Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    "The ECB should repay this favour by Pakistan and make a return tour" : Aamir Sohail

    In his latest blog for PakPassion.net, Aamir Sohail writes about why he feels that England are ethically bound to make a return tour to Pakistan, the absence of top domestic performers from the Pakistan squad for the tour of England, Younis Khan’s appointment as batting consultant, Mushtaq Ahmed’s unsatisfactory track-record as spin-bowling coach for Pakistan and why Babar Azam needs to be mentored to become a good captain.


    Name:  yk_muh.jpg
Views: 10326
Size:  165.0 KB


    England are ethically bound to make a return tour to Pakistan

    I am pleased that PCB have made the effort to honour their FTP commitment and visit England to play the Test and T20I series. I believe that such tours, especially in these troubling times, are very important and send a positive message to the rest of the world. It shows that cricket boards are ready to stand by each other in tough times, as each has contractually binding commitments with their sponsors and broadcasters.

    So, for one cricket board to go out of their way to help another as Pakistan is doing is commendable and sets a great precedence for others to follow. The ECB should repay this favour by Pakistan and make a return tour which to me is also the ethically correct thing to do on their part. However, for that to happen, the PCB will need to approach the matter in an intelligent way and negotiate the issue to the satisfaction of both parties.


    Top domestic performers should have been picked for the tour of England

    There are always differing views whenever a squad is selected for a series, but my biggest reservation is regarding the choice of batsmen. We were led to believe that PCB’s reorganisation of the domestic structure which involved the elimination of departmental teams and the introduction of six teams in the First-Class and an equal number of 2nd XI sides would lead to an improvement in the quality of our cricketers. Well, I don’t see the top performers in First-Class cricket included in the squad and to me that is nothing but an admission of failure by the PCB in terms of what they wanted to achieve by changing the domestic structure. If we are struggling in the batting department and are having to fall-back on veterans like Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik then why not try out some youngsters and do justice to their talent, and get some good back-ups ready as well?


    Younis Khan’s appointment as batting consultant is an admission of failure by the PCB

    The fact is that Misbah-ul-Haq for reasons best known to the PCB, was given the roles of Head Coach and Chief Selector, and he was also looking after the position of batting coach. Many of us commented then that this was not a good idea as batsmen who are struggling in some aspect of their batting are unlikely to share their problems with the Batting Coach who happens to be the Chief Selector and the Head Coach as well. In that context, Younis Khan’s appointment, whilst recognising his experience, is proof that the PCB are accepting the fact that they made the wrong decision by entrusting Misbah with so many roles. What the PCB are implying is that Misbah is not a good enough batting coach which is why they had to bring in someone like Younis Khan into the picture as a batting consultant.


    Question marks hang over Waqar Younis’s judgement as Bowling Coach

    I am curious as to why Musa Khan, who was hailed as a Test player and given a debut against Australia, was then discarded from the Pakistan squad bound for England. This shows a huge flaw in Bowling Coach Waqar Younis’s judgement as it’s difficult to understand why Musa didn’t find a place in the original squad. He could well make it to England given the Covid-19 tests situation, but the fact is that he wasn’t deemed to be good enough to be part of the initial squad whereas Sohail Khan has been brought back into the fold.


    Mushtaq Ahmed has an unsatisfactory track record as spin bowling coach for Pakistan

    Given that the state of pitches in England will be very fresh due to no cricket being played so far, off-spinners are not likely to figure much, but fast-bowlers and leg-spinners will be of much more use. We all know that Yasir Shah has been struggling to perform in Tests and Shadab Khan, if he does make it to England will need the services of a leg-spinner as a bowling coach. So, to take Mushtaq Ahmed on the tour of England as a spin bowling coach is a logical decision. However, there are huge doubts about what he actually brings to the table in terms of a proven track record in helping players to improve. However, since PCB have entrusted him with the role of a spin bowling coach, one can only presume that they believe in him, but it’s about time he achieved and repaid PCB’s faith in him.


    Pakistan have ample time to prepare for the Test series against England

    Whilst Pakistan would be going up against an England side that will have played 3 Tests against West Indies, the fact is that this should provide them with a good opportunity to gauge their opposition’s strengths and weaknesses and then prepare accordingly. After all, at this level where skill-sets are similar between teams, it’s all about how you prepare for a series and this would be a good opportunity for Pakistan to do the same. With a squad of up to 29 players, Pakistan should be able to organise competitive inter-squad matches and given the time in hand, the players will have ample opportunities to practice their strategies for the series.


    Haider Ali needs to be looked after by the Pakistan coaching staff and not discarded after a few failures

    Pakistan need to be very careful as to how they utilise Haider Ali’s talent because in the recent past we have seen players like Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal and Umar Amin, being touted as the next comings of Sachin Tendulkar, only to see them fade away due to the mismanagement of their talent. If Haider Ali has been fast-tracked to the national team ahead of other top performers in First-Class cricket then the onus will be on the coaching staff to ensure that they are proven right by investing time in Haider and not simply discarding him at the first sign of trouble.


    Pakistan has the ability to compete well against England

    I do believe that Pakistan can compete really well in the series against England, but it will depend upon the state of pitches and how well they prepare. In terms of bowling strength, the Pakistan bowling attack is pretty strong with Shaheen Shah Afridi looking most likely to be the top performer in the Test series. The only issue, as always, will be with our batting but if they can put up scores of 300+ then they will give their team a very good chance of dominating the home team.


    ICC Technical Committee failed to take intelligent decisions

    There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that the ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic has led to unprecedented testing times for the world of cricket. But I do believe that the ICC technical committee should have done a better job of taking decisions to help the game at this point in time. I specifically refer to the ban on using saliva to shine the ball which will have a huge affect on the ability of bowlers to swing the ball. Now saliva by nature is heavier than sweat and it does help in making the ball a little heavier on one side and it also has some enzymes which help in lubricating and providing shine to the ball.

    With this ability to shine the ball taken away, the ICC should have considered other means of helping the bowlers such as allowing the new ball to be taken after 60 overs instead of the current limit of 80 overs. In addition, the use of artificial saliva which is used for people who are diabetic could have been explored as well. If we are asking players to risk their lives by playing cricket during the Coronavirus Pandemic, then it makes no sense for the ICC technical committee to pay scant regard to making the game even in terms of the ball and bat. We know these are tough times for all so exceptions should have been considered and out of the box thinking and a flexible approach was required which unfortunately, the ICC has failed to do.


    It’s much better to postpone the T20 World Cup rather than play matches in empty stadiums

    Playing an event like the T20 World Cup in empty stadiums will not only take away the charm of the whole event but it will also not bring benefits to the home country’s service sector as no spectators will travel to Australia. There is very little point in having the T20 World Cup under such conditions and it’s right that the ICC is taking its time to carefully deliberate the rescheduling of this event. If we recall, back in 1992, the World Cup took place as late as March in Australia so there is plenty of time for the ICC to reschedule the T20 World Cup.

    I feel the best way forward for the ICC would be to let all the sides know that the tournament is being deferred to March 2021 to allow them to prepare in advance. If God forbid, the Coronavirus Pandemic is still a threat at that time then the tournament can be delayed further as playing a World Cup in front of empty stadiums would be a travesty.


    No point having Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik if T20 World Cup is postponed

    If the T20 World Cup does take place by September, then there is some logic to include both Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik in the squad until that time, as there really are no short-term replacements ready to take their place. If the T20 World Cup is moved beyond the end of this year, then it would make no sense to have both of these veterans associated with the squad and we need to look for replacements. But unfortunately, we are now in a situation where we weren’t far-sighted enough to have groomed some of our top domestic performers to avoid exactly this kind of situation in which we find ourselves in.


    Misbah-ul-Haq must ensure that Babar Azam doesn’t make the same mistakes as he did when he was captain

    If Babar has been identified as Pakistan’s captain in at least 2 formats of the game, then it’s incumbent upon the PCB to help him become the best captain he can be. This can be achieved by identifying any weaknesses in his leadership qualities and by good mentoring. But if Misbah is to be Babar’s mentor, then we have a problem because he was himself criticised for being a defensive captain. The onus is on Misbah to be honest about his own deficiencies as a captain and to make sure that Babar does not make the same mistakes he made, especially when it comes to making sure that the younger players are given good chances to ensure a brighter future for Pakistan cricket.


