Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Babar Azam is not there yet, where I want to see him" : Mohammad Hafeez

Babar Azam has been one of the most exciting batting talent to have come out of Pakistan over the past decade. His ability to score runs in all formats and on all surfaces have seen him to rise to the captaincy of the team in limited overs cricket in a short span of time.

His performances have drawn praise from his colleagues as well as past greats and even comparison with Indian batting great Virat Kohli. Veteran Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez, who has seen Azam’s rise from close quarters, feels the newly appointed limited overs captain is yet to reach his full potential.

“He [Babar] is a brilliant performer for Pakistan. In his five-year career for Pakistan so far, he has played some amazing cricket. However, he is yet to reach his full potential, considering his talent,” said Hafeez.

“He is like my younger brother and I tell him to his face that a talent like him is not there yet where I want to see him. He is trying to push those barriers and I am confident that he will serve Pakistan for a long time,” Hafeez said on a Youtube show Cricast.

Hafeez further said that captaincy will serve the youngster well as success as a captain will make him more confident.

“I haven’t seen him a lot as a captain. I played only two matches under his captaincy. I can’t evaluate his captaincy until I see his personal tactics as a captain in different match situations.

“I have best wishes for him that he leads Pakistan for a long period of time and joins the list of successful Pakistan captains. It will be beneficial for him as well as Pakistan because when our top-level performer will start winning as a captain, his confidence will be even higher,” Hafeez added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...ZKv3JRlCN.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I don’t know why but I have a soft corner for Hafeez.

He is such an underachiever of the game. Should’ve batted at #6 his whole career long instead being a top-order bat.

Will never forget how almost all the left-handed batsmen get out to his off-spin.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is not blessed in all facets, but he will get there soon

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post

He is such an underachiever of the game. Should’ve batted at #6 his whole career long instead being a top-order bat.

Will never forget how almost all the left-handed batsmen get out to his off-spin.
    I would have a softer spot for him if it wasnt for the fact that he himself refused to play lower down and insisted on being an opener. He never had an insight into his own strengths and weaknesses. Thats how he thinks, that he is "blessed in all facets". Sadly most of our players lack that insight eg look at Fakhar: "I have no issues with my technique" - when the whole world can see that he definitely does.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacattakk View Post
    I would have a softer spot for him if it wasnt for the fact that he himself refused to play lower down and insisted on being an opener. He never had an insight into his own strengths and weaknesses. Thats how he thinks, that he is "blessed in all facets". Sadly most of our players lack that insight eg look at Fakhar: "I have no issues with my technique" - when the whole world can see that he definitely does.
    The denial mentality has costed us a lot.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was good in 2011 to 2014 period for us with his all round skills. Played big role in our wins in Asia Cup and India. However after 2015 WC we should have moved on. Arthur tried but he still got back. Can't believe it will be 2021 and we are still talking of moving on from Hafeez

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If something like this was said by the Miandads, the Gavaskars, the Pontings, the Tendulkars, I would understand. But Hafeez? Seriously?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    If something like this was said by the Miandads, the Gavaskars, the Pontings, the Tendulkars, I would understand. But Hafeez? Seriously?
    He’s encouraging Babar to grow and not be complacent. He wants Babar to be an ATG and not a modern great.

I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see Hafeez using language which emphasises his own apparent superiority over Babar, referring to him as 'younger brother' and 'not meeting my expectations yet'.

Hafeez is one the biggest proponents of the rotten senior culture in Pakistan which makes him feel he deserves respect without needing to earn it.

The fact is that Babar is a way better cricketer than Hafeez and there is no comparison in terms of ability nor in terms of achieving their potential.

Hafeez probably has very little good advice to give to a world class player like Babar but may feel he has the right to simply because he is a "senior player". The negative consequences of that could be quite frightening in all honesty.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Babar has done more and performed better in his short career so far then hafeez did in his mediocre long career. Babar doesnt need a role model like hafeez.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree. His perfect spot was #6 and he refused to bat at that position as centuries are harder to make. As an opener he could atleast make centuries and that was selfish by him. At #6 his average would've been far higher and he would've had way more 50s than he has now. Would've been a true match winner. A lot cause now if he still doesn't bat at that position.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He will get better no doubt about it. His work ethic is brilliant, skill levels are superb and his hunger to improve is there.

Only concern is if captaincy affects his form.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Look at the message, not the messenger.

Hafeez is correct.

Babar didn't score any tons on his tours of SA or ENG.

He also needs to improve strike rate.

Babar can be a 50+ average player in all 3 formats.

Can score 50 hundreds for Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think Hafeez want to see Babar Azam out of the team.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you met your own expectations Mr. Professor?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    Have you met your own expectations Mr. Professor?
    What expectations lol

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    He’s encouraging Babar to grow and not be complacent. He wants Babar to be an ATG and not a modern great.

I don’t see anything wrong with that.
    I know his intentions arent bad, its just that when an average international cricketer and a current team mate makes a comment like that for a future great, it looks odd. Atleast i would feel strange. But may be thats just me.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know his intentions arent bad, its just that when an average international cricketer and a current team mate makes a comment like that for a future great, it looks odd. Atleast i would feel strange. But may be thats just me.
    Exactly, it looks odd and I’m glad you said first and not me because it ends up looking like I’ve something personal against Hafeez.

It’s one thing if Sir Gary Sobers makes these same comments about a young Viv Richards, or Sir Viv Richards says to Lara that you haven’t yet reached where I expect you to. Or a legend like Sunil Gavaskar says that to a young Sachin, or many years later Tendulkar himself makes these comments about Kohli, you haven’t reached where I expect you too, then it kind of sounds cool as the words are coming from someone who has been there and done it at the highest level.

Even in Pakistan cricket if Javed Miandad or Inzamam-ul-Haq said the same, it actually means something.

But when a mediocre failed batsman like a Saleem Elahi or Mohammed Hafeez say the same thing about far superior players that they are not even comparable to themselves, it looks odd.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar should learn from the Professor on how to get big hundreds

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe he was talking about being blessed in three facets like he is.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Babar should gift the number 3 position back to Hafeez so he can show young Baba how to play at that position with success spanning two decades.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I don't see anything wrong with what Hafeez said, it's a shame Hafeez wasn't self critical because he would have made a decent 5/6 in the test team. But Hafeezs time has gone and with T20 WC likely to be postponed, Hafeez and Malik should have played their last games for PK.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Look at the message, not the messenger.

Hafeez is correct.

Babar didn't score any tons on his tours of SA or ENG.

He also needs to improve strike rate.

Babar can be a 50+ average player in all 3 formats.

Can score 50 hundreds for Pakistan.
    Babar only played one innings which was a 68* before he got injured in the last Test Series vs England.

He also scored a ton in last year's ODI series so you are wrong that he scored no tons.

You are correct about SA - his conversion rate was a bit disappointing in ODI's. But in Tests the problem was that he batted at 5/6 instead of 4. Now that he is batting at 4, i think he will score more tons. He is already producing as evidenced by his performances in recent series, albeit against weaker oppositions for the most part.

The next step will be to produce against the bigger teams consistently and score big hundreds (something he is failing to do atm)
    Last edited by The Viper; 4th June 2020 at 04:38.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We don’t really have any non-average international cricketers. In your model the team would be full of people who are average and aren’t telling Babar he needs to avoid becoming complacent

I am glad Hafeez has told him these things to his face. Babar needs to stay humble and aim to be the best ever, not just the best right now

Who cares what looks odd and what doesn’t?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He will get better no doubt about it. His work ethic is brilliant, skill levels are superb and his hunger to improve is there.

Only concern is if captaincy affects his form.
    I have a feeling his batting will thrive with captaincy, i think hes matured in last 18 months in longer version of the game, which was lacking before.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can’t wait for Professor Hafeez to become the coach of Pakistan.

“You are not where I want to see you”.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Can’t wait for Professor Hafeez to become the coach of Pakistan.

“You are not where I want to see you”.
    Agree , you just missed out the word ‘driver’ in between ‘coach’ and ‘of’.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    To be honest Hafeez always set very high standards for himself and it is understandable to see him feel the same way for young Bobby.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    To be honest Hafeez always set very high standards for himself and it is understandable to see him feel the same way for young Bobby.
    High standards in chucking?
    Or
    High standards in being a total bunny in Sena?

Or both 🤔

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    High standards in chucking?
    Or
    High standards in being a total bunny in Sena?

Or both 🤔
    He didn’t make it into international cricket and decided to start chucking all of a sudden. Why was he allowed to get away with it for 10-12 years into his career? Same as many others who were banned at international level?

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Babar has done more and performed better in his short career so far then hafeez did in his mediocre long career. Babar doesnt need a role model like hafeez.
    What a dumb comment. He’s encouraging him to push his boundaries and achieve more. Don’t be satisfied with what he’s achieved and he’s got a way to go. I think most Pakistani fans will agree Babar is a great talent but I don’t think we have seen the best of him just yet. He needs to keep pushing and become an ATG as he has the potential.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    Exactly, it looks odd and I’m glad you said first and not me because it ends up looking like I’ve something personal against Hafeez.

It’s one thing if Sir Gary Sobers makes these same comments about a young Viv Richards, or Sir Viv Richards says to Lara that you haven’t yet reached where I expect you to. Or a legend like Sunil Gavaskar says that to a young Sachin, or many years later Tendulkar himself makes these comments about Kohli, you haven’t reached where I expect you too, then it kind of sounds cool as the words are coming from someone who has been there and done it at the highest level.

Even in Pakistan cricket if Javed Miandad or Inzamam-ul-Haq said the same, it actually means something.

But when a mediocre failed batsman like a Saleem Elahi or Mohammed Hafeez say the same thing about far superior players that they are not even comparable to themselves, it looks odd.
    Agreed and again its just the way Hafeez said it sounds odd. For example he could have said something like Babar can reach better heights or he needs to remain focussed or something in those lines. But to say ‘you havent reached the level where i want you to be’ for a current team mate is strange. Again if Hafeez had retired from international cricket it still wouldnt have sounded so odd.

I guess we already have clowns like Tanvir Ahmed being cricket pundits on TV so Hafeez would just be an upgrade to those pandits once he retires (God knows when).
    Last edited by gazza619; 5th June 2020 at 13:56.