Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"The tough days and low points made me come back stronger" : Shoaib Malik

A veteran of 435 international games where he has scored 11,753 runs and taken 218 wickets, Shoaib Malik has been the cornerstone of many of Pakistan's victories since his debut in 1999. At the age of 38, the Pakistan all-rounder now looks ahead for another chance to serve his country in yet another major event, if the proposed T20 World Cup does go ahead in Australia later this year.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Malik spoke about his memories of playing under the guidance of Mickey Arthur and the late Bob Woolmer, his career highlights including the title victories of the 2009 T20 World Cup and the 2017 Champions Trophy, his views on PCB's changes to the domestic system and his plans to work in the media when he retires from cricket.

PakPassion.net: How good are Pakistan’s chances if this year’s Twenty20 World Cup takes place?

Shoaib Malik:
    I believe our chances are very good. In order to win these kinds of events, you have to have a very strong bowling attack and I think we have that box ticked. In addition, we also have a good batting line-up to complement that strong bowling attack. Not only that, but our fielding has also developed and improved over the years, which is important on big grounds. Our fitness is much improved and better than it was in previous years, so overall, I think we will be right up there as a team that stands a very good chance of winning this tournament if it goes ahead.

PakPassion.net: Looking back at your career, what’s been your biggest regret?

Shoaib Malik:
    I feel that accepting the Pakistan captaincy in 2007 was probably the main regret. It’s hard to say no when you are asked to lead your country but in hindsight, I would have been a much better captain, especially in terms of man-management, had this honour come along a few years later in my career. However, you cannot pick and choose when these things happen.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel you were given a rough deal when you were removed as skipper after only 2 years?

Shoaib Malik:
    No, I don’t think so. I actually resigned from the captaincy, though I think the Pakistan Cricket Board had already made up their mind by then and wanted a change of captain anyway.

PakPassion.net: What was it like playing under the Late Bob Woolmer?

Shoaib Malik:
    It’s hard to sum it up in words. He was one of the best coaches in the world and I learned so much from him. But I remember him and miss him equally for reasons more than just technique and cricket. He was a caring man and I will never forget how he supported me when I was struggling with my bowling action. He took me to South Africa and oversaw my elbow surgery, which helped me in the long run with my bowling action. He was not just a coach, but he was also a mentor and father-figure for all the players. I will never forget what he did for Pakistan cricket for the rest of my life. I miss him a lot.

PakPassion.net: What were Mickey Arthur’s strongest and weakest points as a coach?

Shoaib Malik:
    I didn’t see too many weaknesses in Mickey, and I don’t like to criticise people for their work. Mickey was very consistent in the way he worked and gave extended opportunities to players, which is a good way to strengthen the team and the system. What was important was that players were not playing with the fear of being dropped all the time. Nobody likes to be thrown out the team after a couple of games if you don’t perform. So, with more opportunities given to players come more chances of good, consistent results from the same individuals.

PakPassion.net: What have been the high-points of your career?

Shoaib Malik:
    Without a doubt, the high-points are the World Twenty20 win in 2009 at Lord’s and the Champions Trophy triumph in 2017 at The Oval. They were fantastic occasions and it was just incredible to be a part of both wins. They are tournaments and days that I will never forget.

PakPassion.net: What still hurts you regarding your career and why?

Shoaib Malik:
    I guess any time I was dropped from the team was a low point. Whenever I was dropped and felt a little hard-done by, was not a nice feeling. But this is a professional sport and the tough days and low points made me come back stronger. Comebacks and playing all over the world are two things that make you a better player, and stronger and more rounded as a person. I am not unique in this regard as many players experience the disappointment of being dropped when they feel good enough to carry on. It’s probably how you use that experience going forward that matters. Like I said, I have preferred to use it as motivation to come back stronger.

PakPassion.net: Describe the feelings and emotions of winning the 2009 World Twenty20 in England?

Shoaib Malik:
    I must mention here that I still remember the 2007 T20 World Cup final, which we lost to India in South Africa, and everybody was very hurt. Not because we lost to India but because we were just one step away from winning the trophy. So, when we won in 2009 against Sri Lanka in the final, the captain Younis Khan called up Geoff Lawson, who was in England doing media work, and me and said he wanted us to have a picture taken together with the trophy. That was a lovely gesture by Younis as he never forgot the look of pain on Geoff’s and my faces when we were the coach and captain back in that 2007 final.

Younis Khan scored more than 10,000 Test runs in his career and was a great player but this gesture showed how he was also a great man. He could have just enjoyed the moment himself as the winning captain in 2009, but he still had that generosity and respect for Geoff and me in that way which is an abiding memory of that victory.

PakPassion.net: Any special memories of the 2017 Champions Trophy tournament?

Shoaib Malik:
    In terms of winning that tournament in 2017, yes it was a great feeling to win another ICC Trophy, but I have another memory that is very special to me. I remember after the final at The Oval against India sitting in the dining hall talking to Yuvraj Singh and we were just chatting and he said, ‘Your team-mates are celebrating, don’t miss out on this special moment, you should be celebrating with them.’ It is just a small example of how cricket generates very good friendships no matter where we come from. Yes, we do battle on the field and we try our best to win for our country, but off the field, we can still be friends.

PakPassion.net: Were you a bit nervous about marrying an Indian sports star given the strained relationship between India and Pakistan?

Shoaib Malik:
    No, not at all. In a marriage, you don’t concern yourself with where your partner is from or what is going on between the countries or in politics. That is not our domain. If you love someone and get married to that person that should be all that matters, regardless of which country you come from. On a wider point, I have many friends who are Indian and I don’t find anything strained because of the relationship between the two countries. I am a cricketer, not a politician.

PakPassion.net: India versus Pakistan, how badly does the world of cricket need those encounters once again?

Shoaib Malik:
    I think the world badly needs this rivalry to resume, in the same way that world cricket needs the Ashes. Could England and Australia imagine Test cricket without an Ashes series? Both series are played with the same kind of passion and have such a great history, so it is a shame that we don’t play right now. Also, I have Pakistani friends who love to talk about Indian cricketers with respect and admiration. Similarly, I and my Pakistan team-mates are given such love and support when we play in India so it is a rivalry that I would like to see return as soon as it is possible.

PakPassion.net: What’s your overriding memory of playing against India?

Shoaib Malik:
    From a personal point of view the 2009 Champions Trophy match at Centurion when I was Man of the Match after scoring 128 and the Asia Cup match in Sri Lanka in 2004 where I scored 143 from 127 balls and took the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are great memories. But I also enjoyed the one-off ODI in Kolkata in 2004 when we chased 293 to win. It was a day before Eid and the atmosphere inside Eden Gardens in that floodlit match was incredible.

PakPassion.net: Who has been the toughest opponent you ever faced and why was he such a tough opponent?

Shoaib Malik:
    There are so many players who I have enjoyed doing battle against and the fact is that conditions often dictate who can be more dangerous on a given day. But I will say Shoaib Akhtar was the toughest overall. I faced him many times in domestic cricket and he was quick and nasty. I remember one First-Class match in particular, on a green-top wicket, where he made my life very uncomfortable. He bowled, I think, a six-over spell and nearly every ball was a bouncer. As a batsman, you don’t pick certain actions too well and he was one who I found difficult to pick.

PakPassion.net: Cricket for the foreseeable future may be played with no fans present, how do you feel about this and will it work?

Shoaib Malik:
    Of course, we all like to see packed stadiums and matches that have a buzz from the crowd, which all adds to the spectacle. But right now, the situation around the world is very concerning and we must do what is right for everyone’s health and safety. Hopefully one day and not too far into the future crowds will be back. But for now, cricket needs to be played and if this is what needs to be done to get cricket back on then we must support it and accept it.

PakPassion.net: What are your thoughts on the sweeping changes made by PCB in domestic cricket?

Shoaib Malik:
    The PCB has made some very positive changes in domestic cricket, like going with a reduced number of elite teams and improving the quality of the cricket. The main thing I would like to see changed now is further strengthening of grassroots cricket, especially in terms of school, college and club cricket. So much good work has been done by the PCB to improve the Pakistan team’s fielding and fitness and more in recent years and I just hope this professionalism will filter down to the various levels. With Wasim Khan at the helm, I am confident this will be done. I feel Pakistan cricket is in good hands.

PakPassion.net: What are your plans after you stop playing cricket?

Shoaib Malik:
    At the moment I am as fit as I have ever been, I’m still very hungry to play cricket and have a few more goals that I would like to achieve before retiring. But when my cricket days do come to an end I would like to work in the media. Maybe have my own show and also do some commentary or studio work.
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th June 2020 at 12:51.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Malik is the consummate professional and he should be playing franchise cricket to make a living but he should have been dropped from the PK team a decade ago.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Malik will be a very good pundit, he's always spoken well.

However he hasn't been able to competently play any seam bowling above 125kph for years and needs putting out to pasture.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik is a great professional and an example for many upcoming youngsters regarding fitness and hard work.

But it's no secret that he is lucky to still be in the team because of Pak's failure of producing decent limited overs batsmen. His performance against Bangladesh yet again showed why the PCB will keep favoring him.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    To be honest, PCB do not have a replacement for Malik and they have accepted that. Hence his selection for England.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Should have asked him to comment on his embarrassing performance in the World Cup last year.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    To be honest, PCB do not have a replacement for Malik and they have accepted that. Hence his selection for England.
    What exactly does he brings to the table - especially in England where is woefully poor against pace & swing

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Malik became the talk of the town when he married India's Tennis star, Sania Mirza. The grand wedding took place on April 12, 2008, at the Taj Krishna Hotel in Hyderabad. Since Malik lives in Pakistan, they don't get much time to spend with each other.

In a recent chat with pakpassion.net, Malik opened up about his marriage with Sania and revealed that he wasn't nervous about marrying her due to the strained relationship between the two countries.

“No, not at all. In a marriage, you don’t concern yourself with where your partner is from or what is going on between the countries or in politics. That is not our domain. If you love someone and get married to that person that should be all that matters, regardless of which country you come from. On a wider point, I have many friends who are Indian and I don’t find anything strained because of the relationship between the two countries. I am a cricketer, not a politician,” he said.

Malik has been to India on a number of occasions and has also represented his team against Men in Blue at the highest level.

The couple was blessed with a baby boy in 2018, which saw Sania taking a maternity break. She made her comeback to the game earlier this year and won the doubles title in Hobart.

Talking of Malik, the veteran Pakistan cricketer has retired from Tests and ODIs but is eyeing a spot in the squad for T20 World Cup. He is also part of the 29-member squad for the England tour.

Malik is all set to meet his wife and son after five months. He has been granted permission to skip four weeks of training in England so that he can spend time with his family. Malik has been in Pakistan since the lockdown while Sania is in India.

“Unlike the rest of us, Shoaib Malik has not seen his immediate family for nearly five months due to his commitments and the subsequent international travel bans following the Covid-19 pandemic. As travel restrictions are now slowly easing out and there is an opportunity for a family reunion, it is appropriate that at a human level we show compassion as part of our duty of care and respect Shoaib's request," Wasim Khan, PCB's CEO, said on Saturday.

Pakistan's tour of England includes Tests and T20Is. The members of Pakistan cricket team are set to leave for the UK on June 28. The players will be quarantined for two weeks in Derbyshire.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ionship/609542

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veteran Pakistan all-rounder Shoaib Malik feels that his national team has a very good chance of winning the T20 World Cup scheduled to be played later this year in Australia if everything goes as per the original schedule. There is no clarity on whether the marquee event will happen as planned because of the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

Shoiab, who was part of the T20 World Cup-winning Pakistan squad in 2009, said that the Men in Green have a good bowling unit which is what makes them one of the favourites to lift the title.

“I believe our chances are very good,” Shoaib told PakPassion.

“In order to win these kinds of events, you have to have a very strong bowling attack and I think we have that box ticked. In addition, we also have a good batting line-up to complement that strong bowling attack.”

“Not only that, but our fielding has also developed and improved over the years, which is important on big grounds.

“Our fitness is much improved and better than it was in previous years, so overall, I think we will be right up there as a team that stands a very good chance of winning this tournament if it goes ahead,” he added.

Shoaib is part of the 29 member Pakistan sqaud which will travel to England in July for a series comprising of three Tests and as many T20Is.

“Of course, we all like to see packed stadiums and matches that have a buzz from the crowd, which all adds to the spectacle. But right now, the situation around the world is very concerning and we must do what is right for everyone’s health and safety,” he said.

“Hopefully one day and not too far into the future crowds will be back. But for now, cricket needs to be played and if this is what needs to be done to get cricket back on then we must support it and accept it.”

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports/...502902217.html

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Veteran allrounder Shoaib Malik reckons that should the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup be held this year, Pakistan stand a good chance at winning the showpiece event for the second time in their history.

Malik explains that to win a tournament of this scale, a team requires a solid bowling attack and a decent batting line-up – both the boxes his team ticks.

“I believe our chances are very good,” Shoaib told PakPassion. “In order to win these kinds of events, you have to have a very strong bowling attack and I think we have that box ticked. In addition, we also have a good batting line-up to complement that strong bowling attack.”

Additionally, Malik, who has scored 2321 runs and 28 wickets from 113 T20Is, reasons that the fielding and fitness standards have also improved and on the big grounds of Australia, those things are must.

“Not only that, but our fielding has also developed and improved over the years, which is important on big grounds. Our fitness is much improved and better than it was in previous years, so overall, I think we will be right up there as a team that stands a very good chance of winning this tournament if it goes ahead,” the 38-year-old said.

Uncertainty over the fate of this year’s T20 World Cup remains with the ICC deferring its decision as it follows the wait and watch policy, hoping for the coronavirus situation to improve.

Australia, the hosts, have already said organising the tournament seems unrealistic due to the prevailing circumstances. In the likelihood of the world cup going ahead, the matches will be played behind the closed doors.

Malik is part of the 29-man squad for the England tour which leaves on June 28. The tour comprises three Tests and as many T20Is and will be played in empty stadiums.

“Of course, we all like to see packed stadiums and matches that have a buzz from the crowd, which all adds to the spectacle. But right now, the situation around the world is very concerning and we must do what is right for everyone’s health and safety,” he said.

“Hopefully one day and not too far into the future crowds will be back. But for now, cricket needs to be played and if this is what needs to be done to get cricket back on then we must support it and accept it,” he added.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...rld-cup-934344

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The PCB, the fans and the media, always hit the panic button after every defeat in some worthless T20 game. The T20 games worth anything is the T20 WC, the rest are forgotten within a few days. The problem with that attitude is that it stops young players( in our case young batsman) from being tried and given time to fail. Most of the players tried will fail, but only a couple need to come off, and you have a decent team. Malik has been a nothing player for a decade, and will produce nothing in any note worthy game. His (Hafeezs) selection for PK remains PCB biggest failure in selection

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I had a lot of sympathy for him after the way he was dumped and actually felt that he should have been part of the squad in 2015. But this latest comeback left me cold. His game has regressed tremendously against better sides and on better pitches. And he was awful in the recent World Cup. Really should retire now.
    But a consummate professional

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    I had a lot of sympathy for him after the way he was dumped and actually felt that he should have been part of the squad in 2015. But this latest comeback left me cold. His game has regressed tremendously against better sides and on better pitches. And he was awful in the recent World Cup. Really should retire now.
    But a consummate professional
    He is trying to keep his profile up by playing for PK, its not his fault, its the awful selection policy that allows failures like Malik to have 22yr careers, when someone of his ability would be lucky to have more than 4 years.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously?
    He was dropped from the playing 11 during the WC. After that PAK started winning games.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story of Maliks career make a few scores against a lower ranked team fail against the top 5 teams fail in the World Cup repeat cycle for 20+ years strength of a lion Shobby.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    India and Pakistan have had several memorable matches over the years. The image of Venkatesh Prasad cleaning up Aamir Sohail and then sending him off is still etched in the minds of millions of cricket fans from both the countries. The moment when Javed Miandad hit a six on the final ball to win the match for Pakistan is another. There was also a moment when wicketkeeper Kiran More flustered Miandad who lost his cool and started jumping up in frustration on the field. Besides the banter, the two cricket teams have also played some thrilling encounters at the ICC tournaments - the 2007 T20I World Cup final and the 2017 Champions Trophy final being two of them.

But due to strained relationships between the two countries, India and Pakistan have not played bilateral series in eight years, and now only compete with each other in ICC tournaments. The last bilateral series between the two countries was back in 2012 when Pakistan visited India for two tT20Is and three ODIs.

Veteran Pakistan allrounder believes that the two countries should resume their cricket rivalry for the world to see. “I think the world badly needs this rivalry to resume, in the same way that world cricket needs the Ashes,” Malik told PakPassion.net.

“Could England and Australia imagine Test cricket without an Ashes series? Both series are played with the same kind of passion and have such a great history, so it is a shame that we don’t play right now,” he added.

“Also, I have Pakistani friends who love to talk about Indian cricketers with respect and admiration. Similarly, I and my Pakistan team-mates are given such love and support when we play in India so it is a rivalry that I would like to see return as soon as it is possible,” the cricketer further said.

Recalling his favourite memories of playing against India, Malik further added: From a personal point of view the 2009 Champions Trophy match at Centurion when I was Man of the Match after scoring 128 and the Asia Cup match in Sri Lanka in 2004 where I scored 143 from 127 balls and took the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are great memories.”

“But I also enjoyed the one-off ODI in Kolkata in 2004 when we chased 293 to win. It was a day before Eid and the atmosphere inside Eden Gardens in that floodlit match was incredible,” he added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...W9LwLX8QN.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The India-Pakistan rivalry is one of the biggest rivalries in the history of cricket. Any game between the two teams is always a high-octane clash with millions of fans watching from across the world. The two teams have produced numerous memorable encounters over the years and have provided fans with some unforgettable moments on the cricket field.

India and Pakistan used to play against each other regularly before the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in 2009 following which a lot of international teams refrained from travelling to Pakistan due to security concerns. Pakistan last played a bilateral series in India in 2012 but increasing political tensions between the two countries have since seen them meet only in major ICC events.

Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik believes the world badly needs India-Pakistan rivalry to resume. The veteran all-rounder cited an example of the Ashes rivalry between England and Australia to question the absence of India-Pakistan bilateral cricket. Malik asked if Australia and England can even imagine playing Test cricket without the traditional Ashes series.

“I think the world badly needs this rivalry to resume, in the same way, that world cricket needs the Ashes,” Malik told PakPassion.net.

“Could England and Australia imagine Test cricket without an Ashes series? Both series are played with the same kind of passion and have such a great history, so it is a shame that we don’t play right now,” he added.

Malik further pointed out how things have never been edgy between the cricketers from the two countries, who share a great rapport with each other. The veteran all-rounder insisted his friends in Pakistan admire Indian cricketers and Pakistani cricketers are treated well by the Indian fans in their country.

“Also, I have Pakistani friends who love to talk about Indian cricketers with respect and admiration. Similarly, I and my Pakistan team-mates are given such love and support when we play in India so it is a rivalry that I would like to see return as soon as it is possible,” said Malik.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...cricket/610576

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The India-Pakistan rivalry is one of the biggest rivalries in the history of cricket. Any game between the two teams is always a high-octane clash with millions of fans watching from across the world. The two teams have produced numerous memorable encounters over the years and have provided fans with some unforgettable moments on the cricket field.

India and Pakistan used to play against each other regularly before the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in 2009 following which a lot of international teams refrained from travelling to Pakistan due to security concerns. Pakistan last played a bilateral series in India in 2012 but increasing political tensions between the two countries have since seen them meet only in major ICC events.

Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik believes the world badly needs India-Pakistan rivalry to resume. The veteran all-rounder cited an example of the Ashes rivalry between England and Australia to question the absence of India-Pakistan bilateral cricket. Malik asked if Australia and England can even imagine playing Test cricket without the traditional Ashes series.

“I think the world badly needs this rivalry to resume, in the same way, that world cricket needs the Ashes,” Malik told PakPassion.net.

Malik further pointed out how things have never been edgy between the cricketers from the two countries, who share a great rapport with each other. The veteran all-rounder insisted his friends in Pakistan admire Indian cricketers and Pakistani cricketers are treated well by the Indian fans in their country.

“Also, I have Pakistani friends who love to talk about Indian cricketers with respect and admiration. Similarly, I and my Pakistan team-mates are given such love and support when we play in India so it is a rivalry that I would like to see return as soon as it is possible,” said Malik.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...cricket/610576

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Veteran Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik has expressed his thoughts on how the world of cricket is in dire need of the old-school India-Pakistan cricket rivalry again.

The allrounder voiced his opinion claiming that the two neighbouring countries should resume their onfield rivalry for the sake of the world.

"I think the world badly needs this rivalry to resume, in the same way that world cricket needs the Ashes," Malik told PakPassion.net.

"Could England and Australia imagine Test cricket without an Ashes series? Both series are played with the same kind of passion and have such a great history, so it is a shame that we don’t play right now."

"Also, I have Pakistani friends who love to talk about Indian cricketers with respect and admiration. Similarly, I and my Pakistan team-mates are given such love and support when we play in India so it is a rivalry that I would like to see return as soon as it is possible," he further added.

The two nations last took on each other back in 2012-13 where Pakistan won the ODI series 2-1, and the T20I series ended in a 1-1 tie.

Malik also revealed his favourite memories of playing against India and said: "From a personal point of view the 2009 Champions Trophy match at Centurion when I was Man of the Match after scoring 128 and the Asia Cup match in Sri Lanka in 2004 where I scored 143 from 127 balls and took the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are great memories.”

“But I also enjoyed the one-off ODI in Kolkata in 2004 when we chased 293 to win. It was a day before Eid and the atmosphere inside Eden Gardens in that floodlit match was incredible,” he added.

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/rep...-malik-2829288

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    On this day, Malik scored 143 (127) against India in Asia Cup to help Pakistan win by 59 runs

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-asia-cup-2004

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar regarding Shoaib Malik:

Shoaib Malik, great batsman or great captain?

Akhtar: Neither.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even Akhtar is right once in a while

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A poor innings of 27* off 24 balls by Malik vs Central Punjab.

The worst thing was that he remained not out with that S/R!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just doesnt look confident or interested I think he may hang up his boots very soon

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good answer honest truth

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The only active player from the 1990s.

Makes him look like some Tendulkar-type legend, but we know he's far from it.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will still continue to dominate spinners in Asia. He is still fit enough. But as soon as he steps into SENA, he will be a walking wicket.
    His peak was 2005-2009 still and was an absolute treat to watch in ODIs during that time.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he came back stronger in domestic after his drop/loss of captaincy. But in international cricket, never really was the same after he lost captaincy. Shame really, he should have been our best ODI batsman for a decade. Him and Kamran (Kamran even more so) felt like the biggest let downs, both should have been the backbone of our batting line up for years.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give him 5 more t20 world cups and maybe make him captain too..
    Then he can retire..

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2069 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    A poor innings of 27* off 24 balls by Malik vs Central Punjab.

The worst thing was that he remained not out with that S/R!
    Looked laboured and lethargic.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Malik in form today! Scored 69* off 37! Maybe Khushdil taking his spot in the side has given him some impetus

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik who scored 74 in 44 balls, has also crossed 10k runs in T20s so another big milestone for him.

Name:  bc89bd5a-068d-43a0-8053-b7bb22d62e8a.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  247.9 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th October 2020 at 18:22.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik who scored 74 in 44 balls, has also crossed 10k runs in T20s so another big milestone for him.
    Video of his innigs

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We need to move forward from Shoaib malik desperately

Why hes had a 21yr career with pakistan boggles the mind Hes never been a top tier player - ever

He offers nothing away from the subcontinent -hes tailenderish

Even his output in subcontinent has fallen Hes around 40 Why is he still picked for t20 bilaterals when theres dozens of domestic players hammering away at the door who can potentially play all formats for the next decade

He needs to be told thats it for him as far as his pakistan career is concerned Its truly diabolical hes still being picked in 2020

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    We need to move forward from Shoaib malik desperately

Why hes had a 21yr career with pakistan boggles the mind Hes never been a top tier player - ever

He offers nothing away from the subcontinent -hes tailenderish

Even his output in subcontinent has fallen Hes around 40 Why is he still picked for t20 bilaterals when theres dozens of domestic players hammering away at the door who can potentially play all formats for the next decade

He needs to be told thats it for him as far as his pakistan career is concerned Its truly diabolical hes still being picked in 2020
    Its a great mystery of the universe why such terrible players as Malik and Hafeez have had 2 decade careers. In any other country they would have got one 4 year cycle and then sacked. In PK we keep choosing 2 crap players for 20 years.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Its a great mystery of the universe why such terrible players as Malik and Hafeez have had 2 decade careers. In any other country they would have got one 4 year cycle and then sacked. In PK we keep choosing 2 crap players for 20 years.
    It just wouldnt happen in any other country They and others keep falling back on the excuse theres no replacements which is absolute rubbish

As we have seen there is plenty of talent They just need a proper chance which they are never given

Misbah and co need to be held responsible for these sort of atrocious decisions
    Last edited by Zaz; 10th October 2020 at 20:34.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    It just wouldnt happen in any other country They and others keep falling back on the excuse theres no replacements which is absolute rubbish

As we have seen there is plenty of talent They just need a proper chance which they are never given

Misbah and co need to be held responsible for these sort of atrocious decisions
    All the selectors over the last decade+ are responsible for the the terrible selection of these 2 fakes.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Its really sad, if Misbah and people like him run cricket in Pakistan , this is not a surprise. Selector,s personal interest and not the talent and performance is the key behind the long career of these very average players. They are mediocre cricketers but smart guys, know how to be in good books of the selectors.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Poor outing by Malik - 10 (11) in a chase of 175
    Last edited by The Viper; 15th October 2020 at 00:05.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2069 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    A strike rate of only 128 in the tournament so far. That is unacceptable in any T20 tournament especially as this guy has been batting in the top 5.

Interestingly only 2 sixes in the tournament so far.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very poor tournament doesnt seem interested

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope he is dropped from upcoming zimbabwe series
    He should call it a day now

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    I hope he is dropped from upcoming zimbabwe series
    He should call it a day now
    He already stated hes avaliable for Zimbabwe series and the t20 world cup

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    He already stated hes avaliable for Zimbabwe series and the t20 world cup
    He ll available for next 10 years but misbah has to show some guts and drop him

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    He ll available for next 10 years but misbah has to show some guts and drop him
    Good that hes lost his position as cheif selector hopefully the next selector is brave enough to make that call

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hopefully its the end but a decade too late.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way he missed Imad's straight ball today tells us he is finished

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a selfish player !

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2069 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised KP keep picking him.

It would be disgusting if he is picked for the Zimbabwe series.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This must be the end surely

What can a failing 38yr old malik offer that half a dozen domestic players cant?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    PCB release on selection for Zimbabwe series:

Shoaib Malik, who was player of the final, has made way for Abdullah Shafiq, while Rohail Nazir has been named as Mohammad Rizwan’s back-up wicketkeeper. Sarfaraz Ahmed, who was part of the squad for the England tour, has been encouraged to feature in the first-class Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, starting 25 October, so that he rediscovers better form ahead of the New Zealand tour.