Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

[REPORTS] Saqlain Mushtaq to be appointed Head of International Players Development

Reports are suggesting that Saqlain Mushtaq will be appointed as Head of International Players Development.

==

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  125.4 KB

==

As per PCB site the job description:

Head International Player Development

Job Purpose:

The Head of International Player Development is responsible for comprehensively
    identifying, developing and preparing players so that they become world class cricketers
    for the senior Pakistan Men’s team

Requirements:

• Level III Cricket Coaching Accreditation or international equivalent.
    • An ex-International cricketer with at least (5) years working experience with an
    international team.
    • Experience and evidence through case studies, of successfully developing and
    supporting cricketers to excel at International level.
    • Strong planning, organizing and executing capabilities.
    • Highly competent in planning individual skills enhancement strategies.
    • Strong leadership and management skills.
    • Proven ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals from varied
    backgrounds.
    • Strong persuasion skills combined with integrity and professionalism.
    • Strong written and oral communication skills.
    • Strong analytical capabilities

https://www.pcb.com.pk/downloads/Hea...evelopment.pdf
    Last edited by MenInG; 24th May 2020 at 17:08.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    That position is like a chief scout in other words ?

The head of high performance coaching will probably be an overseas appointment then.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be interesting to hear Saqlains strategy in both identifying and developing talent.

For e.g. will he just stick to domestic performers playing first 11 cricket or will he also look at age group and second 11 performances. Will his assessment of players be data led or qualitative or a combination of both? Will player mentality factor into his scouting?

Will be interesting to hear. I hope he's as open about his vision as Nadeem Khan was in his press meetings.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    @Thunderbolt14
    Thank you for tagging me. There is a report that says that they are going to announce it in a day or two.
    Last edited by The Viper; 24th May 2020 at 05:08.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    It'll be interesting to hear Saqlains strategy in both identifying and developing talent.

For e.g. will he just stick to domestic performers playing first 11 cricket or will he also look at age group and second 11 performances. Will his assessment of players be data led or qualitative or a combination of both? Will player mentality factor into his scouting?

Will be interesting to hear. I hope he's as open about his vision as Nadeem Khan was in his press meetings.
    @KingOfPakBreakfast Yeah I hope he gets selected and then I cant wait to hear his vision. I hope he explains what his job will be. I think his job is to implement a strategy and create a well thoughtful and effective player development system. Then have all the coaches follow that system. I could be wrong so dont take my word for it.
    @Thunderbolt14 @KingOfPakBreakfast I remember I watched a video of him and he was saying how even when he was a player and as a coach now he is not afraid to try new things. He was saying how when he invented the doosra, he was on his roof and was bowling and would always try to do new things like change his grip or his finger position and that is how he discovered it. His mentality is if you dont think out of the box then you wont be effective. He also states to always work hard and be a master at it.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFresh23 View Post
    @Thunderbolt14
    Thank you for tagging me. There is a report that says that they are going to announce it in a day or two.
    @Thunderbolt14
    I was watching a video and I dont know how true this journalists report is but the journalist was saying how the they shortlisted this post to three candidates for the interview process. Saqlain Mushtaq was one of them, Atiq Uz Zaman was the other, and the last person was a foreigner. The interview process took place this past Monday. He was saying how Saqlain Mushtaq impressed the commitee alot.
    Last edited by The Viper; 24th May 2020 at 05:10.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rashid Latif posted an old video of Saqlain on twitter(close friend of his). Tagged Nadeem and PCB so it means it is confirmed

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Thunderbolt14
    I was watching a video and I dont know how true this journalists report is but the journalist was saying how the they shortlisted this post to three candidates for the interview process. Saqlain Mushtaq was one of them, Atiq Uz Zaman was the other, and the last person was a foreigner. The interview process took place this past Monday. He was saying how Saqlain Mushtaq impressed the commitee alot.
    I am very impressed by Atiq uz Zaman as well. He has a very good relationship with Nadeem Khan and Rashid Latif from what I can see. Lots of good coaching experience as well at various age group levels. Would definitely be a good pick.

I am most interested in the foreign pick. I wonder if it will be anyone high profile.
    Last edited by MenInG; 24th May 2020 at 12:37.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very impressed by Atiq uz Zaman as well. He has a very good relationship with Nadeem Khan and Rashid Latif from what I can see. Lots of good coaching experience as well at various age group levels. Would definitely be a good pick.

I am most interested in the foreign pick. I wonder if it will be anyone high profile.
    What is the job of the high performance coaching is it evaluation assessment development plans or is it something else

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the primary roles of International Player Development?

Pakistan fan from Bangladesh.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SARJ_BD View Post
    I suppose this is to develop players who can play international cricket! Just a guess

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SARJ_BD View Post
    I think its something to do with identify talent and creating pathways and maximising potentional

So for example when I didn't sports coaching one of the modules were sports development and in that thiers continum
    For example
    foundation which is normal p.e stuff
    Participation is like afterschool clubs
    Performance is based on quality of coaching country regional
    Elite stage is were you get the elite athletes

I belive his job will be performance and elite but creating pathways and working with the coaches not sure if its that thou

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Reports are suggesting that Saqlain Mushtaq will be appointed as Head of International Players Development.

==

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  125.4 KB

==

As per PCB site the job description:

Head International Player Development

Job Purpose:

The Head of International Player Development is responsible for comprehensively
    identifying, developing and preparing players so that they become world class cricketers
    for the senior Pakistan Men’s team

Requirements:

• Level III Cricket Coaching Accreditation or international equivalent.
    • An ex-International cricketer with at least (5) years working experience with an
    international team.
    • Experience and evidence through case studies, of successfully developing and
    supporting cricketers to excel at International level.
    • Strong planning, organizing and executing capabilities.
    • Highly competent in planning individual skills enhancement strategies.
    • Strong leadership and management skills.
    • Proven ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals from varied
    backgrounds.
    • Strong persuasion skills combined with integrity and professionalism.
    • Strong written and oral communication skills.
    • Strong analytical capabilities

https://www.pcb.com.pk/downloads/Hea...evelopment.pdf
    Information on job description in OP

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Saqlain. He is without a doubt one of the most of well behaved ex Pakistani cricketers.

No wonder why he has got job assignments from good boards. He deserves it. Well done Saqlain. Keep serving Cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Spoke with a couple of guys, one a ECB Level 4 coach and one who is doing Level 4. Both applied for this role but didn't hear back from PCB. Soon after they applied, they heard that the job had already been set up for Saqlain.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Spoke with a couple of guys, one a ECB Level 4 coach and one who is doing Level 4. Both applied for this role but didn't hear back from PCB. Soon after they applied, they heard that the job had already been set up for Saqlain.
    Not sure why this is being made into a big deal. It is ultimately the prerogative of the employer to appoint who they deem fit. I have applied to thousands of jobs I felt I was a good candidate for and never ever got a response or even an acknowledgement from and later realized the job posting was set up for certain candidates the employer was very keen on and had previously been in contact with. Applying to a job doesn't mean you are entitled to that job

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think it's unprofessional to take public digs at employers for not hiring you and these things definitely get you blacklisted in the future.

The PCB chose Moin Khan over Waqar Younis in 2014. Waqar didn't make a hissy fit about the decision and accepted it sportingly and next thing you know a couple of months later the PCB appointed Waqar as coach again

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Not sure why this is being made into a big deal. It is ultimately the prerogative of the employer to appoint who they deem fit. I have applied to thousands of jobs I felt I was a good candidate for and never ever got a response or even an acknowledgement from and later realized the job posting was set up for certain candidates the employer was very keen on and had previously been in contact with. Applying to a job doesn't mean you are entitled to that job
    @Savak @Saj
    According to a reporter, they shortlisted three candidates. One was Saqlain Mushtaq, the other person was Atiq uz zaman and the last person was a foreigner. I think PCB did not just look at their coaching certification. They looked at if they were a former cricketer and what experience as a coach they had. Saqlain Mushtaq coached ECB it cant get any better than that. All three candidates has level three or higher coaching certification. But when hiring you have too look at experience. Some people just get upset because they didnt get hired. Like come on their are many other opportunities in the cricket world.

@Saj I think I know who you are talking about the person that is doing his level 4 coaching certification. If it's the same person that we are both talking about, then I have to say that he has never coached a major team.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @Savak @Saj
    According to a reporter, they shortlisted three candidates. One was Saqlain Mushtaq, the other person was Atiq uz zaman and the last person was a foreigner. I think PCB did not just look at their coaching certification. They looked at if they were a former cricketer and what experience as a coach they had. Saqlain Mushtaq coached ECB it cant get any better than that. All three candidates has level three or higher coaching certification. But when hiring you have too look at experience. Some people just get upset because they didnt get hired. Like come on their are many other opportunities in the cricket world.

@Saj I think I know who you are talking about the person that is doing his level 4 coaching certification. If it's the same person that we are both talking about, then I have to say that he has never coached a major team.
    Yup, experience is King ultimately.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I think, Saq will do better than most local candidates in this role, which should demand technical skills, experience both as a player & coach at higher level, lots of passion to run an extra mile and integrity. Also, itís good to see that PCB finally is trying to bring new, younger faces in its system. I guess, some scouting system will be formed under this role, which should short list players for future, and develop them systematically step by step, from U13 to U16 to U19 to PAK A level.

I was thinking about another guy among locals, Kabir Khan, who is equally qualified & experienced, but doesnít have the playerís profile.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Savak @Saj

Saqi is a world cup winning coach, best choice

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I heard it was a tight race between the final two candidates (Saqlain and Misbah), but eventually Misbah pulled out because he felt the role was not demanding enough and wanted more responsibility.

(Satire)

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I think, Saq will do better than most local candidates in this role, which should demand technical skills, experience both as a player & coach at higher level, lots of passion to run an extra mile and integrity. Also, it’s good to see that PCB finally is trying to bring new, younger faces in its system. I guess, some scouting system will be formed under this role, which should short list players for future, and develop them systematically step by step, from U13 to U16 to U19 to PAK A level.

I was thinking about another guy among locals, Kabir Khan, who is equally qualified & experienced, but doesn’t have the player’s profile.
    @MMHS Yeah in terms of local coaches, no one is more qualified then Saqlain Mushtaq. There is no local coach in Pakistan that has a level three coaching course and has enough experience to be appointed in this post. That was one of Wasim Khan and Ehsan Mani goal to bring fresh and young blood in the PCB. They are so far accomplishing this goal with all the appointments so far.

Regarding Kabir Khan he is a really good coach. However his experience as a coach is not enough. Also he is the coach of Khyber Pak in Pakistan domestic. I personally think that he is a good coach for Pakistan domestic.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Apparently Saqlain impressed heavily with his interview compared to the other candidates. I don't see any controversy to be honest, this is how things are done in the professional world

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Apparently Saqlain impressed heavily with his interview compared to the other candidates. I don't see any controversy to be honest, this is how things are done in the professional world
    Some people will always cry foul
    I believe this is a part of pakistani culture

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think it's unprofessional to take public digs at employers for not hiring you and these things definitely get you blacklisted in the future.
    Nobody is taking public digs in this instance unless you can show me where they have?

Incidentally, Dean Jones has said he will never apply for the Pakistan head coach role, after the recruitment process this time around.
    Last edited by Saj; 24th May 2020 at 22:47.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Thunderbolt14
    My brother I just read a report and according to reliable source in PCB, PCB is also negotiating with a Pakistani sports psychologist that is based in the United Kingdom. They are looking to hire psychologist and counselors in the high performance centers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75951346.cms
    @Thunderbolt14
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 24th May 2020 at 22:47.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Thunderbolt14
    My brother I just read a report and according to reliable source in PCB, PCB is also negotiating with a Pakistani sports psychologist that is based in the United Kingdom. They are looking to hire psychologist and counselors in the high performance centers.

@Thunderbolt14
    Saqlain Mushtaq set to be appointed PCB high performance coach for international players

KARACHI: Former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq is set to get an important posting at the Pakistan Cricket Board's High Performance Centre in Lahore.

According to a reliable source in the PCB, Saqlain has agreed to take over as the high performance coach for international players.

"Saqlain is set to join the high Performance Centre soon as the PCB has now started the process of revamping the centre in Lahore with the appointment of Nadeem Khan as the Director of High Performance," the source said.

Saqlain, who has previous experience of having been with the England, West Indies and New Zealand teams as spin bowling coach/consultant, had also applied for the position of the Pakistan junior and A team head coach last year but didn't get the job which eventually went to former Test batsman Ejaz Ahmed.

"But recently when the PCB invited applications for different coaching positions Saqlain had applied for the high performance position and has got the job,” the source said.

He said another Pakistani sports psychologist based in the United Kingdom is also negotiating with the board to join the centre in Lahore.

"The PCB wants full time sports psychologists and counsellors at the centre for the players now," the source added.

The PCB has released all the major officials who were working at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore including director Mudassar Nazar, Haroon Rasheed, Ali Zia etc as it goes for a revamp.

The PCB has also hired David Parsons a high performance coach from England to prepare the syllabus and guidelines for the NCA which will now be known as the High Performance Centre.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nobody is taking public digs in this instance unless you can show me where they have?

Incidentally, Dean Jones has said he will never apply for the Pakistan head coach role, after the recruitment process this time around.
    Pretty unprofessional from dean jones, because he got turned down? It was not his birth right to get the role, as much as i disagree with Misbah's appointment, it was PCB's perrogative to hire the person they want.

Why highlight this candidate has a level 4 coaching certificate but hadn't heard back from the PCB? What was the point of that post?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Pretty unprofessional from dean jones, because he got turned down? It was not his birth right to get the role, as much as i disagree with Misbah's appointment, it was PCB's perrogative to hire the person they want.
    I guess he's making the point that they put him through the whole process when all along he wasn't going to get the job. Don't think he said he had a birth right to the job.....unless you can show me where he said that.

Why highlight this candidate has a level 4 coaching certificate but hadn't heard back from the PCB? What was the point of that post?
    Err because this is a thread about PCB appointments and I am highlighting what 2 applicants have said to me.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I guess he's making the point that they put him through the whole process when all along he wasn't going to get the job. Don't think he said he had a birth right to the job.....unless you can show me where he said that.

Err because this is a thread about PCB appointments and I am highlighting what 2 applicants have said to me.
    Not sure what the issues is.

Dean Jones felt that PCB's process is not transparent. That's his view.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not sure what the issues is.

Dean Jones felt that PCB's process is not transparent. That's his view.
    Thousands of people who get rejected from job postings can feel the same way. Doesn't make a difference

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Thousands of people who get rejected from job postings can feel the same way. Doesn't make a difference
    We are talking about Dean Jones. Check his credentials as coach and then you will understand what he is talking about.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The way jobs work, in such a tight knit circle of cricketers, the PCB will always already have someone in mind for a role they put out. For example, Saqlain must have impressed in his junior team interviews last year, and they must be impressed with Saqlainís experience.

It is natural for an employer to start thinking of a good fit for the job early on. Obviously they will conduct the entire process and have interviews with other coaches too, just in case someone impresses them even more.

The decision about the job is made constantly, before during and after these interviews, before during and after the job description is put out. Thatís how it works with jobs.

At the end of the day you canít just expect the PCB to start thinking about their decision after theyíve interviewed everyone. They already had a candidate that had impressed them and he came to mind, but it is necessary to conduct the process.

Finally, look at how Saqlain was rejected for the earlier role and Ijaz was chosen for the junior team position. He didnít cry foul and say the position was made for Ijaz. Now heís being employed.

Similarly, these level 4 coaches might be employed at a later date for a position that suits them better. They may be great coaches but lack the experience that Saqlain has. Few coaches do. This position is also itself not a direct coaching position. So just because they are level 4 doesnít mean they were better candidates.

At the end of the day, PCB conducted its process and picked who they thought was the best man for the job. Itís good business sense to start thinking about your options in advance.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The way jobs work, in such a tight knit circle of cricketers, the PCB will always already have someone in mind for a role they put out. For example, Saqlain must have impressed in his junior team interviews last year, and they must be impressed with Saqlain’s experience.

It is natural for an employer to start thinking of a good fit for the job early on. Obviously they will conduct the entire process and have interviews with other coaches too, just in case someone impresses them even more.

The decision about the job is made constantly, before during and after these interviews, before during and after the job description is put out. That’s how it works with jobs.

At the end of the day you can’t just expect the PCB to start thinking about their decision after they’ve interviewed everyone. They already had a candidate that had impressed them and he came to mind, but it is necessary to conduct the process.

Finally, look at how Saqlain was rejected for the earlier role and Ijaz was chosen for the junior team position. He didn’t cry foul and say the position was made for Ijaz. Now he’s being employed.

Similarly, these level 4 coaches might be employed at a later date for a position that suits them better. They may be great coaches but lack the experience that Saqlain has. Few coaches do. This position is also itself not a direct coaching position. So just because they are level 4 doesn’t mean they were better candidates.

At the end of the day, PCB conducted its process and picked who they thought was the best man for the job. It’s good business sense to start thinking about your options in advance.
    Then lets not please make a mockery of the process.

Say in advance that our technical committee has suggested these 1,2 or 3 candidates for the job description as posted, but we will be happy to entertain other applications until a certain date. Simple.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We are talking about Dean Jones. Check his credentials as coach and then you will understand what he is talking about.
    He hasn't coached an international team as of yet unless you want to admit that Misbah was incorrectly appointed

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Say in advance that our technical committee has suggested these 1,2 or 3 candidates for the job description as posted, but we will be happy to entertain other applications until a certain date. Simple.
    That's not how it works in the real world, an employer is not obligated to admit the candidates it prefers. It will deter other candidates from applying. There is an application deadline, everyone is free to apply within that deadline and then the process of interviews and shortlisting takes place and eventually the employer is free to decide who it feels most comfortable with in the role

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    He hasn't coached an international team as of yet unless you want to admit that Misbah was incorrectly appointed
    He was rejected (without an explanation or reply) and a person who had also not coached an international side was picked.

I would think Jones out of mark of respect for work he has done in our PSL deserved a one liner, no?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The way jobs work, in such a tight knit circle of cricketers, the PCB will always already have someone in mind for a role they put out. For example, Saqlain must have impressed in his junior team interviews last year, and they must be impressed with Saqlainís experience.

The decision about the job is made constantly, before during and after these interviews, before during and after the job description is put out. Thatís how it works with jobs.

At the end of the day you canít just expect the PCB to start thinking about their decision after theyíve interviewed everyone. They already had a candidate that had impressed them and he came to mind, but it is necessary to conduct the process.

Finally, look at how Saqlain was rejected for the earlier role and Ijaz was chosen for the junior team position. He didnít cry foul and say the position was made for Ijaz. Now heís being employed.

Similarly, these level 4 coaches might be employed at a later date for a position that suits them better. They may be great coaches but lack the experience that Saqlain has. Few coaches do. This position is also itself not a direct coaching position. So just because they are level 4 doesnít mean they were better candidates.

At the end of the day, PCB conducted its process and picked who they thought was the best man for the job. Itís good business sense to start thinking about your options in advance.
    Good post. The PCB stated that they couldn't meet Saqlains compensation demands but for this post I am sure they feel that Saqlains remuneration demands are justified given the scope of the role and responsibilities and perhaps a realization that if they want quality applications then they have to pay at FMV

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    That's not how it works in the real world, an employer is not obligated to admit the candidates it prefers. It will deter other candidates from applying. There is an application deadline, everyone is free to apply within that deadline and then the process of interviews and shortlisting takes place and eventually the employer is free to decide who it feels most comfortable with in the role
    I really dont understand which real world you are referring to.

Can you elaborate which company that wants to hire a top executive fools everyone including itself?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He was rejected (without an explanation or reply) and a person who had also not coached an international side was picked.

I would think Jones out of mark of respect for work he has done in our PSL deserved a one liner, no?
    Lol you think applicant's with stellar experience don't get rejected in the real world. A prospective employer is not obligated to give an explanation or even get back to applicants. If an applicant doesn't hear back, its pretty obvious what the reality is. Sometimes rejected applicants get in touch with the entity for feedback and why the decision didn't go their way and even then the entity is not obligated to get back with a response but sometimes they do ie other candidate was a better fit for the role, other candidate had more relevant experience.

Dean Jones could have been considered for another role in the future in the PCB if an opportunity came up. He only damaged his reputation by taking it personally

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I really dont understand which real world you are referring to.

Can you elaborate which company that wants to hire a top executive fools everyone including itself?
    Umm. Let's start with the PCB. There were 250 applicants for Wasim Khan's role, do you think the PCB got back to each and every one of those 250 applicants. Did each and every of those 250 applicants badmouth the PCB out of spite after being rejected?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Does something like this happen? I have never in my life heard an employer tell potential applicants that they already have some people in mind.

It would discourage people from applying. At the end of the day, PCB gave a fair interview to those level 4 candidates to compare them with the choice they had in mind (and they put Saqlain through the process as well). Those level 4 candidates didnít impress them.

After going through the process they identified Saqlain as the best pick. A) No one can prove that they already had Saqlain in mind which is why I view the above statements by the level 4 coaches as complaining for the sake of it and B) even if they already had Saqlain in mind, there is nothing wrong with that as long as they go through the process.

Same would go for me as well. Letís say Iím running a football club and there is breaking news that Jose Mourinho is unemployed. Obviously I will go through the process and interview people but I would be crazy for Jose Mourinho to not already be on my mind.

Similarly, Saqlain is a world cup winning coach with several years of experience with high profile teams and has directly nurtured some of the best spinners in the last decade. He has already interviewed with the PCB, has an impressively clean record given the fact that heís Pakistani, and is dedicated enough to apply multiple times to the job. He speaks and communicates well, analyzes the game, and understands the domestic system better than any foreign coach and most domestic coaches. He has impressed me as well in a previous interview, even though I couldnít select him for the job.

I would be crazy not to have Saqlain already in my mind. Obviously I will go through the process because I donít know if I might find a better fit. So I go through the process. A couple level 4 coaches apply who are great but not good fits. After conducting interviews, and then conducting another interview with Saqlain for this job, I decide Saqlain is the best man for the job.

Nothing wrong with this. And there is no need to advertise that we already have a candidate because he is only a candidate in our minds.

All this is a hypothetical. We donít even know that they already had Saqlain in mind.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Does something like this happen? I have never in my life heard an employer tell potential applicants that they already have some people in mind.

It would discourage people from applying. At the end of the day, PCB gave a fair interview to those level 4 candidates to compare them with the choice they had in mind (and they put Saqlain through the process as well). Those level 4 candidates didn’t impress them.

After going through the process they identified Saqlain as the best pick. A) No one can prove that they already had Saqlain in mind which is why I view the above statements by the level 4 coaches as complaining for the sake of it and B) even if they already had Saqlain in mind, there is nothing wrong with that as long as they go through the process.

Same would go for me as well. Let’s say I’m running a football club and there is breaking news that Jose Mourinho is unemployed. Obviously I will go through the process and interview people but I would be crazy for Jose Mourinho to not already be on my mind.

Similarly, Saqlain is a world cup winning coach with several years of experience with high profile teams and has directly nurtured some of the best spinners in the last decade. He has already interviewed with the PCB, has an impressively clean record given the fact that he’s Pakistani, and is dedicated enough to apply multiple times to the job. He speaks and communicates well, analyzes the game, and understands the domestic system better than any foreign coach and most domestic coaches. He has impressed me as well in a previous interview, even though I couldn’t select him for the job.

I would be crazy not to have Saqlain already in my mind. Obviously I will go through the process because I don’t know if I might find a better fit. So I go through the process. A couple level 4 coaches apply who are great but not good fits. After conducting interviews, and then conducting another interview with Saqlain for this job, I decide Saqlain is the best man for the job.

Nothing wrong with this. And there is no need to advertise that we already have a candidate because he is only a candidate in our minds.

All this is a hypothetical. We don’t even know that they already had Saqlain in mind.
    I will tell you what does not happen in proper organizations.

You do not pre-select candidates and then says its an open competition.

Of course Saqlain has good credentials but then what are we telling other candidates? Dont bother applying because the decision is already done.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Of course Saqlain has good credentials but then what are we telling other candidates? Dont bother applying because the decision is already done.
    He wasnít pre selected .-. he was in their minds and nothing wrong with that

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He wasnít pre selected .-. he was in their minds and nothing wrong with that
    In this hypothetical. We donít even know this

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Let's not get it twisted. Saqlain is being selected for a very important role. He is responsible for bringing our NCA and domestic coaches up to international standards. If he does a good job, it will bear fruits and lead to an improvement in standards at the domestic and grass roots level

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I worked in a bank in London. Often as a junior / graduate joiner, after a few years of networking it was encouraged to build relationships with the teams you were interested in and ultimately push them to hire you. Often those teams would have to wait until there was a business case to hire someone (someone else gets promoted of leaves etc). Some would even push a business case through the grapevine because theyíre impressed with a junior.

Now, when this happens, the team leader notifies you in advance and tells you to start preparing everything, because they like you and want you for the position. But every single hire has to be advertised on the internal job board for at least 2 weeks. During this time, anyone can apply and people often do. The manager is then required to interview at least one or two other people and ofcourse interview you.

After this, they are free to chose you. Now, you could say that the preferred candidate had a huge advantage - he knew in advance, he had an insight into the team, the manager already wanted him etc.

But thatís the way it works. Everyone knows that. Very few roles are devoid of some prior bias.

The issue arises when something like with Misbah happens. He was directly involved in the removal of the coach, stated on the record that he was not applying for the position despite strong indications he already had the position in his grasp, invited a fair and open process only for Misbah to throw his hat in at the last minute and get the position despite not meeting the minimum criteria.

Deano has every right to be angry.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    I worked in a bank in London. Often as a junior / graduate joiner, after a few years of networking it was encouraged to build relationships with the teams you were interested in and ultimately push them to hire you. Often those teams would have to wait until there was a business case to hire someone (someone else gets promoted of leaves etc). Some would even push a business case through the grapevine because theyíre impressed with a junior.

Now, when this happens, the team leader notifies you in advance and tells you to start preparing everything, because they like you and want you for the position. But every single hire has to be advertised on the internal job board for at least 2 weeks. During this time, anyone can apply and people often do. The manager is then required to interview at least one or two other people and ofcourse interview you.

After this, they are free to chose you. Now, you could say that the preferred candidate had a huge advantage - he knew in advance, he had an insight into the team, the manager already wanted him etc.

But thatís the way it works. Everyone knows that. Very few roles are devoid of some prior bias.

The issue arises when something like with Misbah happens. He was directly involved in the removal of the coach, stated on the record that he was not applying for the position despite strong indications he already had the position in his grasp, invited a fair and open process only for Misbah to throw his hat in at the last minute and get the position despite not meeting the minimum criteria.

Deano has every right to be angry.
    Even Saqlain got rejected in the past. He didn't take it personally and he reapplied for another position. Why couldn't Dean Jones have taken the same approach?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even Saqlain got rejected in the past. He didn't take it personally and he reapplied for another position. Why couldn't Dean Jones have taken the same approach?
    Because it appears that Saqlain was rejected after a fair process.

Deano and also Mickey should feel rightly aggrieved at the farcical events which took place. The blatant conflict of interest where Misbah voted to push out Mickey, lied about not being interested and then got the job despite not meeting the criteria has been swept under the carpet by so many fans.

Iím sure Dean will be interested in the future if an opportunity comes up, just as long as Misbah is not near it.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @MMHS Yeah in terms of local coaches, no one is more qualified then Saqlain Mushtaq. There is no local coach in Pakistan that has a level three coaching course and has enough experience to be appointed in this post. That was one of Wasim Khan and Ehsan Mani goal to bring fresh and young blood in the PCB. They are so far accomplishing this goal with all the appointments so far.

Regarding Kabir Khan he is a really good coach. However his experience as a coach is not enough. Also he is the coach of Khyber Pak in Pakistan domestic. I personally think that he is a good coach for Pakistan domestic.
    For some reason, PCB never tried to utilize Kabir, who is an ECB Level 3 (Might now has upgraded him, he was level 3 12 years back when he joined Afghans as Coach) pro coaching badge holder and quite experienced in coaching - Afghans raised under him, UAE improved lot as well. Instead of this guy Ijaz, PCB could have appointed KK for the U19 squad - batting technique of most PAK U19 boys suggests that someone technically qualified coach should look after them.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He wasn’t pre selected .-. he was in their minds and nothing wrong with that
    Yes he was pre-selected.

People within PCB have leaked it. Other candidates have confirmed it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Why shouldn't Dean Jones take the stance he did and pinpoint issues within the process. He is entitled to do that if he wishes to.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasim Khan is trying to recreate the ECB cricketing structures as much as he can but tbh, unless the guys appointed have a real passion to make a difference, these jobs are a waste of time. Does anyone really believe that Nadeem Khan or Saqlain will make even an iota of difference. Most of these ex cricketers see these jobs as a smash and grab raid.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MiG bhai, agree with you that stating it is a fair battlefield but you have preselected your candidate.

The problem is that PCB due to the law have to advertise the role as it is a government organisation. Hence the advert. However if that law is scrapped they wouldnt advertise.

It is is somewhat similar to what it was in the UK that you cant hire a foreigner, till you have advertised the role locally and then hire an outsider if you arent happy with local applications.

What employers did in the UK was they would complete the whole interview process, advertise at a local job centre and issue the offer letter 14 days later stating to the home office that they would like to hire a foreign worker for the role

عبدي أنت تريد ، وأنا أريد ، ولا يكون إلا ما أريد ، فإن سلمت لي فيما تريد كفيتك ما تريد

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he was pre-selected.

People within PCB have leaked it. Other candidates have confirmed it.
    @Saj @Thunderbolt14
    Even if he was pre selected, no one else had a better experience history then Saqlain mushtaq did. He was a coaching staff of the world cup winning team England. Like I said before in a post for this position, experience as a coach was a big deciding factor. Like @Thunderbolt14 said before in a post that no one else impressed them more than Saqlain Mushtaq. The other candidates that had level 4, their experience is with county teams, whereas Saqlain has experience with ECB and other international teams and he has coached a few county teams. Those candidates are obviously going to say that "it was not a fair process". Some people cant take rejection.

Also you know how I know that experience was a big factor along with having a level three or above, because their was around 40 applicants that applied for this post and they shortlisted only three. Two out of the three(dont know who the foreigner is), is Saqlain Mushtaq and Atiq uz zaman who both have lots of experience as a coach. I am sure the foreigner had experience as well too.
    @Saj @Thunderbolt14
    Let's just say they pre selected him, they still interviewed all the other applicants who went through the same process as Saqlain did. No one impressed PCB more than Saqlain did so they picked him. There is nothing wrong with that. It was a fair process. Also David Parsons is also their and is involved in shortlisting and interview process. Even if some of you dont trust PCB in terms of being fair, that man worked in a system that is based on merit in ECB. He knows how to select candidates and interview them. He had a major say too. He had nothing lose in terms of selecting on merit.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Even if he was pre selected, no one else had a better experience history then Saqlain mushtaq did.
    You can't say for sure as you do not know who ALL of the other applicants were.

The other candidates that had level 4, their experience is with county teams
    Wrong. Again.

Those candidates are obviously going to say that "it was not a fair process". Some people cant take rejection.
    The guys who I spoke with, they're not bothered about not getting the job, rather they are intrigued by the process, as Dean Jones was.
    Last edited by Saj; 25th May 2020 at 17:44.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saqlain is a good choice for this post, Ever since Wasim Khan's appointment I feel pakistan cricket is moving forward in the right direction.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't say for sure as you do not know who ALL of the other applicants were.

Wrong. Again.

The guys who I spoke with, they're not bothered about not getting the job, rather they are intrigued by the process, as Dean Jones was.
    But I don't understand the problem that there is. @Saj name me one candidate that applied as you know some of them, that has better coaching experience than Saqlain does.

@Saj please name some candidates that have level 4?

You know how these applicants dont make sense. They got interviewed and they applied, but they didnt receive a response or get a job, so they assume that the process is not fair. If you look at the three candidates that got shortlisted all three had a good resume as a coach. There not going to interview everyone. The best candidates get chosen for the interview process.

@Saj Let me give you an example where teams have a person they want before hand but still go through the process.
    When India was looking for a head coach and support staff, there were many top applicants that applied for each post. Johnty Rhodes has a better coaching resume than their current fielding coach but they wanted their current fielding coach and preferred. For the batting position Mark Ramprakash applied and that man is experienced as a coach, but india preferred their own people. This happens in England, Australia, New zealand and etc.

Their is still a process that still goes through. I am sure if Trevor bayliss applied, PCB would have not have once choice to make. They would then have a tough race between Saqlain Mushtaq and Trevor Bayliss, and both would have to leave an impression in their interviews.
    @Saj

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    But I don't understand the problem that there is. @Saj name me one candidate that applied as you know some of them, that has better coaching experience than Saqlain does.
    Well you are saying Saqlain was the best applicant. By saying that, you are making it sound like you know all the applicants. So come on, name them all then.

please name some candidates that have level 4?
    You are saying Saqlain was the best candidate. Maybe he was. But by saying that, you should know who all the candidates were. So, name them then.

The best candidates get chosen for the interview process.
    So you keep saying.....without even knowing who applied for the role. Which makes no sense at all.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you are saying Saqlain was the best applicant. By saying that, you are making it sound like you know all the applicants. So come on, name them all then.

You are saying Saqlain was the best candidate. Maybe he was. But by saying that, you should know who all the candidates were. So, name them then.

So you keep saying.....without even knowing who applied for the role. Which makes no sense at all.
    @Saj
    I dont need to name because none of the candidates was a coach for recent World Cup champion England.

My brother you name me one candidate that you think is better candidate than Saqlain or competes against and I'll write you a whole analysis with facts, stating that he is not better than Saqlain.
    Your telling me David Parsons is not interviewing people on merit. The last time I checked that man transformed England cricket.

So why didnt those candidates get selected for the interview process? Atiq uz zaman and a foreigner got selected for the interview process.
    @Saj please mention me one candidate and I'll write u a report of why he didn't deserve it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    @Saj
    I dont need to name because none of the candidates was a coach for recent World Cup champion England.

My brother you name me one candidate that you think is better candidate than Saqlain or competes against and I'll write you a whole analysis with facts, stating that he is not better than Saqlain.
    Your telling me David Parsons is not interviewing people on merit. The last time I checked that man transformed England cricket.

So why didnt those candidates get selected for the interview process? Atiq uz zaman and a foreigner got selected for the interview process.
    @Saj please mention me one candidate and I'll write u a report of why he didn't deserve it.
    You are saying Saqlain was the best candidate, maybe he was. But you are saying he was the best without even knowing who the other candidates were, which makes no sense at all.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Saj and @MoFresh23 is David Parsons interviewing candidates? Also what is Parsons doing to help our high performance?
    Very excited to see how our high performance centre develops and really happy with the work Wasim Khan is doing

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    And for those claiming Mickey Arthur was hard done by. The PCB gave him every opportunity to present his case in front of the PCB Cricket Committee but he failed to do so and the PCB decided to move on. How was that unfair? Going into the WC our ODI track record was horrendous where we lost 13 matches in a row and then we all know about his diabolical decisions to play one proper spinner in the UAE and we lost our UAE dominant record and we atleast didn't lose a test series in the UAE under Misbah which speaks a lot. There were plenty of grounds to show him the door without even giving him a hearing but the PCB gave him every chance till the end to make his case.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't know how good Saqi will be but he seems to have taken the right route according to the qualification he's achieved. Hopefully this appointment works in Pakistan's favour.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And for those claiming Mickey Arthur was hard done by. The PCB gave him every opportunity to present his case in front of the PCB Cricket Committee but he failed to do so and the PCB decided to move on. How was that unfair? Going into the WC our ODI track record was horrendous where we lost 13 matches in a row and then we all know about his diabolical decisions to play one proper spinner in the UAE and we lost our UAE dominant record and we atleast didn't lose a test series in the UAE under Misbah which speaks a lot. There were plenty of grounds to show him the door without even giving him a hearing but the PCB gave him every chance till the end to make his case.
    Because it didnít matter what he said in his presentation. One of the people deciding whether to keep him or not was the person who wanted his job.

Surely anyone can see how that puts him in a no win position.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Because it didn’t matter what he said in his presentation. One of the people deciding whether to keep him or not was the person who wanted his job.

Surely anyone can see how that puts him in a no win position.
    I agree with the Misbah conflict of interest part. But lets not kid ourselves, regardless of Mickey's excuses in the presentation, he didn't really say anything impressive in the presentation and most people here wanted him shown the door. Whether Misbah was the right person to replace him is a different topic.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ataullah View Post
    @Saj and @MoFresh23 is David Parsons interviewing candidates? Also what is Parsons doing to help our high performance?
    Very excited to see how our high performance centre develops and really happy with the work Wasim Khan is doing
    @ataullah
    Yes my brother, David Parsons is part of the committee that is conducting interviews and hiring. There are many things he id doing to help the High performance system. He is a consultant. One of his job is to mentor the four individuals that are getting selected for the high performance center. If u want to know all his responsibilities, then go on pcb.com.pk. And then when u are on the website,scroll all the way on the bottom and click Career Archive. When u click on that then u are going to see the post Consultant-High Performance Cricket System Development.

Thank you for acknowledging the amazing work Wasim khan has been doing.

@ataullah

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Certainly not defending PCB or Mickey, but according to Arthur he had been told by PCB that he would continue in the role.

Now if PCB were undecided, then if Arthur is right in what he's saying, PCB probably should not have told him his contract will be extended after the World Cup.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. You could have not said it any better.❤.People dont realize Mickey Arthur had nothing to present which would let him get a second term.
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th May 2020 at 22:05.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Certainly not defending PCB or Mickey, but according to Arthur he had been told by PCB that he would continue in the role.

Now if PCB were undecided, then if Arthur is right in what he's saying, PCB probably should not have told him his contract will be extended after the World Cup.
    Not sure if you remember the timeline. Mickey Arthur during the ODI WC in England met Mani, WK and told them specifically that if you guys are letting me go then let me know now, they told him that they had not made a decision as of yet and that he should attend the PCB Cricket Committee meeting in Pakistan and present his case and the PCB will decide then.

It was clear that the PCB was undecided at the time and wanted to give him the chance to present his case and then debate. Arthur had one shot at making a case for himself in that meeting and its obvious he didn't impress. He was overconfident in thinking he would get an extension because he was a gora and that the PCB would not have many applicants but his poor results eventually bit him badly

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He was overconfident in thinking he would get an extension because he was a gora
    That is hilarious. So you think Mickey Arthur thought he would be retained as Head Coach because he was white.

You've outdone yourself.

Listening to what he's said about the process is that he was not impressed with the sudden change of plan by PCB.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you remember the timeline. Mickey Arthur during the ODI WC in England met Mani, WK and told them specifically that if you guys are letting me go then let me know now, they told him that they had not made a decision as of yet and that he should attend the PCB Cricket Committee meeting in Pakistan and present his case and the PCB will decide then.

It was clear that the PCB was undecided at the time and wanted to give him the chance to present his case and then debate. Arthur had one shot at making a case for himself in that meeting and its obvious he didn't impress. He was overconfident in thinking he would get an extension because he was a gora and that the PCB would not have many applicants but his poor results eventually bit him badly
    You are clearly making things up that fit the narrative such as Ďhe was overconfident because he was a goraí and ĎHis presentation wasnít impressiveí etc whereas completely brushing over the only actual fact which is that Misbah being on the committee made the process ridiculous. Just Ďacceptingí it like you did and then coming up with all these other subjective statements does not show you in a good light.

Mickey MIGHT have come to the presentation in his shorts and farted in front of the committee but the point is - the only thing we know for certain is that the process was wrong.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are clearly making things up that fit the narrative such as Ďhe was overconfident because he was a goraí and ĎHis presentation wasnít impressiveí etc whereas completely brushing over the only actual fact which is that Misbah being on the committee made the process ridiculous. Just Ďacceptingí it like you did and then coming up with all these other subjective statements does not show you in a good light.

Mickey MIGHT have come to the presentation in his shorts and farted in front of the committee but the point is - the only thing we know for certain is that the process was wrong.
    @Forum363
    He is not making things up. When Ehsan Mani took post he said he fully supports Mickey Arthur. Then when Wasim Khan took post, there was only a few months before the world cup, so he said that he supports Mickey Arthur and the staff for the World Cup. He then said that they will evaluate the performance after the World Cup. Its true that he was feeling over confident. There is no achievements from his stint besides Champions trophy. They were going downwards in ODI and Test. And towards the last couple of months of his stint they were going downwards in T20. He is a coach in terms of working technical with players. Dont get me wrong he has always supported youngsters, which was good but selection was only based on PSL. He does not know pakistan domestic at all.

Tell me one thing that he did impressive as a head coach besides Champions trophy.

@Forum363
    Tell me one other local coach that would have been a better choice then Misbah. Misbah is a leader by nature. He led Pakistan to number 1 in the test rankings. Btw Waqar Younis was the head coach.

Also PCB never promised him that he would be retained
    Last edited by MoFresh23; 26th May 2020 at 00:16.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Saj bhai regarding Saqlain. I see where you are coming from and why you think itís not right to assume he is the best man for the job.

I think what @MoFresh23 is trying to say is, even though we donít know who the foreign applicants are beyond him and Atiq uz Zaman, it seems there is a strong preference being placed on two things.

First thing is experience (which you say the other applicants also had, so point taken).

Second thing is a knowledge of domestic. A lot of names so far, from Misbah to Nadeem Khan to Saqlain to Atiq uz Zaman are based on this knowledge of domestic/ability to communicate in Urdu.

I think what my brother @MoFresh23 is trying to say is even if one of those applicants you are talking about is Andy Flower or the second incarnation of Bob Woolmer, there is a case to be made that Saqlain can do a much better job.

Ask yourself one second, why would they select Saqlain? What is in Wasim Khan or Ehsan Maniís interest that they will benefit from his appointment. If you can tell me some reason for this PCB conspiracy then I might even agree with you.

For now, I canít say anything like this so itís no use pointing fingers. All I see in this appointment is a decision with good potential. Maybe I am wrong and you can tell me why, I would be happy to listen
    Last edited by Thunderbolt14; 26th May 2020 at 00:38.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    That is hilarious. So you think Mickey Arthur thought he would be retained as Head Coach because he was white.

You've outdone yourself.

Listening to what he's said about the process is that he was not impressed with the sudden change of plan by PCB.
    Lol, naturally he will not be impressed by the sudden decision to not reinstate him. Does the PCB not have the right to change their decision after something new comes to light? Maybe Mickey Arthur is not being transparent and honest about the competency of his answers and presentation to the PCB Cricket Committee in July 2019 due to which the PCB felt compelled that they needed to move in a new direction.

For a coach who demanded high standards from players, for players to look themselves in the mirror and take responsibility for their performances and position in the game, he certainly does not practice what he preaches when it comes to his coaching. The guy played to the galleries, was quick to take credit for all successful things which happened in his tenure but quick to pin point the blame to the players whenever things backfired.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol, naturally he will not be impressed by the sudden decision to not reinstate him. Does the PCB not have the right to change their decision after something new comes to light? Maybe Mickey Arthur is not being transparent and honest about the competency of his answers and presentation to the PCB Cricket Committee in July 2019 due to which the PCB felt compelled that they needed to move in a new direction.

For a coach who demanded high standards from players, for players to look themselves in the mirror and take responsibility for their performances and position in the game, he certainly does not practice what he preaches when it comes to his coaching. The guy played to the galleries, was quick to take credit for all successful things which happened in his tenure but quick to pin point the blame to the players whenever things backfired.
    Examples of him taking credit for players' success?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    @Saj bhai regarding Saqlain. I see where you are coming from and why you think it’s not right to assume he is the best man for the job.

I think what @MoFresh23 is trying to say is, even though we don’t know who the foreign applicants are beyond him and Atiq uz Zaman, it seems there is a strong preference being placed on two things.

First thing is experience (which you say the other applicants also had, so point taken).

Second thing is a knowledge of domestic. A lot of names so far, from Misbah to Nadeem Khan to Saqlain to Atiq uz Zaman are based on this knowledge of domestic/ability to communicate in Urdu.

I think what my brother @MoFresh23 is trying to say is even if one of those applicants you are talking about is Andy Flower or the second incarnation of Bob Woolmer, there is a case to be made that Saqlain can do a much better job.

Ask yourself one second, why would they select Saqlain? What is in Wasim Khan or Ehsan Mani’s interest that they will benefit from his appointment. If you can tell me some reason for this PCB conspiracy then I might even agree with you.

For now, I can’t say anything like this so it’s no use pointing fingers. All I see in this appointment is a decision with good potential. Maybe I am wrong and you can tell me why, I would be happy to listen
    Whether Saqlain is the right man for the job, only time will tell. I am sure we all hope he is.

But what intrigues me is when people say he's the best man for the job when they don't even know who else has applied for the job.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Forum363
    He is not making things up. When Ehsan Mani took post he said he fully supports Mickey Arthur. Then when Wasim Khan took post, there was only a few months before the world cup, so he said that he supports Mickey Arthur and the staff for the World Cup. He then said that they will evaluate the performance after the World Cup. Its true that he was feeling over confident. There is no achievements from his stint besides Champions trophy. They were going downwards in ODI and Test. And towards the last couple of months of his stint they were going downwards in T20. He is a coach in terms of working technical with players. Dont get me wrong he has always supported youngsters, which was good but selection was only based on PSL. He does not know pakistan domestic at all.

Tell me one thing that he did impressive as a head coach besides Champions trophy.

@Forum363
    Tell me one other local coach that would have been a better choice then Misbah. Misbah is a leader by nature. He led Pakistan to number 1 in the test rankings. Btw Waqar Younis was the head coach.

Also PCB never promised him that he would be retained
    My point that he was making things up is that what heís said cannot be proven.

And the same applies to you. You said because Wasim Khan said Mickey has his support until the World Cup that Mickey became Ďover confidentí? How exactly can you determine that Mickey was Ďover confidentí? Sorry but thatís a bold claim.

Mickeys main two achievements were his handling of Babar and Shaheen. True those two are talented players who may have been successful without Mickey but have a look at Babars career before and after Mickey took off.

As to the point about naming someone better than Misbah. That is irrelevant. It was a ridiculous process (conflict of interest), Misbah came out and said Ďhe hadnt applied for the post and the rumours were wrongí before suddenly applying anyway, and the fact that he did not meet the criteria for the position.

So it doesnít matter whether I name someone better or not.