Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"My role model is Rohit Sharma. I really like the way he plays" : Haider Ali

Haider Ali at a press conference:

"We will have a lot of coaches with us like Younis bhai and Misbah bhai. The tour is 3 months long and I will try to learn a lot from this tour from the likes of Babar bhai and Azhar bhai.

"This tour has T20Is and Tests. Every player aims to represent his country in Test cricket. Thanks to Allah, my name has come up for the England tour. I performed well in four-day cricket like when I made a 100 in the final and also in U19 and PSL, thanks to Allah. I will try to go to England will full preparation and do as well as I can.

"I got out on 99 on FC debut and that was quite a shock but thankfully I scored a hundred in the final and that helped to cover for that disappointment.

"I will try to perform as well as I can for my team whenever I get a chance in England.

"My aim has been to represent Pakistan in all 3 formats. I have prepared well for all formats as well. I keep changing my mindset according to the format and I want to play for Pakistan in all formats.

"I am from Attock and I started playing tape-ball cricket in 2015. Then in 2016 I played hard-ball cricket, then played at various age levels. In my family, only my cousin played cricket a bit. Besides that, there is no cricketer in my family.

"My role model is Rohit Sharma. I really like the way he plays. I like opening like him and giving a start to my team and I also want to do clean hitting like he does.

"I want to play for Pakistan for a long time. I want to represent my country and do as well as I can. My aim is just to focus completely on cricket at the moment.

"The coronavirus has disrupted things a lot. Fans and crowds can't come but we have to understand the situation and adapt.

"I always wanted to play under Younis bhai as a batting coach and I will get an opportunity for that during this tour. I hope to learn as much as I can from Younis bhai and Misbah bhai about all three formats.

"Rohit Sharma is one of the best batsmen for all 3 formats in my view. He plays in all 3 formats and adapts. The biggest positive about him is that once he crosses 50, he makes 100, after that 150, then he scores 200. I also want to have a similar mindset to score as many runs as possible and even finish matches. He finishes matches and I find that to be a big positive in Rohit Sharma.

"When we won the CT, it was an unbelievable feeling. Matches against India are always crucial and people enjoy it. We won it in a one-sided manner and that was a great feeling.

"After U19 when I went to PSL, I encountered a lot of coaches and players who helped me. The coaches told me not to be afraid and to show my skills. I focused on playing my natural game. I will also try to perform in a similar way during the England tour.

"Coaches don't mess with technique, they just advise on shot selection etc., and that's what I want to do with Younis bhai. It's all about becoming mentally strong and improving your mindset.

"I am not worried about where I bat in the order, I want to do well for my team in whichever role I am given. Often, there are openers who can only play in the top-order. I have played in the top order and the middle order at the club level. I can do power hitting and I don't think it will be a problem if I am needed in the middle order. I will try to keep improving my game and go higher up the batting order.

"I like the way Younis bhai captained and I like his batting. Before starting to play, I also liked Shahid Afridi a lot because of his clean hitting.

"My father was on Facebook and he woke me up. There's a lot of fake news on Facebook also and he said maybe this is fake news. I was asleep and then I woke up. I looked and saw that it was on PCB's official page. I told him that it was real, not fake. I was really happy and I started receiving calls. I remember that Shadab Khan sent me a message congratulating me so I knew it can't be fake. I kept getting calls throughout the day after that.

"I want to play for Pakistan for a long time. I don't want to just play for a short while. I want to play well and be remembered in a positive way due to my good performances.

"Rohit Sharma inspired me but of course I need to learn a lot from our legends. Like Younis bhai is really good with the sweep shot so I need to learn that from him and also other aspects. All our coaches are our legends and we need to learn from them as much as we can."

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has potential for sure, Poeple need to just let him play for next 2-3 years even if he fails.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great role model to have.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really hope he becomes our Sharma. (Not the one which is afraid of Amir)

Wish you best of luck Haider!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    He has potential for sure, Poeple need to just let him play for next 2-3 years even if he fails.
    Dont think he will get 2-3 years I expect him to score consistently thou

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A good role model and would be great to see what kind of players he becomes. He has a ton of potential and looks like a good player.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Behind the big shots there is a lot of hard work, determination and skills from Sharma.

Haider looks ok, but there's a long road ahead with lots of blood, sweat and tears. Good luck young man.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Really hope he becomes our Sharma. (Not the one which is afraid of Amir)

Wish you best of luck Haider!

Rohit averages 99 against Pakistan, and last Two innings have been centuries since Aamir has resumed International Cricket. So much for being afraid, I wont be surprised if in 2027 we would see that Rohit was "trembling" facing Aamir when fixer would write his autobiography .

Jokes apart, not a bad role model to copy and emulate, but remember Ahsan Ali was also saying the same thing, and we all know how it turned out.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    There are only two good things about Pakistan cricket these days: Babar and Shaheen.

Haider has the potential to make that three.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard work, no substitutes for hard work.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    Rohit averages 99 against Pakistan, and last Two innings have been centuries since Aamir has resumed International Cricket. So much for being afraid, I wont be surprised if in 2027 we would see that Rohit was "trembling" facing Aamir when fixer would write his autobiography .

Jokes apart, not a bad role model to copy and emulate, but remember Ahsan Ali was also saying the same thing, and we all know how it turned out.
    Yes Rohit is a beast and I was just joking.

He is a great role model and I would be happy if Haider is able to emulate his batting idol.

Letís see how he progresses - Iím sure Haider wonít let us down.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rohit Sharma is a good role model as he is such a good time of the ball, can play shots all round the ground, and as Haider mentioned he has the ability to bat big.

Haider certainly has potential. Glad he has been selected and will get some experience of being in a touring party.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharma is a great role model. Quite apart from being an incredible batsman, he seems really grounded. If you watch any of his interviews, he never seems to show off or play up to his fame. If you didn't know who he was, you'd just assume he was an ordinary person.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Behind the big shots there is a lot of hard work, determination and skills from Sharma.

Haider looks ok, but there's a long road ahead with lots of blood, sweat and tears. Good luck young man.
    I am worried if he does try to emulate like Rohit, he might fail. A player like Rohit is an ODI legend and a once in a life time player.

Hope Haider tries to play his own game and doesn't go overboard.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Haider Ali at a press conference:

"My father was on Facebook and he woke me up. There's a lot of fake news on Facebook also and he said maybe this is fake news. I was asleep and then I woke up. I looked and saw that it was on PCB's official page. I told him that it was real, not fake. I was really happy and I started receiving calls. I remember that Shadab Khan sent me a message congratulating me so I knew it can't be fake. I kept getting calls throughout the day after that."
    So some things never change - Wasim Khan or not. Our players still get selection news from Facebook. None of the selectors can be bothered to pick up the phone. What a joke.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Hopefully if he has another good FC season he can be a straight swap for Azhar Ali who needs putting out to pasture ASAP.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    So some things never change - Wasim Khan or not. Our players still get selection news from Facebook. None of the selectors can be bothered to pick up the phone. What a joke.
    They have announced the squad on the Official Website, do you want them to telephone each individual regarding their selection. It is just that Facebook pages across the World are notorious for fake news. PCB cant be wrong all the times.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awesome stuff.

It's a pleasing change from previous managements, thank you Misbah for giving pre-20s players a chance and other early 20s folks too.

Haidar
    Naseem

Brilliant stars uncovered AND being supported within 4-6 months of team Misbah taking over.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a joke shows that even yet they ain't professional if someone didnt get in the squad they should be given a call up explaining why and motivate them

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    There are only two good things about Pakistan cricket these days: Babar and Shaheen.

Haider has the potential to make that three.
    Agreed he can bat in different positions so if he does fail in one he can bat in another position

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I am worried if he does try to emulate like Rohit, he might fail. A player like Rohit is an ODI legend and a once in a life time player.

Hope Haider tries to play his own game and doesn't go overboard.
    I no he can adapt to different scenarios has played qaid e azam psl and u19s all at different positions

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rohit vs Kohli discussion moved over to http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...the-world-quot

Please continue there. This thread isn't the place for it.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    They have announced the squad on the Official Website, do you want them to telephone each individual regarding their selection. It is just that Facebook pages across the World are notorious for fake news. PCB cant be wrong all the times.
    It is standard practice across the entire world that selectors pick up the phone and tell players whether or not they have been selected. No professional cricket board leaves it to players' uncles and aunties to hear it on ARY News and inform the players.

Even more important than the players selected, this is critical to the players not selected - those who performed well in domestic competitions and justifiably thought they had a shot. Players who have missed out in this way need to know why that's the case. They need to know what the selectors think about them and whether they have a future. Not all players who miss out take the Fawad Alam approach of just plugging away endlessly waiting for their chance. Many will get disheartened and become disinterested. That's potentially a massive loss to Pakistani cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    That is a joke shows that even yet they ain't professional if someone didnt get in the squad they should be given a call up explaining why and motivate them
    Exactly. If you watch an interview with any England player who is on the borderline of selection and who didn't get selected, they always say I got a call from one selector or another explaining why I didn't get in.

These selectors are paid handsomely and frankly it is not the most intense job in the world. Apart from the odd squad selection and watching cricket matches, they don't do much. Even chief selector Misbah isn't doing much at the time the selections are announced. To expect them to spend the day making calls to players is totally reasonable and it should be a compulsory part of the job description.
    Last edited by Usman; 20th June 2020 at 01:40.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rohit is a great of the game so that is a sensible role model to have. Haider is looks assured against spin as displayed during the PSL, where he attacked spin effortlessly, and during the Under-19 WC. Additionally, he is able to change gears and is not one dimensional - this is the making of a great batsman. He needs to work on his game vs pace, but he does look very promising, and i am hopeful he can serve Pakistan for years.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But Haider needs to make sure he has a better start to his career than Rohit had. Pak management never carry him in the team for 5-6 years based on talent and potential, as India did with Rohit. They'll probably throw him out after a few failures or drop him at least 10 times to completely shatter him

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haider has experience and has scored runs in FC, U19, and PSL. Tests is a bit early for him (I'd say 1-2 more FC seasons is needed) but he has to play every game in the upcoming T20 series.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Rohit vs Kohli discussion moved over to http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...the-world-quot

Please continue there. This thread isn't the place for it.
    looking forward for
    babar vs haider discussion In Sha Allah

To hell with circumstances. I create opportunities.
    -Bruce Lee

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is standard practice across the entire world that selectors pick up the phone and tell players whether or not they have been selected. No professional cricket board leaves it to players' uncles and aunties to hear it on ARY News and inform the players.

Even more important than the players selected, this is critical to the players not selected - those who performed well in domestic competitions and justifiably thought they had a shot. Players who have missed out in this way need to know why that's the case. They need to know what the selectors think about them and whether they have a future. Not all players who miss out take the Fawad Alam approach of just plugging away endlessly waiting for their chance. Many will get disheartened and become disinterested. That's potentially a massive loss to Pakistani cricket.

Exactly. If you watch an interview with any England player who is on the borderline of selection and who didn't get selected, they always say I got a call from one selector or another explaining why I didn't get in.

These selectors are paid handsomely and frankly it is not the most intense job in the world. Apart from the odd squad selection and watching cricket matches, they don't do much. Even chief selector Misbah isn't doing much at the time the selections are announced. To expect them to spend the day making calls to players is totally reasonable and it should be a compulsory part of the job description.
    Agreed its proberly de motivating azwell for the players who didnt get selected

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Feel immensely proud to see such high praises and respect for Gitman

Debut
    Feb 2019