Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Was Wasim Akram Pakistan's greatest bowler?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, his achievements for Pakistan mark him for greatness

19 79.17%
  • No, he was a good bowler but others were better

5 20.83%
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Was Wasim Akram Pakistan's greatest bowler?

Happy birthday to a bowler who is considered a left-arm legend - but would it be too much of a stretch to call him Pakistan's greatest bowler?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Test and ODI's combined probably, he is one of the greatest ODI bowlers.

Test's purely Imran for me, he has a better record and peak than Wasim who was also a great bowler

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah, not for me. Underachieved at test level. I'd go for Imran as our best of all-time.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think the sheer number of wickets across both ODI's and Tests makes him just pip IK for me.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran was a better test bowler so he takes it for me. Wasim and Waqar are 2a and 2b.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No, Imran was.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Imran was a better test bowler. For all his talent WA didnt hit the heights he could have.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is talent with the ball and then there is winning matches.

Imran and Wasim were monstrous in both.

Imran better in tests, Wasim in ODIs.

Overall, having seen both in action, I will take Imran easily - only because tests are just that much more important.

Imran carried the bowling on his own for most of his career. He would put in match winning spell after spell even when opposition knew he was the only real threat they had to see through.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Injuries hampered his career to an extent. He suffered with a long-term groin injury which meant he had to miss matches.

Best? Probably Imran Khan.

But no doubt Wasim is an all-time great.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    761 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim is such an underachiever!

But what a bowler he was... we will never see such a pacer again in the history of cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Waqar was a better one day bowler
    Stats show

Waqar has more 5 wicket halls then wasim in odi and a better strike rate

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Most naturally gifted without a doubt.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Diabetes had affected Wasim in his last 5-6 years of his career. He also retired from test matches by 2001, had he played in his last 2 years, he would probably have had 450 plus test wickets.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, for me he is the best ever fast bowler Pakistan has produced.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiqbal View Post
    I think Waqar was a better one day bowler
    Stats show

Waqar has more 5 wicket halls then wasim in odi and a better strike rate
    Stats may say that and at start of Waqars career he was but WA was much better for most of the careers together

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Diabetes had affected Wasim in his last 5-6 years of his career. He also retired from test matches by 2001, had he played in his last 2 years, he would probably have had 450 plus test wickets.
    If I look back at his career, he was at his peak around 89-92. For most of his career he was good but never dominated like he should have. For me, he underachieved relative to the talent he had.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The allegations have tarnished his image for many, but I will always remember him as a magician with the ball, a smart bowler, highly-skilled and a match-winner.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    If I look back at his career, he was at his peak around 89-92. For most of his career he was good but never dominated like he should have. For me, he underachieved relative to the talent he had.
    One could say the same for Waqar. Waqar had a blitztrek start to his career and had 180 test wickets by 1994. To pick up only 193 test wickets in your final 9 years is very mediocre in comparison

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nasser Hussain, just yesterday:

"I would have with Malcolm Marshall, I would have Wasim Akram…[they] would be in my list of the three greatest ever fast bowlers."

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    One could say the same for Waqar. Waqar had a blitztrek start to his career and had 180 test wickets by 1994. To pick up only 193 test wickets in your final 9 years is very mediocre in comparison
    True, Waqar reached his peak before the WC in 92. He never looked the same, even though he had his moments.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Nasser Hussain, just yesterday:

"I would have with Malcolm Marshall, I would have Wasim Akram…[they] would be in my list of the three greatest ever fast bowlers."
    From his era

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The allegations have tarnished his image for many, but I will always remember him as a magician with the ball, a smart bowler, highly-skilled and a match-winner.
    I am desperate for the allegations not to be true but the reality is that only Allah knows. What I do know is that I saw most of games in the 90s and I never had a feeling that he was in any way under performing or if he was, he was bloody good at disguising it.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests
    1-Imran 2-Waqar 3-Wsim

ODIs
    1-Wasim 2-Waqar 3-Imran.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram is the best bowler Pakistan have produced without a doubt.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imran in tests but Pakistan took ODI cricket seriously since 80s and Wasim was the best ODI fast bowler by a stretch for Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Tests
    1-Imran 2-Waqar 3-Wsim

ODIs
    1-Wasim 2-Waqar 3-Imran.
    was imran khan better odi bowler than shoaib akhtar?

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The allegations plus the way he has started to speak unprofessionally like some of the other ex Pakistani cricketers.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he was, ODIs became big during his career and a lot of his energy got diverted to that format which must have taken a toll on his test career. Similar to what happened to Sachin, if these 2 had focussed mainly on test cricket it would have shown, their capabilities are beyond doubt. Look at peer review, so many ATGs rate Akram as the best, in almost all World Test XIs he is one of the 3 or 4 quicks. In ODIs he is usually the number one pick, look at his WC record as well.

Also specifically talking about Akram, tampering became a big issue in the early 90s and more camera footage, official monitoring would have meant he would have maintained the ball much better. This is something I always hold against the earlier generation quicks, when there were few cameras they could get away with doing naughty things to the cherry. For instance John Lever wouldn't have got away with Vaselinegate in today's era.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowlers with Most Wickets Dismissed for Duck in ODI

Akram - 110
    Vaas - 76
    Waqar - 72
    McGrath - 71
    Lee - 70
    Pollock - 68

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    From his era
    If he said ‘greatest ever’ then by definition not limited to his era.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan got injured far more than Wasim. Oftentimes he didn't even play home tests because of the hot weather. Wasim achieved much more than Imran as a bowler and is easily one of the most naturally gifted bowlers to ever play the game.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Imran was better in Tests but combining both formats, Wasim edges it.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Imran was the better Test bowler, but Wasim takes it in ODIs.

People rave about Waqar's peak but Imran's bowling peak in Tests is even better but somehow doesn't receive the same recognition. If we take Waqar's peak to be from his debut till before the 92 World Cup as commonly considered - he took 71 wickets from 14 Tests at an average of 19.02.

Imran's peak from 1982 until his first "retirement" after the 1987 World Cup saw him take 167 wickets from 34 Tests at an average of 16.89.

He was as much of a matchwinner as the 2 Ws were in their pomp. There are so many examples like the 1977 Sydney Test where Imran took 12 wickets, taking 40 wickets in 1982/83 series vs India on lifeless pitches including 8-60 in the Karachi Test, taking 18 wickets vs West Indies in the 1986 series helping us draw 1-1 against the greatest side of the era and the 1987 Headingley Test where he took 10 wickets in the match to name a few. During that period he had the shin splints issue, plus was still batting (at an average close to 50) and captaining !

Plus when you compare Imran and Wasim's overall Test numbers, the difference is marginal. That's not to deny Wasim's greatness, but Imran is the greatest cricket Pakistan has produced.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen Imran Khan live. Therefore, I pick Wasim Akram as the best Pakistani bowler I have seen in my lifetime.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Statistically Imran was ahead of Wasim and the best in test cricket .who was more impactful in famous test wins and series,better against the best team of his day and had a better record in peak era.Imran has considerably better best innings bowling figures capturing 7 or more wickets on 5 occasions in test cricket.In terms of strike rate consistently they were almost on par as well as bowling average.Versus West Indies he overshadowed any other bowing great.

However aesthetically Wasim was the winner who produced more prodigious swing or reverse swing,had a more potent oustwinger,a better slower ball,could disguise his deliveries more and overalll more complete.Imran pioneered art of reverse swing which Wasim further developed.Imran was class act when bowling Sunny and Vishy at Karachi in 1982-83 but I doubt he would equal Wasim's dismissal of Rahul Dravid at Madras in 1999 or Robert Croft in England.Wasim's 11-160 at Melbourne in 1989-90 has never been surpassed by Imran in terms of sheer skill nor his spell at Old Trafford in 1992 .Imran may have been a shade quicker or more agressive but could not equal Wasim's magical artistry.

Wasim was better than Imran consistently in career if you asess the inital and final phases.Wasim in hi s inital yaers was more promising than Imram wasa and a more consistent performer.In the peak era .

Imran wins the race on statistics but remember Wasim played in a more challenging era with restriction on bouncers,more protective head gear for batsmen,neutral umpiring ,slower wickets many more ODI's played and more great fast bowlers..Still Wasim was from 1990-98 the best bowler in terms of average in the world .Morally in peak I feel Hadlee by a whisker overshadowed Imran or even Marshall .Hadlee bore brunt for the weakest team but still took 330 scalps from 1978-1988 while playing with three pace bowling greats Marshall still stood out.

No doubt Imran championed winning causes in England in 1987 and West Indies in 1988 but was supported by batsmen more than Wasim.Imran's career was greatly defined by his phenomenal performances in 1981-83 and to an extent 1987-88.No doubt Imran ran through a side more than Wasim and had a considerably better average in games won but to me t was Wasim who was more capable of making crucial breakthroughs and more effective in unhelpful conditions.

More great batsmen of his day felt Wasim was the most daunting pacemen to face than great batsmen who faced Imran.The likes of Lara,Kallis and Sangakaara ranked Wasim the best they faced while in Imran's time Viv,Chappell brothers and Gavaskar rated Lillee or even Andy Roberts ahead.

In ODI's Wasim is the clear winner with 502 scalps,better contribution in wins.

Overall in tests I still place Wasim because the game is also about aesthetics .Not for nothing have twice as many chosen great players chosen Wasim in all-time test XI than Imran.Ofcourse Imran is the greater cricketer beyond compassion,but as a pure pace bowler to me Wasim wins the title of 'best ever Pakistani pace bowler."

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Statistically Imran was ahead of Wasim and the best in test cricket .who was more impactful in famous test wins and series,better against the best team of his day and had a better record in peak era.Imran has considerably better best innings bowling figures capturing 7 or more wickets on 5 occasions in test cricket.In terms of strike rate consistently they were almost on par as well as bowling average.Versus West Indies he overshadowed any other bowing great.

However aesthetically Wasim was the winner who produced more prodigious swing or reverse swing,had a more potent oustwinger,a better slower ball,could disguise his deliveries more and overalll more complete.Imran pioneered art of reverse swing which Wasim further developed.Imran was class act when bowling Sunny and Vishy at Karachi in 1982-83 but I doubt he would equal Wasim's dismissal of Rahul Dravid at Madras in 1999 or Robert Croft in England.Wasim's 11-160 at Melbourne in 1989-90 has never been surpassed by Imran in terms of sheer skill nor his spell at Old Trafford in 1992 .Imran may have been a shade quicker or more agressive but could not equal Wasim's magical artistry.

Wasim was better than Imran consistently in career if you asess the inital and final phases.Wasim in hi s inital yaers was more promising than Imram wasa and a more consistent performer.In the peak era .

Imran wins the race on statistics but remember Wasim played in a more challenging era with restriction on bouncers,more protective head gear for batsmen,neutral umpiring ,slower wickets many more ODI's played and more great fast bowlers..Still Wasim was from 1990-98 the best bowler in terms of average in the world .Morally in peak I feel Hadlee by a whisker overshadowed Imran or even Marshall .Hadlee bore brunt for the weakest team but still took 330 scalps from 1978-1988 while playing with three pace bowling greats Marshall still stood out.

No doubt Imran championed winning causes in England in 1987 and West Indies in 1988 but was supported by batsmen more than Wasim.Imran's career was greatly defined by his phenomenal performances in 1981-83 and to an extent 1987-88.No doubt Imran ran through a side more than Wasim and had a considerably better average in games won but to me t was Wasim who was more capable of making crucial breakthroughs and more effective in unhelpful conditions.

More great batsmen of his day felt Wasim was the most daunting pacemen to face than great batsmen who faced Imran.The likes of Lara,Kallis and Sangakaara ranked Wasim the best they faced while in Imran's time Viv,Chappell brothers and Gavaskar rated Lillee or even Andy Roberts ahead.

Overall in tests I still place Wasim because the game is also about aesthetics .Not for nothing have twice as many chosen great players chosen Wasim in all-time test XI than Imran.Ofcourse Imran is the greater cricketer beyond compassion,but as a pure pace bowler to me Wasim wins the title of 'best ever Pakistani pace bowler."
    @MMHS @Junaids any response.Love to read.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Ab Fan any view?appreciate

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ‘I wanted revenge’: Wasim Akram recalls incident when Allan Donald bouncer left him with 20 stitches

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram bowled in an era when international cricket was dominated by a good crop of fast bowlers. The 1990s witnessed a steep rise in the quality of fast bowling as almost all the international teams boasted of pacers, who made their presence felt at the highest level.

Akram shared a great partnership with Waqar Younis and also shepherded pace sensation Shoaib Akhtar in his formative years, in what was one of the most successful phase of Pakistan cricket. He was recently asked to name some of the best pacers of his era by his former teammate Basit Ali on his Youtube show.

“There were Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh from West Indies. Glenn McGrath was also there. Allan Donald was also another great bowler. I mean these guys were all good” Akram said.

Just after taking Donald’s name Akram was reminded of an incident that happened when he was playing county cricket in England for Lancashire. He remembered how an express delivery from the South African left him with twenty stitches under his chin.

“I have twenty stitches here, right under my chin. I think the year was 1989 and I had gone out to bat at number 8 on an uneven pitch. He bowled a short delivery and he bowled easily in excess of 150 kilometers per hour. I was also a youngster in my early twenties and I tried to pull the ball. It hit the top edge of the bat and hit me under the chin.

“I had a psyche for revenge as I knew I will not leave this bowler. I went to the hospital and the dentist had to put ten stitches on the inside and ten on the outside as it was a deep cut. I was asked to take rest for a couple of days but I said I want to got out there and bowl. I bowled in the evening and we won the match and interestingly Donald never came out to bat as he was scared,” Akram reminisced.

Akram was the star of Pakistan’s World Cup win in 1992 and captained the team to the final of the 1999 ICC World Cup.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...1YXzThdsL.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waqar was better overall. wasim just more stylish

it reminds me of djokovic vs federer. federer more classical, but djokovic the better player

How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it's just words.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Ab Fan any view?appreciate
    I agree buddy, nicely put up. Both legends but for me all formats combined, I give Wasim the edge.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram - the better bowler

Imran Khan - better match winner against tough opposition ( 1982-83 India , 1988 West Indies , 1987 England )

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Wasim Akram is the best bowler Pakistan have produced without a doubt.
    So how does Imran have the better test record?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not seen another bowler do as many things with a cricket ball as much as he did. Rapid short balls, Yorkers, deceptive slower balls, cutting and swinging the new cherry , reversing the old. Variety was his calling but also his undoing sometimes. Had he stuck to a boring good length more often , he would have probably had an ever better test record . But then again we would not have witnessed his wizardry with the ball Probably beat the bat on either side more times than any other bowler without taking as many wickets.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    They have pretty much similar record as test bowlers.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What made Wasim so special was that he could just bowl a special delivery out of nowhere.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't care.

Wasim could produce special balls and run through a team. Most players would say Wasim is better.

You always go with players who played in olden days. Never seen you say a current player is better than a player who played years ago.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rahul Dravid has a better Test record than Sunny Gavaskar. Who was better?

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Very close. Similarly clutch. I would say Gavaskar as he was a lone gun at the top of the order and faced better fast bowlers, while Dravid came in behind at least one world class batsman.

Imran lacked fast bowling support early on in his career and outbowled Wasim later, while Wasim also benefited from support from Waqar and Shoaib.

I may be biased because Imran was the real hard man against England in the eighties and Waqar the hard man in the nineties.

Honestly I think Wasim’s legend is repeated by people who never saw him, based on two deliveries in a World Cup final.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Dravid doesn't have a better record. Played in an easy era, and has holes against top pace in Aus and SA

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't care.

Wasim could produce special balls and run through a team. Most players would say Wasim is better.

You always go with players who played in olden days. Never seen you say a current player is better than a player who played years ago.
    Wasim has a pretty poor strike rate for an ATG, so saying he ran through teams heaps is wrong

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealAB View Post
    Wasim has a pretty poor strike rate for an ATG, so saying he ran through teams heaps is wrong
    You and Robert just keeps looking at stats.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you say he ran through teams lots. I am saying he didn't. He certainly did so less than Imran. You are glorifying certain performances, and cannot remember the times when he wasn't as good. Name an top tier ATG fast bowler in the modern era with a worse SR than Wasim, then we will talk

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you say he ran through teams lots. I am saying he didn't. He certainly did so less than Imran. You are glorifying certain performances, and cannot remember the times when he wasn't as good. Name an top tier ATG fast bowler in the modern era with a worse SR than Wasim, then we will talk
    Every player has bad performances. Your basically saying a player can't have a bad day.

I don't need stats to tell me if Wasim Akram is better than a certain bowler.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Every player has bad performances. Your basically saying a player can't have a bad day.

I don't need stats to tell me if Wasim Akram is better than a certain bowler.
    I am not saying he can't have a bad day. I am saying that if he ran through more teams than other top bowlers, he must have had more bad days as his record isn't as good.

People like Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee, Ambrose and Imran were just better at getting people out than Wasim, whatever ways you want to slice it. That makes them better bowlers

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    They are the beginning of understanding not the end, but I still don’t see how Wasim could be considered a better bowler than Imran when the older man took wickets for less runs and more often.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They are the beginning of understanding not the end, but I still don’t see how Wasim could be considered a better bowler than Imran when the older man took wickets for less runs and more often.
    Agreed. The objective of a bowler is to take wickets for few runs. Style, aesthetics and charisma are secondary to that

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Agreed. The objective of a bowler is to take wickets for few runs. Style, aesthetics and charisma are secondary to that

Sure. Else Darren Gough would be a better bowler than Bob Willis.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imran khan was an incredible bowler but over the last 8-10 years of his career, he became very selective when it came to playing at home. One reason was that conditions did not suit him and he had to put in a great deal of effort which took a toll on his body. i also think he could not be enticed by challenge offered by most visiting teams and as result did not participate. standard of local umpiring was another factor which bothered him which is why he forced PCB to appoint indian umpires for the last two matches of the famous 1986 home series w.i.

after the end of the 82-83 home series against india, imran played only 16 matches in pak, six of which were against w.i. because he enjoyed the challenge of competing against them. in addition he played four matches against india in 89 in which he performed poorly (one of india's finest away performance) and he played three matches against s.l. in which he did not bowl.

because imran was able to pick and chose when he played, he was able to produce great peak performances such as against england in 87 and against w.i. in 1988. also during his time odi's were played less regularly especially in our part of the world.

day in and day out, akram was more regular and played odis more frequently especially in challenging conditions which took toll on his body as a result his test performance was impacted. akram also had to share his wickets with waqar.

memory of akram that stands out for me is the over in which he made dravid look like a novice in dravid's home country. got him out 2x in 3 balls. what a privilege it was to watch him play for pakistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFOjvZaXeQ8