Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever been harassed by the Police?

I have never been harassed by any cop. I have always had great interactions with cops. I got stopped 3-4 times but I cooperated every time and they let me go.

I think key is to be friendly and reasonable.

Have you ever been harassed by a cop?

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe black lives matter but I also believe blue lives matter.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 3rd June 2020 at 09:34.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I believe black lives matter but I also believe blue lives matter.
    that's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not personally except on maybe one occasion. Don't base the severity of anti-black racism with your pleasant experience as a Desi immigrant in Toronto, Canada.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Not personally except on maybe one occasion. Don't base the severity of anti-black racism with your pleasant experience as a Desi immigrant in Toronto, Canada.
    I have been to Maryland, Virginia, DC, and other parts of Canada also. Never faced any issue.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's the dumbest thing I've heard.
    Why? Are you saying all cops are bad?

There are many desi people and black people who are also cops.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are people trying so hard to build false moral equivalents?

You seem to be missing the point that the movement is to highlight the clear difference in how black people are treated when the police confront them.

Just because you have no regard for whether an officer may have broken the law and harassed you, doesn't mean others should put up with it like lambs until they get a bullet in them out of boredom.

Your anecdote is irrelevant in the scope of all the evidence highlighting a legitimate problem

Nobody wants police to be killed. Nobody wants anyone else to be killed. That's why BLM is being highlighted. So their lives are considered as sacred as anyone elses.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaribo View Post

You seem to be missing the point that the movement is to highlight the clear difference in how black people are treated when the police confront them.

Just because you have no regard for whether an officer may have broken the law and harassed you, doesn't mean others should put up with it like lambs until they get a bullet in them out of boredom.

Your anecdote is irrelevant in the scope of all the evidence highlighting a legitimate problem

Nobody wants police to be killed. Nobody wants anyone else to be killed. That's why BLM is being highlighted. So their lives are considered as sacred as anyone elses.
    I believe there is racism against black people and we need to address it. Also, I was not defending that particular police officer. All I was saying was we shouldn't generalize all cops. Not all cops are bad.

Furthermore, I believe protesting during COVID-19 is insane.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to Maryland, Virginia, DC, and other parts of Canada also. Never faced any issue.
    Yes thank you for your research, you just debunked centuries of racism and racial profiling and the shared experiences of millions of Black Americans.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaribo View Post

Desis in general are meek and not confrontational even if a police officer is trampling in their rights anyway

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Desis in general are meek and not confrontational even if a police officer is trampling in their rights anyway
    Why would I confront? They ask some questions and I answer. We then part ways.

Why is there a need for confrontation? I believe we all should have better things to do.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 3rd June 2020 at 10:15.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I was saying was we shouldn't generalize all cops. Not all cops are bad.
    I believe people know all cops are not bad. Which is why you see some protesters and cops doing protests together. The actual problem is not all cops are trained well enough to be cops. It seems they are quick to hit the panic button when they see a black man. Hence why those innocents lose there lives. These protests are for changing the system of how cops are recruited and trained so they serve the nation better.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    I believe people know all cops are not bad. Which is why you see some protesters and cops doing protests together. The actual problem is not all cops are trained well enough to be cops. It seems they are quick to hit the panic button when they see a black man. Hence why those innocents lose there lives. These protests are for changing the system of how cops are recruited and trained so they serve the nation better.
    Makes sense.

As long as they do it peacefully and without blocking traffic and stuffs, I am fine with it.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    In the US, no. In Pakistan, by the notorious Punjab "Puls," quite a few times.

I could relate several stories about the conduct of our chillar/thulla friends, but this thread being about US cops, I'll leave those for another day.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desis look totally different from Black people, cops generally targetted African-Americans. They can tell by our face, head shape, body structure and gait what our race is let alone skin color so we're a little privileged in this department however we face the same racism at airports instead.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have never been pulled over by a cop but my family members have been many times, and from what i can remember, everytime they were let go with just a warning.

It most likely depends on the state you live in and your offense.

While this may not be true for all states, there is clear evidence that suggests cops are overly aggressive towards black people even when there is absolutely no need for it, like in George Floyd's case.

Thus, these protests are necessary and seem to be the only way to deal with this issue. However, people will have to wait for Trump to leave before things can change.

Trump will show more aggression and he will be supported by some, as protests turn into riots. Actions will rightly be taken against vandalizers and looters. In this chaos, some peaceful protesters are also met with aggression from cops, which should not be the case.

Of course these protests and riots had to happen amidst a pandemic.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Desis look totally different from Black people, cops generally targetted African-Americans. They can tell by our face, head shape, body structure and gait what our race is let alone skin color so we're a little privileged in this department however we face the same racism at airports instead.
    No. I feel when someone in a power of authority is rude or aggressive towards desis, as a group we just accept and move on to not create a scene. An African American doesnít do same

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I feel when someone in a power of authority is rude or aggressive towards desis, as a group we just accept and move on to not create a scene. An African American doesn’t do same
    True, in America we do get pushed around but it's simply strength in numbers, they don't do the same to us where there's a lot of us such as in Canada and the UK.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think desi folks are privileged. We are also minorities just like blacks. But, we get treated better because we generally don't make things difficult.

You are unlikely to see brown people protesting over airport treatments. These protests are pointless and generally achieve nothing.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I feel when someone in a power of authority is rude or aggressive towards desis, as a group we just accept and move on to not create a scene. An African American doesn’t do same
    Yes and that's the most logical thing to do.

If there is an issue, we should complain using proper channels (instead of causing a big drama).

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hardly interacted with policemen in my adult life except a couple of times when they wanted to check my driving license and pollution certificate, I had all the papers and everything transpired smoothly. Once when I had to get my passport, the identification process in a local police station, consumed half the day but nothing untoward.

I was too young when it happened to remember the details, 4 years old at that time but my parents always tell me this. Once while travelling with the family I got lost outside Chennai Central railway station, my grandfather who was responsible for me holding my hands somehow lost me in a crowd, my parents and grandpa suffered nervous breakdown for those couple of hours. Turns out that some policemen had spotted me, kept me calm/happy and located my family. Even my close relatives have had positive experience with the cops, hope it stays that way.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 3rd June 2020 at 11:33.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes
    In the states.
    At a gas station in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

All I was doing was asking for directions and the cops asked me a hundred questions before letting me go.
    I felt violated and yet lucky I wasn’t hauled to the station.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I have hardly interacted with policemen in my adult life except a couple of times when they wanted to check my driving license and pollution certificate, I had all the papers and everything transpired smoothly. Once when I had to get my passport, the identification process in a local police station, consumed half the day but nothing untoward.

I was too young when it happened to remember the details, 4 years old at that time but my parents always tell me this. Once while travelling with the family I got lost outside Chennai Central railway station, my grandfather who was responsible for me holding my hands somehow lost me in a crowd, my parents and grandpa suffered nervous breakdown for those couple of hours. Turns out that some policemen had spotted me, kept me calm/happy and located my family. Even my close relatives have had positive experience with the cops, hope it stays that way.
    Tamil Nadu police cadre is one of the best. Rated highly by IPS officers across the board.

In general the police do a thankless job. Protecting an ungrateful public, facing political interference and hounded by human right activists, and a media which only highlights the transgressions and ignorants who compare the police with the army, even when more cops die in the line of duty and don't enjoy the immunity or the relaxed daily routine which the army does.

I always give a salute to cops whenever I see them.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The old "it's never happened to me so the problem doesn't exist" argument.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donít want to jinx it lol but in the US I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with the police. I have had a couple of speeding tickets and the cops were very professional and nice even though it was clearly my fault. In fact I was given the benefit of the doubt and let go with no ticket on 1 occasion too.

In India well the last thing you want to do is rub the cops the wrong way so apart from 1 odd traffic violation where I had to pay a couple of 100s off the books, donít think I have had any good or bad experiences. In fact I would say more good than bad, as one of my family members had a major burglary at their home and the cops solved it in 1 day because apparently they have a list of people off the top of their head who could be involved in most cases.

I guess they have to be a bit ruthless because while the cops have outdated rusty equipment,most times the bad guys have even more sophisticated weapons. Also cops have to adhere to all these rules while the criminal can do whatever he wants so the stakes are not in their favor. Not justifying such behavior that happened now though but we have to empathize with their nature of work too.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend in a small town suburb of NYC in Westchester area if someone's familiar it's pretty liberal

My friend was driving cops stopped him he was young like me at the time they asked to check out his car cause of suspicion he hesitated like he should so they got agitated called 5 to 6 cars to handle a frickin a teenager got him cuffed up and all searched his car "found" about an ounce of marijuana know this guy was my best friend in high school all my weekends were spent in his house and he was sure as hell not smoking grass hell dude didn't even touched alcohol with his parents being full blown alcoholic so the cleanest dude around
    So I am pretty sure the drugs were planted by the cops

Know my experience I'll share after a while need to do something asap

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The old "it's never happened to me so the problem doesn't exist" argument.
    or "it has happened to some so cops in general must be racists" argument.