User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

“I will not be contesting the election for ICC Chairman" : Ehsan Mani [Post#24]

Karachi: The chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Ehsan Mani, is under consideration for the next chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC), ARY News reported.

According to the sources, few of the ICC Board members have contacted Mani and assured full support to him to become the new ICC chairman. The board members think that Mani can resolve the financial issues of the world’s cricket governing body.

Remember, currently, Mani is heading Finance & Commercial Affairs in the ICC, one of its most powerful committees.

On the other hand, current chairman Shashank Manohar wants Saurav Ganguly, the President of Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI), to take over his post after his tenure ends in July.

It is pertinent to mention here that Manohar had already decided to not take any extension in his regime. On Wednesday, the ICC will discuss the process of electing a new chairman via teleconference.

https://arysports.tv/icc-board-membe...mani-chairman/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No way Mani can beat Ganguly. Ganguly will take Indian nationalism and boasting, flaunting India's financial might to new levels

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    No way Mani can beat Ganguly. Ganguly will take Indian nationalism and boasting, flaunting India's financial might to new levels
    Yes, agreed. The probability is remote that the BCCI will allow other members to vote in someone that could potentially give the PCB a bigger say in ICC matters.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hypothetically if Ehsan Mani does take the chairmanship of ICC, does that mean he will no longer be the chairman of PCB?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a powerless position that has little to no say within the ICC. I don't see what has to gain from taking this position when he has already served many years in the ICC with distinction.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Regardless what Mani decides, Ganguly will likely be chosen. But it depends if Ganguly himself wants to take this role on.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Will be great news if Mani is chosen so IK may choose someone strong personality as PCB chief.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mani needs to finish his job at the PCB.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Mani is useless and only good for powerless positions, so I think he can be a good fit.

“The board members think that Mani can resolve the financial issues of the world’s cricket governing body.”

So Mani cannot resolve ICC’s financial issues as the current head of finance & commercial affairs in the ICC?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    My Dad lived in Pakistan’s second city, Dacca, for the first 19 years of Pakistan’s existence. He had been born there 7 years before Partition and he always felt much more affiliation to West Bengal than West Pakistan.

So I’d be delighted to have a Bengali head of world cricket.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Yes, agreed. The probability is remote that the BCCI will allow other members to vote in someone that could potentially give the PCB a bigger say in ICC matters.
    All members are free to vote the way they want. No one has the authority to force anyone.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Mani is useless and only good for powerless positions, so I think he can be a good fit.

“The board members think that Mani can resolve the financial issues of the world’s cricket governing body.”

So Mani cannot resolve ICC’s financial issues as the current head of finance & commercial affairs in the ICC?
    Excellent point. He is already in charge of finance at ICC and has not been able to resolve anything.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U$ofA View Post
    All members are free to vote the way they want. No one has the authority to force anyone.
    Of course, they are free to vote as they want, how naive can one be to get bogged down in semantics.

There will be intense lobbying going on behind the scenes, if Ganguly wants this position it's as good as his.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 9th June 2020 at 16:33.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Of course, they are free to vote as they want, how naive can one be to get bogged down in semantics.

There will be intense lobbying going on behind the scenes, if Ganguly wants this position it's as good as his.
    And he will get it because others voted for him on their own will. Also because there is something in it for them as well. In fact that is the primary reason the votes are cast. Something in return. We all live in the real world.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1769 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Question is, whether Ganguly is willing? News vine has it that he may be in for a huge political post in India. If he takes that, can he still be ICC chairman?

Ganguly has all the qualifications, Fantastic players,very good captain, has administration experience of running the CAB and BCCI.But is he ready to take the post?

Mani too is well qualified to hold the post, but is he willing to fight the election?

This ICC election most likely will not be uncontested.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    CHENNAI: A day before Wednesday’s online ICC meeting to finalise the electoral process for choosing its next chairman, Pakistan Cricket Board’s Ehsan Mani emerged a potential challenger to Colin Graves. It is believed that the current regime led by outgoing chairman Shashank Manohar thinks Mani’s election will keep intact the current financial model which has benefited the smaller boards. This is not guaranteed if Graves is elected.

The BCCI has ambitions of fielding its own candidate, but there is no clear indication whether president Sourav Ganguly will join the race. The BCCI is trying to gauge the situation, but an Indian replacing another may complicate matters.

Outgoing England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Graves was earlier seen as the favourite to succeed Manohar, with Singapore representative Imran Khwaja expected to give him competition. Khwaja played a role in stopping the Big Three from taking over ICC, but being the representative of an Associate nation queers the pitch for him.

Mani is a former ICC president, who was PCB’s representative in ICC from 1989 to 1996. He was also part of various committees. Sources close to Mani didn’t rule out the possibility and one understands that he has the backing of current members.

“It’s important to continue the work done by Manohar, which has brought stability in member boards. If we disrupt it, it will be a setback for many. There is time for filing nominations and it will be a long process. We’ll know in the coming days,” sources said.

Mani’s candidature will be seen as a blow for BCCI, which aspires to take control of the ICC post Covid. While it plans to get support by committing to tours, ICC members are wary that BCCI might change the revenue sharing model. The ICC is unlikely to take a decision on the T20 World Cup in Australia in Wednesday’s meeting. While Cricket Australia is expected to reveal its stand, a decision is unlikely until a new chairman is elected.

ACC meeting

The PCB handed over hosting rights of this year’s Asia Cup to Sri Lanka at Monday’s Asian Cricket Council meeting. A final decision will be taken once the ICC decides on the T20 World Cup. It may become an ODI event if the T20 World Cup is not held this year.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...c-2154654.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Those tracking developments say the impending decision over the T20 World Cup, the ethics inquiry, and the sharp email-exchange between BCCI and ICC over tax issues are all related to July’s ICC elections. The wait keeps the Indian cricket board, who are hoping that the World Cup is deferred or cancelled so the IPL can be held in that window, on the edge.

“Everyone is waiting for them to make a decision about the World Cup. It’s about time a decision is arrived at, since boards have their bilateral calendar to attend to,” said BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal.

At an Asian cricket council (ACC) meeting on Monday, a decision to postpone the Asia Cup was also deferred, although pulling off a six-nation competition in three months time looks improbable. Pakistan cricket board (PCB) Chairman Ehsan Mani is reportedly considering running for the ICC Chairmanship. Mani also heads ICC’s Finance and Commercial affairs committee, where there is no BCCI representation. BCCI blames current ICC chairman Shashank Manohar of wiping out India’s presence from the crucial committee that deals with ICC finances, with the help of Mani. Manohar, after he became ICC Chairman, also scuttled the proposed “Big Three” formula, that would have given BCCI significantly more revenue share from the ICC..

The England and Wales cricket board (ECB) Chairman Colin Graves is the front runner to replace Manohar in July. That is if he gets BCCI support. The Indian board is not revealing its stance, but BCCI president Sourav Ganguly’s name has been doing the rounds for the ICC Chair as well.

If it is decided that the T20 World Cup needs to be postponed, an alternate window will also have to be found for it. Cricket Australia prefers to postpone it to October 2021, but next year is India’s turn to host a T20 World Cup, and BCCI will not want to mess with that.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...XMHnYQaYI.html

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Question is, whether Ganguly is willing? News vine has it that he may be in for a huge political post in India. If he takes that, can he still be ICC chairman?

Ganguly has all the qualifications, Fantastic players,very good captain, has administration experience of running the CAB and BCCI.But is he ready to take the post?

Mani too is well qualified to hold the post, but is he willing to fight the election?

This ICC election most likely will not be uncontested.
    Why does Ganguly want to get a demotion just to fix Manohar's doings?
    Last edited by JaDed; 11th June 2020 at 07:46.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1769 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Why does Ganguly want to get a demotion just to fix Manohar's doings?
    Two reasons,

Supreme court order on Lodha reforms say Ganguly has to go for a cooling off period in July. If SC doesn't modify the order, Ganguly has to quit the post anyway. So ICC chairmanship is a good replacement, unless ofcourse he gets into politics.

Secondly, Bcci doesn't want Manohar or any of his men to be Chairman. Manohar first tried Imran Khawaza but test nations were not in favour of an associate taking over. Next gambit is Mani, as he will be going against Bcci.

Manohar is trying his best get things done before he leaves, as its not guaranteed that his candidate will win.

He tried taking away the tournament rights from Bcci, but when the actual meeting happened, Bcci had the votes to get an extension.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Two reasons,

Supreme court order on Lodha reforms say Ganguly has to go for a cooling off period in July. If SC doesn't modify the order, Ganguly has to quit the post anyway. So ICC chairmanship is a good replacement, unless ofcourse he gets into politics.

Secondly, Bcci doesn't want Manohar or any of his men to be Chairman. Manohar first tried Imran Khawaza but test nations were not in favour of an associate taking over. Next gambit is Mani, as he will be going against Bcci.

Manohar is trying his best get things done before he leaves, as its not guaranteed that his candidate will win.

He tried taking away the tournament rights from Bcci, but when the actual meeting happened, Bcci had the votes to get an extension.
    Ok I can't wait to just get rid of him, hate seeing Manohar's name anywhere worst thing to happen to Indian cricket in my lifetime other than fixing in 90s.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Karachi, Jun 17 (PTI) The PCB chairman Ehsan Mani on Wednesday made it clear that he doesn''t intend to contest for the post of ICC chairman, insisting that his main focus is to bring about a change in Pakistan cricket.

Referring to recent media reports that he was a strong candidate to head the ICC and would contest for the post with BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly after the end of Shashank Manohar''s tenure in July, Mani said he had been brought back into cricket administration by Prime Minister Imran Khan to correct and improve Pakistan''s cricket set-up.

"Imran had asked me to come and work in Pakistan cricket. I have stayed away from cricket for nearly 12 years since my last term as ICC chief. So I didn''t come back into the game to serve ICC but only Pakistan cricket," the veteran cricket administrator said.

Mani admitted that some ICC members had requested him to contest for the post of ICC chairman but it is not in his agenda.

"I have come to serve Pakistan cricket that is all. My agenda is not the ICC."

Mani had served as head of the ICC between 2003 and 2006.

The PCB chief also made it clear that the board had not kept any condition for touring England.

"We have not asked them for a tour in return or anything like that because right now our main thrust was to ensure resumption of world cricket and nothing else," Mani said.

https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...s-mani/1869234

Mani said he was confident that England will tour Pakistan in 2021-22.

"And this tour will also be good for our players." PTI

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    ICC chairmanship is a ceremonial post

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    ICC chairmanship is a ceremonial post
    You are probably right. Head of ICC is kind of a symbolic position.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    PCB chairman Ehsan Mani, who is looked as an aspirant to take over as the ICC chief, has pulled out of the race, according to Mumbai Mirror. This means now that the way for Sourav Ganguly to become the head of the apex body becomes clear, only if he wants to contest the elections.

Talking about the development, Mani said, “It is true that I will not be contesting the election. I have announced it in the media also. I was never interested. The news actually came from India. I was approached by a few to contest and I have said I am not interested."

Asked about Ganguly's chances Mani said, he wasn't sure of the Indian's candidature.

“Not to my knowledge,” he said and then added, “I do not know if he is contesting. My stint with the ICC is over after I left it in 2006. And when I stood in the ICC election, I was elected unopposed. No one stood against me.”

He further said, “My interest in the ICC will only be through Pakistan Cricket Board. I was called by Prime Minister Imran Khan and I am working for the interest of Pakistan cricket,” he said.

The ICC is yet to come out with a selection process for the candidates. Current head, Shashank Manohar's term is supposed to end this July and these two names have been doing the rounds.

The BCCI has still not made it clear whether Ganguly will contest the elections or not. “Let the ICC announce the procedure, then we will take a call,” said Arun Singh Dhumal, the BCCI treasurer.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...y-2674977.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman, Ehsan Mani expressed grave doubts on Wednesday that this year’s ICC T20 World Cup will be postponed for a year at least because of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.

Talking to a selected group of reporters via video link, the PCB chief remarked the uncertain situation across the globe has derailed the day-to-day life and termed staging of the global competition as a huge risk from health’s point of view.

“The biggest challenge that the Australian government is facing these days are the restrictions it has put in place on travel. They are extremely cautious in dealing with the prevailing circumstances because of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. It would be a massive risk and if God forbid, any of the players contracts Covid-19, that would lead to great panic everywhere,” Mani said.

“And although there have been much less casualties as compared to rest of the world, it would be very, very demanding to host teams competing in the T20 World Cup. Logistically speaking, I fear that a postponement is imminent at this point in time because it’s not a small matter of couple of countries but as many as 15 of them, apart from the host nation [Australia] will be participating. Travelling will be the biggest concern and there’ll be other related issues as well. That’s I think it is almost impossible for the event to be played this year on schedule.

“I’m saying through my regular contacts with the ICC because I’m chairman of the finance committee there. The ICC, therefore, will look for a window next year to hold the competition because I don’t think it will be feasible that we will see any ICC tournament taking place in 2020, and will probably be deferred for at least a year,” the 75-year-old cricket administrator, who is a charted accountant by profession, went on.

“The ICC have lined up another World Twenty [for men] in 2021 and the 50-over World Cup in 2023. Both those events are slated to be hosted by India. But if the coming T20 World T20 is put off then new plans have to be drawn up by the ICC unless the current situation changes dramatically and the tournament goes ahead this year itself in bio-secure conditions [no fans allowed at the matches and social distancing rules for the players] It’s a dicey situation because the stakeholders have to e taken on board before reaching a final verdict whether to go ahead [with the tournament].

The PCB chairman clarified that Pakistan are going to play in England without any pre-conditions with the ECB (England & Wales Cricket Board) to ensure the England visit here on reciprocal basis. “I’ll make it clear once and for all we in the PCB have not set any pre-conditions whatever in agreeing to play in England. On the contrary we are helping the ECB in restarting international cricket after this very long break because of the Covid-19 pandemic,” Mani stressed.

“The media can say and write whatever they want but from our perspective PCB is not forcing the ECB to send their team to Pakistan as conditions for this summer’s series. These are critical times at every sphere of life and we are just helping ECB in resumption of top international cricket. The West Indies are already there and we’ll also do the same in a bio-secure atmosphere necessitated by global spreading of Covid-19. England are due to tour Pakistan in 2021-22 as per the ICC Future Tours Programme and as far we understand that series is on.”

Mani dispelled the impression that he would be interested in becoming the chairman of International Cricket Council (ICC) for a second time — after having served the global body for a three-year term from 2003 to 2006.

“This is just speculation on part of the media and frankly speaking, I have no such desire to take over [as the ICC chairman] once again, although I’m currently on a committee in the ICC. I was away from cricket for a good period until Prime Minister Imran Khan [patron of the cricket board] nominated me [in August 2018] for the position of PCB chairman,” he clarified. “Therefore, it is obviously not my agenda to become chief of the ICC at this point in time.”

Mani further said he met the Prime Minister in a routine meeting to discuss matters pertaining to the game. “These meetings are generally held off-the-record on one-to-one contact. The only thing I can share with you that we discussed domestic cricket because the associations are not yet registered under the present [PCB] setup totally because of bureaucratic hassles and we are facing problems in moving forward to make the sport more viable [for all stakeholders] at the domestic level.

“But at the same time I’ll repeat that although departments have played a very important role in Pakistan cricket for a lengthy period of time, this is not a sustainable model because it isn’t the case elsewhere [in the cricketing world] and department cricket was not producing players from the grassroots level. People, perhaps are not in favour of changes and all they want is status quo.

“Our system has got to be professionalise like Australia where only six states compete and yet they keep on producing world-class players purely through their domestic cricket. Until we do that, Pakistan will perform inconsistently at the international level. Just go through the past many years and you’ll our team doing well on and off without playing consistently good cricket. The reason is simple: lack of strong backup for the retiring players.”

Mani also reiterated the law to punish match and spot fixers is being framed in shape of a bill through the federal parliament.

“Moreover, we are still in the process of framing final draft to be enacted as a law to act against issues related to match and spot fixing. Once the legislation on this very vital issue is finalised the matter will be whetted through the law ministry before being legalised like it is in the United Kingdom and Sri Lanka. This way fixing will become criminalise and culprits caught and proved will be sent to jail just like [Mohammad] Amir and company were jailed for the 2010 spot-fixing.”

Meanwhile, Mani conceded that it will be difficult to stage the remaining three matches — both semi-finals and the final — of Pakistan Super League (PSL) because of the uncertainties and logistics issues after the fifth edition was abruptly postponed by the Covid-19 outbreak last March.

“One cannot say for sure whether we will be able to complete the tournament. Finding slot in the schedule is one thing but there will be logistics problems like travelling of foreign players of the remaining teams and the broadcasting crew members,” he said. “We have a busy season in 2020-21 coming with Pakistan due to play several bilateral series and one can’t say with conviction whether those PSL fixtures could be slotted in somewhere.”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1564207/t2...-pandemic-mani

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So it seems the road is clear for Ganguly to be Chairman ICC.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    So it seems the road is clear for Ganguly to be Chairman ICC.
    Seems to be the case - will Pakistan have a view on this?

==

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has announced that they would support Indian candidate Sourav Ganguly as the next Chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

“The SLC will lend support to BCCI President, Sourav Ganguly, if he desires to be the ICC Chairman; and, if he doesn’t wish to be appointed to the position and the BCCI nominates anyone from India, we will continue to favour anyone with our support,” a top SLC official told the Daily News yesterday.

Earlier, the SLC said that they would promote Kumar Sangakkara for this post. However, the former Sri Lankan Captain and current MCC President stated that he holds no interest in being promoted by anyone.

Former BCCI President Shashank Manohar is the current Chairman of the ICC, but he has previously said that he doesn’t wish to seek any further extension.

However, the BCCI is yet to reveal their candidate for ICC top post, with two top board members, Anurag Thakur and N. Srinivasan, also in contention for the title.

Moreover, a couple of top names from other ICC Member Countries have been put forward by the Board Members for this post.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) Director of Cricket, Graeme Smith, had also expressed his support for Ganguly to be the next ICC Chairman.

Former President of the Singapore Cricket Association and ICC’s Deputy Chairman, Imran Khawaja; England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) Chairman, Colin Graves; and former Chairman ECB, Giles Clarke; are believed to be in contention and have backing from a few other Board Members.

http://dailynews.lk/2020/06/19/sport...e-icc-top-post

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Ganguly resign as president of the BCCI? Isn't the BCCI seat more powerful and the ICC post just a ceremonial one?

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Deliberation on the nomination process for its next chairman will top the agenda when the International Cricket Council's all-powerful Board converges via video-conference on Thursday. With the ICC already making it clear that a final decision on the fate of this year's T20 World Cup will be taken next month, the primary agenda of discussion will be the nomination process for the chairman's election. The post is currently held by India's Shashank Manohar.

"I am still not sure whether the date of election (or selection) will be announced tomorrow or not. Obviously the primary agenda is discussion on the nomination process for Shashank Manohar's replacement," an ICC board member, privy to the developments, told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

"Obviously, since the members will meet, they will update (the board) about the situation in their respective countries. However, no concrete announcement is expected," the source added.

Also, the board could be briefed on the investigations being carried on the leaks of classified e-mails, a member said.

For being in the running for the chairman's post, a member is required to have attended a minimum of two board meetings and also needs to be nominated by a current or past director (board member) of the representative country.

An ICC Board comprises chairman, 12 Test playing nations, three associate members (Malaysia, Scotland and Singapore as per this turn), independent female director (Indra Nooyi) and chief executive Manu Sawhney.

The Chief Executive doesn't have a vote in case of election. As of now, former ECB chairman Colin Graves is the front-runner to replace Shashank Manohar as the chairman of the world body but one can't rule out BCCI president Sourav Ganguly either.

Neither Ganguly nor BCCI have outrightly negated the possibility of his candidature.

But a lot would depend on whether the Supreme Court of India accepts the Interim Application of the BCCI which pleads that the mandatory cooling off period after six years in office be waived off for Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah.

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ehsan Mani has already ruled himself out of contention during a media interaction earlier in the week where he said that his priority is cricket in his country.

It is learnt that it won't be a bad idea for Ganguly to throw his hat in the ring in case the cooling off period is not waived off.

"We still don't know whether Sourav Ganguly has any political ambitions or not. If he has, he can always be the ICC chairman for a year and then be a BJP chief ministerial candidate for the state assembly elections in West Bengal in 2021," a BCCI insider said.

However, as of now Ganguly is unlikely to contest if he is not a unanimous choice for the post.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/icc-...report-2251410

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The International Cricket Council (ICC) Board members had a virtual meeting on Thursday to discuss ‘regular and administrative’ matters. With the current ICC chairman, Shashank Manohar, unwilling to seek another extension, the Board members need to finalise the nomination process for Manohar’s replacement.

But Sportstar understands that the members had a discussion about the chairmanship election process and things could be finalised in the next few days. However, no decision has been taken on the matter yet.

As things stand now, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB)’s Colin Graves appears to be the front-runner, with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ehsan Mani already ruling himself out of the race. There is a speculation that BCCI president Sourav Ganguly could emerge as a strong candidate, in case he throws the hat in the ring. However, there is no clarity on whether he would be keen on joining the race.

Thursday’s meeting was all about discussing the regular matters and there was no word on the future of the T20 World Cup -- scheduled to be held in Australia later this year. While the ICC had earlier clarified that a call on the matter would be taken only in July, there were speculations that the Board could make an announcement. However, as things stand now, a decision could be expected on the future of the tournament around July 15.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le31916864.ece

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    PCB Chairman Ehsan Mani briefed the BoG on matters relating to the ICC and the ACC. Mr Mani confirmed that he had been approached by some ICC Directors for the ICC Chairman’s role, but reiterated his commitment to Pakistan cricket.