Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    US defence secretary opposes sending troops to quell unrest over the death of George Floyd

President Donald Trump has said the army will "quickly solve the problem"

Protests over Floyd's death in Minneapolis have engulfed several US states

George Floyd died as a policeman knelt on his neck for eight minutes

The mother of Floyd's young daughter pleads for justice

The Pope says "we cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    One of Trump's most controversial moves during this protest has been his photo-op posing with a Bible outside a landmark church in Washington.

Among those with him was Defence Secretary Mark Esper.

He is now saying he was given no advance notice that White House officials would walk through a recently-cleared protest to pose for pictures outside the church.

"I was not aware that a photo op was happening," he said in an interview.

"I thought I was going to do two things: to see some damage and to talk to the troops," he told NBC, adding that he thought they were going to see a public restroom that was damaged the night before.

"I didn't know where I was going," Esper said. "I wanted to see how much damage actually happened." He added that he had "no idea" that police would disperse the crowd.

The church photo-op led one former top policy official at the Pentagon to quit, writing a scathing resignation letter.

"President Trump’s actions Monday night violated his oath to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed,' as well as the First Amendment 'right of the people peaceably to assemble,'" wrote former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy James Miller.

"You may not have been able to stop President Trump from directing this appalling use of force, but you could have chosen to oppose it. Instead, you visibly supported it.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Defense Secretary Esper doesn't support invoking Insurrection Act

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said during a press conference that he supported the rights of US citizens to protest peacefully and does not support the invocation of the Insurrection Act.

"It is these rights and freedoms that make our country so special. It is these rights and freedoms that American service members are willing to fight and die for," Esper said in remarks before taking questions.

"I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act."

President Trump has threatened to use the act to use the military to quell protests across the country. The Insurrection Act dates to the early 1800s and permits the president to send in US forces to suppress a domestic insurrection that has hindered the normal enforcement of US law.

Esper further said he was not informed about Trump's controversial photo-op at a church which took place on Monday.

"I was not aware of law enforcement's plans for the park. I was not briefed on them, nor should I expect to be", Esper said.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it a little hypocritical when us Pakistanis are criticising violence and protests. How did south asians throw off the shackles off colonial rule? How was Pakistan created? How did my people specifically, azad Kashmiris, defeat and overthrow the brutal Hindu dogra regime? Our elders, protested, picked up arms, and fought. And Alhamdulillah for that.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by albinogonk View Post
    I find it a little hypocritical when us Pakistanis are criticising violence and protests. How did south asians throw off the shackles off colonial rule? How was Pakistan created? How did my people specifically, azad Kashmiris, defeat and overthrow the brutal Hindu dogra regime? Our elders, protested, picked up arms, and fought. And Alhamdulillah for that.
    Cant recall them going on a mass looting spree.

Protests are correct but nobody can deny many blacks are using this simply for crime. This isn't a justice or freedom movement for everyone.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Minnesota AG reportedly makes decision on additional charges

The Minnesota attorney general has reportedly reached a decision on filing additional charges against the police officers who were fired over the killing of George Floyd.

CNN reports:

One of the [law enforcement] officials said state Attorney General Keith Ellison will be making a significant announcement in the case early this afternoon. The officials would not reveal what the decision was.

Three now-former officers can be seen on video on top of Floyd during his killing on May 25. Derek Chauvin, who had his knee pressed into Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, has been charged with third-degree murder and second-degre manslaughter.

Former officers Thomas Lane and J.A. Keung, who helped restrain Floyd, and a fourth former officer, Tou Thao, who stood near the others, have not yet been charged.

When the charges against Chauvin were announced on Friday, many critics said his colleagues should have been charged along with him, but Hennepin county attorney Mike Freeman said that he expected additional charges to be filed.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Retried officer killed on live stream protecting a pawn shop?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...id-unrest.html

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post

Protests are correct but nobody can deny many blacks are using this simply for crime. This isn't a justice or freedom movement for everyone.
    They're angry and rightfully so. They've been slaves for centuries. Screw your business, fight for equality. No way things should ever return to normal.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Defense Secretary Esper doesn't support invoking Insurrection Act

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said during a press conference that he supported the rights of US citizens to protest peacefully and does not support the invocation of the Insurrection Act.

"It is these rights and freedoms that make our country so special. It is these rights and freedoms that American service members are willing to fight and die for," Esper said in remarks before taking questions.

"I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act."

President Trump has threatened to use the act to use the military to quell protests across the country. The Insurrection Act dates to the early 1800s and permits the president to send in US forces to suppress a domestic insurrection that has hindered the normal enforcement of US law.

Esper further said he was not informed about Trump's controversial photo-op at a church which took place on Monday.

"I was not aware of law enforcement's plans for the park. I was not briefed on them, nor should I expect to be", Esper said.
    Smart move.

To be honest, Trump is only talking to his voters here: "hey, I tried to use the military but my hands were tied".

I got a feeling orange agent might win the next elections as well.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Retried officer killed on live stream protecting a pawn shop?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...id-unrest.html
    What a tragedy. RIP.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    At least one police officer has been punched during protests outside Downing Street

The protest in London's Hyde Park at 1pm on Wednesday in solidarity with protests in the US, with people flocking to the park in crowds and chanting, "no justice, no peace" while holding up signs.

Thousands of protesters have blocked the roads outside the Houses of Parliament and a group is approaching Downing Street.

The protesters continue to chant George Floyd's name as well as "the UK is not innocent".

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfc120 View Post
    They're angry and rightfully so. They've been slaves for centuries. Screw your business, fight for equality. No way things should ever return to normal.
    The looters aren't looting police stations but businesses, many owned by fellow blacks.

There is a video of a elderly black lady cyring after cleaning up the mess and damage to her small shop.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, looting is a part of nearly all uprisings and revolutions. Do you not think Muslims looted the houses of the Hindu dogras who had fled?

Regardless of that, I won't defend mindless looting. What I do support is the right to violent protest of an oppressed minority. So when I see police officers and government infrastructure in the US being attacked, i think its about time tbh. Freedom has never been given, it is always fought for and taken.

I also note how you only pointed out the black people who are looting when videos and pictures prove that many white people are doing so too.
    Last edited by albinogonk; 3rd June 2020 at 23:22.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The looters aren't looting police stations but businesses, many owned by fellow blacks.

There is a video of a elderly black lady cyring after cleaning up the mess and damage to her small shop.
    I know you’re not rascist but you’ve fallen into the trap.
    Do not generalise
    The looters are also white and hespanic and make up a small minority.

Don’t be surprised if they’re also being instrigated by the white supremists, e.g twitter removing an account etc

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by albinogonk View Post
    Actually, looting is a part of nearly all uprisings and revolutions. Do you not think Muslims looted the houses of the Hindu dogras who had fled?

Regardless of that, I won't defend mindless looting. What I do support is the right to violent protest of an oppressed minority. So when I see police officers and government infrastructure in the US being attacked, i think its about time tbh. Freedom has never been given, it is always fought for and taken.

I also note how you only pointed out the black people who are looting when videos and pictures prove that many white people are doing so too.
    It makes no difference to white people if white people are looting. My point was the looters are not helping the cause. I have no issues with violent protests against the police or government.

Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I know you’re not rascist but you’ve fallen into the trap.
    Do not generalise
    The looters are also white and hespanic and make up a small minority.

Don’t be surprised if they’re also being instrigated by the white supremists, e.g twitter removing an account etc
    Some rioters are also undercover police imo. But again my point is there are opportunits who are black who are simply using this incident to loot for personal again. The same happened here in the UK a few years ago.

Black people themselves in large numbers are against this, doubt they are falling into any trap but are wise enough to realise this is making it worse for them.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So bizarre to see people in Hyde Park and Netherlands protesting in huge crowds about something that happened thousands of miles away in the US.. how are they affected by this?

John 3:16

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaskutty View Post
    So bizarre to see people in Hyde Park and Netherlands protesting in huge crowds about something that happened thousands of miles away in the US.. how are they affected by this?
    Sheep jumping on the bandwagon.

Half of these clows were abusing the Chinese and Easter Europeans a few months ago, but now feel they are the liberators of racism.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You donít have to be personally affected by something to take a stand against it. Not everything has to be defined by country and nationalism, itís ok to stand up for others even if they are not exactly the same as you.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Think of it like a massive act of collective self-harm.

In the Brixton riots of 1981 and 1986, black Britons smashed and burned their own community. It was the only way to express their fury. The anger and frustration turned inward.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half of these clows were abusing the Chinese and Easter Europeans a few months ago, but now feel they are the liberators of racism.
    I am sure some are just following the trend but others do actually feel strongly about this issue. Also since the issue of police brutality isn’t really restricted to just the US, the protest around the world make sense.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Because what happened to that poor man is a knife at the heart of every member of the black diaspora.

And for non-blacks, the demos are an expression of solidarity.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Think of it like a massive act of collective self-harm.

In the Brixton riots of 1981 and 1986, black Britons smashed and burned their own community. It was the only way to express their fury. The anger and frustration turned inward.
    They are being played by the government , right into Trumps hands. He knows more whites will vote for him now. I am certain he will win the next election by a good margin unless he does something stupid to annoy those voters.

Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post
    I am sure some are just following the trend but others do actually feel strongly about this issue. Also since the issue of police brutality isn’t really restricted to just the US, the protest around the world make sense.
    There is no police brutality in the UK. YEs the police are racist but I cant recall the last time anyone was murdered by a copper here.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th June 2020 at 01:16.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Because what happened to that poor man is a knife at the heart of every member of the black diaspora.

And for non-blacks, the demos are an expression of solidarity.
    What crime was he suspected of that the cops used such force and killed him in the process?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    What crime was he suspected of that the cops used such force and killed him in the process?
    He allegedly bought a packet of cigarettes with a fake twenty dollar bill.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it is. What was even more disturbing is that here in the NL just like most other places people are forced to keep distance. The 1.5 meter rule but during the protest Amsterdam was jampacked with 1000s of people including the Mayor of Amsterdam!

Pathetic.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    White House: President has 'sole authority' to deploy troops

Defence Secretary Mark Esper said today that he does not support invoking the Insurrection Act, a 19th Century law that allows the federal government to send the military into states.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany says Trump may still enact the Insurrection Act "if needed".

She calls the act "a tool available to the president who has the sole authority" to use it.

So far, the National Guard has been ordered into states and cities at the request of governors and mayors, not the president.

The only place where active-duty US troops have been deployed is to Washington DC.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    Of course it is. What was even more disturbing is that here in the NL just like most other places people are forced to keep distance. The 1.5 meter rule but during the protest Amsterdam was jampacked with 1000s of people including the Mayor of Amsterdam!

Pathetic.
    They are protesting because RACISM still unfortunately exists in our society. Its not an issue limited to one country or one state but we need to get rid of this anti-blackness from the world.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hashimafzal View Post
    They are protesting because RACISM still unfortunately exists in our society. Its not an issue limited to one country or one state but we need to get rid of this anti-blackness from the world.
    It is not a realistic goal. I don't think racism can be 100% eliminated. I think it is better to focus on other important issues (for example - poverty, renewable energy, vaccines etc.).

These so called social issues are really non-issues.

Having said that, George Floyd was unfairly killed and that particular officer should get a long sentence.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1970 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Ugly scenes tonight in London.

Police officers attacked.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Ugly scenes tonight in London.

Police officers attacked.
    Total idiots.

What has this got to do with the UK? When their government bombs inncoent Arab children to death, same people dont show any empathy.

Sounds fishy and controlled.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    It is not a realistic goal. I don't think racism can be 100% eliminated. I think it is better to focus on other important issues (for example - poverty, renewable energy, vaccines etc.).

Having said that, George Floyd was unfairly killed and that particular officer should get a long sentence.
    As long as they don’t affect you.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Total idiots.

What has this got to do with the UK? When their government bombs inncoent Arab children to death, same people dont show any empathy.

Sounds fishy and controlled.
    Solidarity.

What you are saying here is that if people do not take a stand against all wrongs they should not take a stand against any wrong at all.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Solidarity.

What you are saying here is that if people do not take a stand against all wrongs they should not take a stand against any wrong at all.
    Solidarity by attacking UK cops? The state must stop appeasing the anarchists. The great Churchill would be turning in his grave.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Solidarity.

We are in a lockdown. There is a risk of a second wave, solidarity doesnt mean risking others lives and beating up British cops who are nothing like the Yank police.

Palestinians are murdered weekly by Israelli police also in brutal fashion, most the same people dont care.

Sheep who follow whatever is fed to them.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Solidarity by attacking UK cops? The state must stop appeasing the anarchists. The great Churchill would be turning in his grave.
    100% agree, he would be disgusted with anyone protesting, being one of the most racist leaders in history.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes. He deployed tanks as a scare tactic to break up the General Strike.

The usual troublemakers will be out, but there are many people who seek to protest legitimately too.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We are in a lockdown. There is a risk of a second wave, solidarity doesnt mean risking others lives and beating up British cops who are nothing like the Yank police.

Palestinians are murdered weekly by Israelli police also in brutal fashion, most the same people dont care.

Sheep who follow whatever is fed to them.
    Ah, but wait, healthy people have nothing to fear, you told us so.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, but wait, healthy people have nothing to fear, you told us so.
    Those with strong immune systems.

These protestors are made up for all sorts of people, plenty of older people present who are likely to catch the virus from any infected host.

The point is it's not the right to time to join in any protest. The second point was most dont care about racism towards chinese, arabs etc. Hypocrisy and just idiots who are making it harder for their own countrymen. Beating up UK policers is a disgrace, hardly solidarity.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Former US defense secretary condemns Trump's handling of mass protests

Former defense secretary James Mattis has broken his silence on the Trump administration, fiercely criticizing the president’s handling of the recent mass protests over George Floyd’s death.

In statement published by the Atlantic, Mattis accuses the president of dividing the country and ordering the military to violate the constitutional rights of Americans.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis writes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.”

Mattis, who resigned as defense secretary in 2018 in protest over Trump’s widely criticized decision to withdraw US forces from Syria, goes on to accuse the president of having violated the rights of Americans for a photo op in Washington DC this week.

“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution,”the statement says. “Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Obama calls on every U.S. mayor to pursue policing reforms in wake of protests

In his first live remarks on the unrest gripping dozens of U.S. cities, former U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday urged every American mayor to review and reform their police department’s use-of-force policies in consultation with their communities.

The country’s first black president also struck a note of optimism, even as he acknowledged the despair and anger powering the protests since the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, in police custody nine days ago.

“In some ways, as tragic as these last few weeks have been, as difficult and scary and uncertain as they’ve been, they’ve also been an incredible opportunity for people to be awakened to some of these underlying trends,” Obama said via livestream from his Chicago home.

“And they offer an opportunity for us to all work together to tackle them, to take them on, to change America and make it live up to its highest ideals.”

He also directly addressed young Americans of color, telling them, “I want you to know that you matter, I want you to know that your lives matter, that your dreams matter.”

Obama’s speech offered a distinct contrast in tone to the way his successor, President Donald Trump, has responded to the protests, some of which have devolved into violence. Trump has threatened to deploy the U.S. military to quell demonstrations and told governors to get “tougher.”

Obama did not mention Trump on Wednesday, though he has criticized the president’s actions more frequently in recent weeks.

Wednesday’s address was part of a discussion hosted by My Brother’s Keeper, a program Obama founded in 2014 in the wake of the police shooting death of black teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, to address deep-seated racial inequities. The panel included former Attorney General Eric Holder and other black leaders.

Obama, who saw a similar outpouring of grief and frustration while in office after a spate of police killings of unarmed black men, rejected the notion that one must choose between “voting versus protests” or “politics and participation versus civil disobedience.”

“This is not an either-or,” he said. “This is a both-and.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mi...KBN23A3FK?il=0

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post

Its true racism cannot be 100% eliminated. In a country like the United States different races are everywhere. However what can change is the methods of aggression used by the police. Currently there are multiple cases being investigated during these protests alone that involve black citizens. The higher ups are aware they must bring a change for us to prosper. Its gonna take a while for them to be implemented but whats positive is that a change is coming. Making none of these protests meaningless.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump is a racist. He is stupid and a failed businessman.
    I don't think anyone expected him to fix the situation.

However, the point is that so much looting and aggravation could have been avoided had Trump come out sooner and diffused the situation. It took him 7 days to address the nation.
    This looting and rioting has escalated over the days, and you believe looting/rioting could've been avoided had Trump spoken out earlier? Did Trump have a crystal ball or something? It's very easy to criticise retrospectively.

The irony must be lost on you, these looters and rioters don't care about the law but they will care about what Trump says? Talk to me how these rioters/protesters are breaking lockdown rules. What happened to social distancing etc? Also Trump's fault?

Has the thought also occured that the weeks in lockdown have lead to fustration and anxiety and that this looting is no longer about a man dying at the hands of the police.

You can call Trump racist, no secret given how racism is ingrained in American society, but your boy Obama did squat to tackle racism because he was too busy dropping bombs on the ME.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The POTUS doesn’t really have that much power, but he got America out of two ruinous wars, rebuilt international trust lost under Bush 43, and recovered faster from 2008 than any country.

What would you have done differently?
    Obama cannot be credited for the post 2008 recovery.

1. He installed the same cronies from the banking cartel into his administration, ex bankers, from JPM, GS, and BoA to name a few - remember it was the banks that caused the crash.

2. He signed bills that benefited the banks. That QE allowed banks to borrow money at near zero rate, only to buy Treasuries at higher yields.

3. When at the bottom of a econmic cycle, the only way is up.

4. The Federal Reserve decide the interest rates, not the US President.

The fact is post 2008, thanks to Obama's presidency, the gap between rich and poor has never been greater.

You want to know how Trump won? Obama. Thanks to Obama who created a launch pad for the rightwing all because his econmic policies failed to deliver where it mattered most - the people.

By the way, why didn't Obama shutdown Guantanamo Bay like he promised he would? Hmmmmm.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes. He deployed tanks as a scare tactic to break up the General Strike.

The usual troublemakers will be out, but there are many people who seek to protest legitimately too.
    Don't know why they are protesting in the UK, where they have been successful in silencing the police with white guilt and the fear of being called racists.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Curtis Hayes: Man behind the protest plea that moved America`

In a viral video from Charlotte, North Carolina, Curtis Hayes implored two generations of protester to "find a better way" to express their pain over police killings of African Americans.

Hayes spoke to the BBC about why he believes the next generation will have to rethink how they inspire change in the wake of George Floyd's death.

Hayes also said it's the job of white Americans to challenge each other to help society grow.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New charges have been announced against all of the sacked police officers present at the death of African American George Floyd in Minneapolis.

The charge against Derek Chauvin has been elevated to second-degree murder, court documents show.

The other three officers, previously uncharged, face counts of aiding and abetting murder.

Floyd's death has sparked huge protests across the US against racism and the police killings of black Americans.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful, but some have turned violent and curfews have been imposed in a number of cities.

Announcing the new charges, Minnesota's Attorney General Keith Ellison said that they were in the interests of justice.

Derek Chauvin had initially faced charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. These will stay on his charge sheet.

The other three sacked officers are Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao. They all face charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder, and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar said on Twitter that the latest charges were "another important step for justice".

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is increasing charges against Derek Chauvin to 2nd degree in George Floyd’s murder and also charging other 3 officers. This is another important step for justice.

Floyd family lawyer Benjamin Crump said in a statement: "This is a significant step forward on the road to justice and we are gratified that this important action was brought before George Floyd's body was laid to rest."

But he later told CNN that the family believed the charge against Derek Chauvin should be first-degree murder and that they had been told that the investigation was ongoing and the charges could change further.

At a press briefing, rights activist Rev Al Sharpton said that the Floyd case must lead to a national federal act.

He said: "If we come out of all this and do not have federal legislation where we can protect citizens from local policing... then all of this is drama to no end. Drama in the street must be geared to fundamental legal change."

What did the attorney general say?

Mr Ellison said he was under no illusion that bringing a successful prosecution against the former police officers would be difficult.

"Winning a conviction will be hard. History does show there are clear challenges," he said.

Only one officer in Minnesota has been convicted of killing a civilian while serving in the role.

Mr Ellison said George Floyd was "loved by his family, his life had value" and that "we will seek justice for you and we will find it".

He said bringing justice to society more generally would be slow and difficult work and that Americans did not have to wait for the end of the Floyd case to start that work.

"We need to rewrite the rules for a just society now," he said.

What do the charges mean?

First- and second-degree murder under Minnesota law require proof that the defendant intended to kill. First-degree in most cases requires premeditation, with second-degree more related to crimes of passion.

Why did a US city go up in flames?

A third-degree murder conviction would not require proof that the defendant wanted the victim to die, only that their actions were dangerous and were carried out without regard to human life.

A second-degree murder conviction can carry a sentence of up to 40 years, 15 longer than for third-degree.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52915019

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more of an anti-Trump crowd rather than protestors of the george floyd killing.

John 3:16

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Don't know why they are protesting in the UK, where they have been successful in silencing the police with white guilt and the fear of being called racists.
    What does ďsilencing the policeĒ mean? The police enforce the law, they donít pontificate.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Obama cannot be credited for the post 2008 recovery.

1. He installed the same cronies from the banking cartel into his administration, ex bankers, from JPM, GS, and BoA to name a few - remember it was the banks that caused the crash.

2. He signed bills that benefited the banks. That QE allowed banks to borrow money at near zero rate, only to buy Treasuries at higher yields.

3. When at the bottom of a econmic cycle, the only way is up.

4. The Federal Reserve decide the interest rates, not the US President.

The fact is post 2008, thanks to Obama's presidency, the gap between rich and poor has never been greater.

You want to know how Trump won? Obama. Thanks to Obama who created a launch pad for the rightwing all because his econmic policies failed to deliver where it mattered most - the people.

By the way, why didn't Obama shutdown Guantanamo Bay like he promised he would? Hmmmmm.
    He did shut it down, then he reopened it when he couldnít work out what to do with the prisoners.

Saying Trump is caused by Obama is too reductive. There are many factors, starting with the American culture war that began around 1990. This was stirred by decades of Fox News and right wing shocks jocks, dividing Americans. Add to this the 2008 crash and globalisation which meant that American blue collar jobs went overseas. Plus Clinton was too associated with grift, unlikable and a woman to boot, and fronting a Democrat party which had stopped listening to its supporters.

There was a feeling that the American dream had died for poorer whites and that Trump was somehow a wrecking ball that might smash the rotten edifices of government and allow the dream to flower again. By clever use of social media he was able to engage a white group who had not voted before, and dissuade some blacks from voting at all.

On top of this there has been a general collapse of intellectualism resulting in junk thinking such as moon landing hoax, flat earth, contrails and vaccine autism. This has meant a swamp in which right wing populism can grow. This general pattern is repeated in the UK and Hungary.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - The intersection where George Floyd was killed on May 25 has during the last week become a space for reflection, mourning and the honouring of the 46-year-old Black man, who died after a white officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes as he called out, "I can't breathe."

Flowers, signs, cards, candles and a mural fill the pavement turned memorial at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

In many ways, the atmosphere at the site on Wednesday felt the same as all the other days. Music filled the air. A few people danced. Small children played. But the heaviness that has been hanging around the intersection for the past week felt a bit thicker on Wednesday than it had felt before.

More than 1,000 people stood mostly silent as Floyd's son, Quincy Mason, visited the site.

"No man or woman should be without their father," Quincy Mason told the crowd.

Benjamin Crump, the prominent civil rights lawyer who is representing the family, stood by Quincy Mason's side, urging the arrests of all four officers involved in Floyd's death before Thursday, when the city is set to hold a public memorial.

"Not one minute, not two minutes, not three minutes," Crump shouted out, referencing the time Floyd's neck was pinned to the ground. By the time he reached "almost nine minutes," the crowd chanted along with him. "Eight minutes and 46 seconds George Floyd begged for air."

"We cannot have two justice systems in America - one of Black America and one for white America," Crump said.

"Change is going to come in the tragic killing of George Floyd," he added. "That change starts today."

Moments after Crump and Mason left the area, someone in the crowd yelled, "They got all four!"

News had surfaced that prosecutors decided to upgrade the charges previously announced against Derek Chauvin, the now-fired officer who knelt on Floyd's neck. They also announced charges against the three other fired officers involved.

Following the news, the heaviness of the day turned noticeably lighter, a collective sigh of relief from the crowd.

"I feel very very happy that they decided to charge them," said Williametta Jallah, who used to live in the neighbourhood.

"Justice should prevail," she said, as cheers rung out.

"I got really excited because, honestly, we never do get justice out here," Tati Ampah said. "For me, as long as they do get jail time, and as long as they do like understand that they did something wrong and that one of them could have jumped in and stopped a man from dying."

'It should have been first-degree murder'
    Chauvin, who has been in custody since Friday, had his third-degree murder charge increased to second-degree. He is also charged with second-degree manslaughter.

The three other officers - Thomas Lane, J Kueng and Tou Thao - were charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

As initial news settled in, many at the memorial on Wednesday said the upgrade to the murder charge was not enough.

"Am I happy? No" said Tiffany, who flew out to Minneapolis from New York City on Monday. She acknowledged that "progress" was being made, but said Chauvin should have been charged with first-degree murder instead. It was a call made by Floyd's family, as well.

In announcing the new charges on Wednesday, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison noted that "you have to have to have premeditation and deliberation to charge first-degree murder".

He added that "history shows that there are clear challenges here" in prosecuting police officers.

The second-degree murder charge carries a maximum 40-year sentence.

"I strongly believe that these developments are in the interest of justice for Mr Floyd, his family, our community and our state," Ellison said.

Others at the memorial site were sceptical that the charges would result in convictions.

"Just because they're charged, don't mean that they'll be found guilty, and just because they're found guilty, [it doesn't] mean they can't be found guilty of a lesser crime and given a slap on the wrist, just like other police officers do," said John Thompson.

"You gotta look at it from the eyes of a Black man," he told Al Jazeera. "It sucks. To come in contact with the same people who are supposed to serve and protect you. They got the serving part down pat. They served the s*** out of [him]."

Still, many remained hopeful.

"We got a charge; we need a conviction," the crowd yelled.

"I have hope," Jallah, the Minneapolis resident who used to live in the neighbourhood, said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...012825629.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Ex-defence chief Mattis rips Trump for dividing Americans

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis denounced Trump's heavy-handed use of military force to crack down on protests and said Trump was setting up a "false conflict" between the military and civilian society.

"I have watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled," Mattis wrote.

Mattis retired as defence secretary in December 2018 to protest Trump's Syria policy. He declined to speak out against Trump, saying he owed the nation public silence while his former boss remained in office.

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people - does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us," Mattis wrote in a statement published by The Atlantic.

Mattis said the protesters are rightly demanding that the country follow the words of "Equal Justice Under Law" that are on display at the US Supreme Court.

He took particular issue with the use of force to move back protesters so Trump could visit St John's Church the day after it was damaged by fire during protests.

"We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square," Mattis said.

==

Last edited by MenInG; 4th June 2020 at 12:31.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Autopsy report shows Floyd had tested positive for COVID-19

A full autopsy of Floyd showed that he had previously tested positive for COVID-19.

The report by Chief Medical Examiner Andrew Baker spelled out clinical details, including that Floyd had tested positive for COVID-19 on April 3 but appeared asymptomatic. The report also noted Floyd's lungs appeared healthy, but he had some narrowing of arteries in the heart.

The county's earlier summary report had listed fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use under "other significant conditions" but not under "cause of death". The full report's footnotes noted that signs of fentanyl toxicity could include "severe respiratory depression" and seizures.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looting and rioting has escalated over the days, and you believe looting/rioting could've been avoided had Trump spoken out earlier? Did Trump have a crystal ball or something? It's very easy to criticise retrospectively.

The irony must be lost on you, these looters and rioters don't care about the law but they will care about what Trump says? Talk to me how these rioters/protesters are breaking lockdown rules. What happened to social distancing etc? Also Trump's fault?

Has the thought also occured that the weeks in lockdown have lead to fustration and anxiety and that this looting is no longer about a man dying at the hands of the police.

You can call Trump racist, no secret given how racism is ingrained in American society, but your boy Obama did squat to tackle racism because he was too busy dropping bombs on the ME.
    Your silly rantings wonít change anything.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What does “silencing the police” mean? The police enforce the law, they don’t pontificate.
    They will learn to look the other way when the suspects are of a particular skin color, as they don't want to be shamed as racists. The anarchists have succeeded in UK and want to replicate it in the US. Seed doubt among the public about the cops, and make the cops worry about their reputation instead of their duties.

Black lives matter, but criminal lives should not matter.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did shut it down, then he reopened it when he couldnít work out what to do with the prisoners.

Saying Trump is caused by Obama is too reductive. There are many factors, starting with the American culture war that began around 1990. This was stirred by decades of Fox News and right wing shocks jocks, dividing Americans. Add to this the 2008 crash and globalisation which meant that American blue collar jobs went overseas. Plus Clinton was too associated with grift, unlikable and a woman to boot, and fronting a Democrat party which had stopped listening to its supporters.

There was a feeling that the American dream had died for poorer whites and that Trump was somehow a wrecking ball that might smash the rotten edifices of government and allow the dream to flower again. By clever use of social media he was able to engage a white group who had not voted before, and dissuade some blacks from voting at all.

On top of this there has been a general collapse of intellectualism resulting in junk thinking such as moon landing hoax, flat earth, contrails and vaccine autism. This has meant a swamp in which right wing populism can grow. This general pattern is repeated in the UK and Hungary.
    Obama never shut GB down. He failed.

The American dream is dead for the poor because of austerity and capitalism, not because of Trump, or any other president, or conspiracy theories, but because of the system.

Austerity breeds crime and fascism, post 2008 Obama had the opportunity to fix the system. Instead he protected the very industry that caused the crisis. Why wasn't any banker in the USA tried for their crime?

The real tradegy however here is how the media have the public - hook, line, and sinker.

Not all blacks are criminals in the same way not all police officers are racist. This sudden show of solidarity is cringeworthy . People changing the profile pics, celebrities jumping on the bandwagon, companies donating money towards racial equality is all attention seeking. None of this solidarity is going to change anything.

If people believe solidarity can change things, then where is the show of solidarity when innocent people are killed because of Western foreign policy? Do Arab lives not matter?

How about some statistics such as black on black crime out numbers white on black crime? Why does a black life not matter when a black person murders a black person?

Just like with Covid 19 the focus was on the number of deaths, and suddenly society must worry about the number of people dying, but what about the number of children who die from starvation every day for example? Why don't we hear about these numbers?

The reality is the mainstream media controls society into who society should care/think about. Most of the opinions in this thread are rehashed/regurgitated soundbites/sensationist news from the mainstream media. Tomorrow there will be another news cycle and the same posters will repeat the same headline etc.

The end result, any person who questions the status quo or has formed an opinion through sheer thought of their own (intellectualism), is labelled everything from racist to conspiracy theorist to a criminal.

Forget about the American dream, freedom of thought is dead.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Obama never shut GB down. He failed.

The American dream is dead for the poor because of austerity and capitalism, not because of Trump, or any other president, or conspiracy theories, but because of the system.

Austerity breeds crime and fascism, post 2008 Obama had the opportunity to fix the system. Instead he protected the very industry that caused the crisis. Why wasn't any banker in the USA tried for their crime?

The real tradegy however here is how the media have the public - hook, line, and sinker.

Not all blacks are criminals in the same way not all police officers are racist. This sudden show of solidarity is cringeworthy . People changing the profile pics, celebrities jumping on the bandwagon, companies donating money towards racial equality is all attention seeking. None of this solidarity is going to change anything.

If people believe solidarity can change things, then where is the show of solidarity when innocent people are killed because of Western foreign policy? Do Arab lives not matter?

How about some statistics such as black on black crime out numbers white on black crime? Why does a black life not matter when a black person murders a black person?

Just like with Covid 19 the focus was on the number of deaths, and suddenly society must worry about the number of people dying, but what about the number of children who die from starvation every day for example? Why don't we hear about these numbers?

The reality is the mainstream media controls society into who society should care/think about. Most of the opinions in this thread are rehashed/regurgitated soundbites/sensationist news from the mainstream media. Tomorrow there will be another news cycle and the same posters will repeat the same headline etc.

The end result, any person who questions the status quo or has formed an opinion through sheer thought of their own (intellectualism), is labelled everything from racist to conspiracy theorist to a criminal.

Forget about the American dream, freedom of thought is dead.
    Freedom of thought is alive - but sadly many lack the training to think critically.

This post is like KKWC’s - because some bad things are ignored, any attempt to fix a bad thing is futile and wrong and cringeworthy. I reject the cynicism and despair behind such thinking.

As a matter of record, a million people protested against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Their protest was not heard by government, but they tried and the anti-war narrative gains traction.

The solidarity is heartwarming to me, because it shows that there are decent people left who are open-hearted and want a better world for their fellow human beings. And it does change things. Women got the vote through solidarity. Workers got employment rights through solidarity. Anti racism laws were enacted, because of solidarity.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you’re black you won’t really know how they feel or what they have to go through.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arrests at widespread US protests hit 10,000

More than 10,000 people have been arrested in protests across the US, according to an Associated Press tally of known arrests.

In a nearly 24-hour period from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon, 41 of the 52 people cited with protest-related arrests had Minnesota driver's licenses, according to the Hennepin County sheriff.

In the nation's capital, 86 percent of the more than 400 people arrested as of Wednesday afternoon were from Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia.

In Los Angeles, an online fundraising campaign has gathered $2 million so far to help more than 3,000 people arrested in demonstrations since Floyd died on May 25 in Minneapolis.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Deputy mayor in Maine charged in case of racist Floyd post

The deputy mayor of a Maine city has resigned and was charged with filing a false report after he said someone hacked his social media account to make racist statements about the George Floyd killing.

Brewer police said Thomas Morelli was charged in relation to the incident, the Bangor Daily News reported on Wednesday.

Morelli issued a statement in which he said he is "ashamed of my comments and behavior" and acknowledged his participation in "Facebook trolling."

Morelli had told police on Monday that someone had gained access to his Facebook account to post racist comments about Floyd.

An investigation determined that Morelli made the comments, police said.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Officer stabbed, 2 shot in Brooklyn

A confrontation in Brooklyn left one police officer stabbed in the neck, two officers with gunshot wounds to their hands and another man shot by police, the New York Police Department said.

The officers were taken to a hospital with wounds that were not expected to be life-threatening, the department said. The condition of the man shot by police was not immediately released.

The bloodshed happened just before midnight in the hours after an 8 pm (local time) curfew that was intended to quell unrest over the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

Details on how it unfolded weren't immediately available.

A neighborhood resident, though, said there was no protest in the area at the time of the shooting, and it wasn't clear if there was any connection to the unrest.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freedom of thought is alive - but sadly many lack the training to think critically.

This post is like KKWC’s - because some bad things are ignored, any attempt to fix a bad thing is futile and wrong and cringeworthy. I reject the cynicism and despair behind such thinking.

As a matter of record, a million people protested against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Their protest was not heard by government, but they tried and the anti-war narrative gains traction.

The solidarity is heartwarming to me, because it shows that there are decent people left who are open-hearted and want a better world for their fellow human beings. And it does change things. Women got the vote through solidarity. Workers got employment rights through solidarity. Anti racism laws were enacted, because of solidarity.
    Yet solidarity never stopped war or austerity or racsim has it? Fact is people are influenced by the media, and it not you who decide who you show solidarity towards, it's the news.

Still, I was hoping you would address the point of black on black crime. Where's the solidarity or Black lives matter slogans when a black murders a black?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Some white folks are taking the solidarity to extreme levels. Saw a video of white men kneeling in front of black people and asking for forgiveness. If they were racists and seeking forgiveness, it is fine, but to do that just because they feel guilty for being white is wrong. Whites should be proud of their contribution and leadership to the world, and nothing wrong with being proud of their past.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your silly rantings wonít change anything.
    So you have no response Typical lefty exposed. Come back when you have an opinion of your own instead of spewing kak from headlines.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some white folks are taking the solidarity to extreme levels. Saw a video of white men kneeling in front of black people and asking for forgiveness. If they were racists and seeking forgiveness, it is fine, but to do that just because they feel guilty for being white is wrong. Whites should be proud of their contribution and leadership to the world, and nothing wrong with being proud of their past.
    This is very true. UK must be the only country in the world where its citizens cannot wave the Union Jack without critisim due to the stigma attached with the British Empire. Nationalism is attacked in the UK by the left because the left feel they are complicit in the actions of the Empire.

The left are crux of the problem in society.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There’s everything wrong with pride in white supremacy, being proud of exterminations, proud of slavery, proud of mismanaged famines.

The thing to do is not feel shame but be aware.

Taking the knee is just that - de-escalation, like the police officers who took the knee to the protestors. It says we respect your point, we respect your righteous anger, we are disgusted by the action of those officers in Minneapolis, we denounce them. If the de-escalation fails, they get off their knees and take action to enforce peace.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is very true. UK must be the only country in the world where its citizens cannot wave the Union Jack without critisim due to the stigma attached with the British Empire. Nationalism is attacked in the UK by the left because the left feel they are complicit in the actions of the Empire.

The left are crux of the problem in society.
    The left is a reaction to inequality.

Fascists hijacked my flag. I took to wearing a Union Flag pin in my last years in London, as did my wife, reclaiming it from the fascists. Nobody challenged me, white and six foot two, but plenty challenged her.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yet solidarity never stopped war or austerity or racsim has it? Fact is people are influenced by the media, and it not you who decide who you show solidarity towards, it's the news.

Still, I was hoping you would address the point of black on black crime. Where's the solidarity or Black lives matter slogans when a black murders a black?
    A different issue. You refer to violent crime within the black community. I am addressing structural racism.

And yes, solidarity went a long way to pushing racism to the margins - such as the Bristol Bus Boycott, which influenced the Race Relations Acts if the 1979s.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A different issue. You refer to violent crime within the black community. I am addressing structural racism.

And yes, solidarity went a long way to pushing racism to the margins - such as the Bristol Bus Boycott, which influenced the Race Relations Acts if the 1979s.
    No mate it's not a different issue. A black life matters, racism or not. Or are you suggesting black lives only matter when racism is involved?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The first of three memorial services for George Floyd will be held today in Minneapolis, with all of the police officers involved in his death now in custody and facing charges,

Renowned civil rights leader Rev. Al Sharpton and the Floyd family attorney Benjamin Crump will be among the speakers at the event today.

Floyd’s body will then go to Raeford in North Carolina, where he was born, for a two-hour public viewing and private service for the family on Saturday.

Finally, a public viewing will be held Monday in Houston, where he was raised and lived most of his life. A 500-person service on Tuesday will take place at The Fountain of Praise church and will include addresses from Sharpton, Crump, and the Rev. Remus E. Wright. There will be a private burial.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No mate it's not a different issue. A black life matters, racism or not. Or are you suggesting black lives only matter when racism is involved?
    You met my family, what do you think?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Minnesota AG "confident" of convictions for ex-officers
    Minnesota attorney general Keith Ellison spoke out on ABC news this morning to say he is confident of achieving convictions in the cases of the police officers charged in the homicide of George Floyd on May 25.

He took over the case at the weekend and charged the three former officers yesterday who were with former officer Derek Chauvin as they tried to arrest Floyd and he ended up dead after Chauvin kneeled on his neck. The three others have been charged with aiding and abetting murder by Chauvin.

Traditionally, criminal cases against police officers for deaths committed in the course of their duty are very hard to prosecute and for the prosecutor to win. Juries tend to believe officers and police have wide legal immunity.

Proving aiding and abetting will be tough, but Ellison said: “They helped, you can look at the tapes.” He said the other three can be seen acting “in support of what Chauvin was doing , and what was not done...despite the pleas and cries [from Floyd] they did not help.” He said the officers are culpable and he was confident of conviction.

“This is a social change moment,” he said, to address police brutality and racism and, “beyond policing, the inadequate housing, racist attitudes, poverty.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Officers to appear in court on day of first Floyd memorial

Fired Minneapolis police officers Alexander Kueng, 26, Thomas Lane, 37, and Tou Thao, 34, are due to appear in court this afternoon to face charges filed yesterday of aiding and abetting former officer Derek Chauvin in the murder of George Floyd on May 25.

The men are at the Hennepin County Jail. Derek Chauvin was charged yesterday with second degree murder after Minnesota attorney general Keith Ellison took over the case, an upgrade of the third degree murder charge brought last week by the Hennepin County prosecutor.

Chauvin is detained in state prison.

Just before the scheduled court appearance today, a memorial service will begin in Minneapolis for George Floyd. The four officers were fired on May 26, the day after Chauvin kneeled on 46-year-old Floyd’s neck as he was pinned to the street, for almost nine minutes. The death has been ruled a homicide by two autopsies, one official, one private carried out at the request of Floyd’s family.

Protests continue across the country, with many demonstrators echoing some of Floyd’s dying words, “I can’t breathe” and staging die-ins for eight minutes 46 seconds, the length of time Chauvin, who is white, kneeled on the African-American man’s neck during an arrest.

Kueng was seen on video taken by a witness pressing on Floyd’s back, while Lane pinned his legs. Thao stood alongside and warned bystanders against intervening.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You met my family, what do you think?
    I know which is why I asked. You clearly believe black lives matter regardless of situation or race involved yet say you are addressing only a single strata of the issue.

Yet, we only hear 'Black lives matter' when there is a racist attack.

Hence why all the solidarity of late is not only false but means nothing. Profile and pictures changed to black means nothing. Black lives matter slogans mean nothing. Why? Selective and subjective application.

You know which black lives really matter? The millions who are dying of starvation in Africa. I dont seen any solidarity for them.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There’s everything wrong with pride in white supremacy, being proud of exterminations, proud of slavery, proud of mismanaged famines.

The thing to do is not feel shame but be aware.

Taking the knee is just that - de-escalation, like the police officers who took the knee to the protestors. It says we respect your point, we respect your righteous anger, we are disgusted by the action of those officers in Minneapolis, we denounce them. If the de-escalation fails, they get off their knees and take action to enforce peace.
    Pride in the contribution of the white people is not the same as white supremacy. Are you even proud to be a Britisher? If yes, does it mean you believe in British supremacy?

And when are you going to kneel before the indian and pakistani posters if you so much believe in white guilt? Amazing how much some people have been brainwashed by the lefties to state hating their own identity and blackwashing their achievements.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I know which is why I asked. You clearly believe black lives matter regardless of situation or race involved yet say you are addressing only a single strata of the issue.

Yet, we only hear 'Black lives matter' when there is a racist attack.

Hence why all the solidarity of late is not only false but means nothing. Profile and pictures changed to black means nothing. Black lives matter slogans mean nothing. Why? Selective and subjective application.

You know which black lives really matter? The millions who are dying of starvation in Africa. I dont seen any solidarity for them.
    That's because they are foreigners, obviously they don't count as much.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned