Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"To be honest, I became overconfident" : Fakhar Zaman

Pakistan opener Fakhar Zaman has admitted that his overconfidence led to his own downfall, as he vows to make strong comeback on England tour.

Talking to reporters via teleconference, the opener was optimistic to represent Pakistan again, as tough England tour is just over a month away.

"To be honest, I became overconfident,” the 30-year-old told reporters. “Even when I played domestic cricket, I always took my time. I'll give credit to Mickey Arthur that he gave me the freedom. Because of that, I started played aggressively."

The left-hander added: “You cannot start hitting the new ball from the start. My role will remain the same - to be an aggressive player at the top. But, if you see, I tried playing a scoop in the first over against Sri Lanka. What I am saying is, I won't make those mistakes. I'll try that our run rate is about 8 or 9. My aim will be to ensure I bat long so that it helps the team."

Fakhar also revealed that he has made slight adjustments in his batting technique which he hopes to benefit in prolonging his career.

"I have come up with this technique only, so I don't need to make a lot of changes. It is just some adjustments, like in the grip or a small change in the stance, I have made these small adjustments," he said. "At this level, if I change my technique, I won't have a lot of time. I am very happy with it, and you will see very soon when you see me playing how the adjustments I have made are making a huge difference."

The 30-year-old is aiming for a strong comeback on the England tour and wants to cement his place back in the national side.

"My goal now is to gain my permanent spot back with my performance. Irrespective of whether I score 15-20 or a fifty or a century, I hope it helps Pakistan in that match. In a T20 you don't plan much, but I hope to show the selectors that I belong to this level and that I can play for long for Pakistan," he said.

Pakistan is scheduled to take on the home side in three Tests and three Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is), which will be played in August-September.

https://www.brecorder.com/news/10047...e-let-him-down

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nope.

Your hacking and closed eyes slogging was just found out. As it was expected.

It doesn't matter if you try to play "slow" in the start. You'll still get out. Any half decent bowler should be able to exploit your shockingly apparent weaknesses.

We wasted millions on Grant Flower and he gave us YOU!

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least Fakhar admits it!

Good luck champ, hope you perform well.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a miracle if his new technique will allow him to play barrage of short balls aimed at his body by elite bowlers when the old one just couldn't.

I don't see that happening.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Nope.

It doesn't matter if you try to play "slow" in the start. You'll still get out. Any half decent bowler should be able to exploit your shockingly apparent weaknesses.

And Grant Flower gave us Babar too.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    No, you are just a glorified Awais Zia whose luck finally ran out. Technically one of the worst batsmen to every play international cricket.

A fluke hack.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmm... well, I will still back him. Inshallah he will come good. He has a very good eye, has found clever ways of scoring runs. He has to improve his game against spin and, as he says, take fewer unnecessary risks. I am happy he realizes he has to work harder.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    FZ will always be legend for that innings and I for one will always be grateful. And aside note He ended the odi career of Ravi Ashwin and temporarily of Jadeja.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope.

Laughable that you support Kami yet Fakhar who has done better in such a short career is being called a hack etc by you.

Pakistan fans in general will probably say Kami was a better batsman than Fakhar which is ridiculous.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    No, you are just a glorified Awais Zia whose luck finally ran out. Technically one of the worst batsmen to every play international cricket.

A fluke hack.
    A fluke hack who won us a CT final (and solid contribution in the semi- final), who helped us recover from a dicey situation during a Test against Australia - helping us to win the series, and also played a brilliant innings in the final of a tri-series tournament against Australia chasing a big score after the loss of an early wicket.

That’s 3 brilliant innings in 3 formats in what is a fairly young career.

How exactly is he a hack? Just because of his technique?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    Laughable that you support Kami yet Fakhar who has done better in such a short career is being called a hack etc by you.

Pakistan fans in general will probably say Kami was a better batsman than Fakhar which is ridiculous.
    Fakhar averages 46 and Kamran averages 26. But, it's difficult at times for some people.
    Last edited by The Viper; 16th June 2020 at 22:42.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    And Grant Flower gave us Babar too.
    HAHAHA what!?!?!

Babar was a prodigy since his U13 days, and hand-picked, cared for by the PCB. What rock you've been living under?

Anyway, had a good laugh, so thank you for that.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We're talking about batting and hitting technique. Even if I give the bat to you in an international match, you'll fluke some runs.

What matters is - can you repeat it? Will you be found out?

Kami is no great, he's a little less mediocre among the list of accumulators, but a prime Kami's technique isn't as bad as Fakhar's.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A fluke hack.
    Well said.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA what!?!?!

Babar was a prodigy since his U13 days, and hand-picked, cared for by the PCB. What rock you've been living under?

Anyway, had a good laugh, so thank you for that.
    You are a laughing stock here. So Fakhar is due to Grant and babar is not because of Mickey and Grant. Babar hand-picked etc everyone knows that, the fact is that babar would have been dropped after his initial start and mickey and grant stuck with him. Whether you like it or not it's a fact.

We will see what misbah does with haider ali, similar story to babar and i hope he helps him to go on the right tracks like mickey and grant done with babar. By the looks of it the start is not promising as it looks like they have identified him as a middle order batsmen.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar does have an odd technique, or lack of in some people’s eyes . However when people say he technically one of the worse batsman to play international cricket then i just find it embarrassing.

He has delivered for Pakistan on a number of occasions and that to in high pressure games and not just any meaningless dead rubber .

He has also disappointed, and with some bizarre dismissals as well but to completely disregard him and diminish him is ridiculous.

He still has a solid one day record averages 46. He has had a slump in T20 cricket , and his last 10 games in that format have yielded very little , but even that format he helped us chase 190 plus in a final against Australia.

In a short career he has some very key achievements, including two MOM performances in final victories for Pakistan.

He was disappointing in the World Cup , but still gave us good starts against England and South Africa , which aided our victories .

I will persist with him for the 3 T20s in the England tour , and see if he has regained form . A firing Fakhar can lead to good things for Pakistan .

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Sport has a habit of taking down some egos or catching out those that become over-confident.

Glad that Fakhar has finally realised what's going on, despite many of us seeing this a long time ago.

This England tour could be last chance saloon for him.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Fakhar hate is a bit over-exaggerated but at the same time you can't ignore his batting deficiencies. This upcoming t20 series is probably his last chance at permanently reclaiming a spot in the XI.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahha lol kami is shocking atleast fakhar won us the champtions trophy single handily

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fame got to his head probably. He needs to learn how to handle compliments.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're talking about batting and hitting technique. Even if I give the bat to you in an international match, you'll fluke some runs.

Kami is no great, he's a little less mediocre among the list of accumulators, but a prime Kami's technique isn't as bad as Fakhar's.
    No I doubt you will get runs in international.

Technique or no technique he stil won the champions trophy for pakistan

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a laughing stock here. So Fakhar is due to Grant and babar is not because of Mickey and Grant. Babar hand-picked etc everyone knows that, the fact is that babar would have been dropped after his initial start and mickey and grant stuck with him. Whether you like it or not it's a fact.

We will see what misbah does with haider ali, similar story to babar and i hope he helps him to go on the right tracks like mickey and grant done with babar. By the looks of it the start is not promising as it looks like they have identified him as a middle order batsmen.
    Haider can play in the middle he did it in psl

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Haider can play in the middle he did it in psl
    Haider has opened all his life. He's an opener and needs to be played in that position.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A "fluke hack" who averages 46.61 in ODIs with a 95 SR. He has some obvious technical deficiencies, not denying that, but I'll take those numbers any day.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    A fluke hack who won us a CT final (and solid contribution in the semi- final), who helped us recover from a dicey situation during a Test against Australia - helping us to win the series, and also played a brilliant innings in the final of a tri-series tournament against Australia chasing a big score after the loss of an early wicket.

That’s 3 brilliant innings in 3 formats in what is a fairly young career.

How exactly is he a hack? Just because of his technique?

That is what a hack is. It is purely technical.

Hacks can be good too. For example, Finch is also a hack who will never cut it at Test level, but he is a damn good hack as we have seen in his white ball career.

And the issue with Fakhar is that his career is in free fall. He had a good 2017-2018 and proved to be a bit of a maverick who would take on the opposition in an unorthodox fashion and put bowlers off his lengths, but his record in the last year or so has been quite dire with the exception of 1-2 innings. He has been worked out and his technique is so poor that if the bowlers do not bowl in his comfort-zone, he is not capable of countering them.

His batting was flukey because he took far too many risks and his mode of success was not sustainable. Even during his heydays including the Champions Trophy, he would play and miss regularly, get away with plenty of edges and would get hit on the head multiple times because his technique against the short-ball is atrocious.

Fakhar type player is a luxury that a dreadful team like Pakistan cannot afford. If you have 3-4 world class batsmen, you can carry someone like Fakhar who would fail frequently but would blast the opposition on a good day, but a team like Pakistan that has only one elite batsman cannot carry flash in the pan type players like Fakhar.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadharis1 View Post
    A "fluke hack" who averages 46.61 in ODIs with a 95 SR. He has some obvious technical deficiencies, not denying that, but I'll take those numbers any day.

That average is only heading one way.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That average is only heading one way.
    Fair point, his average has been declining. But for me, there aren't that many openers knocking on the door who can play aggressively like he does, so I don't mind Fakhar's all or nothing approach.

The second a viable alternative is available, Fakhar has got to go.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Don't get me started on Grant Flower and Mickey Arthur.

Ruined: Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Imam ul Haq, Fakhar Zaman, Sarfraz... you name it. They could fix NONE of them. They all regressed, massively.

So, where are all those millions paid to them? Who improved? None. Weakness not only there, but amplified.

Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    No I doubt you will get runs in international.

Technique or no technique he stil won the champions trophy for pakistan
    Yes, he fluked it that day, and it was very helpful for us. You too know it, how he scores -- flukes, struggles most of the times specially vs the short ball or balls directed at his body.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me started on Grant Flower and Mickey Arthur.

Ruined: Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Imam ul Haq, Fakhar Zaman, Sarfraz... you name it. They could fix NONE of them. They all regressed, massively.

So, where are all those millions paid to them? Who improved? None. Weakness not only there, but amplified.

Yes, he fluked it that day, and it was very helpful for us. You too know it, how he scores -- flukes, struggles most of the times specially vs the short ball or balls directed at his body.
    What about the 88 he scored against New Zealand in odis what about the 76 against sri Lanka
    100 against england

Short ball tell me baring babar who actually plays the shower bowl properly

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No matter what anyone says, the man won us Champions Trophy and scored the only double hundred by a Pakistani in ODI cricket. I hope he comes back strongly and starts scoring runs again.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    No matter what anyone says, the man won us Champions Trophy and scored the only double hundred by a Pakistani in ODI cricket. I hope he comes back strongly and starts scoring runs again.
    I agree

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initially teams were unaware of his weakness he cashed in the Champions Trophy came at the right time but over time he has regressed needs to overcome technical issues if he’s to make in in International cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadharis1 View Post
    It’s not a real fluke but he averaged 67 in 2018 greatly helped by the Zimbabwe series where he averaged 257 last year it was 34 he’s not progressing steadily declining in t20s he hasn’t scored for some time before he was dropped.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you gave most domestic batters around the world a chance in international cricket, I doubt many if any could smash a century against India in a final, smash Australia in a t20 and test to win their team the game, or even smash a double century against Zimbabwe. Everyone shouts about the weak opposition but Fakhar has played what 10 games against minnows? And yet has hit the only double century in our history and one of only a handful in the history of cricket. If it was that easy why haven't more players done it? They play minnows all the time.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    It’s not a real fluke but he averaged 67 in 2018 greatly helped by the Zimbabwe series where he averaged 257 last year it was 34 he’s not progressing steadily declining in t20s he hasn’t scored for some time before he was dropped.
    The very fact that averaging 34 is a lean patch shows how decent he has been. In the past we would have given anything for an opener averaging 34 with a 90+ strike rate. I know times have changed but Pakistan lack aggressive openers and he is a luxury we seem to not appreciate.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [/B]

That is what a hack is. It is purely technical.

Hacks can be good too. For example, Finch is also a hack who will never cut it at Test level, but he is a damn good hack as we have seen in his white ball career.

And the issue with Fakhar is that his career is in free fall. He had a good 2017-2018 and proved to be a bit of a maverick who would take on the opposition in an unorthodox fashion and put bowlers off his lengths, but his record in the last year or so has been quite dire with the exception of 1-2 innings. He has been worked out and his technique is so poor that if the bowlers do not bowl in his comfort-zone, he is not capable of countering them.

His batting was flukey because he took far too many risks and his mode of success was not sustainable. Even during his heydays including the Champions Trophy, he would play and miss regularly, get away with plenty of edges and would get hit on the head multiple times because his technique against the short-ball is atrocious.

Fakhar type player is a luxury that a dreadful team like Pakistan cannot afford. If you have 3-4 world class batsmen, you can carry someone like Fakhar who would fail frequently but would blast the opposition on a good day, but a team like Pakistan that has only one elite batsman cannot carry flash in the pan type players like Fakhar.
    Okay I agree that his technique is pretty atrocious. My definition of a hack has always been someone who has a terrible technique and is not suited to professional cricket.

In terms of his career being in free-fall, I completely agree that his performances have dipped and he needs a wakeup call. However unlike all the other rubbish flashy players we have had over the last two decades (Akmals, Maliks, Farhats, Awais Zias, Khalid Latif, etc etc) he has stood up for us in crucial situations on multiple occasions. In fact too many times to consider it a fluke. Despite how he has 'looked' doing it, whether it be through edges or headbutts, he's won us games that we were almost certainly accustomed to losing without him.

He is exactly the kind of luxury that Pakistan need. As he has shown when he succeeds he wins us games. How many times did the likes of Umar and Kami and Misbah and Hafeez play innings that cemented their places but took us to a respectable loss. The management should work with him to improve his shortcomings. He has been lazy in the past and appears to have woken up to the fact.

A team like Pakistan 'with only one elite player' absolutely needs him. If instead you put in some other consistent but mediocre players - what is the point. We will get the Misbah era in ODIs where batsman played decent innings in losing causes. At least when Fakhar succeeds he wins us games.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very fact that averaging 34 is a lean patch shows how decent he has been. In the past we would have given anything for an opener averaging 34 with a 90+ strike rate. I know times have changed but Pakistan lack aggressive openers and he is a luxury we seem to not appreciate.
    Of course the aggressive approach is good but he’s not on a lean patch he’s declining it’s not looking likely he can average 45 plus again in the future but he should continue to be selected as he’s done enough in ODIs to retain his place.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    FZ will always be legend for that innings and I for one will always be grateful. And aside note He ended the odi career of Ravi Ashwin and temporarily of Jadeja.
    Here here greats like imran akram Miandad etc couldn’t get the game by the scruff of the neck (in icc tourneys) & have the game of there lives to giv pak at least 1 victory in a wrld cup game. This guy single handedly swept India aside & gave pak much lost pride back.