    The Mohammad Hafeez COVID-19 test fiasco has been caused due to PCB's mismanagement of the issue

    The whole Mohammad Hafeez COVID-19 test fiasco has been a matter of embarrassment for Pakistan and I fail to understand how this matter was handled so badly by the PCB. Firstly tests were done after the squad was announced and instead of doing all tests in one laboratory, players were sent to different facilities for tests resulting in conflicting reports. Without jumping the gun, they should have done scrutiny of those results and if needed got them redone to confirm before going public with them. And to expect Mohammad Hafeez to not go public with results of his COVID-19 test when PCB had announced that he had tested positive would be unrealistic as he is not bound by any code of conduct which would be the case if he was a centrally contracted player.
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th June 2020 at 23:21.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Aamir Sohail's thoughts regarding Shoaib Akhtar on his video channel.

    Last edited by MenInG; 26th June 2020 at 12:25.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great analysis. I always enjoy your analyses Aamir bhai

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    389
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes some valid points. Don't think ECB is going to feel ethically bound to return the favour.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Aamir Sohail's latest YouTube video



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Respecting FTP is now called a favor.

    If Pakistan were not scheduled to tour England this summer, it would have been a favor.

    However, that is not the case. This series was decided before COVID and thus we are not doing any favors.

    There is no ethical or moral obligation on ECB to tour Pakistan.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,371
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Respecting FTP is now called a favor.

    If Pakistan were not scheduled to tour England this summer, it would have been a favor.

    However, that is not the case. This series was decided before COVID and thus we are not doing any favors.

    There is no ethical or moral obligation on ECB to tour Pakistan.
    England and India cancelled their respective tours of Srilanka which were on FTP due to Covid-19. India's tour was in July and Srilankan board requested India not to cancel that. So will we say they disrespected the FTP and ICC should do something about it?

    Surely these are extreme scenarios and nobody is obliged to follow FTP as well and if someone is going out of the way to still tour on the request of boards it should be considered a favor.

    So either we can say Pakistan is doing a favor or we can say England and India were wrong in not following the FTP and they disrespected the FTP, one of them has to be the correct statement as Pakistan is no way was obliged to tour England just like England or India werent to tour Srilanka given the current scenario. Also not to forget Srl isnt as badly hit by Covid-19 as England.

    I am not implying England is bound to tour Pakistan, would expect them to follow the FTP though.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    2,092
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some great points made and some interesting ones.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    @Titan24

    England cancelled SL series at the beginning of the pandemic. No one knew what was going on and there was considerable panic. They left SL just like we cancelled PSL.

    As far as India is concerned, look they are the most powerful board in the world and SLCB are nobodies. Have BCCI showed insensitivity? Well yes they have, but this is what happens when you are too powerful the other party cannot do anything.

    Iím certain if England were scheduled to tour Pakistan right now they wouldnít do it, and it is the same as the BCCI-SLCB situation.

    See the issue is that Pakistan is not in a position to say no to an England tour. An England tour is a major event for any cricket nation and considering the fact that Pakistan do not get frequent matches against the top sides, skipping a 3 match Test series in England is something that we cannot afford.

    We can plant a chip on our shoulder and go to England with a sense of entitlement, but the reality is that we are not touring England with the intention of helping.

    We are touring England because not doing so would have significant repercussions. It would mean Pakistan losing out on a rare full Test series against a big 3, and it could also mean that England might get upset and refuse to tour Pakistan in the future.

    This tour would have been a favor if Pakistan would not be risking anything by refusing to tour.

    India touring SL would have been a favor because they are not risking anything by saying no to SL.

    If Pakistan were scheduled to tour Zimbabwe right now and they would go ahead with it, then it would have been a favor.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,371
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    @Titan24

    England cancelled SL series at the beginning of the pandemic. No one knew what was going on and there was considerable panic. They left SL just like we cancelled PSL.

    As far as India is concerned, look they are the most powerful board in the world and SLCB are nobodies. Have BCCI showed insensitivity? Well yes they have, but this is what happens when you are too powerful the other party cannot do anything.

    I’m certain if England were scheduled to tour Pakistan right now they wouldn’t do it, and it is the same as the BCCI-SLCB situation.

    See the issue is that Pakistan is not in a position to say no to an England tour. An England tour is a major event for any cricket nation and considering the fact that Pakistan do not get frequent matches against the top sides, skipping a 3 match Test series in England is something that we cannot afford.

    We can plant a chip on our shoulder and go to England with a sense of entitlement, but the reality is that we are not touring England with the intention of helping.

    We are touring England because not doing so would have significant repercussions. It would mean Pakistan losing out on a rare full Test series against a big 3, and it could also mean that England might get upset and refuse to tour Pakistan in the future.

    This tour would have been a favor if Pakistan would not be risking anything by refusing to tour.

    India touring SL would have been a favor because they are not risking anything by saying no to SL.

    If Pakistan were scheduled to tour Zimbabwe right now and they would go ahead with it, then it would have been a favor.
    Point well made. Thing is I am not sure how ECB is looking at this tour from Pakistan but, reality is the the ex players as well as Pak fans feel that ECB should know that it wasnt a straight forward decision and to be honest considering the situation it wasnt.

    Yes definitely tour of England is considered a big tour in the cricketing world but still that decision between lives and safety of players and playing cricket (Even in England) is not a straight forward one so even if we dont want to call it a favor atleast it should be considered as something more than following a normal FTP in my opinion.

    Finally it would be upto ECB how they are looking at it. While I dont think they would be bound in any way after that but would definitely be something which might come into their mind if they will have to ponder over touring Pakistan. I hope we can successfully host PSL and other teams before that time so that they didnt have to weigh the decision much.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    7,640
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think England would have come to Pakistan in late 2022 anyways. By then, we'll have hosted PSL in Pakistan 3 times, and even more tours from international teams.

    The team that's gonna be hard to convince is Australia. I don't think they'll come to Pakistan in 2022.


    Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

  12. #12
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    389
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming England did return the favour what airline would they be using on flights within Pakistan?

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
    Assuming England did return the favour what airline would they be using on flights within Pakistan?
    Is that even a concern?

    They are flying Pakistan on a chartered flight so same can be done, unless Emirates etc are not flying to Pakistan.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Respecting FTP is now called a favor.

    If Pakistan were not scheduled to tour England this summer, it would have been a favor.

    However, that is not the case. This series was decided before COVID and thus we are not doing any favors.

    There is no ethical or moral obligation on ECB to tour Pakistan.
    Dont think you understand the issue at all.

    1. Issue is that there is a global Coronavirus Pandemic.
    2. People would rather stay home then sit in a plane and leave families etc
    3. In such a case, it would be accepted as OK, regardless of FTP or QLM or whatever.
    4. Pakistan are doing a FAVOUR by flying out and exposing their players to disease.
    5. England are grateful because no amount of insurance would insure them for the losses incurred etc
    6. Unfortunate that a simple thing has to be broken down in bite size for people to understand.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan batsman Aamer Sohail feels it would be better to postpone the T20 World Cup as playing matches in empty stadiums will not only take the charm away but also not be financially beneficial.

    The T20 World Cup is scheduled to be held from October 18 to November 15 but has been shrouded in doubt due to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

    “Playing an event like the T20 World Cup in empty stadiums will not only take away the charm of the whole event but it will also not bring benefits to the home country’s service sector as no spectators will travel to Australia,” Sohail wrote in his blog for PakPassion.net.

    “There is very little point in having the T20 World Cup under such conditions and it’s right that the ICC is taking its time to carefully deliberate the rescheduling of this event. If we recall, back in 1992, the World Cup took place as late as March in Australia so there is plenty of time for the ICC to reschedule the T20 World Cup.

    “I feel the best way forward for the ICC would be to let all the sides know that the tournament is being deferred to March 2021 to allow them to prepare in advance. If God forbid, the coronavirus pandemic is still a threat at that time then the tournament can be delayed further as playing a World Cup in front of empty stadiums would be a travesty.”

    Sohail also expressed his dismay regarding the ban of use of saliva to shine match balls put forward by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

    “I do believe that the ICC technical committee should have done a better job of taking decisions to help the game at this point in time,” said the 53-year old who has played 47 Tests and 156 ODIs for Pakistan.

    “I specifically refer to the ban on using saliva to shine the ball which will have a huge affect on the ability of bowlers to swing the ball.

    “Now saliva by nature is heavier than sweat and it does help in making the ball a little heavier on one side and it also has some enzymes which help in lubricating and providing shine to the ball.

    “With this ability to shine the ball taken away, the ICC should have considered other means of helping the bowlers such as allowing the new ball to be taken after 60 overs instead of the current limit of 80 overs. In addition, the use of artificial saliva which is used for people who are diabetic could have been explored as well. If we are asking players to risk their lives by playing cricket during the coronavirus pandemic, then it makes no sense for the ICC technical committee to pay scant regard to making the game even in terms of the ball and bat.”

    https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/s...ans-1.72272267
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th June 2020 at 23:11.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  16. #16
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan batsman Aamir Sohail has questioned bowling coach Waqar Younis' judgment, raising queries on why Muhammad Musa has not been picked for Pakistan's tour of England.

    Musa, 19, made his Test debut in Australia late last year at Adelaide but went wicketless. He has not played a Test after that and isn't a part of the touring party to England.

    "I am curious as to why Musa Khan, who was hailed as a Test player and given a debut against Australia, was then discarded from the Pakistan squad bound for England," Sohail wrote in his column for PakPassion.net. "This shows a huge flaw in Bowling Coach Waqar Younis’s judgement as it’s difficult to understand why Musa didn’t find a place in the original squad.

    "He could well make it to England given the Covid-19 tests situation, but the fact is that he wasn’t deemed to be good enough to be part of the initial squad whereas Sohail Khan has been brought back into the fold."

    Sohail was also critical of spin coach Mushtaq Ahmed, saying the former legspinner has to repay Pakistan Cricket Board's consistent faith in him.

    "Given that the state of pitches in England will be very fresh due to no cricket being played so far, off-spinners are not likely to figure much, but fast-bowlers and leg-spinners will be of much more use. We all know that Yasir Shah has been struggling to perform in Tests and Shadab Khan, if he does make it to England will need the services of a leg-spinner as a bowling coach," Sohail wrote.

    "So, to take Mushtaq Ahmed on the tour of England as a spin bowling coach is a logical decision. However, there are huge doubts about what he actually brings to the table in terms of a proven track record in helping players to improve. However, since PCB have entrusted him with the role of a spin bowling coach, one can only presume that they believe in him, but it’s about time he achieved and repaid PCB’s faith in him."

    https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...l-2688839.html


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  17. #17
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Dont think you understand the issue at all.

    1. Issue is that there is a global Coronavirus Pandemic.
    2. People would rather stay home then sit in a plane and leave families etc
    3. In such a case, it would be accepted as OK, regardless of FTP or QLM or whatever.
    4. Pakistan are doing a FAVOUR by flying out and exposing their players to disease.
    5. England are grateful because no amount of insurance would insure them for the losses incurred etc
    6. Unfortunate that a simple thing has to be broken down in bite size for people to understand.
    I understand the issue well. I donít think we are in a position to force the ďfavor narrativeĒ down ECBís throats because we stand to lose a lot if we donít tour England.

    Please refer to my reply to Titan24.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I understand the issue well. I don’t think we are in a position to force the “favor narrative” down ECB’s throats because we stand to lose a lot if we don’t tour England.

    Please refer to my reply to Titan24.
    No one is asking it to be pushed down anyone's throats - read what Aamir said - he said PCB will need to be careful how they ask for this but the fact is that there is a lot of sympathy for this position - see Saj's Nasser Hussain tweet on this.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Amir Sohail often complains and whines for the heck of it, and often due to personal biases, it is totally fair to call out Waqar on his dubious bowling selection.

    Musa being given a debut game in Australia and then Naseem inexplicably sitting out of the second test. It's just so sad that there's no accountability in Pakistan for such mindless decisions; decisions that impact an entire tour!

  20. #20
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    No one is asking it to be pushed down anyone's throats - read what Aamir said - he said PCB will need to be careful how they ask for this but the fact is that there is a lot of sympathy for this position - see Saj's Nasser Hussain tweet on this.
    MenIng, why bother to hit your head against a brick wall? We all know that this guy would always go against the general consensus just to get some quotes and stir some s#it!

    In the other thread, he was justifying BCCI's request on getting aasurity from PCB regarding terrorist activities

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The Younis Khan appointment is an interesting point.

    You have Misbah there, a man with so much experience who is a batsman, why the need for Younis Khan.



  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

    Musa being given a debut game in Australia and then Naseem inexplicably sitting out of the second test.
    He had only recently recovered from a year-long back injury so they didnít want to overbowl him.

    No offense but Waqar did the right thing with sitting Naseem out for the second test.

    Also his mom had just passed away, they let Naseem play the first test because of how important it was to him and to his mother ó he wanted her to see him play. And Naseem mentioned in a press conference later that him playing that match was what she would have wanted him to do.

    But the management did the right thing by giving him a break after that.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The Younis Khan appointment is an interesting point.

    You have Misbah there, a man with so much experience who is a batsman, why the need for Younis Khan.
    I think PCB has admitted it made a mistake by not appointing a batting coach before. It is a sign of good management to recognize the mistakes and correct them.

    Misbah is already saddled with so many other duties, he canít possibly have enough time to work on batting as well

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    35,095
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The Younis Khan appointment is an interesting point.

    You have Misbah there, a man with so much experience who is a batsman, why the need for Younis Khan.
    Because Misbah ul Haq was an ordinary batsman in comparison to Younis Khan.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The situation with Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez continues to remain puzzling. Hafeez, who was tested positive in a coronavirus test conducted by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Tuesday, did a personal test on Wednesday which revealed he was negative for the virus. Now, reportedly, in another round of test conducted by PCB, Hafeez was found positive again. At the same time, Hafeez’s troubles are compounded by the fact that PCB the is not pleased with him for taking a private test in the first place.

    In a recent interaction, PCB CEO Wasim Khan said that Hafeez’s decision to take a private test without consulting the board has caused a problem. But former Pakistan captain Aamer Sohail has come out in Hafeez’s defense, saying that the matter of testing players was badly handled by the board.

    “The whole Mohammad Hafeez COVID-19 test fiasco has been a matter of embarrassment for Pakistan and I fail to understand how this matter was handled so badly by the PCB,” Sohail wrote in his blog for PakPassion.net.

    “Firstly tests were done after the squad was announced and instead of doing all tests in one laboratory, players were sent to different facilities for tests resulting in conflicting reports.

    “Without jumping the gun, they should have done scrutiny of those results and if needed got them redone to confirm before going public with them.

    “And to expect Mohammad Hafeez to not go public with results of his COVID-19 test when PCB had announced that he had tested positive would be unrealistic as he is not bound by any code of conduct which would be the case if he was a centrally contracted player,” the 53-year old added.

    Pakistan is arriving on Sunday without 10 coronavirus-infected players for a cricket tour of England that doesn’t have any scheduled games yet. The England and Wales Cricket Board confirmed the tour on Friday, saying only that the three tests and three Twenty20s will be without spectators.

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...X1xEmnOtL.html


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    He had only recently recovered from a year-long back injury so they didn’t want to overbowl him.

    No offense but Waqar did the right thing with sitting Naseem out for the second test.

    Also his mom had just passed away, they let Naseem play the first test because of how important it was to him and to his mother — he wanted her to see him play. And Naseem mentioned in a press conference later that him playing that match was what she would have wanted him to do.

    But the management did the right thing by giving him a break after that.
    Cannot agree with that at all. We have severely overblown this whole concept of "overbowling". Only in Pakistan are we so concerned about wrapping fast bowlers in cotton wool.

    Also, not sure if you remember this, but Australia only batted ONCE in the first test with Naseem ONLY bowling 20 overs! Are you telling me that he could not handle bowling 20 overs over the course of 5 days and then play another test match after a good break?!

    Naseem needed to play through the tour to gain confidence and crucial experience of Australian conditions. To give him just one match, where mind you he looked quite impressive, was a disservice to him and the team.

    Also, the bungled response regarding his injury rumors didn't help the cause. I remember the team manager intervening and forcing Yasir Shah to stay quite when asked about Naseem's injury concerns in the post-match press conference. The whole thing didn't quite make sense.

  27. #27
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The Younis Khan appointment is an interesting point.

    You have Misbah there, a man with so much experience who is a batsman, why the need for Younis Khan.
    We shouldn't be concerned. After all, Younis did say "I will let Misbah continue with his ways even though I have a lot of experience and have been a top player for years."

  28. #28
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan opener Aamer Sohail has remarked that Younis Khan’s appointment as the batting consultant of Pakistan stems from the PCB’s lack of faith on Misbah Ul Haq, who is serving as the selector as well as the head coach of the team.

    Misbah was appointed Pakistan’s coach and chief selector on a three-year-contract, but under him, the team has won just six out of 15 matches so far. This includes a 0-2 whitewash against Australia in Tests and a 0-2 defeat in T20Is with one match ending in no result, and many former Pakistan cricketers, including Sohail, have questioned Misbah’s dual role, believing it puts the players in a fix.

    “The fact is that Misbah-ul-Haq for reasons best known to the PCB, was given the roles of Head Coach and Chief Selector, and he was also looking after the position of batting coach. Many of us commented then that this was not a good idea as batsmen who are struggling in some aspect of their batting are unlikely to share their problems with the Batting Coach who happens to be the Chief Selector and the Head Coach as well,” Sohail wrote on PakPassion.net

    “In that context, Younis Khan’s appointment, whilst recognising his experience, is proof 0-2 that the PCB are accepting the fact that they made the wrong decision by entrusting Misbah with so many roles. What the PCB are implying is that Misbah is not a good enough batting coach which is why they had to bring in someone like Younis Khan into the picture as a batting consultant.”

    Sohail also weighed in on Babar Azam’s appointment as Pakistan captain across all formats, hoping the batsman does not follow the same path and captaincy style as Misbah. Whatever Babar lacks in his captaincy, can be worked on, reckons, but he also believes that as long as Misbah is the one directing the new Pakistan captain, things may not get any better for Pakistan cricket.

    “If Babar has been identified as Pakistan’s captain in at least two formats of the game, then it’s incumbent upon the PCB to help him become the best captain he can be. This can be achieved by identifying any weaknesses in his leadership qualities and by good mentoring. But if Misbah is to be Babar’s mentor, then we have a problem because he was himself criticised for being a defensive captain,” he said.

    “The onus is on Misbah to be honest about his own deficiencies as a captain and to make sure that Babar does not make the same mistakes he made, especially when it comes to making sure that the younger players are given good chances to ensure a brighter future for Pakistan cricket.”

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...MhQLrcmKI.html


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    5,319
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The Younis Khan appointment is an interesting point.

    You have Misbah there, a man with so much experience who is a batsman, why the need for Younis Khan.
    Younis Khan was levels above Misbah as a batsman.

    Also, Misbah was a substandard batsman against pace, so obvious to say not the ideal man you want as a batting coach.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Younis Khan was levels above Misbah as a batsman.

    Also, Misbah was a substandard batsman against pace, so obvious to say not the ideal man you want as a batting coach.
    Doesn't mean YK will be a better batting coach though does it.



  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    And there you go Musa is in the squad for the tour of England.



  32. #32
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    1,025
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    And there you go Musa is in the squad for the tour of England.
    He should always have been in the squad. Genuine pace bowler and still extremely young. Atleast the tour would be beneficial for him.

    But i fail to understand how Imran and Sohail Khan were picked ahead of him. Especially Imran what has he ever done?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Cannot agree with that at all. We have severely overblown this whole concept of "overbowling". Only in Pakistan are we so concerned about wrapping fast bowlers in cotton wool.

    Also, not sure if you remember this, but Australia only batted ONCE in the first test with Naseem ONLY bowling 20 overs! Are you telling me that he could not handle bowling 20 overs over the course of 5 days and then play another test match after a good break?!

    Naseem needed to play through the tour to gain confidence and crucial experience of Australian conditions. To give him just one match, where mind you he looked quite impressive, was a disservice to him and the team.

    Also, the bungled response regarding his injury rumors didn't help the cause. I remember the team manager intervening and forcing Yasir Shah to stay quite when asked about Naseem's injury concerns in the post-match press conference. The whole thing didn't quite make sense.
    His mom died. He played the match as she wanted then took time to grieve.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,391
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England will tour Pakistan when they are ready. They are under no obligation to tour just because Pakistan are touring during this pandemic.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Madison, Wi ,US
    Runs
    1,295
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Doesn't mean YK will be a better batting coach though does it.
    I think he will see how many batman made centuries batting with him specifically and named YK that he helped them achieving the land mark.

  36. #36
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    His mom died. He played the match as she wanted then took time to grieve.
    So, was the decision made to allow him to grieve or because he was coming back from a long injury break?

    Also, the team management never said anything like that so I guess it's based on conjecture? The only thing we heard were concerns about "overbowling" which are totally invalid as explained in my previous post.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    So, was the decision made to allow him to grieve or because he was coming back from a long injury break?

    Also, the team management never said anything like that so I guess it's based on conjecture? The only thing we heard were concerns about "overbowling" which are totally invalid as explained in my previous post.
    See his recent interview with PakPassion. He was struggling with his mum's death, couldn't sleep, was taking sleeping tablets.



  38. #38
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    See his recent interview with PakPassion. He was struggling with his mum's death, couldn't sleep, was taking sleeping tablets.
    Okay, I haven't gone through the interview and was basing what I said off of what the management had communicated at that time.

    If he was in such a state, it seems like it was terrible decision to take him on the tour in the first place!

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Okay, I haven't gone through the interview and was basing what I said off of what the management had communicated at that time.

    If he was in such a state, it seems like it was terrible decision to take him on the tour in the first place!
    He was already on the tour. They had already reached.

  40. #40
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    He was already on the tour. They had already reached.
    Right, I think his mother died prior to the first test? It just doesn't make sense that they play him in the first game and sit him out in the second to allow him to grieve (as you say). If anything, he could've been given a crack in the second test which was on a more bowling friendly track and also after he'd had some time to settle. The timeline doesn't really add up to for that logic.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    34,103
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Right, I think his mother died prior to the first test? It just doesn't make sense that they play him in the first game and sit him out in the second to allow him to grieve (as you say). If anything, he could've been given a crack in the second test which was on a more bowling friendly track and also after he'd had some time to settle. The timeline doesn't really add up to for that logic.
    The main question for me though is why Naseem Shah was given a debut in Australia of all places ? Why not give him an easier introduction to international cricket by debuting him at home vs Sri Lanka or Bangladesh ?

    That's why I'm sceptical of the team management's ability to develop youngsters, there's little medium and long-term planning.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,371
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Former Pakistan opener Aamer Sohail has remarked that Younis Khanís appointment as the batting consultant of Pakistan stems from the PCBís lack of faith on Misbah Ul Haq, who is serving as the selector as well as the head coach of the team.
    Not a very sound logic. Why did Justin Langer need Greame Hick? Why Ricky Ponting was hired to join Aus team before the World Cup. Did Cricket Australia lack faith in Justin Langer?

    Same is the case with almost every setup around. Thing is cricket management structure has changed, you cant just have a one person dealing with everything in the modern era.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The main question for me though is why Naseem Shah was given a debut in Australia of all places ? Why not give him an easier introduction to international cricket by debuting him at home vs Sri Lanka or Bangladesh ?

    That's why I'm sceptical of the team management's ability to develop youngsters, there's little medium and long-term planning.
    I think theyíre handling Naseem well actually.

    Youíre right that typically you donít want to give someone such a rough debut, but in this case with Amir and Wahab out they definitely had to give SOMEONE a debut or give a comeback to TTF. So itís good they went with a budding youngster with a beautiful action.

    Now their job is to give him a sustained run.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •