For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Soon after taking over as Pakistan's ODI captain, Babar Azam received bizarre advice from former Pakistan cricketer Tanvir Ahmed. Speaking on his Youtube Channel, Ahmed asked Babar to improve his personality and to learn English.

“Babar Azam also needs to improve his English, which is necessary. Whenever someone becomes a captain, he has to talk during the toss and post-match presentation. Plus, he will also give interviews on various channels when he tours different countries,” he had said.

Of course, his comments didn't go down well with fans and Babar, who also responded to Tanvir. A number of former Pakistan players also spoke in support of Babar. He has now also got the backing of Javed Miandad, the former Pakistan captain who holds the joint-record of playing six World Cups.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Miandad said that English is not a criterion in cricket and that Babar should speak in Urdu. “No one speaks English in Germany, France. We, in Paksitan...we are putting Babar under pressure. Aap ghabrey nahi Babar (don't be scared, Babar). People know you for your cricket. You are Badshah of cricket. Don't take pressure. You can take someone along with you - Aap Urdu mein boley (you speak in Urdu). Let other people get someone to translate,” he said.

Miandad, the former Pakistan captain, played 124 Tests and 233 ODIs from 1975 to 1996. He was also a member of 1992 World Cup-winning team.

Babar Azam's rise to captaincy

Azam, who made his debut in 2015, was tipped to lead the national team right from his U-19 days. He replaced Sarfaraz Ahmed as the captain of T20I side in 2019 and took over as ODI captain last month. Although he is yet to lead the ODI team and isn't expected to get the opportunity anytime soon as Pakistan's series against the Netherlands was postponed.

Regarded as one of the finest batsmen in the present era, Azam has 1850 runs in 26 Tests and 3359 runs 74 ODIs. He has proved his credentials in white-ball format but has a long way to go in Tests.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...english/603383
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th June 2020 at 18:52.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is the captain of Pakistan, not England. Of course it will be beneficial if he could speak English well, but don't put unnecessary added pressure on someone already under pressure. Just let him play.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably Inzi had it the worst. His own Pakistan commentators put him in a spot of bother, by asking him questions in English.

So let's not repeat the Inzi mistake. Bring a translator and speak in your native language.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    He is the captain of Pakistan, not England. Of course it will be beneficial if he could speak English well, but don't put unnecessary added pressure on someone already under pressure. Just let him play.
    Agreed !

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someone21 View Post
    Probably Inzi had it the worst. His own Pakistan commentators put him in a spot of bother, by asking him questions in English.

So let's not repeat the Inzi mistake. Bring a translator and speak in your native language.
    Yeah, in some interviews why don't our players bring an interpreter? Instead they stand there answering awkwardly.

Remember Yasir bringing Mushtaq Ahmed to his interview w/ Nasser Hussain after his Lord's 10 fer. Why don't they just do that? Attitude problem?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Problem is ability to communicate. It can be in any language. Speak in Urdu or Punjabi if you like but speak clearly and make sense.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Saw his Cricbuzz interview with Harsha and I felt embarrassed.

He cannot even articulate himself properly in Urdu. Even Harsha looked awkward at times and was literally feeding him the answers and carrying the conversation.

This guy is probably the best batsman Pakistan has ever produced and will most likely lead the country in all formats for years, but he talks as if he has been plucked out of some village for the first time in his life and put in front of the cameras.

He has been in PCB’s system since the age of 13 and has been on multiple junior tours including two U19 World Cups. The fact that PCB have completely failed to groom is ridiculous.

People will now predictability come up with the usual garbage of:

“His job is to play cricket and not to speak fluently”

“You have colonial mindset and inferiority complex”

“Messi and Nadal don’t speak good English either”

The footballers examples are useless because football does not have a universal language.

However, English is the de facto language of cricket because it is primarily played by English speaking or commonwealth countries, and a cricketer has to communicate in English very often.

As captain, Babar will obviously have a lot more exposure than other players and it is imperative that he learns to communicate effectively.

Forget English for now, first give him Urdu lessons and the basics of how to express yourself. The guy has been playing international cricket since 2015 but you will find India U15 players who communicate better than him.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

He cannot even articulate himself properly in Urdu. Even Harsha looked awkward at times and was literally feeding him the answers and carrying the conversation.

This guy is probably the best batsman Pakistan has ever produced and will most likely lead the country in all formats for years, but he talks as if he has been plucked out of some village for the first time in his life and put in front of the cameras.

He has been in PCB’s system since the age of 13 and has been on multiple junior tours including two U19 World Cups. The fact that PCB have completely failed to groom is ridiculous.

The footballers examples are useless because football does not have a universal language.

However, English is the de facto language of cricket because it is primarily played by English speaking or commonwealth countries, and a cricketer has to communicate in English very often.

As captain, Babar will obviously have a lot more exposure than other players and it is imperative that he learns to communicate effectively.

Forget English for now, first give him Urdu lessons and the basics of how to express yourself. The guy has been playing international cricket since 2015 but you will find India U15 players who communicate better than him.

I have said it before our players can't even speak technically about the game in their native tongue. We are bad communicators unfortunately.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    I have said it before our players can't even speak technically about the game in their native tongue. We are bad communicators unfortunately.
    Harsha asked some very interesting questions but you could tell that Babar couldn’t find the words to express himself.

Our players have only memorized one line: “seniors gave me confidence”.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Harsha asked some very interesting questions but you could tell that Babar couldn’t find the words to express himself.

Our players have only memorized one line: “seniors gave me confidence”.
    I haven't watched the interview but it doesn't surprise me.

During lockdown I have watched plenty of podcasts and interviews from current and ex cricketers. It upsets me that our players in English or Urdu can't articulate and communicate the game of cricket in a way that fans and pundits want to listen.

Look at Sangakkara and Jayawardene, they improved their English and they know have decent roles in cricket and also are called to talk about their careers.

Being able to communicate in English is vital. It's a shame our fans don't understand this.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Any update on his English status. Has it improved.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    Washington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Man your comment is really in bad taste. I am sure you had seen the match and his interview in Urdu. You are just having inner happiness here with cheap shot at Babar.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar is going to be captain in all formats. He is a our best player. The media are going to want to hear from him. English is the universal language for cricket. He needs to ensure he has a good understanding and able to speak it fluently.

He can also ensure he gets a top coaching or media role after he finishes playing by having good English.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Irrelevant
    2. Babar obviously understands the language well.
    3. He's not confident enough to respond in English. Whose fault is that? The Board? The Government?
    4. The Board should facilitate English Classes for every player in the system. That is there responsibility.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been more than 70 years but many Pakistanis and Indians have struggled to overcome a colonial mindset. Unfortunately these are the same people that end up in powerful places and ensure the population doesn't receive the education needed to compete in the world.

Although India has a far better system of education than Pakistan, lets not forget that India remains a very poor country going in the other direction.
    Last edited by The Viper; 1st September 2020 at 04:42.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While he is a exciting batsmen to watch, outside of cricket unfortunately he is a boring individual. He reminds me of a watered down version if Razzaq. Defiantly needs to work on his communication.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He seems a very amiable person.

I don't care what language he speaks or doesn't speak.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I watched the interview & it was embarrassing he shouldn't care about his English but he should convey his message properly in urdu atleast. In that interview at one point Harsha even mocked him. It wasn't an insult just a light banter.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a captain, he should know basic English so that he can better communicate with others but it’s okay if he prefers to speak Urdu for the time-being. He probably doesn’t want to be made fun of like Sarfraz. You know, desis and their inferiority complex regarding English.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give him time, his communication skills will get better. I am sure that in 2-3 years, Babar will be speaking more confidently, if not fluent English (which is not required if you ask me). Babar needs to work on his inter-personal skills within the team first, communication with the world (commentators, journalists, fans) is secondary.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChTab View Post
    Yeah I watched the interview & it was embarrassing he shouldn't care about his English but he should convey his message properly in urdu atleast. In that interview at one point Harsha even mocked him. It wasn't an insult just a light banter.
    He is just shy.

It is responsibility of extroverts around him to take him out and help him get out of his shell.

One of the reasons why I support Shoaib being coach of Pakistan team.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Navjot Singh Sidhu used to be very shy also just like Babar. Look at him now.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that were to happen, I am afraid Shoaib will have a negative affect on Babar. Keep Babar away from the "Badmaashi" types

He is just shy.

It is responsibility of extroverts around him to take him out and help him get out of his shell.

One of the reasons why I support Shoaib being coach of Pakistan team.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was Babar I would pay zero attention to these childish beliefs that speaking English is necessary and will simply take a translator to every interview/press conference I go to.

I for one would prefer to see him speak Urdu confidently, unapologetically and fearlessly like a true captain of Pakistan XI. This mindset of he must speak English is pathetic.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an ideal world, you wouldn't be judged on the language you speak as ones language is just a reflection of the medium they were educated in, intelligence isn't measured on ones ability to speak English. If Babar Azam wants to speak Urdu and not learn English, fair enough.

However, this isn't an ideal world, so there is an argument for him to at least learn passable spoken English, it's the most common lingua franca in existence today and learning it would probably even improve his own communication skills somewhat. Having said that, as has been rightly pointed out, he can just use an urdu translator wherever he goes, impractical perhaps but it gets the job done.

Shahid Afridi....the skill, the power, the frustration

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he wants speak in urdu let him speak in urdu aslong as he gets results that's all that matters

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Lionel Messi doesnt speak english. Its shouldnt be a big deal.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hb787 View Post
    Even Lionel Messi doesnt speak english. Its shouldnt be a big deal.
    Typical response.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Babar is probably my favourite ever Pakistan batsman, but the guy has zero personality and no communication skills. He talks like a proper paindoo.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He can speak English, he just prefers not to (is probably shy).

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/statu...394042371?s=20

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Listened to Fakhar Zaman after scoring his 193 - excellent/clear English speaker.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English is the flavour at the moment but it's an example of the differences/ approach to self-betterment. Literally every single Indian NT player speaks fluent English - its another example of failing to show ourselves in the best light. English is the flavour but you could apply that to fitness, fielding, nutrition etc. etc.

I guess it's lacking professionalism but English has little to do with being a professional cricketer. I think it's about how serious you take yourself - whilst it isn't the be all and end all, it's something we haven't really grasped.

It bothers me not that we can't speak it fluently, more the underlying mindset that there is no desire for progressing, self-betterment, setting new trends.

Ultimately it matters not with the numbers he pulls but, as I posted at the start, it's like another facet underlining the differences in mindset.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Listened to Fakhar Zaman after scoring his 193 - excellent/clear English speaker.
    Indeed. I was pleasantly surprised. That Naval experience coming in handy!

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares? Do people watch football? 90% of European footballers can't even speak English after spending 5 seasons in the EPL lol

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I was a Pakistani, I would tell Babar “just win games, that is the only thing people will give you real respect for. If after doing what you need to do to win games, you still have time and energy left then improve your English. If you don’t, then don’t bother.”

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Babar’s lack of English is embarrassing. The captain of the team should be able to communicate in English. It’s embarrassing that Babar hasn’t even tried to learn English.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing embarrassing about having a translator.

People need to understand that he can still express his ideas through the translator to a good extent.

Not everyone had a great exposure to education in their childhood, and learning the English language takes years and years of practice.

At the moment, he has other important things to tend to.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most people whovhave issue with babar not speaking england are those so called pakistani foreigners who dont understand their own mother tongue.

Babar doesnt need to know english. Its stupid from people to expect this.

However, babars lack of english does expose the joke of an education system we have got along with out sports system.

Babar and many other players in the national team are school drop outs. These people drop out from school and spend most of their time at nets for clubs.

Forget babars english for a second, even his urdu isnt that freat. It represents the problem our country faces.

It should be the govts priority to educate every single child. Sports clubs should be part of school.

The other day i read that u19 zameer's interview and i hated the fact that another uneducated player will get to represent Pakistan.

English might not be important, but the education of the national captain and national players does matter. The way they behave and conduct themselves matters alot.

Messi and co might not know english, but they are educated enough to conduxt themselves properly.

I am also not saying Babar is some kind of batameez, but there are other players in the team that might dress well but probably lack manners

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Babar’s lack of English is embarrassing. The captain of the team should be able to communicate in English. It’s embarrassing that Babar hasn’t even tried to learn English.
    No offence but you are in in the minority here. most Pakistanis have no issue with Babar not speaking English(as evident by this thread)so I doubt there would be any pressure on Babar to learn English .

If you are embarrassed by a guy speaking his native language ,then perhaps you can skip the post and pre match interviews.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not all of us have lingering colonial servant mentalities like yourself -- we are not embarrassed at all.

I love the fact Babar Azam speak Urdu. I have never heard Messi speak in English either.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He understands every question that is being asked of him and doesn't need the questions translated which is an improvement.

The speaking part is a confidence thing and from what I hear his English is improving. In due course he will answer the questions in English. But I don't care if he answers the questions in Urdu, Punjabi, English or Swahili.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He understands every question that is being asked of him and doesn't need the questions translated which is an improvement.

The speaking part is a confidence thing and from what I hear his English is improving. In due course he will answer the questions in English. But I don't care if he answers the questions in Urdu, Punjabi, English or Swahili.
    He needs better translators though. the one on this tour post match can barely speak himself.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to stop being docile during post match interviews and actually contribute to conversation though and I don't think thats an English thing. It's a confidence thing. I mean Wasim Waqar werent the best at English but they knew exactly how to get their point across. It went downhill from Inzi.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightWatchman View Post
    He needs better translators though. the one on this tour post match can barely speak himself.
    Well that's one for PCB to think about before they send teams overseas.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I cared in the beginning, but now I feel like he needs to learn the language. It's embarrassing, for me at least, that the man you've selected to represent the country in all 3 facets of the game can barely articulate himself in any language, let alone English.

No one is asking him to become a poet or a linguist, but he should at least be able to hold a conversation. @Mamoon suggested in another thread that young cricketers should be required to pass English classes in primary and secondary school, and I agree with him 100%. Because if a kid who's been in the Pakistan Cricket system from the age of 16 can't articulate himself in any language, there are some issues that seriously need to be addressed
    Last edited by Baigel; 8th April 2021 at 23:54.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baigel View Post
    I don't think I cared in the beginning, but now I feel like he needs to learn the language. It's embarrassing, for me at least, that the man you've selected to represent the country in all 3 facets of the game can barely articulate himself in any language, let alone English.

No one is asking him to become a poet or a linguist, but he should at least be able to hold a conversation. @Mamoon suggested in another thread that young cricketers should be required to pass English classes in primary and secondary school, and I agree with him 100%. Because if a kid who's been in the Pakistan Cricket system from the age of 16 can't articulate himself in any language, there are some issues that seriously need to be addressed
    Again. I don't care if he speaks in Urdu. Cricket's origins may be colonial but it's also 2021. But even in urdu he's saying the same standard boys played well, Seniors backed me. He needs to conversate otherwise.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar speaking English wont solve much, like Bevuma he'll know English but he's still going to be a horrible conversationalist.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightWatchman View Post
    Exactly, had Babar spoken in English he couldn't have done worse than that translator. I'd rather have Misbah or Waqar act as translator than these random officials.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he can articulate his thoughts in his mother tongue, that is also fine. If he can't then it's a concern. As a leader then he won't be able to give proper direction to the team.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's hilarious how these translators pop up only in Pakistan presentations. It's like Pakistan is a guest member of what is a Commonwealth sport.

Their players' Urdu isn't too flash either.

And the problem is many don't pick up English even after years in the game.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't believe this thread exists. Zehni ghulam raheinge hum hamesha angrezon ke

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    It's hilarious how these translators pop up only in Pakistan presentations. It's like Pakistan is a guest member of what is a Commonwealth sport.

Their players' Urdu isn't too flash either.

And the problem is many don't pick up English even after years in the game.
    Because English isn’t a fundamental aspect of anyone’s life in Pakistan. I remember there was a time where it was normal to make fun of people who don’t speak English in Pakistan. However, if you see someone do it now, people will stand up in flocks for the person that doesn’t speak English.

I speak and write English as well as any native English speaker. However, this is not something I am proud of. It’s just an aspect of me. You can easily survive and do very well for yourself in Pakistan without speaking English. Just because we have a commonwealth heritage does not mean that we need to fully adopt the language of our former colonial masters.

Aside from that, I would expect you to know that while the British did establish a colony in India, they did not have extensive control over India. India was still effectively independent in the sense that there were multiple princely states across the country that operated with a large degree of autonomy. It wasn’t like the colonies in Australia and New Zealand or other places. Therefore, Indians and Pakistanis have not become completely British - and thankfully so, we have very strong cultures of our own.

In addition to that, Pakistan is slowly moving toward making Urdu the medium language in schools, not English.

And why is Babar’s Urdu weak? Because it is not his native language. His Punjabi will be stronger.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is a cricketer, not an English teacher.

If he speaks it's fine. If he does not speak then it is also fine.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Because English isn’t a fundamental aspect of anyone’s life in Pakistan. I remember there was a time where it was normal to make fun of people who don’t speak English in Pakistan. However, if you see someone do it now, people will stand up in flocks for the person that doesn’t speak English.

I speak and write English as well as any native English speaker. However, this is not something I am proud of. It’s just an aspect of me. You can easily survive and do very well for yourself in Pakistan without speaking English. Just because we have a commonwealth heritage does not mean that we need to fully adopt the language of our former colonial masters.

Aside from that, I would expect you to know that while the British did establish a colony in India, they did not have extensive control over India. India was still effectively independent in the sense that there were multiple princely states across the country that operated with a large degree of autonomy. It wasn’t like the colonies in Australia and New Zealand or other places. Therefore, Indians and Pakistanis have not become completely British - and thankfully so, we have very strong cultures of our own.

In addition to that, Pakistan is slowly moving toward making Urdu the medium language in schools, not English.

And why is Babar’s Urdu weak? Because it is not his native language. His Punjabi will be stronger.
    Babar has been living in Lahore his whole life. His Urdu is not weak at all. The issue is that he’s not a great speaker period and doesn’t articulate his thoughts well.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asadee View Post
    Can't believe this thread exists. Zehni ghulam raheinge hum hamesha angrezon ke
    Exactly. Afsos ki baat hai kay hum aaj bhi angrezi ko itni ehmiyat detein hain.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Babar has been living in Lahore his whole life. His Urdu is not weak at all. The issue is that he’s not a great speaker period and doesn’t articulate his thoughts well.
    I understand where you are coming from but by other posters mentioning that he can't speak good enough Urdu, I think they mean to say that he speaks in Urdu with an accent, which he does, and that he doesn't sound very poetic, which is also true.

The travesty is that we have started using a lot of English words in our Urdu and therefore, the majority of the younger generation that Babar is a part of, do not use the nastaleeq Urdu words.

Also, having spent every single summer break during school life in Lahore, trust me, while the internet will tell you that Urdu is the most common language in Lahore, it is by far Punjabi.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic question. Why is this urge in Pakistan to be proficient in Urdu so much so that one prioritzes Urdu more than their mother tongue? Isn't it normal to expect that in Lahore people will speak in Punjabi on the streets and at the home?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Some of you only watch cricket as a sport, and it shows.

This takes place in boxing and UFC as well where the fighter may not know how to speak English or whatever language so they will speak a broken version of it, or simply, use a translator.

India would also have this problem but you can chalk it up to being well educated or Indians typically trying to be the chum-cha of UK/USA and even in their own gatherings they will tend to speak English so you have to remind them, “hey man, coast is clear, there’s no Angraiz to impress in our vicinity, zyada English na jhar Eminem ki aulad”

Come out of this colonial Stockholm syndrome please. Look at what happened to the Irish, their actual mother tongue got erased by the Brits over time. At least you have your language, be proud of that.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RajBan View Post
    Slightly off topic question. Why is this urge in Pakistan to be proficient in Urdu so much so that one prioritzes Urdu more than their mother tongue? Isn't it normal to expect that in Lahore people will speak in Punjabi on the streets and at the home?
    They do speak local languages. Urdu is a national language, so to be able to communicate in that is given priority. But no one downplays the importance of regional languages.

I noticed someone mentioned Babar's urdu us weak. I am a native urdu speaker and have never found anything wrong with his urdu. Perhaps a slight tinge of punjabi accent but its not weak. What do we expect our cricketers to be? Speak poetic urdu and british english with an accent? This thread would be hilarious if it were not sad that people think this aspect is important.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Some of you only watch cricket as a sport, and it shows.

This takes place in boxing and UFC as well where the fighter may not know how to speak English or whatever language so they will speak a broken version of it, or simply, use a translator.

India would also have this problem but you can chalk it up to being well educated or Indians typically trying to be the chum-cha of UK/USA and even in their own gatherings they will tend to speak English so you have to remind them, “hey man, coast is clear, there’s no Angraiz to impress in our vicinity, zyada English na jhar Eminem ki aulad”

Come out of this colonial Stockholm syndrome please. Look at what happened to the Irish, their actual mother tongue got erased by the Brits over time. At least you have your language, be proud of that.
    Yup, seen this too often. Even if they can converse in hindi/urdu, they will keep on flaunting english with a broken pseudo accent. It is perhaps that urge to mix into the other culture ... which is not the wrong thing to do btw.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captains have to have strong communication skills; period! This nonsense argument of "as long as he's scoring runs, it's all good" doesn't hold any water.

Captains are supposed to represent your team at global stages off the field as well through interviews and other media commitments. Captains interact with umpires on the field and need to have strong grasp on language to put their point forward. Captains need to sledge/interact with opposition and stand by the their teammates in case things get heated on the field.

A captain who has good command on a universally accepted language can represent the country better vs the one who needs a translator with him all the time and even then is an extremely poor communicator. Babar has has very very boring personality and has memorized just a couple of one liners that he uses on every occasion. Runs will get him only so far, but a well rounded personality to go with it will significantly improve his stature.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few here have correctly pointed out that it isn't just an issue the English language with Babar, he just is a very poor orator. Even during his interviews with Ramiz or during Urdu press conferences, he never adds anything of value to the conversation. It's the same old confidence, positive cricket, senior support, coach management and that's it.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBallZombie View Post
    Yup, seen this too often. Even if they can converse in hindi/urdu, they will keep on flaunting english with a broken pseudo accent. It is perhaps that urge to mix into the other culture ... which is not the wrong thing to do btw.
    Though it may appear strange to Pakistanis, that Indians speak in mix up language, But if they understand the diversity in India they will not complain about it.

I have been to places, with India, where the only way for me to communicate with another person, from India, is also English.

In offices, sometimes in a group chat, also, We have people from different cultures, All Indians, but only one language is common, and that language is English.
    It is called being respectful, to include all of the people in conversation rather than being so called Chum-Chas.. Which is really funny coming from Pakistanis.. Who lap up every opportunity to tag along the Current Masters in Charge.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Urdu is the national language and it is the only national language.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    A few here have correctly pointed out that it isn't just an issue the English language with Babar, he just is a very poor orator. Even during his interviews with Ramiz or during Urdu press conferences, he never adds anything of value to the conversation. It's the same old confidence, positive cricket, senior support, coach management and that's it.
    This has been the case with most of our captain in my life time.

Babar: Not a great speaker/orator. English isn’t the issue. Lack of speaking and communication skills is and that doesn’t change no matter what the language. His understanding of the game is decent but I don’t think can put his thoughts out.

Sarfaraz: Not as bad as Babar but he also isn’t the most thoughtful person around. Terrible in English and slightly ok in Urdu but nothing to write hone about.

Azhar Ali: He is someone who can present good analysis and is a decent speaker. Can add something of value in a conversation in both languages.

Misbah: Good cricketing mind from an analytical perspective and can put message across whether English or Urdu

Afridi: terrible in English but in Urdu he speaks well enough.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshiarpurexpress View Post
    Though it may appear strange to Pakistanis, that Indians speak in mix up language, But if they understand the diversity in India they will not complain about it.

I have been to places, with India, where the only way for me to communicate with another person, from India, is also English.

In offices, sometimes in a group chat, also, We have people from different cultures, All Indians, but only one language is common, and that language is English.
    It is called being respectful, to include all of the people in conversation rather than being so called Chum-Chas.. Which is really funny coming from Pakistanis.. Who lap up every opportunity to tag along the Current Masters in Charge.
    I agree. Indians on the streets speak English not to show off but really that's a link language given at any point in a metro you will be in a crowd constituting 7-8 different linguistic groups. As such conversing in English becomes a need in order to effectively communicate between the group. It's not a credit , it's just how it is and it helps us. In Northern India Hindi plays that same role. In certain parts of East and NorthEast Bengali plays the same role.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Urdu is the national language and it is the only national language.
    During my couple of weeks in Lahore, i noticed that as well.
    People spoke Punjabi but all the menus, road symbols and signs, advertising boards etc were mostly in Urdu and some in English.
    Felt very weird coming from Indian Punjab, as when i hear Punjabi the letters that come to my mind are Gurmukhi script, which is the case on road signs/symbols etc.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Indians on the streets speak English not to show off but really that's a link language given at any point in a metro you will be in a crowd constituting 7-8 different linguistic groups. As such conversing in English becomes a need in order to effectively communicate between the group. It's not a credit , it's just how it is and it helps us. In Northern India Hindi plays that same role. In certain parts of East and NorthEast Bengali plays the same role.
    So it becomes kind of habit as well sometimes, without realizing, that in some scenarios coast is clear to speak the mother tongue.
    Has happened with me sometimes. where I was told off ke Zyada Angrez na ban.. lol.. especially when I used to go back to Punjab from Bangalore after 12 months of conversing mostly in English/Hindi mix.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it becomes kind of habit as well sometimes, without realizing, that in some scenarios coast is clear to speak the mother tongue.
    Has happened with me sometimes. where I was told off ke Zyada Angrez na ban.. lol.. especially when I used to go back to Punjab from Bangalore after 12 months of conversing mostly in English/Hindi mix.
    Yep. Same happens to me as well. It almost becomes your language since you speak it 80% of your time.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel sad for Babar here. As an indian observer, I feel the guy is a shy, introverted personality who does no speak much. Great to watch, and on the way to join the top 4 batsmen of each format -no doubting that. But this is aslo a mark of the times. We, in India - pak need also to recognize that English is the wider lingua franca of communication and a person representing has to have a primary and rudimentary knowledge enough to handle the toss or post match situations. On the flip side I also feel as long as my captain is scoring bucketfulls or taking fivers consistently and fielding like a tiger - no need to be expressive in angrezi - as kapil dev once said 'others come from cultured backround, I come from agriculture background. If you want someone to play, take me. If you want someone to do dhay-dhay in anzrezgi better get someone from oxford'....the only sad thing I feel as an indian, we are too hung up on angrezi and angrezi speaking people and we need to let go of this....just my 5 c

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Modi is always giving speeches even on International forums in Hindi and not English ? Does he not care about the diversity of India and only catering to Hindi speaking people ?

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Why Modi is always giving speeches even on International forums in Hindi and not English ? Does he not care about the diversity of India and only catering to Hindi speaking people ?
    At a global scale, Hindi is more known as Indian language and it is his native language as well.

If you remove your blind eyed bias and look at his speeches in Tamil Nadu, he is making those in English.

India has 28+ official languages and 800+ dialects, You want him to change his language every time to new one at International level.

He picked one language he is fairly comfortable with.

Manmohan/Indira were comfortable with English, so they spoke that language.
    We don't force one language down the throats of people. does not end well for the enforcers as Bengalis had shown.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of English speaking skill is not an issue. But the issue is he should still be fronting up to media himself and convey even if it is in broken english. He is being timid there. I mean Younis Khan, Sehwag, Harbhajan etc had poor english but still talked to media with as much confidence as that of an Oxford graduate.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a global scale, Hindi is more known as Indian language and it is his native language as well.

If you remove your blind eyed bias and look at his speeches in Tamil Nadu, he is making those in English.

India has 28+ official languages and 800+ dialects, You want him to change his language every time to new one at International level.

We don't force one language down the throats of people. does not end well for the enforcers as Bengalis had shown.
    His english speeches are with the help of teleprompter.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His first language is Gujarati not Hindi, you can tell from his accent he's not comfortable in Hindi.

Lol you must be joking, India has been enforcing Hindi on most of their populace for the past 70 years, there's a huge north south divide in India and there are many ethnic nationalists in India who are unhappy with India's language policy. The Bengali/East Pakistan situation is always over simplified and not comparable.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    His first language is Gujarati not Hindi, you can tell from his accent he's not comfortable in Hindi.

Lol you must be joking, India has been enforcing Hindi on most of their populace for the past 70 years, there's a huge north south divide in India and there are many ethnic nationalists in India who are unhappy with India's language policy. The Bengali/East Pakistan situation is always over simplified and not comparable.
    May be in the 60s and 70s there were some politicians in North who wanted to enforce Hindi as a common language. Now, every one accepts and respects this difference.

No one is enforcing Tamilians to speak Hindi with a Gun in their hand, like what happened to 3 million Bengalis.

Travel to South India a bit. Even within Punjabi we have Doabi, Majhi dialects spoken by people.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Learning better soft skills never hurt anyone and should be important especially for cricketers.
    Cricket career is at max 15 yrs and finishes by mid thirties.
    Without basic education and soft skills will become hard to explore post playing career jobs like media analysts, coaching etc.

Even during playing career, good communicators will always be treated much more positively. Someone like an Ashwin is like Kumble before him not a traditionally ad friendly face, but through social media and thanks to his brilliant cricketing mind, erudite personality and communication skills has built a huge personal brand on YouTube. Networks like Sky and Channel 7 fall over themselves to interview him in all matches because they know it will be analysis goldmine. He will have no shortage of options once he retires.

People like Sehwag and Akhtar are poorly educated and not great in English communication, but with their extroverted personalities have fashioned a space for themselves in vernacular media.

Nobody can dictate what he must do, but Babar should also realize his own self interest lies in improving. He comes across in interviews as a thoroughly uninteresting personality capable of little to no insight. Similiar to Quinton de Kock. Captaincy does not stay with such people for long

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embarrassing 😆😆😆