% draws.

    given the price of losing tests for either country against the other it goes some way to explain his apparent "defensiveness", however pak won 2 series, and drew 1 under his leadership.

    pakistani fans would be over the moon if babar azam could lead them to that kinda series record against india assuming they every play tests again.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    14,457
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Imran was actually rather an attritional, defensive captain.

    His selections were bold - giving debuts at a very young age to Aaqib, Waqar, Moin, Mushy and Zahid Fazal.

    But on the pitch he tended to play 3 openers against the West Indies and away in England and Australia and even New Zealand. And his declarations were rather late.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,800
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Imran was actually rather an attritional, defensive captain.

    His selections were bold - giving debuts at a very young age to Aaqib, Waqar, Moin, Mushy and Zahid Fazal.

    But on the pitch he tended to play 3 openers against the West Indies and away in England and Australia and even New Zealand. And his declarations were rather late.
    It could be a function of resource available as well.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    14,457
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    It could be a function of resource available as well.
    Absolutely.

    Misbah declared late and was defensive as a skipper because he had a defensive mindset.

    Imran used defensive tactics when his resources required it. Which was most of the time outside Asia.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather hes defence or attacking along as he wins matches and series I do not care

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,636
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sub continent teams played a lot of matches on flat wickets. So co.paring Pakistan draws under Imran with England and Aus is not a fair comparison. WI were all roumd supreme teams under Lloyd and Richards bundled with lots of world class players.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    7,537
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is the best batsman from Pakistan but he doesn't seem good for captaincy. He seems like an introverted person.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,105
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar should be his own captain. No need to talk copy Imran who was a brilliant leader, but was a defensive captain.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Babar is the best batsman from Pakistan but he doesn't seem good for captaincy. He seems like an introverted person.
    It's either you have ordinary batesman and excellent captain or a brilliant batesman but awful captain which one would you choose

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    7,537
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    It's either you have ordinary batesman and excellent captain or a brilliant batesman but awful captain which one would you choose
    Generally speaking, good captains are also excellent players. But, there are some players who are naturally introverted and hence they can't be good captains. Tendulkar used to fall under this category.

    The main criteria for captaincy is to have the ability to motivate and lead teammates.

    Anyone can train hard and become a better player. But, captaincy has to come naturally. You can't coach captaincy.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Generally speaking, good captains are also excellent players. But, there are some players who are naturally introverted and hence they can't be good captains. Tendulkar used to fall under this category.

    The main criteria for captaincy is to have the ability to motivate and lead teammates.

    Anyone can train hard and become a better player. But, captaincy has to come naturally. You can't coach captaincy.
    Not always but yes I agree to extent.as for leading babar has lead from the front in his batting so does this class as motivating.for example babar is main batsman they knows going to score runs will this motivate the rest.having a big player in the team as captain can be motivating to achieve what babar has achieved so far.

    Captinacy also comes throw experience I belive he will be similar to Williamson and not kohli regarding captinacy

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Newcastle
    Runs
    74
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I think we should wait before we write Babar off as captain. If you look at Williamson, he's done a very decent job with NZ and he's not your typical 'extroverted motivator.' He looks quite shy, quiet and reserved. All that matters is that you have good cricketing accumen and the the respect of the dressing room.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,188
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess problem with most fans is that they only judge young players and captains on face value and dont give roam to the thoughts like natural development and growth of players and captains.

    I am pretty sure nobody predicted when Steve Smith debuted as a leggy who can bat to become the best test batsman, at the same time nobody thought young Kohli would develop into a player he became and there was nothing to suggest to most people that Williamson had what it takes to lead his side so efficiently.

    I am not saying Babar is gonna become a legendary captain, nobody can predict that but, throughout cricket history many players and captains developed into something nobody thought they could. Lets see in next couple of years how Babar develops into his role and only after certain time we can pass any judgements.

    At the moment he is a 25 years old guy who is new to international captaincy, he is not gonna remain stuck in this point of time.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I guess problem with most fans is that they only judge young players and captains on face value and dont give roam to the thoughts like natural development and growth of players and captains.

    I am pretty sure nobody predicted when Steve Smith debuted as a leggy who can bat to become the best test batsman, at the same time nobody thought young Kohli would develop into a player he became and there was nothing to suggest to most people that Williamson had what it takes to lead his side so efficiently.

    I am not saying Babar is gonna become a legendary captain, nobody can predict that but, throughout cricket history many players and captains developed into something nobody thought they could. Lets see in next couple of years how Babar develops into his role and only after certain time we can pass any judgements.

    At the moment he is a 25 years old guy who is new to international captaincy, he is not gonna remain stuck in this point of time.
    I belive he will lead his team well and people dont perform I think he will get rid but I belive in presentations and talking wise he may struggle he may be similar to williamson personality wise

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamidris View Post
    To be honest, I think we should wait before we write Babar off as captain. If you look at Williamson, he's done a very decent job with NZ and he's not your typical 'extroverted motivator.' He looks quite shy, quiet and reserved. All that matters is that you have good cricketing accumen and the the respect of the dressing room.
    Correct hes going to be similar to williamson but abit more talk as in the austrlia t20s games I belive he got mad at one of his players sometimes you need that

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    5,837
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When people talk Imran Khan being an aggressive captain they often refer to body language, presence, persona and the way he carried himself. From a batting point of view he was a defensive captain, encouraging Pakistan's top order to block the hell out of it in the 1992 World Cup when teams like NZ used to smash it around up top with the likes of Mark Greatbatch.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    2,004
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    When people talk Imran Khan being an aggressive captain they often refer to body language, presence, persona and the way he carried himself. From a batting point of view he was a defensive captain, encouraging Pakistan's top order to block the hell out of it in the 1992 World Cup when teams like NZ used to smash it around up top with the likes of Mark Greatbatch.
    I think Babar is already a great thinker of the game based on what folks like Wasim Akram have said.

    If Babar can even to a little extent emulate Imran Khanís body language and confidence, and serve inspire youngsters in the team with not just his actions with the bat but with his words and interactions too, I think thatís what people want.

    Hence the comparisons with Kane Williamson. Similarly tight lipped, but he leads the team with his body language. This is invaluable in pressure games and knock outs. Itís invaluable when youíre trying to turn a team around after initial losses to win a Champions Trophy, or win your last 5 consecutive games of a world cup.

    This off the field behavior, I will admit I believe many fans underestimate Babarís close friendships with many in the dressing room. He is still young and this personality grooming may still happen. Starting early is the best option so that he has time before the 2023 world cup. Letís hope for the best.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    26,448
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    Sub continent teams played a lot of matches on flat wickets. So co.paring Pakistan draws under Imran with England and Aus is not a fair comparison. WI were all roumd supreme teams under Lloyd and Richards bundled with lots of world class players.



    Anyone even referencing that is crazy, it is like the white elephant in the room no one is pointing at!

    Imran against india, had 4-0-11 ratio as captain, nearly 75% as draws, that right there constituting over 20% of all his tests as captain...how are rest of his numbers gonna improve considerably when he played a lot of tests in Pakistan where pitches were good as dead in most cases?

    Only an insane person will look at his numbers (without context) and draw the conlcusion most Indians and others are making!

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    26,448
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    When people talk Imran Khan being an aggressive captain they often refer to body language, presence, persona and the way he carried himself. From a batting point of view he was a defensive captain, encouraging Pakistan's top order to block the hell out of it in the 1992 World Cup when teams like NZ used to smash it around up top with the likes of Mark Greatbatch.


    When you know your batting will fold like nine pins, you will always do that and boy was he proven right!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •