Who was the greater batsmen between Sachin Tendulkar and Don Bradman?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who was the greater batsmen between Sachin Tendulkar and Don Bradman?

The history of cricket or even sport has figures who can be awarded the status of immortals or equivalents of prophets .Even all-time legends could be thrown into the oblivion by them.

2 such figures are Don Bradman and Sachin Tendulkar.In their day they bestowed glory arguably no sportsmen did.Nonone ruled the world for such a tenure as Tendulkar while none came close to rivalling the aura supremacy of Bradman. There were more gifted batsmen or those who were technically sounder ,dominated bowling more and more elegant.However none apart from the possible exception of Barry Richards and Gary Sobers came so close to a perfect cricketing machine.In their eras they arguably made more of an impact than a Julius Caesar.

They were similar in playing style with Bradman more unorthodox or save and Sachin marginally more refined and better in the 'V'region.I would prefer a straight drive or on drive of Sachin to Bradman's but feel the Don was a more effective puller or cutter.Tendulkar had more majestic lofted shots with the advent of ODI cricket but it could well have been the Don who could piece the gaps more effectively.Bradman was he more ruthless or destructive,Sachin the more organized or clinical.Bradman had a comparative beater strike rate but it was Sachin who had the wider repertoire of strokes.

Bradman played on uncovered pitches which was a disadvantage but Tendulkar played in a much more competitive era in terms of bowling and fielding.Difficult to visualize Bradman piecing gaps as frequently with the greatly improved fielding .It must be mentioned that Bradman was not at his best and even overshadowed by George Headley and Jack Hobbs on wet or bad sticklers.In contrast some of Tendulkar's best innings have come on bad wickets like versus Pakistan at Madras in 1999.Bradman was not at his best against bodyline while Sachin although troubled executed some of his finest knocks against the genuine pace of a Donald or Wasim.Tendulkar was also much more tested against the great spinners of his time while Bradman hardly played great spinners or tackled turning tracks.Unlike even Hammond or Hutton Bradman dos not have an outstanding performance on a treacherous pitch.

Both made Herculean comebacks in a Muhammad Ali style.Bradman after the completion of World War 2, and Sachin after his elbow tennis injury.

Where Bradman strode out like a collosus was his statistical figures whee he literally redefined the mathematical law of averages.No sportsman ever was so head and shoulders above opponents as the Don mathematically.In the statistical sense all-time great batsmen would appear pedestal like Walter Hammond or Len Hutton.In that light Bradman reached a pinnacle of glory none did like an emperor who took invincibility to mythical or metaphysical proportions.There is no adjective to describe the aura of Bradman who gave vibrations of defying the laws of gravity or physics.In full flow it appeared as though he was posessed by some mythical spirits.6996 runs at an Average of 99.94 with 29 centuries in 80 innings is something no batsmen will ever come close to let alone equal or surpass.What was very complex to understand was how Bradman was statistically in different league from geniuses like Jack Hobbs.Walter Hammond,Denis Compton or George Headley.Imagine Bradman averaged 174 in the matches he scored centuries and in games where he did not score a century averaged 83.14.He scored 27 first class double centuries within a day itself which is remarkable.The slowest hundred of his career was s cored in 253 minutes which is remarkable even by standards today.Bradman also gave not more than 93 chances in his carer which is amazing.Quoting English mathematician Hardy "Bradman's a whole class above any batsmen who ever lived:if Archimdes,Newton and Gauss remained in the Hobbs class,I have to admit the possibilty of a class above them,which I find difficult to imagine.They better be moved from now on to the Bradman class."

Tendulkar has broken all the records for run aggregates by a batsmen before 25 and has a staggering 100 International centuries which may also never be surpassed.What is beyond doubt is none may come close to being at the top of the pedestal as a cricketer or batsmen as Tendulkar,asserting as much a degree of supremacy in both test and ODI cricket.Ofcourse Tendulkar was run much closer by other great batsmen than Bradman with the likes of Lara or Ponting at his best .It must be stated that Tendulkar faced twice the pressure Bradman did often having to single-handedly carry the fort,at his best.Bradman was more the match-winner with greater killer instinct but it was Tendulkar who was more of the battler in hostile conditions.Had Bradman played in the modern age I would still back him to average around 7-75 in test cricket but not equal Tendulkar's staggering landmark of 100 centuries or equal Tendulkar. on difficult tracks. Somehow I doubt the Don would have equalled Sachin's test century in South Africa in 2011 in most difficult conditions or his 2 ODI innings versus Australia at Sharjah in 1998.Bradman only played in England and Australia,unlike Tendulkar who played all around the globe.Unlike Bradman,Tendulkar played in world cups,which is noteworthy,and was the most impactful batsmen.Tendulkar played and performed best against the top team of his day,Australia.Bradman played for the best team of his day.Overall by a whisker,I feel Tendulkar in a total package was the more complete or perfect batsmen.

I find it hard visualizing Bradman equal the prowess of Viv Richards or the defiance of Sunil Gavaskar against express pace.Nor would I back Bradman to equal the strike rate or lust for mammoth scores of Virendra Sehwag or Brian Lara.I feel in ODI cricket Viv would have overshadowed the Don.Still in all fairness Tendulkar may well have averaged below 70 in tests in Bradman's era.I strongly feel greats like Hobbs,Hammond and Headley would have come considerably closer to Bradman had they played in the modern era.I feel morally figures flatter Bradman's superiority to his peers with Stan Mcabe playing bodyline bowling better or Trumper,Headley and Hobbs overshadowing Bradman on wet pitches.Jack Hobbs;s centuries were compiled or runs amassed on considerably harder wickets even in test cricket.George Headley had to wage the battle of a lone crusader much more .Bradman had the support of Bill Ponsford,,Stan Mcabe,Lindsay Hasset,,Kippax and Brown who were all prolific.It must be noted that on wet pitches Bradman passed 50 only twice ,40 only twice and 15 only 4 times.In contrast Headley averaged 39.85 .If scaling scoring rates I still do not back Bradman to equal Viv Richards or Sehwag's strike rate in test cricket or Brian Lara at his best.Very hard visualizing the Don surpass Lara's unbeaten 153 in 1999 v Australia,Viv Richard's unbeaten 189 in an ODI against England Old Trafford in 1984. or Sunil Gavaskar's 96 on a broken pitch v Pakistan at Bangalore in 1987.

What set them both apart was temperament where Bradman had the edge by a whisker .Bradman had superior concentration but it was Tendulkar's mental teanacity that was more tested and expressed.I feel the Don and Sachin had talent more or less the same level.Both were champions of their eras and it may need pyschic powers to asess how each would have performed if the era was interchanged.It may well be that if inter changing the era in essence they would no more be a Bradman or a Tendulkar,even if spectacular.Afterall sport is so much about mental adjustment to specific conditions.It is significant that both did not score the qualitatively best test or ODI innings of all time and few who possessed more cricketing genius.It is pertinent that both Bradman and Tendulkar in their respective eras had batsmen who were more talented,better against express pace and better performers on bad wickets.Tendulkar would not surpass the artistry of Lara ,or the skill of Rahul Dravid on bad pitch just as Bradman would be overshadowed by Denis Compton for creativity and by George Headley on a bad wicket.

With a gun on my head if it was only considering Test Cricket Bradman wins my vote .However overall adding ODI cricket I give Tendulkar the nod by a whisker.Bradman may have won the statistical game against Tendulkar but not matched Tendulkar's longevity overall or ability to perform as outstandingly under pressure or in difficult conditions.To me the sum total or magnitude of Sachin's 100 International centuries and 30,000 international runs when considering pressure and era was by a whisker worth more than Bradman's mythical or unimaginable figures of ,6996 runs and 29 centuries scored in 52 innings at an average of 99.94.Bradman did not have half as great bowlers in his era as Sachin did be it the likes of Wasim,Mcgrath,Donald,Warne or Ambrose.I would apologize to all cricket fans if I erred in judgement by not respecting the figures which should make Bradman the inevitable champion of all.No mathematical asessment could elevate any great batsmen to the pedestal of Bradman.However if one critically sees the video films and thus get a more critical insight into the picture,it is touch and go.Such a debate has depths to the degree of the topic of how the Universe itself began.However I feel cricket is not all about statistics ,which is the beauty of the game.

Quoting late Hanif Mohammaed."ďI am one of those fortune people who have seen Bradman and Tendulkar bat in my lifetime and in my opinion Tendulkar is the best batsman I have seen in my life.I am fortunate to have played in the Bradman era and also seen the greatness of Tendulkar and inevitably I am asked who is the greatest batsman of all time. Was it Bradman with his Test average of 99 or Tendulkar with his 100 international hundreds? Surely Bradman should get this title but it is always tough to make such comparisons and for me there is no comparison. Because it is safe to say that when you play more matches, your average does tend to get affected.There is no doubt about Bradman's class or caliber but Tendulkar stands out with his consistency, determination and run scoring feats in the last 25 years. He has shown what one can achieve with sheer hardwork and passion and he became the best by consistently performing in any format."

Quoting Richard Hadlee ""Well, Sir Donald Bradman has been regarded as the greatest player ever," Hadlee said. "He played just Test cricket. He hasn't played any other forms of the game. Clearly, that is understandable. But to see Sachin and other players actually adjust to different forms of the game and different conditions all around the world, even though the average is fractionally more than half of the Don's is in itself incredible. You got to respect it and write those performances.""

Quoting Zaheer Abbas"

"People keep calling him (Bradman) the greatest. I never saw him bat but I know, somehow, that he couldn't have been better than Tendulkar,"

"This boy [Tendulkar] has certainly gone a step ahead of the Don. Just look at the guy. I mean he has been playing for 21 years, has scored thousands of runs, dozens of centuries but is still hungry for more as a debutant. It's such an inspiring sight to see him go out there and still bat like he batted as a teenager."

BRADMAN ON BAD WICKETS

Of course, the only way to test this hypothesis, that the Don was merely mortal on a damp pitch, was to go through each of the match reports and determine which of his innings could be considered to have been made on rain-affected pitches. Although rain fell in a significant number of the Tests in which he played, not all necessarily affected the Donís own innings Ė here is a listing of all of the Tests in which Bradman appeared which were affected by rain, together with details of the relevant innings:-
    Date Opponent Inns Comments
    29-Dec-1928 England 79 & 112 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    13-Jun-1930 England 8 & 131 wicket had improved by the 4th innings, so only his first innings was affected
    11-Jun-1930 England 334 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    25-Jul-1930 England 14 innings affected by rain
    16-Aug-1930 England 232 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    1-Jan-1931 West Indies 25 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    16-Jan-1931 West Indies 223 after rain overnight, Bradman did not add to his score
    27-Feb-1931 West Indies 43 & 0 both innings affected by rain
    27-Nov-1931 South Africa 226 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    18-Dec-1931 South Africa 112 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    8-Jun-1934 England 29 & 25 only Bradmanís second innings was rain-affected
    22-Jun-1934 England 36 & 13 both innings affected by rain
    20-Jul-1934 England 304 rain affected the pitch after Bradmanís innings
    18-Aug-1934 England 244 & 77 after rain overnight, Bradman added one to his second-innings score
    4-Dec-1936 England 38 & 0 only Bradmanís second innings was rain-affected (rain between fourth and fifth days)
    18-Dec-1936 England 0 & 82 both innings affected by rain
    1-Jan-1937 England 13 & 270 only Bradmanís first innings was rain-affected
    24-Jun-1938 England 18 & 102 rain did not affect Australiaís innings
    29-Nov-1946 England 187 rain did not affect Australiaís innings
    28-Nov-1947 India 185 rain did not affect Australiaís innings
    12-Dec-1947 India 13 innings affected by rain
    1-Jan-1948 India 132 & 127 rain did not affect Australiaís innings
    10-Jun-1948 England 138 & 0 rain did not affect Australiaís innings
    8-Jul-1948 England 7 & 30* both innings affected by rain
    14-Aug-1948 England 0 innings affected by rain

Note: during the Test of 22-Jul-1938, a match played in high humidity, Bradman would not appeal against the bad light as he did not want to have to bat next day on a potentially damp wicket. In the event it did not rain, so that match doesnít appear in the list above.

Rain affected 25 of the 52 Tests in which Bradman played, i.e. almost half Ė the Donís affected innings are shown in bold above, so we can now create two averages for Bradman, one for rain-affected innings and one for non-affected innings, i.e. more equivalent to playing today on covered wickets.

By my reckoning there were fifteen of Bradmanís Test innings which we can consider rain-affected and treat them separately Ė here are the adjusted averages:-
    MATCHES INNINGS RUNS NO AVERAGE HS 100 50 0
    11 15 284 1 20.29 82 0 1 4
    41 65 6712 9 119.90 334 29 12 3

STATISTICS COMPILED FROM S.RAJESH OF CRICINFO ON BRADMAN

As we can see, there is a significant difference between his performances on rain-affected pitches as compared with those which were unaffected Ė not only was he merely mortal on those wickets, he was not even good; he made only one fifty in fifteen innings, or a rate of 6.7%, compared with 41 out of 65 on unaffected pitches, or a rate of 63.1%. Also, four of his seven ducks were achieved on damp pitches (including, of course, that most famous duck, in his final test innings).

Even among cricketing legends, Don Bradman's stature is one that no other player has come close to. His stats are so much better than anyone before, during or after his time, that it truly boggles the mind. Various arguments are offered about the changes in the game today to try and explain 99.94: fielding standards have improved, making it tougher for batsmen to score; captains are more agreeable to posting defensive fields and restricting the runs; the game is played across several countries as opposed to just a few during Bradman's time, making it more difficult to adjust to different conditions. While these statements may be true as independent facts, they do nothing to diminish the sheer genius of the Don, and the staggering magnitude of his achievements.

The most famous number, of course, is his Test average, which is 64% better than the next-best (with a cut-off of 2000 runs). That alone shows how much better Bradman has been than anyone who has ever played the game. Comparing the overall batting numbers during his time with the corresponding number today further illustrates this point: in the 20 years in which Bradman played his Test cricket, the overall batting average was 31.85; in the 21 years since Sachin Tendulkar's Test debut, the overall batting average in 845 Tests is 31.07. Restricting this only to top-order batsmen (batsmen in the top six of a line-up) also throws up similar numbers - 39.99 during Bradman's time (1928 to 1948), and 38.40 during Tendulkar's (November 1989 onwards).

Apart from Bradman and Graeme Pollock, West Indian George Headley and Herbert Sutcliffe of England were the only ones who scored more than 2000 Test runs at averages of more than 60.
    Highest averages in Test cricket (Qual: 2000 runs)
    Batsman Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s
    Don Bradman 52 6996 99.94 29/ 13
    Graeme Pollock 23 2256 60.97 7/ 11
    George Headley 22 2190 60.83 10/ 5
    Herbert Sutcliffe 54 4555 60.73 16/ 23
    Ken Barrington 82 6806 58.67 20/ 35
    Everton Weekes 48 4455 58.61 15/ 19
    Wally Hammond 85 7249 58.45 22/ 24
    Garry Sobers 93 8032 57.78 26/ 30

Among the batsmen who averaged 60, Pollock was the only one who came in after Bradman's time. Till the end of the 1940s, when Bradman finished his international career, Headley's 63.91 was the nearest anyone came to his 99.94 (though Headley's average fell away a bit later). Denis Compton, who was almost halfway through his Test career, averaged more than 60 at that point too, but his performances fell away thereafter and he finished averaging 50.06 from 78 matches.
    Best Test averages before 1950 (Qual: 2000 runs)
    Don Bradman 52 6996 99.94 29/ 13
    George Headley 21 2173 63.91 10/ 5
    Herbert Sutcliffe 54 4555 60.73 16/ 23
    Denis Compton 36 3132 60.23 13/ 12
    Dudley Nourse 26 2469 58.78 8/ 12
    Wally Hammond 85 7249 58.45 22/ 24
    Jack Hobbs 61 5410 56.94 15/ 28
    Len Hutton 41 3788 56.53 11/ 17

Bradman's stats are even more remarkable because of the eight years he lost due to the War. His ill health meant he might not have played too much cricket during this period anyway, but when international cricket resumed in 1946, he was able to summon his best immediately: in his first innings he scored 187 in Brisbane against England, and followed that up with 234 in the next Test, in Sydney. He followed that up with four centuries in six innings against India in 1947-48, and then, in the famous tour of the Invincibles in 1948, scored an unforgettable 173 not out as Australia became the first team to successfully chase a 400-plus target in the fourth innings. In the 15 Tests he played after the War, Bradman averaged more than 105, and scored eight hundreds.

S.RAJESH ON SACHIN TENDULKAR IN CRICINFO
    Tendulkar's Test career
    Period Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s
    Till Dec 1992 20 1085 37.41 4/ 4
    Jan 1993 to Dec 1996 26 2021 59.44 6/ 11
    Jan 1997 to Dec 2002 59 5705 63.38 21/ 20
    Jan 2003 to Dec 2006 29 1779 44.47 4/ 7
    Jan 2007 onwards 32 2857 58.30 12/ 12
    Career 166 13,447 55.56 47/ 54

During that six-year period from January 1997 to December 2002, Tendulkar was unquestionably the best batsman in the world, handling pace in Australia and South Africa as effectively as he did spin in Sri Lanka. And then, of course, there was the epic 136 against Pakistan in Chennai which, unfortunately for him, wasn't enough to take India to victory against Pakistan.

In only 59 Tests he managed 21 centuries - an average of one every 2.81 matches. His average during this phase was well ahead of the second-placed Andy Flower, who led a string of batsmen who averaged in the md-50s.
    Best Test batsmen between Jan 1997 and Dec 2002
    Sachin Tendulkar 59 5705 63.38 21/ 20
    Andy Flower 41 3464 56.78 9/ 18
    Matthew Hayden 35 3054 56.55 12/ 10
    Rahul Dravid 62 5178 55.08 14/ 25
    Aravinda de Silva 38 3134 54.98 12/ 9
    Inzamam-ul-Haq 49 3740 51.94 12/ 15
    Jacques Kallis 63 4447 51.70 11/ 25
    Ricky Ponting 57 3916 50.85 14/ 14

Unfortunately for Tendulkar, his best period coincided with one where India had a poor bowling attack, especially overseas, and a batting line-up that tended to crumble quite often on tours. In 69 Tests between the beginning of 1993 and the end of 2001, India won 23, but only three of those came abroad. During this period, Tendulkar contributed almost 20% of all runs scored off the bat by India, and more than 21% when they played in Australia, South Africa, England, New Zealand or the West Indies. From 2002 onwards, there were many more batsmen contributing - Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and VVS Laxman weighed in consistently both home and away, which significantly reduced the dependence on Tendulkar: he has contributed only 14.30% of the team runs since 2002. With the bowling attack getting stronger as well, Tendulkar has been a part of 15 away Test wins during this period, and 32 wins in all in these eight-and-a-half years.
    Tendulkar's contribution to the team
    Period Tendulkar's runs Team runs Percentage
    Till Dec 1992 1085 9122 11.89
    Jan 1993 to Dec 2001 6334 32,048 19.76
    Jan '93 to Dec '01, in Aus, SA, NZ, Eng, WI 1783 8368 21.31
    Jan 2002 onwards 6028 42,140 14.30
    Overall 13,477 83,310 16.18

A standout feature of Tendulkar's career has been his tendency to save his best for the greatest team of his generation. Few batsmen have consistently got the better of Australia over the last two decades, but Tendulkar is clearly one of them. His two stunning hundreds on his first tour to Australia announced him as a special talent, while his Boxing Day century in 1999 showed the gulf between him and the rest of the Indian batsmen. Later in his career some of the others - Laxman and Sehwag, especially - also showed their liking for the Australian attack, but Tendulkar is the one player who has sustained his performances against Australia for 20 years.
    Highest Test averages against Australia since 1990
    Sachin Tendulkar 29 2748 56.08 10/ 11
    VVS Laxman 24 2204 55.10 6/ 10
    Virender Sehwag 15 1483 51.13 3/ 7
    Brian Lara 31 2856 51.00 9/ 11
    Kevin Pietersen 12 1116 50.72 2/ 7
    Richie Richardson 14 1084 49.27 4/ 4
    Graham Thorpe 16 1235 45.74 3/ 8
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul 17 1303 44.93 4/ 8

Tendulkar's Test average in Australia is marginally higher than his average against them at home, while six of his ten hundreds against them have come in Australia.
    Best Test averages by overseas batsmen in Australia since 1990 (Qual: 750 runs)
    Virender Sehwag 7 833 59.50 2/ 3
    Sachin Tendulkar 16 1522 58.53 6/ 5
    VVS Laxman 11 1081 54.05 4/ 3
    Rahul Dravid 12 972 48.60 1/ 5
    Jacques Kallis 12 915 45.75 2/ 5
    Brian Lara 19 1469 41.97

4/ 4

The ODI master
    Tendulkar has set some pretty awesome records in Tests, but some of his ODI stats are arguably more staggering. His career aggregate is currently more than 4000 ahead of his nearest competitor, and it'll certainly go up even further by the time he retires. As an opener, he has scored almost 15,000 runs at an average touching 49, which is the highest for openers who've scored at least 2500.

Like in Tests, Tendulkar has also raised his game against the Australians in one-day internationals, scoring more than 3000 runs against them - the only one to do so - at an average of more than 46.
    Best ODI batsmen against Australia since 1990 (Qual: 750 runs)
    Batsman ODIs Runs Average Strike rate 100s/ 50s
    Aravinda de Silva 24 997 49.85 83.43 2/ 6
    Hansie Cronje 39 1364 47.03 73.05 2/ 9
    Sachin Tendulkar 67 3005 46.23 85.12 9/ 14
    Lance Klusener 26 794 44.11 87.34 0/ 5
    Kumar Sangakkara 28 1134 43.61 74.80 1/ 8
    Jonty Rhodes 55 1610 40.25 77.92 0/ 10
    Brian Lara 51 1858 39.53 76.58 3/ 15

Tendulkar has already stated that he will play the 2011 World Cup, and if his past record at the tournament is anything to go by, opposition bowlers will have plenty to worry about. He has already played five World Cups so far, averaging almost 58 in 36 matches. With the format guaranteeing each team at least six matches, Tendulkar has an excellent chance to become the first batsman to score 2000 World Cup runs.
    Best performers in World Cups (Qual: 1000 runs)
    Batsman Matches Runs Average Strike rate 100s/ 50s
    Viv Richards 23 1013 63.31 85.05 3/ 5
    Sachin Tendulkar 36 1796 57.93 88.21 4/ 13
    Herschelle Gibbs 25 1067 56.15 87.38 2/ 8
    Sourav Ganguly 21 1006 55.88 77.50 4/ 3
    Mark Waugh 22 1004 52.84 83.73 4/ 4
    Ricky Ponting 39 1537 48.03 81.06 4/ 6
    Javed Miandad 33 1083 43.32 68.02 1/ 8
    Brian Lara 34 1225 42.24 86.26 2/ 7

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Two cricketers who ruled their era and that is what matters.

Sweetest thing was when Bradman himself declared Tendulkar as nearest in style to him and picked him in his All Time XI (the only active cricketer at that time in that XI).

PS, not sure how many people are aware, Sachin actually has the 2ne best batting average since Bradman in first class cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its always abt how far ahead you are of your peers

Bradman averages 40 more than his closest rivals like Hutton , Hammond & others. Sachin is nowhere close

So no contest really

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    You can make an absolute comparison or a relative comparison.

In an absolute comparison, Bradman would not hold a candle to Tendulkar. There is nearly 70-80 years of evolution between the two and the standard of cricket in Tendulkarís time is not comparable to the standard of cricket in Bradmanís time.

Forget Tendulkar, I would argue that someone like Cummins would score more runs against an attack of Starc, Rabada, Bumrah, Boult, Anderson etc. than the 1930 version of Bradman would.

Bradman was never exposed to the pace and quality of bowling that Tendulkar faced.

If you make a relative comparison, then Bradman has a very strong case because he was literally twice as prolific as the next best batsman of his era, so he must have had certain qualities that allowed him to stand out in such fashion.

As a result, it is not right to demean Bradman because every player is a product of the era that he played in. There is a very good chance that Bradman would have found a way to succeed in every era by adapting his game.

Keeping all of that in mind, between the two, I would pick Tendulkar because I believe he has the strongest claim at the GOAT batsman title.

He holds more records than any batsman dead or alive, he excelled against three generations of bowlers and the amount of pressure and expectations that he had to cope with is simply not comparable to what Bradman had to face.

No batsman or no cricketer has a perfect career and no one ticks all the boxes or passes all the tests. However, no batsman in history ticks more boxes than Tendulkar. As a result, if any batsman deserves the GOAT title, it is him.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

In an absolute comparison, Bradman would not hold a candle to Tendulkar. There is nearly 70-80 years of evolution between the two and the standard of cricket in Tendulkarís time is not comparable to the standard of cricket in Bradmanís time.

Forget Tendulkar, I would argue that someone like Cummins would score more runs against an attack of Starc, Rabada, Bumrah, Boult, Anderson etc. than the 1930 version of Bradman would.

Bradman was never exposed to the pace and quality of bowling that Tendulkar faced.

If you make a relative comparison, then Bradman has a very strong case because he was literally twice as prolific as the next best batsman of his era, so he must have had certain qualities that allowed him to stand out in such fashion.

As a result, it is not right to demean Bradman because every player is a product of the era that he played in. There is a very good chance that Bradman would have found a way to succeed in every era by adapting his game.

Keeping all of that in mind, between the two, I would pick Tendulkar because I believe he has the strongest claim at the GOAT batsman title.

He holds more records than any batsman dead or alive, he excelled against three generations of bowlers and the amount of pressure and expectations that he had to cope with is simply not comparable to what Bradman had to face.

No batsman or no cricketer has a perfect career and no one ticks all the boxes or passes all the tests. However, no batsman in history ticks more boxes than Tendulkar. As a result, if any batsman deserves the GOAT title, it is him.
    I hate this view. Bradman could only play against the countries that were active. Imagine if in 100 years there are 50 test playing nations and you would say "Sachin wasn't good because he only played against 8 countries". See how ridiculous that sounds?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    I hate this view. Bradman could only play against the countries that were active. Imagine if in 100 years there are 50 test playing nations and you would say "Sachin wasn't good because he only played against 8 countries". See how ridiculous that sounds?
    Who said Bradman wasnít good? That is not the point of my post at all.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is not only statistical records.Compare Bradman on wet pitches to contemporaries like Headley,Bradman against bodyline etc.Would he have eclipsed the likes of Viv in ferocity,Sachin in longevity ,Lara in amassing big scores at such a strike rate or Sunil gavaskar setting records without a helmet against express pace?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In an absolute comparison, Bradman would not hold a candle to Tendulkar. There is nearly 70-80 years of evolution between the two and the standard of cricket in Tendulkar’s time is not comparable to the standard of cricket in Bradman’s time.

Very well analyzed.You understand my perspective.On has to respect the challenges and pressure Sachin faced dominating sport for the longest tenure ever .Cricket is not only about records.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    But Tendulkar didn't rule. He was not really any better than Lara, Ponting and Kallis.

Whereas Bradman was better than world class players such as Hammond, Headley, Hutton and Compton by a huge margin.

It's like comparing Fangio with Schumacher. The latter has seven drivers championships to the former's five, but Schumacher won about 22% of his races, while Fangio won 50% of his.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    But Tendulkar didn't rule. He was not really any better than Lara, Ponting and Kallis.

Whereas Bradman was better than world class players such as Hammond, Headley, Hutton and Compton by a huge margin.

It's like comparing Fangio with Schumacher. The latter has seven drivers championships to the former's five, but Schumacher won about 22% of his races, while Fangio won 50% of his.
    Never overlook how George Headley ,Jack Hobbs and Victor Trumper overshadowed Bradman on wet wickets or his batting in bodyline.No batsmen in a much more competitive era came closer to Tendulkar's 100 International Centuries be it Lara,Ponting or Kallis or at the top for such a long tenure.Sachin holds the record for the youngest btasmen to have reached all the thousand run landmarks .In sum total was he not thus more impactful considering era?Remember even a genius like Lara has around half as any International hundreds .

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who said Bradman wasn’t good? That is not the point of my post at all.
    Yours was a very sensible post.PP viewers must read it.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tendulkar was constanly rated as the best batsman in the world since 1993 until about 2011. Likes of Lara, Ponting were very good but never had the same consistency as Tendulkar. There was a reason Bradman himself named Sachin as the best batsman he has seen.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Tendulkar was constanly rated as the best batsman in the world since 1993 until about 2011. Likes of Lara, Ponting were very good but never had the same consistency as Tendulkar. There was a reason Bradman himself named Sachin as the best batsman he has seen.
    Longevity at top like no sportsman.I doubt Bradman would have scored 100 international a centuries n modern era or surpassed Sachin on difficult tracks.Lara may have been a better test batsmen ,Viv better ODI one but in a total package Tendulkar was the king.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How would you compare with Bradman?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please participate here @Junaids @MMHS @Ab Fan .Welcome your analytical views. I distinctly remembering you Junaids asking me for an analysis on this long back.So here it is.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Sweetest thing was when Bradman himself declared Tendulkar as nearest in style to him and picked him in his All Time XI (the only active cricketer at that time in that XI).

PS, not sure how many people are aware, Sachin actually has the 2ne best batting average since Bradman in first class cricket.
    No. Merchant himself has a better one, plus many, many others

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Longevity at top like no sportsman.I doubt Bradman would have scored 100 international a centuries n modern era or surpassed Sachin on difficult tracks.Lara may have been a better test batsmen ,Viv better ODI one but in a total package Tendulkar was the king.
    Bradman would have most certainly. He scored 300 in a day

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Never overlook how George Headley ,Jack Hobbs and Victor Trumper overshadowed Bradman on wet wickets or his batting in bodyline.No batsmen in a much more competitive era came closer to Tendulkar's 100 International Centuries be it Lara,Ponting or Kallis or at the top for such a long tenure.Sachin holds the record for the youngest btasmen to have reached all the thousand run landmarks .In sum total was he not thus more impactful considering era?Remember even a genius like Lara has around half as any International hundreds .
    Averaged 56 in bodyline vs stupid field settings. Better than Tendulkar's career average

I rate Sachin very highly but this is a no contest. Compare Tendulkar with Viv and Sobers first

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It is not only statistical records.Compare Bradman on wet pitches to contemporaries like Headley,Bradman against bodyline etc.Would he have eclipsed the likes of Viv in ferocity,Sachin in longevity ,Lara in amassing big scores at such a strike rate or Sunil gavaskar setting records without a helmet against express pace?
    Would have eclipsed Viv in scoring rate I reckon. 300 in a day. Obviously better than Lara at big scores, scored more doubles in way, way less matches. Set way more records than Gavaskar without a helmet so not suer what your point is

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bradman played in the depression and he was Australia's light. He had plenty of pressure. Bradman holds way more records than Tendulkar. I will list them
    Average
    Hundreds/Game
    Double Hundreds/Game
    Triple Hundreds/Game
    Median score
    Highest series score
    Most runs in a day
    Highest Peak
    etc etc

Bradman excelled against three generations of bowlers, remember he played for 20 years,
    1. Tate, Larwood
    2. O'Reilly, Grimmett domestics. Also verity and Farnes
    3. Bedser, Laker

I feel like his success vs bodyline shows that he would be the best today with no problems if he was dropped into our time period playing India this summer. His mental game is unsurpassed, and that is the #1 thing in batting

Re the perfect career, what has Bradman not done apart from playing in today's era, which he obviously could not have done

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    While agree that Sachin was better than those blokes, this was not indisputable for his whole career. During 2002-2007 in particular, Ponting was the better player. Bradman on the other hand was the undisputed best batsman in the world from 30 - 48'

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealAB View Post
    Averaged 56 in bodyline vs stupid field settings. Better than Tendulkar's career average

I rate Sachin very highly but this is a no contest. Compare Tendulkar with Viv and Sobers first
    What about his scores on wet or bad wickets?Headley outscored him and so did Hobbs.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would have eclipsed Viv in scoring rate I reckon. 300 in a day. Obviously better than Lara at big scores, scored more doubles in way, way less matches. Set way more records than Gavaskar without a helmet so not suer what your point is
    Without a helmet Gavaskar faced express pace and still set records.Bradman did not face half as lethal pace bowling.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laughable comparison, not least when Tendulkar isn't even the greatest batsman produced by India. Sure he's got the longevity, which makes him the batting equivalent of Jimmy Anderson (albeit at a much higher level).

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What about his scores on wet or bad wickets?Headley outscored him and so did Hobbs.
    That is a good point, but not relevant to this discussion as Sachin never played on wet wickets either

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Without a helmet Gavaskar faced express pace and still set records.Bradman did not face half as lethal pace bowling.
    Stop bringing up no helmet, Bradman didn't use one either

Larwood with Bodyline fields making the hook shot impossible is harder than anything Sunny, or anybody else, faced. Gavaskar also had much better protective gear in general

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Compare the bowling Viv faced and Viv's strike rate in ODI's.Bradman did not make as many 270 + scores or amassed triple centuries as fast as Sehwag nor score over 350 twice as Lara.Bradmna did not face bolwers like Lillee,Thomson,Donald or Akram or even the fast-medium prowess of Mcgrath.At his best even in tests may not surpass Lara at his best.Do remember how Headley and Hobbs or even Trumper outclassed the Don on wet wickets.Not for nothing did greats like Hanif,Zaheer and Hadleee rank Tendulkar so highly.Bradman on bad wickets has no comparable best efforst to Lara,Tendulkar or Gavaskar nor equalled Viv's explosivity at his best.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Envisage facing the Carribaen pace quartet without a helmet like Sunny ?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Merchant hardly played International cricket whatever his overall genius or staggering stats.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stop bringing up no helmet, Bradman didn't use one either

Larwood with Bodyline fields making the hook shot impossible is harder than anything Sunny, or anybody else, faced. Gavaskar also had much better protective gear in general
    Did Bradaman as frequently face a Donald,Wasim,Ambrose or Waqar at their fastest as Sachin ?Tendulkar conquered every great pacemen including Mcgrath.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bradman played in the depression and he was Australia's light. He had plenty of pressure. Bradman holds way more records than Tendulkar. I will list them
    Average
    Hundreds/Game
    Double Hundreds/Game
    Triple Hundreds/Game
    Median score
    Highest series score
    Most runs in a day
    Highest Peak
    etc etc

Bradman excelled against three generations of bowlers, remember he played for 20 years,
    1. Tate, Larwood
    3. Bedser, Laker

I feel like his success vs bodyline shows that he would be the best today with no problems if he was dropped into our time period playing India this summer. His mental game is unsurpassed, and that is the #1 thing in batting

Re the perfect career, what has Bradman not done apart from playing in today's era, which he obviously could not have done
    Don't forget he didn't played cricket for 6-7 years due to World War.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relative: Don
    Absolute: Sachin

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Average
    Hundreds/Game
    Double Hundreds/Game
    Triple Hundreds/Game
    Median score
    Highest series score
    Most runs in a day
    Highest Peak
    etc etc

1. Tate, Larwood
    3. Bedser, Laker

Well analyzed but Sachin played twice as better pace and spin bowling,that too in more diverse conditions.Did Bradman equal Tendulkar's domination of Shane Warne like in 1998 at Madras and Sharjah or taking apart likes of Wasim ,Shoaib and Waqar in 2003 world cup ?Also compare pressure faced .

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is a good point, but not relevant to this discussion as Sachin never played on wet wickets either
    Do remember Tendulkar's best on bad wickets like v Pakistan at Madras in 1999 or in South Africa in 2011.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Laughable comparison, not least when Tendulkar isn't even the greatest batsman produced by India. Sure he's got the longevity, which makes him the batting equivalent of Jimmy Anderson (albeit at a much higher level).
    Tendulkar is the best batsman produced by india by some disctance. Kohli is nowhere near him. Even in his peak his performance in the world cup will not place him in the team of the world cup. Forget tendulkar's 96 99 or 2011, it can be argued that even his performance in the 92 world cup is greater than any of kohli's. As for test kohli struggles against the likes of lyon. There's just too much gap between their spin playing abiities. On the other hand dravid and gavaskar were never very good in odi's.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anikrc1 View Post
    Tendulkar is the best batsman produced by india by some disctance. Kohli is nowhere near him. Even in his peak his performance in the world cup will not place him in the team of the world cup. Forget tendulkar's 96 99 or 2011, it can be argued that even his performance in the 92 world cup is greater than any of kohli's. As for test kohli struggles against the likes of lyon. There's just too much gap between their spin playing abiities. On the other hand dravid and gavaskar were never very good in odi's.
    Compared to Bradman?Or even Lara or Viv?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Compared to Bradman?Or even Lara or Viv?
    I don't think bradman should be compared with modern batsmen. As for lara or tendulkar all i can say that these two are the greatest batsman i have seen by far. There might be others who have been better run scorers in tests but the skill level these two possesed was equalled by only Devilliers. Haven't seen viv.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have seen Tendulkar getting struggled against slow left arm bowlers.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tendulkar

Tendulkar was an ATG without a doubt but other than playing 200 tests and along with scoring 50 100s with that there is no statistic at the end of his test career which clearly makes him superior to many of his contemporaries.

There are many with better averages all around and better 100s/match ratio. I loved his batting style and the way he played the game however, without any disrespect in terms of stats rather then longevity he is a bit over rated tests in my opinion. Starting at the age of 15 and playing for more than two decades is truly remarkable but cricket is the game of stats he doesnt have the best rather many have better than him in tests. He has played 200 tests abd scored 50 100s but I dont think that stat alone make anyone as superior as many imply in comparison to people with 100-150 tests with better averages and conversion rates.

In ODIs though he was a giant and if we combine both the formats he was really good. However, in tests alone I think there are statistically many better. Yes fans can say he underachieved considering his talent but on the numbers alone unless we are giving more weight to continuing with such consistency for 200 tests, he isnt an outright best.

Bradman

Coming to Bradman while he wasn¬’t playing against as many oppositions and in different conditions as modern day batsmen do but even if we compare his stats to people who were playing at that time and were facing the same conditions and oppositions they were far far behind.

Someone who was so much superior in his time, if he would have born in modern era he would have been a sitting duck as many imply. He had natural skills for the game and if he would have been groomed from a young age with all the modern facilities ge would probably have been a great even in the modern era.

Saying Bradman of 1930s would have struggled against modern bowling is a false comparison as then he would have also been brought up in the modern system with all the equipment, training facilities and bat. Considering how superior he was in his time, there is no doubt that he had the skills and attitude to adapt even in the modern era.

Verdict

In terms of stats and being much more superior than the contemporaries as well I think Don Bradman was greater. If it was only the era that gave Bradman such stats then we would have seen many with such extraordinary batting stats from that time and there is no one near.
    Last edited by Titan24; 5th June 2020 at 18:12.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here we go again, arguments based on wrong assumptions.
    Do you even know how much kohli average against lyon? Before making these claims atleast check.

For sachin fans any bowler who dismisses kohli after getting carted all around the ground becomes his nemesis.
    FYI, lyon averages 55 against kohli. Kohli absolutely dominates lyon, tell me three great bowlers who dominated kohli in tests. You"ll fail to do so.
    Kohli has dominated absolutely every great to good bowler in test arena.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Here we go again, arguments based on wrong assumptions.
    Do you even know how much kohli average against lyon? Before making these claims atleast check.

For sachin fans any bowler who dismisses kohli after getting carted all around the ground becomes his nemesis.
    FYI, lyon averages 55 against kohli. Kohli absolutely dominates lyon, tell me three great bowlers who dominated kohli in tests. You"ll fail to do so.
    Kohli has dominated absolutely every great to good bowler in test arena.
    Don't really care about stats. I have seen him all at sea against lyon even in the last series. Someone else might have picked his wicket but the pressure was created by lyon without doubt.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit Bradman

*wouldnt have been a sitting duck

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen Tendulkar getting struggled against slow left arm bowlers.
    I guess you are talking about ashley giles? It was not struggle per se rather a very negative line bowling. A bowler who genuinely made sachin struggle was ajmal. But that was almost at the end of his career.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't really care about stats. I have seen him all at sea against lyon even in the last series. Someone else might have picked his wicket but the pressure was created by lyon without doubt.
    That's what we call hyperbole, kohli 's record against great bowlers of his era is so good that any Atg will be proud to have that and its much much better than sachin' s.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I understand the frustation of kohli fans. In his own era smith towers above him, while in india a tendukar 7 years after his retirement will get more cheers from the crowd than kohli. Fact is kohli can only become a great batsman like many others, he is never going to become a nation's emotion like tendulkar.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Compare the bowling Viv faced and Viv's strike rate in ODI's.Bradman did not make as many 270 + scores or amassed triple centuries as fast as Sehwag nor score over 350 twice as Lara.Bradmna did not face bolwers like Lillee,Thomson,Donald or Akram or even the fast-medium prowess of Mcgrath.At his best even in tests may not surpass Lara at his best.Do remember how Headley and Hobbs or even Trumper outclassed the Don on wet wickets.Not for nothing did greats like Hanif,Zaheer and Hadleee rank Tendulkar so highly.Bradman on bad wickets has no comparable best efforst to Lara,Tendulkar or Gavaskar nor equalled Viv's explosivity at his best.
    Bradman scored 300 in a day with small bats. 300 vs 375 makes no difference to result. All four of the triple hundred games were drawn. Sehwag's greatest innings is his 201, the size past 200 is irrelevant. Bradman made 1 more score > 270 so you are wrong there. I don't get your point though, as this is Tendulkar vs Bradman and Bradman had 5 test scores > Tendulkar's highest.

With covered wickets, I talked about how Sachin didn't play on them either so it is irrelevant. Bradman has many innings on bad wickets comparable to Sachin. For example this one, playing the match-defining knock on a very bouncy wicket vs Bodyline field placements. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-1932-33, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938 102 to save a draw on a tricky last day pitch

No one in history has equalled Viv's power at his peak. However, Bradman was vastly more consistent so as to make comparison worthless. His strike rate is 61.05, comparable to Kohli and Ponting and greater than Sachin. However we must remember that he had vastly inferior equipment, and general strike-rates were much lower then. He scored quickly, shown by how he is the only person to score 300 in a day

In terms of bowlers, he faced Farnes (test average 29), Larwood (test average 28), Verity (test average 24), Voce (test average 28), Bowes (23), Robins (27). Considering he played a high % of his tests against top oppositon - 71% - imagine Sachin playing 71 % of his cricket, rather than 32% against Aus and Sa. He would have been lucky to average 50

Bradman is statisitcally superior to every batsmen in all statistical categories that are not aggregate based. His only weakness was sticky's, but he was excellent on other types on tricky pitches that we still see today. He is the best by far, and possibly the most dominant sportsman in history

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do remember Tendulkar's best on bad wickets like v Pakistan at Madras in 1999 or in South Africa in 2011.
    I have, and you should note Bradman's excellent performances on bad, non-sticky, pitches

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well analyzed but Sachin played twice as better pace and spin bowling,that too in more diverse conditions.Did Bradman equal Tendulkar's domination of Shane Warne like in 1998 at Madras and Sharjah or taking apart likes of Wasim ,Shoaib and Waqar in 2003 world cup ?Also compare pressure faced .
    Bradman played the GOAT left arm orthodox Verity for most of his career. From memory he also averaged about 70 vs O'Reilly in FC cricket, and O'Reilly is the 3rd greatest spinner of all time

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't forget he didn't played cricket for 6-7 years due to World War.
    Yep, amazing that he managed to come back after 7 years in his 40's and still be the best bat in the world by a mile

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Tendulkar

Tendulkar was an ATG without a doubt but other than playing 200 tests and along with scoring 50 100s with that there is no statistic at the end of his test career which clearly makes him superior to many of his contemporaries.

There are many with better averages all around and better 100s/match ratio. I loved his batting style and the way he played the game however, without any disrespect in terms of stats rather then longevity he is a bit over rated tests in my opinion. Starting at the age of 15 and playing for more than two decades is truly remarkable but cricket is the game of stats he doesnt have the best rather many have better than him in tests. He has played 200 tests abd scored 50 100s but I dont think that stat alone make anyone as superior as many imply in comparison to people with 100-150 tests with better averages and conversion rates.

In ODIs though he was a giant and if we combine both the formats he was really good. However, in tests alone I think there are statistically many better. Yes fans can say he underachieved considering his talent but on the numbers alone unless we are giving more weight to continuing with such consistency for 200 tests, he isnt an outright best.

Bradman

Coming to Bradman while he wasn¬’t playing against as many oppositions and in different conditions as modern day batsmen do but even if we compare his stats to people who were playing at that time and were facing the same conditions and oppositions they were far far behind.

Someone who was so much superior in his time, if he would have born in modern era he would have been a sitting duck as many imply. He had natural skills for the game and if he would have been groomed from a young age with all the modern facilities ge would probably have been a great even in the modern era.

Saying Bradman of 1930s would have struggled against modern bowling is a false comparison as then he would have also been brought up in the modern system with all the equipment, training facilities and bat. Considering how superior he was in his time, there is no doubt that he had the skills and attitude to adapt even in the modern era.

Verdict

In terms of stats and being much more superior than the contemporaries as well I think Don Bradman was greater. If it was only the era that gave Bradman such stats then we would have seen many with such extraordinary batting stats from that time and there is no one near.
    Rational analysis which I appreciate.However it is not only about stats.Combining all forms of cricket Tendulkar was head and shoulders in his generation and only a genius like Lara gave him a run for his money in test cricket.Sachin overshadowed Viv in test cricket also.It must also be considered that Bradman was not the best on wet sticklers as contemporaries like Headley nor at his best against bodyline bowling.

You have made an important point about superiority in respective era which I respect .However remember much fewer played in Bradman's time .Headley overshadowed him on wet wickets, championing cause of much weaker teams and Hobbs scored most of his centuries on more treacherous surfaces before the War.It is mathematically very complex why Hammond averaged so much less .

My final question is would Bradman have scored 100 International centuries and been as consistent as Tendulkar in difficult conditions,facing as much pressure ?Ofcourse it is hypothetical but in terms of pure game Tendulkar looked more complete. Sachin overshadowing Viv and Lara overall speaks for itself.

Do read the analysis of comparison of Hanif Mohammad,Zaheer Abbas or Richard Hadlee which puts the issue in deeper light.Tendulkar's era was far more competitive or challenging.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Merchant hardly played International cricket whatever his overall genius or staggering stats.
    I only considered batsmen with 20,000+ FC runs bro.

Tendulkar has 25,000 FC runs at 57.84 and nobody with more runs than that except Bradman has a better batting average. Not that it matters but batting averages also get thrown around in discussions like this so just giving it a context.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well you stated Sachin had the 2nd best FC average.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/co...ds/284199.html

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I only considered batsmen with 20,000+ FC runs bro.

Tendulkar has 25,000 FC runs at 57.84 and nobody with more runs than that except Bradman has a better batting average. Not that it matters but batting averages also get thrown around in discussions like this so just giving it a context.
    That is a good point, and Tendulkar can def be considered the 2nd best test bat of all time. But Bradman has more runs at an average of almost 40 more so I am not sure how that contributes to this debate

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Envisage facing the Carribaen pace quartet without a helmet like Sunny ?
    I do so every night before I go to bed, and my conclusion is that it is slightly easier than facing Larwood with 6 men behind square on the leg side on a bouncy wicket

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you compare with Bradman?
    I dont actually because its not a fair comparison. Cricket has changed a lot since the days when Bradman used to play and this comparison does not make much sense.

As someone mentioned, if you make relative comparison then sure Bradman is way better with 99 test avg.

But then there is much more to this story. Cricket back in the day were lazy sunday afternoon colonial sport with atrocious fitness level of players in their mid 40s. It was not a competitve sport back then as we know today.

Bradman only ever batted in 2 country - at home (in Aust) and in Eng. He only played against 4 teams and 1 format. He never had to come to the Sub continent and play on a minefield. He never had to change his game based on formats in every series. You have to leave 5th stump balls in test cricket but the same length is played for cover drive in ODIs. Bradman never had to made those minute changes every series because he only played in 1 format.

Sachin played in an era where there was enormous pressure on him to deliver. The entire Indian batting used to depend on him and he batted with expectation of billions in every game. Never Bradman had to bat under such scrutiny.

Sachin played in an era of camera's where every team can find out you weakness by watching videos and plan accordingly. No such back when Bradman had played.

India plays most amount of matches in modern era. Sachin played non stop cricket, travelling every part of the world, aclimitizing in different condtions and yet never let his performance drop. Bradman played only 52 games in 20 years.

Lastly, Sachin faced much better bowlers than Bradman ever had. Mcgrath, Wasim, Steyn, Murali, Warne...you name it. Dealing with doosras, knuckle ball, slower bouncer, reverse swing etc. were not invented back in Bradman's days.

So If you just comparing cricinfo stats, the obviously Bradman is better. But for the reasons above, I would rate Sachin as the best batsman to have ever played the game until now.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Among the greatest batsmen to ever play the game, Tendulkar arguably was the worst athlete, and unfortunate to have had the worst body type.

I rely mostly on what i saw, and i really spent a lot of my time in my life watching cricket, more so for Sachin and he was the best batting talent i have ever seen. The shots he had, the way he executed them, the overall command he had on different types of bowlers on different surfaces across formats, i have not seen Lara/Ponting/Kohli (the other 3 in my book) match it.

Most of Tendulkar;s SENA centuries were quite remarkable and unforgettable.

One test hundred that stuck in my memory is when he unleashed the upper cut at Bloemfontein in 2001 against Ntini and co

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That is a good point, and Tendulkar can def be considered the 2nd best test bat of all time. But Bradman has more runs at an average of almost 40 more so I am not sure how that contributes to this debate
    I think most people are rather than happy to concede Bradman is the best ever. Its a debate no one really wants in India.

At the end of the day, its the respect you earn in the game. Tendulkar surpassed Gavaskar in many statistics but it never made Gavaskar any lesser. He's also our hero.

We hope to see Kohli get there. He still has a long way to catch up with Smith in tests

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sachin Tendulkar

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think most people are rather than happy to concede Bradman is the best ever. Its a debate no one really wants in India.

At the end of the day, its the respect you earn in the game. Tendulkar surpassed Gavaskar in many statistics but it never made Gavaskar any lesser. He's also our hero.

We hope to see Kohli get there. He still has a long way to catch up with Smith in tests
    Agree entirely about the respect. As an Aussie, Kohli already has it because we respect players who take the fight to the opposition, which kohli does. Gavaskar, Kohli, Sachin are definitely our top three Indian cricketers, gavaskar is admired for the Lillee incident

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Why?

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bradman is ahead of every other great batsman, whether it be Sachin, Sobers, Viv, Pollock or Lara.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In respect Tendulkar for the fact that he took the fight to the bullies among the bowlers. Sometimes he won the battle, sometimes he lost, but rarely did he shy away from challenges.

For a small man with the kind of image he had, he was actually a very expressive batsman.

He tore apart WI, Murlaitharan in 1996 world cup. He did not have to take ownership in 1998 to slog sweep Shane Warne out of the attack but he did. In 2000 ICC knock out he did not have to charge McGrath and hit him for six over his head but that was the plan discussed in the meeting that you can never allow McGrath to go away with a 6 overs, 4 runs, 2 wickets spell. That day it worked in Kenya, the other day in 2003 WC final it didn't on a much flatter surface for batting. That's cricket. Hooking Caddick out of the park after he had a few things to say in pre-patch talk, Upper cutting Shoaib for six, smashing him out of his spell in 1st over itself, Brett Lee coped a fair bit from him, so did Dale Steyn

Point being, Tendulkar was skilled and smart enough to walk out of the contests mentioned above by playing safe and still scoring bucket load of runs but that is not what would have made him the absolute heart beat of Indian people.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very poor logic. Tendulkar scored 51 centuries in 200 test matches i.e. 0.25 century/ match. While Bradman scored 29 centuries in 52 matches i.e. 0.56. More than twice is the ratio of Bradman as compared to Tendu. He was far ahead then his peers while Tendu was almost on par with Lara, Ponting for most part of his playing career, only Longevity is the factor that gives Tendu edge over his contemporaries. Tendu is an undoubtably one of the greats of game , but Don is the actual Don of cricket , no comparison.
    Last edited by Godhelpma; 5th June 2020 at 21:31.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Nobody could play on sticky dogs. That was why Hutton would reverse the batting order, send the bowlers in first to use up time and then come in at #7 when the wicket had dried.

Nobody could bat against Fast Leg Theory, which is why they outlawed it, except Bradman who averaged 56 in the Bodyline series, more that Hammond and Sutcliffe who didn’t face that type of bowling and field setting, because the Aussies refused to apply it.

If you are going to select a very small and specific subset of tests to make Bradman look bad, you might as well say never overlook how Tendulkar was overshadowed by Dravid, Cook and Pietersen because he didn’t score many runs against England in 2011 and 2012.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viv

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not even a worthwhile question, answer is Sachin.

How many upcoming players want to play like Sachin? How many upcoming players want to successful like Sachin? Bradman is of another era, he was and will be most respected but his influence is limited due to his era.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nobody could play on sticky dogs. That was why Hutton would reverse the batting order, send the bowlers in first to use up time and then come in at #7 when the wicket had dried.

Nobody could bat against Fast Leg Theory, which is why they outlawed it, except Bradman who averaged 56 in the Bodyline series, more that Hammond and Sutcliffe who didn’t face that type of bowling and field setting, because the Aussies refused to apply it.

If you are going to select a very small and specific subset of tests to make Bradman look bad, you might as well say never overlook how Tendulkar was overshadowed by Dravid, Cook and Pietersen because he didn’t score many runs against England in 2011 and 2012.
    Sorry if a little off the topic but Jack Hobbs mastered the sticky dogs and George Headley.Infact st one stage it was Bradman who was called the White Headley.Do refer to cricket writers on this.I doubt whether Bradman would negotiate express pace as well as Viv or be as destructive in ODI Cricket.To me Tendulkars 100 International centuries speaks for itself.Compare the relative competitiveness of Sachin's era.In tests at his best Bradman may not have surpassed Brian Lara.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someone21 View Post

How many upcoming players want to play like Sachin? How many upcoming players want to successful like Sachin? Bradman is of another era, he was and will be most respected but his influence is limited due to his era.
    Does this means he was less good

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rational analysis which I appreciate.However it is not only about stats.Combining all forms of cricket Tendulkar was head and shoulders in his generation and only a genius like Lara gave him a run for his money in test cricket.Sachin overshadowed Viv in test cricket also.It must also be considered that Bradman was not the best on wet sticklers as contemporaries like Headley nor at his best against bodyline bowling.

You have made an important point about superiority in respective era which I respect .However remember much fewer played in Bradman's time .Headley overshadowed him on wet wickets, championing cause of much weaker teams and Hobbs scored most of his centuries on more treacherous surfaces before the War.It is mathematically very complex why Hammond averaged so much less .

My final question is would Bradman have scored 100 International centuries and been as consistent as Tendulkar in difficult conditions,facing as much pressure ?Ofcourse it is hypothetical but in terms of pure game Tendulkar looked more complete. Sachin overshadowing Viv and Lara overall speaks for itself.

Do read the analysis of comparison of Hanif Mohammad,Zaheer Abbas or Richard Hadlee which puts the issue in deeper light.Tendulkar's era was far more competitive or challenging.
    Bradman scored 100 FC centuries in significantly less matches than anyone else. Despite playing 80 more matches he scored 36 more hundreds. Youm do not seem to be responding to me points, just reposting your useless drivel, so I am going to put them in bold

1. While Bradman was not the best on sticky wickets, there is a very, very small sample size. Furthermore, it is completely irrelevant to this discussion, as Tendulkar never played on them either. Bradman however played many great innings on tricky pitches, like these ones

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-1932-33, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938

2. Bradman played many great bowlers, you only do not see them as such due to your lack of knowledge about the time period. He played against Verity, Bedser, Larwood, Laker, Farnes and Tate. Of these, Verity, Larwood, Verity, Laker and Tate are all contenders for an all time England XI. @Robert will most likely back me up here. He also faced two of the five greatest spinners in history, Grimmett and O'Reilly, and by all accounts did very well

Also for this, see the wonderful video posted about Ted McDonald, and remember that the fast bowlers listed above were all considered his vast superior. The bowlers he faced could bowl quick and well

3. People use bodyline to bring him down, but he still averaged 56. With boundaries longer than today, as well as worse bats and most importantly 6 fielders behind square, it was impossible for Bradman to hook consistently. He still topped the averages due to his adaptability, and his average of 56 under these conditions is greater than Sachin's career average

4. Yes, Tendulkar scored 100 international hundreds, but he played on against the good of the team to do so. If Bradman had played as many tests as Tendulkar he would've scored 112 test hundreds. This shows how much better he was; he scored hundreds more than twice as often as Tendulkar

5. Bradman was a not a slow scorer by any measurement. Davis estimates he scored at 61.5 which is comparable to Ponting and Lara, and greater than Tendulkar. This is coming in an era with generally slower scoring rates caused by inferior equipment and long boundaries. Remember he scored 300 in a day

6. Bradman had a penchant for big scores more than anyone ever. He has 5 scores more than Tendulkar's highest, and his 12 double centuries remains more than anyone else, despite other having played significantly more tests than he did.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The OP is a false comparison to begin with. Why mention Tendulkar's ODI stats when ODIs never existed in Bradman's era?

And for the record, it was Gavaskar who first broke Bradman's record of 29 centuries first.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was better than all of them. Technique, skill, longevity, runs and ability to carry the team single handedly would favour tenda. This coming from a guy who doesnt even like tenda.

In saying that kalis to me is the best ever from post 90s era. He is a slightly inferior batsman to tenda but he contributes more overall due to being one of the best all rounders of all time.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bradman scored 100 FC centuries in significantly less matches than anyone else. Despite playing 80 more matches he scored 36 more hundreds. Youm do not seem to be responding to me points, just reposting your useless drivel, so I am going to put them in bold

1. While Bradman was not the best on sticky wickets, there is a very, very small sample size. Furthermore, it is completely irrelevant to this discussion, as Tendulkar never played on them either. Bradman however played many great innings on tricky pitches, like these ones

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-1932-33, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938, https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1938

2. Bradman played many great bowlers, you only do not see them as such due to your lack of knowledge about the time period. He played against Verity, Bedser, Larwood, Laker, Farnes and Tate. Of these, Verity, Larwood, Verity, Laker and Tate are all contenders for an all time England XI. @Robert will most likely back me up here. He also faced two of the five greatest spinners in history, Grimmett and O'Reilly, and by all accounts did very well

Also for this, see the wonderful video posted about Ted McDonald, and remember that the fast bowlers listed above were all considered his vast superior. The bowlers he faced could bowl quick and well

3. People use bodyline to bring him down, but he still averaged 56. With boundaries longer than today, as well as worse bats and most importantly 6 fielders behind square, it was impossible for Bradman to hook consistently. He still topped the averages due to his adaptability, and his average of 56 under these conditions is greater than Sachin's career average

4. Yes, Tendulkar scored 100 international hundreds, but he played on against the good of the team to do so. If Bradman had played as many tests as Tendulkar he would've scored 112 test hundreds. This shows how much better he was; he scored hundreds more than twice as often as Tendulkar

5. Bradman was a not a slow scorer by any measurement. Davis estimates he scored at 61.5 which is comparable to Ponting and Lara, and greater than Tendulkar. This is coming in an era with generally slower scoring rates caused by inferior equipment and long boundaries. Remember he scored 300 in a day

6. Bradman had a penchant for big scores more than anyone ever. He has 5 scores more than Tendulkar's highest, and his 12 double centuries remains more than anyone else, despite other having played significantly more tests than he did.

pointless comparison. Different era. Weak amateur era. Poor athlete era. Not worth talking about.

Bradman was a great of his era. tenda likewise for his era. Just an asinine comparison by the all time great harsh thakor as usual.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody could bat against Fast Leg Theory, which is why they outlawed it, except Bradman who averaged 56 in the Bodyline series, more that Hammond and Sutcliffe who didnít face that type of bowling and field setting, because the Aussies refused to apply it.

If you are going to select a very small and specific subset of tests to make Bradman look bad, you might as well say never overlook how Tendulkar was overshadowed by Dravid, Cook and Pietersen because he didnít score many runs against England in 2011 and 2012.
    yes because tenda was clearly in his prime in 2011 and 2012.
    Even a decrepit old tenda was able to do well vs a fully fit prime steyn in 2010 just before he was affected by the reccurence of the tennis elbow issue that inhibited him from performing at his best.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another thing@Harsh Thakor

You state in the op that you have a hard time visualising Bradman having the appetite for big scores of Sehwag or Lara. Is that because he far exceeded them in this regard so they cannot be compared

You also mention Bradman not having faced top spinners. He faced 4 of the top 6 spinners ever; O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity and Laker

You also state Tendulkar had broken all aggregate records by the age of 25. This is a blatant lie, as he had not yet even scored 6996 test runs

Your OP is also very contradictory. You state that Bradman didn't have competition from peers like Tendulkar did from Ponting, Lara and Kallis etc. Hammond and Headley are top 10 batsmen of all time by most metrics, but I guess they didn't compete with Bradman given he was so much better. You also say that they would be closer to him these days. YOur evidence for this is completely stupid, saying that they were better on sticky's which don't exist today. You also state that McCabe was better in bodyline, which is untrue. He played an ATG innings but in general was inferior to Bradman, displayed by Bradman's much higher average.
    You also say Bradman is only ahead of a whisker in temparement which is wrong. it was either his significantly superior skill, or temparement that allowed him to score so many more runs. You choose

Lastly, you list Tendulkar's great innings and say Bradman could not have played them, but say nothing on Bradman's more numerous great innings. It seems like you have a very limited knowledge of Bradman. You are also comparing Bradman to the best attributes of like 10 different batsmen when the comparison is Bradman vs Tendulkar which is completely disingenuous by using the combined feats of multiple players to prove one of them is better than Bradman

Got a good laugh though by reading that Bradman was better in world cups. Should Bradman have played into his 60's so he could play in 75'

Sachin should be considered significantly better than guys like Viv and Sobers before being considered anywhere near Bradman.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    pointless comparison. Different era. Weak amateur era. Poor athlete era. Not worth talking about.

Bradman was a great of his era. tenda likewise for his era. Just an asinine comparison by the all time great harsh thakor as usual.
    While I disagree as Bradman was so much ahead of his era, this is a better point that anything @Harsh Thakor has made

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There are only four legendary batsmen the game has seen.

1. Don Bradman
    2. Viv Richards
    3. Sachin Tendulkar
    4. AB de Villiers

Rest all try to follow the footsteps of these. Don't get confused by my avatar, it can also be Allan Border fan. But the four names I said are truly the most iconic batsmen the game has ever seen.

Even our beloved Bhaijaan agrees with me .

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pleas without fail participate here. @Junaids @MMHS cherish your views.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another thing@Harsh Thakor

You state in the op that you have a hard time visualising Bradman having the appetite for big scores of Sehwag or Lara. Is that because he far exceeded them in this regard so they cannot be compared

You also mention Bradman not having faced top spinners. He faced 4 of the top 6 spinners ever; O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity and Laker

You also state Tendulkar had broken all aggregate records by the age of 25. This is a blatant lie, as he had not yet even scored 6996 test runs

Your OP is also very contradictory. You state that Bradman didn't have competition from peers like Tendulkar did from Ponting, Lara and Kallis etc. Hammond and Headley are top 10 batsmen of all time by most metrics, but I guess they didn't compete with Bradman given he was so much better. You also say that they would be closer to him these days. YOur evidence for this is completely stupid, saying that they were better on sticky's which don't exist today. You also state that McCabe was better in bodyline, which is untrue. He played an ATG innings but in general was inferior to Bradman, displayed by Bradman's much higher average.
    You also say Bradman is only ahead of a whisker in temparement which is wrong. it was either his significantly superior skill, or temparement that allowed him to score so many more runs. You choose

Lastly, you list Tendulkar's great innings and say Bradman could not have played them, but say nothing on Bradman's more numerous great innings. It seems like you have a very limited knowledge of Bradman. You are also comparing Bradman to the best attributes of like 10 different batsmen when the comparison is Bradman vs Tendulkar which is completely disingenuous by using the combined feats of multiple players to prove one of them is better than Bradman

Got a good laugh though by reading that Bradman was better in world cups. Should Bradman have played into his 60's so he could play in 75'

Sachin should be considered significantly better than guys like Viv and Sobers before being considered anywhere near Bradman.
    Never forget there is case for even Jack Hobbs or Viv Richards to be compared to Bradman.Some rank Hobbs ahead in all types of conditions.197 centuries and 61237 runs with most innings in et pitches before the 1st world war.

I stated that Tendulkar was the youngest to reach the respective thousand run landmarks which is accurate.

Bradman even of overall ahaed of Mcabe never treated that bolwing with the disdan of Viv at his best or defectively as Gavaskar or Amarnath at his best.

BRadman no doubt played outstanding innings with more ruthlessness.However if you scale era in term sof class of bowing and fielding would not surpass Tendulkar's scoring rate.Nor would he surpass the best innings of Tendulkar playing Shane Warne,Alan Donald or Wasim Akram,including ODI's.

Would Bradman have scored 100 international centuries and 0ver 30000 runs in International cricket?This is what made Tendulkar head and shoulders ahead in his era.No credibility to views of Hanif,Hadlee or Zaheer?

True Bradman had superstars in is time but nowhere as many as Tendulkar did nor comparable bowling.Is it not noteworthy thta Headley outscored him on wet wickets?This is the analysis of cricket historians.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someone21 View Post

So being popular in India makes you the best batsman of all time.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sorry if a little off the topic but Jack Hobbs mastered the sticky dogs and George Headley.Infact st one stage it was Bradman who was called the White Headley.Do refer to cricket writers on this.I doubt whether Bradman would negotiate express pace as well as Viv or be as destructive in ODI Cricket.To me Tendulkars 100 International centuries speaks for itself.Compare the relative competitiveness of Sachin's era.In tests at his best Bradman may not have surpassed Brian Lara.
    This sticky argument is a red herring. There were very few of these because something had to go wrong with pitch preparation to produce one. They killed the game as a spectacle and endangered the batsmen. Last wet wicket in a test (1977?) was an accident which resulted in six Indians getting injured and unable to take the field.

I think Hobbs and Bradman faced each other in one series so their careers did not really overlap. Hobbs never faced Bodyline.

That Caribbean writers called Bradman The White Headley is neither here nor there. One averaged 60, the other 99.94.

I donít believe the modern era is any more competitive than the 1930s certainly in England and Australia. Probably less so. Life was very hard and competition for County places furious, to get out of the mines and the factories that had a good chance of killing or maiming the workers. The local leagues were stuffed with good players scrapping like mad to advance.