User Tag List

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Pakistan the most multi-cultural Muslim nation?

With major ethnic groups such as,

Punjabis
    Pashtuns
    Sindhis
    Balochs
    Kashmiris
    Urdu Speakers

Which other Muslim countries have more diversity of ethnic groups and languages?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    With major ethnic groups such as,

Punjabis
    Pashtuns
    Sindhis
    Balochs
    Kashmiris
    Urdu Speakers

Which other Muslim countries have more diversity of ethnic groups and languages?
    Not sure if theyíre as diverse as us or not, but Afghanistan and Iran spring to mind. Ethnic Persians make up only about 50% of Iran. There are Azeris, Baloch, Turkmen, Kurds, Bakhtiaris, Luris, Arabs, and many more. Granted, some of these are arguably subgroups of the Persians and others are so well assimilated itís hard to tell apart, but itís a diverse country nevertheless.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure about multi-cultural but we definitely are right up there when it comes to softer version of Islam practiced. We do have mullahs and fringe elements but majority of the population has a more secular outlook to life. Like places like Saudi etc only just allowed women to drive and they still require head to toe covering etc. Iran also requires full covering and women aren't allowed at sporting events. We definitely aren't at Turkey level of liberalism though. Girls are allowed to study alongside boys, and women can work alongside men, women don't need a male with them when going outside, this is nothing too special but it is not possible in some other muslim countries who are still living in the dark ages. Oddly enough rural Pakistan has more participation of women in the workforce.

Churches, Mandirs and Gurdwaras are commonplace in Pakistan. I think the first mandir opened only recently in Saudi.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan too has well-documented diversity: Pashtuns, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Baloch, Nuristanis etc.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Afghanistan too has well-documented diversity: Pashtuns, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Baloch, Nuristanis etc.
    What actually constitutes an original Afghan? I mean presumably Tajiks are from Tajikistan, Balochis are from Balochistan, Uzbeks are from Uzbekistan and so on. I had this argument with the fake Afghan @landofthebravepeople who was kissing up to Hindustan. We were discussing which was the more fake nation, Pakistan or Afghanistan, but got sidetracked into trading insults.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Not sure about multi-cultural but we definitely are right up there when it comes to softer version of Islam practiced. We do have mullahs and fringe elements but majority of the population has a more secular outlook to life. Like places like Saudi etc only just allowed women to drive and they still require head to toe covering etc. Iran also requires full covering and women aren't allowed at sporting events. We definitely aren't at Turkey level of liberalism though. Girls are allowed to study alongside boys, and women can work alongside men, women don't need a male with them when going outside, this is nothing too special but it is not possible in some other muslim countries who are still living in the dark ages. Oddly enough rural Pakistan has more participation of women in the workforce.

Churches, Mandirs and Gurdwaras are commonplace in Pakistan. I think the first mandir opened only recently in Saudi.
    Interesting, I was watching a western travel youtube vlogger yesterday who has been to both Pakistan & India & he mentioned he saw more females working in the service sector in Pak.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    What actually constitutes an original Afghan? I mean presumably Tajiks are from Tajikistan, Balochis are from Balochistan, Uzbeks are from Uzbekistan and so on. I had this argument with the fake Afghan @landofthebravepeople who was kissing up to Hindustan. We were discussing which was the more fake nation, Pakistan or Afghanistan, but got sidetracked into trading insults.
    Historically, Afghan was synonymous with Pashtun, hence the A for Afghania in Pakistan. It was only in the 60s that Zahir Shah, after sidelining Daud Khan for the time being, extended the privilege of the title to all inhabitants of Afghanistan.

Tajiks arenít necessarily from Tajikistan, since what would be Tajikistan (land of the Tajiks) is split between the country of Tajikistan and Afghanistan. Just as Pakistani Pashtuns outnumber Afghan Pashtuns, Afghan Tajiks outnumber Tajik Tajiks (or Tajikistani Tajiks if you will).

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Historically, Afghan was synonymous with Pashtun, hence the A for Afghania in Pakistan. It was only in the 60s that Zahir Shah, after sidelining Daud Khan for the time being, extended the privilege of the title to all inhabitants of Afghanistan.

Tajiks aren’t necessarily from Tajikistan, since what would be Tajikistan (land of the Tajiks) is split between the country of Tajikistan and Afghanistan. Just as Pakistani Pashtuns outnumber Afghan Pashtuns, Afghan Tajiks outnumber Tajik Tajiks (or Tajikistani Tajiks if you will).
    This is the problem with drawing lines in the sand, if nobody respects borders then jingoism is surely doomed.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    This is the problem with drawing lines in the sand, if nobody respects borders then jingoism is surely doomed.
    Wouldnít jingoism be the one thing that thrives in this scenario, instead of being doomed?

I was chatting with an Azeri Azeri the other day. They are outnumbered by Iranian Azeris.