Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 150
  1. #1
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    43,137
    Mentioned
    2257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    [PICTURES] Haider Ali, Imran Khan & Kashif Bhatti arrive in England [Post #143]

    The Pakistan Cricket Board has confirmed three players Ė Haider Ali, Haris Rauf and Shadab Khan Ė have tested positive for Covid-19. The players had shown no symptoms until they were tested in Rawalpindi on Sunday ahead of the Pakistan menís national cricket teamís tour to England.

    The PCB medical panel is in contact with the three who have been advised to immediately go into self-isolation.

    Imad Wasim and Usman Shinwari, also screened in Rawalpindi, have tested negative and, as such, will travel to Lahore on 24 June.

    The other players and team officials, barring Cliffe Deacon, Shoaib Malik and Waqar Younis, underwent tests at their respective centres in Karachi, Lahore and Peshawar on Monday. Their results are expected at some stage on Tuesday, which will also be announced by the PCB through its usual channels.

    Until then, the PCB will not make any further comment.

    Ė ENDS Ė


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    16,082
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So possibly asymptomatic. Hopefully would be OK by the time team leaves for Eng.

    Other boards should be mentally prepared for other asymptomatic cases as well. A lot of people around are asymptomatic carriers and nobody ever knows as they dont get tested because of no symptoms. While as per some studies they dont easily transfer it to others but still quarantine should be in place when such cases appear.
    Last edited by Titan24; 22nd June 2020 at 22:01.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    1,438
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well RIP England tour.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    19,030
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Keep testing and educate the players as to the dangers.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I saw someone doing a YT vlog where Haris Rauf went to Shaheen Shah’s house for Iftari, and Naseem Shah was also present. The same channel was doing interviews with Usman Shinwari and Fakhar Zaman in a car.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    So possibly asymptomatic. Hopefully would be OK by the time team leaves for Eng.

    Other boards should be mentally prepared for other asymptomatic cases as well. A lot of people around are asymptomatic carriers and nobody ever knows as they dont get tested because of no symptoms. While as per some studies they dont easily transfer it to others but still quarantine should be in place when such cases appear.
    Team is supposed to leave on 28th, doubt they will be on board the flight to England, doesn't look good but let's hope for the best

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    May Allah give these guys health and full recovery.

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,615
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....this was inevitable

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    I saw someone doing a YT vlog where Haris Rauf went to Shaheen Shah’s house for Iftari, and Naseem Shah was also present. The same channel was doing interviews with Usman Shinwari and Fakhar Zaman in a car.
    Were you surprised to see that? It's a normal thing in Pakistan as they can't sit put in one place for a while.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,825
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is really bad news.I hope no other player gets positive.Get well soon guys.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like the tour will be cancelled

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    32,512
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Get well soon.

    Since they are asymptomatic, they should be ok sooner.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway it was bound to happen as they did say at least 2-3 may test positive especially asymptomatic.

    I'm not sure about this but shouldn't they have conducted the first tests a week earlier rather than today and then final tests 3 days before they leave?

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Were you surprised to see that? It's a normal thing in Pakistan as they can't sit put in one place for a while.
    Faheem was doing photo op with Punjab sports minster without a mask

    Babar, Imam and Naseem training without SOPs being followed

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Faheem was doing photo op with Punjab sports minster without a mask

    Babar, Imam and Naseem training without SOPs being followed
    Why would you even bother watching these guys when they don't give a damn about health care or anything.

    Glad I don't watch these YT channels of such low levels of content.
    Last edited by Deewana Mastana; 22nd June 2020 at 22:23.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,689
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Faheem was doing photo op with Punjab sports minster without a mask
    I would blame the punjab minister for wanting to have pic with a failure like Faheem

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Junaids was right

    I should get corona test as well, community spread in Pakistan is rampant. One of the worst in the world

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    9,634
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear.

    Wish them a speedy recovery!

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I would blame the punjab minister for wanting to have pic with a failure like Faheem
    What about the thousands that would do so even now then

  20. #20
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    16,082
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentDevil View Post
    Team is supposed to leave on 28th, doubt they will be on board the flight to England, doesn't look good but let's hope for the best
    Thanks for the clarification. I had the previous date of departure which was post 1st Eng vs WI Test in mind.

    Then they surely wont be able to god with the squad, one option is delaying the departure date which I think would be better as arranging a separate plane for 3 or more would be too much of extra cost. Lets see how many more turn out to be positive, hopefully not many.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    @Junaids was right

    I should get corona test as well, community spread in Pakistan is rampant. One of the worst in the world
    Get the antibody test done more accurate and quicker.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,875
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's ok.

    Mild cases. They will never even know they got corona. But yes, will likely miss the tour though.

    Let's see who else will miss.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    16,082
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    @Junaids was right

    I should get corona test as well, community spread in Pakistan is rampant. One of the worst in the world
    As per studies around 20-50% + of the carriers around the world are asymptomatic i.e they are not in the data as they dont have any symptoms and thus dont get tested. As per studies they dont transmit it to others easily.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Keep testing and educate the players as to the dangers.
    They had 6 months to educate themselves but they would rather make cringeworthy comments and videos and do insta chats with each other about how they're missing out on making money etc;

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    It's ok.

    Mild cases. They will never even know they got corona. But yes, will likely miss the tour though.

    Let's see who else will miss.
    Guess the kid Haider would feel it more than the others.

    Not that he would have played many or any games either.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cricketers should have followed 14 days strict SOP before the test being conducted. Fools

  27. #27
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    19,030
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    They had 6 months to educate themselves but they would rather make cringeworthy comments and videos and do insta chats with each other about how they're missing out on making money etc;
    You would hope that they listen but as the opinion poll showed, we dont listen.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I had the previous date of departure which was post 1st Eng vs WI Test in mind.

    Then they surely wont be able to god with the squad, one option is delaying the departure date which I think would be better as arranging a separate plane for 3 or more would be too much of extra cost. Lets see how many more turn out to be positive, hopefully not many.
    From what's being reported and from PCB press release, it appears 5 tests were done in Islamabad, out of which 3 came out as positive, test results from other 3 places where players are/were supposed to be tested are likely to come out tomorrow. If the number of players testing +ve is higher, then PCB might have to delay the departure to mid July or it may seriously jeopardize the whole tour.

    P.S. Players were never serious about following guidelines, Shadab was posting his outdoor training snaps up until 2 days back and others were training out in the grounds without following any SOPs. Hope they recover soon insha'Allah

  29. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    2,561
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentDevil View Post
    From what's being reported and from PCB press release, it appears 5 tests were done in Islamabad, out of which 3 came out as positive, test results from other 3 places where players are/were supposed to be tested are likely to come out tomorrow. If the number of players testing +ve is higher, then PCB might have to delay the departure to mid July or it may seriously jeopardize the whole tour.

    P.S. Players were never serious about following guidelines, Shadab was posting his outdoor training snaps up until 2 days back and others were training out in the grounds without following any SOPs. Hope they recover soon insha'Allah
    i'm not in medicine, but just throwing out something, not sure if its possible.... so if they stay healthy/recover, will they have covid antibodies? if so, what if we give the covid antibodies to rest of the team, have them take extra vitamin c / immune boosters, and essentially rather than trying to avoid getting covid, everyone gets the covid + antibody and recover and go about the tour in peace.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    35,227
    Mentioned
    425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is a reality. Boards will have to make a decision on whether they will halt cricketing activities because of positive results

  31. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    34,553
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The players are to blame for appalling complacency and failing to follow SOPs. There was zero social distancing if you look at the pictures of recent training sessions. And PCB did nothing. They should have fined anyone breaching SOPs.

    This is the problem with uneducated sportsmen. They simply do not have any critical thinking capacity whatsoever.

    Now not only are these jeopardising their own health, but they may have jeopardised the health of those around them.

    I hope they make a swift recovery.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,699
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The players and PCB didn't follow social distance guidelines at all. Just as you want to praise Wasim Khan and PCB something like this happens.

    Look at how the ECB have handled England return to training.

    If we carry on with how we have been going ,the tour is in serious doubt.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    16,007
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will be OK.
    A positive test is not the end of the world.

    Young people are not under danger.

    They wilp how ever miss the tour.

    But some reactions here are over the top.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    1,104
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest should be ok ,
    Cause they can join the squad afterwords, as we are not due too play 30th July.

    So plenty of time to join up.

    I think bigger problem would be West Indians players testing positive

  35. #35
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    9,185
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well soon, lads.

    Things will be fine hopefully.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    2,162
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    The Pakistan Cricket Board has confirmed three players Ė Haider Ali, Haris Rauf and Shadab Khan Ė have tested positive for Covid-19. The players had shown no symptoms until they were tested in Rawalpindi on Sunday ahead of the Pakistan menís national cricket teamís tour to England.

    The PCB medical panel is in contact with the three who have been advised to immediately go into self-isolation.

    Imad Wasim and Usman Shinwari, also screened in Rawalpindi, have tested negative and, as such, will travel to Lahore on 24 June.

    The other players and team officials, barring Cliffe Deacon, Shoaib Malik and Waqar Younis, underwent tests at their respective centres in Karachi, Lahore and Peshawar on Monday. Their results are expected at some stage on Tuesday, which will also be announced by the PCB through its usual channels.

    Until then, the PCB will not make any further comment.

    Ė ENDS Ė
    So 3 out of 5 are positive. I am afraid if enough people will be negative to make a team.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The players are to blame for appalling complacency and failing to follow SOPs. There was zero social distancing if you look at the pictures of recent training sessions. And PCB did nothing. They should have fined anyone breaching SOPs.

    This is the problem with uneducated sportsmen. They simply do not have any critical thinking capacity whatsoever.

    Now not only are these jeopardising their own health, but they may have jeopardised the health of those around them.

    I hope they make a swift recovery.
    What can you say about the players failing the SOP's when the entire country is failing to follow them in the first place.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    32,741
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    You would hope that they listen but as the opinion poll showed, we dont listen.
    The entire country doesn't and that isn't something new or surprising at all.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,221
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame on PPers blaming the players for their positive tests - without knowing reasons.

    I understand the need to hold players to a higher standard while most people in Pakistan are merrily out and about. But if we look at the world around us, there are high profile celebrities and sports figures positive everywhere, many without knowing.

    Give the players a break!!

  40. #40
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    1,370
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 out of 5 is bad. That means that out of remaining 24, at least 12 could be positive leaving a touring squad of 14 which should be OK. The remaining can join 10 days later after having recovered.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,783
    Mentioned
    1221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mumtaz View Post
    3 out of 5 is bad. That means that out of remaining 24, at least 12 could be positive leaving a touring squad of 14 which should be OK. The remaining can join 10 days later after having recovered.
    These are some of the younger folks, I doubt the older ones were out and about as much. Looks like Misbah will be happy with the chance to break the record for oldest side in Test history

  42. #42
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    11,944
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Best wishes to them.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    77,102
    Mentioned
    2012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Fingers crossed, there aren't too many more players who test positive, or this tour of England is gone.



  44. #44
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    35,227
    Mentioned
    425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Fingers crossed, there aren't too many more players who test positive, or this tour of England is gone.
    Do you honestly expect 2 months of a Cricket tour without anyone testing positive? WI are due to play England and things could change if 1-2 players test positive in the middle of the series. Maybe our team will not fly to England at all and the ECB will cancel the tour itself and they will have to stomach their 380 million pound loss

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    77,102
    Mentioned
    2012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Do you honestly expect 2 months of a Cricket tour without anyone testing positive?
    Well I was hoping that none of the players tested positive even before they stepped on UK shores.



  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,171
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the players couldn't limit their activities to refrain from catching COVID just before the tour then i'm unsure whether Pakistani players should be trusted in England.

    It's a fact that Pakistani's and Bengali's abroad are disproportionately affected by Corona. One of the primary reasons suggested is the ingrained cultural inability to take a pandemic seriously.

    However secure this bubble tries to be, there are Brit-Pakistani's citizens in the UK with significant influence and Pakistani cricketers who clearly will not be taking the isolation process seriously.

    I'm genuinely concerned that a combination of the two could lead to a rule breaking scenario during the tour which causes an outbreak.
    Last edited by hitthestump; 23rd June 2020 at 04:21.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    5,078
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The general recovery period is two weeks, especially for asymptomatic people. They can still easily make the tour. What more, they won't get reinfected anytime soon. PCB should also be doing antibody tests to see how many have already have had the virus. Will make things easier for them going forward.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    @Junaids was right

    I should get corona test as well, community spread in Pakistan is rampant. One of the worst in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    As per studies around 20-50% + of the carriers around the world are asymptomatic i.e they are not in the data as they dont have any symptoms and thus dont get tested. As per studies they dont transmit it to others easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Fingers crossed, there aren't too many more players who test positive, or this tour of England is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Well I was hoping that none of the players tested positive even before they stepped on UK shores.
    I only realised about a week ago that community transmission was almost certainly rampant in Pakistan but with inadequate testing to detect it.

    I suspect that the loss of Haris and Shadab is just the start: Pakistan is going to be unable to put together an uninfected bowling attack.

    I suspect almost half the squad will be positive: people needed to stop having cooks and cleaners and maids and any other domestic worker and needed to be self-isolating as much as possible since March.

    Itís embarrassing that the West Indies tour of England will proceed and that the Pakistan one has been ended by the poor education of the players and the lack of leadership and direction from the PCB.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    The general recovery period is two weeks, especially for asymptomatic people. They can still easily make the tour. What more, they won't get reinfected anytime soon. PCB should also be doing antibody tests to see how many have already have had the virus. Will make things easier for them going forward.
    Do you honestly think that the UK will grant visas to people who were infected so recently?

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Do you honestly think that the UK will grant visas to people who were infected so recently?
    Yes, if they use common sense. They are issuing visas to people as it is, without any screening whatsoever.

    And here, we are talking about people who have will have tested negative by the time they get to UK with no chance of reinfection. They should be issuing visas to such people on priority basis, not the other way around.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    The general recovery period is two weeks, especially for asymptomatic people. They can still easily make the tour. What more, they won't get reinfected anytime soon. PCB should also be doing antibody tests to see how many have already have had the virus. Will make things easier for them going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    Yes, if they use common sense. They are issuing visas to people as it is, without any screening whatsoever.

    And here, we are talking about people who have will have tested negative by the time they get to UK with no chance of reinfection. They should be issuing visas to such people on priority basis, not the other way around.
    Thereís actually evidence that some people turn negative and then positive again.

    These players are going nowhere. Then again, this tour isnít going to happen now. The positive tests have wrecked it.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,213
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imagine if there are a few more positive results announced today, the tour will likely be called off.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    32,512
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I hope they do a second test in few days.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Thereís actually evidence that some people turn negative and then positive again.

    These players are going nowhere. Then again, this tour isnít going to happen now. The positive tests have wrecked it.
    There is none. Please cite a proper study for it being the case, not anecdotal evidence. Infact studies from South Korea have looked into it in detail. What happens in those cases of supposed reinfection is just the result of PCR being too sensitive. It's picking up remnant non-infectious viral fragments.

    So far we have no cases of reinfection or the virus being activated again. Those are false positives owing to the extreme sensitivity of the PCR test.

    Those who have had the virus and have cleared are the safest people to be on tour, they effectively have had their vaccine already. And we know for certain that once you get infected by n-CoV it does provide lasting (a few months at least, will probably be longer) immunity.

    There is no reason to jump to extremes. The tour could very well not go ahead but it shouldn't and hopefully wouldn't be due to three positive tests which will turn negative well before the tour dates arrive.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I hope they do a second test in few days.
    That should be the case. And another one within a couple of weeks.

    Plus they should do antibody tests on all the negative players too. I wouldn't be surprised if some test positive for that as well.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    4,133
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I only realised about a week ago that community transmission was almost certainly rampant in Pakistan but with inadequate testing to detect it.

    I suspect that the loss of Haris and Shadab is just the start: Pakistan is going to be unable to put together an uninfected bowling attack.

    I suspect almost half the squad will be positive: people needed to stop having cooks and cleaners and maids and any other domestic worker and needed to be self-isolating as much as possible since March.

    Itís embarrassing that the West Indies tour of England will proceed and that the Pakistan one has been ended by the poor education of the players and the lack of leadership and direction from the PCB.
    Pakistani people's response to COVID19 in these past few weeks has been really disappointing.

    And yeah, PCB should cancel this tour. Nothing is more important than one's wellbeing.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Thereís actually evidence that some people turn negative and then positive again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    There is none. Please cite a proper study for it being the case, not anecdotal evidence. .
    This is a new virus. This sort of evidence is all that you are going to get at this stage.

    Itís enough to call off the tour.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well soon..... Our prayers are with you.....

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    133,201
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I hope they do a second test in few days.
    Yes next test to be done on 25th June.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  61. #61
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,396
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do they know how long its been since they contracted the virus?

    If they are towards the end, shouldn't be an issue, right?

  62. #62
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Shame on PPers blaming the players for their positive tests - without knowing reasons.

    I understand the need to hold players to a higher standard while most people in Pakistan are merrily out and about. But if we look at the world around us, there are high profile celebrities and sports figures positive everywhere, many without knowing.

    Give the players a break!!
    What shame?

    Going to Iftar parties, in person interviews and picnics is a great thing to do

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmkextreme_1 View Post
    Do they know how long its been since they contracted the virus?

    If they are towards the end, shouldn't be an issue, right?
    No country is going to give anyone a visa for many months after they had Coronavirus.

    Haider, Rauf and Shadab are out of this tour.

    And if 2 more players out of the remaining 24 test positive there wonít even be a tour.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    425
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tbh There is no way for anyone to avoid corona anymore at least not in Pakistan Suspected cases are way more then we can imagine.(In millions)
    And these athletes are highly active ,they Train , and also are Young So Unless someone has underlying hidden condition They are expected to Recover in 10 days and also plus point they didn't showed any symptoms so Wishing them good recovery ✌️

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    281
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have tested them earlier considering they were hardly following social distancing rules.

    I wonder how many other players and people they have been in contact with.

    PCB needs to get their act together

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No country is going to give anyone a visa for many months after they had Coronavirus.

    Haider, Rauf and Shadab are out of this tour.

    And if 2 more players out of the remaining 24 test positive there wonít even be a tour.
    To illustrate this, Iím driving in country New South Wales currently, and the positive tests on the sports news at 4 pm on the radio were presented as:

    ďPaceman Haris Rauf is in doubt for the BBL after failing a Coronavirus test.Ē

    I donít think he will be on the plane to England on Sunday. Not a chance.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,909
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No country is going to give anyone a visa for many months after they had Coronavirus.

    Haider, Rauf and Shadab are out of this tour.

    And if 2 more players out of the remaining 24 test positive there won’t even be a tour.
    Dybala had covid19 and he is playing for juventus right now lol

  68. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    133,201
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)


    Yep. Prayers needed.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Dybala had covid19 and he is playing for juventus right now lol
    After testing positive 6 times across an 8 week span.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    This is a new virus. This sort of evidence is all that you are going to get at this stage.

    Itís enough to call off the tour.
    But it is a virus. It behaves like every other virus. Once you get cleared you don't get infected again. You have immunity.

    What exactly is this sort of evidence? I am sorry but this is just silly. There is none.

    The tour is not going to called of if some players test positive. As for the players, they will play if they test negative later. Infact they should be the first ones allowed to enter, because again, they have cleared the virus and have immunity. The virus is a live vaccine.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    14,844
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No country is going to give anyone a visa for many months after they had Coronavirus.

    Haider, Rauf and Shadab are out of this tour.
    Thats not true Im not sure where you are getting this info from but the uk hardly has strict rules on this matter

    Theyll be back on the plane when they are covid free in a couple of weeks

  72. #72
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    133,201
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  73. #73
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    133,201
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Thats not true Im not sure where you are getting this info from but the uk hardly has strict rules on this matter

    Theyll be back on the plane when they are covid free in a couple of weeks
    This isnt about a trip to Piccadilly Circus - there are rules about a bio-secure environment where safety of both teams are at stake. ECB will need to be doubly careful about who they allow in that environment etc.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    This isnt about a trip to Piccadilly Circus - there are rules about a bio-secure environment where safety of both teams are at stake. ECB will need to be doubly careful about who they allow in that environment etc.
    Yes and people who have gotten the virus and tested negative are the most secure people.

    1- They are negative (so as good as others).
    2- They have effectively taken a vaccine as well (better than the rest).

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,213
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    But it is a virus. It behaves like every other virus. Once you get cleared you don't get infected again. You have immunity.

    What exactly is this sort of evidence? I am sorry but this is just silly. There is none.

    The tour is not going to called of if some players test positive. As for the players, they will play if they test negative later. Infact they should be the first ones allowed to enter, because again, they have cleared the virus and have immunity. The virus is a live vaccine.
    We really can't be sure about this, there are limited data points available to actually confirm whether long-lasting immunity is conferred once someone is infected once.

    There are some recent reports that antibodies in infected patients only last for a limited time period, so there could be a risk of re-infection. Given the extent of complications from this virus that have already been observed and the sheer randomness of how it behaves from person to person, it is not prudent to go about making any firm assumptions.

    Under such a scenario, the precautionary principle should apply till a vaccine is developed. Fiddling with people's lives based on a set of assumptions is immoral.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    14,844
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    This isnt about a trip to Piccadilly Circus - there are rules about a bio-secure environment where safety of both teams are at stake. ECB will need to be doubly careful about who they allow in that environment etc.
    Yes im aware of that and this is a huge setback but i was challenging junaids assertion that players testing positive wont be given visas now when covid free - thats just not true

  77. #77
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    638
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    This isnt about a trip to Piccadilly Circus - there are rules about a bio-secure environment where safety of both teams are at stake. ECB will need to be doubly careful about who they allow in that environment etc.
    When will the remaining test results come out?

  78. #78
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    9,256
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    We really can't be sure about this, there are limited data points available to actually confirm whether long-lasting immunity is conferred once someone is infected once.

    There are some recent reports that antibodies in infected patients only last for a limited time period, so there could be a risk of re-infection. Given the extent of complications from this virus that have already been observed and the sheer randomness of how it behaves from person to person, it is not prudent to go about making any firm assumptions.

    Under such a scenario, the precautionary principle should apply till a vaccine is developed. Fiddling with people's lives based on a set of assumptions is immoral.

    True but it's been six months already, and we do have that much protection atleast. It's probably much longer since it's not a virus like influenza that mutates almost every season.

    After a SARS infection, people had immunity for as long as ten years, 2-3 atleast. It shouldn't be a surprise if this also offers long term immunity being related to SARS.

    The virus is not different than any other virus, in the sense that it is a virus. What we know about viruses applies to this as well. I should have been clearer but that's what I meant.

    Antibody production does vary from person to person but that depends on a lot of factors, still everyone produces antibodies.

    Further antibodies are not the sole line of defence. Memory cells offer much longer protection and are the real deal. They can produce antibodies again if required.

    How do you think a vaccine works? It does the same thing a direct infection does. It helps train the immune system against future infection. Now a vaccine uses a weakened or an inactivated version of the virus or in new technologies a part of the virus attached to something else(mRNA, DNA or viral vectors); so that you don't get sick.

    A live infection will do the same job, infact the immunity generated by an infection should be much greater, which why we compare the antibody titers generated by a vaccine to those from the actual infection. If they are the same, it's the gold standard.
    Last edited by Arsal_AK; 23rd June 2020 at 14:49.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,072
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    How do you think a vaccine works? It does the same thing a direct infection does. It helps train the immune system against future infection.

    A live infection will do the same job, infact the immunity generated by an infection should be much greater, which why we compare the antibody titers generated by a vaccine to those from the actual infection. If they are the same, it's the gold standard.
    And how many Coronaviruses do we have effective vaccines against?

    ZERO.

    This current one is still being studied, and no responsible authority should take risks with it.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    19,030
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No country is going to give anyone a visa for many months after they had Coronavirus.

    Haider, Rauf and Shadab are out of this tour.

    And if 2 more players out of the remaining 24 test positive there won’t even be a tour.
    The tour is going ahead. These players are also coming, maybe a little later


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •